Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ADrum23

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:46 am

Ramprat212 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Is it confirmed that BA will be using the B Concourse for departure? I wonder when they'll start putting up the signage.

I doubt it, they’ve admitted B can’t handle anything larger than a 737/A321. How can they fit a 787 wide body in there?

I’m pretty sure it will depart from C. I’ll actually be flying out of BNA on that friday of the inaugural flight (May 4th), but my plane leaves at 10 am so I’ll miss seeing it by a few hours. However, I’m sure there will be decorations set up by where it will depart, so I should be able to tell.

B11-I think read something about on this tread about using a B gate to keep towing to a minimum

But B can’t accomedate anything bigger than a 737 according to MNAA. I heard C11 is where it may go.

EvanWSFO

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 am

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Is it confirmed that BA will be using the B Concourse for departure? I wonder when they'll start putting up the signage.

I doubt it, they’ve admitted B can’t handle anything larger than a 737/A321. How can they fit a 787 wide body in there?

I’m pretty sure it will depart from C. I’ll actually be flying out of BNA on that friday of the inaugural flight (May 4th), but my plane leaves at 10 am so I’ll miss seeing it by a few hours. However, I’m sure there will be decorations set up by where it will depart, so I should be able to tell.

The airport website indicates BA on concourse B. As with all airlines, it doesn't indicate which gate. Oddly it doesn't show them on A, but that the arrival there is assumed I think. I looked for a booking in June, and the turnaround is 2:20. That's longer than the original schedule announcement.

Brings up the question - from comments on this thread, B had one gate and it seemed to be going to G4. Curious how they will work the gate utilization on B for a single daily flight. G4 isn't going to use a wide-body gate.

southwest1675

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 pm

The end of B doesn’t have room at all. C11 has had the 787 marking since the flight was announced. B10 is the only empty gate. Most likely going to be used by G4. Plus the Admirals Club is a few feet from C11

southwest1675

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 pm

I forgot to mention that Contour and Boutique share B11.

AviationGeek78

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 pm

BA will be a B-11. Contour and Boutique have both been moved to B-9 effective yesterday.

southwest1675

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:53 pm

AviationGeek78 wrote:
BA will be a B-11. Contour and Boutique have both been moved to B-9 effective yesterday.

Did Delta give up B9?

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:18 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Ramprat212 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

B11-I think read something about on this tread about using a B gate to keep towing to a minimum

But B can’t accomedate anything bigger than a 737 according to MNAA. I heard C11 is where it may go.

I think we’ve been over this but B has had 757 service on and off forever. They usually park at B5.

ADrum23

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:25 pm

AviationGeek78 wrote:

Do you know this for a fact? If so, this is surprising, considering B isn’t where AA and the admirals club is and MNAA’s statement about B being too small for anything larger than a 737.

ADrum23

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Ramprat212 wrote:

I think we’ve been over this but B has had 757 service on and off forever. They usually park at B5.

Then MNAA was misleading in the EIS. B doesn’t really need to be widened if it can accommodate this.

AviationGeek78

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:50 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:

Do you know this for a fact? If so, this is surprising, considering B isn’t where AA and the admirals club is and MNAA’s statement about B being too small for anything larger than a 737.

I do know this for fact. B-11 can accommodate as it is on the corner of B. I didn't think it was possible either at first, however, I have seen the re-drawn lines and it works. Contour and Boutique have been given 2 positions B-9A and B-9B. Neither airline have RON and that is all Delta will use it for. I am sure there will be some growing pains in the beginning as Delta will need to vacate the gate by 7am.

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:36 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Then MNAA was misleading in the EIS. B doesn’t really need to be widened if it can accommodate this.

B could and can accommodate a 757 if the gauge of the other aircraft is small. For much the pre-merger 2000s, ATL was the only city that saw DL mainline. A typical lineup was the CRJs/CR7s to CVG at B3, the mainline to ATL at B5, and whatever else they were running at that moment (SLC/NYC) at B7. With mainline, especially larger mainline, at B3, the holdroom really isn't sufficient for a 757 at B5.

ADrum23

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 pm

AviationGeek78 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:

I do know this for fact. B-11 can accommodate as it is on the corner of B. I didn't think it was possible either at first, however, I have seen the re-drawn lines and it works. Contour and Boutique have been given 2 positions B-9A and B-9B. Neither airline have RON and that is all Delta will use it for. I am sure there will be some growing pains in the beginning as Delta will need to vacate the gate by 7am.

Why isn't BA departing from C in the AA gates? After all, AA is their Alliance/JV partner and that is where the Admirals Club is located (which I know people using this flight will want to use).

This really doesn't make any sense.......

EvanWSFO

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:52 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Why isn't BA departing from C in the AA gates? After all, AA is their Alliance/JV partner and that is where the Admirals Club is located (which I know people using this flight will want to use).

I guess we'll find out soon enough. If employees at the airport are seeing indications that the flight will depart off B, it most likely will. The BNA website shows them on B. Just because there is an Admirals Club on C, it doesn't mean they have to depart from C. It's easily a <10 minute walk from the lounge to the end of B. I don't see why it's a big deal. It's temporary. When the IAB is com p0lete, the departure will be closer to C.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm excited about the service. I'll watch it's inaugural arrival.

AviationGeek78

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:20 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:

I guess we'll find out soon enough. If employees at the airport are seeing indications that the flight will depart off B, it most likely will. The BNA website shows them on B. Just because there is an Admirals Club on C, it doesn't mean they have to depart from C. It's easily a <10 minute walk from the lounge to the end of B. I don't see why it's a big deal. It's temporary. When the IAB is com p0lete, the departure will be closer to C.

We have to remember that AA just gave up C-13/14 to SWA. This decision very well may be due to AA gate constraints at that time of day as the RONs are beginning to roll in at that point. In addition to taxi from the current IAB to B-11 is much easier from a logistical stand point. The flight is for a fact going out of B-11.

EvanWSFO

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:30 pm

It would get interesting if one of the Icelandic carriers an/or Condor announces. I think the lack of space might keep them out unless they do an in and out before or after the BA 788 rolls in. The loss of two gates each on B and C for the permanent FIS makes it imperative that D gets built ASAP. I can see some temporary gate shuffling until this plan is built out to completion.

pdt2f

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:54 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
It would get interesting if one of the Icelandic carriers an/or Condor announces. I think the lack of space might keep them out unless they do an in and out before or after the BA 788 rolls in. The loss of two gates each on B and C for the permanent FIS makes it imperative that D gets built ASAP. I can see some temporary gate shuffling until this plan is built out to completion.

Or Norwegian to LGW. Some sort of low fare option to Europe should definitely be on the to-do list. I love the BA service but for leisure travelers it’s just a little pricy to choose it over cheaper options connecting in ATL, EWR, DTW, DFW, etc.

pdt2f

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:56 pm

AviationGeek78 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

We have to remember that AA just gave up C-13/14 to SWA. This decision very well may be due to AA gate constraints at that time of day as the RONs are beginning to roll in at that point. In addition to taxi from the current IAB to B-11 is much easier from a logistical stand point. The flight is for a fact going out of B-11.

I’m not complaining because I much prefer WN to AA, but why did the two gates in C go to WN? Was it AA or MNAA that made the decision?

pdt2f

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:30 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:

I’m not complaining because I much prefer WN to AA, but why did the two gates in C go to WN? Was it AA or MNAA that made the decision?

It’s been rumored that WN is ready to take BNA to the next step, and increase service overall. That obviously includes new destinations. They wanted the capacity

That’d be great! Hopefully their next schedule extension has some nice treats for us. Isn’t it like May 5 or something?

southwest1675

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:30 pm

pdt2f wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

It’s been rumored that WN is ready to take BNA to the next step, and increase service overall. That obviously includes new destinations. They wanted the capacity

EvanWSFO

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:53 pm

pdt2f wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Or Norwegian to LGW. Some sort of low fare option to Europe should definitely be on the to-do list. I love the BA service but for leisure travelers it’s just a little pricy to choose it over cheaper options connecting in ATL, EWR, DTW, DFW, etc.

Norwegian would be a wild card. I'm not certain Nashville can support two flights (albeit not daily yet) to London. While my personal preference would be Icelandair, I would bet on WOW coming to Nashville forst. I can see Condor doing 3-4x weekly in summer to FRA.. They've been adding a city or two each year.

EvanWSFO

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:

How many gates is AA using in C now?

southwest1675

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

How many gates is AA using in C now?

C2 as overflow, C3, C5, C6, C8, C10, C11, C12

ADrum23

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:51 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Norwegian would be a wild card. I'm not certain Nashville can support two flights (albeit not daily yet) to London. While my personal preference would be Icelandair, I would bet on WOW coming to Nashville forst. I can see Condor doing 3-4x weekly in summer to FRA.. They've been adding a city or two each year.

The MNAA CEO recently said the airport is getting close to landing an Iceland flight, so we'll see. I wouldn't be shocked to see DE come in, considering they added AUS and MSY shortly after getting their BA service. I hope DY stays as far as they can from BNA (for now), but I don't see them being interesting unless the BA flight becomes successful (i.e, it goes daily and perhaps even upgauged like AUS).

ADrum23

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:58 pm

pdt2f wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Considering BNA is a mere spoke for AA now, there really isn't a need for any more gates than they have now (7 plus over overflow that is shared with WN).

As far as the gating of the BA flight, I'm now thinking maybe the reason it will board at B11 as opposed to C11 is because of the "merton's hole" (the big deep hole in the middle of the apron) and the difficulty it may be to tow the plane around that from the current IAB. Perhaps after they fill in the hole (have they started on this yet?) and construct the apron expansion, it will be more feasible to board at C11 (or whenever AA may be once BNA Vision is completed).

FA9295

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:46 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:

Hopefully this will include BNA-PDX. Long overdue.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
AviationGeek78 wrote:

Considering BNA is a mere spoke for AA now, there really isn't a need for any more gates than they have now (7 plus over overflow that is shared with WN).

As far as the gating of the BA flight, I'm now thinking maybe the reason it will board at B11 as opposed to C11 is because of the "merton's hole" (the big deep hole in the middle of the apron) and the difficulty it may be to tow the plane around that from the current IAB. Perhaps after they fill in the hole (have they started on this yet?) and construct the apron expansion, it will be more feasible to board at C11 (or whenever AA may be once BNA Vision is completed).

The hole could be a factor, but they towed AA’s LGW flight from A5 to either C11 or C12 no problem back in the day.

ADrum23

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 am

southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

The hole could be a factor, but they towed AA’s LGW flight from A5 to either C11 or C12 no problem back in the day.

Yet another reason this gating doesn't make sense. Was the 762 used on that route smaller than the 788 or about the same size?

Btw, have they started filling the hole yet? If so, maybe the construction (on both the apron expansion and the terminal) will block some of the paths and will make it difficult for a widebody aircraft to navigate through.

cvgComair

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:31 am

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Yet another reason this gating doesn't make sense. Was the 762 used on that route smaller than the 788 or about the same size?

Btw, have they started filling the hole yet? If so, maybe the construction (on both the apron expansion and the terminal) will block some of the paths and will make it difficult for a widebody aircraft to navigate through.

The 762 is quite a bit smaller than the 787. The 762 is about 10 meters (~20 ft) shorter in length and width, plus it only holds 181 pax vs 242 on the 788.

runner13

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 am

No they have not. I have heard there are some environmental studies still taking place. Don't quote me on this though.

EvanWSFO

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:47 am

southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

A couple years ago, a friend of mine flew into BNA for the first time. After meeting her in baggage claim, her first words were not "Hello!", they were "Why is there a big hole in the middle of your airport?" :bouncy:

southwest1675

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

A couple years ago, a friend of mine flew into BNA for the first time. After meeting her in baggage claim, her first words were not "Hello!", they were "Why is there a big hole in the middle of your airport?" :bouncy:

I kinda wonder why it wasn't filled in 30 years ago when the terminal opened.

dronezone

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:43 pm

How many gates will the new D concourse be adding?

southwest1675

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:48 pm

dronezone wrote:
How many gates will the new D concourse be adding?

6 is what is currently proposed.

pdt2f

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:16 pm

Anyone have any idea of how F9’s TTN service has been doing, as far as load factors and future bookings? I know it just recently started but it always seemed like such a random route, and struck me as one of those classic Frontier routes that would be cancelled after a week or two.

southwest1675

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:10 pm

I was in the round about in downtown Franklin, and there’s some sign outside Mellow Mushroom promoting the new BA service.

ADrum23

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:52 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I was in the round about in downtown Franklin, and there’s some sign outside Mellow Mushroom promoting the new BA service.

I'll need to check that out when I'm downtown on Sunday.

pdt2f

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:42 pm

I was at the airport earlier and there seems to be a bunch of heavy earthmoving equipment working away on the taxiway directly in front of FedEx, running alongside 2L-20R. Anyone know what they’re up to?

southwest1675

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:05 pm

UA adding mainline to IAD this Fall. Starts in October I believe

ADrum23

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:42 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
UA adding mainline to IAD this Fall. Starts in October I believe

It starts August 21st from what I can tell. I don't know whether it is seasonal or not, UA seems to be pretty erratic with mainline upgauging.

pdt2f

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Looks like a daily there-and-back 319. Maybe they’re trying to ease EWR and ORD a little, or maybe their business travelers were sick of regional jets.

southwest1675

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:39 am

Heard from a source that WN management at BNA is sure they'll operate out of the new D Concourse. If true, this will shake things up a bit.

ADrum23

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Heard from a source that WN management at BNA is sure they'll operate out of the new D Concourse. If true, this will shake things up a bit.

Will they operate out of all the gates, or just some of them?

pdt2f

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:14 am

southwest1675 wrote:

I wouldn’t be opposed to them getting all of D. I mean, they use their gates like crazy. We’ve got almost every reasonable domestic carrier (except obviously NK), so I’m not really worried about needing to attract new carriers with the new gates. If WN adds locations and frequency (150+ flights per day) I’m cool with them taking over D.

ADrum23

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 am

pdt2f wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I wouldn’t be opposed to them getting all of D. I mean, they use their gates like crazy. We’ve got almost every reasonable domestic carrier (except obviously NK), so I’m not really worried about needing to attract new carriers with the new gates. If WN adds locations and frequency (150+ flights per day) I’m cool with them taking over D.

Good point, but I think they'd need to commit to making BNA a superstation (DEN, HOU, DAL, MDW, BWI, etc) before giving them all of the gates. I still would like to see NK come in at some point and unless they acquire a carrier like F9, they'd need a gate.

pdt2f

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:28 am

ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Good point, but I think they'd need to commit to making BNA a superstation (DEN, HOU, DAL, MDW, BWI, etc) before giving them all of the gates. I still would like to see NK come in at some point and unless they acquire a carrier like F9, they'd need a gate.

Aren’t the IAB gates going to be flex most of the time? Maybe they could set up shop there at some point, with the understanding that they would need to work to find another gate ASAP.

southwest1675

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:34 am

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I'm not sure, but when I think of it, we do have all the current carriers we'd ever get. I see NK, Condor, and an Iceland carrier. Then one day, I think we'll see a JAL 787 sitting at the new snazzy IAB. I do believe the new IAB will be flexible. I am not opposed to seeing Southwest take all of D. BNA very much so has potential to be a mega station. For the mean time, G4 will use B10, and B11 will be common use between BA, seasonal Condor, and the eventual Iceland flight that the BNA CEO says we're probably gonna get. Another possibility is that AA's overflow gate, C2 could be picked up by a new carrier until the new IAB is built.

ADrum23

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:37 am

southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I'm not sure, but when I think of it, we do have all the current carriers we'd ever get. I see NK, Condor, and an Iceland carrier. Then one day, I think we'll see a JAL 787 sitting at the new snazzy IAB. I do believe the new IAB will be flexible. I am not opposed to seeing Southwest take all of D. BNA very much so has potential to be a mega station.

If WN wants to compete with DL in ATL and AA in CLT, then they need to make BNA a BWI/MDW level superstation. If they'd commit to doing that, if I were MNAA, I'd give them all of C and D and then construct a 11 gate addition onto B where AA would move to (along with the Admirals Club). That would bring the airport to 60 overall gates and we'd have 4 open gates in the B extension for new carriers (in addition to the swing IAB gates).

southwest1675

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:46 am

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

I'm not sure, but when I think of it, we do have all the current carriers we'd ever get. I see NK, Condor, and an Iceland carrier. Then one day, I think we'll see a JAL 787 sitting at the new snazzy IAB. I do believe the new IAB will be flexible. I am not opposed to seeing Southwest take all of D. BNA very much so has potential to be a mega station.

If WN wants to compete with DL in ATL and AA in CLT, then they need to make BNA a BWI/MDW level superstation. If they'd commit to doing that, if I were MNAA, I'd give them all of C and D and then construct a 11 gate addition onto B where AA would move to (along with the Admirals Club). That would bring the airport to 60 overall gates and we'd have 4 open gates in the B extension for new carriers (in addition to the swing IAB gates).

I agree with this 100%, and I actually hope this happens. Back when the the AirTran merger was taking shape, I heard ATL slowed things down for BNA a little bit. I wonder if Southwest is truly committed to Atlanta. They started off not too hot there, I wonder how they're doing today.

ADrum23

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:36 am

southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I agree with this 100%, and I actually hope this happens. Back when the the AirTran merger was taking shape, I heard ATL slowed things down for BNA a little bit. I wonder if Southwest is truly committed to Atlanta. They started off not too hot there, I wonder how they're doing today.

WN is smaller at ATL than AirTran was back in the day, they've reduced flights and destinations. Because the product is so different, I think WN has found it hard to compete with the ultramega (oversized) DL hub. If I were WN, I'd maintain what they have in ATL, but focus all future growth on BNA. Giving them all of C and D would give then 25 gates, equivalent to what they have in DEN, PHX, LAS, etc. That would be enough for 200+ flights.

In seriousness, I do wonder what the plan is for future gate expansion beyond BNA Vision. The only places they could add gates would be on the end of A or by turning B into an L shaped concourse. I guess we'll have to wait until the next master plan comes out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos