Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GUYAIR707

Re: Caribbean aviation thread - 2018

Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:42 am

David Patterson Guyana's Public Infrastructure minister says another US airline is interested in starting December 2018 MIA-GEO and New York-GEO. Since it is most likely JetBlue he probably means FLL-GEO, and JFK-GEO. If it is JetBlue then they would have to use the A321 on the JFK-GEO route.

Link: http://www.mopi.gov.gy/posts/another-us ... yana-route

LimaFoxTango

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:13 am

ST. THOMAS — interCaribbean Airways, which recently announced connecting flights to St. Thomas and St. Croix, made known on Tuesday the cancellation of its planned St. Thomas and St. Croix routes.
The Turks and Caicos-based carrier said it had been working for several months to have the U.S.V.I. filings process completed, but the process, which the airline described as lengthy and arduous, was not possible to manage in tandem with setting up all other operations.
But interCaribbean Airlines said it did not meet an environment conducive to doing business in the U.S.V.I. “A key element at any new city served is selecting a partner handling company. In the case of the U.S.V.I., we are confronted with handling costs that are three to four times the norm across our entire network of cities,” the company said. “We simply will not pay such outrageous prices. We cannot expect to have to double our everyday affordable low airfares to compensate, it goes against our business model and we don’t feel his will be welcomed… We will not see support from the traveling public.”

http://viconsortium.com/business/interc ... n-islands/

I guess the folks at LIAT knew why they pulled out a year ago. It’ll be interesting to see how the reintroduction of flights to STT will now go.

guyanam

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:21 pm

I always suspected that the LI cancelation was more tied to high costs than to lack of business. Even though I know that ties between the USVI and the OECS aren't what it used to be I couldn't imagine that they couldn't justify some service. Now that the USVI has made some accommodations to them they have resumed STT. Inter Carib has put the ball into the USVI court, though the return of LI might make resolving this problem as less of a priority. LI's flights should do well though I don't expect SKN bound passengers to make much use of them, and I am not sure that the schedule allows connectivity to DOM.

dominicl316

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm

guyanam wrote:
I always suspected that the LI cancelation was more tied to high costs than to lack of business. Even though I know that ties between the USVI and the OECS aren't what it used to be I couldn't imagine that they couldn't justify some service. Now that the USVI has made some accommodations to them they have resumed STT. Inter Carib has put the ball into the USVI court, though the return of LI might make resolving this problem as less of a priority. LI's flights should do well though I don't expect SKN bound passengers to make much use of them, and I am not sure that the schedule allows connectivity to DOM.

InterCarib's service was needed due to their connectivity to SXM, DOM, and eventually SKB. Those destinations aren't very accessible from the USVI with LI's STT-ANU service.

InterCarib is going to wait until the end of the year and hopefully by then, things would be in place, regulatory-wise, for InterCarib to enter the market. The market is definitely there in the USVI.

guyanam

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Doesn't Air Sunshine service DOM SXM and SKB from STT? Inter Carib put the ball in the court of various entities in the USVI, so I guess this service will be contingent on that. In the meantime its Air Sunshine. Another USVI based poster insists that Air Sunshine is reliable.

A388

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Whatever happened to BVI Airways and their BAe146? It came here last year for the CARIFTA Games and the plan was to start Miami flights a few months later but I haven't heard anything else ever since. Has their plan failed and it never materialized?

Cheers,

A388

303dk

Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 pm

guyanam wrote:
LI left because their flights were never on time and they often were billed for US Customs and TSA overtime when they showed up late

GGT242

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:08 am

Silver Airways Acquires Seaborne Airlines to Create Leading Independent Airline Serving the Caribbean, Bahamas, Florida, and Beyond

Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (April 23, 2018) – Silver Airways and Seaborne Airlines today announced that Silver’s acquisition of Seaborne’s business and assets has successfully closed, creating a leading independent airline to serve the Caribbean, Bahamas, Florida, and beyond.

The acquisition brings together two strong independent airlines with similar Saab 340B fleets, complementary route networks, and common codeshare/interline partners. With the upcoming deployment of Silver’s recently announced new fleet of state-of-the-art ATR-600s across both networks, the combined airline will have an expanded range, allowing it to better serve passengers and markets while creating more opportunities for employees and greater value for its business partners.

“I am thrilled to welcome the Seaborne team members to the Silver family as together we create one of the nation’s leading independent airlines in a transaction that will benefit our guests, team members, and the communities we serve, as well as both airlines’ valued codeshare and interline partnerships with most major U.S. carriers,” said Silver Airways CEO Steve Rossum. “This transaction brings together two strong and historic independent airlines with amazing employees, an excellent track record of operational safety, respect for our people and our communities, and great service for our passengers.”

“We at Seaborne are excited about this partnership with Silver Airways and the opportunities that it can provide,” said Seaborne CEO Ben Munson. “Despite the devastating impact of Hurricanes Irma and Maria, our resilient and dedicated employees at Seaborne have successfully restructured our company with the support of our loyal passengers. We are well positioned to grow with an airline that shares our common goals of success, and are very pleased that San Juan and the U.S. Virgin Islands will continue to be significant for Silver and Seaborne.”

The combined airline will continue operating Silver’s route network in the Bahamas, Florida, and beyond under the Silver Airways banner and Seaborne’s route network throughout Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and the Caribbean under the Seaborne name. The total fleet now consists of 31 aircraft, including Saab 340 and de Havilland Twin Otter seaplane aircraft. Silver is also the North American launch customer for the eco-friendly ATR-600 aircraft in the U.S. Silver took delivery of the first 46-seat ATR-42 earlier this month and has a firm order for 19 additional ATR-600s and up to 30 additional purchase rights.

Tickets for Silver Airways will continue to be available on SilverAirways.com and bookings for Seaborne will continue on SeaborneAirlines.com. Seaborne passengers will be able to earn and redeem frequent traveler miles under Seaborne’s SeaMiles program. Initially, Seaborne will continue to operate under its own certificate as a standalone operating subsidiary of Silver. The merger of the two airlines’ operating functions, joint branding, and streamlining of the guest experience is expected to occur during the next year.

Steve Rossum of Silver Airways will serve as CEO of the combined airline. Ben Munson will resume his role as president of aviation consulting firm Embark Aviation, and continue as a valued advisor to the company. The combined airline will employ nearly 1,000 aviation professionals and will be headquartered at Silver Airways’ offices in Fort Lauderdale under the leadership of executives from both Silver and Seaborne. Corporate and operations support functions will continue at locations in Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa, San Juan, and St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
http://www.silverairways.com/about-silv ... op_mobi=no

LimaFoxTango

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:13 am

303dk wrote:
guyanam wrote:
LI left because their flights were never on time and they often were billed for US Customs and TSA overtime when they showed up late

“Never” is quite an over exaggeration. LI was the only international carrier into STT and whenever LI’s flight landed it always seemed like a burden onto the CBP and TSA agents. They had leave the domestic side and head over to the international side “just” for LIAT.....hence the need for the extra billing.

303dk

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:55 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
303dk wrote:
guyanam wrote:

“Never” is quite an over exaggeration. LI was the only international carrier into STT and whenever LI’s flight landed it always seemed like a burden onto the CBP and TSA agents. They had leave the domestic side and head over to the international side “just” for LIAT.....hence the need for the extra billing.

They seem to manage just fine for Air Sunshine and the charters

guyanam

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm

A388 wrote:
Whatever happened to BVI Airways and their BAe146? It came here last year for the CARIFTA Games and the plan was to start Miami flights a few months later but I haven't heard anything else ever since. Has their plan failed and it never materialized?

Cheers,

A388

Its dead. Even before the hurricane they had issues with getting started even though they received millions of dollars of support from the BVI government. Clearly the hurricane put and end to it.

303dk

Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:05 am

guyanam wrote:
A388 wrote:

Cheers,

A388

Its dead. Even before the hurricane they had issues with getting started even though they received millions of dollars of support from the BVI government. Clearly the hurricane put and end to it.

It’s time for the BVI government to swallow their pride and be a partner in the just announced new STT. They could have a seemless arrival and transfer experience or drop the games with customs and let the charter boats pick up guests right from the airport

dominicl316

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:09 pm

guyanam wrote:
Doesn't Air Sunshine service DOM SXM and SKB from STT? .

They currently do not serve SXM from STT. Only AXA, SKB, NEV, and DOM.

guyanam

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2018

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Did Air Sunshine discontinue SXM service because of the hurricane, which dropped passenger levels, or did this happen before?

HI442ct

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Surinam Airways accepted delivery of their first B737-700, nice looking bird, a few vids online of the arrival ceremony, nice to see this company modernizing, and glad they are still around, I remember working on their DC8' years ago.

asuflyer

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:47 am

The arrival of the first 737-700 of Surinam at PBM.

Balloonchaser

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:36 am

asuflyer wrote:
The arrival of the first 737-700 of Surinam at PBM.

Will they be using it on InterCaribbean flights or on American/South American Flights?

guyanam

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:11 am

I would assume that this is the beginning of phasing out their ageing 737-300 fleet. The plane will most likely be used on the entirety of its routes based on loads.

In fact I would assume that the MIA route will be given priority given that PY needs to fill its planes with passengers destined to AUA and GEO as PBM along cannot support the route. PY faces competition on these sectors, plus don't benefit from patriotic sentiments as they would with routes dominated by Surinamese passengers.

PY will face competition from AA on the MIA GEO sector in addition to that which it already faces from BW, which operates with a stop in POS

Brickell305

Wed May 02, 2018 4:27 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384617&start=150#p20373465

Taken from the AA Route Network Thread. All Caribbean related info:

AA321T wrote:
Announced to employees today, AA is implementing the following network changes:

- Adding weekly seasonal service from ORD on Saturdays to AUA, GCM, NAS, and PLS, all operated on a B737-800 starting Dec. 22.
- Adding new year-round Saturday service from MIA to SVD operated on an A319 starting Dec. 22.
- Adding another daily winter-seasonal frequency to seven destinations that already have direct service from MIA today: BGI, CUR, POP, all operated with a B737-800; POS, operated with a B737 MAX 8; SDQ, operated with an A321; UVF, operated with a B757; and FPO, operated with an Embraer E175 beginning Dec. 19.
- Adding new year-round Saturday service from DFW to AUA beginning Dec. 22 on a B737-800.
- Launching new year-round weekly Saturday flights from CLT to ELH on a CRJ-700 operated by PSA, and MHH on an E175 operated by Republic.

jmdc861

Wed May 02, 2018 4:29 pm

GEO canned by AA before it ever started! Yes, ZERO'd out availability for all future dates in 2019 in GDSs Amadeus and Sabre for non-stop MIA-GEO. Call to AA reservations said 4 X weekly service no longer being offered. I would love to know the story behind this!

A388

Wed May 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Good news that AA will add frequencies to CUR from MIA :D

A388

Brickell305

Wed May 02, 2018 5:10 pm

jmdc861 wrote:
GEO canned by AA before it ever started! Yes, ZERO'd out availability for all future dates in 2019 in GDSs Amadeus and Sabre for non-stop MIA-GEO. Call to AA reservations said 4 X weekly service no longer being offered. I would love to know the story behind this!

It's possible that they never received gov't approval. At the time of announcement and even after opening tickets for sale, they had yet to receive it.

A388

Wed May 02, 2018 5:27 pm

I can't imagine that a big airline like AA would announce a route before getting the necessary approval/green light to do so. In any case, it's very strange that this route is cancelled before it started so I would like to know what happened here too.

A388

baje427

Wed May 02, 2018 5:27 pm

AA will be adding SVD once a week for the winter season. They will also add additional winter service to BGI,CUR,POP,POS,SDQ,UVF and FPO out of MIA.

Brickell305

Wed May 02, 2018 5:34 pm

A388 wrote:
I can't imagine that a big airline like AA would announce a route before getting the necessary approval/green light to do so. In any case, it's very strange that this route is cancelled before it started so I would like to know what happened here too.

A388

https://www.stabroeknews.com/2018/news/stories/04/13/american-airlines-still-to-apply-for-flight-rights-here-field/

American Airlines is still to submit its application to fly here to the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) even though it has announced that tickets were to go on sale from April 2 and for flights to begin in December, says GCAA Director General Egbert Field.

“They have not applied neither have they been in contact with us as yet. We have to give the approvals. We will have to look at the viability of the company together with their safety and security aspects.”

In an interview with Stabroek News on Tues-day, he said, he expects the US carrier would make contact with the GCAA so they can start the approval process for their operation.

The article from a Guyanese paper there. From my understanding, airlines do announce routes before receiving gov't approval relatively frequently. You often do see "pending regulatory approval" on newly announced international routes when they are first put up for sale.

A388

Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm

That article to me has zero credibility. They claim that AA has not even contacted the GCAA. How on earth would any airline do that, let alone a big airline like AA. It seems to me more that the website for some reason doesn't want AA to fly to GEO. I just can't imagine any airline announcing a new route without even contacting the aviation authorities first.

A388

ryan78

Wed May 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384617&start=150#p20373465

AA321T wrote:

- Adding weekly seasonal service from ORD on Saturdays to AUA, GCM, NAS, and PLS, all operated on a B737-800 starting Dec. 22.
- Adding new year-round Saturday service from MIA to SVD operated on an A319 starting Dec. 22.
- Adding another daily winter-seasonal frequency to seven destinations that already have direct service from MIA today: BGI, CUR, POP, all operated with a B737-800; POS, operated with a B737 MAX 8; SDQ, operated with an A321; UVF, operated with a B757; and FPO, operated with an Embraer E175 beginning Dec. 19.
- Adding new year-round Saturday service from DFW to AUA beginning Dec. 22 on a B737-800.
- Launching new year-round weekly Saturday flights from CLT to ELH on a CRJ-700 operated by PSA, and MHH on an E175 operated by Republic.

Wow ELH and MHH are great adds for CLT. I've always though they could work from US hubs, similar to what Exuma currently gets. Wouldn't be surprised to see if Delta jumps in on ELH from ATL. They currently serve MHH seasonally. Side note, I've always wondered if there is a big enough market from New York, Boston or Philly to the smaller Bahamas islands like ELH, MHH and GGT, I feel like they could work at x1-2 weekly flights on small equipment, CRJ's or E175's.

Brickell305

Wed May 02, 2018 5:49 pm

A388 wrote:
That article to me has zero credibility. They claim that AA has not even contacted the GCAA. How on earth would any airline do that, let alone a big airline like AA. It seems to me more that the website for some reason doesn't want AA to fly to GEO. I just can't imagine any airline announcing a new route without even contacting the aviation authorities first.

A388

That quote came from the Director of the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority. I think if anyone would know, it'd be him.

aa1818

Wed May 02, 2018 6:13 pm

baje427 wrote:
AA will be adding SVD once a week for the winter season. They will also add additional winter service to BGI,CUR,POP,POS,SDQ,UVF and FPO out of MIA.

Try that again baje...not winter season- it is year round.
Adding new year-round Saturday service from MIA to SVD operated on an A319 starting Dec. 22.

AA1818

baje427

Wed May 02, 2018 6:26 pm

aa1818 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

Try that again baje...not winter season- it is year round.
Adding new year-round Saturday service from MIA to SVD operated on an A319 starting Dec. 22.

AA1818

Thanks for the correction, that is good news for SVD they are landing established carriers.

BW600

Wed May 02, 2018 7:48 pm

GUYAIR707 wrote:
David Patterson Guyana's Public Infrastructure minister says another US airline is interested in starting December 2018 MIA-GEO and New York-GEO. Since it is most likely JetBlue he probably means FLL-GEO, and JFK-GEO. If it is JetBlue then they would have to use the A321 on the JFK-GEO route.

Could this be why AA has pulled out? Maybe decided it is not worth the investment to compete with B6 on the route.

Brickell305

Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 pm

BW600 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

Could this be why AA has pulled out? Maybe decided it is not worth the investment to compete with B6 on the route.

I doubt it for two reasons:

1. AA would be unlikely to pull out simply based on the rumor of JetBlue starting service.
2. While AA does tend to run from competition with B6 on routes out of NYC, they tend to compete (and dominate) out of So. Fla. If B6 was willing to start the route after AA's announcement, it must mean that there is strong potential there. From MIA/FLL, AA would be the likely victor of that fight with its stronger hub and business travel ties.

Barring an announcement from AA or a zeroed out OAG filing, I wouldn't be so quick to assume the route is canceled. It could just be that AA has been asked to suspend sales until approval is final or maybe there is a delay in startup for some reason.

gunnerman

Thu May 03, 2018 12:13 am

It will be a formality for AA to get approval. No point in spending megabucks on the airport expansion and then telling AA to get stuffed. However, will the airport be ready by December 2018? The expansion project is running well behind schedule, so AA may be hesitating.

A388

Thu May 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
A388 wrote:

A388

That quote came from the Director of the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority. I think if anyone would know, it'd be him.

I still don't believe it, but I'll keep it at that. It's a miss for Guyana.

A388

baje427

Thu May 03, 2018 1:29 pm

gunnerman wrote:
It will be a formality for AA to get approval. No point in spending megabucks on the airport expansion and then telling AA to get stuffed. However, will the airport be ready by December 2018? The expansion project is running well behind schedule, so AA may be hesitating.

I don't see how an expansion project would cause hesitation the airport is operational currently.

Brickell305

Thu May 03, 2018 2:13 pm

baje427 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

I don't see how an expansion project would cause hesitation the airport is operational currently.

And can most definitely accommodate an A319 destined to Miami.

HIA350

Thu May 03, 2018 2:15 pm

B6 inaguaral flight arriving at SDQ from newark 2 days ago, competition to Bad UAL

guyanam

Thu May 03, 2018 4:31 pm

A388 wrote:

A388

They did NOT submit a formal application. This fact was reported in the Guyana papers and around that time the AA flight disappeared. The Guyana gov't has however being talking about it so I think that it is a mere formality.

guyanam

Thu May 03, 2018 4:38 pm

baje427 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

The carrier that is apparently waiting for runway extension is allegedly B6 as they need it to run a fully loaded flight on the GEO JFK sector. If it is that AA is reconsidering the route it has nothing to do with the airport expansion, and the Guyana gov't has been boasting about this route so they definitely didn't refuse permission.

The opposition party would be too glad if AA withdraws as they will use this as an example of the current government's failure to attract a major brand, which Guyana definitely needs, so I doubt that the gov't would boast and then withdraw. I am however skeptical of AA running a MIA GEO service with the high fares that they had announced, which are significantly higher than that offered by BW, and PY. Unlike the JFK route the MIA route isnt underserved.

817Dreamliiner

Sat May 05, 2018 10:00 am

ANU is scheduled to get its first 787 service today from Neos. NO732 from Milan should arrive at around 3pm and depart at 4:35pm to La Romana.

https://fr24.com/NOS732/114574ef

gunnerman

Sat May 05, 2018 11:09 am

Schedule for today's flights:

MXP-ANU 1200-1505
ANU-LRM 1635-1755
LRM-MXP 1955-1045*
*next day arrival

From 12 May NO will operate MXP-LRM-MXP on Saturdays until 27 October.

The 789 has 28 seats in Business class and 331 in Economy.

Balloonchaser

Sat May 05, 2018 1:34 pm

Now that Neos is operating to Antigua... In the near future, what’s the odds of them announcing SXM service? St. Maarten is rebuilding nicely and I see many carriers coming in now for a fresh start.

guyanam

Sat May 05, 2018 4:25 pm

ANU has long been a destination for Italians. I cannot imagine why SXM will not also attract a more diverse Euro crowd, given that it already pulls in large numbers of French tourists, and decent numbers of Dutch.

gunnerman

Sat May 05, 2018 5:29 pm

After today's flight by NO to ANU, there will be nothing more until Blue Panorama starts Saturday flights on 2 June until 1 September. The schedule for BV1640 is:
MXP-ANU 1150-1505
ANU-LRM 1720-1855
LRM-MXP 1955-1050*
*next day arrival

The aircraft will be a 763 with 12 seats in Business class and 264 in Economy.

Brickell305

Sat May 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Now that Neos is operating to Antigua... In the near future, what’s the odds of them announcing SXM service? St. Maarten is rebuilding nicely and I see many carriers coming in now for a fresh start.

I think the difference between the two is that ANU’s main European connection is LGW which itself isn’t necessarily that well connected to other European source markets, at least not with BA/VS. Whereas, SXM has flights to both CDG and AMS, both of which are well connected to the rest of the European source markets by their respective hub carriers and as such, those tourists can simply connect via one of those hubs so less need for the direct flight.

guyanam

Sat May 05, 2018 5:45 pm

While SXM's greater connectivity thru Euro hubs its noted many Euro visitors travel on packages offered by the tour companies which have their own charters. Even FDF is now getting service from points in Europe other than Paris.

817Dreamliiner

Sun May 06, 2018 5:33 am

Video of the Neos 787-9 arriving at ANU yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofCNN1fJeiw

Water cannon salute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1xbPuXDAcY

gunnerman

Sun May 06, 2018 12:09 pm

For a moment it looked as if the AC 320 was being pushed back into the path of the 789.

GGT242

Sun May 06, 2018 1:27 pm

ryan78 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384617&start=150#p20373465

AA321T wrote:

Wow ELH and MHH are great adds for CLT. I've always though they could work from US hubs, similar to what Exuma currently gets. Wouldn't be surprised to see if Delta jumps in on ELH from ATL. They currently serve MHH seasonally. Side note, I've always wondered if there is a big enough market from New York, Boston or Philly to the smaller Bahamas islands like ELH, MHH and GGT, I feel like they could work at x1-2 weekly flights on small equipment, CRJ's or E175's.

I definitely think a New York or Boston could work from GGT.

GUYAIR707

Mon May 07, 2018 5:54 am

The local newspapers are reporting that AA will meet with GCAA in June, and the Head says it should take about a month to process their application to GEO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos