CriticalPoint
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:53 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
The first UA 737 MAX has been painted!
https://twitter.com/airlinegeeks/status ... 72992?s=21


I wonder how this will affect Houston? :D :duck:
 
User avatar
nikeson13
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:35 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:10 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
The first UA 737 MAX has been painted!
https://twitter.com/airlinegeeks/status ... 72992?s=21

Spectacular. If the gold wave is gradually rolled out fleet-wide... :o
Nikolas
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:22 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
319:
N4888U sked to exit LCQ Induction 2803/6Apr - 12th ex-China Southern 319

There are two ex-CZ A320 at LCQ and then that’s supposedly it for this year. There are 14 A319s listed for future delivery...at the moment anyway.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:44 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:
The first UA 737 MAX has been painted!
https://twitter.com/airlinegeeks/status ... 72992?s=21

Looks good! I wish they'd paint more of the fleet like that. It's interesting that it's slightly different than the 787 scheme — the cheatline on the 737 runs under the nose.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:55 am

Regarding the 772 Polaris configuration, that configuration will have 20.7% of total seats in BF. The only other aircraft UA has with over 20% is the 789 with 23.7%. Most others are in the 19% range (763 is 16%).

I looked at the 77W and 763 Polaris configurations and noted the last row of Polaris is always the angled seat. I believe UA should have pulled the last row of Polaris window seats (straight pointing) - 2 seats removed and add 1 or 2 rows on each side for 6E+ or 12Y seats. The resulting config would be 48/246=296 or 48/252=300. Note that the sUA 772 IPTE has 48 seats up front and sCO config has 50BF.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:03 am

atcsundevil wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
The first UA 737 MAX has been painted!
https://twitter.com/airlinegeeks/status ... 72992?s=21

Looks good! I wish they'd paint more of the fleet like that. It's interesting that it's slightly different than the 787 scheme — the cheatline on the 737 runs under the nose.

If you compare the 789 and the 79M, my guess is the 79M curve runs lower at the front to avoid the radome. If the radome is replaced there can be alignment issues. The 789 has a different radome that would require a much lower gold line at the front to avoid the radome.
Note that even if the radomes are exactly the same on the MAX and 737NG, any swapping between types would require re-painting. That assumes that all MAXes will get the Wave and who knows that answer?.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
VC10er
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:06 am

CAL wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Last and most important of all things aviation: I STILL keep getting “FAREWELL 747” tin amenity kits. I have 11 of them, I have to start throwing them out. What happened to those nice Saks Fifth Ave kits that matched the duvets?


I have bad news for you. The small Saks Fifth Ave kits are coming back right now but only to deplete what is left over in stock. We are getting a new tin amenity kit that is almost the exact same as the 747 tin it just says United/Polaris instead. I'm not sure what they are thinking with this. Nobody takes them. Everyone liked the Saks kits and some of the others you could take with you at the end of the trip. Nobody wants to hang onto a bid tin.


WELL THEN, I’m going to write them ASAP and trash the tin! They must be cheaper than the Saks zippered kits, which are really nicely done. The tins are often dented and yes - I will now start leaving them on the ac. I hope they keep the padded eyeshades...losing those would be tragic!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
VC10er
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:21 am

Is there an image of this new amazing Aspire Y seat?

So, since the 764 might be the very last to get Polaris, is that why they are not on the Polaris progress chart?

I don’t understand why the MAX gets a wavy line? It’s just a 737 for the passengers and it’s not as impressive a new aircraft as the 787. I can see the A350s getting the wavy line for that reason.

Unless UA believes that the wave is their new fleet wide livery tweak?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 am

763
N643UA Polaris conversion test hop yesterday. Won’t be 50/50% in service much longer.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:56 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
The first UA 737 MAX has been painted!
https://twitter.com/airlinegeeks/status ... 72992?s=21

The question now is, is this a one off or is UA going to start painting planes this way. If they were planning to repaint the whole fleet, I'm not sure it's enough of a livery update. It's good looking though.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Without clicking the link

Image
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
tpaewr
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:21 pm

nikeson13 wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
The first UA 737 MAX has been painted!
https://twitter.com/airlinegeeks/status ... 72992?s=21

Spectacular. If the gold wave is gradually rolled out fleet-wide... :o



I agree, it is a great way to refresh the livery and it matches the subtle branding updates we have seen elsewhere such as airports, clubs, etc.
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 1554
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:24 pm

cosyr wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
The first UA 737 MAX has been painted!
https://twitter.com/airlinegeeks/status ... 72992?s=21

The question now is, is this a one off or is UA going to start painting planes this way. If they were planning to repaint the whole fleet, I'm not sure it's enough of a livery update. It's good looking though.


Good question. I'd venture a guess that since all the 787s have the wavy cheatline, all the Max's will, too.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
VC10er
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:22 am

tpaewr wrote:
nikeson13 wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:
The first UA 737 MAX has been painted!
https://twitter.com/airlinegeeks/status ... 72992?s=21

Spectacular. If the gold wave is gradually rolled out fleet-wide... :o



I agree, it is a great way to refresh the livery and it matches the subtle branding updates we have seen elsewhere such as airports, clubs, etc.


Can you point out what it matches or plays off of? Because the first thing I thought of was it didn’t match anything they were doing elsewhere- everything from Polaris to regular UA secondary design motifs are straight-every touch point has been straight lines, dashed patterns, squares, all except the curvature of the globe? The new lounges are very straight lined and angular and the gates and new bulkhead design, straight horizontal lines in the seats etc. I like much of what I see, but no place do I ever see wavy!

I personally don’t think this is enough of anything- I would hope it’s not costing them extra money to do this. Not while they could be spending more on their fliers.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:01 pm

VC10er wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
nikeson13 wrote:
Spectacular. If the gold wave is gradually rolled out fleet-wide... :o



I agree, it is a great way to refresh the livery and it matches the subtle branding updates we have seen elsewhere such as airports, clubs, etc.


Can you point out what it matches or plays off of? Because the first thing I thought of was it didn’t match anything they were doing elsewhere- everything from Polaris to regular UA secondary design motifs are straight-every touch point has been straight lines, dashed patterns, squares, all except the curvature of the globe? The new lounges are very straight lined and angular and the gates and new bulkhead design, straight horizontal lines in the seats etc. I like much of what I see, but no place do I ever see wavy!

I personally don’t think this is enough of anything- I would hope it’s not costing them extra money to do this. Not while they could be spending more on their fliers.


I agree 100%. It doesn't match anything, and it's going to look more awkward if a sizable fraction of the fleet will have a variation of the main livery.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
tpaewr
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:57 pm

VC10er wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
nikeson13 wrote:
Spectacular. If the gold wave is gradually rolled out fleet-wide... :o



I agree, it is a great way to refresh the livery and it matches the subtle branding updates we have seen elsewhere such as airports, clubs, etc.


Can you point out what it matches or plays off of? Because the first thing I thought of was it didn’t match anything they were doing elsewhere- everything from Polaris to regular UA secondary design motifs are straight-every touch point has been straight lines, dashed patterns, squares, all except the curvature of the globe? The new lounges are very straight lined and angular and the gates and new bulkhead design, straight horizontal lines in the seats etc. I like much of what I see, but no place do I ever see wavy!

I personally don’t think this is enough of anything- I would hope it’s not costing them extra money to do this. Not while they could be spending more on their fliers.



It reminded me of the curved line from globe that is turning up all over. From floors in the airport, walls in the Clubs, to the bulkheads. But maybe it is just me as the beholder.
 
VC10er
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:14 pm

I only see ONE curve among all straight lines, and that is the nod to the globe on the tail. Yes, that curve is indeed repeated over and over, ala: the Polaris bulkhead or the front of the new ticket and gate desks. But It's not a wavy line thing. I have always seen the view-screen from the Starship Enterprise when they are in orbit: a 1/4 globe. It's kind of how I had the idea for the Pepsi Concorde when the whole Pespi globe on the tail looked like a cheap PanAm.
I am not as excited about this wave as everyone else is. On the 787 I loved it as it highlighted new (new tech) lines of the aircraft itself: wings, nose and tail of the 787 (vs a 777 which has very sharp, crisp lines, same for the 767 but to a lesser degree). The 737-MAX doesn't have that curvy "new tech" thing the 787 and even the 748 have.
I dunno...for me as a UNITED heavy flier, I notice the "experiences" more than anything and I am very sensitive to changes to it- especially when something goes down in quality or removed. Even when UA changed the pen in the amenity kit from a nice reusable pen to a mini "one-time" use pen I got miffed. I am sure the nice pen was 5 cents each and the new one is 1.5 cents each (sure it's only a stupid pen and I have 100 of them at home already). Conversely when I see money being spent to make things better, I am proud of them, E.G; the white "Apple-like" monitors are beautiful, illy coffee is better, the new duvets yummy, and the new pjs are very, very comfy.
So, until I am not in an old CO seat for 12 hour flights next to a snoring Xerox sales guy and in a private all aisle access Polaris seat, until the Polaris lounges are open...I can't get excited about a wave on what is (to me) a small tweak on a very old livery (IMHO)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
FlightLevel360
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:18 pm

A picture of the B/E Aspire Economy seat:
https://twitter.com/wandrme/status/850398434154643458

Looks very similar to what Garuda Indonesia installed on their 737 MAX 8s. Image found here: https://milespointsandbeyond.id/garuda- ... my-class2/

Does anyone know if UA is getting larger seatback screens with these seats? Judging by the dimensions they should be able to fit the Panasonic 11-inch monitor. Let's hope they don't go with the smaller ones on the 777-300ER...
 
United1
Posts: 3453
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:09 pm

FlightLevel360 wrote:
A picture of the B/E Aspire Economy seat:
https://twitter.com/wandrme/status/850398434154643458

Looks very similar to what Garuda Indonesia installed on their 737 MAX 8s. Image found here: https://milespointsandbeyond.id/garuda- ... my-class2/

Does anyone know if UA is getting larger seatback screens with these seats? Judging by the dimensions they should be able to fit the Panasonic 11-inch monitor. Let's hope they don't go with the smaller ones on the 777-300ER...


That's actually two different seats...

The first two, with AVOD, are the B/E Aspire seats that are on the retrofitted 77Es and will be on the 787-10s.

The second two, with the tablet holder, are the B/E Meridian seats that are being fitted to the 737MAX (same as Garuda.)
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:39 pm

United1 wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:
A picture of the B/E Aspire Economy seat:
https://twitter.com/wandrme/status/850398434154643458

Looks very similar to what Garuda Indonesia installed on their 737 MAX 8s. Image found here: https://milespointsandbeyond.id/garuda- ... my-class2/

Does anyone know if UA is getting larger seatback screens with these seats? Judging by the dimensions they should be able to fit the Panasonic 11-inch monitor. Let's hope they don't go with the smaller ones on the 777-300ER...


That's actually two different seats...

The first two, with AVOD, are the B/E Aspire seats that are on the retrofitted 77Es and will be on the 787-10s.

The second two, with the tablet holder, are the B/E Meridian seats that are being fitted to the 737MAX (same as Garuda.)


Assume PTV's on theBE for 77E and 78J and no PTV on the 737Max?
 
United1
Posts: 3453
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:09 am

fun2fly wrote:
United1 wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:
A picture of the B/E Aspire Economy seat:
https://twitter.com/wandrme/status/850398434154643458

Looks very similar to what Garuda Indonesia installed on their 737 MAX 8s. Image found here: https://milespointsandbeyond.id/garuda- ... my-class2/

Does anyone know if UA is getting larger seatback screens with these seats? Judging by the dimensions they should be able to fit the Panasonic 11-inch monitor. Let's hope they don't go with the smaller ones on the 777-300ER...


That's actually two different seats...

The first two, with AVOD, are the B/E Aspire seats that are on the retrofitted 77Es and will be on the 787-10s.

The second two, with the tablet holder, are the B/E Meridian seats that are being fitted to the 737MAX (same as Garuda.)


Assume PTV's on theBE for 77E and 78J and no PTV on the 737Max?


Yes....:)
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
UA777FO
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:13 am

Rumor has it 20 A319’s from Easy Jet coming fall of 2019 plus an additional 7 coming from China Southern. Would be great but don’t understand why are not any more the 25 China southern birds this year. And those two 320’s have been in mod a long time.
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 2458
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:47 am

763 (2-Class):
N676UA entered VQQ maintenance 2802/Apr8
 
codc10
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:16 am

UA777FO wrote:
Rumor has it 20 A319’s from Easy Jet coming fall of 2019 plus an additional 7 coming from China Southern. Would be great but don’t understand why are not any more the 25 China southern birds this year. And those two 320’s have been in mod a long time.


If I had a dollar for every TK rumor I’ve heard about secondhand Airbii coming “imminently”, I think I could retire now!

Does EasyJet have any IAE A320? I don’t believe so...
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:15 am

73G:
N21723 now enroute to IAH from GUM for slimlines
N13750 entered MIA 2778/6Apr for slimlines

763:
N643UA was showing a departure to HNL, but it shows cancelled.
No 3 class 763s appear to be headed to HKG at this time.

772:
N773UA entered HKG 2833/28Feb, domestic unit
N785UA eited XMN 2774/9Apr, no Polaris
N788UA in HKG, probable XMN for maint or Polaris

789:
N48955 sked to exit PVG 858/9Apr
N45956 entered PVG 891/7Apr
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 am

UA777FO wrote:
Rumor has it 20 A319’s from Easy Jet coming fall of 2019...


Unlikely; wrong engines.
Possible. But unlikely.
I'd go so far as to say VERY unlikely.
Why would UA add a completely separate variant of the CFM for just 20 planes?
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:49 am

United1 wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
Assume PTV's on theBE for 77E and 78J and no PTV on the 737Max?
Yes....:)


That's too bad. I flew a DL739 this week and it was sweet having PTV's. I thought UA might change it's approach with the MAX.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:02 am

73G: N21723 entered HOU 2796/9Apr, Slimlines (GUM Unit)

752:
N19141 confirmed with scimitars. Entire 752 fleet complete (Of aircraft to get scimitars, only 739 N72405 is without)

763:
N659UA sked 2809/10Apr to HNL, expect HKG 4/11 for Polaris

764:
N59053 entered MCO 2797/6Apr

772:
N776UA sked to exit XMN 2797/11Apr
N788UA in HKG, psossibly headed to XMN?
N796UA entered XMN 2788/9Apr, should be for Polaris

77W:
N2846U sked first flight 837/11Apr

UAX
E45X:
N27190 is now flying CommutAir (24th in fleet)
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am

39M
N37502 Max#2 B1 9Apr.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:

77W:
N2846U sked first flight 837/11Apr

Apparently this aircraft was to op. UA58 SFOFRA 9Apr but shows cancelled due a one day work stoppage by some FRA workers. IIRC UA has cancelled three flights out of FRA for 10Apr. I presume quite a few airlines will be doing likewise.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
ua900
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:30 am

FlightLevel360 wrote:
A picture of the B/E Aspire Economy seat:
https://twitter.com/wandrme/status/850398434154643458

Looks very similar to what Garuda Indonesia installed on their 737 MAX 8s.

Except that UA 737s won't have screens, so even Indonesia has a better seat than America. I'd laugh hard if it weren't so sad. As a side notes, these seats *are* incredibly bland. Would it kill them to at least do an accent color?

VC10er wrote:
They must be cheaper than the Saks zippered kits, which are really nicely done. The tins are often dented and yes - I will now start leaving them on the ac. I hope they keep the padded eyeshades...losing those would be tragic!

Agreed on Saks, but their padded eyeshades reek of chemicals. I don't get the penny pinching lately and the continued bad sourcing.

LH First and even OS Business are way better when it comes to that, not to mention the shoe bag that OS business class kits come in. Way more useful for people who already have a carton of surplus kits for visitors. That shoe bag was probably cheaper than a UA tin, I don't think sustainable / smart has to be expensive because lots of things at LH and OS aren't. UA would be well advised to redo their strategic sourcing.
2017: ARN | CVG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | HAM | HKG | IAH | LAX | MCO | ORD | SAT | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH
 
UA777FO
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
UA777FO wrote:
Rumor has it 20 A319’s from Easy Jet coming fall of 2019...


Unlikely; wrong engines.
Possible. But unlikely.
I'd go so far as to say VERY unlikely.
Why would UA add a completely separate variant of the CFM for just 20 planes?

There was a memo from the Airbus fleet manager that stated we were getting them, but then again we heard that last year also. I guess we will wait and see, it’s not like we don’t have hundreds of 737’s flying around with CFM’s I am sure have 90% parts commonality.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:12 pm

763:
N659UA now ferrying LHR-EWR after cxld LHR-EWR yesterday, then to ferry EWR-HNL, then expected HNL-HKG for Polaris.
Why not just ferry it LHR-HKG non-stop and put the FAs on another LHR-EWR flight? Would save 8000 miles and two stops.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:18 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
763:
N659UA now ferrying LHR-EWR after cxld LHR-EWR yesterday, then to ferry EWR-HNL, then expected HNL-HKG for Polaris.
Why not just ferry it LHR-HKG non-stop and put the FAs on another LHR-EWR flight? Would save 8000 miles and two stops.

They need to prep the aircraft for the Mx work in HKG first (most likely in HNL). This can’t be done properly in LHR. This would include all contents of the galleys, passenger service items, seatback pockets, etc (basically everything not attached to the aircraft in some way)
Last edited by iahcsr on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 pm

iahcsr wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:

77W:
N2846U sked first flight 837/11Apr

Apparently this aircraft was to op. UA58 SFOFRA 9Apr but shows cancelled due a one day work stoppage by some FRA workers. IIRC UA has cancelled three flights out of FRA for 10Apr. I presume quite a few airlines will be doing likewise.

Now it’s planned to op UA58 SFOFRA today 10Apr. Place your bets...
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Sounds good.
If they had more time to figure it out, whatever needed to be removed could have been sent on other flights back to the mainland and whaterver may be needed in HKG could have been shipped there from the mainland. I'm sure easier said than done. The other issues would have been the pilots diverting from being delayed a day in returning to EWR anyway to needing a deadhead from HKG home.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
codc10
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:58 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
Sounds good.
If they had more time to figure it out, whatever needed to be removed could have been sent on other flights back to the mainland and whaterver may be needed in HKG could have been shipped there from the mainland. I'm sure easier said than done. The other issues would have been the pilots diverting from being delayed a day in returning to EWR anyway to needing a deadhead from HKG home.


Too many logistical challenges there... it was always in the cards for that airplane to fly back to EWR, so they did so, despite not carrying any revenue pax.
 
User avatar
Amwest2United
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:36 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:08 pm

iahcsr wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:

77W:
N2846U sked first flight 837/11Apr

Apparently this aircraft was to op. UA58 SFOFRA 9Apr but shows cancelled due a one day work stoppage by some FRA workers. IIRC UA has cancelled three flights out of FRA for 10Apr. I presume quite a few airlines will be doing likewise.

Now it’s planned to op UA58 SFOFRA today 10Apr. Place your bets...



It stayed on F58/10Apr, albeit delayed due to Maintenance, in the air on the way to FRA
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!
 
VC10er
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:07 am

ua900 wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:
A picture of the B/E Aspire Economy seat:
https://twitter.com/wandrme/status/850398434154643458

Looks very similar to what Garuda Indonesia installed on their 737 MAX 8s.

Except that UA 737s won't have screens, so even Indonesia has a better seat than America. I'd laugh hard if it weren't so sad. As a side notes, these seats *are* incredibly bland. Would it kill them to at least do an accent color?

VC10er wrote:
They must be cheaper than the Saks zippered kits, which are really nicely done. The tins are often dented and yes - I will now start leaving them on the ac. I hope they keep the padded eyeshades...losing those would be tragic!

Agreed on Saks, but their padded eyeshades reek of chemicals. I don't get the penny pinching lately and the continued bad sourcing.

LH First and even OS Business are way better when it comes to that, not to mention the shoe bag that OS business class kits come in. Way more useful for people who already have a carton of surplus kits for visitors. That shoe bag was probably cheaper than a UA tin, I don't think sustainable / smart has to be expensive because lots of things at LH and OS aren't. UA would be well advised to redo their strategic sourcing.


Funny how 2 people can experience the same thing 2 entirely different ways! I sent a letter to United about how much I love the padded eyeshades and could I buy some. I got a whole bunch now that will last me years at home. I think they are the best of any airline or eyeshades you can find in retail! I can’t sleep without them. I never noticed an odor from them?
They did remove the Lavender pillow spray from Cowshed, which I loved too (probably the only “dude” spraying Lavender all over Business!) but, UA sells large bottles of it in their online store. So I bought 3 bottles for home.

I’m sure for every finance person who tries to remove something there is another from marketing fighting tooth and nail to convince them that cuts are noticed and hurt the brand. Trust me; I’ve been in those rooms a 1000 times. There are many very passionate people at United who probably get overruled by a calculator!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:09 am

77W
N2747U B3 PDXPAE. Back from paint. I’m presuming standard livery. No wavy gold.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
audidudi
Posts: 1409
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:50 am

calpsafltskeds wrote:
763:
N659UA now ferrying LHR-EWR after cxld LHR-EWR yesterday, then to ferry EWR-HNL, then expected HNL-HKG for Polaris.
Why not just ferry it LHR-HKG non-stop and put the FAs on another LHR-EWR flight? Would save 8000 miles and two stops.

It looks like N659UA can't get a break....the EWR>HNL ferry flight was cancelled!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N659UA
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:05 am

UA777FO wrote:
There was a memo from the Airbus fleet manager that stated we were getting them, but then again we heard that last year also. I guess we will wait and see, it’s not like we don’t have hundreds of 737’s flying around with CFM’s I am sure have 90% parts commonality.


I'm a CFM56 mechanic.
They're not that similar.
The cores themselves are indeed very similar, but beyond that, not as much. They don't even have the same number of booster stages. Different thrust reversers entirely, different gearboxes, Different accessories, and the list goes on.
And even "similar" isn't especially useful; when it comes down to it, a different part number is a different part number. Sure, you've got existing business relationships with existing suppliers that you can leverage. But now you've got to stock another set of engine specific parts. Which are only applicable to 20 aircraft, in this hypothetical rumor.
And while, yeah, you've got hundreds of 737s with CFMs flying, you've also got hundreds of A32X's with IAE's flying, which are also perfectly good engines.
So, I'll believe your rumor when I see easyJet land in Houston.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3383
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:33 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
UA777FO wrote:
There was a memo from the Airbus fleet manager that stated we were getting them, but then again we heard that last year also. I guess we will wait and see, it’s not like we don’t have hundreds of 737’s flying around with CFM’s I am sure have 90% parts commonality.


I'm a CFM56 mechanic.
They're not that similar.
The cores themselves are indeed very similar, but beyond that, not as much. They don't even have the same number of booster stages. Different thrust reversers entirely, different gearboxes, Different accessories, and the list goes on.
And even "similar" isn't especially useful; when it comes down to it, a different part number is a different part number. Sure, you've got existing business relationships with existing suppliers that you can leverage. But now you've got to stock another set of engine specific parts. Which are only applicable to 20 aircraft, in this hypothetical rumor.
And while, yeah, you've got hundreds of 737s with CFMs flying, you've also got hundreds of A32X's with IAE's flying, which are also perfectly good engines.
So, I'll believe your rumor when I see easyJet land in Houston.


I guess it depends on the price. If it's the right price, with favorable terms for engine parts - maybe from easyJet's spares, they might be interested.

I agree with you that it is unlikely.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:12 pm

772:
N786UA sked to exit XMN 2804/12Apr with Polaris
N787UA entered XMN 2791/9Apr for Polaris, Joins N788UA and N796UA in XMN for Polaris
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:36 pm

audidudi wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:
763:
N659UA now ferrying LHR-EWR after cxld LHR-EWR yesterday, then to ferry EWR-HNL, then expected HNL-HKG for Polaris.
Why not just ferry it LHR-HKG non-stop and put the FAs on another LHR-EWR flight? Would save 8000 miles and two stops.

It looks like N659UA can't get a break....the EWR>HNL ferry flight was cancelled!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N659UA

It seems rather odd... cancel EWRHNLHKG due MX, now today ferry it EWRORD to op ORDLHR. It still needs to go to HKG... :scratchchin:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Looks like N647UA is stuck in ORD and had to be covered.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2528
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 pm

N786UA now enroute SFO, no revenue flights shown.

Question on Polaris 772 reconfiguration. Will the crew rest situation be standardized and what is that configuration?
N786UA did not have crew rest modules when it entered XMN.
Will the ship numbers change to reflect anything like configuration or crew rest modules?
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
N786UA now enroute SFO, no revenue flights shown.

Question on Polaris 772 reconfiguration. Will the crew rest situation be standardized and what is that configuration?
N786UA did not have crew rest modules when it entered XMN.
Will the ship numbers change to reflect anything like configuration or crew rest modules?

UA ceased using the second Ship digit for configuration ID after the merger. Number doesn’t change anymore (unless I missed something). As for crew rest.. the lav at 3R has been moved... and that’s where the stair/ladder is located on the sCO 77s. Could be coincidence ... or not :scratchchin:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
codc10
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
UA777FO wrote:
There was a memo from the Airbus fleet manager that stated we were getting them, but then again we heard that last year also. I guess we will wait and see, it’s not like we don’t have hundreds of 737’s flying around with CFM’s I am sure have 90% parts commonality.


I'm a CFM56 mechanic.
They're not that similar.
The cores themselves are indeed very similar, but beyond that, not as much. They don't even have the same number of booster stages. Different thrust reversers entirely, different gearboxes, Different accessories, and the list goes on.
And even "similar" isn't especially useful; when it comes down to it, a different part number is a different part number. Sure, you've got existing business relationships with existing suppliers that you can leverage. But now you've got to stock another set of engine specific parts. Which are only applicable to 20 aircraft, in this hypothetical rumor.
And while, yeah, you've got hundreds of 737s with CFMs flying, you've also got hundreds of A32X's with IAE's flying, which are also perfectly good engines.
So, I'll believe your rumor when I see easyJet land in Houston.


I guess it depends on the price. If it's the right price, with favorable terms for engine parts - maybe from easyJet's spares, they might be interested.

I agree with you that it is unlikely.



Easyjet 319s are confirmed, with CFM motors. Plan is to build up to a fleet with “critical mass” (more than what’s going to be ordered initially) to make the new engines cost-effective. Well-placed source; you can book it.
 
VC10er
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:11 am

codc10 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

I'm a CFM56 mechanic.
They're not that similar.
The cores themselves are indeed very similar, but beyond that, not as much. They don't even have the same number of booster stages. Different thrust reversers entirely, different gearboxes, Different accessories, and the list goes on.
And even "similar" isn't especially useful; when it comes down to it, a different part number is a different part number. Sure, you've got existing business relationships with existing suppliers that you can leverage. But now you've got to stock another set of engine specific parts. Which are only applicable to 20 aircraft, in this hypothetical rumor.
And while, yeah, you've got hundreds of 737s with CFMs flying, you've also got hundreds of A32X's with IAE's flying, which are also perfectly good engines.
So, I'll believe your rumor when I see easyJet land in Houston.


I guess it depends on the price. If it's the right price, with favorable terms for engine parts - maybe from easyJet's spares, they might be interested.

I agree with you that it is unlikely.



Easyjet 319s are confirmed, with CFM motors. Plan is to build up to a fleet with “critical mass” (more than what’s going to be ordered initially) to make the new engines cost-effective. Well-placed source; you can book it.

Apologies if it’s mentioned and I missed it, but how many 319’s more for UA to get to “critical mass?” Thanks
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos