Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pdx

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 am

HNL wrote:
Didn't DL serve PDX-HKG in the days of the mini-hub at PDX?

No, they didn't. They flew nonstop from PDX to NRT, SEL, TPE, NGO, and FUK. They may
have flown LAX-HKG? This is very cool........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYAgTelUCwA

HNL

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:29 am

pdx wrote:
HNL wrote:
Didn't DL serve PDX-HKG in the days of the mini-hub at PDX?

No, they didn't. They flew nonstop from PDX to NRT, SEL, TPE, NGO, and FUK. They may
have flown LAX-HKG? This is very cool........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYAgTelUCwA

I see now. It was LAX-ANC-HKG.
http://www.departedflights.com/DLwinter91intl.html

pdxswa

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:51 pm

A very smart looking Sierra Pacific 735 RON

RWA380

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:39 pm

OAG thread, Oregon slice up.

AC PDX-YYC APR 0.9>0.6 - a bit later in the year than before, when does AC pull the E-190?

B6 YOY
B6 ANC-PDX SEP 0.3>0.1

WN YOY
WN AUS-PDX AUG 0.4>0.2
WN BWI-PDX AUG 0.5>0.2
WN HOU-PDX AUG 0.5>0.2
WN LAX-PDX AUG 1.9>3 SEP 1.8>3 OCT 1.8>3
WN PDX-SAN AUG 1.9>3 SEP 1.8>3 OCT 1.2>1.9
WN PDX-SJC AUG 4>6 SEP 4>5 OCT 4>6
WN PDX-SMF SEP 6>5

BlatantEcho

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:18 pm

PDX based, been a loyal AS guy for years (Gold 75K for 2018 after years of gold).

2018 onward: Switched to Delta.
Currently at MSP on my way home from MSN (Madison, WI). That is just not possible on Alaska.

And you know what? I’m really enjoying Delta. I won’t hit Diamond with them, but I status matched to Gold and should hit Platnium easily.

They have a big network, planes have been on time, and I can get to Tokyo/Amsterdam and London from my home airport.
So, they win.

I agonized over it a bit last fall, as I’ve always liked Alaska. Still fly them a bit on some non-stops, but my travel is down 80% with them, and won’t come back unless Delta cuts some service at PDX.

This was a case where, the grass was indeed greener for one PDX frequent flier.

pdxav8r

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:31 am

AC PDX-YYC APR 0.9>0.6 - a bit later in the year than before, when does AC pull the E-190?

Hey RWA, are you confusing YYC with YYZ? YYC has been Q400’s the last year or so. But thanks for the PDX update.

‘PDX’, thanks for that Delta vid. Saw it a few years ago, brings back great memories. I lived in LA in the early ‘90’s, and remember talking with a DL MD11 pilot. He said they very often had to divert to ANC, as the plane had fuel issues on flights to Asia. Guess the fuel burn specs were incorrect. I would assume that didn’t help the Asia hub here, coupled with the crippled Japanese economy. Said it here a few times, when I lived in LA, they flew LAX-PDX-NRT on the MD11, and I always tried to get that ride to PDX, as the MD11 was a fun plane, and you would get Filet Mignon in coach for the short lunch flight. Them’s the days.

pdxav8r

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:32 am

Funny that NK is getting into the PDX-DTW market. DL can only make 1 daily work (twice in summer), and AS tried to make it year round, but ended that to only summer, yet NK gets into it. This will follow other NK failures here at PDX. Will the ORD red eye be returning? DFW and LAX have ended. I would love to be on their route planning board, get blindfolded, and throw darts. SEA is going 1X to FLL, IAH, DTW and ORD this summer. Guess they must be doing something right. Never flown them. Will pay more to earn my miles.

FA9295

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:09 am

pdxav8r wrote:
Funny that NK is getting into the PDX-DTW market. DL can only make 1 daily work (twice in summer), and AS tried to make it year round, but ended that to only summer, yet NK gets into it. This will follow other NK failures here at PDX. Will the ORD red eye be returning? DFW and LAX have ended. I would love to be on their route planning board, get blindfolded, and throw darts. SEA is going 1X to FLL, IAH, DTW and ORD this summer. Guess they must be doing something right. Never flown them. Will pay more to earn my miles.

Yes, NK's ORD-PDX is returning this summer.

Anyway, NK, F9, B6 and pre-merger VX have all been lost causes at PDX. Ever since they began operations at PDX, the routes/frequencies have been steadily decreasing overtime. Obviously, NK has chosen SEA over PDX to cater to the pacific northwest market. Though, I'm not really sure whey the did that, because NK has been operating at PDX for much longer than they've been operating at SEA. I would have guessed that some of the SEA flights that NK is running are already packed tight. Then again, SEA is one of the fastest growing airports in the USA, if not the entire world.

With that all being said though, there's always more room at PDX if any other airlines want to give us a try... :smile:

jbpdx

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:51 am

Icelandair resumes KEF-PDX tomorrow, 15 March. Delta re-upgauges PDX-Amsterdam to A333 next Saturday, 24 March.

pdx

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 am

jbpdx wrote:
Icelandair resumes KEF-PDX tomorrow, 15 March. Delta re-upgauges PDX-Amsterdam to A333 next Saturday, 24 March.

YAY! Tried to figure out FI's PDX schedule, but it's confusing. Operates 15MAR-08JAN...various days. I read 6 days a week starts 22JUN.
DE operates 01MAY-27OCT, 4 days a week starts 28JUN.
DL LHR operates 04MAY-06OCT, 4 days a week.
AM is daily this summer. Heard they're doing well at PDX?!
Y4 is up to 5 days a week in July when I checked.
AC YYZ operates 19MAY-27OCT......on an E90 plus 4 flights to YVR and 2 to YYC on DH4's.

jbpdx

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:02 am

pdx wrote:

PDX-MEX is daily/year round. Not sure why they’ve dropped a few Tuesdays recently.

jbpdx

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 pm

From Aeromexico’s PR announcing PDX-MEX:
“Portland is one of the fastest growing tech and innovation hubs in the United States, and it is recognized as a major center for entrepreneurship and business development that could attract new investment opportunities with this route.”

Too bad many U.S. carriers (route planners) don’t echo that.

ooslc

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:01 pm

pdx wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

YAY! Tried to figure out FI's PDX schedule, but it's confusing. Operates 15MAR-08JAN...various days. I read 6 days a week starts 22JUN.
DE operates 01MAY-27OCT, 4 days a week starts 28JUN.
DL LHR operates 04MAY-06OCT, 4 days a week.
Y4 is up to 5 days a week in July when I checked.
AC YYZ operates 19MAY-27OCT......on an E90 plus 4 flights to YVR and 2 to YYC on DH4's.

FI schedule is confusing! For what I can see this is the PDX-KEF schedule:

Starts March 16th leaving PDX on Sun, Fri. They all arrive from KEF the day before.
Starting Mar 28th they add a Wed flight
Starting May 22nd they add a Tue flight
Starting June 7th they add a Thu flight
Starting June 16th they add a Sat flight
Starting Sept 6th they discontinue the Thu and Sat flights
Starting Oct 31st they discontinue the Wed and Sun flights and remain on Tue Fri until Jan 8th.

This is from Google flights since FI doesn't have an online timetable that I can find.

jsta1981

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:24 pm

jbpdx wrote:
“Portland is one of the fastest growing tech and innovation hubs in the United States, and it is recognized as a major center for entrepreneurship and business development that could attract new investment opportunities with this route.”

It actually appears that many U.S. carriers are thinking in similar ways to Aeromexico. PDX has seen an unreal amount of new flights(for a city it's size, and with only 1 major headquartered company)
added the past few years. Gotta give the airport time to grow into all these new routes. More flights and destinations will come, but at the end of the day airlines arent non profits, and they don't operate to please forum posters.

FA9295

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:43 pm

jsta1981 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

It actually appears that many U.S. carriers are thinking in similar ways to Aeromexico. PDX has seen an unreal amount of new flights(for a city it's size, and with only 1 major headquartered company)
added the past few years. Gotta give the airport time to grow into all these new routes. More flights and destinations will come, but at the end of the day airlines arent non profits, and they don't operate to please forum posters.

jbpdx is probably referring to the legacy carriers (American, Delta, United, and Southwest to an extent), which Alaska and Horizon are not.

jbpdx

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Obviously airlines don’t always make the best financial decisions. I remember just three years ago people on here and on Flyertalk making excuses for why no one would ever fly PDX-MCO nonstop. Not one new route has been announced so far this year from PDX, now a 19 million+ passenger airport. If Sun Country is expanding/refocusing, they have several unserved routes to/from Portland ripe for the picking. Hello Nashville (which is seeking a nonstop to PDX) and Fort Lauderdale (major hub of JetBlue, which appears uninterested).

FA9295

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Obviously airlines don’t always make the best financial decisions. I remember just three years ago people on here and on Flyertalk making excuses for why no one would ever fly PDX-MCO nonstop. Not one new route has been announced so far this year from PDX, now a 19 million+ passenger airport. If Sun Country is expanding/refocusing, they have several unserved routes to/from Portland ripe for the picking. Hello Nashville (which is seeking a nonstop to PDX) and Fort Lauderdale (major hub of JetBlue, which appears uninterested).

To be perfectly honest, PDX is probably not very high on AAG's priority list, given the pilot/aircraft shortages as well as the VX merger issues.

As far as new Alaska routes to/from PDX, they really need to add PDX-DEN and PDX-SBP. These two markets are way overdue. According to PDX's Wikipedia page, DEN is third largest domestic market from PDX. I could also argue PDX-BNA, which has been rumored lots on here, but I think that should be saved for Southwest. Also, a second permanent PDX-ORD route would also be nice. The current red-eye flight on the VX A320 ends in May 2018.

I would imagine that DEN could go up to three or four daily PDX-DEN flights (it'd be a toss-up whether they would use the B737/A320 or the E175)
SBP would likely be a 1x daily with the E175. Then SBA could possibly get upgraded to the B737.
Last edited by FA9295 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FA9295

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:19 pm

jbpdx wrote:
pdx wrote:

PDX-MEX is daily/year round. Not sure why they’ve dropped a few Tuesdays recently.

PDX-GDL on Volaris is going to 6x weekly from June 17th to July 14th. Flight will not operate on Thursdays. Regarding AM apparently dropping Tuesday flights on PDX-MEX route, it looks like that only lasts up until March 20th, which is the last Tuesday with no PDX-MEX flight.

FA9295

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:28 pm

On a separate note, I think Delta can do much better than just 1x weekly (Saturday) on PDX-HNL. This flight is set to end on March 31st. I just looked at the seat maps for Delta's three remaining PDX-HNL flights (March 17th, 24th, and 31st), and all three of the flights appear to be packed very tight with only a couple seats left open for reservation.

flyoregon

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:48 pm

FA9295 wrote:
On a separate note, I think Delta can do much better than just 1x weekly (Saturday) on PDX-HNL. This flight is set to end on March 31st. I just looked at the seat maps for Delta's three remaining PDX-HNL flights (March 17th, 24th, and 31st), and all three of the flights appear to be packed very tight with only a couple seats left open for reservation.

I think most of the airlines doing the seasonal stuff can do a lot better than they are. PDX-HNL is one example. Icelandair to KEF could/should go year-round as could Condor based on current LF's and a LHR flight year-round is not an outrageous notion. Tourism in Oregon is a huge business, even in the winter.

PDX-DEN on Alaska is a need. I don't understand the hold-up. We all remember when they were flying the route on 737's, and I flew it 4 or 5 times with each time being very full. I know, I know, different times, many variables, I get it. But even then you had United on the route which was a strong PDX airline, F9 was flying it 4-5 times per day, plus Alaska. Now, you have what I consider a weaker UA in Portland, F9 at 1x~ daily, and Southwest which is probably the strongest on the route. Alaska's loyalty base in Portland is much bigger, and with a mix of E175s and 737/A320s on the route, how could it not work while little 1x daily routes like MCI, ABQ, MSP, etc seemingly work just fine.

I think you're right that with the merger, pilot issues, and whatever else going on at Alaska, Portland really is not a huge priority-- right or wrong, doesn't matter. I think PDX is a well served airport, but I think it could be better served from some of the airlines.

pdx

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 pm

FI schedule is confusing! For what I can see this is the PDX-KEF schedule:

Starts March 16th leaving PDX on Sun, Fri. They all arrive from KEF the day before.
Starting Mar 28th they add a Wed flight
Starting May 22nd they add a Tue flight
Starting June 7th they add a Thu flight
Starting June 16th they add a Sat flight
Starting Sept 6th they discontinue the Thu and Sat flights
Starting Oct 31st they discontinue the Wed and Sun flights and remain on Tue Fri until Jan 8th.

This is from Google flights since FI doesn't have an online timetable that I can find.[/quote]

I couldn't find one either. They had one last year, but have revised their website I believe. Every time that
happens they ruin it! DL completely ruined their flight schedule look-up. Used to be able to see everything
on one screen. Now you have to scroll down and click on every flight to see the aircraft type. Drives me nuts!

lhpdx

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:09 pm

For those that are interested, construction cranes have been erected for the CC-E 830 ft. extension...

pdx

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 pm

FA9295 wrote:

Portland's spring break starts 24MAR. There won't be a seat to be had. The return on 31MAR will be the same.
Probably a good chance to get some denied boarding compensation! Most flights in/out of PDX those
weekends are full. Doesn't matter where you're going...generally speaking!

pdxav8r

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:17 am

pdx wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Portland's spring break starts 24MAR. There won't be a seat to be had. The return on 31MAR will be the same.
Probably a good chance to get some denied boarding compensation! Most flights in/out of PDX those

Airlines could probably pull 747’s out of retirement for spring break, to any sunny destination, charge crazy fares, and still be overbooked.

pdx

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:14 am

pdxav8r wrote:
pdx wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Airlines could probably pull 747’s out of retirement for spring break, to any sunny destination, charge crazy fares, and still be overbooked.

You're right! It's unbelievable from a travel booking perspective. It's like everyone on spring break grabs the first seat
they can find to get out of town! On 23MAR AS only has 4 flights open PDX-SEA...normally there are 25!

TransWorldOne

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:03 am

pdx wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
pdx wrote:

You're right! It's unbelievable from a travel booking perspective. It's like everyone on spring break grabs the first seat
they can find to get out of town! On 23MAR AS only has 4 flights open PDX-SEA...normally there are 25!

One time I added up the total seats on PDX-SEA and it was the equivalent of 5 Emirates A380's. Every single flight was sold out or overbooked. Quite impressive. Is spring break the busiest travel time for PDX? In my anecdotal experience, it is busier than both summer and the holiday travel season.

MatthewDB

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:12 am

FA9295 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
pdx wrote:

PDX-GDL on Volaris is going to 6x weekly from June 17th to July 14th. Flight will not operate on Thursdays. Regarding AM apparently dropping Tuesday flights on PDX-MEX route, it looks like that only lasts up until March 20th, which is the last Tuesday with no PDX-MEX flight.

I haven't ever been on Aremexico or Volaris. What would people vote on if going to GDL?

FA9295

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:10 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
pdx wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

One time I added up the total seats on PDX-SEA and it was the equivalent of 5 Emirates A380's. Every single flight was sold out or overbooked. Quite impressive. Is spring break the busiest travel time for PDX? In my anecdotal experience, it is busier than both summer and the holiday travel season.

Oh wow, you're right! (Technically there's six flights open on 23 March, but three of them only have first class tickets still available). Maybe Delta should put some 767s or 777s on the route! ;)

pdx

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:46 am

FA9295 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
pdx wrote:

Oh wow, you're right! (Technically there's six flights open on 23 March, but three of them only have first class tickets still available). Maybe Delta should put some 767s or 777s on the route! ;)

Guess what? As of right now, all AS PDX-SEA flights on 23MAR are SOLD-OUT! Availability changes frequently however.
DL widebodies sound great! They used them a lot in the 80's. AS has a good fare to SEA (06APR-23MAY) for $49! Subject
to change of course.

jbpdx

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 am

pdx wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

Guess what? As of right now, all AS PDX-SEA flights on 23MAR are SOLD-OUT! Availability changes frequently however.
DL widebodies sound great! They used them a lot in the 80's. AS has a good fare to SEA (06APR-23MAY) for $49! Subject
to change of course.

They need Portland passengers to fill all those nonstops they won’t fly out of PDX.

FA9295

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Oregon's Weekly OAG Update as of March 18th (via enilria):

AA ORD-PDX OCT 3>2 NOV 3>2

AS PDX-ANC JUN 3>4 JUL 3>4
AS PDX-ATL AUG 0.8>0.1
AS SEA-PDX MAY 25>24 JUN 27>25 JUL 27>25 AUG 27>25

UA DEN-EUG SEP 2>3 OCT 2>3 NOV 2>3
UA DEN-MFR SEP 1.8>3 OCT 1.9>3 NOV 1.9>3

It looks like AS is ending it's summer seasonal PDX-ATL service about three weeks early. The route was previously scheduled to end on August 25th, but now ends on August 3rd.

Chugach

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:17 pm

FA9295 wrote:

AS PDX-ATL AUG 0.8>0.1

It looks like AS is ending it's summer seasonal PDX-ATL service about three weeks early. The route was previously scheduled to end on August 25th, but now ends on August 3rd.

Nice to see added frequency on PDX-ANC but th southbound schedule looks mostly awful. Two red eyes and a 6:00 AM departure, followed by a 3:30 PM departure. I much prefer the spring schedule with noon and 6:30 PM departures.

32andBelow

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Chugach wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

AS PDX-ATL AUG 0.8>0.1

Nice to see added frequency on PDX-ANC but th southbound schedule looks mostly awful. Two red eyes and a 6:00 AM departure, followed by a 3:30 PM departure. I much prefer the spring schedule with noon and 6:30 PM departures.

Yah. I can never understand why AS doesn’t start flowing like half the ANC connections over PDX with the SEA space problems. Most of us are not trying to go to Seattle and PDX is a much better airport to connect at.

Chugach

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:54 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Chugach wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

AS PDX-ATL AUG 0.8>0.1

Yah. I can never understand why AS doesn’t start flowing like half the ANC connections over PDX with the SEA space problems. Most of us are not trying to go to Seattle and PDX is a much better airport to connect at.

I suspect the reason they don’t is fear of DL scooping up more market share on AS’ bread and butter route.

Remember when AS did PDX-FAI? That was great, until DL added SEA-FAI. AS moved that frequency over to SEA-FAI faster than the temperature drops in Fairbanks in November.

FA9295

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Chugach wrote:

I suspect the reason they don’t is fear of DL scooping up more market share on AS’ bread and butter route.

Remember when AS did PDX-FAI? That was great, until DL added SEA-FAI. AS moved that frequency over to SEA-FAI faster than the temperature drops in Fairbanks in November.

DL at one point flew PDX-ANC also, but that flight only lasted for a couple months...

FA9295

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 am

FA9295

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 am

The Boeing 767-300ER is set to replace Airbus A321 on PDX-OGG (Hawaiian Airlines) from June 1st through July 1st. This is likely due to the whole Airbus 'neo' engine debacle, hence the delivery of some of HA's A321s will be significantly delayed...

Notably, the Airbus A321 will be operating on PDX-HNL at this time, as the route switches from the Airbus A330-200 to the Airbus A321 on May 1st. So there will be more capacity available on PDX-OGG than PDX-HNL (which seems odd to me).

pdxav8r

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 am

FA9295 wrote:
The Boeing 767-300ER is set to replace Airbus A321 on PDX-OGG (Hawaiian Airlines) from June 1st through July 1st. This is likely due to the whole Airbus 'neo' engine debacle, hence the delivery of some of HA's A321s will be significantly delayed...

Notably, the Airbus A321 will be operating on PDX-HNL at this time, as the route switches from the Airbus A330-200 to the Airbus A321 on May 1st. So there will be more capacity available on PDX-OGG than PDX-HNL (which seems odd to me).

Yes, that is extremely odd. Source? Why switch a route that was destined and planned to be the A321 all along, to greater capacity, take the aircraft off the route, up gauge it, and down gauge the evidently greater money maker to a smaller aircraft (being that they just recently added th OGG route again). That doesn’t seem to make any sense, hence my question of the source.

pdxav8r

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:48 am

pdxav8r wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Yes, that is extremely odd. Source? Why switch a route that was destined and planned to be the A321 all along, to greater capacity, take the aircraft off the route, up gauge it, and down gauge the evidently greater money maker to a smaller aircraft (being that they just recently added th OGG route again). That doesn’t seem to make any sense, hence my question of the source. One would surmise they would keep the A321 on the OGG route, and go 763 on the HNL route. Very odd.

FA9295

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:27 am

pdxav8r wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Yes, that is extremely odd. Source? Why switch a route that was destined and planned to be the A321 all along, to greater capacity, take the aircraft off the route, up gauge it, and down gauge the evidently greater money maker to a smaller aircraft (being that they just recently added th OGG route again). That doesn’t seem to make any sense, hence my question of the source. One would surmise they would keep the A321 on the OGG route, and go 763 on the HNL route. Very odd.

There's no published source. I just found this out through a dummy-booking on google flights. Obviously, this is still subject to change at any point before departure...

PDX-HNL Airbus A321 (June 1st): https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/ ... .USD.28850

PDX-OGG Boeing 767-300ER (June 1st): https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/ ... .USD.28850

This switch seems economically infeasible in my opinion, as PDX-HNL clearly gets a much higher load factor than PDX-OGG, hence why the route was suspended a long while back and is now only operating once again due to the purchasing of the smaller A321. If anything, I would have expected Hawaiian to temporarily suspend PDX-OGG while they wait for more A321 deliveries...

Also, the switch on PDX-HNL from the A330 to the A321 appears to be permanent, as the A321 is being shown on the route all the way through February 2019, which is as far back as you can currently book a flight: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/ ... .USD.99350

At this point, PDX-OGG will also stay on the A321 as well: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/ ... .USD.99350

flyoregon

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:39 pm

FA9295 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

There's no published source. I just found this out through a dummy-booking on google flights. Obviously, this is still subject to change at any point before departure...

PDX-HNL Airbus A321 (June 1st): https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/ ... .USD.28850

PDX-OGG Boeing 767-300ER (June 1st): https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/ ... .USD.28850

This switch seems economically infeasible in my opinion, as PDX-HNL clearly gets a much higher load factor than PDX-OGG, hence why the route was suspended a long while back and is now only operating once again due to the purchasing of the smaller A321. If anything, I would have expected Hawaiian to temporarily suspend PDX-OGG while they wait for more A321 deliveries...

Also, the switch on PDX-HNL from the A330 to the A321 appears to be permanent, as the A321 is being shown on the route all the way through February 2019, which is as far back as you can currently book a flight: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/ ... .USD.99350

At this point, PDX-OGG will also stay on the A321 as well: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=/m/ ... .USD.99350

I don't understand this shift. HA has seen consistent load factors from Portland for years using the DC-10, 767-300, and now the A330. I realize Alaska has increased the competition on routes to Hawaii, but the load-factors on Hawaiian remain strong. It's just a strange decision that doesn't make a lot of sense to someone on the outside looking in. But, I'm sure they know what they're doing...

Chugach

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:58 pm

flyoregon wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

I don't understand this shift. HA has seen consistent load factors from Portland for years using the DC-10, 767-300, and now the A330. I realize Alaska has increased the competition on routes to Hawaii, but the load-factors on Hawaiian remain strong. It's just a strange decision that doesn't make a lot of sense to someone on the outside looking in. But, I'm sure they know what they're doing...

The only way it makes sense to me is if HA is planning on adding PDX-KOA/LIH at some point, which drastically reduces the need to push connecting traffic through HNL.

Chugach

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:03 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

DL at one point flew PDX-ANC also, but that flight only lasted for a couple months...

Yes...seasonal add. I’m a little bit surprised it didn’t come back, but PDX-ANC is a tough market to have three carriers on it, especially with B6 lowering yields. If B6 ever drops that route (and they’ve been pulling back in ANC gradually for a couple years now) I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see DL jump on it again seasonally.

Not that it’s relevant today, but DL also served PDX-ANC back in the 90’s during the mini-hub days at PDX.

ucdtim17

Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Chugach wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

The only way it makes sense to me is if HA is planning on adding PDX-KOA/LIH at some point, which drastically reduces the need to push connecting traffic through HNL.

Well it also could make sense if they are adding PDX-OGG, which they did. They will have more total seats flying to Hawaii than they did with one A330 to HNL.

PDX757

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:14 pm

How much does FI’s odd PDX scheduling have to do with aircraft availability vs optimal usage? The Max 8s coming should free up some more 757s operating shorter routes to Europe and the east coast. Hopefully that means year round daily to PDX.

PDX757

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Chugach wrote:

DL isn’t going to up and leave SEA, no matter how much of a fight AS gives them. There’s going to have to come a time when AS and DL coexist at SEA. DL hasn’t eaten AS’ lunch by any means. I can’t imagine that shifting resources from other hubs to SEA to duke it out with DL is a sustainable business practice.

jbpdx

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:03 pm

PDX Portland International

Feb 2018: 1,290,153
Feb 2017: 1,214,257

+6.3% yoy

Domestic +5.7%
International +20.9%

Alaska Airlines +29.5%
Cathay Pacific cargo +99.5%

Delta resumes A333 PDX-AMS tomorrow.
Icelandair goes to 3x/week this Sunday.

pdxswa

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:45 pm

A very rare military visitor from Yakota AFB Japan.

flyoregon

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:58 pm

PDX757 wrote:
How much does FI’s odd PDX scheduling have to do with aircraft availability vs optimal usage? The Max 8s coming should free up some more 757s operating shorter routes to Europe and the east coast. Hopefully that means year round daily to PDX.

I agree. We're coming up on 3 years on this well performing route and it's still not year-round. I have to think that it has something to do with availability, OR they'd rather just have everyone go through Seattle. It does make planning a trip with them a little tricky since they're all over the place on what days they fly and when.

jbpdx

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:16 pm

flyoregon wrote:
PDX757 wrote:

I agree. We're coming up on 3 years on this well performing route and it's still not year-round. I have to think that it has something to do with availability, OR they'd rather just have everyone go through Seattle. It does make planning a trip with them a little tricky since they're all over the place on what days they fly and when.

It is odd the way Icelandair edges up the number of weekly flights from 2 to 3 to 4 to 6. I’m still hoping for 2x/week year round Norwegian to Paris, despite their financial problems. They likely are re-evaluating routes and are ready to drop some losers in favor of sure bets like PDX. CDG earlier had listed PDX as a sought route on therouteshop.com.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos