baje427

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2018

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:27 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Sun Country Airlines will start a Saturday MSP-SKB flight from 22 December 2018 to 20 April 2019.
https://zizonline.com/sun-country-airlines-to-begin-regular-scheduled-non-stop-flight-to-st-kitts-and-nevis-in-december-2018/

SY's aircraft will be a 73G with 126 Economy seats.

It's always good to see small destinations get a new service.

SKB has AA,DL,UA and now SX pretty good for them the airport should be pretty busy this winter season.

gunnerman

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Plus BA's twice-weekly year-round service from LGW via ANU using the 226-seat 772.

guyanam

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:54 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Plus BA's twice-weekly year-round service from LGW via ANU using the 226-seat 772.

Think its the 270 seat version. No first class.

gunnerman

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:32 pm

BA has made changes to the 772s, it's still a 3-class to ANU (and onto SKB, TAB or PLS) but the number of seats has been reduced from 280 to 226:
62 Club World
40 World Traveller Plus
124 World Traveller

In contrast the the flights to PUJ, KIN and CUN have 336 seats:
32 Club World
52 World Traveller Plus
252 World Traveller

The flights to UVF (and onto POS or GND) and BGI are unchanged with four cabins and 226 seats:
14 First
48 Club World
40 World Traveller Plus
124 World Traveller

BWIA 772

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 am

It seems as if Intercarribean is interested in the beleaguered Insel Air now this should be interesting.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/inse ... insel-air/
Eagles Soar!

baje427

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 pm

BWIA 772 wrote:
It seems as if Intercarribean is interested in the beleaguered Insel Air now this should be interesting.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/inse ... insel-air/

This along with their move to RJ's might be too much too soon it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

caribbean484

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:53 pm

gunnerman wrote:
BA has made changes to the 772s, it's still a 3-class to ANU (and onto SKB, TAB or PLS) but the number of seats has been reduced from 280 to 226:
62 Club World
40 World Traveller Plus
124 World Traveller

Is that correct? 3 class on wikipedia has them at 283 and 275 seats, 4 class is at 226 and 219 if it is to be believed.
The newly reconfigured 3 class has 336 seats at LGW.
All ah we is one family

gunnerman

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 pm

Not all of the 13 772s at LGW have been reconfigured. Tonight's ANU-LGW flight has 226 seats in the three cabins as I posted (to be exact, there are 14 seats in First and 48 seats in Club World but the seats in First are being sold as CW as no First class fares are filed for ANU).

guyanam

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:00 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Not all of the 13 772s at LGW have been reconfigured. Tonight's ANU-LGW flight has 226 seats in the three cabins as I posted (to be exact, there are 14 seats in First and 48 seats in Club World but the seats in First are being sold as CW as no First class fares are filed for ANU).

Do you know what % of seats ANU uses out of planes headed to SKB,PLS and TAB? It seems like a sharp cut in seats which means either the planes weren't full, or more likely BA is shifting to the high yield passenger. Not sure that the tag on islands attract that crowd out of the UK.

gunnerman

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Only Revenue Management knows the answer but all of BA's intra-Caribbean flights are lightly loaded, which is inevitable when you've got shared flights with the gateaway destination (ANU, BGI, UVF) being more popular than the tags. It was exactly the same with BW's LHR flights for ANU-POS, UVF-POS and BGI-POS.

caribbean484

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:26 am

gunnerman wrote:

So isn't that the 4 class a/c? Because from what I see they are giving first, business, premium economy and economy at 226 seats. The 3 class only has Business, premium economy and economy.

St Maarten seems to be getting back on track after the devastating hurricane last year, and the terminal building operations will return in November. Airlines are slowly restoring flights, KLM and AA are increasing seats to the island for the winter
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/8 ... rten-event
All ah we is one family

gunnerman

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:22 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

So isn't that the 4 class a/c? Because from what I see they are giving first, business, premium economy and economy at 226 seats. The 3 class only has Business, premium economy and economy.

The use of the 4-cabin 772s to ANU is an interim measure as this isn't a destination which justifies a First class cabin (with matching fares). But from 28 October 2018 the 3-cabin 772s will be reinstated with 336 seats (used to be 280 seats):
Club World 32 (32)
World Traveller Plus 52 (32)
World Traveller 252 (216)

guyanam

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:28 am

Is there a reason why BA only offers its Y, Y+ and B class on its BGI routes? I thought it was a 4 class service.

BonaireFly

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 am

Insel Air to introduce "Costumer's Choice".

http://curacaochronicle.com/aviation/pr ... rs-choice/

The "seat only" option should be a great for people doing day trips. Hopefully means a cheaper fare and not an excuse to price their regular economy fare higher. A five day in advance booking for last Friday between Bonaire and Curacao on Insel Air was running at $223 compared to the $186 USD that I ended up paying for the Winair flight operated by AirAntilles ATR 42's.

gunnerman

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:11 pm

guyanam wrote:
Is there a reason why BA only offers its Y, Y+ and B class on its BGI routes? I thought it was a 4 class service.

It is a route with four cabins, there has been First class to BGI for decades. Usually there is a daily flight (BA2155) year-round although in recent years there's been at least two summers when the Tuesday flights did not operate. The capacity will remain at 226 seats. In the winter there are always additional flights but with three cabins (no First class). This year from 28 October BA2153 will operate with 336 seats up to five times a week, bringing the total to 12 flights a week.

Caribbean007

Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:47 pm

This winter Blue Panorama moved to SDQ one flight from LRM starting on friday Dec 21st and finishin May 3rd. return will stop in Antigua, MXP-SDQ-ANU-MXP

SELMER40

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:36 pm

When is the TNCM radar coming back?
Teaching this old dog a new trick

danipawa

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:16 am

Caribbean007 wrote:
This winter Blue Panorama moved one flight to SDQ from LRM starting on friday Dec 21st and finishing May 3rd. return flight will stop in Antigua, MXP-SDQ-ANU-MXP

American is adding DFW and CLT to SDQ too, and Aruba -LGA :

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

303dk

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 am

Caribbean007 wrote:
This winter Blue Panorama moved to SDQ one flight from LRM starting on friday Dec 21st and finishin May 3rd. return will stop in Antigua, MXP-SDQ-ANU-MXP

That’s a big downgrade for passenger experience

Caribbean007

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:55 pm

303dk wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:

No, the flight before was Fridays MXP-LRM-ANU-MXP and now will be MXP-SDQ-ANU-MXP. They have another flight on Saturdays to LRM, In my understand now is better because Beach destinations like Boca Chica and Juan Dolio are closer to Santo Domingo than La Romana, There are Italians living in those areas and a lot of them go on vacations too. Also more easy for Dominicans living in Milan or Dominicans visitting Milan. Dominican goverment is starting to promote Santo Domingo and show we have more than just beaches, now are including in the promotions a Cultural and Gastronomic turism for Santo Domingo.

99NY

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 pm

BonaireFly wrote:
Insel Air to introduce "Costumer's Choice".

http://curacaochronicle.com/aviation/pr ... rs-choice/

The "seat only" option should be a great for people doing day trips. Hopefully means a cheaper fare and not an excuse to price their regular economy fare higher. A five day in advance booking for last Friday between Bonaire and Curacao on Insel Air was running at $223 compared to the $186 USD that I ended up paying for the Winair flight operated by AirAntilles ATR 42's.

That's akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It was recently reported in the Curacao Chronicle that "InselAir did not renew its IOSA (IATA Operational Safety Audit) which became expired on 17th September 2018 and it will as a direct consequence lose its valuable IATA membership if it does not renew the IOSA within 90 days".

Being that they can't seem to operate their airline with their own aircraft, I'm surprised they are even being allowed to operate at all.

303dk

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Caribbean007 wrote:
303dk wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:

No, the flight before was Fridays MXP-LRM-ANU-MXP and now will be MXP-SDQ-ANU-MXP. They have another flight on Saturdays to LRM, In my understand now is better because Beach destinations like Boca Chica and Juan Dolio are closer to Santo Domingo than La Romana, There are Italians living in those areas and a lot of them go on vacations too. Also more easy for Dominicans living in Milan or Dominicans visitting Milan. Dominican goverment is starting to promote Santo Domingo and show we have more than just beaches, now are including in the promotions a Cultural and Gastronomic turism for Santo Domingo.
I meant a downgrade in that SDQ is a mess: old, run down, poor customer service, A/C barely functioning, every passenger treated like they’re smuggling drugs. It’s the not kind of vacation experience that a lot of people are used to. LRM and PUJ are so much more tourist oriented.

baje427

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:50 pm

Does anyone know how CM's PTY-BGI route is performing?

windian425

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:16 pm

The CM PTY-BGI route performed well in both July and August. September is expected to be similar with the downgrade to the E190.

United787

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 pm

Does anyone know the status of SXM? Is the main terminal building open yet?

Caribbean007

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 pm

303dk wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:
303dk wrote:

I meant a downgrade in that SDQ is a mess: old, run down, poor customer service, A/C barely functioning, every passenger treated like they’re smuggling drugs. It’s the not kind of vacation experience that a lot of people are used to. LRM and PUJ are so much more tourist oriented.

How long its been you dont fly out from SDQ? How many times have you fly into LRM and PUJ?

SDQ is renovated and started another process to renovate de Parkings, Central atrio will have new inmigration area, New Cargo city and administrative, consolidation shipping companies office and cargo custom facilities.

I had fly out and in from all 3 airports, about LRM one time they checked my suitcase, 2 other times dont. Biggest drug cases here in DR has been catched in LRM and I have seen how they checked people taki g theor to the room like any other airport.

From PUJ only 2 of 7 times they stoped me only to ask me questions.

From SDQ one time sent to migration to check if I havea fake Mexican Visa and another time to ask what I was going to do in Colombia, questions answered and I continued with my trip.

I just traveled to Canada from PUJ before boarding they put a dog so smell all carry on of every passenger, when la ded in YUL they opened my suitcase and put a sign opened with a code, when I picked up my suitcase came to me an officer and made questions, liftted with his hands my suitcase, checked touching the back of my suitcase. Not sure if you didnt know that Dominican Republic is a path used to smugle drogs into Europe and North America, so nothing wrong about checking people, what i do is be first in line for checkin and go inside inmeditly so they can check and ask all that they want.

303dk

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Caribbean007 wrote:
303dk wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:

How long its been you dont fly out from SDQ? How many times have you fly into LRM and PUJ?

SDQ is renovated and started another process to renovate de Parkings, Central atrio will have new inmigration area, New Cargo city and administrative, consolidation shipping companies office and cargo custom facilities.

I had fly out and in from all 3 airports, about LRM one time they checked my suitcase, 2 other times dont. Biggest drug cases here in DR has been catched in LRM and I have seen how they checked people taki g theor to the room like any other airport.

From SDQ one time sent to migration to check if I havea fake Mexican Visa and another time to ask what I was going to do in Colombia, questions answered and I continued with my trip.

I just traveled to Canada from PUJ before boarding they put a dog so smell all carry on of every passenger, when la ded in YUL they opened my suitcase and put a sign opened with a code, when I picked up my suitcase came to me an officer and made questions, liftted with his hands my suitcase, checked touching the back of my suitcase. Not sure if you didnt know that Dominican Republic is a path used to smugle drogs into Europe and North America, so nothing wrong about checking people, what i do is be first in line for checkin and go inside inmeditly so they can check and ask all that they want.

I’ve been to all three multiple times this year. Four trips through SDQ in the last 30 days. It’s a consistent nightmare

Caribbean007

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:08 pm

303dk wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:
303dk wrote:

I’ve been to all three multiple times this year. Four trips through SDQ in the last 30 days. It’s a consistent nightmare

Maybe because you traveled 4 times in 30 days they want to know what are you doing.

303dk

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 am

JetBlue is cutting STX in January, local media is reporting. Apparently the load factor over the last two years has averaged 50%

303dk

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:27 am

United787 wrote:
Does anyone know the status of SXM? Is the main terminal building open yet?

It’s not. Scheduled for November

danipawa

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:07 am

In other news, Sky Aviation Service is launching Santo Domingo SDQ - Santiago de Cuba SCU starting Nov 5 on JS41/B1900

After PAWA dead those little companies are rising:

http://infoturdominicano.com/rd/?p=44416

baje427

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:32 pm

windian425 wrote:
The CM PTY-BGI route performed well in both July and August. September is expected to be similar with the downgrade to the E190.

Thanks for the response hopefully it continues going well CM advertised a bit initially but that has fallen off I think if they really push shopping in Panama that would also assist.

Caribbean007

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:31 pm

303dk wrote:
JetBlue is cutting STX in January, local media is reporting. Apparently the load factor over the last two years has averaged 50%

Also cutting SJU-STI in Dominican Republic, looks like same situation with the load factor.

gunnerman

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm

windian425 wrote:

From 5 December 2018 flights are planned to be operated with the 737-700.

Balloonchaser

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:54 pm

JetBlue has announced KFLL-TNCM. Starting in the winter of 2018/2019.

Will we see Spirit drop out of SXM or will we see them move to MCO-SXM or go more then x1 weekly on the FLL route?

http://mediaroom.jetblue.com/investor-r ... -163556413

Balloonchaser

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:53 am

Also hearing rumors about another European Carrier looking at TNCM service? Anyone have further info?

guyanam

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:39 am

B6 is out of STX because they joint code with Cape Air, so they still have the route but without the expense of running their own metal.

303dk

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:07 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
guyanam wrote:
B6 is out of STX because they joint code with Cape Air, so they still have the route but without the expense of running their own metal.

SJU-STX has also been added to the Seaborne codeshare.

LimaFoxTango

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:

Will we see Spirit drop out of SXM or will we see them move to MCO-SXM or go more then x1 weekly on the FLL route?

It amazes me how hurricane ravaged SXM can attract new and/or expanded service, yet places like ANU still struggling. Hats off to SXM. They seem to be doing something right.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

guyanam

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm

In the medium term this hurricane might have even benefitted SXM as they certainly have received publicity. They have a very high profile among US travelers. Many find the contrast between the two sides to be very intriguing.

baje427

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

It amazes me how hurricane ravaged SXM can attract new and/or expanded service, yet places like ANU still struggling. Hats off to SXM. They seem to be doing something right.

Some Caribbean destinations are better at attracting and maintaining US flights. For example, SKB,ANU and UVF have service from the US3 yet BGI just has AA and B6 and any route outside of South Florida and New York tends to fail.

guyanam

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Back out the VFR market and its likely that UVF gets more US tourists than BGI. B6 has put in lots of capacity into BGI which might be why others, aside from AA, are out of BGI. ANU gets only 1x from ATL and UA has been reducing service to that island recently. SKB is highly seasonal with UA only flying there in the winter. B6 doesn't fly there.

BGI is getting daily from CLT this winter.

BWA900

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:40 pm

guyanam wrote:
Back out the VFR market and its likely that UVF gets more US tourists than BGI. B6 has put in lots of capacity into BGI which might be why others, aside from AA, are out of BGI. ANU gets only 1x from ATL and UA has been reducing service to that island recently. SKB is highly seasonal with UA only flying there in the winter. B6 doesn't fly there.

BGI is getting daily from CLT this winter.

Forbes and a few other outlets commented on B6's growth in Barbados mentioning that AA will be adding a 3rd daily MIA flight in efforts to compete with them in BGI. Interesting how it will play out with B6's 4 routes vs AA's 2.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... f2aa41681f
Flown: A300 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A350 A380 B717 B735 B737 B738 B739 B38M B744 B752 B753 B763 B772ER B772LR B77W B788 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9

Brickell305

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

There is some good news with regards to service to Antigua with AA going 2x daily out of Miami from December but I agree with you that Antigua has been lacking on new/expanded service otherwise. I think the biggest problem facing ANU is that tourist demand to the island is heavily skewed to the NYC region even more so than most other islands in the E. Caribbean. So while you have three (soon to be four) airlines battling it out of NYC (AA, B6, (DL,) UA), the daily (soon to be 2x daily) AA out of MIA, along with the 1-2x week service from ATL/CLT was sufficient to cater to everyone else.

The nature of Antigua's tourist market also hampers increased service. Attracting a more upscale clientele, it makes it easier for the legacies to compete with the lower cost carriers as they can actually fill a business cabin to Antigua. We see this from NYC where despite B6 starting service from JFK, the other majors already serving it out of NYC (AA, UA) reduced service but held on and we even now see DL looking to restart its own weekly service.

I also don't see where there would be any expansion into Antigua beyond what has already occurred. NYC is already well served. Any further growth by any airline there will likely come at the expense of another. B6 is unlikely to start Boston when they are in their current competitive position in JFK. I highly doubt they'll start FLL when while there is some O&D demand to/from So. Fla, it's nowhere near as big as the other E. Caribbean destinations (BGI, POS soon SXM) that they serve and at times seem to struggle with out of FLL. Their hub in FLL is also nowhere near as big as the one AA maintains at MIA so it'll be hard to compete for connecting flows as well. DL doesn't need anything more from ATL than a 1-2 a week service for their FFs to burn miles and maybe pick up some connections here and there. Ditto for AA at CLT. UA definitely isn't starting service from anywhere other than EWR which itself has been reduced in recent times. I don't see WN or NK starting service there anytime soon due to the nature of the tourist clientele. The tourism plant on the island will have to grow (as it is currently doing) in order to attract any additional service beyond what it has now.

guyanam

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Yes I especially agree with the NYC focus at ANU. Despite having a smaller population and VFR market than does BGI its winter airlift isn't that far behind. The 2nd daily MIA flight allows people from other regions to get to ANU. That used to be a major challenge with service limited to NYC and the mid morning MIA departure.

I doubt that B6 is going to grow its ANU presence as many are upscale so integrated into the U3 FF programs. Generally the entry of B6 into the JFK market meant that other carriers left, but I will be surprised if this happens with ANU. UA reduced its flights to ANU as B6 entered and AA and DL re-entered the JFK ANU market. EWR is more limited in its market draw for travel to the Caribbean.

danipawa

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 am

Air century is increasing their destinations from Santo Domingo JBQ : AUA 2 To 3 , CUR 3 to 4, SXM 3 to 4, SJU 5 to 6 and also introducing CRJ200 service on SJU, SXM, CUR starting Nov 12.

gunnerman

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 am

guyanam wrote:
Yes I especially agree with the NYC focus at ANU. Despite having a smaller population and VFR market than does BGI its winter airlift isn't that far behind. The 2nd daily MIA flight allows people from other regions to get to ANU. That used to be a major challenge with service limited to NYC and the mid morning MIA departure.

One thing to mention is that Barbados has long had a strong link with Canada, more so than other Eastern Caribbean countries. In the forthcoming peak winter season from YYZ, BGI will get 11 weekly flights (7 AC Rouge, 4 Westjet), UVF will get seven (4 AC, 2 WS, 1 WG), ANU will get five (2 AC, 2 WS and 1 WG).

guyanam

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:22 am

Seeing more YYZ into ANU and UVF than that. AC daily to UVF and 4x to ANU.

BGI does hold its own. Only BGI gets year round BOS service. Not even UVF gets this. This winter BGI will get around 8,800 weekly seats from the USA. I suspect a record.

guyanam

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

danipawa wrote:
Air century is increasing their destinations from Santo Domingo JBQ : AUA 2 To 3 , CUR 3 to 4, SXM 3 to 4, SJU 5 to 6 and also introducing CRJ200 service on SJU, SXM, CUR starting Nov 12.

The collapse of PAWA and the virtual demise of Insel seems to have opened up opportunities to many carriers, some Dominican and others like Sunrise and Inter caribbean also jumping into the fray.

Caribbean007

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm

guyanam wrote:
danipawa wrote:

The collapse of PAWA and the virtual demise of Insel seems to have opened up opportunities to many carriers, some Dominican and others like Sunrise and Inter caribbean also jumping into the fray.

Intercaribbean is in the process to open a base in the Dominican Republic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos