User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue May 29, 2018 3:59 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
39M:
N37506 sked delivery flight 2701/30May into SEA

763:
N651UA shows an uncoming test hop on 6/3 per FlightAware

772:
N222UA entered XMN 2795/29May, Polaris???

39M
N47505 now shows delivery UA 2702 BFIHOU 31May (per FlightAware).. if so this will be the last of the first six deliveries. The seventh is still about 150-ish frames down the line. LN7173 to be specific.

There is to be a flight out of IAH on 4Jun to test the Max WiFi system; 90 UA IAH employees will be picked by random draw to go on this flight with their PEDs... Hopefully I will be one of the lucky few... but likely not so much. :scratchchin:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
Boeing12345
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:13 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue May 29, 2018 7:05 pm

iahcsr wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:
39M:
N37506 sked delivery flight 2701/30May into SEA

763:
N651UA shows an uncoming test hop on 6/3 per FlightAware

772:
N222UA entered XMN 2795/29May, Polaris???

39M
N47505 now shows delivery UA 2702 BFIHOU 31May (per FlightAware).. if so this will be the last of the first six deliveries. The seventh is still about 150-ish frames down the line. LN7173 to be specific.

There is to be a flight out of IAH on 4Jun to test the Max WiFi system; 90 UA IAH employees will be picked by random draw to go on this flight with their PEDs... Hopefully I will be one of the lucky few... but likely not so much. :scratchchin:



7505 is the last of first 6 to deliver, remember that 7506 had engines before 7505. Believe 7506 delivers on 30th and 7505 on 31st.
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue May 29, 2018 7:29 pm

VC10er wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
VC10er wrote:

I disagree. If I was Oscar and I found out someone spent millions of dollars covering wallpaper in good shape (even if dated looking to many- in a lav of a sub fleet where not many would even notice or care) instead of spending it by improving many other things that could truly improve or positively impact our passengers...I’d fire them immediately.
And NOBODY believes more in image or details than I do. Heck, UA just took the anti-slip treads off the Polaris socks, which probably saved them 1 cent per passenger? Or give passengers whole cashews! But spend millions covering walls in good shape because of some innocuous, barely noticeable design? I’ve seen that design for 30 years and unless the calking is falling off the walls and mirrors or the walls are dirty, scuffed, it’s fine. In fact my girlfriend from central New Jersey in 1980 would probably LOVE it!


That's ridiculous. In the big scheme of things, they are minimal cost. Moreover, they support (or tarnish) the brand image. Do you want your customers to think you have newer/updated aircraft or an old rundown fleet. Those details can make the difference.

If we follow your logic, there's no need to update, paint, replace wallcovering, outdated seating, etc in gate holdrooms. Might as well leave the flickering fluorescent bulbs on the 757s when you refurbish them as well. Should have kept the old carpeted bulkhead walls. Just leave everything exactly the way that it is as long as it is functional. Guessing that's not the brand image you want associated with an airline that is trying (and needs) to attract a revenue premium


You did NOT follow my logic one iota. You blew ONE small thing WAY out of proportion.
I think there is NOTHING more important than brand image delivered via crisp clean modern looking aircraft and great hard products such as seats. Also lounges, gate areas and every consumer touch point. AND one day a fresh new livery when United has earned the right to scream to the world that it’s a new airline with a new brand promise it can deliver on. Branding is the business I’m in and I was the Executive Creative Director of Landor for 24 years and have witnessed this from behind the scenes for all those years.. I’m talking about priorities only. Yes, agreed, the 752 interiors, especially in J is not worth $6500 to O Porto in their current condition. They need to come before Airbus lavatory walls. Especially if the rest of the Airbus cabins look great.
The only other thing that is equally (if not more important that the above) is stellar customer service.
My ONE single point was: if the lavatory with the dated floral pattern was in very good shape, and only to be found on some of the Airbus fleet, that given how unimportant that particular element is - the money could be better spent other places, Eg; by changing old bulkheads that pax stare at for hours, (a good example of something bad was opting NOT to install the new beautiful Polaris bulkheads on the 772). NOT putting the new domestic First seat on all the other 737s (not just the 737-700s). Stop reducing the quality and contents of the Polaris amenity kit. Offer PJs on all international overnight Polaris flights like their parters (LH) etc.
Now, if the lav looks shabby, then absolutely fix it.
I could spend a long time explaining the implementation of an airline branding overhaul and I swear that the smart folks in charge of the overhaul would take the budgets they have (which are always less than hoped) and spend the money wisely on the parts that will have the greatest impact first.
United has created a lot of beautifully designed elements but everyone is saying it’s taking too long.
Frankly I don’t know how much it would cost to renovate all the lavs with the old floral design- my assumption is that nothing is cheap in the aviation business. But if it’s actually cheap and easy to do: then by all means they should change it.
But if it’s 1 million bucks to change them all, I’d spend that million on as many fresh new bulkheads as possible vs looking at the plain blue unbranded ones.


Interestingly enough, I just flew nose 4899 (A319) and it looks like they put new covering on the lav walls and vanity front. It looked much brighter, newer, and gave me the perception that it was cleaner. So I guess it must be in the plans. Hope no one gets "fire(d) immediately." :-)
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue May 29, 2018 7:31 pm

gwrudolph wrote:
VC10er wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:

That's ridiculous. In the big scheme of things, they are minimal cost. Moreover, they support (or tarnish) the brand image. Do you want your customers to think you have newer/updated aircraft or an old rundown fleet. Those details can make the difference.

If we follow your logic, there's no need to update, paint, replace wallcovering, outdated seating, etc in gate holdrooms. Might as well leave the flickering fluorescent bulbs on the 757s when you refurbish them as well. Should have kept the old carpeted bulkhead walls. Just leave everything exactly the way that it is as long as it is functional. Guessing that's not the brand image you want associated with an airline that is trying (and needs) to attract a revenue premium


You did NOT follow my logic one iota. You blew ONE small thing WAY out of proportion.
I think there is NOTHING more important than brand image delivered via crisp clean modern looking aircraft and great hard products such as seats. Also lounges, gate areas and every consumer touch point. AND one day a fresh new livery when United has earned the right to scream to the world that it’s a new airline with a new brand promise it can deliver on. Branding is the business I’m in and I was the Executive Creative Director of Landor for 24 years and have witnessed this from behind the scenes for all those years.. I’m talking about priorities only. Yes, agreed, the 752 interiors, especially in J is not worth $6500 to O Porto in their current condition. They need to come before Airbus lavatory walls. Especially if the rest of the Airbus cabins look great.
The only other thing that is equally (if not more important that the above) is stellar customer service.
My ONE single point was: if the lavatory with the dated floral pattern was in very good shape, and only to be found on some of the Airbus fleet, that given how unimportant that particular element is - the money could be better spent other places, Eg; by changing old bulkheads that pax stare at for hours, (a good example of something bad was opting NOT to install the new beautiful Polaris bulkheads on the 772). NOT putting the new domestic First seat on all the other 737s (not just the 737-700s). Stop reducing the quality and contents of the Polaris amenity kit. Offer PJs on all international overnight Polaris flights like their parters (LH) etc.
Now, if the lav looks shabby, then absolutely fix it.
I could spend a long time explaining the implementation of an airline branding overhaul and I swear that the smart folks in charge of the overhaul would take the budgets they have (which are always less than hoped) and spend the money wisely on the parts that will have the greatest impact first.
United has created a lot of beautifully designed elements but everyone is saying it’s taking too long.
Frankly I don’t know how much it would cost to renovate all the lavs with the old floral design- my assumption is that nothing is cheap in the aviation business. But if it’s actually cheap and easy to do: then by all means they should change it.
But if it’s 1 million bucks to change them all, I’d spend that million on as many fresh new bulkheads as possible vs looking at the plain blue unbranded ones.


Interestingly enough, I just flew nose 4899 (A319) and it looks like they put new covering on the lav walls and vanity front. It looked much brighter, newer, and gave me the perception that it was cleaner. So I guess it must be in the plans. Hope no one gets "fire(d) immediately." :-)

All 4800 series aircraft are exCZ and as such had completely new interiors installed. Hopefully all the others will get likewise.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm

iahcsr wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
VC10er wrote:

You did NOT follow my logic one iota. You blew ONE small thing WAY out of proportion.
I think there is NOTHING more important than brand image delivered via crisp clean modern looking aircraft and great hard products such as seats. Also lounges, gate areas and every consumer touch point. AND one day a fresh new livery when United has earned the right to scream to the world that it’s a new airline with a new brand promise it can deliver on. Branding is the business I’m in and I was the Executive Creative Director of Landor for 24 years and have witnessed this from behind the scenes for all those years.. I’m talking about priorities only. Yes, agreed, the 752 interiors, especially in J is not worth $6500 to O Porto in their current condition. They need to come before Airbus lavatory walls. Especially if the rest of the Airbus cabins look great.
The only other thing that is equally (if not more important that the above) is stellar customer service.
My ONE single point was: if the lavatory with the dated floral pattern was in very good shape, and only to be found on some of the Airbus fleet, that given how unimportant that particular element is - the money could be better spent other places, Eg; by changing old bulkheads that pax stare at for hours, (a good example of something bad was opting NOT to install the new beautiful Polaris bulkheads on the 772). NOT putting the new domestic First seat on all the other 737s (not just the 737-700s). Stop reducing the quality and contents of the Polaris amenity kit. Offer PJs on all international overnight Polaris flights like their parters (LH) etc.
Now, if the lav looks shabby, then absolutely fix it.
I could spend a long time explaining the implementation of an airline branding overhaul and I swear that the smart folks in charge of the overhaul would take the budgets they have (which are always less than hoped) and spend the money wisely on the parts that will have the greatest impact first.
United has created a lot of beautifully designed elements but everyone is saying it’s taking too long.
Frankly I don’t know how much it would cost to renovate all the lavs with the old floral design- my assumption is that nothing is cheap in the aviation business. But if it’s actually cheap and easy to do: then by all means they should change it.
But if it’s 1 million bucks to change them all, I’d spend that million on as many fresh new bulkheads as possible vs looking at the plain blue unbranded ones.


Interestingly enough, I just flew nose 4899 (A319) and it looks like they put new covering on the lav walls and vanity front. It looked much brighter, newer, and gave me the perception that it was cleaner. So I guess it must be in the plans. Hope no one gets "fire(d) immediately." :-)

All 4800 series aircraft are exCZ and as such had completely new interiors installed. Hopefully all the others will get likewise.


Ah that makes sense. Hopefully so. The aircraft looks very nice!
 
glbltrvlr
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue May 29, 2018 10:24 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
763:
N651UA shows an uncoming test hop on 6/3 per FlightAware


How many 763 Polaris conversions remain? Just booked 4 J seats to the UK at the end of August out of ORD using the three class seat map over and non-Polaris two class back. It seems ORD flights will be the last to get the Polaris mod and I'm wondering what the odds are they will change before we leave.
 
hkcanadaexpat
Posts: 2594
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue May 29, 2018 10:40 pm

glbltrvlr wrote:
How many 763 Polaris conversions remain?

2 in progress. 5 more after that. I believe they will be taking a break in conversions during the busy summer schedule.
 
glbltrvlr
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue May 29, 2018 10:48 pm

hkcanadaexpat wrote:
glbltrvlr wrote:
How many 763 Polaris conversions remain?

2 in progress. 5 more after that. I believe they will be taking a break in conversions during the busy summer schedule.


Sigh. Wouldn't take those odds in Vegas. Guess we'll just have to make do with the lounge.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed May 30, 2018 2:09 pm

There are currently five 3 class 763s operating mostly on ORD-LHR and some EWR-LHR.
If we believe the 2 in Polaris mod will be completed in June and just 1 more goes into Mod during the summer, then I would guess the four remaining 3 class units will be roped into ORD-LHR, assuming ORD-LHR has the lowest total demand of current 763 routes.

But, if Summer loads on ORD-LHR increase, UA could place Polaris on ORD-LHR and EWR-LHR flights and selectively route the shrinking 3 class units where loads are lowest. This strategy would lead to oversales as the 3 class units have 31 fewer seats than the Polaris or 2 class units.

A better strategy would be to identify the lowest loads on the flying of four 763s and use the four 3 class units on those flights. These flights may be ORD-LHR.

764:
N66056 entered MCO 2781/29May
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 pm

39M
N37506 delivery UA2689 BFISEA
N47505 went sight-C1-ing today.
Ships 7501-3 still all at SKF.
Ship 7504 sitting at IAH since 27th.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
VC10er
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Quick question about maintenance:
I’m sitting here at a Denver airport United Club at the window. There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.
Is one new and one old? Is one just been through a maintenance check and the other needing to go?
I must say, sure is pretty when it’s shiny chrome!!!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:53 am

739:
N72405 exited MIA 2694/31May with scimitar winglets.
This completes split scimitar retrofits on all 329 UA 737NG aircraft.
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:29 am

VC10er wrote:
Quick question about maintenance:
I’m sitting here at a Denver airport United Club at the window. There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.
Is one new and one old? Is one just been through a maintenance check and the other needing to go?
I must say, sure is pretty when it’s shiny chrome!!!


Generally, it just means that one has been polished recently and the other hasn't.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:30 am

Whoever washed the dull one must have not used warm water and Dawn.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
jetero
Posts: 3272
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:59 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Quick question about maintenance:
I’m sitting here at a Denver airport United Club at the window. There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.
Is one new and one old? Is one just been through a maintenance check and the other needing to go?
I must say, sure is pretty when it’s shiny chrome!!!


Generally, it just means that one has been polished recently and the other hasn't.


Who woulda thunk?!
 
codc10
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:45 pm

VC10er wrote:
Quick question about maintenance:
I’m sitting here at a Denver airport United Club at the window. There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.
Is one new and one old? Is one just been through a maintenance check and the other needing to go?
I must say, sure is pretty when it’s shiny chrome!!!


I'm pretty sure it's a different nose cowl/nacelle for improved laminar flow. Later 737 deliveries have the matte finish while you'll see earlier 737s clearly sporting a chrome look, even if not recently polished.
 
jetero
Posts: 3272
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:56 pm

codc10 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Quick question about maintenance:
I’m sitting here at a Denver airport United Club at the window. There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.
Is one new and one old? Is one just been through a maintenance check and the other needing to go?
I must say, sure is pretty when it’s shiny chrome!!!


I'm pretty sure it's a different nose cowl/nacelle for improved laminar flow. Later 737 deliveries have the matte finish while you'll see earlier 737s clearly sporting a chrome look, even if not recently polished.


In that case, a tip of the cap to VC10ER.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:27 am

763:
N651UA sked test hop HKG 2694/3Jun

764:
N66056 exited MCO 2780/31May
N77066 exited HKG 2770/1Jun with Y crew mod
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
VC10er
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:56 am

codc10 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Quick question about maintenance:
I’m sitting here at a Denver airport United Club at the window. There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.
Is one new and one old? Is one just been through a maintenance check and the other needing to go?
I must say, sure is pretty when it’s shiny chrome!!!


I'm pretty sure it's a different nose cowl/nacelle for improved laminar flow. Later 737 deliveries have the matte finish while you'll see earlier 737s clearly sporting a chrome look, even if not recently polished.


Wow, I would have thought one was just way overdue for a polishing! Interesting that it would make such a difference. I used to always note that VARIG MD-11s always had very shiny chrome around the engines, even towards the very end and think “gosh, even flat broke they are still polishing the engines?”- ok, there I was being stupid!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
Schweigend
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:47 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 am

VC10er wrote:
There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.


FlyHossD wrote:
Generally, it just means that one has been polished recently and the other hasn't.


codc10 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a different nose cowl/nacelle for improved laminar flow. Later 737 deliveries have the matte finish while you'll see earlier 737s clearly sporting a chrome look, even if not recently polished.


I used to work at a Heavy MX Base for CO, and I can tell you that the grey matte-finish engine nose cowl is what was and continues to be delivered new from Boeing.

New planes arrive that way, and their inlet cowls are very slick to the touch.

However, time in use causes the nose cowl finish to abrade, especially the leading edge.

When the cowl goes through an overhaul, there is a chromium deposition process that builds up what has been lost and makes it very shiny -- it is not a burnishing of the original surface, which would remove more material, but rather a replacement of lost material with a hard chromium coating, subsequently polished.

This may merely be a choice by United / Continental on how to have these 737 parts overhauled -- other airlines may do something else entirely.

So -- you can tell that an engine nose cowl on a 737 is older by its shiny chrome finish -- and know that it has been through an overhaul.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:03 pm

A320
N4901U exCZ test hopping LCQLCQ (finally) 2Jun
39M
N37504 UA2744 IAHSKF 2Jun for WiFi.
N47505 was to deliver 31May but still at BFI
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
ual777
Posts: 1609
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:18 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Schweigend wrote:
VC10er wrote:
There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.


FlyHossD wrote:
Generally, it just means that one has been polished recently and the other hasn't.


codc10 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a different nose cowl/nacelle for improved laminar flow. Later 737 deliveries have the matte finish while you'll see earlier 737s clearly sporting a chrome look, even if not recently polished.


I used to work at a Heavy MX Base for CO, and I can tell you that the grey matte-finish engine nose cowl is what was and continues to be delivered new from Boeing.

New planes arrive that way, and their inlet cowls are very slick to the touch.

However, time in use causes the nose cowl finish to abrade, especially the leading edge.

When the cowl goes through an overhaul, there is a chromium deposition process that builds up what has been lost and makes it very shiny -- it is not a burnishing of the original surface, which would remove more material, but rather a replacement of lost material with a hard chromium coating, subsequently polished.

This may merely be a choice by United / Continental on how to have these 737 parts overhauled -- other airlines may do something else entirely.

So -- you can tell that an engine nose cowl on a 737 is older by its shiny chrome finish -- and know that it has been through an overhaul.


interestingly, there is an -800 floating around with one of each
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3039
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:12 pm

VC10er wrote:
Quick question about maintenance:
I’m sitting here at a Denver airport United Club at the window. There are 2 737-800/900 one has very shiny chrome around the opening of the engine cowl like it was just polished and burnished, the other is dead flat grey.
Is one new and one old? Is one just been through a maintenance check and the other needing to go?
I must say, sure is pretty when it’s shiny chrome!!!


New ones come in the flat finish. It is a 'clad aluminum' finish that actually prevents corrosion.
Once that has damaged by scratches or the clad finish is compromised, they get polished with a aluminum polishing paste and polishing wheel which gives the inlet cowl lip that polished aluminum look, the 'chrome look' you refer to. The polished aluminum look also prevents corrosion.......

Image

Image
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
VC10er
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:16 am

Wow, this is why I love aviation and why my friends think I’m such a geek (or a bore) - while I knew there were reasons behind why there are 2 different finishes, I didn’t realize that there was this much to it. Thanks everyone for all the details!
I’ll be sure to torture my travel mates next time we fly together!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
codc10
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:31 am

Very cool, thanks all for the clarification!
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:43 pm

39M:
N67501 sked ferry SKF-IAH 2755/3Jun
N47505 sked delivery flight 2704/4Jun BFI-HOU

763:
N651UA sked to exit HKG 2769/4Jun in Polaris configuration
do not see a replacement into mod scheduled at this time
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:43 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
39M:
N67501 sked ferry SKF-IAH 2755/3Jun
N47505 sked delivery flight 2704/4Jun BFI-HOU

763:
N651UA sked to exit HKG 2769/4Jun in Polaris configuration
do not see a replacement into mod scheduled at this time

39M
N67591 UA2750 4Jun IAHIAH 90-ish UA employees testing new WiFi system with PEDs. Testing time could be 2-6 hours.. :bouncy: (If it lasts 6 hours I’m happy I didn’t get picked.)
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:01 pm

iahcsr wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:
39M:
N67501 sked ferry SKF-IAH 2755/3Jun
N47505 sked delivery flight 2704/4Jun BFI-HOU

763:
N651UA sked to exit HKG 2769/4Jun in Polaris configuration
do not see a replacement into mod scheduled at this time

39M
N67591 UA2750 4Jun IAHIAH 90-ish UA employees testing new WiFi system with PEDs. Testing time could be 2-6 hours.. :bouncy: (If it lasts 6 hours I’m happy I didn’t get picked.)

I know that the PED information is not sent from towers/satellites, but rather stored on a hard drive on the plane, but does the internet that is transmitted to the plane use the same Wi-Fi as the PED to transmit to Laptops/Cell phones? In other words, can people using other websites bog down transmition of the PED, or visa versa?
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:47 pm

cosyr wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
calpsafltskeds wrote:
39M:
N67501 sked ferry SKF-IAH 2755/3Jun
N47505 sked delivery flight 2704/4Jun BFI-HOU

763:
N651UA sked to exit HKG 2769/4Jun in Polaris configuration
do not see a replacement into mod scheduled at this time

39M
N67591 UA2750 4Jun IAHIAH 90-ish UA employees testing new WiFi system with PEDs. Testing time could be 2-6 hours.. :bouncy: (If it lasts 6 hours I’m happy I didn’t get picked.)

I know that the PED information is not sent from towers/satellites, but rather stored on a hard drive on the plane, but does the internet that is transmitted to the plane use the same Wi-Fi as the PED to transmit to Laptops/Cell phones? In other words, can people using other websites bog down transmition of the PED, or visa versa?

That’s a very good Q. Hope someone knowledgeable will answer :scratchchin:
N67591 flight lasted only about 2 hrs.. Presumably all went well.
N47505 delivery actually taking place this time UA2704 BFIHOU.
All six now delivered, but only three are service ready ATM.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
DC8FanJet
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:16 pm

iahcsr wrote:
cosyr wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
39M
N67591 UA2750 4Jun IAHIAH 90-ish UA employees testing new WiFi system with PEDs. Testing time could be 2-6 hours.. :bouncy: (If it lasts 6 hours I’m happy I didn’t get picked.)

I know that the PED information is not sent from towers/satellites, but rather stored on a hard drive on the plane, but does the internet that is transmitted to the plane use the same Wi-Fi as the PED to transmit to Laptops/Cell phones? In other words, can people using other websites bog down transmition of the PED, or visa versa?

That’s a very good Q. Hope someone knowledgeable will answer :scratchchin:
N67591 flight lasted only about 2 hrs.. Presumably all went well.
N47505 delivery actually taking place this time UA2704 BFIHOU.
All six now delivered, but only three are service ready ATM.


Is it N67501 or N67591?
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 am

DC8FanJet wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
cosyr wrote:
I know that the PED information is not sent from towers/satellites, but rather stored on a hard drive on the plane, but does the internet that is transmitted to the plane use the same Wi-Fi as the PED to transmit to Laptops/Cell phones? In other words, can people using other websites bog down transmition of the PED, or visa versa?

That’s a very good Q. Hope someone knowledgeable will answer :scratchchin:
N67591 flight lasted only about 2 hrs.. Presumably all went well.
N47505 delivery actually taking place this time UA2704 BFIHOU.
All six now delivered, but only three are service ready ATM.


Is it N67501 or N67591?

Oops... it’s N67501... me and my fat thumbs... :roll:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 pm

OK at this point per United.com the following scheduled flights are showing 39M aircraft on 6/7/18 (first day of sked service)
N67501: 1644 IAH-MCO, doesn't show on return MCO-IAH flight 991
N37502: Do not see a flight sked for this aircraft
N27503: 2101 IAH-AUS, 1291 AUS-IAH, 1291 IAH-ANC, 2215 ANC-IAH 

​​​​​​​These flights doesn't have an aircraft assigned
686 IAH-MCO, 1788 MCO-IAH, 991 MCO-IAH-SAN
1285 IAH-FLL, 388 FLL-IAH
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 2052
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:13 am

Looks like MAX 9 service begins tomorrow on UA 686 IAH-MCO, N67501 will be doing the honors.

N27503 looks like the only other MAX 9 operating tomorrow and it begins on UA1759, IAH-AUS. It will also fly to Anchorage from Houston later in the day as UA1291.
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:44 pm

39M:
Looks like N37502 not ready for service, so 3501 and 3503 will start service 6/7

753:
N75854 sked to exit RFD 2749/6Jun with slimlines. 1st CO build 753 to get slimlines and I thought DTV was to be removed - still showing DTV on amenities. Anyone have clarification?
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 pm

calpsafltskeds wrote:
39M:
Looks like N37502 not ready for service, so 3501 and 3503 will start service 6/7

Somewhere up this thread I read that 7502 went to SKF before all the induction work was completed. 7504 will likely be the third up to bat.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:50 pm

39M:
Is something up with 3502? It would seems 3504 would need up to another 10 days in SKF
N67501 SKF 18 days (5/16 to 6/3)
N37502 SKF 28 days and counting (5/9 - ?)
N27503 SKF 14 days (5/23 - sked exit 6/6)
N37504 SKF 4 days and counting (6/2 after several days of proving runs including HNL)
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
Okcflyer
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:34 am

I certainly hope she doesn’t go tech up in ANC ... that’ll be a tall challenge for someone. I suppose there’s strong confidence in the type / frames already to take that risk.

On that note, does a tech, mechanic or engineer fly on these initial routings to help resolve issues if something pops up or are the bases adequately trained, stocked (if needed?), and fully ready now?
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5301
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:33 am

Okcflyer wrote:
I certainly hope she doesn’t go tech up in ANC ... that’ll be a tall challenge for someone. I suppose there’s strong confidence in the type / frames already to take that risk.

On that note, does a tech, mechanic or engineer fly on these initial routings to help resolve issues if something pops up or are the bases adequately trained, stocked (if needed?), and fully ready now?


Greetings from ANC.
I'm sure the contract maintenance provider here (whom I do NOT work for) has given their mechanics a "differences" course for the Max, and are ready to handle it with the same level of... timeliness... that they handle the rest of United's maintenance problems.
That same provider does the vast majority of line maintenance on this airfield, though, so it's not like United's planes are at any advantage or disadvantage.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:46 am

Okcflyer wrote:
I certainly hope she doesn’t go tech up in ANC ... that’ll be a tall challenge for someone. I suppose there’s strong confidence in the type / frames already to take that risk.

On that note, does a tech, mechanic or engineer fly on these initial routings to help resolve issues if something pops up or are the bases adequately trained, stocked (if needed?), and fully ready now?

What might be more of a minor concern is 7501 is scheduled for five legs on day one :IAH MCO IAH FLL IAH SAN. :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :bigthumbsup: all goes well.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
jayunited
Posts: 1545
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:25 pm

iahcsr wrote:
What might be more of a minor concern is 7501 is scheduled for five legs on day one :IAH MCO IAH FLL IAH SAN. :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :bigthumbsup: all goes well.


Here is the current routing N67501

UA686-07 IAH (7:35) MCO (11:00)
UA1788-07 MCO (12:00) IAH (13:16)
UA1285-07 IAH (14:20) FLL (17:52)
UA388-07 FLL (18:55) IAH (20:30)
UA991-07 IAH (22:00) SAN (23:02)
UA2094-08 SAN (7:50) IAH (13:03)
UA1291-08 IAH (14:20) ANC (18:38)

The 5 legs scheduled for today June 7 is normal for many 737's, either the aircraft is ready or it isn't there are a few 739Ms that are not ready for regularly schedule service. But I think UA is correct by saying welcome to the fleet N67501 now get to work, 5 flights in one day, I think the new kid on the block can handle it.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4429
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:49 pm

jayunited wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
What might be more of a minor concern is 7501 is scheduled for five legs on day one :IAH MCO IAH FLL IAH SAN. :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :bigthumbsup: all goes well.


Here is the current routing N67501

UA686-07 IAH (7:35) MCO (11:00)
UA1788-07 MCO (12:00) IAH (13:16)
UA1285-07 IAH (14:20) FLL (17:52)
UA388-07 FLL (18:55) IAH (20:30)
UA991-07 IAH (22:00) SAN (23:02)
UA2094-08 SAN (7:50) IAH (13:03)
UA1291-08 IAH (14:20) ANC (18:38)

The 5 legs scheduled for today June 7 is normal for many 737's, either the aircraft is ready or it isn't there are a few 739Ms that are not ready for regularly schedule service. But I think UA is correct by saying welcome to the fleet N67501 now get to work, 5 flights in one day, I think the new kid on the block can handle it.

I wholeheartedly agree... It’s just given UA’s luck lately staying out of negative media ... :scratchchin: :banghead: Sending lots of positive vibes :bouncy:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 pm

39M:
N67501 airbourne flight 686/7Jun IAH-MCO, full flight.
N27503 sked 1759/7Jun 1025 IAH-AUS gate C2
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:15 am

Looks like N647UA HKG entry delayed as N651UA HKG exit cancelled
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
User avatar
calpsafltskeds
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:03 pm

39M:
N37502 sked to exit SKF 2693/8Jun, first rev flight 1759/9Jun
This will place first 3 39Ms in scheduled service
N37506 sked to exit SEA Induction 2754/8Jun to SKF for WiFi
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/
 
VC10er
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Will the 737 MAX ever be seen at EWR? I assume one day once many more are delivered.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 2644
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm

VC10er wrote:
Will the 737 MAX ever be seen at EWR? I assume one day once many more are delivered.

Of course. With 155 on order (and likely more to come in the future), EWR will absolutely see the MAX. They'll need to take delivery of a few more before they're more widespread, but they'll probably see a few before the end of the summer.
 
gsg013
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:37 pm

My assumption is the MAX will be at EWR soon I bet right now since it is so early they are purposely route-planning to avoid EWR as it is notorious for delays and want to get the plane as much flying time as possible to work out all the kinks.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3442
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:05 pm

[*]
gsg013 wrote:
My assumption is the MAX will be at EWR soon I bet right now since it is so early they are purposely route-planning to avoid EWR as it is notorious for delays and want to get the plane as much flying time as possible to work out all the kinks.


They also need to get ground equipment set up around the system. It requires a different tow bar than the classic/NG. It also requires pushback tractors to be modified to stow a ladder. The ladder has to be used to close the comms panel after pushback. *eyeroll*
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:18 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
[*]
gsg013 wrote:
My assumption is the MAX will be at EWR soon I bet right now since it is so early they are purposely route-planning to avoid EWR as it is notorious for delays and want to get the plane as much flying time as possible to work out all the kinks.


They also need to get ground equipment set up around the system. It requires a different tow bar than the classic/NG. It also requires pushback tractors to be modified to stow a ladder. The ladder has to be used to close the comms panel after pushback. *eyeroll*

Don't they have these for widebodies? And at EWR, I would think every gate has the potential of handling 757's.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 3442
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United Fleet Upgrade Status - 2018

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Widobody comms panels are on the nose gear.

This is the only airplane I can think of that requires a ladder to disconnect the headset.

757 is also on the back of the nose gear.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos