ADrum23

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:44 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
The IAB would probably get rid of C2, C3, and B1, B2.

That's my guess too. I wish BNA Vision would come out with some detailed pdf's showing what the changes will look like. What little they do have just states the plans. I, and probably a lot of people, would like to see more meat in the plans online.

Same here. If they indeed remove two gates on both B & C to add the six new gates for the IAB, they'll only be adding a net of 8 new gates for the whole project! It seems like BNA will experience a lot of hassle just to add a net of eight gates.....

I hope the new gates in D go primarily to new carriers like NK, G4 and Sun Country and aren't all handed over to WN.

My guess is expanding Concourse A will be revisited post-BNA Vision. I don't know why that was dropped from the plans. Expanding B wasn't necessary, but A I think is.

AAvgeek744

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:59 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
The IAB would probably get rid of C2, C3, and B1, B2.

That's my guess too. I wish BNA Vision would come out with some detailed pdf's showing what the changes will look like. What little they do have just states the plans. I, and probably a lot of people, would like to see more meat in the plans online.

Same here. If they indeed remove two gates on both B & C to add the six new gates for the IAB, they'll only be adding a net of 8 new gates for the whole project! It seems like BNA will experience a lot of hassle just to add a net of eight gates.....

I hope the new gates in D go primarily to new carriers like NK, G4 and Sun Country and aren't all handed over to WN.

My guess is expanding Concourse A will be revisited post-BNA Vision. I don't know why that was dropped from the plans. Expanding B wasn't necessary, but A I think is.

Agreed. A net gain of 8 gates is good, but sooner or later they will need more. I'm not sure AA will grow much, so C will probably remain as is though AA will be short a couple gates during IAB construction. A has to to be made bigger. They have room to push it out towards the I40 exit, then making an L shape out of it. D will be interesting. IF WN decides to grow BNA and shrink ATL, I could see them in D, and new entrants in A. But that would give WN 20 gates to fill.

southwest1675

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:47 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Agreed. A net gain of 8 gates is good, but sooner or later they will need more. I'm not sure AA will grow much, so C will probably remain as is though AA will be short a couple gates during IAB construction. A has to to be made bigger. They have room to push it out towards the I40 exit, then making an L shape out of it. D will be interesting. IF WN decides to grow BNA and shrink ATL, I could see them in D, and new entrants in A. But that would give WN 20 gates to fill.

I really think A might get expanded in the end. I've actually heard rumors that WN would take rest of C, and AA would move into D. It's still very early, but we'll see.

southwest1675

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:07 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
Are the gates in the permanent IAB not swing gates that can be domestic or international? I thought I saw that somewhere because it helps mitigate the top-line gate loss.

I've heard swing gates.

dfdubflyer

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Are the gates in the permanent IAB not swing gates that can be domestic or international? I thought I saw that somewhere because it helps mitigate the top-line gate loss.

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

I've heard swing gates.

I’m confused. Given the airport layout, won’t any gate connected to departures be a swing gate essentially by default?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

dfdubflyer

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:17 pm

They require minor differences in how they are built and laid out than a normal gate, primarily on the ability to hem in intl arriving passengers and prevent them from simply walking out of security. But, yes, for a departing passenger the visually will look pretty similar. When DFW added the swing gates to B it mostly involved connecting them to the IAB via sterile corridor and adding some gates.

https://forum.airportceo.com/t/multifun ... -gates/743

^ I would think that if BNA did something like this with the future gates near the center of the terminal it be looked upon favorably by the main tenant (SWA) would would want the availability to bring in a theoretical international arrival and turn it with a domestic departure at the same gate.

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:17 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
They require minor differences in how they are built and laid out than a normal gate, primarily on the ability to hem in intl arriving passengers and prevent them from simply walking out of security. But, yes, for a departing passenger the visually will look pretty similar. When DFW added the swing gates to B it mostly involved connecting them to the IAB via sterile corridor and adding some gates.

https://forum.airportceo.com/t/multifun ... -gates/743

^ I would think that if BNA did something like this with the future gates near the center of the terminal it be looked upon favorably by the main tenant (SWA) would would want the availability to bring in a theoretical international arrival and turn it with a domestic departure at the same gate.

Any gate that can accommodate a departure is a swing gate by definition, no? Domestic arriving passengers can simply leave through the "departure door."

AAvgeek744

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

I've heard swing gates.

They would really have to be. BNA probably will never reach the point where it needs five dedicated gates for international service.

ADrum23

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 am

southwest1675 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

I really think A might get expanded in the end. I've actually heard rumors that WN would take rest of C, and AA would move into D. It's still very early, but we'll see.

I doubt A gets expanded as part of BNA Vision (as a tag on near the end), but I would not be surprised to see in the first capital plan post-BNA Vision a plan to expand A.

If AA moved to D, they'd need to build a new Admirals Club in D. I doubt that happens. Plus, the new D gates need to be for new airlines. If AA moves to D and WN takes all of C, where will the new airlines go?

ADrum23

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:27 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

I've heard swing gates.

They would really have to be. BNA probably will never reach the point where it needs five dedicated gates for international service.

I agree. The most international service I see BNA getting beyond BA to LHR is an additional TATL flight via WOW or DY, a Central America flight or two (perhaps WN to Costa Rica or Volaris to Mexico) and JL or ANA to NRT. That is it. BNA will never be a global hub of any kind, everything else has easy connections nearby. So any international gates will need to double as domestic gates for the off-peak times.

antoniemey

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 am

ADrum23 wrote:
How many gates does C have overall?

C1 no longer exists and is now a bistro. The highest number is C25. No numbers between 2 and 25 are skipped (though the way the numbering flips between sides of the concourse is odd). 24 gates.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

AAvgeek744

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:56 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I've heard swing gates.

I agree. The most international service I see BNA getting beyond BA to LHR is an additional TATL flight via WOW or DY, a Central America flight or two (perhaps WN to Costa Rica or Volaris to Mexico) and JL or ANA to NRT. That is it. BNA will never be a global hub of any kind, everything else has easy connections nearby. So any international gates will need to double as domestic gates for the off-peak times.

Given their presence, I would like to see WN offer some service to Caribbean destinations, but it seems the market is not there. I should think Nashville can support more than 3 weekly flights to CUN (WN, DL, AA). Maybe not. I didn't live here during the AA hub. Did they fly to SJU when the hub was at it's largest?

HeyHey

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:27 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I've heard swing gates.

Ever? This is a 30-40 year type of a project. I would agree with you if the horizon is 10 years, but when we're talking 30-40 years out then I would disagree. In that time frame Nashville has the potential to be a current day Atlanta-sized metro area that could support a handful of European destinations, a couple Asian destinations, a half dozen latin american destinations, and a half dozen Canadian destinations. Of course, that's assuming we aren't flying transcontinental on Elon Musk's BFR by then. :D

AAvgeek744

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:00 am

HeyHey wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Ever? This is a 30-40 year type of a project. I would agree with you if the horizon is 10 years, but when we're talking 30-40 years out then I would disagree. In that time frame Nashville has the potential to be a current day Atlanta-sized metro area that could support a handful of European destinations, a couple Asian destinations, a half dozen latin american destinations, and a half dozen Canadian destinations. Of course, that's assuming we aren't flying transcontinental on Elon Musk's BFR by then. :D

I gotta disagree. We may grow economically like ATL, but air service will not. Regarding Asia the best hope is JL to NRT. CI nor any other freighter company isn't coming back. As for Europe, Condor and Norwegian + one of the Icelandic carriers are the best bet I do believe BNA-NRT will happen, likely JL. As for Latin America, BNA has one destination - CUN. to think beyond that is at least a years away.

20-40 years down the road, the current terminal, even with the BNA Vision won't likely help. They could introduce a satellite where the current air freight buildi exists. It's that work on a deal to swap sides of the airport with the Air national guard. That stands maybe a .01 % chance of happening.

ADrum23

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:35 pm

HeyHey wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

DL likely won’t add anything because of the close proximity to their flagship ATL hub, AA and UA won’t add anything, so where will these new flights come from?

And to say Nashville could become an Atlanta sized metro in 30-40 years is a stretch. No projections I know of have Nashville getting even close to that level.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:33 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
I didn't live here during the AA hub. Did they fly to SJU when the hub was at it's largest?

Yes, briefly. Both airports were AA hubs at the time.

southwest1675

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:54 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
I didn't live here during the AA hub. Did they fly to SJU when the hub was at it's largest?

I think it was 90-94ish. My old timetables are in my closet.

TYSflyer

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

According to Departed Flights it was operated by a 727. I also noticed that BNA-SFO was operated by MD80 during that time. I didn't know it had the range to operate that flight?

southwest1675

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:14 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

According to Departed Flights it was operated by a 727. I also noticed that BNA-SFO was operated by MD80 during that time. I didn't know it had the range to operate that flight?

I heard SFO was an MD-80. There used to be a 757 that would do LAX-BNA-LGA

TYSflyer

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:07 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Yes, I see a smattering of 757s on the list. It is amazing to look at the breadth of the hub at its peak. Most especially the small markets served. MD80 service to MOB, 6 times daily eagle service on TYS, service to Tuscaloosa just to name a few.

southwest1675

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:46 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

Yes, I see a smattering of 757s on the list. It is amazing to look at the breadth of the hub at its peak. Most especially the small markets served. MD80 service to MOB, 6 times daily eagle service on TYS, service to Tuscaloosa just to name a few.

Those were the days for sure. DFW-BNA would sometimes be used on a DC-10

AAvgeek744

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:07 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Hard to imagine as the drawing down of the hub was almost completed, they were flying Eagle SF3's to places like DTW, PIT, JAX and others.

Cubsrule

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

Hard to imagine as the drawing down of the hub was almost completed, they were flying Eagle SF3's to places like DTW, PIT, JAX and others.

P2P prop service (3C J31s to TRI and ATL) continued well after the hub was drawn down, into the 2000s IINM.

AAvgeek744

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

P2P prop service (3C J31s to TRI and ATL) continued well after the hub was drawn down, into the 2000s IINM.

Yep, I remember the fight over the name 'Corporate Express' became 'Corporate Airlines'.

TYSflyer

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I remember that service well when I used to go to TRI as I loved their outdoor observation deck. Corporate also offered TYS-BNA although it didn't last nearly as long as the above. It seems Southern could make TRI-BNA work given it is about a 4.5 hr drive, but they seem much more focused on EAS routes in the PIT region now.

Cubsrule

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

I remember that service well when I used to go to TRI as I loved their outdoor observation deck. Corporate also offered TYS-BNA although it didn't last nearly as long as the above. It seems Southern could make TRI-BNA work given it is about a 4.5 hr drive, but they seem much more focused on EAS routes in the PIT region now.

Contour is probably the most likely candidate for TRI-BNA, although I don’t expect it.

TYSflyer

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:24 am

Cubsrule wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Contour is probably the most likely candidate for TRI-BNA, although I don’t expect it.

I always forget about Contour, but you're probably right about the likelihood of the route being restarted.

Cubsrule

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:54 am

TYSflyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

I always forget about Contour, but you're probably right about the likelihood of the route being restarted.

The business case really isn’t much different from TUP-BNA, though there is other air service at TRI. I usually have a project or two going up that way at any given time and the drive from Nashville is a slog. Day trips are possible but not fun.

AAvgeek744

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:22 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

The business case really isn’t much different from TUP-BNA, though there is other air service at TRI. I usually have a project or two going up that way at any given time and the drive from Nashville is a slog. Day trips are possible but not fun.

I would have enjoyed flying Southern TRI-TYS-CSV-SYI (sometimes SYI-CSV)-BNA-MKL-MEM on a Martin 404. Not sure if it originated at TRI though.

Capn

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:26 pm

"I would have enjoyed flying Southern TRI-TYS-CSV-SYI (sometimes SYI-CSV)-BNA-MKL-MEM on a Martin 404. Not sure if it originated at TRI though.[/quote]"

There were actually 2 trips
1.was MEM MKL BNA TYS TRI and back,
2. was MEM MKL BNA CSV SYI and back .
I did those runs for a couple of years when I was based in MEM.
Not so much fun, except flying the Martin was a gas. If you could make good landings in the Martin you could land anything.
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

ADrum23

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:27 pm

Does anyone know when the Concourse D project will break ground?

Also, any word on new service? It sure has been quite a while........ when is the next WN extension coming out?

Jshank83

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:47 am

ADrum23 wrote:
when is the next WN extension coming out?

Feb 15

southwest1675

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:54 pm

I would think we'd see something from WN on Feb 15th.

TYSflyer

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Capn wrote:
"I would have enjoyed flying Southern TRI-TYS-CSV-SYI (sometimes SYI-CSV)-BNA-MKL-MEM on a Martin 404. Not sure if it originated at TRI though.
"

Not so much fun, except flying the Martin was a gas. If you could make good landings in the Martin you could land anything.[/quote]
Very interesting. When was this? I seem to vaguely remember hearing CSV had service at one point. I'm very intrigued in this especially given the current landscape of commercial service today.

Capn

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Capn wrote:
"I would have enjoyed flying Southern TRI-TYS-CSV-SYI (sometimes SYI-CSV)-BNA-MKL-MEM on a Martin 404. Not sure if it originated at TRI though.
"

Not so much fun, except flying the Martin was a gas. If you could make good landings in the Martin you could land anything.

Very interesting. When was this? I seem to vaguely remember hearing CSV had service at one point. I'm very intrigued in this especially given the current landscape of commercial service today.[/quote]

I flew those routes 1973-1975,I don't remember how long they continued after that I had transferred to ATL. By the way I'm guessing CSV is Crossville,TN. and SYI was Shelbyville.AL. When we would turn on final to SYI on the evening flt. The airport runway lights would be turned off, they did not want Southern in there, don't know why we never carried anyone it was a subsidy flight.
Bonus round... This Jan.22 was the 45th anniversary of my start at Southern Airways.

AAvgeek744

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Capn wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Capn wrote:
"

Very interesting. When was this? I seem to vaguely remember hearing CSV had service at one point. I'm very intrigued in this especially given the current landscape of commercial service today.

I flew those routes 1973-1975,I don't remember how long they continued after that I had transferred to ATL. By the way I'm guessing CSV is Crossville,TN. and SYI was Shelbyville.AL. When we would turn on final to SYI on the evening flt. The airport runway lights would be turned off, they did not want Southern in there, don't know why we never carried anyone it was a subsidy flight.
Bonus round... This Jan.22 was the 45th anniversary of my start at Southern Airways.[/quote]

TYSflyer, I knew they were different routes, it still would have been fun.

The intra-TN routes were inherited by Southern from Southeast Airlines in the 60s. They dropped the west TN routes but kept the others. Rockwood was originally the stop between BNA and TYS, at some point it moved down the road to CSV. SYI is Shelbyville, TN. It was listed as Shelbyville/Tullahoma. Tullahoma likely due to AEDC, since there were SYI-HSV flights.

Capn

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Sorry I had forgotten it was TN. I think it was called Bowman (sp) Field, and I seem to remember CSV was on a mountain top with wicked crosswinds.
Sorry all I have hijacked the thread with an old mans reminiscing.

AAvgeek744

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Capn wrote:
Sorry I had forgotten it was TN. I think it was called Bowman (sp) Field, and I seem to remember CSV was on a mountain top with wicked crosswinds.
Sorry all I have hijacked the thread with an old mans reminiscing.

Assuming the traffic was driven by NASA/AEDC, I have always wondered why they used the Shelbyville airport. Tullahoma was about the same size. I have really old home movies my dad took at an Airshow, and there was a DL DC-7 and EA Electra there.

Capn

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Feel free to PM me, love chatting.

ADrum23

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:01 am

Woah, has anyone seen this? It is the draft Environmental Assessment for BNA Vision.

http://bnavisionnashville.com/site/web/assets/2017/01/BNA-Vision-Draft-Enviromental-Assessment-for-Public-Review-and-Comment.pdf

It gives some interesting details as to exactly how BNA Vision will be implemented (including some illustrations). Here are some takeaways.

1. Apparently, the new IAB (called "Concourse T" tentatively) will remove THREE gates from BOTH Concourses B and C, thus, a net of only six new gates will be added (basically, the ones in Concourse D).

2. It appears Concourses B and C will be renovated to coincide with the construction of the IAB and the corresponding removal of the three gates. B will also be widened to accommodate larger aircraft.

3. Part of Concourse A will be reconstructed, straightened and slightly extended to the north once the current IAB is demolished, but the number of gates will remain the same for now (they did hint they may add new gates in the future).

They claim in the assessment that only 47 gates will be needed by 2031. This project will only add a net of 6 gates, bringing the total to around 50/51 (are there currently 44 or 45 gates available).

I don't know, is this plan too conservative, or is it just right? I just hope they allow for flexibility to add more gates in the future.

Ramprat212

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Woah, has anyone seen this? It is the draft Environmental Assessment for BNA Vision.

http://bnavisionnashville.com/site/web/assets/2017/01/BNA-Vision-Draft-Enviromental-Assessment-for-Public-Review-and-Comment.pdf

It gives some interesting details as to exactly how BNA Vision will be implemented (including some illustrations). Here are some takeaways.

1. Apparently, the new IAB (called "Concourse T" tentatively) will remove THREE gates from BOTH Concourses B and C, thus, a net of only six new gates will be added (basically, the ones in Concourse D).

2. It appears Concourses B and C will be renovated to coincide with the construction of the IAB and the corresponding removal of the three gates. B will also be widened to accommodate larger aircraft.

3. Part of Concourse A will be reconstructed, straightened and slightly extended to the north once the current IAB is demolished, but the number of gates will remain the same for now (they did hint they may add new gates in the future).

They claim in the assessment that only 47 gates will be needed by 2031. This project will only add a net of 6 gates, bringing the total to around 50/51 (are there currently 44 or 45 gates available).

I don't know, is this plan too conservative, or is it just right? I just hope they allow for flexibility to add more gates in the future.

I think they should renovate the gates at the end of the B concourse and make them all common use I think there is enough room to make 4 or 5 gate down there, than move Jetblue, Alaska, Air Canada, Westjet and frontier. all these airlines have are a couple of flights a day I think it’s very manageable, that would in turn free up Gates B6,B8 and 1 gate in A

Capn

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

"I would have enjoyed flying Southern TRI-TYS-CSV-SYI (sometimes SYI-CSV)-BNA-MKL-MEM on a Martin 404. Not sure if it originated at TRI though.[/quote]"

The above was actually a quote from AAVgeek744
I messed up when I tried to quote him

Not so much fun, except flying the Martin was a gas. If you could make good landings in the Martin you could land anything.[/quote]

AAvgeek744

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Capn wrote:
"

Not so much fun, except flying the Martin was a gas. If you could make good landings in the Martin you could land anything.[/quote][/quote]

The topic peaked my interest so I pulled a few of my SO timetables (I have at least 60). From the sampling from 5 TT's, CSV wasn't in any turn to SYI and MEM. The only instance I could find of any direct flight from those two small stations was a MEM-HSV-SYI and back. Over the years, sometimes CSV had n/s to TYS/BNA, sometimes it was via SYI and v.v I suspect lots of different routings for a/c positioning. I grew up in a small town near Crossville, and wondered why they had airline service and we didn't. I did get to see a 404 taking off on the way to Lake Tansi, I have no idea what year but sometime after 1967, when I took my commercial flight and got the enthusiast bug.

Capn

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:48 pm

I can't be sure but you made think back, it may have been

BNA CSV BNA or on to TYS
and another BNA SYI back to BNA.
I believe we did 2 trips a day to SYI a day turn and an RON.
I also seem to remember we carried Boy Scout troops as a day trip and back once a month as a treat provided by BNA or SYI since the flights were subsidized. I believe they did this once a month, those were some pretty excited kids.
This along with the 2 TRI flights
In later years I member doing MEM MKL BNA TYS TRI on the DC-9,a turn and an illegal Ron ((no legal break @ 5 hours). Those were ball busters

TYSflyer

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
Capn wrote:
"

[/quote]

The topic peaked my interest so I pulled a few of my SO timetables (I have at least 60). From the sampling from 5 TT's, CSV wasn't in any turn to SYI and MEM. The only instance I could find of any direct flight from those two small stations was a MEM-HSV-SYI and back. Over the years, sometimes CSV had n/s to TYS/BNA, sometimes it was via SYI and v.v I suspect lots of different routings for a/c positioning. I grew up in a small town near Crossville, and wondered why they had airline service and we didn't. I did get to see a 404 taking off on the way to Lake Tansi, I have no idea what year but sometime after 1967, when I took my commercial flight and got the enthusiast bug.[/quote]

This is so interesting to me as it was a time period I never got to experience (I was born in the 80s). My dad used to tell me stories about 5-10 minute plane flights and airport hopping in West Virginia for 4-5 stops before you would eventually travel on to your destination. I tried to do some google searching on these Southern routes in Tennessee. The only thing I found very helpful was their Wikipedia page for whatever that is worth. It had all the destinations referenced that you all have discussed and also had Morristown oddly enough listed. Thanks for all these stories. @capn I have thoroughly enjoyed your insight too. Sorry to the BNA folks on digressing on your thread. I guess this ties in to historical service somewhat for BNA.

DakotaFlyer

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 pm

I was born in the early 80's and grew up near SYI. I remember vaguely stories from my parents and their peers about school children taking rides on Southern Airways as part of school activity. Can you imagine such a thing happening today?!

AAvgeek744

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 pm

By the time the Metroliners came along and before the merger with NC the only smallish destinations left were MKL and TRI.

Capn

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:56 pm

Hey guys I love talking about this stuff and hope to get PMs I know I'm pushing my luck going on and on, on this thread
I will say this, there were 10 guys in my 1-22-73 class at Southern,9 made it through training and are all happily retired, in fact one retired on the. 744 and was # 1 at DL. when he retired a couple of years ago.
If three are any ex Southern Airways, or Republic pilots on this thread, I would love hearing from them.
Thanks

ADrum23

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:32 am

I wonder what the feasibility would be of expanding B (long-term) into an L shaped Concourse similar to C to provide more gates?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos