HM7
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:02 am

qf789 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

That would explain why they haven't announced another route (existing) for the second frame that will be freed up from MEL-DXB-LHR


Was the 380 reconfigure to occurs in FY19 or Calendar19? That’s going to be a significant period out of service for that too.

Looking forward to hearing the new route regardless!


IIRC they just said 2019, i would expect they would try and get the fleet painted first before starting the refurbs

Why dont they just do both at the same time?
CRJ200, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A320, A332, A380, B717, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763, B744, B744ER
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4631
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:05 am

HM7 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Was the 380 reconfigure to occurs in FY19 or Calendar19? That’s going to be a significant period out of service for that too.

Looking forward to hearing the new route regardless!


IIRC they just said 2019, i would expect they would try and get the fleet painted first before starting the refurbs

Why dont they just do both at the same time?


Probably because the repaints will be done in DXB and refurbs done at TLS
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 am

qf789 wrote:
HM7 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

IIRC they just said 2019, i would expect they would try and get the fleet painted first before starting the refurbs

Why dont they just do both at the same time?


Probably because the repaints will be done in DXB and refurbs done at TLS


Having the refurb done in TLS is a good way to burn up those deferred A380 deposits ;)

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
undertheradar
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:06 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
HM7 wrote:
Why dont they just do both at the same time?


Probably because the repaints will be done in DXB and refurbs done at TLS


Having the refurb done in TLS is a good way to burn up those deferred A380 deposits ;)

EK413


Sounds good to me :) and maybe Qantas will 'throw in' the 2 A332 refits (VH-EBG/L), if there is an outstanding balance ;)
On a different tangent, I notice Q400 VH-QOB is back online after its TSV stay. Silver roo'd? Not sure if another Q400 has taken it place. Cant be bothered searching through the regos at the moment lol
And another tangent, I notice A332 VH-EBK is back online after 16ish days in BNE, Is there a Wi-Fi bubble?
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1407
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 am

QOB is in Silveroo c/s, according to my information. QOC has replaced it in paint in TSV. VYJ, which should also be in Silveroo c/s, is scheduled to operate QF967 on Sunday morning, with another B738 set to take its place in paint.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4631
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:40 pm

737-800 VH-VYJ has been repainted in Silveroo Livery

http://theqantassource.com/qantas-b737- ... intenance/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4631
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Next 737-800 to be repainted is VH-VYL
Forum Moderator
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1407
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 pm

B789 VH-ZNC has been delivered, contractually and physically, and is currently positioning to MEL as QF6026. ETA 2309hrs this evening at this stage.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHZ ... /KPAE/YMML
 
undertheradar
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Q400 VH-QOC out of paint shop...VH-QOD in the paint shop TSV
 
Enobar
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:53 am

undertheradar wrote:

Sounds good to me :) and maybe Qantas will 'throw in' the 2 A332 refits (VH-EBG/L), if there is an outstanding balance ;)


Speaking of those 2.... anyone have any word on when those refits might happen? And if there will be an enlarged galley/crew rest for them? I have a friend booked to PVG (i think i have the code correct.... Shanghai right?) in April and he is very dirty on the fact that he's on one of the last QF A330s with the Skybeds instead of the sexy business suite... While I enjoy teasing him about it, he'd love me for ever if I could tell him the plane was due to be reconfigured before his trip... :-D
 
undertheradar
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:28 am

Enobar Re either of the two remaining 2-2-2 A332s getting refitted by April. I hazard a guess at being zero chance.... BUT there is a chance that a 1-2-1 suite A333 aircraft could operate your friends flight. The A333 has been doing these flights on the odd occasion, but seems very spasmodic. Keep checking the booking/seat map. It could change. Fingers crossed :)
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:28 am

Enobar wrote:
undertheradar wrote:

Sounds good to me :) and maybe Qantas will 'throw in' the 2 A332 refits (VH-EBG/L), if there is an outstanding balance ;)


Speaking of those 2.... anyone have any word on when those refits might happen? And if there will be an enlarged galley/crew rest for them? I have a friend booked to PVG (i think i have the code correct.... Shanghai right?) in April and he is very dirty on the fact that he's on one of the last QF A330s with the Skybeds instead of the sexy business suite... While I enjoy teasing him about it, he'd love me for ever if I could tell him the plane was due to be reconfigured before his trip... :-D

undertheradar wrote:
Enobar Re either of the two remaining 2-2-2 A332s getting refitted by April. I hazard a guess at being zero chance.... BUT there is a chance that a 1-2-1 suite A333 aircraft could operate your friends flight. The A333 has been doing these flights on the odd occasion, but seems very spasmodic. Keep checking the booking/seat map. It could change. Fingers crossed :)

Shanghai (and yes PVG) is actually a schd A333 destination (I think only once weekly on A332 max) so he's actually lucky to get one lol.

Michael
 
undertheradar
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 pm

eamondzhang ooops I was thinking PEK Beijing. (crawls back in hole) lol
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:10 am

undertheradar wrote:
eamondzhang ooops I was thinking PEK Beijing. (crawls back in hole) lol

So you mean your friend bought a ticket to PEK? Lol that explains it. But even then QF goes 2x A333 on PEK.

Michael
 
undertheradar
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:21 am

eamondzhang wrote:
undertheradar wrote:
eamondzhang ooops I was thinking PEK Beijing. (crawls back in hole) lol

So you mean your friend bought a ticket to PEK? Lol that explains it. But even then QF goes 2x A333 on PEK.

Michael


Not my friend. I was replying to a post from Enobar. Anyhoo, time to move on. Don't want this thread to veer off in to 'the twilight zone' :)
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:45 am

undertheradar wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
undertheradar wrote:
eamondzhang ooops I was thinking PEK Beijing. (crawls back in hole) lol

So you mean your friend bought a ticket to PEK? Lol that explains it. But even then QF goes 2x A333 on PEK.

Michael


Not my friend. I was replying to a post from Enobar. Anyhoo, time to move on. Don't want this thread to veer off in to 'the twilight zone' :)

Ah thought you're the guy without checking back :duck:

Cheers
Michael
 
User avatar
DexSwart
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 am

It seems 2007 and Silveroo liveried 737’s are also getting wifi. Even BSI interiors with seatback IFE. How long does it normally take to install the ViaSat system QF are using? I can’t figure out a pattern or discernible reason to the fittings.
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.
 
undertheradar
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 pm

DexSwart wrote:
It seems 2007 and Silveroo liveried 737’s are also getting wifi. Even BSI interiors with seatback IFE. How long does it normally take to install the ViaSat system QF are using? I can’t figure out a pattern or discernible reason to the fittings.


Yep ALL VH- registered 737s (regardless of what paint job or interior), will be fitted with Wi-Fi. Wont comment on the ZK- registered 737s because we don't know for sure what's happening with them and that's another topic. Going by past installs last year, the aircraft were out of service for about 7-10days, but I think this period includes other maintenance on the aircraft as well. This year I have lost track of the 737 Wi-Fi installs so others may have updated info. :)
 
User avatar
JBusworth
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:08 am

undertheradar wrote:
DexSwart wrote:
It seems 2007 and Silveroo liveried 737’s are also getting wifi. Even BSI interiors with seatback IFE. How long does it normally take to install the ViaSat system QF are using? I can’t figure out a pattern or discernible reason to the fittings.


Yep ALL VH- registered 737s (regardless of what paint job or interior), will be fitted with Wi-Fi. Wont comment on the ZK- registered 737s because we don't know for sure what's happening with them and that's another topic. Going by past installs last year, the aircraft were out of service for about 7-10days, but I think this period includes other maintenance on the aircraft as well. This year I have lost track of the 737 Wi-Fi installs so others may have updated info. :)


I would expect the ZK registered 737s to be brought back onto the VH register and fitted with wifi. I know that Qf789 was keeping a list of all the planes with their repaint and wifi install status.
 
User avatar
LamboAston
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 am

All ZK reg 738s will be going to the VH register this year
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4631
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 am

Qantas A388's will start being repainted from March with 8 aircraft due to be painted by EK Engineering

1 A388 will also have its landing gear replaced this month

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... th-qantas#
Forum Moderator
 
downdata
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:50 am

Qantas lapse the first of the 15 options it had on the 789.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sing ... SKBN1FP0DP

Looks like they are being quite cautious on capex. That or the pricing on those options weren’t too far off from the current market...
 
undertheradar
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

737 VH-VYL out of paint shop...VH-VYK in to paint shop at TSV
 
undertheradar
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:11 am

Q400 VH-QOD out...QOE in TSV paint shop
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 am

VH-NHK (100Y) QantasLink 2007 Livery has ferried to XSP earlier today.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
LoganTheBogan
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:49 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 am

Qantas indigenous livery for the 787 unveiled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMFtL_7fjI
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
 
Ellofiend
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 am

LoganTheBogan wrote:
Qantas indigenous livery for the 787 unveiled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMFtL_7fjI


WOW, That looks spectacular IMO, love the blend of orange and red, I think they have done a great job
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4631
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:48 pm

737-800 VH-VZY has been installed with WIFI

http://theqantassource.com/qantas-b737- ... intenance/
Forum Moderator
 
cheski
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 am

Does anyone know if the current 738 painted in indigenous livery (Mendoowoorrji - VH-XZJ) will be updated with the new roo?
 
VHOGU
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 am

cheski wrote:
Does anyone know if the current 738 painted in indigenous livery (Mendoowoorrji - VH-XZJ) will be updated with the new roo?

I’d imagine not for a while. It’s a 2013 build and they still haven’t painted a bunch in the older livery.
 
User avatar
DWC
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Interestingly, Oztrayan CAPA have an article on Qantas renewal needs, subscription required, but clearly stating QF are late in fleet renewal & face high capex ( = K expenditure ), meaning profitability will be hit in the future ( unless airframes are leased ). The small 787 subfleet is not enough to ensure QF's sustainability & growth into the next decade, underlining how the sooner the 777X/A350 campaign is settled, the better.

On a sidenote, a hunch : considering the A380 deposits & QF vocal on downgrading from the whale, the 777X may be too big & expensive for them : the next order may well go to Airbus' A350.


The Qantas fleet is in the news after an S&P report cautioned that Qantas had not invested in fleet in recent years, and as a result the airline faces a large capex bill as fleet renewal becomes imperative.

From having one of the younger fleets in the region, Qantas' average fleet age has steadily crept up, to 10.6 today. A young fleet is good for marketing and when fuel prices are high, but at the other extreme, Delta Air Lines provides a counter-example: one of the industry's oldest fleets, at an average of 17 years, but with new interiors, respected reliability and some of the industry's best profits.

Qantas appears to have many fleeting needs in good order: 787s are replacing some 747s, and Qantas' 777X/A350 campaign will replace the remaining 747s – and perhaps some A380s.

Of Qantas' mainline fleet, 57% is narrowbody 737 aircraft. If Qantas wants to reduce capex it is easy to lease narrowbody aircraft, and Qantas' investment grade rating ensures good deals. Less certain is how many A330s Qantas will need to replace, depending on its future Asian footprint.

Not to be forgotten is Jetstar, which has an immediate need for capex to fund 787 expansion.
https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... eds-400281
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4631
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:01 pm

DWC wrote:
Interestingly, Oztrayan CAPA have an article on Qantas renewal needs, subscription required, but clearly stating QF are late in fleet renewal & face high capex ( = K expenditure ), meaning profitability will be hit in the future ( unless airframes are leased ). The small 787 subfleet is not enough to ensure QF's sustainability & growth into the next decade, underlining how the sooner the 777X/A350 campaign is settled, the better.

On a sidenote, a hunch : considering the A380 deposits & QF vocal on downgrading from the whale, the 777X may be too big & expensive for them : the next order may well go to Airbus' A350.


The Qantas fleet is in the news after an S&P report cautioned that Qantas had not invested in fleet in recent years, and as a result the airline faces a large capex bill as fleet renewal becomes imperative.

From having one of the younger fleets in the region, Qantas' average fleet age has steadily crept up, to 10.6 today. A young fleet is good for marketing and when fuel prices are high, but at the other extreme, Delta Air Lines provides a counter-example: one of the industry's oldest fleets, at an average of 17 years, but with new interiors, respected reliability and some of the industry's best profits.

Qantas appears to have many fleeting needs in good order: 787s are replacing some 747s, and Qantas' 777X/A350 campaign will replace the remaining 747s – and perhaps some A380s.

Of Qantas' mainline fleet, 57% is narrowbody 737 aircraft. If Qantas wants to reduce capex it is easy to lease narrowbody aircraft, and Qantas' investment grade rating ensures good deals. Less certain is how many A330s Qantas will need to replace, depending on its future Asian footprint.

Not to be forgotten is Jetstar, which has an immediate need for capex to fund 787 expansion.
https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... eds-400281


This had been discussed in the Australian Thread a few days ago, on page 10 to be precise if you are interested
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
DWC
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 pm

qf789 wrote:
DWC wrote:
Interestingly, Oztrayan CAPA have an article on Qantas renewal needs, subscription required, but clearly stating QF are late in fleet renewal & face high capex ( = K expenditure ), meaning profitability will be hit in the future ( unless airframes are leased ). The small 787 subfleet is not enough to ensure QF's sustainability & growth into the next decade, underlining how the sooner the 777X/A350 campaign is settled, the better.

On a sidenote, a hunch : considering the A380 deposits & QF vocal on downgrading from the whale, the 777X may be too big & expensive for them : the next order may well go to Airbus' A350.


The Qantas fleet is in the news after an S&P report cautioned that Qantas had not invested in fleet in recent years, and as a result the airline faces a large capex bill as fleet renewal becomes imperative.

From having one of the younger fleets in the region, Qantas' average fleet age has steadily crept up, to 10.6 today. A young fleet is good for marketing and when fuel prices are high, but at the other extreme, Delta Air Lines provides a counter-example: one of the industry's oldest fleets, at an average of 17 years, but with new interiors, respected reliability and some of the industry's best profits.

Qantas appears to have many fleeting needs in good order: 787s are replacing some 747s, and Qantas' 777X/A350 campaign will replace the remaining 747s – and perhaps some A380s.

Of Qantas' mainline fleet, 57% is narrowbody 737 aircraft. If Qantas wants to reduce capex it is easy to lease narrowbody aircraft, and Qantas' investment grade rating ensures good deals. Less certain is how many A330s Qantas will need to replace, depending on its future Asian footprint.

Not to be forgotten is Jetstar, which has an immediate need for capex to fund 787 expansion.
https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... eds-400281


This had been discussed in the Australian Thread a few days ago, on page 10 to be precise if you are interested

Thank you qf789 for pointing this out to me, I appreciate it.
I went to the thread, read all 3 links, but aside of a comment or two, no one has really discussed them. Members were actually more interested in the new QF 789 dreamtime livery ( as in that other duplicate "New Qantas Indigenous Livery" thread ) & other general topics on Oz aviation.

So if you all are ok with this, let's give it another try here, this is the dedicated "Qantas Fleet thread" after all (though I'm aware Qantas controls the majority of the domestic Oz market ). For conversation sake, here are the 3 links, predating the one I quoted & posted by CAPA yesterday :

travelhound wrote:
This is interesting:
Analysts are questiioning QANTAS's current CAPEX spending:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... di-445939/
https://www.ausbt.com.au/can-qantas-aff ... ource=grid

....and a previous article on QANTAS's future CAPEX requirements.
https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-seeks-f ... -a350-jets
 
User avatar
RetroRoo
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 pm

This is something I've kinda never understood. If there can be multiple BA, AA, SG, DL thread about all manner of topics - why must there be a single dedicated Qantas thread (never mind a single dedicated Australia thread)? I don't see the economy in having to scroll through a single thread that deals with tens of wildly different issues when we can dedicate separate threads and be a little more specific. It would make for more orderly conversations and a single dialogue rather than people responding to each other on different issues throughout the entire thread.
 
travelhound
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:00 pm

Maybe QF shareholders should consider a dividend / share buyback penitent for the sins of the past.

I suspect the purchase of four additional 787's for the purpose of growth (new international markets) and funded from a reduction in dividends / share buybacks could substantially change QF's debt profile. The added advantage of increased revenues could in turn be used to invest in new aircraft.

In suggesting this I suppose the question revolves around which new international markets to enter and what sort of profits / free cash flows can be reasonably expected / generated.

Increasing its presence in the New Zealand market including increased Jetstar Trans-Tasman flights and the commencement of Jetstar international flying from Auckland to the Americas could be a reasonable future growth opportunity. This is a growth market with additional opportunities for forwarding traffic to SE Asia (like Australia).

The more Air New Zealand reduces its JV commercial arrangement with Virgin Australia, the more opportunity there will be for the QANTAS group as a whole. For Air New Zealand, a reduced VA commercial arrangement JV business model could simply revolve around a one for me and a one for you (QANTAS) affair. Obviously QF would need Jetstar to invest in new aircraft to undertake this type of expansion.

Even though the Australian domestic market is mature, it is possible the misadventures of Virgin Australia will represent an opportunity for QANTAS to grow its share of the market by an additional 2-3%.

To date we haven’t seen the consequences of the Virgin Australia restructure and its effect on market share. I would suggest there could be 1-2% of market share associated with VA’s reduced regional flying and maybe 0.5% from its mainline operations. From a business perspective this could be a fairly easy market share grab.

If we consider growth in market of 2-3% per year and every 1% of the market requires three additional 737 sized aircraft, growth in market and increased market share could necessitate the purchase of 10-20 737MAX over the next five years. I suspect this type of scenario could self-fund the purchase of new aircraft as it would allow the existing 737NG fleet to be leveraged for their full economic lives (22 years). The 13-20% fuel efficiency advantage and added revenue opportunity of a 737-10MAX over a 738NG would probably be enough for these aircraft to self-fund.

With a current fleet of 75 737’s and an assumed economic life of twenty years QF should be replacing 3.75 aircraft per year. If we add in 3% organic growth we have another 2.25 aircraft. In other words QF should be purchasing 6 new 737 size aircraft each year or committing $330 million per annum of CAPEX to its domestic fleet.

With the Jetstar Asian partner airlines seeming to be reluctant to invest in the Jetstar franchises, the short term prospects for growth in these businesses seems to be limited. These airlines have been in a holding pattern for many years now.

I suspect for Jetstar to fund growth it will need to be structurally separated from the QANTAS group and capitalised through the introduction of new shareholders.

This type of scenario could revolve around a situation where QANTAS receives cash for the sale of a share in Jetstar, which in turn could be used to fund new QANTAS aircraft purchases.

A larger QANTAS group of airlines could see the QANTAS and Jetstar domestic operations generating sustainable profits in excess of $1B per year, the international airline generating profits of $0.6-0.8b per year and the Jetstar Asian franchises placed back into growth mode to ensure critical mass and sustained profits for the future.

A QANTAS generating year on year profits of $2b annually and substantial free cash flows combined with future growth prospects from the Jetstar Asian franchises and QANTAS International ticks all the boxes as an excellent investment.

As the analyst mentioned in the article, the road forward revolves around funding. I’d suggest QANTAS’s future debt profile could in part be addressed by:

1. Reviewing the current dividend and share buy-back strategy with the intent of committing additional free cash flows to CAPEX spending on new aircraft (three years).
2. Review of the buy-out of existing aircraft lease and financing strategy with the intent of increasing funding for CAPEX on new aircraft.
3. Restructure of current 737 aircraft leases to simplify and reduce finance costs on older aircraft
4. Committing to an order for 15-30 737MAX aircraft as soon as practically possible. Use of self-funding / short term debt to ensure maximum ownership flexibility for the aircraft.
5. Committing to additional 787-9 aircraft for the purpose of entering new international markets and growing market share.
6. Committing to an order for 10-15 787-10 aircraft for replacement of A330-300 and early build A330-200 aircraft and growth in market using a combination of free cash flows, syndicated loans and leasing finance arrangements.
7. Development of the Brisbane and Perth airport bases for increased 787 flying and growth market opportunities.
8. Retain three 747 (non ER) aircraft for an additional two years for seasonal flying / development of growth market opportunities.
9. Sale of four A380-800 aircraft to reduce the commitment to the type.
10. Purchase of six 777-9X for replacement of A380-800 aircraft
11. Deferral of the Project Sunrise project including aircraft purchases till 2024.
12. Review of Jetstar New Zealand strategy including:
    a. Committing additional A320 and Q300 aircraft to the Jetstar New Zealand operation.
    b. Committing 3-4 787-9 aircraft based at Auckland airport for new Jetstar LCC markets in the Americas and Asia.
    c. Development of Auckland airport as a hub for increased International flying.
13. Review of QANTAS New Zealand strategy with the intent of taking advantage of Virgin Australia weakness in market including:
    a. Committing 8-10 A321NEO aircraft to the New Zealand JetConnect business for QANTAS Trans-Tasman flying.
    b. Committing additional A330-200 aircraft to dedicated Trans-Tasman flying.
    c. Development of Auckland airport as hub for increased International flying.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 am

RetroRoo wrote:
This is something I've kinda never understood. If there can be multiple BA, AA, SG, DL thread about all manner of topics - why must there be a single dedicated Qantas thread (never mind a single dedicated Australia thread)? I don't see the economy in having to scroll through a single thread that deals with tens of wildly different issues when we can dedicate separate threads and be a little more specific. It would make for more orderly conversations and a single dialogue rather than people responding to each other on different issues throughout the entire thread.


The QF Thread was originally dedicated to the fleet repaint updates & was always the intentions but appears to have steered off the original topic.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1407
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Qantas Fleet Thread 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 am

EK413 wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:
This is something I've kinda never understood. If there can be multiple BA, AA, SG, DL thread about all manner of topics - why must there be a single dedicated Qantas thread (never mind a single dedicated Australia thread)? I don't see the economy in having to scroll through a single thread that deals with tens of wildly different issues when we can dedicate separate threads and be a little more specific. It would make for more orderly conversations and a single dialogue rather than people responding to each other on different issues throughout the entire thread.


The QF Thread was originally dedicated to the fleet repaint updates & was always the intentions but appears to have steered off the original topic.

EK413


On which subject - B738 VYK returned to service this morning as QF969 TSV-BNE. VYF will enter paint later today when it operates QF974 BNE-TSV - it was meant to go in last night after QF978 but for some reason, most likely a tech issue, it remained in BNE overnight.

Q400 QOE should return to service tomorrow morning, with QOF replacing it in the hangar.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos