cpr05
Topic Author

What is next for Allegiant

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Haven't heard much discussion about G4 so I started this topic.

At the end of 2017 they added a few new east coast routes.

n471wn

Re: What is next for Allegiant

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Sadly they discontinued Provo to OAK and Provo to San Diego

ibthebigd

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Waiting for more flight announcements for there new base at IND.

aviationjunky

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:03 pm

I expect to see the introduction of international travel, a couple flights to Mexico from LAS/AZA/SFB, and to Canada from LAS/AZA. I'd also expect to see an increase of flights to/from CVG, AVL, and BWI. I wouldn't be surprised if they even opted to purchase a few A321s, and possibly restart HNL, though it is very unlikely since they went through the process of relocating many of the employees from HNL to LAX, LAS, and AZA.
LAS is Life

stlgph

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:03 pm

If I'm Allegiant, I'm moving now to buy up real estate, to spend the 2020's duplicate in other places, what they're working on in Florida right now.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

KLMatSJC

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
I expect to see the introduction of international travel, a couple flights to Mexico from LAS/AZA/SFB, and to Canada from LAS/AZA. I'd also expect to see an increase of flights to/from CVG, AVL, and BWI. I wouldn't be surprised if they even opted to purchase a few A321s, and possibly restart HNL, though it is very unlikely since they went through the process of relocating many of the employees from HNL to LAX, LAS, and AZA.

I actually don't necessarily think you will see Mexico from the hubs. I think Mexico is in the same "sun destination" bucket as the rest of the Allegiant hubs, so you might see stuff from OAK and LAX too. That being said, both LAS and AZA are good markets for a Mexico flight, so I wouldn't be shocked to see it from there.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-140/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

rajincajun01

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Linking of hubs and adding connecting flights would be a good start. Can’t wait to hear how the PIE-AZA test is going.

loisencroach

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:55 pm

I always thought that the OAK station could be linked to more markets than what they have over the years. How is gate space at OAK?

aviationjunky

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
I actually don't necessarily think you will see Mexico from the hubs. I think Mexico is in the same "sun destination" bucket as the rest of the Allegiant hubs, so you might see stuff from OAK and LAX too. That being said, both LAS and AZA are good markets for a Mexico flight, so I wouldn't be shocked to see it from there.

I think they will play it safe if they start Mexico service. They will fly from larger destinations to get their name in the Mexican market before adding places like AVL or ICT, much like they're doing with SJU.

I'm rather excited to see their 2018 expansion, especially since they plan to phase out the MD83/8 on Thanksgiving weekend this year. I hope they announce more new aircraft orders, new destinations, and I heard that they are looking into starting layovers to allow longer flights.
LAS is Life

RWA380

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 pm

aviationjunky wrote:

Up until now, G4 has gone out of their way to avoid serving Canada with destinations like Plattsburg & Bellingham, luring travelers from places like Montreal & Vancouver to cross the border then fly.

I really doubt you'll see G4 back in Hawaii, the ONLY route that worked was LAS-HNL & only because Vegas is the 9th Island & G4 packages were often more reasonable than HA & competitive with the regular charter companies, combined with WN's entry into the market, where I expect WN will fly their Max 8's on Hawaii flights from Las Vegas.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Since they went year round on MEM/LAX, I hope they add MEM/OAK at some point.

FATFlyer

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:26 pm

Allegiant's guidance for 2018 is an 11% to 15% increase in ASMs vs. 2017.

They also plan to begin entering into purchase agreements for Sunseeker Resort in the next few months. Construction is planned to start later this year.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

deltadudejg

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:25 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Linking of hubs and adding connecting flights would be a good start. Can’t wait to hear how the PIE-AZA test is going.

Aside from being around the holidays the flights were pretty consistently full.
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:14 am

rajincajun01 wrote:

I think it is inevitable that connecting flights will happen eventually, but didn't G4 say they didn't want to operate connecting flights?

It would be pretty hard for them to operate connections anyway given that a majority of their flights operate 2-4x weekly. The only way I see them adding connections is once int'l flying is beefed up they could turn SFB/PIE into Caribbean gateways. With a beefed up frequencies and more destinations CVG/IND/PIT could maybe work as east-west connecting points, but that is a ways down the road.
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

ADrum23

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:28 am

Hopefully, they finally enter BNA this year.

BNA needs more ULCC service, it is lacking in that area compared to surrounding airports of its size or greater (all of which have Allegiant, if not at the main airport, at a nearby one). Nashville on the other hand, completely lacks Allegiant anywhere within its market, and one has to drive 2-3 hours to Knoxville, Memphis or Chattanooga to fly on them.

william

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:36 am

Midwestindy wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

I think it is inevitable that connecting flights will happen eventually, but didn't G4 say they didn't want to operate connecting flights?

It would be pretty hard for them to operate connections anyway given that a majority of their flights operate 2-4x weekly. The only way I see them adding connections is once int'l flying is beefed up they could turn SFB/PIE into Caribbean gateways. With a beefed up frequencies and more destinations CVG/IND/PIT could maybe work as east-west connecting points, but that is a ways down the road.

Yes,Allegiant stated they do not connections. I think they will connect their midsize markets directly. That’s what Allegiant stated in their investor forecast.

With their new A320s seating 186 pax, really do not need a 230 pax A321neo.

file:///C:/Users/afreq/Downloads/Allegiant%20Travel%20Company%20Management%20Presentation%20-%20May%202017.pdf

william

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:22 am

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.Fi ... U9MQ==&t=1

Page 56 on where Allegiant sees growth.

N212R

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 am

n471wn wrote:
Sadly they discontinued Provo to OAK and Provo to San Diego

Saints preserve us!

GSPSPOT

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:48 am

I love G4's initial entry into the MKE market, except I'd love to see LAS added. But WN & F9 seem to already have that covered.
Great Lakes, great life.

ericm2031

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 am

loisencroach wrote:
I always thought that the OAK station could be linked to more markets than what they have over the years. How is gate space at OAK?

I as well. They have been pretty status-quo there over the years and they are serving an area of 10 million people while only serving OAK and SCK. I know WN is very strong in NorCal, as is UA and AS, but it still seems like they are very weak in the area.

PSP also seems like a place ripe for more seasonal routes and the G4 model, yet they only serve BLI from there.

airportlover

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm

I think Mexico is most likely, maybe serving CUN from PIT, AUS, or CLE. Those three seem most likely. They are not going to try CUN from Bellingham or Plattsburgh. It just does not make sense. Other than CUN, maybe Cabo, but I do not see man other Mexican cities. After that, maybe the Dominican Republic or Jamaica makes sense before other Caribbean islands. We certainly won't see them in St Maarten or Grenada or Barbados anytime soon. Canada seems unlikely as Allegiant is so focused on sun destinations. If they want to gain more business travelers, they will need to add Canadian flights, among other things.

freakyrat

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Seasonal SBN-MYR is in the works as is PIA-MYR. The two markets are a top priority for the MYR airport. They are actually being worked on by the airports at both ends.

Internationally. SBN is working on seasonal SBN-CUN flights as soon as they get the FIS approved by the Department of Agriculture.

Arch89U

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:23 am

Given that Allegiant flies only 2-4x per week between cities, what is the procedure for them if a flight gets cancelled? When is that planeload of passengers rebooked?

Would it be possible they would connect PGD/PIE/SFB with RST?

rajincajun01

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 am

Arch89U wrote:
Given that Allegiant flies only 2-4x per week between cities, what is the procedure for them if a flight gets cancelled? When is that planeload of passengers rebooked?

They usually offer a refund or have another aircraft take passengers later/the next day.

freakyrat

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Arch89U wrote:

They usually offer a refund or have another aircraft take passengers later/the next day.

They had this happen at SBN twice over the holidays. N250NV their brand new Airbus A320 had a glitch. (SBN-PGD). Allegiant had a spare MD83 in PIA which was ferried over to SBN and operated the flight. The A320 was repaired and ferried back to PGD the next day and flew a delayed flight just after it arrived back at PGD. They also had an MD80 a few days later operating a flight to SFB which had some kind of problem and they ferried a replacement aircraft up from SFB and operated the flight. The broke aircraft was fixed the next day and ferried to CVG.

Because they had that MD80 in Peoria the PGD passengers were only delayed by 2 hrs. The SFB passengers on the other flight were delayed about 4 hrs and 30 minutes.

Once G4 gets their crew base set up in IND with spares it should make things in the Midwest operate even better.

whatusaid

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:56 pm

G4's business model to medium sized cities out of LAS seems to be changing with the add of the 319/320 base. SCK and FAT are going to mostly 2X day flights and I could see 3X on peak days. It wouldn't be unexpected to see higher frequencies to OAK, EUG and other medium cities as well. My bet as a game changer out West is on SJD being linked with FAT, OAK, LAS, maybe even LAX, along with AUS outside of the I-5 corridor. G4's model of selling package travel shouldn't keep them out of an already competitive market. It comes down to the price/benefits of the packages they're able to market. SJD is a great getaway market if they price all right. Hopefully, they've learned from Hawaii which started with very full aircraft, but their packages didn't offer anything that AA or AS didn't offer, and the 757 operational issues killed off the potential before it really took hold. Still, they showed the ability to generate traffic from EUG, FAT and others that could fill a 215 seat aircraft. Unfortunately, they filled the 757 with O&D traffic and not package travel, which is where their profit resides. G4 has come a long way since then. The Investor Days presentation reflects a very different Allegiant who would appear to have generating profit soundly based in serious analytics.

evanbu

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm

Sioux City.

Filler, filler, filler.

In all seriousness though, why haven’t they started Sioux City?

william

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Arch89U wrote:

With the newer A320s, one would hope this will be less of an issue.

flyfresno

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:00 pm

whatusaid wrote:
G4's business model to medium sized cities out of LAS seems to be changing with the add of the 319/320 base. SCK and FAT are going to mostly 2X day flights and I could see 3X on peak days. It wouldn't be unexpected to see higher frequencies to OAK, EUG and other medium cities as well. My bet as a game changer out West is on SJD being linked with FAT, OAK, LAS, maybe even LAX, along with AUS outside of the I-5 corridor. G4's model of selling package travel shouldn't keep them out of an already competitive market. It comes down to the price/benefits of the packages they're able to market. SJD is a great getaway market if they price all right. Hopefully, they've learned from Hawaii which started with very full aircraft, but their packages didn't offer anything that AA or AS didn't offer, and the 757 operational issues killed off the potential before it really took hold. Still, they showed the ability to generate traffic from EUG, FAT and others that could fill a 215 seat aircraft. Unfortunately, they filled the 757 with O&D traffic and not package travel, which is where their profit resides. G4 has come a long way since then. The Investor Days presentation reflects a very different Allegiant who would appear to have generating profit soundly based in serious analytics.

There was another post suggesting AUS from FAT. It would be a market that would need to be “developed,” as the PDEW is currently small, but would provide a great link to AUS as well as San Antonio and maybe even Houston (an easy 2:15 drive to the northern/western suburbs, something people from FAT might do to avoid a 3-4 hour drive to LAX or SFO). AUS has a ton of attractions, not to the level of Vegas, but getting up there. The question would be the same as HNL: can they sell packages and not just flights? SJD would be an easy add, it’s by far the top vacation spot south of the border from Fresno. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Volaris do it either.

RL757PVD

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Arch89U wrote:

Its not that different from service recovery times at major airlines these days. During a major winter snow event, some passengers are told it will be days before they can get home (A friend flying from BOS to HNL yesterday was told the earliest they could get him out was Monday).

So if G4 can run a flight the next day instead they are probably better than the legacies!
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

PennPal

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Quite amusing that this statement (a response to a comment about flight delays/cancellations)...

"With the newer A320s, one would hope this will be less of an issue."

...was preceded by this one...

"They had this happen at SBN twice over the holidays. N250NV their brand new Airbus A320 had a glitch. (SBN-PGD). Allegiant had a spare MD83 in PIA which was ferried over to SBN and operated the flight."

Ironic, too, that the problematic MD83 came to the rescue of an A320...

FATFlyer

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:05 pm

whatusaid wrote:

SCK is currently working on the bid process for their FIS. They received RFQs a few weeks back and should post the design-build RFP soon. Currently plan is for completion late 2019/early 2020. Assuming the Feds agree to staff a SCK FIS, that might be another future SJD city for G4.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

OzarkD9S

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 pm

evanbu wrote:

Sioux City.

Filler, filler, filler.

Because Sioux City SUX? :lol:
Next Up: STL-DTW-PWM-LGA-STL in September. Gotta have a decent bowl or five of lobster bisque! :tongue2:

PlanesNTrains

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:30 am

I'm a broken record on this, but I think G4+F9 would be a good fit. It would allow those smaller cities with 2x/week service to perhaps be linked to DEN for connections allowing more options.

It'd be nice to see G4 place an order for some more new build A320s but not sure if Airbus has the need to offer lowball pricing on some ceo's now.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

william

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I'm a broken record on this, but I think G4+F9 would be a good fit. It would allow those smaller cities with 2x/week service to perhaps be linked to DEN for connections allowing more options.

It'd be nice to see G4 place an order for some more new build A320s but not sure if Airbus has the need to offer lowball pricing on some ceo's now.

How doyou figure? F9 has more in common with Spirit than Allegiant. F9 has brand new Airbuses arriving that will need to be flying 10 hours a day 5 days a week to pay for their keep. As you know, there is a reason Allegiant goes cheap when buying aircraft, one can park them and fly them when they can make money, three to four days a week.

A big attraction for Alllegiant pilots and FAs is that they are home every night. Save money on airport transportation and hotel stays. Hard to replicate that on F9.

Allegiant is an odd duck, but its works and is profitable.

flyguy89

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:27 am

RL757PVD wrote:
Arch89U wrote:

Its not that different from service recovery times at major airlines these days. During a major winter snow event, some passengers are told it will be days before they can get home (A friend flying from BOS to HNL yesterday was told the earliest they could get him out was Monday).

So if G4 can run a flight the next day instead they are probably better than the legacies!

Outright cancellations are pretty rare. Generally what will happen worst case is they'll fly in another plane or reschedule the flight to the next day.

CIDFlyer

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 am

what about a base in south Texas (Harlingen/Brownsville/McAllen) for South Padre Island? Thoughts?

malev2012

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:20 am

CIDFlyer wrote:
what about a base in south Texas (Harlingen/Brownsville/McAllen) for South Padre Island? Thoughts?

G4 pulled out of BRO with LAS service a while back. Seems that it would be even harder to get them to return with a base after that experience. Even though BRO being closer to SPI seems more likely a base; MFE has regular G4 service to LAS and LAX.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, CO, DL, DY, F9, IB, KL, LH, LX, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE,

freakyrat

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 am

PennPal wrote:
Quite amusing that this statement (a response to a comment about flight delays/cancellations)...

"With the newer A320s, one would hope this will be less of an issue."

...was preceded by this one...

"They had this happen at SBN twice over the holidays. N250NV their brand new Airbus A320 had a glitch. (SBN-PGD). Allegiant had a spare MD83 in PIA which was ferried over to SBN and operated the flight."

Ironic, too, that the problematic MD83 came to the rescue of an A320...

I heard from a friend of mine at SBN that the 320 had a minor fender bender with a deicing truck. The MD83 was in PIA and was ferried over. The delay was less than two hours and the customers were on their way to PGD.

skywaymanaz

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:07 am

evanbu wrote:
Sioux City.

Filler, filler, filler.

The same reason no one else has lately. Sioux Falls is bigger and growing. Sioux City is smaller and stagnant in its growth. It's only worth it for the airlines to serve one of them since they are reasonably close to each other. So FSD gets all the traffic now that used to one stop in SUX coming or going. It's not worth it for G4 to cannibalize from their FSD service. I've driven by SUX many times but only flown into FSD.

deltadudejg

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:24 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:

I second your opinion. I think G4+F9 would be a good merger as well. More fleet commonality and same markets.
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:02 am

I feel like allegiant usually gets people home sooner then the legacies in weather issues. They simply fly a whole new flight a few hours later or the next day etc. The legacies are all so full load factor wise there is nowhere to rebook people. Days later is the norm for non elite legacy fliers in bad weather. People just love to hate allegiant but they sometimes are better at things.

One tough thing about allegiant is you can't take them for a given to keep routes or stay. You can have totally full flights for years or months and they just decide to leave , no signs or notice. They are always chasing the next subsidy and offer.

cbphoto

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:08 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I feel like allegiant usually gets people home sooner then the legacies in weather issues. They simply fly a whole new flight a few hours later or the next day etc. The legacies are all so full load factor wise there is nowhere to rebook people. Days later is the norm for non elite legacy fliers in bad weather. People just love to hate allegiant but they sometimes are better at things.

One tough thing about allegiant is you can't take them for a given to keep routes or stay. You can have totally full flights for years or months and they just decide to leave , no signs or notice. They are always chasing the next subsidy and offer.

Your second part of the statement isn’t true at all. It’s widely known that Allegiant makes its money on vacation packages and ancillary revenue. Just because the flight is full, doesn’t mean it’s very profitable for the company. They wouldn’t rather have a 75% load factor and have half of that group buy vacation packages, then a 100% load factor with only a quarter buying the packages. Call it crazy, but Allegiant has been profitable way longer then most of the carriers around today.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

Sean-SAN-

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:05 am

Allegiant actually makes a relatively low percent of revenue from packages and vacations, despite the travel company name. This info is easily found in the financial reports.

I imagine main reason G4 hasn't started international flights is because they do not use a GDS system and they can not comply with all the TSA and security requirements for international flights. I would bet the current charter flights are all input manually, and it is definitely not possible to jumpseat or nonrev on the CUN flights even for employees.

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

That is more associated with Frontier than Allegiant...
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

william

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Sean-SAN- wrote:
Allegiant actually makes a relatively low percent of revenue from packages and vacations, despite the travel company name. This info is easily found in the financial reports.

I imagine main reason G4 hasn't started international flights is because they do not use a GDS system and they can not comply with all the TSA and security requirements for international flights. I would bet the current charter flights are all input manually, and it is definitely not possible to jumpseat or nonrev on the CUN flights even for employees.

I think Allegiant is working on this now so they can fly to international destinations in the near future.

https://skift.com/2017/12/04/allegiant- ... ven-years/

Near the end of the article it states they have international route pairs ready to go (my guess Central America and Caribbean.

klm617

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Either expanding at FNT or opening up a base at DET.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

william

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 pm

We all know that Allegiant bought 12 end of the line A320 CEOs. This article goes behind the scenes to show how complex it is to order and aircraft from the factory.

https://skift.com/2017/05/04/for-the-fi ... -airplane/

Chuska

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Allegiant has been advertising ABQ-SFB on the radio but nothing in their website about it yet. This is a market they should have started years ago when WN went seasonal on the route. Maybe its coming?

TYSflyer

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Chuska wrote:
Allegiant has been advertising ABQ-SFB on the radio but nothing in their website about it yet. This is a market they should have started years ago when WN went seasonal on the route. Maybe its coming?

I feel they are due some new route announcements soon. In years past they have announced new summer routes around this time. Further they have been relatively quiet lately. I think it is interesting that this is already being advertised.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos