Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Philippine Aviation Thread 2018

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:17 am

Welcome to the Philippine Aviation thread for 2018. Please continue to add your comments below.

Link to 2017 thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1353725&p=20059735#p20059735

SleeplessInZh

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread 2018

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 am

Hello 2018!This is going to be a great year for Philippines Airline.I have a positive feeling!

idp5601

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 am

Any reason as to why El Al decided not to pursue the direct MNL-TLV flights they planned to start last year, as was discussed in the 2016 Philippine Aviation thread?

Also, any news on whether C class seats on PR's new A321neos be standard narrowbody recliner ones or JetBlue Mint/flydubai-style lie-flats?

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Yahnih

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:42 am

According to PAL and another blog.. the deliveries for their a321neo begin February and will feature lie flat business seats! With IFE in both cabins.. PAL is taking this 5 star seriously!http://philippine-aviation-forum.29460.n7.nabble.com/Airlines-in-the-Philippines-td2i1560.html

LurveBus

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Yahnih wrote:
According to PAL and another blog.. the deliveries for their a321neo begin February and will feature lie flat business seats! With IFE in both cabins.. PAL is taking this 5 star seriously!http://philippine-aviation-forum.29460.n7.nabble.com/Airlines-in-the-Philippines-td2i1560.html

The description of the seats give us some clues. Look at the characteristics:

- Fully-flat
- bed width of 23.5"
- seat width of 20.5"
- pitch of 60"
- silent on direct aisle access

This is pointing towards the old product on the A330s, except with a 15 inch PTV. Which, on one hand, is kind of a weird (but light) product, however, for flights of up to 8 hours, it shouldn't be that bad.

They're targeting BNE and India with this plane, but it would be kinda sad for MEL if they got it too. It would be a downgrade. While daily MEL would be welcome for schedules, their new a330 product is getting rave reviews.

Another thing to note is a further reduction of the seat count. It went from 176 to 168. I'm curious as to the reason for the further reduction. Was it to make bigger space for J? was it to compensate for increased pitch in Y?

idp5601

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Yahnih wrote:

So I'm confused: will they install lie flat C seats on both ACF and LR? Or will it be for the latter only?

Also, speaking of 5 star, will they retrofit the remaining A330s and the older 777s to the new C, W, and Y product? From what I recall consistency is a very big factor with Skytrax ratings, so standardizing the hard products would be very helpful for them if they want their fourth and fifth star.

LurveBus

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:00 pm

idp5601 wrote:
Yahnih wrote:

So I'm confused: will they install lie flat C seats on both ACF and LR? Or will it be for the latter only?

Also, speaking of 5 star, will they retrofit the remaining A330s and the older 777s to the new C, W, and Y product? From what I recall consistency is a very big factor with Skytrax ratings, so standardizing the hard products would be very helpful for them if they want their fourth and fifth star.

Strictly speaking, PAL isn't taking the LR. They're taking 6 NEOs fitted with extra tanks. These will be fitted with the full-flat J seats because they're gonna be used for flights to AUS and India. They will only need 6 for these routes.

The rest of the NEO fleet will be used for regional flights of 4 hours max, and will be fitted with regular recliner J seats, as they need the Y capacity more.

As for the remaining A330s, they only do regional and Middle East flights. The CASM advantage they give on these routes helps them stay competitive with LCCs and the ME3 while still offering a flat bed in J. While there was a plan to retrofit the remaining A330s, it remains to be seen if their finances will allow it.

Now, for the 777s, they might just let the leases expire as opposed to overhauling the product, especially since PAL has 6 more a350 options. Product consistency will be a bit of a challenge since Vantage XL seats on the A330 and A350 are kinda space inefficient on the 777 compared to Cirrus, Zodiac Optima, and Stelia Opal. They could go with regular Vantage, however, that would result in the loss of direct aisle access of much of the passengers (though it would still be a better product that what they have now). I'm sure there are proposals for a reconfiguration, however, no rumors have surfaced. Usually, someone working for a seat manufacturer would blab something, but there's just no news.

Yahnih

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:13 pm

AccordIng to earlier posts in that forum, seems like he a321 will be getting the Vantage business product... see the link for pictures.
http://philippine-aviation-forum.29460. ... i1200.html

Devilfish

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 pm

LurveBus wrote:
however, for flights of up to 8 hours, it shouldn't be that bad.

They're targeting BNE and India with this plane, but it would be kinda sad for MEL if they got it too. It would be a downgrade. While daily MEL would be welcome for schedules, their new a330 product is getting rave reviews.

Well, the BNE nonstop comes at the expense of DRW. Perhaps PR would rotate the A321N and A330 at MEL so the latter could fly to AKL on alternate days if they could turn around the aircraft quickly enough?

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... -stop.html

Whether operating a 6x weekly A321LR is more economical versus a 3x weekly A330 MNL-AKL-MNL is another matter altogether...and also subject to the congestion problem at NAIA.

LurveBus wrote:
Another thing to note is a further reduction of the seat count. It went from 176 to 168.

The other thread on heavier premium seats is quite telling. I can only speculate that PR is trying very hard to make the A321 capable of doing MNL-AKL nonstop as reported load factors on the route do not warrant a regular A330 service. Whether the seat reduction and perhaps leaving cargo are sufficient for the AFT-fitted A321E to hurdle the 4,327nm GC distance is the big question.

LurveBus wrote:
Strictly speaking, PAL isn't taking the LR.

PR might have to if the above fails and they want their MNL-AKL route to be more profitable. Airbus may be able to squeeze another 300nm or so of range from an A321LR+ through a combination of PIPs, aerodynamic cleanups and payload reduction. Otherwise, PR can continue deploying their reconfigured A330s on the route, lease-in new(ish) available A332s or revert to a one-stopper.

LurveBus wrote:
Now, for the 777s, they might just let the leases expire as opposed to overhauling the product, especially since PAL has 6 more a350 options.

I wonder if PR would go for A350-1000s as 77W replacements :?: :scratchchin:

On the airport front, it seems the push for SMC's proposed new international gateway has come to shove.....

http://business.inquirer.net/243403/dec ... seen-month

While their MPH conceptual design has morphed drastically into this proposed behemoth..... :shock: .....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... nsion.html

Guess they are out to dominate Philippine Aviation :!: :spin:

ZK-NBT

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 pm

MNL-AKL is 4979NM, the range of the A321NEO is around 4000NM, no chance of it doing MNL-AKL, MEL at just under 4000NM will be a struggle, BNE at 3500 should be doable with probably a few restrictions as well.

Devilfish

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
MNL-AKL is 4979NM, the range of the A321NEO is around 4000NM, no chance of it doing MNL-AKL, MEL at just under 4000NM will be a struggle, BNE at 3500 should be doable with probably a few restrictions as well.

That figure is in statute miles.....note that I even posited a notional A321LR+ to make up for the "shortfall". Absent such aircraft, PR could "complicate" their fleet and piggyback on possible new-build 767 orders, wait for the nebulous 797, or horrors, pick up a couple of HA's unloved A338neo :!: :wideeyed:

ZK-NBT

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:16 am

Devilfish wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

That figure is in statute miles.....note that I even posited a notional A321LR+ to make up for the "shortfall". Absent such aircraft, PR could "complicate" their fleet and piggyback on possible new-build 767 orders, wait for the nebulous 797, or horrors, pick up a couple of HA's unloved A338neo :!: :wideeyed:

Yea sorry, I’m sure I put that in and it just gave NM. Wish they had one way of measuring, it can get confusing.

Devilfish

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:38 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Yea sorry, I’m sure I put that in and it just gave NM. Wish they had one way of measuring, it can get confusing.

No worry. If every other option dims, I guess PR would just let this soldier on there for a little bit longer..... :sigh: .....

.....it being the most derided plane in the fleet notwithstanding! :yuck: :frown: Or PR might simply drop the route. :crackup:

https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... ies-392180

Quote:
"Philippine Airlines plans to operate a small sub-fleet of A321neos for long haul routes, but this is the exception, and very few new generation narrowbody aircraft in Southeast Asia are expected to be used for long haul operations."

ZK-NBT

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:02 am

Yes it seems PR will use the A 343’s on new routes before going A350/333, AKL can probably be done with the newer A333. What are load factors like? They could drop to 2 weekly in the NS but atleast the A333 would lower operating costs.

cityairline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 am

You guys are talking about the A321neo on MEL, but don't forget that PAL has stated several times that they are very interested in sending the aircraft to SYD aswelll, to be able to increase to double daily.
That would enable them to sell LHR-MNL-SYD (and return) every day with smooth connections. Today, you can only connect 4 times a week in one direction and 3 times a week the other way...

Devilfish

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:35 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
AKL can probably be done with the newer A333. What are load factors like? They could drop to 2 weekly in the NS but at least the A333 would lower operating costs.

I had read accounts of ~60% load factors. Though probably most economical and practical for PR given the slot constraints at NAIA, a twice weekly A333 frequency may not be very popular with those looking for connecting options. This is where the A321LR ACF can come in handy..... :thumbsup:

http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-re ... o-acf.html

Quote:
"The A321neo ACF is the base for a longer range variant known as the A321LR. The A321LR has an increased MTOW (Maximum Take Off Weight) of 97 tonnes and a third underfloor fuel tank allowing airlines to increase its range to 4,000nm for intercontinental flights. The first delivery of an A321LR is targeted for Q4 2018."

By reducing seat count to gain approximately 350nm more range, PR could have its MoM plane for its MNL-AKL sector sooner than other alternatives.

cityairline wrote:
You guys are talking about the A321neo on MEL, but don't forget that PAL has stated several times that they are very interested in sending the aircraft to SYD as welll, to be able to increase to double daily. That would enable them to sell LHR-MNL-SYD (and return) every day with smooth connections. Today, you can only connect 4 times a week in one direction and 3 times a week the other way...

SYD is better positioned to handle twice daily flights than other cities down under.

Going back to my previous post, the MPH redesign is being roundly panned in the local web! If that bait and switch approach was indicative of what is in store for Bulakan, then we'd take our chances with a renovated MNL & CRK.

idp5601

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:45 am

Devilfish wrote:
If that bait and switch approach was indicative of what is in store for Bulakan, then we'd take our chances with a renovated MNL & CRK.

This is a valid concern, but to be fair to SMC they know what they're going to deal with RE: the proposed Bulakan airport. Unlike MPH, which is and for the foreseeable future a minor, (relatively) lower-yielding airport compared to the airports in Mega Manila, CEB, and DVO, this airport is a much bigger deal because it's going to be our premier international gateway. I'm sure the bigwigs at San Miguel are logical, rational people. Plus, wasn't the proposed Sangley Airport design plain? Like, even plainer than the new MPH terminal?

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Devilfish

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 pm

idp5601 wrote:
This is a valid concern, but to be fair to SMC they know what they're going to deal with RE: the proposed Bulakan airport.

I think this article presents a well balanced view of the situation.....

https://businessmirror.com.ph/project-m ... r-gateway/

idp5601 wrote:
Unlike MPH, which is and for the foreseeable future a minor, (relatively) lower-yielding airport compared to the airports in Mega Manila, CEB, and DVO, this airport is a much bigger deal because it's going to be our premier international gateway.

If a proponent couldn't forecast what lies ahead for a small project, what more for a huge undertaking like a premier gateway? I suppose the company is envisioning to supplant KLO operations with its proposed scope expansion. This will in effect reverse the trickle from the mainland to MPH to a deluge of people and goods landing on the island and needing to cross back into town. That would require a raft of infrastructure projects to address the logistical nightmare and massive inconvenience just to prop up the fledgling enterprise (not to mention overwhelming the environ's delicate balance).

Please note that their latest gateway proposal no longer include this impressive conceptual design.....

http://philippine-aviation-forum.29460. ... 7070_n.jpg

Instead, a much more subdued presentation now accompanies the various press reports.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4s34VfVUAAfw6L.jpg

For something that is estimated to cost ~$15B (2nd costliest in Asia sans reclamation per the article), there is virtually nothing the public can glean as representing the final product. Also, for the project to realize its full potential, a raised extension (vs rising sea levels and storm surges) of the coastal highway from the port area all the way to Pampanga is required so as not to oveload the NLEX, and spur development northward along the bay...as well as to have faster access from Cavite and places farther south.

http://s7.postimg.org/vkvr43mp7/image.jpg

BTW, the Manila-Clark railway project just broke ground.....

https://businessmirror.com.ph/manila-cl ... ct-begins/

In contrast, all is very quiet on the super consortium's proposed redevelopment of NAIA. :scratchchin:

Devilfish

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:58 pm

From the A320neoFam P/D thread.....the tail of PR's first A321neo (msn 8117) to be powered by P&W's GTF engines makes a partial appearance..... :veryhappy: .....

A321neo Philippine Airlines, , RP- by Tobias Gudat, on Flickr

While a lot of what I wrote upthread goes against CAPA's analysis, it appears PAL's management is determined to earn that next star. They just need to be careful that their cabin offerings do not become too premium for their market. :cloudnine: If they succeed, it could validate Mr Leahy's claim that the A321neo had the MoM sector covered. Airbus would just need to work on getting the A321LR+ to carry ~200+pax MNL-AKL-MNL nonstop (less balikbayan boxes maybe) to make it a fait accompli :!: :biggrin:

Akiestar

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:45 am

Posting from SkyscraperCity: looks like they're making good progress with building out CEB's Terminal 2! :bigthumbsup:

SleeplessInZh

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:34 am

This is the best forum for airlines,especially pal.thank you for the updates devilfish!

SleeplessInZh

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 am

Omgod i'm so exited for the first 321neo.and if jaime bautista or philippine airlines is reading this post: please equipe all the upcoming 21 321neos with ife in both classes like malaysian airline for dlmestic asian flights!

Yahnih

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:01 am

The new a321 will Be lie flat. It was stated in their Mabunay magazine

idp5601

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Yahnih wrote:
The new a321 will Be lie flat. It was stated in their Mabunay magazine

From what I recall, the lie flat seats will only be for the A321LR subfleet. We may see a standard recliner seat in C class for the ACF version, but don't quote me on that.

Devilfish

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Akiestar wrote:
Posting from SkyscraperCity: looks like they're making good progress with building out CEB's Terminal 2! :bigthumbsup:

Props to fellow a.netter Kit for the nice pic. The interior will be a beehive of activity now as workers rush to complete the various systems in time for the soft opening. Though there seems to be a bit of supply issue with the roofing subcontract as the last bay is still not finished after having gone through an extended rainy season?

Shifting our attention to Clark.....BusinessMirror reports that JICA will start the detailed engineering design for Phase 2 of PNR Clark North project.....

http://media.philstar.com/images/the-ph ... th%202.jpg

:? The image must've been photoshopped in Japan too as the vehicles seem to be going on the wrong side...or will the line be built off to one side of the highway..... :confused:

https://businessmirror.com.ph/japan-to- ... h-phase-2/

Quote:
"The detailed engineering design for the second phase of the Philippine National Railways (PNR) Clark North Project from Malolos City in Bulacan to the Clark International Airport (CIA) here has started.

The first phase of the PNR Clark North is 38 kilometers, while the second phase is 69.5 kilometers.

Transportation Secretary Arthur P. Tugade said the railway track of the P150-billion PNR Clark North Phase 2 will be built to serve the new terminal of the CIA which is also currently being constructed and will be finished by 2020.

Tugade said Phase 1 of the PNR Clark North will be completed by 2021, ahead of the 2022 original schedule.

He said once completed, the entire PNR line from Tutuban all the way to the Clark airport will be an electrified, fully elevated and standard gauge railway."

MHG

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:31 pm

Has anyone an idea why 5J pulls out of CEB-TPE ?
Giving up against BR ???

flyingdoc787

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 am

I'm hoping PAL will put the kiss mark and "Love Bus" decals on their A350 (even with the current "Sunriser" logo). I still remember the TV ad that went with that- a woman kisses her businessman husband as he leaves for the airport, and the kiss mark on his cheek becomes the kiss mark on the A300!

On that note, any word on PAL "updating" their livery?

Akiestar

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 am

flyingdoc787 wrote:
I'm hoping PAL will put the kiss mark and "Love Bus" decals on their A350 (even with the current "Sunriser" logo). I still remember the TV ad that went with that- a woman kisses her businessman husband as he leaves for the airport, and the kiss mark on his cheek becomes the kiss mark on the A300!

That would be an interesting sight for sure! PR could use a retro livery or two. :biggrin:

As for the updated livery, nothing yet as far as I know. I wonder how they'd integrate the tail though to the fuselage to form a cheatline of sorts. Maybe something more than this Behance proposal.

idp5601

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Akiestar wrote:
flyingdoc787 wrote:

That would be an interesting sight for sure! PR could use a retro livery or two. :biggrin:

As for the updated livery, nothing yet as far as I know. I wonder how they'd integrate the tail though to the fuselage to form a cheatline of sorts. Maybe something more than this Behance proposal.

The sailed triangle logo/tail design just needs a little bit of work TBH - no need to replace it with a new one and it's basically a Philippine icon at this point. What they need, IMO, is a new font- the one they currently use looks cheap and dated. Same goes for their bland and boring Eurowhite livery; they should at least add some colourful designs on the fuselage.

airlineaddict

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Devilfish wrote:
No worry. If every other option dims, I guess PR would just let this soldier on there for a little bit longer..... :sigh: .....

.....it being the most derided plane in the fleet notwithstanding! :yuck: :frown:

Just saw that the A340 is scheduled for the morning LAX MNL flight in late March. Yuck is right!

georgiabill

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Has Cebu decided on adding 77W"S to open North American routes? If so how many,bought or leased? If not are they looking at 787'S or A359'S or have the decided to hold off on North American route expansion?

Devilfish

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:43 pm

MHG wrote:
Has anyone an idea why 5J pulls out of CEB-TPE ? Giving up against BR ???

And vs Air Asia too, it would seem...based on posted comments from SSC.

flyingdoc787 wrote:
I'm hoping PAL will put the kiss mark and "Love Bus" decals on their A350 (even with the current "Sunriser" logo). I still remember the TV ad that went with that

Here you go..... :puckerup: .....

Akiestar wrote:
That would be an interesting sight for sure! PR could use a retro livery or two.

PR's management doesn't seem to be into retrospectives. This could have been a great 75th anniversary retro livery on one of their A340s... :eyebrow: ...

.....minus the KLM sticker of course. El Kapitan probably thought it was a waste of time and money. :indifferent:

Akiestar wrote:

idp5601 wrote:
The sailed triangle logo/tail design just needs a little bit of work TBH - no need to replace it with a new one and it's basically a Philippine icon at this point. What they need, IMO, is a new font- the one they currently use looks cheap and dated. Same goes for their bland and boring Eurowhite livery; they should at least add some colourful designs on the fuselage.

Yes...no need to fix something that's not broken. "Cheap and dated" suit the example better. There's an aesthetic reason why "Eurowhite" liveries endure.

airlineaddict wrote:
Just saw that the A340 is scheduled for the morning LAX MNL flight in late March. Yuck is right!

PR's first A359s are due 3rdQ of this year. After YYZ and JFK, we might just see one operating the second daily LAX frequency during the lean months when all six on firm order are delivered.

georgiabill wrote:
Has Cebu decided on adding 77W"S to open North American routes? If so how many,bought or leased? If not are they looking at 787'S or A359'S or have the decided to hold off on North American route expansion?

5J seem to have abandoned their planned expansion into the U.S., for the time being at least.

LurveBus

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Akiestar wrote:
flyingdoc787 wrote:

That could be mistaken for MAS :biggrin:

Anyway, the A350s might not arrive that early. Which makes one think that the A340s should’ve been refurbished as soon as they were acquired if it would’ve been known that they’d be in the fleet for this long

Devilfish

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:44 am

LurveBus wrote:
Anyway, the A350s might not arrive that early. Which makes one think that the A340s should’ve been refurbished as soon as they were acquired if it would’ve been known that they’d be in the fleet for this long

Line #221, PR's first A359, is still listed for 2018. Are you saying first A359 delivery to PR is delayed again :?: That could mean we may still be seeing PR's A340 at LAX for a little while yet.....

Any idea about the status of PR's new U.S. route applications? :shhh:

luchtzak wrote:
Philippine AirAsia cooling down brakes procedure with cardboard:

They're fanning evil spirits away...... :hot: ..... :laughing:

Akiestar

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Some news coming out of the Manila Standard: information on where PR wants to fly next!

Philippine Airlines said it will mount non-stop flights to Brisbane, Australia, India and the US East Coast via the polar route this year.

PAL, the flag carrier led by tycoon Lucio Tan, said it would deploy new Airbus A321 NEOs by February and A350s by June for these international flights.

idp5601

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:54 pm

PAL really needs to either join an alliance or get more partnerships if it wants its FFP to be taken seriously again. Maybe once the strategic investor comes in (hopefully) later this year MM might finally be competitive.

Another thing PR needs to fix is their horrible Mabuhay Miles website. I looked at it earlier and it is definitely not one of the most user-friendly sites out there. Unlike with KrisFlyer and Asia Miles, the Mabuhay Miles site does not offer a quick search tool to find out how much miles you need to get to fly a certain route - instead, you have to check with a chart. Which is not convenient at all. OTP award redemption is a big step forward compared with their previous system of award booking, but it's still a joke compared to the other FFPs where you can actually redeem awards online. Hope Mr Bautista and co realise they also need to improve their frequent flyer program if they want to be taken seriously.

SleeplessInZh

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 am

Will be qatar airways the investor?i hope not etihad airways,bad investor.ana is not good enough.lufthansa?not the best either.lets hope for qatar or emirates!one world is the best for them.but cathay is a jealous company.

hayzel777

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:04 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
Will be qatar airways the investor?i hope not etihad airways,bad investor.ana is not good enough.lufthansa?not the best either.lets hope for qatar or emirates!one world is the best for them.but cathay is a jealous company.

Emirates doesn't do investments in other airlines.

idp5601

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:

EY isn't looking for new airlines to buy anyway, EK doesn't invest in other airlines, and I don't think LH is interested in an airline outside Europe right now. There's a big chance it could very well be QR (given their recent investments in CX and Meridiana), although NH might be a possibility. The HNA Group could be a possibility as well, although their recent debt troubles might be a very big turn off for the PAL execs. For all we know PR management might partly base their decision on whether the strategic investor can sponsor them for membership into an alliance.

Devilfish

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Philippines Air Asia and Cebu Pacific landed at the top of the world's Least Punctual Airlines list..... :embarrassed2: .....

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0p2sqGcWbyE/ ... c%2B(PHOTO)%2BAjig%2BIbasco.jpg

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... rline.html

At least, PAA can say their plane's brakes overheated and thus could not make the trip back in time. :flamed:

A Gulfstream G200 made an emergency landing at the unfinished Bicol International Airport..... :faint: .....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTNGNSRVAAADoRy.jpg

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... t-bia.html

Quote:
"A Gulfstream G200 (RP-C280) jet belonging to Asian Aerospace has made an emergency landing at Bicol International Airport (BIA) runway 11:30a.m. Wednesday due to heavy downdraft while on final approach to Legaspi Airport.

The jet that departed Manila Domestic Airport came to a complete stop at the shoulder of the runway laying at the grassy area of the BIA in Daraga, Albay, some 5 nautical miles from its intended destination.

[.....]

The private jet chartered by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) was piloted by Captain Pedro Pangilinan, Jr. and First Officer Jasper Ferguson and carried four passengers whose names are withheld due to 'privacy issues.'

THE Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) disclosed that BIA is still a non-operational airport as it is still under construction but with a completed runway. There is also no control tower and ARFF vehicles that would assist the distressed aircraft."

Wonder why the names of passengers of a chartered jet by a Government financial institution could not be disclosed due to privacy issues. :scratchchin:

The MCIA Terminal 2 Project is featured on Arup's website.....

https://www.arup.com/projects/mactan-ce ... al-airport

Wishing Manila's new international gateway would have something like Taoyuan's T3..... :crossfingers:

From SkyscraperCity..... :smile: .....

https://instagram.fmnl4-3.fna.fbcdn.net ... 7136_n.jpg

SleeplessInZh

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Devilfish whats your name in skyscrapercity?

SleeplessInZh

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
SleeplessInZh wrote:

I know.hehe.but would be surprising if emirates will invest and take pal as their first...and why.?..growing economy with a population of 100million.ramon ang should now build the aetropolis...to give investors a bigger impact.

SleeplessInZh

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm

idp5601 wrote:
Akiestar wrote:
flyingdoc787 wrote:

Better to have 3 thin stripes under the windows like singapore airlines...blue,golden,red...with the philippine flag ending next to the front door.it should be thinner than the retro one.'Philippines' should be bigger like QATAR but 'Philippines'.they should change the name to Philippines Airline on their homepage.the tail should stay like that.

Devilfish

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:20 pm

SleeplessInZh wrote:
Devilfish whats your name in skyscrapercity?

I'm not a member. I just link interesting things I read there, post those here, and give them credit.

hayzel777

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:41 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:
SleeplessInZh wrote:

I know.hehe.but would be surprising if emirates will invest and take pal as their first...and why.?..growing economy with a population of 100million.ramon ang should now build the aetropolis...to give investors a bigger impact.

Still a low-yield destination. I would bet on Qatar, since they seem to love to invest.

Akiestar

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 am

Not sure if these have been discussed yet, but some news items. First, the Philippine Daily Inquirer has stated that a decision on the Bulacan airport proposal will be made this month.

The National Economic and Development Authority’s Investment Coordination Committee (ICC) will decide this month whether or not it will green-light San Miguel Corp.’s proposed airport project in Bulacan.

“It was discussed in the ICC technical board. We asked DOTr [the Department of Transportation] to submit additional information to enable us to validate some of the assumptions,” Neda Undersecretary Rolando G. Tungpalan told reporters last week.

According to Tungpalan, certain assumptions vital to reaching a decision had to be amplified such as the project’s revenue sources.

Meanwhile, over at CRK, six MIASCOR employees have been suspended over a luggage theft scandal.

“Six suspects who are employees of MIASCOR were placed under preventive suspension for the pilferage of the luggage of one Jovenil Dela Cruz of Pandi, Bulacan whose experience was posted in Facebook and went viral,” Clark airport acting president Alexander Cauguiran said in a statement on Thursday.

“I will also recommend to MIASCOR the termination from employment of these suspects,” Cauguiran said, adding that measures were being undertaken with airlines and ground handlers to ensure such incidents would not happen again.

Dela Cruz uploaded a video on Facebook on Wednesday where he expressed his dismay after he discovered his luggage and boxes were pilfered.

The DOT has also stated that we need more air routes to bring in more tourists.

“We are asking airlines to help us by opening new routes,” Tourism Secretary Wanda Corazon Teo said in a forum yesterday.

Teo said more airlines should operate more flights to Palawan, Cebu and Clark in Pampanga.

She earlier encouraged Chinese charter operators to mount flights to other airports such as Clark, Palawan, Davao and Cebu.

PR, in the same article, was said to be increasing charter flights to secondary destinations.

Moving on to Cebu, the small Bantayan Airport (RPSB; still not sure what its IATA code is) in the province's extreme north is now under the management of the MCIAA. (N.B.: I think this is the first time another government agency is managing a CAAP-owned airport, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

The authority to manage the airport in Bantayan Island has been transferred from the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) to the Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority(MCIAA) last Friday.

MCIAA Operations Manager Cristina Matondo told The FREEMAN that the ceremonial turnover was done last Friday with her as the representative of the airport management and Engineer Fermin Agpasa representing CAAP.

Matondo said the island airport continues to accommodate small aviation operations. She clarified that it will be MCIAA that will manage and GMR-Megawide will not be taking part of it.

And finally, some airline (as opposed to airport) news: Z2 is readying their MNL-KIX flights for the second half of the year.

Philippines AirAsia Inc. plans to start mounting flights from Manila to Osaka, Japan in the second half.

“We secured some entitlements,” Philippines AirAsia chief executive officer Dexter Comendador told reporters.

He said the carrier is also considering launching flights to Osaka from Clark.

They also said they want to launch more flights to Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Singapore.

idp5601

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 am

Akiestar wrote:
First, the Philippine Daily Inquirer has stated that a decision on the Bulacan airport proposal will be made this month.

The National Economic and Development Authority’s Investment Coordination Committee (ICC) will decide this month whether or not it will green-light San Miguel Corp.’s proposed airport project in Bulacan.

If the article is accurate, the ICC held their technical board meeting yesterday, so we may already know in a few days/weeks if the airport project is a go.

SleeplessInZh

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:55 am

https://youtu.be/eXr9tAm3z2Q

The Past,Present and Future of Philippine Airlines
Video by DJ Aviation

Don't forget to like!

Devilfish

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am

Here's one for the books.....SSS is joining the fray to redevelop NAIA..... :o .....

http://business.inquirer.net/243977/meg ... bilitation

Quote:
"Construction and infrastructure conglomerate Megawide Corp. is teaming up with the state-owned Social Security System (SSS) to bid for the right to rehabilitate and operate the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), the highly-congested main gateway to Metro Manila.

The proposed “mega-consortium” to be formed by Megawide and SSS is seen as a formidable rival to the “super-consortium” recently created by six of the country’s largest conglomerates who also seek to rehabilitate NAIA. The rival “super-consortium” consists of the Ayala, Aboitiz, Andrew Tan, Lucio Tan, Gokongwei, Metro Pacific and Gotianun groups.

SSS chair Amado Valdez announced the potential partnership with Megawide to rehabilitate NAIA on Friday during the ceremonial signing of the SSS’ entry as a 5.17-percent stockholder of Megawide.

Valdez said SSS and Megawide had formed a technical working group for NAIA redevelopment, citing potential synergy with its redevelopment of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport."

There's something distasteful about a government institution competing with the private sector for a Government project. :spin:

idp5601

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:26 pm

SleeplessInZh wrote:

Something I forgot to add to my reply to this comment: PR and CX have historically had good relations; should they decide to join OW, I doubt Cathay would block their entry.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos