Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neomax
Topic Author

How many airlines operate 747F to ANC?

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 pm

As many would know, ANC has one of the highest number of 747F operations in the country (if not the highest). What airlines currently fly 747F to ANC? Additionally, if anyone knows who flies the 777F, that would be appreciated as well!

FromCDGtoSYD

Re: How many airlines operate 747F to ANC?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:17 am

KE flies a few 747F (-400 and -8) and 777F to ANC

jeffrey1970

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 am

Does Singapore Airlines still fly a 747F to ANC?

GSPSPOT

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:48 am

I frequently see a 744 freighter overflying MKE on FR24 en route CVG-ANC but can't remember the carrier.

cvgComair

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 am

neomax wrote:
As many would know, ANC has one of the highest number of 747F operations in the country (if not the highest). What airlines currently fly 747F to ANC? Additionally, if anyone knows who flies the 777F, that would be appreciated as well!

On ANC-CVG, there are three carriers, all of whom use the B744, DHL (Polar Air Cargo, Atlas Air, and Kalitta Air), Singapore Airlines, and Yangtze River Express. DHL (Southern Air) flies the B77F on ANC-CVG as well.

GSPSPOT wrote:
I frequently see a 744 freighter overflying MKE on FR24 en route CVG-ANC but can't remember the carrier.

It's DHL, the fly up to 8 daily flights on ANC-CVG, mostly with 744's and 748's.

jeffrey1970 wrote:

Yes, they fly ANC-CVG a couple times a week with a B74F.

GSM605

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:33 am

neomax wrote:

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking which airlines that also have freight operations or any operators of 744F and 777F into ANC? SQ flies into ANC from CVG. If it’s freight companies your asking about then there are a bunch. In addition to SQ, Polar Air Cargo, Yangtze River, Atlas Air all fly between CVG and ANC. Southern Air flies the B77L on the route as well. There’s UPS out of SDF using the B744 and FDX runs the B77L out of MEM ( in addition to the MD11). There are certainly others in addition to these operators.

mtnwest1979

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 am

Just did a quick look on Flight Aware and see Cathay Pacific 748, UPS 744, Polar 744, China 744, and EVA 744 as well for today anyway.

jupiter2

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:32 am

neomax wrote:

Basically any Asian or American carrier that operates the 747 freighter between Asia and the U.S.A will stop in ANC on at least some of their flights. Same deal for the 777 freighter as well. Throw in Cargolux and possibly the Russian freight carriers as well.

Great place to watch freighters with some magnificent back drops for photos.

GSPSPOT

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:34 pm

cvgComair wrote:
It's DHL, the fly up to 8 daily flights on ANC-CVG, mostly with 744's and 748's.

jeffrey1970 wrote:

Why so much capacity to/from CVG versus similar sized metros? I mean, I get ANC, as they're still a bit of a polar stopover point.

trex8

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 pm

CI has 28 744F flights weekly through ANC
https://cargo.china-airlines.com/ccnetv ... splay.aspx

jeffrey1970

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:51 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

jeffrey1970 wrote:

Why so much capacity to/from CVG versus similar sized metros? I mean, I get ANC, as they're still a bit of a polar stopover point.

Maybe Proctor and Gamble sells a lot of products in Asia.

CallmeJB

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:44 pm

jeffrey1970 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Maybe they MAKE a lot of products in Asia, and ship them to CVG.

I think the two biggest reasons why CVG has so much capacity are DHL and Amazon. Both now operate express hubs out of CVG.

That's not to say that SQ's freight goes directly to a DHL aircraft, rather that there are a lot of companies with warehouses in the area. Wayfair is an online furniture outlet, and their largest distribution warehouse is right across the runway from the DHL ramp. Many other companies have distribution centers in the area (northern Kentucky) because of the central location in the USA, and the easy access to DHL/Amazon/UPS (in SDF) networks.

Lpbri

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Don't forget the 747 Dreamlifter is a regular at ANC

cvgComair

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:42 pm

CallmeJB wrote:
jeffrey1970 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

I think the two biggest reasons why CVG has so much capacity are DHL and Amazon. Both now operate express hubs out of CVG.

That's not to say that SQ's freight goes directly to a DHL aircraft, rather that there are a lot of companies with warehouses in the area. Wayfair is an online furniture outlet, and their largest distribution warehouse is right across the runway from the DHL ramp. Many other companies have distribution centers in the area (northern Kentucky) because of the central location in the USA, and the easy access to DHL/Amazon/UPS (in SDF) networks.

It’s almost all DHL shipping from Asia/Pacific, they operate direct flights between CVG and HKG/NGO/NRT/ICN/KIX, but pretty much every other destination is routed through ANC (PVG/PEK/SIN/various other Chinese cities). Some of this cargo is bound for CVG, but their airport is DHL hub for all of the Americas (and I believe CVG has surpassed LEJ as DHL’s largest hub), so it is sorted and routed across the US, Mexico, Latin America, and South America.

modernArt

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm

cvgComair wrote:

Hmm, are some of these flights 'blocked' on FlightRadar or Flightaware? Most I see is one or two daily flights. Jan 13 shows 6 B747s on Anchorage-Cincinnati

32andBelow

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Don't see many russian freighters in ANC except the Antonov getting fuel.

cvgComair

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:34 pm

modernArt wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Hmm, are some of these flights 'blocked' on FlightRadar or Flightaware? Most I see is one or two daily flights. Jan 13 shows 6 B747s on Anchorage-Cincinnati

I don’t think so, on FlightAware I see 8 today, 4 on Friday, 6 on Thursday and 6 on Wednesday.

GSPSPOT

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Aaah, had no idea that CVG was a cargo hub.

RichardWelling

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:29 am

cvgComair wrote:
CallmeJB wrote:
jeffrey1970 wrote:

It’s almost all DHL shipping from Asia/Pacific, they operate direct flights between CVG and HKG/NGO/NRT/ICN/KIX, but pretty much every other destination is routed through ANC (PVG/PEK/SIN/various other Chinese cities). Some of this cargo is bound for CVG, but their airport is DHL hub for all of the Americas (and I believe CVG has surpassed LEJ as DHL’s largest hub), so it is sorted and routed across the US, Mexico, Latin America, and South America.

Dont forget that you have DHL flights going from CVG to Europe as well!

AA737-823

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 am

Regarding 777F, I've seen Southern/DHL, Korean, and China Southern.
I'm sure it's a matter of time until we see EVA's new pretty bird, as well!

cvgComair

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:18 pm

RichardWelling wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
CallmeJB wrote:

Dont forget that you have DHL flights going from CVG to Europe as well!

Absolutely, there is a ton of European service as well. I was just assuming that the cargo is not going Asia-CVG-Europe.

RichardWelling

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 am

Well they are going both ways via CVG.

as77w

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:12 am

32andBelow wrote:
Don't see many russian freighters in ANC except the Antonov getting fuel.

AirBridge Cargo flies their 747s into ANC quite frequently.

airbazar

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
neomax wrote:

Basically any Asian or American carrier that operates the 747 freighter between Asia and the U.S.A will stop in ANC on at least some of their flights. Same deal for the 777 freighter as well. Throw in Cargolux and possibly the Russian freight carriers as well.

There's nothing like standing on top of the mound at Connors Lake Park and seeing one of these fully loaded guys come towards you and use up the entire length of the runway :bigthumbsup:

tjwgrr

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:53 pm

747F
Cargolux
UPS
Cathay Pacific
Polar Air Cargo
Korean Air
Air Bridge Cargo
Nippon Cargo
Atlas
Asiana
China Airlines
EVA
Singapore
Yangtze River Express
China Cargo
Kalitta

777F:
Air China
Fedex
Etihad
China Southern
EVA
Korean Air
Southern Air
China Cargo

lavalampluva

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:21 pm

NW had a pretty large freight operation in ANC, I wonder who took over their facilities once DL got out of the dedicated cargo business.

jupiter2

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

airbazar wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
neomax wrote:

There's nothing like standing on top of the mound at Connors Lake Park and seeing one of these fully loaded guys come towards you and use up the entire length of the runway :bigthumbsup:

Point Woronzof Road and up on the hillside was the place for me, but that depended on the runways in use of course. Great place to visit, just a bit far from home to go too regularly unfortunately.

Plus the added bonus of moose sightings :thumbsup:

luv2cattlecall

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm

jeffrey1970 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Other than maybe some Oil of Olay items, does P&G have many high value/time-sensitive items? I can't imagine Tide and Colgate needing air freight.

CallmeJB

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
NW had a pretty large freight operation in ANC, I wonder who took over their facilities once DL got out of the dedicated cargo business.

It was acquired by and currently used (heavily) by Atlas/Polar.

jeffrey1970

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 am

luv2cattlecall wrote:
jeffrey1970 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

Other than maybe some Oil of Olay items, does P&G have many high value/time-sensitive items? I can't imagine Tide and Colgate needing air freight.

I do not know.

cvgComair

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:08 am

luv2cattlecall wrote:
jeffrey1970 wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

I highly doubt any signifiant quantity of the cargo is for P&G, most of it is not even bound for Cincinnati. The vast majority of the cargo is being sorted in CVG and sent onwards.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos