Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ilovelamp

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
I was dummy booking some flights on DL’s app for January 2019 the other day and they’ll apparently be running 757’s in the mornings on the ATL route. Of course, being 10 months in advance that could change, but it would be interesting to see if they upgauge the route, especially if they provide less frequency b/c of WN’s service.

As an aside, I’m a little shocked at the block times SWA has for the BNA-ATL route. It appears all of them are exactly 1:00 or 1:05. Delta’s block times are no less than 1:02 up to 1:18 depending on the time of day. SWA’s times will need to be increased due to ATL flow times. They certainly won’t get advantageous flow times from ATC.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as they push on time. Flight time is typically 40-45 minutes depending on runway configurations at both ends.

I fly this weekly in both directions and the usually wheels up time delay (BNA-ATL) ranges from 10-25 minutes. Add in another 10 minutes of average taxi time in ATL and a 38-42 minute flight becomes almost impossible to pull off without overblocking and causing delays (assuming 1:00 or 1:05 block times).

My overall point is I predict those scheduled block times will increase modestly as they get experience on the route. Delta’s times are padded well.

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:52 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

As an aside, I’m a little shocked at the block times SWA has for the BNA-ATL route. It appears all of them are exactly 1:00 or 1:05. Delta’s block times are no less than 1:02 up to 1:18 depending on the time of day. SWA’s times will need to be increased due to ATL flow times. They certainly won’t get advantageous flow times from ATC.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as they push on time. Flight time is typically 40-45 minutes depending on runway configurations at both ends.

I fly this weekly in both directions and the usually wheels up time delay (BNA-ATL) ranges from 10-25 minutes. Add in another 10 minutes of average taxi time in ATL and a 38-42 minute flight becomes almost impossible to pull off without overblocking and causing delays (assuming 1:00 or 1:05 block times).

My overall point is I predict those scheduled block times will increase modestly as they get experience on the route. Delta’s times are padded well.

Right, because DL schedules the flights at about 15 minutes before their slot and sometimes pushes early. But nothing says that WN can or should schedule like that.

ilovelamp

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Right, because DL schedules the flights at about 15 minutes before their slot and sometimes pushes early. But nothing says that WN can or should schedule like that.

Actually they don’t. Delta has to call to get the actual slot times. Slot times vary wildly with any given day so it’s almost impossible to schedule flight around them.

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

Actually they don’t. Delta has to call to get the actual slot times. Slot times vary wildly with any given day so it’s almost impossible to schedule flight around them.

Yeah, but there's something more to it than that (or many DL pilots are liars, which I doubt). I've had numerous BNA-ATL flights on which the pilots have announced that we have to wait for a wheels up time due to an early push. If they called when they pushed, that wouldn't happen.

ilovelamp

What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Yeah, but there's something more to it than that (or many DL pilots are liars, which I doubt). I've had numerous BNA-ATL flights on which the pilots have announced that we have to wait for a wheels up time due to an early push. If they called when they pushed, that wouldn't happen.

Delta crews are supposed to call 20 minutes or more prior to departure for the flow time. They ask for a flow time of scheduled departure time plus 10 minutes to allow for standard taxi time to the runway. Once received from ATC, that time can’t be adjusted earlier so an early push means nothing in the grand scheme of things. An early push usually means the gate is needed for another Inbound flight.

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:42 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

Delta crews are supposed to call 20 minutes or more prior to departure for the flow time. They ask for a flow time of scheduled departure time plus 10 minutes to allow for standard taxi time to the runway. Once received from ATC, that time can’t be adjusted earlier so an early push means nothing in the grand scheme of things. An early push usually means the gate is needed for another Inbound flight.

I think the early pushes are more about DL's incessant attention to D0, especially for agents. Yet another reason that that focus is somewhat misguided.

ilovelamp

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I think the early pushes are more about DL's incessant attention to D0, especially for agents. Yet another reason that that focus is somewhat misguided.

I’m not following. Are you suggesting there shouldn’t be an incessant focus on D0? Should they just stay at the gate and potentially miss the flow time and make the delay worse?

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

I’m not following. Are you suggesting there shouldn’t be an incessant focus on D0? Should they just stay at the gate and potentially miss the flow time and make the delay worse?

No, I'm suggesting that no passenger cares about D0. We care about A0 (or maybe A5 or A15). I don't care if the plane pushes 10 minutes early, on time, or 30 minutes late if I get where I'm going when I'm supposed to be there.

ilovelamp

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:53 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

No, I'm suggesting that no passenger cares about D0. We care about A0 (or maybe A5 or A15). I don't care if the plane pushes 10 minutes early, on time, or 30 minutes late if I get where I'm going when I'm supposed to be there.

The airlines care about D0 because those stats are tracked by the DOT. A0 (not A14 like most other airlines) is becoming the incessant focus at Delta so that’s why D0 is becoming more critical.

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:00 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

The airlines care about D0 because those stats are tracked by the DOT. A0 (not A14 like most other airlines) is becoming the incessant focus at Delta so that’s why D0 is becoming more critical.

. . . but DL pads schedules so much that D0 and A0 have only a passing correlation with one another.

flymco753

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:03 pm

evank516 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
This is completely random, but I've noticed Concourse B is pretty packed with people now compared like 2 short years ago. It was pretty much shoulder to shoulder walking down to the end to of the Concourse last week.
I flew to BNA from DTW on an A320 and it was oversold. The agents were complaining about why there aren't larger aircraft, so I assume once hold space is expanded you'll start seeing some 737-800's or even -900's on the route for Delta.

I don't think the 738 would qualify as a larger aircraft compared to the A320. Both have very similar capacity depending on layout. The 739 would, the A321 would, and the 757 would, and I think they can manage a 739 there, but anything larger probably requires some renovations.
You're right about the 738 being the same size as the 320, roughly. I think as they expand the hold areas, 739 service to SEA, LAX and A321 service to DTW is possible while increasing LGA and MSP to 717's.

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:18 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
I flew to BNA from DTW on an A320 and it was oversold. The agents were complaining about why there aren't larger aircraft, so I assume once hold space is expanded you'll start seeing some 737-800's or even -900's on the route for Delta.

I don't think the 738 would qualify as a larger aircraft compared to the A320. Both have very similar capacity depending on layout. The 739 would, the A321 would, and the 757 would, and I think they can manage a 739 there, but anything larger probably requires some renovations.
You're right about the 738 being the same size as the 320, roughly. I think as they expand the hold areas, 739 service to SEA, LAX and A321 service to DTW is possible while increasing LGA and MSP to 717's.

Why would they need to expand the hold areas? DL has flown 757s on and off to ATL for decades.

evank516

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:22 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I would LOVE if DL expanded the LGA flights (or even the JFK flights too) to 717s! I avoid RJs at all costs due to the higher cancellation and delay probabilities. Living in NY, we have bad weather risks about 9 or 10 months out of the year, and I opt to fly through ATL to go to BNA so I wouldn't mind the change to mainline. In fact, I'm flying LGA-ATL-BNA r/t this June. The good news is the Mad Dog though :)

gsg013

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Agree that NYC-BNA could definitely be allocated a mainline flight at least once a day. The issue I see is that the yield on the flight is fairly high so keeping the RJ allows to cap capacity and keep those yields high. I think in the short term it could go to a 717 and eventually C-Series.

That being said I do believe that LGA-BNA will be one of the first routes to see the C-series. (Potentially after LGA-DFW). Another Point to Point route I could see DL adding via RJ could be EWR-BNA. (It would annoy UA to no end however I know many many people in the NJ area who fly the route and would rather shlep across the GWB to LGA than jump on the UA direct flight from EWR).

flymco753

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:33 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Why would they need to expand the hold areas? DL has flown 757s on and off to ATL for decades.
That's a per flight basis though, think of having an A321 going to DTW next to a 739 going to LAX in the current configuration, on top of an RJ going to BOS on one side and another going to MSP, there'd be no place to sit.

evank516

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:40 pm

gsg013 wrote:
Agree that NYC-BNA could definitely be allocated a mainline flight at least once a day. The issue I see is that the yield on the flight is fairly high so keeping the RJ allows to cap capacity and keep those yields high. I think in the short term it could go to a 717 and eventually C-Series.

That being said I do believe that LGA-BNA will be one of the first routes to see the C-series. (Potentially after LGA-DFW). Another Point to Point route I could see DL adding via RJ could be EWR-BNA. (It would annoy UA to no end however I know many many people in the NJ area who fly the route and would rather shlep across the GWB to LGA than jump on the UA direct flight from EWR).

One thing to remember though, LGA-BNA is technically not point to point. It's hub to [large] spoke. LGA is a hub for DL. EWR-BNA would definitely be point to point but I don't see DL going up against UA when it's strength is on the right side of the Hudson.

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:47 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

That's a per flight basis though, think of having an A321 going to DTW next to a 739 going to LAX in the current configuration, on top of an RJ going to BOS on one side and another going to MSP, there'd be no place to sit.

OK, but this conversation seems awfully hypothetical. There's no need for 321s to DTW or 739s to LAX.

evank516

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

OK, but this conversation seems awfully hypothetical. There's no need for 321s to DTW or 739s to LAX.

Do the 321s even fly out of DTW? I think the only place worthy of seeing 321s and 739s is ATL.

flymco753

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:22 pm

evank516 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Do the 321s even fly out of DTW? I think the only place worthy of seeing 321s and 739s is ATL.
Yes they do to several destinations, as of right now the station has the second largest of A321 movements outside of ATL and appears to keep that track record through the summer.

flymco753

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

You'd be surprised, I suspect the evening turn that leaves BNA at 6pm would be able to hold it. However I think it would be 2020 earliest that you'd see that happen.

southwest1675

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:28 pm

I also think there’s times when a 757 could do BNA-LAX

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:51 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

You'd be surprised, I suspect the evening turn that leaves BNA at 6pm would be able to hold it. However I think it would be 2020 earliest that you'd see that happen.

Are you talking about DTW or LAX?

flymco753

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

BNA-DTW, sorry for not clarifying. The rest of the aircraft would be 717 of the 6 frequencies.

Cubsrule

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:15 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

BNA-DTW, sorry for not clarifying. The rest of the aircraft would be 717 of the 6 frequencies.

I fly on 17 a lot, most recently the week before last. Empty seats, sometimes even empty rows, are the norm. I can't recall the last time I had someone seated next to me.

EvanWSFO

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:02 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

AA and DL seem to be mirroring each other on BNA-LAX. Both have 738's on the morning flight, 319's on the evening. A 739 to SEA is a big leap from the current 319. With AS going double daily, the 739 might be a little too big.

pdt2f

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:28 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

AA and DL seem to be mirroring each other on BNA-LAX. Both have 738's on the morning flight, 319's on the evening. A 739 to SEA is a big leap from the current 319. With AS going double daily, the 739 might be a little too big.

I may be wrong but I think DL is moving to 738’s to SEA in the summer/fall.

evank516

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:41 pm

pdt2f wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I may be wrong but I think DL is moving to 738’s to SEA in the summer/fall.

It's probably a competitive move. DL has a tendency to do things like that.

Midwestindy

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:25 pm

flymco753 wrote:

Have you ever been to LGA, ORD, DCA or other major airports before? Terminal seating is not abundant to put it mildly, and that is not a major limiting factor for airlines. If airlines want to run larger aircraft to airports, terminal seating likely won't stop them. Considering DL will be running 6x daily 757s on BNA-ATL, they don't seem to be affected....

Ph1l1p

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:53 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Was looking at BNA's maps, and I don't know if this is a mistake, but it has British Airways out of Concourse B https://flynashville.com/im/Pages/Landing.aspx

It’s not a mistake, British Airways will be arriving at A5 and then will be towed to B11 for departure. New painting and markings for B11 are being undertaken this month sometime. Gates in C were looked at, but with the length of time for towing the aircraft to C it just wouldn’t work. Previously the turn was scheduled at 1:30hrs and ideally with towing they would need 2:30hrs, same as a Fort Lauderdale. Originally BA couldn’t extend the time on the ground by much as then it affects the New Orleans flight on its return to Heathrow, so B gates have been decided on as its closer to A. However I believe that they now have a turn of 2:20hrs which gives more leeway for the towing. Passengers will still have to walk from the AA Lounge in C to B for departure though. Nashville will also only ever have the 787-8 as the space at A5 is just too tight for the 787-9

southwest1675

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:18 pm

What gate is Contour and Boutique Air using these days?

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Ph1l1p wrote:
Nashville will also only ever have the 787-8 as the space at A5 is just too tight for the 787-9

Help me with your choice of the word “ever.” Obviously the new IAB will have plenty of room for the 789 (or any other aircraft BA chooses).

Ph1l1p

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Ph1l1p wrote:
Nashville will also only ever have the 787-8 as the space at A5 is just too tight for the 787-9

Help me with your choice of the word “ever.” Obviously the new IAB will have plenty of room for the 789 (or any other aircraft BA chooses).

The present plans for Nashville is that the 787-9 won’t go to on the route, if an aircraft substitution was needed, the space and the tight turns at A5 make it impossible for anything larger. Once the new IAB opens and new stands have been built then who knows, other aircraft could/will be considered, especially if the route does well. But the new IAB is still gong to be a few years away, so for the moment it wiill be the 787-8.

msycajun

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Ph1l1p wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Ph1l1p wrote:

The present plans for Nashville is that the 787-9 won’t go to on the route, if an aircraft substitution was needed, the space and the tight turns at A5 make it impossible for anything larger. Once the new IAB opens and new stands have been built then who knows, other aircraft could/will be considered, especially if the route does well. But the new IAB is still gong to be a few years away, so for the moment it wiill be the 787-8.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out - MSY was announced as a 788, but very frequently sees the 789, even though it's not officially scheduled on the route. I'm not sure how much of that is due to demand or equipment issues. If it's the latter, I hope BNA has a plan to accommodate the 789 or BA may have to cancel flights when the 788 goes tech.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 pm

Ph1l1p wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Ph1l1p wrote:

All quite understandable. A5 is unquestionably tight, but A5 won’t be the gate forever. Hence my question about your word choice.

EvanWSFO

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:07 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Ph1l1p wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

All quite understandable. A5 is unquestionably tight, but A5 won’t be the gate forever. Hence my question about your word choice.

I'm sure if the traffic warrants a 789, BA and MNAA will find a way to get them into A5 until the IAB is built.

ADrum23

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:58 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Ph1l1p wrote:

I'm sure if the traffic warrants a 789, BA and MNAA will find a way to get them into A5 until the IAB is built.

Agreed. I don't see any reason why A5 couldn't handle a 789 or even a 777. It would not be pretty, but it could work. Nonetheless, I don't see BA putting anything bigger than a 788 on BNA-LHR for the foreseeable future. If anything, the flight will go daily before any aircraft upgauges.

The new IAB gates will be able to accommodate aircraft as a large as the 744/8 if necessary.

EvanWSFO

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:54 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Agreed. I don't see any reason why A5 couldn't handle a 789 or even a 777. It would not be pretty, but it could work. Nonetheless, I don't see BA putting anything bigger than a 788 on BNA-LHR for the foreseeable future. If anything, the flight will go daily before any aircraft upgauges.

The new IAB gates will be able to accommodate aircraft as a large as the 744/8 if necessary.

I know HA has put a 332 in there carrying to Oakland Raiders. It's usually a 763, but in the last couple of years it was an Airbus once.

southwest1675

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:27 pm

I figure the BA signage and such will go up pretty soon.

evank516

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:48 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

Who is doing their ground handling? Could it be AA despite them being in another concourse?

southwest1675

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:07 pm

evank516 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Who is doing their ground handling? Could it be AA despite them being in another concourse?

I was told that it wouldn’t be AA as I thought it could possibly be. It’ll probably be ATS or DGS. BA is definitely taking the counter space between DL and AA, and Allegiant will have their ticket counter all the way at the end next to Contour/Boutique

gsg013

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Has anyone booked the BA direct to LHR yet? How have the prices been in Y | W | J? Has anyone seen any good award availability open up for the route? I would assume a typical J fare would be in the $4000-$6000 RT?

EvanWSFO

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 pm

I did a couple dummy bookings in July and August. Club World is coming in at ~$5K RT. No knowledge of rewards.

antoniemey

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:22 am

Cubsrule wrote:

My daily experience as a gate agents says otherwise. The INSTANT there's hint of a delay I usually have 5-10 people pestering me about their hour-plus connections. Even more fun are the people who buy the shortest connection they can and then get worried about it when they check in and see on their boarding pass that their connecting flight is going to start boarding the same time their first flight is scheduled to arrive.

pdt2f

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm

gsg013 wrote:
Has anyone booked the BA direct to LHR yet? How have the prices been in Y | W | J? Has anyone seen any good award availability open up for the route? I would assume a typical J fare would be in the $4000-$6000 RT?

I dummy booked a couple of RT J seats for like September a few weeks back and it was around $10,000. Funny enough I dummy booked a RT to Rome leaving and returning on the same dates, using the BA BNA flight to connect at LHR and it was like $7,500 or so. So two business class seats from LHR to FCO apparently cost -$2,500 if you leave from Nashville ;)

gsg013

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:21 pm

Interesting $10 K RT should help profits if they actually sell most seats at that type of rate. Heck that is similar to a Non-stop NYC-HKG in J or even F on Cathay.

EvanWSFO

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Entice Norwegian to come in. Those fares would drop quickly, but I can't imagine BNA could support two flights to London. I'm still betting on Condor and WOW maybe summer 2019.

dfdubflyer

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Per Twitter it looks like the Interim IAB opened yesterday. We're getting close to BA's first flight!

pdt2f

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Does anyone know the frequency changes that WN is making this summer? I know they’re not adding any new locations until ATL in August but are they increasing or decreasing frequency on any routes?

EvanWSFO

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:02 pm

pdt2f wrote:
Does anyone know the frequency changes that WN is making this summer? I know they’re not adding any new locations until ATL in August but are they increasing or decreasing frequency on any routes?

I'm sure it's been listed somewhere, but not sure. With more gates I'd like to think WN adds frequency to some existing markets. In the past, seems like everytime they add in one market, they take away in another.

pdt2f

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 pm

Has anyone else noticed that F9 is downgrading their DEN service to 4x weekly starting in I believe June? I just don’t get their decision making. They consistently have high pax numbers and load factors out of BNA but you just can’t rely on them to maintain any level of service for any amount of time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos