Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iyerhari

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2018

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Southwest issues that many FF do not like:
1. No opportunity for automatic upgrades to first class - yes, it may not be big but it is a huge deal if one travels almost every week
2. Inability to use miles with partner carriers for mostly international flights - I travel to India to see family and I can use my AA miles with BA or QR
3. Lounge access when traveling on partner carriers on international flights - LHR in my case.
4. Limited international reach - almost none except some sprinkled leisure destinations

This may not be important for many folks but for many this does become important if one is traveling so much.

That being said, one of the plus Southwest has in addition to bags for free is they service the plane very frequently. It is also commendable that they have a good business model. If you see the passenger numbers in the top-50 very large and large hubs, Southwest is dominant only in MDW and BWI. They must be making a kill in the airports under 50.

PITingres

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:04 pm

tarmacphotos wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
...But if you want at the very least want a decent product (or in the case of WN, also price)...

WN a good product? No first class, no seat assignments...NO THANKS.

Pffft. Domestic FC is pointless IMO, and I regularly get better seats on WN than others that assign seats. But hey, that's fine, stay off WN, more room for me.

Runway28L wrote:
... I have to wonder if Pittsburghers are avoiding the main airport (LAX) all together due to perception or experience.

Experience. :-)

IMO, LAX is a horrible destination airport. I'll connect through it but if I'm going to the LA area (which fortunately is rare these days, unlike some years ago) I'll make an effort to use SNA, BUR, or LGB if it's at all possible. (I would include ONT as well, but I never find myself needing to be anywhere near ONT.)

AaronPGH

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:02 pm

iyerhari wrote:
1. No opportunity for automatic upgrades to first class - yes, it may not be big but it is a huge deal if one travels almost every week
2. Inability to use miles with partner carriers for mostly international flights - I travel to India to see family and I can use my AA miles with BA or QR
3. Lounge access when traveling on partner carriers on international flights - LHR in my case.
4. Limited international reach - almost none except some sprinkled leisure destinations

This may not be important for many folks but for many this does become important if one is traveling so much.

That being said, one of the plus Southwest has in addition to bags for free is they service the plane very frequently. It is also commendable that they have a good business model. If you see the passenger numbers in the top-50 very large and large hubs, Southwest is dominant only in MDW and BWI. They must be making a kill in the airports under 50.

This about sums it up for me. For folks who travel 4 times a month or more and travel internationally on the regular, you aren't going to take Spirit or Southwest to LA. Your allegiance is with a legacy. I'd imagine DL or AA would be the best to capture this.

tarmacphotos

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:24 am

AaronPGH wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

This about sums it up for me. For folks who travel 4 times a month or more and travel internationally on the regular, you aren't going to take Spirit or Southwest to LA. Your allegiance is with a legacy. I'd imagine DL or AA would be the best to capture this.
PITingres wrote:
Pffft. Domestic FC is pointless IMO, and I regularly get better seats on WN than others that assign seats. But hey, that's fine, stay off WN, more room for me.

PITingres wrote:

How is it possible to get a better coach seat on WN than domestic first class on a legacy? I'll take the extra room of my first class seat any day. I too agree 100% with iyerhar. I get upgraded on the majority of my domestic flights to first class. I fly internationally often and use my AA miles for business class tickets on BA, Qatar, Finnair, Iberia etc. None of which I could do on WN.

ADrum23

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:17 am

iyerhari wrote:

Thank you! I’ve been saying this for a while. It is for these reasons that I believe DL could put a focus city in AUS and most business travelers would choose DL. Yet, I’ve been (sometimes intensly) scorned for making such a suggestion.

WN is great for a quick hop (under 4 hours) within the lower 48, but anything beyond that, eh.......

Cush

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:09 am

PITflier wrote:

Domestic first class is hardly anything to jump up and down about. Neither are assigned seats for that matter. I almost exclusively fly Southwest and have never had trouble getting a window or aisle seat but to each their own I guess.

I guess I just don't understand the desire to be herded like cattle onto an airplane without knowing where I am going to be sitting, and God knows whom I will be sitting next to. Will it be the 400 pound obese guy that spills into my seat, or the man/woman who hasn't showered in 2 weeks, or doesn't believe in deodorant, etc...

I'll always pay more to fly a legacy unless there is no other choice. I enjoy the benefit of having a seat, paying for a first class upgrade, having lounge access, and sitting around semi-normal humans.

Anyone who wants Southwest can have them. They know who their clientele are....

Jshank83

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:14 am

Cush wrote:
I guess I just don't understand the desire to be herded like cattle onto an airplane without knowing where I am going to be sitting, and God knows whom I will be sitting next to. Will it be the 400 pound obese guy that spills into my seat, or the man/woman who hasn't showered in 2 weeks, or doesn't believe in deodorant, etc...

Legacy tells you who you are sitting by? I would argue WN is better in this respect because you can choose who you sit by when you get on the plane. If you want to avoid someone you can. If your seat is assigned that is what you get. I also don't get the herded like cattle reference people seem to say. How is getting on WN different than any other airline? You actually have a single file order to get onto a plane and it isn't a free for all by group on others.

If you can afford to fly First or Business I totally get wanting to fly on a legacy. But most people can't, so if you are flying coach anyway then I personally think WN is good. Free tv, bags, change fees, etc.

Skym88

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:16 am

Cush wrote:
PITflier wrote:

Domestic first class is hardly anything to jump up and down about. Neither are assigned seats for that matter. I almost exclusively fly Southwest and have never had trouble getting a window or aisle seat but to each their own I guess.

I'll always pay more to fly a legacy unless there is no other choice. I enjoy the benefit of having a seat, paying for a first class upgrade, having lounge access, and sitting around semi-normal humans.

Anyone who wants Southwest can have them. They know who their clientele are....

A little harsh? Sitting next to “semi - normal humans”??? Because Delta and United have the best clientele? You can’t be serious?

There are just as many FF’s that fly WN that fly any legacy. Period the end of story WN offers a good product. It’s been proven time and time again! Read any survey from best FF program to customer service! Maybe it’s not your cup of tea but for the majority of Americans it does the job just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarmacphotos

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 am

Skym88 wrote:
There are just as many FF’s that fly WN that fly any legacy.

What exactly does a WN FF get? Upgrades? Lounges? Meals? Use of miles on partner airlines? They don't even get free bags because they give everyone free bags. I just don't see how that is a "good product". I understand WN is a great and profitable company, but it is for a certain demographic of the population that is seeking value over quality. It is similar to people going clothes shopping at Walmart vs. Burberry. Lets call it what it is and not sugar coat it by saying its a "good product".

ctrabs0114

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 am

tarmacphotos wrote:
Skym88 wrote:
There are just as many FF’s that fly WN that fly any legacy.

What exactly does a WN FF get? Upgrades? Lounges? Meals? Use of miles on partner airlines? They don't even get free bags because they give everyone free bags. I just don't see how that is a "good product". I understand WN is a great and profitable company, but it is for a certain demographic of the population that is seeking value over quality. It is similar to people going clothes shopping at Walmart vs. Burberry. Lets call it what it is and not sugar coat it by saying its a "good product".

The fact that I don't have to worry about bag fees imposed by the US3 carriers or the ridiculous nickle and dime fees from ULCCs is the biggest reason I fly WN. And for those complaining about the lack of meal service (or food options compared to the US3 carriers), I get that, but I deal with it by grabbing something to eat before boarding. Problem solved in that regard.

AaronPGH

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:25 pm

There is either a glitch or a fare war situation going on PIT<->SFO both ways this morning. Most UA flights, including the non-stops are $90-100 round trip all year long.

jplatts

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:11 pm

iyerhari wrote:

WN actually has over 50% market share at ABQ, MCI, LBB, MAF, BNA, SMF, and STL.

WN also has over 90% market share at DAL, HOU, and MDW, but WN has less than 50% market share in the DFW Metroplex market (DFW/DAL), Greater Houston market (IAH/HOU), and the Chicagoland market (ORD/MDW).

WN is bigger in Washington, DC, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Greater Los Angeles than it is in Chicago by total number of departures, but WN serves BWI/DCA/IAD in the DC area, OAK/SJC/SFO in the San Francisco Bay Area, and LAX/BUR/SNA/LGB/ONT in the Greater Los Angeles area.

PITflier

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:25 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
There is either a glitch or a fare war situation going on PIT<->SFO both ways this morning. Most UA flights, including the non-stops are $90-100 round trip all year long.

I think its a fare war. I took a long weekend in SF on AA at the beginning of Feb for $107 rt.

iyerhari

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:30 pm

In the airports you quote, SFO airport UA is a clear winner. I just looked at Wiki, WN market is 1/5th of UA. LAX is a more distributed market but I am sure AA and DL have very big operations. In Washington DC area, if you are referring to BWI, then I agree with you. DCA is AA/LUS and IAD is UA clear winner. But if you start adding several smaller airports such as OAK/SJC in the greater Bay area and BUR/ONT/SNA in LA area, then WN comes good.

But in the top 50 airports where WN has a clear market is BWI and MDW. BWI is ranked 22 and MDW is either 24 or 25. Their business model looks more like, it's ok to not be in the premier business market airport and aspire to be the number 1 or 2. But there are several smaller access markets who are in need of business and we will fulfill them.

Sorry I know this is PIT thread and got carried away.

Runway28L

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Some good news here:

Amazon Expanding In Pittsburgh, Will Double Number Of Jobs
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/02/ ... ittsburgh/

Hopefully, just hopefully, this could be a prelude.

pitbosflyer

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:42 pm

PITingres wrote:

So you've never flown transcon in lie flats I guess.

ConcourseZ

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Lie flats should be mandatory, imho.

Cush

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 pm

AaronPGH wrote:

Everything I am pulling up now is $400-800 r/t

AaronPGH

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Cush wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:

Everything I am pulling up now is $400-800 r/t

Yeah, seems they're already gone. A bunch of my friends and I were able to snag 2-3 trips. Also a bunch of folks booked flights from SFO-PIT for a music festival this summer. I think we bulldozed them lol

Lemieux

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:50 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Some good news here:

Amazon Expanding In Pittsburgh, Will Double Number Of Jobs
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/02/ ... ittsburgh/

Hopefully, just hopefully, this could be a prelude.

Not to be a pessimist here, but I can’t help but think this is a consolation prize

PITingres

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 am

pitbosflyer wrote:
PITingres wrote:

No. I've flown TATL in lie flats. I don't know why I would want to pay the premium for a relatively short 5-6 hour flight, and my company doesn't pay for anything other than economy.

If you can write off the extra cost of FC, or get someone else to pay it, I suppose it would be worth it. I've certainly never been in that position, not even when I was a consultant (clients didn't want to pay the extra fees).

pgh234

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:04 am

PITingres wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:
PITingres wrote:

No. I've flown TATL in lie flats. I don't know why I would want to pay the premium for a relatively short 5-6 hour flight, and my company doesn't pay for anything other than economy.

If you can write off the extra cost of FC, or get someone else to pay it, I suppose it would be worth it. I've certainly never been in that position, not even when I was a consultant (clients didn't want to pay the extra fees).

This is the point of the US3 FF programs though that WN FF program cannot provide. My wife and I have flown in lie-flats, for free (i.e the price of coach via points, OpUps, and Upgrade Certs) over 20 times over the past 3 years on Trans-ATL and Trans-PAC flights. This is a FF benefit worth over $100,000 that WN cannot provide...mainly because they do not fly to these places nor offer lie-flats. I agree though, that I would never spend my own dime on the lie-flat premium.

As others have said, I am perfectly happy on WN for the 1-hour PIT-BWI, MDW, or STL hops if the price is right. Beyond that, I will stick with my US3 airline (or not go if the price is too high).

GSP psgr

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Mildly disturbing data point: I purchased a PIT-MIA one way less than a week out on AA for $45 one way. That can't be a hugely profitable ticket, and it's not even basic economy....

ConcourseZ

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 pm

AS ending four routes in the summer including two from SFO. Might they try a PIT - SFO route?
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... es-in-s18/

Cush

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
Mildly disturbing data point: I purchased a PIT-MIA one way less than a week out on AA for $45 one way. That can't be a hugely profitable ticket, and it's not even basic economy....

How? Everything I tried was $400-1k

cvgComair

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Cush wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

How? Everything I tried was $400-1k

Looks like over the next two weeks:

steeler83

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:18 pm

^^ Not really sure what is going on, but Monday and Tuesday next week fares start at $59 and $75 each way -- on PHL-MIA... After that, though, the base fare jumps back to $139 one way.

Runway28L

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:19 pm

A lot of colleges are off for spring break/ mid-semester break during that week, including my own. Probably an attempt to get a lot of people to come down to Florida for vacation.

Runway28L

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
AS ending four routes in the summer including two from SFO. Might they try a PIT - SFO route?
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... es-in-s18/

Both MSP and FLL already have both more service and higher demand to SFO than PIT does. I just don't see how cutting those routes then adding PIT makes sense.

Besides, I imagine AS wants to see how SEA-PIT does first before making another move.

flightsimer

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:46 am

GSP psgr wrote:

AA have been putting a lot of cheap fares out over their entire system. Apparently they are even doing last minute "walk up tickets" for under $50 to keep planes full. It's causing havoc for commuters though.

Jshank83

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:14 am

flightsimer wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

AA have been putting a lot of cheap fares out over their entire system. Apparently they are even doing last minute "walk up tickets" for under $50 to keep planes full. It's causing havoc for commuters though.

STL had really cheap fares on AA to PHX/MIA a couple months ago. WN was matching them all. I think they were something line $27 to FLL/MIA and I got PHX for $33 One way. So like flightsimer said, I think they were doing it from a lot of places. I also noticed they have way lower fares to places if you do a connection through MIA (like BOS) but that is really far out of the way.

ConcourseZ

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Any rumblings about the China flights for PIT?

flyPIT

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:08 am

PIT-AVP flights are set to begin April 23. 2x daily with Piper Navajos.
http://www.regionalsky.com/

JamesRenard

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Just had a quick browse at United's timetables and saw they're running a daily A319 on their PIT-IAH route from June 7th until August 20th.

ctrabs0114

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:29 pm

For April, UA adding 1 PIT-IAD (3 flights up to 4) but cutting a PIT-IAH schedule (down from 5 to 4 in April and 6 to 5 in May):

viewtopic.php?p=20202185

Runway28L

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
For April, UA adding 1 PIT-IAD (3 flights up to 4) but cutting a PIT-IAH schedule (down from 5 to 4 in April and 6 to 5 in May)

viewtopic.php?p=20202185

This is exactly what happens when on one end oil prices drop (although recently they've gone back up) and on the other end fracking plummets with numerous layoffs and pay cuts occuring.

I imagine most traffic to IAH is just connecting nowadays.

flyPIT

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
For April, UA adding 1 PIT-IAD (3 flights up to 4) but cutting a PIT-IAH schedule (down from 5 to 4 in April and 6 to 5 in May):

viewtopic.php?p=20202185

I believe IAD is always at least 4x daily in summer so that's not a change and as of now PIT-IAH is 4x daily in April and May. I don't think it has ever been operated 6x daily.

https://www.united.com

But its good to see some mainline return to IAH, it seems the energy industry is crawling back to life.

JamesRenard

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:06 am

I was pretty surprised to see mainline United service to IAH, especially with Spirit abandoning their route after only a few months.

ConcourseZ

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=20202185

Looks like IAH is getting a bit of a trimming to many destinations.

pgh234

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:16 am

Runway28L wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
For April, UA adding 1 PIT-IAD (3 flights up to 4) but cutting a PIT-IAH schedule (down from 5 to 4 in April and 6 to 5 in May)

viewtopic.php?p=20202185

This is exactly what happens when on one end oil prices drop (although recently they've gone back up) and on the other end fracking plummets with numerous layoffs and pay cuts occuring.

I imagine most traffic to IAH is just connecting nowadays.

But they upgaged a flight to mainline for the summer, that makes up for much of the reduction. Oil prices have been through the floor for like 8 years now.

If anything, I do know the Shell Cracker Plant supports quite a bit of PIT-IAH traffic.

ConcourseZ

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:59 pm

DL keeps adding routes to CVG. Latest round brings DL to 36 routes. No PIT-CVG service. Is this now a "focus city" on the DL network? DTW is only 260 miles away from CVG, though.
http://news.delta.com/expansion-continu ... n-kentucky

Cvgspotter15

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:51 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
DL keeps adding routes to CVG. Latest round brings DL to 36 routes. No PIT-CVG service. Is this now a "focus city" on the DL network? DTW is only 260 miles away from CVG, though.

Like Pit, CVG used to be a huge hub (Delta) and then got cut drastically too far, now Delta is just resuming some popular routes as the economy is booming.

dabpit

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:09 pm

flyPIT wrote:
PIT-AVP flights are set to begin April 23. 2x daily with Piper Navajos.
http://www.regionalsky.com/

So this is a new airline servicing PIT?

cvgComair

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:26 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:

MEM is trying to get DL to restore MEM-CVG, perhaps if that is successful, CVG-PIT could be a possibility. With OneJet eliminating the route, they would have no competition.

AaronPGH

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:14 pm

I wonder if Delta would add CVG so quick after the SLC addition?

flyPIT

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:35 am

The ACAA finally uploaded the December 2017 statistics spreadsheet. As we knew before total passengers for the year were up 8.2% but now we can see that int'l passengers totaled 256,000 for the year (and up 55% in Dec). For comparison, during PIT's int'l peak which included daily LGW/FRA/CDG that number was about 800,000, so not too bad.
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/getattachment/Newsroom/Airport-Statistics/December-2017-Short-E-Mail-Report.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

Jan '18 also posted with another large int'l gain, but also a 7.6% increase in operations which is just another example of the projections in the master plan draft being too conservative.
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/getattachment/Newsroom/Airport-Statistics/January-2018-Short-E-Mail-Report.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

Perhaps PIT can learn a thing or two from little ol' Clarksburgh, WV about land use planning:
"CKB is not the sole source of economic growth for the prospering aerospace industry. Companies that specialize in aircraft or aircraft engine related maintenance, overhaul or manufacturing are experiencing their own economic success in the Mountain State. Firms, such as Bombardier, Pratt & Whitney, and Aurora Flight Sciences, have been creating local jobs for West Virginians for decades and are now expanding their facilities.

More and more people are finding that aerospace companies in West Virginia are open for business and have every intention of soaring, precisely like the products they service. As advertised by the Mid-Atlantic Aerospace Complex, CKB’s commercial service runway has space available for other businesses ready to move into the region and already has an abundance of resources available.
"
https://www.wvnews.com/statejournal/opinion/robust-aerospace-industry-is-one-of-west-virginia-s-greatest/article_6bc82039-669a-5930-a6f1-147f52e28232.html

They also have a task force to market their airport sites to aviation related companies around the world:
"The Mid-Atlantic Aerospace Complex (MAAC) markets and promotes the capabilities in aviation and aerospace of the North Central West Virginia Airport and its component members to government, industrial clients and prospects throughout the world.

Today, the complex employs more than 1,300 people in aviation-related jobs and has an economic impact of over $1 billion. At 7,800 feet, the North Central West Virginia Airport has the largest commercial service runway in the state — and there’s space available for your business along it
."
http://www.maacinc.com/about-us/

Fluff piece video about the Qatar Cargo flight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkCqIv1DOSg

ctrabs0114

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm surprised that PIT doesn't post a market share breakdown for their monthly reports like they do for the year end report...

ConcourseZ

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Cargo up 5%. Would think it would be higher with Qatar operating here.

JamesRenard

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:12 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
I wonder if Delta would add CVG so quick after the SLC addition?

Delta's actually announced quite a few new flights and increases in service at PIT since July last year:
  • July '17: Service to BOS announced, starting in October
  • September '17: Larger planes for seasonal CDG service
  • January '18: An additional flight to BOS and service to SLC both announced

It certainly looks as though Delta is trying to increase their presence at PIT. If so, a PIT-CVG route could be on the cards. Especially if OneJet doesn't resume their service.

PITflier

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:30 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Jan '18 also posted with another large int'l gain, but also a 7.6% increase in operations which is just another example of the projections in the master plan draft being too conservative.
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/getattachment/Newsroom/Airport-Statistics/January-2018-Short-E-Mail-Report.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

Even if the remaining 11 months of the year were exactly the same as last year, which they won't be, we're already well over 9m passengers.

And we have an additional weekly flight on Condor and larger aircraft on Delta for the CDG flight to look forward to.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos