ADrum23

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Sat May 05, 2018 1:45 am

tys777 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
I was able to talk to Doug for a few minutes. Great guy. Seems like we got a good dude running our airport. He told me he can't say much regarding BNA vision as of now, but he said PDX and an Iceland flight are most likely to come this year. He couldn't give any details.

Eh, I'm worried an Iceland flight will affect the BA service. I'd need to see it become daily first before actively seeking additional TATL service.

What about TPAC service? Did he mention anything about what the airport is pursuing in that regard?

I think if it was WOW, that BA service would be fine, I'd venture a guess that they are capturing a different set of passengers for the most part. The other day, I was pricing out BNA to LON and for the most part a connection was cheaper than the non-stop. I think the price conscious customers that would take the cheaper connection in order to save a few bucks will be what the Iceland Carriers would capture imo

Maybe, but WW offers a lot of cheap connections to Europe that would be pretty attractive regardless of your budget, so it could affect the BA loads. Idk, I really want to see the BA service go daily, and WW or FI could prevent that from happening.

RamblinMan

Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 am

I don't think the BA flight and a hypothetical less-than-daily WOW flight would be each others' closest competitors. The Iceland flight would be targeting those who will already be taking cheaper connecting options through ORD or DTW rather than the BA flight. BA can charge a premium for a nonstop for the local market, and fill up the back with connections including Eastern Europe, India, and Africa...none of which WOW can offer.

I don't see TPAC happening. LHR is part of a pattern of BA expanding into midsize North American markets. Who on the Asia side has been doing that? Plus BNA-NRT would be about 60% longer than BNA-LHR, pushing it well into the "long-and-thin" category.

pdt2f

Sat May 05, 2018 2:21 am

tys777 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
I was able to talk to Doug for a few minutes. Great guy. Seems like we got a good dude running our airport. He told me he can't say much regarding BNA vision as of now, but he said PDX and an Iceland flight are most likely to come this year. He couldn't give any details.

Eh, I'm worried an Iceland flight will affect the BA service. I'd need to see it become daily first before actively seeking additional TATL service.

What about TPAC service? Did he mention anything about what the airport is pursuing in that regard?

I think if it was WOW, that BA service would be fine, I'd venture a guess that they are capturing a different set of passengers for the most part. The other day, I was pricing out BNA to LON and for the most part a connection was cheaper than the non-stop. I think the price conscious customers that would take the cheaper connection in order to save a few bucks will be what the Iceland Carriers would capture imo

Exactly. I personally would rather transfer to Europe from Iceland than from CLT or ATL just because of the novelty of it, so it is exactly the kind of flight I would be into. I don’t travel for business so the BA flight, being more expensive than other options to LHR, I look at primarily as a means to connect to other spots in Europe.

ADrum23

Sat May 05, 2018 2:25 am

RamblinMan wrote:
I don't think the BA flight and a hypothetical less-than-daily WOW flight would be each others' closest competitors. The Iceland flight would be targeting those who will already be taking cheaper connecting options through ORD or DTW rather than the BA flight. BA can charge a premium for a nonstop for the local market, and fill up the back with connections including Eastern Europe, India, and Africa...none of which WOW can offer.

I don't see TPAC happening. LHR is part of a pattern of BA expanding into midsize North American markets. Who on the Asia side has been doing that? Plus BNA-NRT would be about 60% longer than BNA-LHR, pushing it well into the "long-and-thin" category.

Yes, but the Nashville to Europe market is unproven as of right now, so any competition could be detrimental. Give the BA service a year or so to mature and see how the loads are before seeking out another flight.

TPAC service will happen, but it won't be until the 2020's (my guess is sometime shortly after the new IAB building is open around 2023/2024ish). One of the Asian carriers at some point is going to experiment with a TPAC service to a mid-sized market such as AUS/BNA/RDU/IND, etc, and once they do it, the TPAC craze will begin in full.

RamblinMan

Sat May 05, 2018 2:56 am

BA will have a year...It'll be a year before any WW flight starts. Too late to announce for this summer, they don't have the planes anyhow. They wouldn't launch it in the winter, so I'd anticipate an announcement this fall and 3x weekly beginning mid-May 2019. If it happens.

If you mean TPAC in ten years...sure, anything can happen in that timeframe. But the comment about the airport CEO and incentives implies we're talking about the next 24 months, and it ain't happening.

sevenfeet

Sat May 05, 2018 3:57 am

The BNA->LHR flight left Nashville about 40 minutes behind schedule due to some crew and ground staff credentialing issues but they were straightened out. I attended the ceremony as a guest of airport operations but was not on the maiden voyage. A number of my friends were on the flight including long time friend and A.netter BNAtraveler. He and his husband are much more frequent travelers than myself and have literally been all over the world several times. The Fisk Jubilee Singers were the featured musical guest.

The 787 dwarfs everything else that flies into BNA...I missed the first landing unfortunately. Right now it unloads at a modified gate at the end of A terminal where customers is located and then is tugged a short distance over to the end of B terminal for loading of new passengers. A new customs exit was constructed that releases passengers behind baggage claim #9 that used to be where the Delta lost baggage office was (that was recently moved).

As for the future, the airport is hopeful that dominoes will fall after this flight has been up and running for a while. I got a chance to speak to Governor Haslem again and he reiterated that he'd love to see a Japan flight at some point (we have Bridgestone and Nissan US HQs here)...it's still in discussion but not something anyone would consider "close". A new dedicated terminal is slated to by built which will have enough room for 6 large jets but it will be a while before that's finished.

southwest1675

Sat May 05, 2018 4:04 am

I saw the flight arrive from the Observation area. It was packed.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sat May 05, 2018 1:32 pm

How many casualties from the hot chicken experiment?

SunsetLimited

Sat May 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Happy for my friends at BNA. This brings back memories of the MSY inaugural from last year when I climbed the roof to get pictures lol

I’ve no doubt that the BNA service will be a success and I expect a frequency upgrade shortly.
Spread hope like fire.

southwest1675

Sat May 05, 2018 1:57 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Happy for my friends at BNA. This brings back memories of the MSY inaugural from last year when I climbed the roof to get pictures lol

I’ve no doubt that the BNA service will be a success and I expect a frequency upgrade shortly.

I believe it should do well too. I also think BNA will follow the footsteps of MSY and AUS and get seasonal service to FRA on Condor.

dfdubflyer

Sat May 05, 2018 2:01 pm

I saw some great pics and videos on Twitter. Amazing to see that beautiful bird touching down at my home airport! Very proud.

Let’s all hope the service is successful, matures, taken daily, upguagued, and serves as an example of our region’s strength to other carriers!

ADrum23

Sat May 05, 2018 2:18 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I believe it should do well too. I also think BNA will follow the footsteps of MSY and AUS and get seasonal service to FRA on Condor.

If FI or WW come, then DE probably wouldn't view BNA as a attractive option though.

EvanWSFO

Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 pm

I expect more service, one of the Icelandic carriers and Condor. The issue is where are they going to put them. Unless they time a flight around BA, any European carrier is going to have to fight for gate space. That's why we need JL :airplane:

southwest1675

Sat May 05, 2018 3:16 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
I expect more service, one of the Icelandic carriers and Condor. The issue is where are they going to put them. Unless they time a flight around BA, any European carrier is going to have to fight for gate space. That's why we need JL :airplane:

B10 would be common use with G4 if someone else really wanted to come here.

pdt2f

Sat May 05, 2018 3:34 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

I just can’t imagine eating hot chicken in economy on an 8 hour flight. Like I typically want lighter fare on a long flight but I’m not not going to accept hot chicken so I would just be bloated and in pain the whole flight.

EvanWSFO

Sat May 05, 2018 8:05 pm

pdt2f wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

I just can’t imagine eating hot chicken in economy on an 8 hour flight. Like I typically want lighter fare on a long flight but I’m not not going to accept hot chicken so I would just be bloated and in pain the whole flight.

Yeah, eating (and the gastric attack afterwards) on a metal tube hurtling through the air would not be pleasant for the one eating, but most likely anyone nearby.

Cubsrule

Sat May 05, 2018 8:39 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

Yeah, eating (and the gastric attack afterwards) on a metal tube hurtling through the air would not be pleasant for the one eating, but most likely anyone nearby.

I do have to say that back when the food truck in Terminal 4 at LAX was Kogi, I slept really well on red eyes after lots of kimchi. Maybe my neighbors weren’t as content as I was, but that’s a different matter.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

southwest1675

Sun May 06, 2018 1:19 am

I learned that BA couldn’t depart from C anyways. C11 would be too small for a 787. The wingspan is much longer than a 767. It’d be taking up C10 and C12.

Indy

Sun May 06, 2018 5:12 pm

I am surprised there haven't been a number of pics posted here yet of the LHR flight. Can someone link to some pics and videos (other than the one on Facebook of the flight landing). Thanks.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

TYSflyer

Sun May 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Indy wrote:
I am surprised there haven't been a number of pics posted here yet of the LHR flight. Can someone link to some pics and videos (other than the one on Facebook of the flight landing). Thanks.

Yeah I agree. I went to their local newspaper too and it only had a couple of pics as well. There seemed to be a ton of coverage but a paucity of pictures of the plane. Maybe us aviation nuts were the only ones that noticed that.

Indy

Sun May 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Here is a pretty good video I found on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWT1mymTQ_o
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

TYSflyer

Sun May 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Indy wrote:
Here is a pretty good video I found on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWT1mymTQ_o

Nice! That is what I’ve been looking for. Thanks for finding that! I’m assuming this is the BNA observation area? Oddly enough the airport doesn’t look that busy at that moment with only a handful of planes at the terminal.

EvanWSFO

Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 pm

No water cannon salute?

NolaMD88fan

Sun May 06, 2018 11:55 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
No water cannon salute?

The same thing happened with the inaugural at MSY last March. BA specifically requested there be no water cannon salute.

dfdubflyer

Mon May 07, 2018 12:36 am

The Admirals Club on C will be staying open an extra hour the 5 nights a week there’s a BA departure they told me tonight

kingcavalier

Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 am

During the big terminal remodel there will be no connector walkway between A/B and C. The central consolidated checkpoint will split back into two separate checkpoints, one serving A/B and the other serving C. This will certainly complicate things for BA passenger’s ease of access to the admirals club. Once construction is complete on the Grand Ole Lobby the checkpoint will revert back to one checkpoint serving all concourses.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

EvanWSFO

Mon May 07, 2018 1:39 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
No water cannon salute?

The same thing happened with the inaugural at MSY last March. BA specifically requested there be no water cannon salute.

That's interesting...thanks.

ADrum23

Mon May 07, 2018 2:06 am

Couple of observations from my recent to BNA this weekend.

1. I was dead wrong about the parking, it's probably better that they are doing it first. So to whom I said parking is not as big of a priority as the terminal, I'm sorry.

2. Nonetheless, they desperately need to get going on the terminal expansion (particularly the construction of D) and access road improvements. I couldn't believe how crowded things were tonight, and it was a Sunday night! C was jammed with people, and the roads were a parking lot.

3. I didn't see any vacate ticket counter space. Where is G4 going to go?

I can only imagine how things are going to be when the meat of the construction starts.

ADrum23

Mon May 07, 2018 2:07 am

kingcavalier wrote:
During the big terminal remodel there will be no connector walkway between A/B and C. The central consolidated checkpoint will split back into two separate checkpoints, one serving A/B and the other serving C. This will certainly complicate things for BA passenger’s ease of access to the admirals club. Once construction is complete on the Grand Ole Lobby the checkpoint will revert back to one checkpoint serving all concourses.

When is construction going to start?

kingcavalier

Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 am

I’m not sure of the timeline. I know 2 additional checkpoint lanes open on the south side by the end of this month. 2 more lanes will open by August I believe. The airport wants 24 lanes when the plan is all realized in 5 years. The airport currently has 10 lanes and going to 12 in a couple weeks.

bnatraveler

Mon May 07, 2018 8:07 am

pdt2f wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

As a fellow Nashvillian and traveler on the first BA222 leg, the hot chicken wasn't all that bad. Not spicy enough for me, but nonetheless much better than I had anticipated. Mac and cheese, however was tasteless... Flew in J, so not sure what the "result" was for those in Y/W.

southwest1675

Mon May 07, 2018 12:31 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

1. I was dead wrong about the parking, it's probably better that they are doing it first. So to whom I said parking is not as big of a priority as the terminal, I'm sorry.

2. Nonetheless, they desperately need to get going on the terminal expansion (particularly the construction of D) and access road improvements. I couldn't believe how crowded things were tonight, and it was a Sunday night! C was jammed with people, and the roads were a parking lot.

I can only imagine how things are going to be when the meat of the construction starts.

They’ll most likely go to the very tight spot on the very far side of the terminal. Right next to the Contour/Boutique counter. The terminals are very crowded. When I was walking down to the BA inaugural party on B, that entire concourse was shoulder to shoulder to the very end. I really think they could have gotten away with starting BNA Vision 2-3 years ago. Then again, this airport exploded with growth faster than the MNAA themselves thought. No doubt we'll be over 15 million by the end of this year. The WN ATL service alone will be giving us a passenger boost.

EvanWSFO

Mon May 07, 2018 9:20 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

2. Nonetheless, they desperately need to get going on the terminal expansion (particularly the construction of D) and access road improvements. I couldn't be linkeve how crowded things were tonight, and it was a Sunday night! C was jammed with people, and the roads were a parking lot.

They’ll most likely go to the very tight spot on the very far side of the terminal. Right next to the Contour/Boutique counter. The terminals are very crowded. When I was walking down to the BA inaugural party on B, that entire concourse was shoulder to shoulder to the very end. I really think they could have gotten away with starting BNA Vision 2-3 years ago. Then again, this airport exploded with growth faster than the MNAA themselves thought. No doubt we'll be over 15 million by the end of this year. The WN ATL service alone will be giving us a passenger boost.

For counter space, MNAA should build some of those skinny houses that are taking over East Nashville and Inglewood. I truly believe they have been taken by surprise at the growth in pax.

runner13

Mon May 07, 2018 11:47 pm

They should start filling in the hole on the ramp pretty soon which will close the outer connector. The already congested ramp at peak times will get even worse. Now with Speedbird essentially blocking the whole north ramp for 15-20 mins during tow. I bet we’ll have a ramp control by the end of the year.

ADrum23

Tue May 08, 2018 12:38 am

runner13 wrote:
They should start filling in the hole on the ramp pretty soon which will close the outer connector. The already congested ramp at peak times will get even worse. Now with Speedbird essentially blocking the whole north ramp for 15-20 mins during tow. I bet we’ll have a ramp control by the end of the year.

Per the BNA twitter, work on filling the hole started today.

kingcavalier

Tue May 08, 2018 1:19 am

The airport said it will take 55,000 dump trucks to fill in that hole and it won’t be cheap.

http://bnavisionnashville.com/2018/01/1 ... sion-plan/

southwest1675

Tue May 08, 2018 1:27 am

I’ve heard rumors that the Ramp Control will be back in use sometime.

pdt2f

Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Sunday apparently was the busiest day in BNA history.

southwest1675

Wed May 09, 2018 2:28 pm

pdt2f wrote:

Yep. Just a typical Sunday too. https://flynashville.com/news-and-media ... ecord.aspx

pdt2f

Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

Yep. Just a typical Sunday too. https://flynashville.com/news-and-media ... ecord.aspx

We could push 30,000 on one of the days on thr CMA/Bonnaroo weekend. MNAA has got to be shitting their pants over this explosive pax growth.

southwest1675

Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm

pdt2f wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

We could push 30,000 on one of the days on thr CMA/Bonnaroo weekend. MNAA has got to be shitting their pants over this explosive pax growth.

Could you imagine if WN added just a few more destinations? The MNAA literally had no idea this was gonna happen. If they knew, I bet BNA Vision would have kicked off earlier.

dfdubflyer

Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm not surprised. The airport was more packed in the terminal than I've ever seen it when I flew in Saturday and there was a massive line of cars almost out to 40 when I flew out on Sunday.

Personally, I'm bummed about the re-split of security. The security line on the Delta/United side is always shorter (people tend to think they have to go to the "right" side) and I'm always on AA or WN so that has saved me some time.

southwest1675

Wed May 09, 2018 4:58 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
I'm not surprised. The airport was more packed in the terminal than I've ever seen it when I flew in Saturday and there was a massive line of cars almost out to 40 when I flew out on Sunday.

Personally, I'm bummed about the re-split of security. The security line on the Delta/United side is always shorter (people tend to think they have to go to the "right" side) and I'm always on AA or WN so that has saved me some time.

You and I think the same. BNA TSA is probably some of the best I’ve experienced. It’s typically fast, and the TSA agents seem a lot nicer compared to other airports I’ve flown out of.

ADrum23

Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

You and I think the same. BNA TSA is probably some of the best I’ve experienced. It’s typically fast, and the TSA agents seem a lot nicer compared to other airports I’ve flown out of.

I arrived in the airport Sunday evening and could not believe how busy it was for a Sunday evening. I cannot wait for the new central terminal to be finished with the consolidated security checkpoint.

southwest1675

Thu May 10, 2018 2:10 am

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

I arrived in the airport Sunday evening and could not believe how busy it was for a Sunday evening. I cannot wait for the new central terminal to be finished with the consolidated security checkpoint.

The airport will be a mess while BNA Vision is taking shape. Once completed, it’ll be pretty nice for sure.

EvanWSFO

Thu May 10, 2018 2:40 am

southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

The airport will be a mess while BNA Vision is taking shape. Once completed, it’ll be pretty nice for sure.

Just in time for my JL 788 flight to NRT. :wave:

ADrum23

Thu May 10, 2018 2:45 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Too bad IND is gonna get that first (if we are to believe what is being said on the Indianapolis thread)

EvanWSFO

Thu May 10, 2018 3:14 am

ADrum23 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Too bad IND is gonna get that first (if we are to believe what is being said on the Indianapolis thread)

I try not to listen too much to the rumor mill. I think it will happen, but not too soon. If they wanted to do it now they could because they would use the same gates BA does, but morning arrival/departure wouldn't block the arrivals gate. I think BNA sees an Icelandic carrier next, though that would make gate usage complicated.

FA9295

Thu May 10, 2018 3:33 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

I try not to listen too much to the rumor mill. I think it will happen, but not too soon. If they wanted to do it now they could because they would use the same gates BA does, but morning arrival/departure wouldn't block the arrivals gate. I think BNA sees an Icelandic carrier next, though that would make gate usage complicated.

TBH, I'm a little surprised that FI hasn't considered BNA yet...

EvanWSFO

Thu May 10, 2018 5:33 am

FA9295 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

TBH, I'm a little surprised that FI hasn't considered BNA yet...

I'd much prefer FI over WW. I assume the 7M8 could make the trip easily.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos