Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chrisnh

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN) - 2018

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:13 pm

On October 13 I am scheduled to fly from Fort Myers to Manchester on DL. My booking was RSW-LGA-MHT. But I have discovered that they've switched me to RSW-ATL-MHT, and the ATL-MHT leg is shown as a 737-700. But I'm hearing from someone on our FB spotters page that it may actually end up being a 737-800. I'll be interested to see what it ends up being!

tomaheath

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:53 pm

chrisnh wrote:
On October 13 I am scheduled to fly from Fort Myers to Manchester on DL. My booking was RSW-LGA-MHT. But I have discovered that they've switched me to RSW-ATL-MHT, and the ATL-MHT leg is shown as a 737-700. But I'm hearing from someone on our FB spotters page that it may actually end up being a 737-800. I'll be interested to see what it ends up being!

I was just talking to a person today that’s works for DL in Manchester. Airbus starts tonight then goes to a 737 in a few weeks the 717 starts soon on the overnight DTW flight.

Fex180

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Unofficial numbers for PWM show June pax numbers up 19% and July up 20%, mostly due to F9. PWM handled almost 250K passengers in July

Fex180

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Unofficial numbers for PWM show June pax numbers up 19% and July up 20%, mostly due to F9. PWM handled almost 250K passengers in July
Last edited by Fex180 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fex180

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Unofficial numbers for PWM show June pax numbers up 19% from 2017 and July up 20%, mostly due to F9. PWM handled almost 250K passengers in July

Portlander

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks, not sure where you are finding these stats but can you share PWM's enplanements for the year through July 31? The Jetport handled 925,000 for CY 2017 and with the increased numbers I would assume it will break it's record and easily surpass 1 million.

Fex180

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Portlander wrote:
Thanks, not sure where you are finding these stats but can you share PWM's enplanements for the year through July 31? The Jetport handled 925,000 for CY 2017 and with the increased numbers I would assume it will break it's record and easily surpass 1 million.

From a PPH article about parking issues at the Jetport

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/08/24/ ... d-jetport/

Portlander

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Saw the article when it came out, wish it would have given some year to date numbers instead of percentages.

spinkid

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:19 am

Anyone think Chicopee/Westover service will ever return. The terminal is still there after the departure of Skybus which (hard to believe) was 10 years ago.

cheapgreek

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:35 am

spinkid wrote:
Anyone think Chicopee/Westover service will ever return. The terminal is still there after the departure of Skybus which (hard to believe) was 10 years ago.

Some years ago there was talk of the airport becoming a commercial airport. Nothing more was said. It would be a good airport for the large catchment area that Springfield provides and carriers like Allegiant and Frontier could do well with perhaps some flights by the majors to PHL,DTW,etc. Adding CEF would give Massachusetts travelers good coverage for all of the state, BOS,ORH and KEF. Massport could make it happen.

spinkid

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:00 am

cheapgreek wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Some years ago there was talk of the airport becoming a commercial airport. Nothing more was said. It would be a good airport for the large catchment area that Springfield provides and carriers like Allegiant and Frontier could do well with perhaps some flights by the majors to PHL,DTW,etc. Adding CEF would give Massachusetts travelers good coverage for all of the state, BOS,ORH and KEF. Massport could make it happen.

I tend to agree. What is the traffic situation like heading through Springfield?

I know the reason myself, and many others in Western CT avoid Bradley is because the traffic passing through Waterbury and Hartford is bad at rush hour and expanding to more hours of the day. It makes HPN and SWF much more appealing, or LGA for more non stop options.

spinkid

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 am

Thinking about it. It would be great if there were a commercial airport around Meriden or Middletown. somewhere between 691 and route 8.

Perhaps we can turn Waterbury-Oxford Municipal into a part 139 airport and lure Allegiant. lol

tomaheath

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:32 pm

With UA ORD flight from MHT axed (hopefully not for too long) why would WN go less than daily to MDW? I would of thought the Southwest would of seen a opportunity to add a flight or larger aircraft but they did the complete opposite by reducing flight and no flight at all on Sundays.

lat41

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:05 am

tomaheath wrote:
With UA ORD flight from MHT axed (hopefully not for too long) why would WN go less than daily to MDW? I would of thought the Southwest would of seen a opportunity to add a flight or larger aircraft but they did the complete opposite by reducing flight and no flight at all on Sundays.

I call it the Southwest "Western wall". In an effort to bolster travel in that direction from BOS where competition is hammering them, WN makes the fares high and available seats low from Manchester to the North and Providence to the South. To me, their idea is "if you like us at your city, you"ll follow us to BOS to travel West". Pinching off the seats and jacking up the fares to cities out West from MHT and PVD is Southwest's method. Where there is a choice, however, passengers find an alternate carrier or route from their home city instead. Hopefuly, in MHT, the choices will broaden so leisure and business travelers can do just that in time. Having PWN not too far away is not helping right now.

tomaheath

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:42 am

lat41 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:

I call it the Southwest "Western wall". In an effort to bolster travel in that direction from BOS where competition is hammering them, WN makes the fares high and available seats low from Manchester to the North and Providence to the South. To me, their idea is "if you like us at your city, you"ll follow us to BOS to travel West". Pinching off the seats and jacking up the fares to cities out West from MHT and PVD is Southwest's method. Where there is a choice, however, passengers find an alternate carrier or route from their home city instead. Hopefuly, in MHT, the choices will broaden so leisure and business travelers can do just that in time. Having PWN not too far away is not helping right now.

Thanks for your reply and information. You brought up a good point about price. I’m headed to LAS in a couple of weeks. While looking up flights WN was higher priced than UA DL and AA their prices seem to vary so much from day to day where the others seemed a little more consistent. I ended up choosing AA through Philly but ways on E190s and A321s.

airbazar

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Not surprised. One of the reasons I hardly ever fly WN is because their prices are always so much more expensive than everyone else. And on top of that I can't reserve a seat. I see no redeeming qualities for WN from either MHT or BOS, which are the only 2 airports I'd fly out of. Maybe they are more competitive in otehr parts of the country but around here it's hard to see how they can stay in business. I guess when you charge double the price you don't have to fly with high load factors.

Fex180

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:50 pm

airbazar wrote:
Not surprised. One of the reasons I hardly ever fly WN is because their prices are always so much more expensive than everyone else. And on top of that I can't reserve a seat. I see no redeeming qualities for WN from either MHT or BOS, which are the only 2 airports I'd fly out of. Maybe they are more competitive in otehr parts of the country but around here it's hard to see how they can stay in business. I guess when you charge double the price you don't have to fly with high load factors.

Almost seems like WN is getting ready for a larger scale down of operations at MHT. I could easily see MHT being reduced to a similar level of WN service as PWM. 3-4x daily to BWI and maybe 1x daily or Saturday service to MDW or MCO.

LotsaRunway

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Fex180 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Almost seems like WN is getting ready for a larger scale down of operations at MHT. I could easily see MHT being reduced to a similar level of WN service as PWM. 3-4x daily to BWI and maybe 1x daily or Saturday service to MDW or MCO.

What is your basis for being able to see this? Are loads and yields suffering to the point that WN would want to shift more operations into a highly competitive BOS where they are not doing all that well? I'm not being snarky. I just want to know if you have supporting information that I haven't seen.

tomaheath

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:46 pm

A local Manchester New station contacted WN. WN mentioned that they were happy for Manchester and that cargo was up 60%.

wnflyguy

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Fex180 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

MHT is making money for WN.
MHT in addition to service levels drop with the additions of BOS and PWM it also saw the trend that affected many small cities around the WN system.
That trend was the retirement of the 737-300 cause a fleet shortage which is now just back up to pre retirement levels it had a affect on a lot of small WN markets. MHT has seen a small rebound mostly thru more flights being upgraded to 737-800 vs 737-700. The available seats have increased some but flight schedule is still around 12 to 15 depending on the season. I don't think MHT-LAS will be gone forever I can see summer seasonal returns in the future. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Saturday only addition.
As for MHT dropping to 4 or 5 daily flights total it's not going to happen.

I can see PWM growing to maybe 8 daily flights in the summer season.

Flyguy

LotsaRunway

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Fex180 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

MHT in addition to service levels drop with the additions of BOS and PWM it also saw the trend that affected many small cities around the WN system.
That trend was the retirement of the 737-300 cause a fleet shortage which is now just back up to pre retirement levels it had a affect on a lot of small WN markets. MHT has seen a small rebound mostly thru more flights being upgraded to 737-800 vs 737-700. The available seats have increased some but flight schedule is still around 12 to 15 depending on the season. I don't think MHT-LAS will be gone forever I can see summer seasonal returns in the future. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Saturday only addition.

Flyguy

This is my understanding as well. I might word it that WN is putting the squeeze on MHT to help BOS, but certainly not giving up on it. I never could understand why WN didn't try to do more with PWM to MDW and MCO, but maybe that's in the longer range plans when they get more aircraft.

Thinking out loud a little here. I wonder if cannibalizing MHT and PVD to support BOS has been more profitable for WN than what they had before. It seems that BOS fares cut deeper into the profit margins. That said, I understand why they needed to go into BOS, but I'm not sure why they seem so willing to sell the New England farm to grow BOS at such low margins. Simple connectivity to hubs would have given WN FF's at other stations BOS access. The bloodbath could get worse with DL's plans to grow BOS.

chrisnh

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:00 pm

A WN plane that lands at MHT is stopped at the gate 60 seconds after it touches down. It’s 6 times that at BOS. Going the other way, that 737 has the runway to itselfat MHT whereas it’s in a long conga line at BOS. That’s fuel. Wasted.

pwm2txlhopper

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:26 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Fex180 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Flyguy

They've been here at PWM for five or six years now, and still haven't added flights. It's the same four per day to BWI (5 in summer) they started with when Air Tran got bought out. With Saturday only service to MDW and MCO seasonally that most people don't even know about. They don't even have a station here with SW employees, nor is cargo available at PWM.

I don't think Southwest has much interest in PWM? Hopefully, they'll add some Florida flights to try and drive off Frontier when they start RSW and TPA next month. MCO just commenced last month. DEN would be nice for getting out west. butI wouldn't hold my breath.

Fex180

Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:21 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Fex180 wrote:

Flyguy

They've been here at PWM for five or six years now, and still haven't added flights. It's the same four per day to BWI (5 in summer) they started with when Air Tran got bought out. With Saturday only service to MDW and MCO seasonally that most people don't even know about. They don't even have a station here with SW employees, nor is cargo available at PWM.

I don't think Southwest has much interest in PWM? Hopefully, they'll add some Florida flights to try and drive off Frontier when they start RSW and TPA next month. MCO just commenced last month. DEN would be nice for getting out west. butI wouldn't hold my breath.

This summer they were only running 4x daily to BWI but at least one rt a day (and sometimes two) were on 738's Personally I'm very surprised that they haven't at least tried a seasonal daily to MDW.

It does seem like they just want to keep a token presence at PWM, although their numbers keep inching up.

On a side note, B6's pax numbers at PWM, have been on a long slow decline, I assume that's mostly because of competition from WN and now F9, and also more offerings out of BOS.

tomaheath

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Rainy days make the mind wonder sometimes. With AA seeming to be the only airline right now somewhat interested in Manchester would a flight to PHX or DFW work? As mentioned before it would be nice to have a Midwest flight out of the snow belt. How did Southwest do on the PHX route back when they last ran it? I’d think the Phoenix would be a decent connection point for along the whole west coast. Morning flight out of Manchester should get you there around noon then leave Phoenix in the afternoon get to Manchester in the evening. AA runs bothe LAX and DFW from BDL I feel I’m not being completely crazy thinking/wishing this.

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:07 am

BTV has an announcement 10:00am on Wednesday, could be F9 or maybe reintroduction of a Florida P2P route.

My bet is F9

aaflyer777

Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:39 am

I'm still crossing my fingers F9 decides to start MHT, its the type of airport they like to fly to and there's definitely a market for them to fill

tomaheath

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:05 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
I'm still crossing my fingers F9 decides to start MHT, its the type of airport they like to fly to and there's definitely a market for them to fill

The new director mentioned that Manchester’s cost was a little high for its size. Maybe he’ll be able to lower costs some to help get some new service.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:34 pm

I can't imagine BTV isn't F9. 24 hours from now we will know!

Fex180

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:

I don't think F9 would start at MHT. All that would do would cannibalize their PWM service.

I can definitely see F9 at BTV. Winter seasonal BTV-MCO or TPA. Maybe summer flights to DEN?? I don't think that would be too much of a stretch given how successful PWM-DEN has been.

paysonmt77

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:47 pm

I am wondering if Allegiant might be coming back to BTV, we could be all surprised and see Elite offer service, or Spirit.. but my bet is F9 to set up shop....MCO, DEN..TPA

WeatherPilot

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:02 pm

F9 has posted BTV to its' schedule.

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:49 pm

So far seeing for sure MCO/DEN from BTV on F9

Fex180

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Where are you seeing DEN?? I can only see MCO

bomber996

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:33 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

My bet is a DEN-BTV-MCO-BTV-DEN day long rotation. Early departure from Denver, late arrival back.

Peace :box:

WeatherPilot

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:38 am

bomber996 wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

My bet is a DEN-BTV-MCO-BTV-DEN day long rotation. Early departure from Denver, late arrival back.

I said the same on the other thread. If the numbers are their for F9 with DEN and MCO they'll probably start TPA, RDU and RSW shortly after.

WeatherPilot

WeatherPilot wrote:
bomber996 wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

I said the same on the other thread. If the numbers are there for F9 with DEN and MCO they'll probably start TPA, RDU and RSW shortly after.

WeatherPilot

WeatherPilot wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
bomber996 wrote:

I said the same on the other thread. If the numbers are there for F9 with DEN and MCO they'll probably start TPA, RDU and RSW shortly after.

Fex180

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

I assume these routes would be starting in Nov. Very surprised they decided to start DEN in winter. I wonder if they intend to keep it year round (if they have good numbers of course) or as a winter seasonal for people going to ski resorts.

Fex180

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:58 am

Pretty shocked to go on the F9 website this morning and see that they are starting at PSM in December. The only route I can see right now is PSM-MCO running Tues/Thurs/Sun

still, definitely didn't see this coming

aaflyer777

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Fex180 wrote:
Pretty shocked to go on the F9 website this morning and see that they are starting at PSM in December. The only route I can see right now is PSM-MCO running Tues/Thurs/Sun

still, definitely didn't see this coming

Well there goes any hope of them starting MHT, kinda odd they've decided to run PWM and PSM seeing as they're only about an hour drive apart

paysonmt77

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Looking at the schedules for both PWM and PSM comparably: PWM-MCO flies on the days that PSM does not so no direct competition in Dec/Jan/Feb. However at PSM, Frontier will fly against the scheduled allegiant schedule. This will be an interesting dog fight even though allegiant flies to SFB. Both airports combined will cover each day to MCO on Frontier. PWM has the better schedule at Monday, Wed, Friday, Sat

bomber996

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Is there any official release from PSM or F9 on the PSM service? I haven't been able to find anything outside of the F9 website booking engine.

Good for PSM, sucks for MHT.

Fex180

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 pm

paysonmt77 wrote:
Looking at the schedules for both PWM and PSM comparably: PWM-MCO flies on the days that PSM does not so no direct competition in Dec/Jan/Feb. However at PSM, Frontier will fly against the scheduled allegiant schedule. This will be an interesting dog fight even though allegiant flies to SFB. Both airports combined will cover each day to MCO on Frontier. PWM has the better schedule at Monday, Wed, Friday, Sat

It is odd given that Portland and Portsmouth are less than an hour apart on the turnpike. Maybe bookings from PWM were strong enough that they decided PSM-MCO wouldn't be detrimental to their PWM operations.

Also definitely not good news for MHT.

airbazar

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Fex180 wrote:
paysonmt77 wrote:

It is odd given that Portland and Portsmouth are less than an hour apart on the turnpike. Maybe bookings from PWM were strong enough that they decided PSM-MCO wouldn't be detrimental to their PWM operations.

But PSM works for some of us in Mass, better than MHT.
I live off of I-495 about 10min closer to PSM than MHT and they have FREE parking. There are also a lot of towns in MAss for whom PSM will be cheaper and more convenient than BOS. Haverhill, Newburryport, Amesbury, Topsfield, are all less than 30 mins away.

iyerhari

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Fex180 wrote:

Question is did MHT even try for G4? If MHT mgmt. feels that they can depend on spillover service from BOS, it is going to challenging in the current times when there are other airports in the region who are vying for new service. I agree with you - not a good news for MHT.

chrisnh

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 pm

In my mind, I always waffle between two schools of thought.

First, no matter WHAT airport managers do, airlines will go where they want regardless.

Second, airport managers DO play a huge role, and the airports that succeed are the ones with proactive managers.

I've been more in the second camp, but, boy, this is not a good look for MHT.

airbazar

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:02 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Question is did MHT even try for G4? If MHT mgmt. feels that they can depend on spillover service from BOS, it is going to challenging in the current times when there are other airports in the region who are vying for new service. I agree with you - not a good news for MHT.

According to someone on a different thread, F9 says MHT is too expensive.
If that's true that's really bad.

Fex180

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:47 pm

airbazar wrote:
Fex180 wrote:
paysonmt77 wrote:

But PSM works for some of us in Mass, better than MHT.
I live off of I-495 about 10min closer to PSM than MHT and they have FREE parking. There are also a lot of towns in MAss for whom PSM will be cheaper and more convenient than BOS. Haverhill, Newburryport, Amesbury, Topsfield, are all less than 30 mins away.

I can see PSM being able to capture northern Mass, the NH seacoast and parts of the Manchester area. Maybe the suits at F9 don't see too much overlap between the PWM / PSM markets, but I think PSM would stay a pretty limited operation. I can't see PSM-DEN or PSM-RDU. Might just be another loading point to get New Englanders to warmer climates.

In 2018 Frontier has expanded to PWM, BTV, and PSM. Southwest and Jetblue need to stop ignoring their secondary New England markets or they might find themselves fighting for leftovers.

georgiabill

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm

When does the new airport director start at MHT? If I remember correctly he is coming from one of the Houston airports.
Does anyone think NK might consider adding MHT should airport fees get lowered?
I am hoping should WN add new flights from MHT they would restore MHT-DEN,seasonal MHT-FLL and consider adding MHT-STL service and seasonal MHT-RSW service.
For ORD from MHT hoping AA will give it a try 2x daily.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos