tomaheath

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN) - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:02 am

VS4ever wrote:
Ok, so as promised, I figured out how to do the OTP for BDL, file is linked below, data thru September 18

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nkYoU ... EUSQXpZPR5

Caveats

Like any tables from the DOT they have their limits, here's this tables:

1. Data only from Jan 2018, no previous comparatives at the regional carrier level available, although total carrier level is available for prior years i have ignored this for the purposes of the exercise.
2. Domestic, PR and USVI only, no international data available.
3. Carriers reporting: DL, UA, AA, WN, B6, NK
4. Carriers reporting regional ops, DL, UA, AA
5. Main Data is BDL, however I know a user of this thread is a big HVN fan, so somewhere buried in the data maybe an easter egg for that person...
7. For this version, i have done a Month (Sep) , QTD (Q3), YTD (Jan to Sep).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How the report works:

New Information
This month, I have figured out how to pull which Tail for each airline has passed through BOS the most, it does not give me actual model data, but for future months i may look that up if I can. I have added the Tail number and the number of times it passed through. For a couple of airlines, the data is not 100% complete, so the largest number is a "blank", so I have gone with the next largest number to have a reference.

Section 1 -
a) Bidirectional data of number of flights, cancellations and diverts, showing a net completion # and % along with a rough average stage length, grand totals attempt to be weighted average, still working through that.
b) Average Elapsed Time is total flight time including air and ground, separated by air and ground underneath. Ground time is effectively a combination of Taxi Time out (departure) and Taxi Time in (arrival) at the relevant airports.
c) # of aircraft used: this is quite awesome information, although i wish it was just a little more detailed, basically this table has "tail reg" information, so i can actually count how many aircraft are used by each carrier. I can actually dive into how many on a particular route if needed, but i do not have aircraft types or load factors in these tables, so please do not ask if i do!. However what I DO have is which aircraft are used on which route on a given day and by flight number, and times if you are interested, please ask. I also have the detailed tables for each airline, but be warned they are big, so it's unlikely i can send them directly to you.

Section 2 -
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is OUTBOUND from BOS only information, so it's not the same as section 1.
# of flights, cancellations and diversions for a % completion factor, # of departures per day is based on the the gross number not the net and remember does NOT include international, so complaining that DL are at 115 for example and the data is wrong, is incorrect, because as noted, it's domestic only.. sorry.

Section 3
Also OUTBOUND only
This is On Time Performance, so net of cancellations, how many were delayed out of BOS, On-time as defined by DOT is leaving less than 15 minutes late, % OTP to see who is doing better than others. The departures per day shows how many flights are getting off the ground as opposed to section 2, which is how many are supposed to each day.

Section 4
I'm still getting to grips with this section, however basically a breakout of the key delay factors reported by this table i am working with. Carrier Delay is delays caused by non-aircraft carrier activities, Weather and ATC are obvious, then there is Inbound aircraft delay as well. ALSO OUTBOUND from BOS info.

Section 5
Breakdown of why flights are cancelled by category, whether by the carrier, Weather or ATC

Section 6
Breakdown of how long flights were delayed for and how many
-2 to 0 - on time
12 = 180+, no limit, others are blocked by 15 minute intervals.

Other Info
Highest and Lowest in each section, for those with multi-carriers, i have split those out on separate tabs for viewing along with ORH information for B6.

Commentary

Month - September[/u]
DL takes the flights completed award with a perfect 100%, all 453 completed, runner up was WN that got so close, but had 1 diverted, bringing up the rear was AA with 20 cancellations and 2 diverts for 96.96%. Piedmont and Trans States were the killers for AA, sadly.

DL also led the On-time departure list with a 93.6% rating a full 2.5% ahead of WN and nearly 9% better than also ran AA and 5% better than the overall average.

Overall 73% of flights departed early, Winner in this category was NK with 81.7% followed by UA with 80.7% However once you get past that, everything flips with the on-time 0-15 minutes late category going to WN with 23.5% and DL with 16,6%, UA drops to 6.7% and NK 8.4%

In terms of reasons why flights were late, AA got hit with 34 minute ATC delays, NK close behind with 32. , B6 suffered from inbound aircraft being 29 minutes late (UA was second with 27) and B6 drove the most carrier delays at an average of 16 minutes.
One interesting stat is that clearly AA was taxiing their planes to Hartford and back, as they took 15 minutes compared to DL's 5.. either that or the ATC guy is a relation of one of the big DL Fan Boys on this site.

23 flights out of 2,401 recorded (domestic-outbound only) were delayed more than 3 hours. More surprisingly, 32 flights departed more than 15 minutes Early with B6 managing 13 of those.

[u]YTD - September

DL had the best completed record YTD with 98.84% making it out of 4,303 outbound flights with 44 cancelled and 8 diverts, runner up was NK with 97.59%, 30 cancelled and 2 diverts, last place went to AA with 95.88%, 330 cancelled and 13 diverted on 6,774 flights logged.

For On time performance . DL wins hands down with 88.14%, a nearly 4% lead over 2nd placed WN , bringing up the rear, old favorite B6, with a 73.42% on 2,664 flights.

Overall 64% of flights departed early and UA was the leader with 74% of theirs going out in that category NK a close 2nd, WN brings up the rear with 51.9%. WN claws itself back in the ontime category with a whopping 32% of flights departing in that time frame.

The late category shows B6 having over 4.7% of their flights delayed over 2 hours. Next up was NK with 3.8%, WN did best at 1.5%

In terms of reasons why flights were late,
NK- 43 minute ATC Delays
NK - 40 minute inbound aircraft delays, WN with 39
DL - 31 minute carrier delays

299 flights delayed more than 3 hours, 203 left more than 15 minutes early

Anyway, plenty more data for you to look at in the file. Enjoy.

Depending on time, i might do one more, so you guys get to vote.. would you like to see
a) RI with PVD
b) VT with BTV
c) ME with PWM and BGR
d) NH with MHT and PSM

As always thanks for you hard work on this thread as well as the Boston one as well. As a Manchester fan I’d love to see that list but I may be the minority here.

Portlander

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:20 pm

PWM and BGR please.

RKDFlier

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm

ME: PWM and BGR
I never profesed to be perfict

airbazar

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 pm

VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:
I think we may have to wait and see how WOW's business situation shakes out before anything happens. But I agree it could happen in the near future. Just might be FI instead of WW.

Personally I think FI would be better suited for the market. I suspect that this is a well balanced market with business, cargo and leisure demand.
WOW is more of a low cost people mover with a bad reputation in the business community.

1/2 kidding, 1/2 serious, but I could see a fish for lobster cargo swap happening here as a way to support. Maybe 3 weekly as a start to test the market to say 4 or 5 weekly in the summer, if marketed right, they could link this into Acadia tourism (they already have the cruise ships calling there), I would have also said a link to PEI on the ferry, but last i heard the plan is to move that to Bar Harbor anyway.

The timing of this maybe right for 19 or a 2020 start, plus with being a short route could allow decent utilization of an aircraft if they couple it with another couple of routes.

If this farm goes ahead, you can bet we'll see FI in Portland.
https://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/30/ ... -in-maine/

uconn99

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:06 pm

Great write up, I would like to see PVD. Can you do anything with LF and fares?

VS4ever

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:18 pm

uconn99 wrote:

tphuang is the expert on that front, he's way better at that than me, but let me see what i can come up with in the meantime.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

33lspotter

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:42 am

BGR and PWM!

uconn99

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:31 am

VS4ever wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

tphuang is the expert on that front, he's way better at that than me, but let me see what i can come up with in the meantime.

Much appreciated!

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:57 am

Porter is leaving BTV, I know it's been posted in other forums. They say they will come back after pre clearance goes in.

Staffing problems and immigration clearance wasn't ideal . I think staffing was their biggest issues.

btvhopper

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 am

Thanks for the BDL analysis. I would love to see BTV....and maybe PWM too. It seems both of those airports have been growing a lot in the last 1-4 years at the expense of MHT (or, really just regaining market share that originated from Maine/Vermont that had previously leaked to MHT).

btvhopper

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:30 am

Is the Porter preclearance issue at BTV or at Billy Bishop (YTZ)? I would love to see a 2-3x weekly transatlantic flight of they can put a customs/immigration station inside the terminal.

I know it’s a pipe dream, but if they’re serious about transatlantic at PWM (as posters have recently suggested) one would presume BTV it would make a much more successful market. Many fundamentals (rather, proximity to Montreal) indicate BTV would be more successful for say a less-than-daily budget A330 transatlantic flight than PWM. The taxes/fees in canada don’t support budget airlines, while leakage to BOS is much less of an issue.

VS4ever

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 am

btvhopper wrote:
Thanks for the BDL analysis. I would love to see BTV....and maybe PWM too. It seems both of those airports have been growing a lot in the last 1-4 years at the expense of MHT (or, really just regaining market share that originated from Maine/Vermont that had previously leaked to MHT).

I wish I could do one for those, but data for them is very thin on the ground outside of the T-100’s
I am working on PWM for the OTP stuff, but an analysis like I’ve done for BDL and PVD is tough for the markets shares and the like, but if I could get the info in some decent format from them regularly, I would love to do them
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

B595

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:43 am

btvhopper wrote:
I would love to see a 2-3x weekly transatlantic flight of they can put a customs/immigration station inside the terminal.

Same here - I've been quietly hoping that BTV would move forward with an in-terminal customs facility, to beat PBG to the punch with Montreal-oriented transatlantic service. Customs/immigration aside, though, PBG seems better positioned to fill the role of a Montreal transatlantic reliever. Much longer runway, bigger border crossing on I-87, shorter drive time to Montreal. And according to a story in the local Plattsburgh news the airport is already actively seeking a Paris service (I don't know how they'd handle the customs processing, but that was the story).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos