Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

Atlanta Air Service Discussion - 2018

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Happy new year.

It time for a new thread. Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1369377&p=19699177#p19699177

william

Re: Atlanta air service discussion - 2018

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Ok, I will start off this thread. So the Iconic red on the concourses are gone. Does anyone have an exterior pic of the new design then?

GoSteelers

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:51 pm

It’s not nearly gone. I’d say only about 20 percent is new. It’s a dark grey with dark black tinted windows.

Delta763

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm

International flights not operated by Delta or Southwest:

AC 4x daily YYZ CRJ
AF 2x daily CDG 772/773 (DL codeshare)
BA daily LHR 772
KE daily ICN 773 (DL codeshare)
KL 2x daily AMS 772 (DL codeshare)
LH daily FRA 343
QR daily DOH 773
TK Tu,W,F,Sa,Su IST 333
VS M,W,Sa MAN 333 (DL codeshare)

DLvsWN

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 pm

2017 was a pretty good year. Aeromexico and Jetblue adds were significant. There's a lot more competition to major domestic markets than there was 3 or so years ago.

I really wish someone would come in and bust up the Skyteam near-monopoly TATL. For Western Europe you have two frequencies per day of non-Skyteam airlines, about to fall below 2 with LH scaling back.

Most likely international adds this year?

My quick list:

WestJet
COPA
Avianca
Norwegian
WOW
Icelandair
Volaris
Interjet
More Aeromexico adds?
Delta - Puebla, Guayaquil, Tuxtla Gutierrez, YVR year round, Santiago DR

787fan8

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 pm

I found this article from Irish Central that states that ATL is one of many US cities that Aer Lingus is considering the launch of once they receive their new Airbus A321LR's.
https://www.irishcentral.com/news/aer-l ... es-flights

LAXdude1023

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 am

DLvsWN wrote:
2017 was a pretty good year. Aeromexico and Jetblue adds were significant. There's a lot more competition to major domestic markets than there was 3 or so years ago.

I really wish someone would come in and bust up the Skyteam near-monopoly TATL. For Western Europe you have two frequencies per day of non-Skyteam airlines, about to fall below 2 with LH scaling back.

My quick list:

WestJet
COPA
Avianca
Norwegian
WOW
Icelandair
Volaris
Interjet
More Aeromexico adds?

Thats quite an ambitious list you have there. Id say:

Westjet: Given that DL and WS are going to deepen relations, it seems logical.
Copa: DL has South America on lock, but perhaps with an E90?
Avianca: Copa is more likely. Avianca has traditionally gone for the ethnic market which isn't that big in Atlanta. Plus with the UA JV coming up, their energy will be elsewhere.
WOW/Icelandair: I don't see why not. Their cost of operation is low and ATL seems like a logical add for one of them.
Volaris: Maybe, but AM/DL seem to have the ATL-Mexico market on lock. Maybe 3x a week to GDL.
Interjet: See Volaris.
PBC: UA/AA can barely make that one work from DFW/IAH which is a substantially larger market to Mexico and PBC. Doubt it.
TUX: UA couldn't make it work from IAH, there is no way DL makes it work from ATL. IAH is closer and is a larger market to Guatemala. UA had the luxury of being able to use a E145. DL doesn't have that from ATL.
YVR: This one might work but it has to be marketed to feed the Caribbean and Sun markets to work.
GYE: DL has tried this numerous times. Only MIA and NYC seem to be able to make it work.

Ill say this as well: I do not think AM's experiment to smaller markets from ATL will last long. Those are markets that really only makes sense from DFW, IAH, LAX, and ORD where the demand is. You might get some connections from ORD, but not from Texas or California. Plus, as UA has found out, the money in Mexico isn't in the smaller markets, its in the larger ones like MTY, MEX, GDL, CUN, etc.

Narfish641

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Anyone heard the news that Qatar is bringing their A350-900 starting March to replace the 777-300ER? Pretty stoked to hear it!

Delta763

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:26 pm

I must have missed the news that AM is flying here again. I don't see them on the schedule. Where to?

deltal1011man

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Delta763 wrote:
I must have missed the news that AM is flying here again. I don't see them on the schedule. Where to?

GDL, BJX, MID, MTY and QRO. All on Ejets IIRC.

FWIW Delta is using AM to outsource a lot of flying to places like GDL, BJX and MTY. GDL for example is about to be down to ATL only. Delta pulled completely out of BJX and IIRC MTY is just ATL and DTW.
Hope DALPA is paying attention......

787fan8

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Delta763 wrote:

AM currently flies from ATL to GDL, BJX, MID, MTY and QRO, all under the Connect brand and with the Embraer E190.

pezzy669

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:09 am

william wrote:

Ok, I will start off this thread. So the Iconic red on the concourses are gone. Does anyone have an exterior pic of the new design then?

It is like a slate gray like said below. In addition before the drop ceiling inside the terminals was flat from window to window, now it is more of a \____/ shape with the upwards opening up to new windows they have added up top. I honestly cannot remember if they replaced some of the solid panels between with more windows but if I am remembering correctly they did. It is such a huge change versus the old generic interior and feels much more open when you are in the seating areas at the gates. If you are flying through and have some time I am pretty certain the A terminal is complete, at least A1-Atrium is from my last trip through.

The new canopies over the departures and arrivals drives are going up quick too and look really good! That construction is causing a traffic nightmare in the drives though.

flyaa757

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:27 am

deltal1011man wrote:
Delta763 wrote:

FWIW Delta is using AM to outsource a lot of flying to places like GDL, BJX and MTY. GDL for example is about to be down to ATL only. Delta pulled completely out of BJX and IIRC MTY is just ATL and DTW.

Not sure I agree with the term “outsource.” With the exception of GDL, all previous flying to these cities was on DLX. And GDL has fluctuated betweeen 1-2x to ATL for quite some time. They tried GDLLAX, but that was never going to work against Volaris. Plus, DL picked up some SLC and LAX flying.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:24 am

Yeah, outsource isnt the right term. Thats just how JV's work.

deltal1011man

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 am

flyaa757 wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
Delta763 wrote:

Not sure I agree with the term “outsource.” With the exception of GDL, all previous flying to these cities was on DLX. And GDL has fluctuated betweeen 1-2x to ATL for quite some time. They tried GDLLAX, but that was never going to work against Volaris. Plus, DL picked up some SLC and LAX flying.

I didn't know Volaris was around when Delta bought western.

and some of the other flying has seen mainline off and on at least. ie SLC-GDL and IIRC LAX-BJX and/or ATL-BJX.

LAXdude1023 wrote:

taking mainline flying to lower cost Mexican carriers isn't outsourcing?
wat?

neomax

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:20 am

GoSteelers wrote:
It’s not nearly gone. I’d say only about 20 percent is new. It’s a dark grey with dark black tinted windows.

You can see it in the background

flyaa757

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:38 am

deltal1011man wrote:
flyaa757 wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:

and some of the other flying has seen mainline off and on at least. ie SLC-GDL and IIRC LAX-BJX and/or ATL-BJX.

LAXdude1023 wrote:

wat?

Please show me a timetable or OAG with mainline to BJX outside of perhaps a 2 week holiday period.

When was the last time SLC-GDL operated?

Does DL not benefit from passengers connecting to ATLQRO and ATLMID? Those local markets are near zero. This works because of the JV and connection possibilities.

Western? The merger was in 1987...

LAXdude1023

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:55 am

deltal1011man wrote:
flyaa757 wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:

LAXdude1023 wrote:

wat?

Its about who has the right plane for the route and what the availability is. DL, for example, tried and failed at ATL-QRO. Now AM is going to give it a shot because they have the right equipment.

Not to mention, there is almost no local market to places like QRO and MID. If it werent for the JV, those routes have a near zero chance of sustainability.

william

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:03 am

neomax wrote:
GoSteelers wrote:

You can see it in the background

Wow!!!! What a difference, thank you Neomax,Pezzy669 and Go Steelers. I went through there this summer, and A and D had the ceiling tiles over the main walking areas removed. Will definitely change the character of ATL from bland to.....................something.

Narfish641

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:02 pm

The Virgin Atlantic A340-600 made an appearance today after months of absence. For some aparent reason its heading into JFK as we speak. Also looking on FlightAware, we have a Lufthansa A380 that's is bound for FRA. What an amazing surprise to see both of these quad jets out here! Here's the link to the two flights.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR3
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH9875

Oilman

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:16 pm

Narfish641 wrote:
The Virgin Atlantic A340-600 made an appearance today after months of absence.

It was operating LHR-JFK yesterday and diverted to ATL because of the winter storm. Several DL flights to JFK yesterday overflew and came down to ATL. LH 400, an A380, also diverted from JFK to ATL. I hope some can post a pic!

N776AU

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:10 am

Oilman wrote:
Narfish641 wrote:

It was operating LHR-JFK yesterday and diverted to ATL because of the winter storm. Several DL flights to JFK yesterday overflew and came down to ATL. LH 400, an A380, also diverted from JFK to ATL. I hope some can post a pic!

I guess not a huge surprise Virgin came down here given their affiliation with Delta and all. The Lufthansa A380 is very surprising though. You’d figure a Star Alliance base or at least somewhere where they have more presence. Then again what good is a new A380 gate if you don’t use it, right? :biggrin:

GoSteelers

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:49 am

It actually used the old gate at the E concourse.

klm617

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:33 pm

N776AU wrote:
Oilman wrote:
Narfish641 wrote:

I guess not a huge surprise Virgin came down here given their affiliation with Delta and all. The Lufthansa A380 is very surprising though. You’d figure a Star Alliance base or at least somewhere where they have more presence. Then again what good is a new A380 gate if you don’t use it, right? :biggrin:

My question is how did it get gate space on such short notice when others couldn't :roll:

Atlwarrior

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:02 pm

DLvsWN wrote:

My quick list:

WestJet
COPA
Avianca
Norwegian
WOW
Icelandair
Volaris
Interjet
More Aeromexico adds?

I would add Delta bringing Atlanta to Tel Aviv back. Not only as a business traveler route, but it’s a huge religious tourist route.

BenflysDTW

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 pm

There’s still IST as well...

deltal1011man

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:27 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
flyaa757 wrote:

LAXdude1023 wrote:

wat?

Its about who has the right plane for the route and what the availability is. DL, for example, tried and failed at ATL-QRO. Now AM is going to give it a shot because they have the right equipment.

Not to mention, there is almost no local market to places like QRO and MID. If it werent for the JV, those routes have a near zero chance of sustainability.

Not talking about routes like QRO or MID. I am talking about routes Delta flew with aircraft like the 738 that AM replaced with airplanes like the 738. Example, LAX-GDL.

Also I am willing to place a bet we don't magically see Delta moving into AM's E90 routes with the CS (a lower cost airplane). Want to make the bet?

klm617 wrote:
N776AU wrote:
Oilman wrote:

My question is how did it get gate space on such short notice when others couldn't :roll:

Its almost like ATL got a second A380 gate since the QR situation

oh wait that is exactly what happened. Its a little easier to move things around now because the E gate is no longer the only option. Also it is the winter season and Delta doesn't have a need for as many international gates.

deltal1011man

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:30 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
DLvsWN wrote:

My quick list:

WestJet
COPA
Avianca
Norwegian
WOW
Icelandair
Volaris
Interjet
More Aeromexico adds?

I would add Delta bringing Atlanta to Tel Aviv back. Not only as a business traveler route, but it’s a huge religious tourist route.

Sorry forgot to add this one.

IMO we will see JFK-TLV getting extra frequency to TLV before ATL-TLV comes back unfortunately. Delta can add extra flights with something like a 767 from JFK where ATL-TLV is going to require 777s and A350s. My guess is Delta has bigger fish to fry with the limited frames in those fleets.

william

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm

How is it that two airlines, Southern and Ultimate Air serve Dekalb-Peachtree when I thought all scheduled airlines serving the ATL proper was suppose to only fly into Hartsfield?

Narfish641

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm

I been meaning to ask this a while back, does anyone know how many gates United, American, Jetblue, and Alaska have? I know that United is in Concourse T, American uses T and D, Jetblue I believe is D and that goes for Alaska as well.

NYCjacob

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:56 pm

william wrote:
How is it that two airlines, Southern and Ultimate Air serve Dekalb-Peachtree when I thought all scheduled airlines serving the ATL proper was suppose to only fly into Hartsfield?

PDK is also a proper airport with scheduled flights but Ultimate and southern aren't Commercial airlines more like charter airlines but you share the plane. Also people much rather fly into PDK then ATL. Its a lot more easy to get to Buckhead and Atlanta.

N776AU

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Narfish641 wrote:
I been meaning to ask this a while back, does anyone know how many gates United, American, Jetblue, and Alaska have? I know that United is in Concourse T, American uses T and D, Jetblue I believe is D and that goes for Alaska as well.

Not sure on the others, but I think United has 3. They have T13, 14, and 15.

787fan8

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Statistics for the year 2017 have officially been released by the airport management.

For total aircraft operations, the number for 2017 stands at 879,560, which represents a 2.09% decrease from 2016's number of 898,356.

For total passengers, we have 103,902,992 passengers that flew through the airport in 2017, which is a 0.26% decrease from 2016's count of 104,171,935 passengers.

Last but not least, grand total cargo handled in 2017 stands at 685,338 metric tons, which is a 5.66% increase from 2016's number of 648,595 metric tons.

So despite a decrease in passengers and aircraft operations, it looks like ATL is the world's busiest airport for the 19th year in a row, so Hartsfield is still champion.

Source: http://www.atl.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... c-2017.pdf Page 4

787fan8

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Looks like Korean Air is bringing back the 747-8 for the summer season.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-07feb18/

Narfish641

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 pm

787fan8 wrote:
Looks like Korean Air is bringing back the 747-8 for the summer season.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-07feb18/

Awesome! Can't wait to spot for it.

787fan8

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Southwest is adding ATL-BNA from Aug 7.

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2018/02/15/ ... e-flights/

It's about time we got some competition on this route.

787fan8

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 pm

It appears that the proposed Concourse G may not be going ahead after all, and that a smaller and a potentially cheaper expansion of international gates at Concourse F is be considered as an alternative option.
https://www.myajc.com/business/hartsfie ... QiRUTD1SN/

klm617

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:21 am

Aeromexico is ending ATL-MTY flights.

BenflysDTW

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:56 am

klm617 wrote:

Is DL replacing it?

787fan8

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:09 pm

BenflysDTW wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Is DL replacing it?

No. Delta already flies mainline ATL-MTY service, and have been doing so for a while, long before AM anncounced their service.

At the moment, GDL is also flown by both AM and DL, so let’s see if AM manages to hold on to that.

BenflysDTW

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 pm

787fan8 wrote:
BenflysDTW wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Is DL replacing it?

No. Delta already flies mainline ATL-MTY service, and have been doing so for a while, long before AM anncounced their service.

At the moment, GDL is also flown by both AM and DL, so let’s see if AM manages to hold on to that.

I know this, but DL currently flies 2 mainline daily. Will they fly a third to replace AM?

787fan8

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:47 pm

BenflysDTW wrote:
787fan8 wrote:
BenflysDTW wrote:
Is DL replacing it?

I know this, but DL currently flies 2 mainline daily. Will they fly a third to replace AM?

Oh

Sorry about that

I haven’t seen or heard anything regarding a third DL flight, so unfortunately I can’t say yes or no to that question.

But if you ask me, I think two daily flights with the 717 is enough capacity right now, so I probably wouldn’t expect a third flight from DL on that route anytime soon.

klm617

Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:17 am

BenflysDTW wrote:
787fan8 wrote:
BenflysDTW wrote:
Is DL replacing it?

No there will only be 2 717 flights going forward.

FromGSPtoChi

Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:34 am

What is the chance SWA will add ATL <--> MEM? They recently added ATL <--> BNA. Memphis has been begging someone to break Delta monopoly. The ticket cost are really expensive. I know SWA ended the AirTran flight to MEM because too much traffic was connection and not O&D.

comairguycvg

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:38 am

Also looks like the north and south parking garages might be scaled back.
https://www.ajc.com/business/hartsfield ... eqLhJLG3N/

787fan8

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:02 pm

FromGSPtoChi wrote:
What is the chance SWA will add ATL <--> MEM? They recently added ATL <--> BNA. Memphis has been begging someone to break Delta monopoly. The ticket cost are really expensive. I know SWA ended the AirTran flight to MEM because too much traffic was connection and not O&D.

I could see it happening. If SWA can break the monopoly on ATL-BNA, then there’s a good chance that they could possibly break the ATL-MEM monopoly as well.

jplatts

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:47 pm

787fan8 wrote:
FromGSPtoChi wrote:

I could see it happening. If SWA can break the monopoly on ATL-BNA, then there’s a good chance that they could possibly break the ATL-MEM monopoly as well.

WN would be able to connect passengers to BOS, LGA, PHL, RIC, GSP, JAX, RSW, PBI, and FLL from MEM through ATL if it added MEM-ATL nonstop service. In addition, demand for WN flights has been increasing in the MEM market since the DL dehubbing at MEM, and demand for DL flights has significantly decreased in the MEM market after the DL dehubbing at MEM.

DL only now has daily nonstop service from MEM to its ATL, DTW, LAX, MSP, and LGA hubs and Saturday-only seasonal nonstop service from MEM to MCO. While I could see DL possibly bringing back nonstop service to BOS, CVG, JFK, RDU, and SLC from MEM, I do not see DL bringing back nonstop service to any destinations other than its hubs or focus cities from MEM.

WN could also add nonstop service to ATL from SJC and SMF since SJC and SMF will be the largest WN stations without nonstop service to ATL on WN once WN starts ATL-BNA nonstop service, since WN has over 50% market share at SMF, and since WN already serves ATL nonstop from other California destinations.

In addition to MEM, SMF, and SJC, WN could also add nonstop service to ATL from ABQ since WN has over 50% market share at ABQ, since ABQ is one of the largest WN stations without nonstop service to ATL (even though ABQ is much smaller WN station than BNA, SJC, and SMF are), and since ATL is one of the top destinations from ABQ that isn't served nonstop from ABQ on WN.

787fan8

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Qatar Airways started flying the Airbus A350 to ATL yesterday. Unfortunately, I wasn't there to see it, but if anybody happens to have any pictures or videos to share of the plane arriving at ATL, I would greatly appreciate it.

I think it's great that we have 2 airlines flying the A350 to ATL now. Fingers crossed that VS is next.

787fan8

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Per Airlineroute.net, Lufthansa is going from the A340-300 to the A330-300 from July 1st, and will keep the aircraft on the route for the winter season.

SumChristianus

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:20 am

Its funny that BNA has more YVR service than ATL. Wonder if that will change soon via WS or DL?
Service is only on Saturdays seasonally right now, right?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos