Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MoKa777
Topic Author

Question about unpainted MS A332 SU-GCG

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Hi everyone.

I noticed the CAI-JNB-CAI flight being operated by SU-GCG yesterday (01/01/2018).

It is unpainted. According to what I can gather from PlaneSpotters, it was delivered to MS in 2005 in the old livery. In 2011 it was repainted into the new livery. From at least 01/01/2017, it has been bare white (funny enough, exactly 1 year to the day of me noticing it being unpainted).

This ^ is all based on info and pics from PlaneSpotters.

What is the reason for this? The other 9 A330s in the fleet appear to be painted, with one also wearing Star Alliance colours.

It seems very odd and too long to be a transitionary period between paints or something of that sort.

khowaga

Re: Question about unpainted MS A332 SU-GCG

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Does it get used on the TLV route?

MoKa777
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 am

khowaga wrote:

That is highly likely!

I just checked out the Air Sinai Wikipedia page and found this: "Other types, including larger aircraft are also used based on operational requirements, with EgyptAir markings removed."

khowaga

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:23 am

MoKa777 wrote:
khowaga wrote:

That is highly likely!

I just checked out the Air Sinai Wikipedia page and found this: "Other types, including larger aircraft are also used based on operational requirements, with EgyptAir markings removed."

IIRC LY no longer serves CAI, so MS (erm, sorry, “Air Sinai”) is the only carrier on the route.

Of course, it’s also possible that it’s hanging around for a wet lease, but TLV seems the most likely explanation for why they’d use an unpainted aircraft?

NichCage

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:42 am

Royal Jordanian flies to Tel Aviv and they fly the route with there own aircraft in there own livery. Why does EgyptAir need to use Air Sinai? They can operate an aircraft in the EgyptAir livery to and from Tel Aviv and there not gonna be banned from serving other muslim countries. RJ and MS serve BEY, JED, RUH, DXB, etc. and just because they fly to Israel doesn't mean there gonna get banned from those countries. I just think it's weird how RJ serves the route normally but EgyptAir feels the need to serve the route via Air Sinai when they don't need to and won't get banned anywhere else for doing so.

Otherwise, how do you book CAI-TLV on Air Sinai? On a website or somewhere else? It can't be done most likely on the EgyptAir website.

khowaga

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 am

NichCage wrote:
Royal Jordanian flies to Tel Aviv and they fly the route with there own aircraft in there own livery. Why does EgyptAir need to use Air Sinai? They can operate an aircraft in the EgyptAir livery to and from Tel Aviv and there not gonna be banned from serving other muslim countries. RJ and MS serve BEY, JED, RUH, DXB, etc. and just because they fly to Israel doesn't mean there gonna get banned from those countries. I just think it's weird how RJ serves the route normally but EgyptAir feels the need to serve the route via Air Sinai when they don't need to and won't get banned anywhere else for doing so.

Otherwise, how do you book CAI-TLV on Air Sinai? On a website or somewhere else? It can't be done most likely on the EgyptAir website.

At the time Egypt signed the peace treaty with Israel in 1978 it did, indeed, face a backlash from other Arab countries (it was suspended from the Arab League and temporarily faced a boycott—IIRC it lasted til 1986), so MS could not operate the route on its own metal. Hence Air Sinai. Air Sinai ceased to exist in 2002, but you’re right that MS’s flights still carry the 4D code and are not bookable through MS’s website.

The political atmosphere was totally different when Jordan signed its treaty with Israel in 1994. The Oslo Peace Agreement was in place, it was a time of optimism—although RJ also had a subsidiary, Royal Wings, that technically operated the flight AMM-TLV initially. Unlike MS, however, the Royal Wings flight could be booked inter line with RJ’s other flights. That only lasted a couple of years — I remember by the time of my last visit to Israel in 1997 that RJ was already operating the flight itself.

Why MS feels the need to maintain the fiction today I’m not sure—I don’t think it’s about fearing being banned from other Arab countries so much as internal opinion?

khowaga

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:04 am

The really weird thing is that Palestinian Airlines, when they existed along with the short-lived Yasir Arafat International Airport in Gaza, flew from Gaza to several destinations in countries that didn’t recognize Israel or accept Israeli passports. I always wondered how that worked.

rutankrd

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:04 am

In the last six month it’s operated to country opposite of Tel Aviv which is normally a EMB170 .This untitled one

I fact this white 330 has been extensively used into Saudi Arabia and Kuwait ,

psimpson

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Egyptair are due sometime in the near future to convert 1 or 2 A332s to freighters.
Maybe that is why this aircraft is wearing white livery?

350Ops

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 am

I doubt it has anything to do with the TLV route, I recommend a different thread for that discussion. There is a 772 also in a white livery SU-GBS which is used on the CAN route occasionally, I’ve assumed it has been brought back in service after the 77W got clipped in JFK last month. I agree, they may be waiting for a wet lease, but also they could be waiting for Egyptair’s 85th year anniversary livery which a recently delivered 737 has been sporting it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos