DeltaRules

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:48 pm

knope2001 wrote:
Teeeye81 wrote:
Does anybody know what's up with OneJet? Did they shut down for the holidays? Haven't seen any scheduled flights for 2 weeks on flightaware.

They do shut down for the holidays. No flights the weeks starting 12/25 and 1/1. Unfortunately here in Milwaukee the flight display boards just show their normal weekday flights as Cancelled which looks bad. It would be better if they remove them or if the status could be "NO OP" which I've seen other airline use.

What is a little more puzzling is what is coming back and when.

Week of 1/8
All PIT markets restart except Cincinnati, Louisville, Richmond

Week of 1/15
PIT-SDF, MKE-CMH, MKE-OMA restart

Flights from PIT to Cincinnati and Richmond do not show available to book any time in the 2018. They look on the OneJet site similar to how discontinued Nashville does -- still in the dropdown box but any week you try says no flights available.

What's especially odd is that back in late November / early December I noticed Cincinnati was not able to be booked in January while other markets were, yet just a week or two ago the OAG thread showed all OneJet's routes being pushed out for Jan/Feb/Mar at the normal frequency including PIT-CVG.

I'd really like to see these guys be a little more professional with their PR. No, I don't expect a big press release on dropping a route of course -- few airlines do that. But you jerk around your customers when you leave them in the dark. Certainly business demand mostly evaporates between the holidays and it might be the right call to not fly this week. But there are definitely business travelers this week and next, and to leave them wondering what happened to OneJet is bad.

I get that OneJet didn't keep PIT-BNA because Southwest kills the fare level OneJet needs. But I definitely don't like seeing CVG and RIC likely on the chopping block. They didn't stand out as especially weak in traffic or fare to me so one wonders what's up.

Are there any stats as to load factors for OneJet at PIT? We're talking this in the Ohio thread, as they made their debut on CMH's monthly report yesterday and averaged 4 inbound and 4.67 per outbound flight in November (their first month; they announced and started within a month), and that's like a 57 and 65% LF, which sounds awful until you take into account that their planes hold 7 passengers.

What do they consider to be a "strong" market, or even one which is holding its own?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

flyPIT

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:06 am

knope2001 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Looks like PIT-JHW will be getting the axe due to lack of EAS funding:
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/63056-us-dot-terminates-eas-subsidy-for-jamestown-ny

Unfortunately nearly all of Southern’s operation in the Mid-Atlantic is in serious danger of losing EAS. Except for markets 210+ miles from a medium- or large-hub airport the per-passenger cap cannot exceed $200. Only Morgantown meets that requirement. In addition to that Jamestown, Altoona, Franklin and DuBois also boarded fewer than 10 passengers per day which will also get you kicked off of EAS.

Per-passenger cap
$460 Jamestown**
$448 Altoona**
$413 Franklin/Oil City**
$412 DuBois**
$379 Lancaster
$281 Johnstown
$242 Bradford
$241 Hagerstown
$156 Morgantown

**also did not enplane at least 10 passengers per day, an EAS requirement**

Southern's subsidy for these routes is about $21 million per year and they form something of a critical mass for them, one which lets them try something unsubsidized like PIT-MDT. With planes and crew and facilities already in Pennsylvania and (generally) paid for by EAS it's comparably cheap to try Harrisburg, and maybe eventually Youngstown or Toledo or who knows.

About 25% of the 110-ish EAS markets (outside of Alaska) were in violation of minimum enplanements or excessive per-passenger subsidy and most got a waiver to continue receiving subsidy. Many of those airports made a case on why they can get back in compliance – perhaps they had a service hiatus or have a new carrier which offers much better service versus the carrier they had. But this group of PA/MD markets are worrisome as I don’t see a big reason why traffic will boom – in some traffic would need to more than double to get under the $200 cap. Not that Southern is a crappy carrier or that they have not been trying, but It’s a tough sell. The DoT is fairly slow to kick cities off of EAS but their patience isn't endless -- scores of cities have lost EAS over the years.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the article but my impression was that while the Mid-Atlandic markets (except MGW) are all operating under an exemption until Sept '18, the situation at JHW is so bad that only JHW might lose its exemption in the next couple weeks and the others are safe until at least Sept. However, if JHW is able to secure its exemption then I would think all the others are safe past Sept,
FLYi

knope2001

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:36 am

flyPIT wrote:
knope2001 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Looks like PIT-JHW will be getting the axe due to lack of EAS funding:
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/63056-us-dot-terminates-eas-subsidy-for-jamestown-ny

Unfortunately nearly all of Southern’s operation in the Mid-Atlantic is in serious danger of losing EAS. Except for markets 210+ miles from a medium- or large-hub airport the per-passenger cap cannot exceed $200. Only Morgantown meets that requirement. In addition to that Jamestown, Altoona, Franklin and DuBois also boarded fewer than 10 passengers per day which will also get you kicked off of EAS.

Per-passenger cap
$460 Jamestown**
$448 Altoona**
$413 Franklin/Oil City**
$412 DuBois**
$379 Lancaster
$281 Johnstown
$242 Bradford
$241 Hagerstown
$156 Morgantown

**also did not enplane at least 10 passengers per day, an EAS requirement**

Southern's subsidy for these routes is about $21 million per year and they form something of a critical mass for them, one which lets them try something unsubsidized like PIT-MDT. With planes and crew and facilities already in Pennsylvania and (generally) paid for by EAS it's comparably cheap to try Harrisburg, and maybe eventually Youngstown or Toledo or who knows.

About 25% of the 110-ish EAS markets (outside of Alaska) were in violation of minimum enplanements or excessive per-passenger subsidy and most got a waiver to continue receiving subsidy. Many of those airports made a case on why they can get back in compliance – perhaps they had a service hiatus or have a new carrier which offers much better service versus the carrier they had. But this group of PA/MD markets are worrisome as I don’t see a big reason why traffic will boom – in some traffic would need to more than double to get under the $200 cap. Not that Southern is a crappy carrier or that they have not been trying, but It’s a tough sell. The DoT is fairly slow to kick cities off of EAS but their patience isn't endless -- scores of cities have lost EAS over the years.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the article but my impression was that while the Mid-Atlandic markets (except MGW) are all operating under an exemption until Sept '18, the situation at JHW is so bad that only JHW might lose its exemption in the next couple weeks and the others are safe until at least Sept. However, if JHW is able to secure its exemption then I would think all the others are safe past Sept,

Yup -- Jamestown is done but the others have a reprieve until September. If they haven't boarded at least 10 passengers per day and had a subsidy under $200 they'll be on next year's termination list again. At that point they'll either get another waiver or lose EAS.

Runway28L

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Re: OneJet and potential future fleet

Someone above mentioned the idea of OneJet and the C-Series. I was thinking something like the E175 or used E170s would be great for them. Would be a major upgrade over the 9-seaters and ERJs they have and would give them the ablity to have a further reach.

Only problem would be whether or not they could fill up a 70-76 seat plane. They did just acquire the 135 so it's probably too early to tell, but it's still something that is interesting to think about :scratchchin:

AaronPGH

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:21 pm

I wonder if they did something more like a business class heavy E175 would work? Product wise, it would be more similar to what they already have on offer with their business jets, and it would lower the seat count on the plane that they'd have to fill.

PITexpress

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:56 am

Apparently G4 is launching PIT > AFB & PIT > SRQ?
http://www.post-gazette.com/business/ne ... 1801090038

flyPIT

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 am

Someone updated PIT's Wikipedia page to suggest United uses mainline equipment seasonally to EWR. Does anyone know more about this?

PITexpress wrote:
Apparently G4 is launching PIT > AFB & PIT > SRQ?
http://www.post-gazette.com/business/ne ... 1801090038
Charleston = CHS. That's a great add for PIT, as is mainline service to SRQ. There should be room for both Elite and G4 on that one.
FLYi

Runway28L

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:03 pm

G4 starts SRQ April 11th. A little late considering Spring Training is done at the end of March.

Runway28L

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:03 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Someone updated PIT's Wikipedia page to suggest United uses mainline equipment seasonally to EWR. Does anyone know more about this?

Yeah I wonder why that is there since UA never uses mainline to EWR on a regular basis (I wish they did though). But I have noticed that there was a 739 operating a scheduled flight last week and two weeks before that there was an on-again-and-off-again 73G on the route. And I believe at some point last spring there was a 1x weekly A319 operating something like Sunday-only despite lasting for about 3 weeks.

flightsimer

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Re: OneJet and potential future fleet

Someone above mentioned the idea of OneJet and the C-Series. I was thinking something like the E175 or used E170s would be great for them. Would be a major upgrade over the 9-seaters and ERJs they have and would give them the ablity to have a further reach.

-
Only problem would be whether or not they could fill up a 70-76 seat plane. They did just acquire the 135 so it's probably too early to tell, but it's still something that is interesting to think about :scratchchin:

The E170/175 burns roughly 1800lbs of fuel per hour per engine cruising around Mach .76 at altitude. While I love flying the plane, I'm not convinced it would be a good plane for an airline's main fleet from a cost perspective.

The C series I believe burns a similar amount, carries more passengers and has a substantially larger range which would allow for non-stop west coast and mountain state flights. This is an area where Onejet could really expand into and make a name for themselves. LAX, SFO, SAN, PDX, SEA, DEN, SLC, LAS, all could see either new or expanded service with the C series, especially if HQ2 lands here. It would also allow for more future routes to the Caribbean.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

ctrabs0114

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:30 am

Runway28L wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Yeah I wonder why that is there since UA never uses mainline to EWR on a regular basis (I wish they did though). But I have noticed that there was a 739 operating a scheduled flight last week and two weeks before that there was an on-again-and-off-again 73G on the route. And I believe at some point last spring there was a 1x weekly A319 operating something like Sunday-only despite lasting for about 3 weeks.

As best as I can tell, no airline uses mainline aircraft to fly between KPIT and the New York area (KJFK, KLGA or KEWR).
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL

CaptainMidnight

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

As best as I can tell, no airline uses mainline aircraft to fly between KPIT and the New York area (KJFK, KLGA or KEWR).

Yeah, I believe you are right. Funny enough I went searching and WN8503 went from PIT-EWR this morning: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KPIT/KEWR

Looks like it was just for positioning though. The 737 used for it (N455WN) was supposed to run PIT-MDW this morning but that was cancelled. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n455wn

ConcourseZ

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Interesting, that ICE today announced non-stop flights to MCI.

flyPIT

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
Interesting, that ICE today announced non-stop flights to MCI.

Great add for MCI but I find it a bit more interesting that FI added BWI, where WOW Air will be up to 11 weekly flights and FI already serves nearby IAD with even greater frequency, and that FI will be adding CLE and DFW also to compete directly with WOW.
FLYi

727LOVER

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 pm

flyPIT wrote:
That's a great add for PIT, as is mainline service to SRQ. There should be room for both Elite and G4 on that one.

Apparently not....Elite Airways has yanked PIT

W O W.....just like that !

:o
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

dabpit

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Not surprised....Elite has a history of yanking service not long after they announce it.

It is never worth booking a flight with Elite since this happens often with them.
Carpe Diem

727LOVER

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:53 pm

dabpit wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Not surprised....Elite has a history of yanking service not long after they announce it.

It is never worth booking a flight with Elite since this happens often with them.

But wasn't there financial backing on this route? What happens to that?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

flyPIT

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 pm

It would have been nice to have both carriers but Allegiant is much more suited for this route than a CR2, which I imagine could have weight restrictions when full resulting in checked bags being left behind. This happens all the time on AA's PIT-MIA flight with the E-145s.

727LOVER wrote:
But wasn't there financial backing on this route? What happens to that?
It certainly won't be paid to Elite if that's what you are asking. That's fine with me, as per our previous discussion it it BS SRQ was not sharing in that incentive. Could it be transferred to Allegiant? I suppose but it seems like G4 entered SRQ on their own and will make it a destination city. This article states PIT-CHS (only) will get a small marketing incentive.
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13158317-74/allegiant-air-to-launch-service-to-charleston-and-sarasota-from-pittsburgh

Lost in that article is that G4 will base a couple more airplanes at PIT and add 50 more jobs.

Pittsburgh is ranked as a top growth city according to one way U-haul rentals:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/u-haul-migration-trends-tempe-tagged-as-nations-top-growth-city-of-2017-300579811.html
Pittsburgh's stagnant population growth is often cited in the many A.net "my city is better than your city" threads. So while the older than average population dies off the fact that many young people are moving to the region bodes well for PIT. These are the people that travel often.
FLYi

Runway28L

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:24 pm

No doubt Elite pulled the plug because of Allegiant. The value of that route for Elite diminished once they lost that brief monopoly they had.

AaronPGH

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 am

That strategy isn't going to work for Elite If they ever want to amount to anything.

Midwestindy

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 am

AaronPGH wrote:
That strategy isn't going to work for Elite If they ever want to amount to anything.

I can't really blame Elite on this one, I feel like the airport should have let Elite know that G4 was planning to add PIT-SRQ
2018: ATL, BOS, CDG, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, HPN, JFK, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, MIA, MSP, ORD, PHL, SAN, SJD, SLC, SFO, TPA, ZRH....Loading....

ctrabs0114

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:34 am

CaptainMidnight wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

Yeah, I believe you are right. Funny enough I went searching and WN8503 went from PIT-EWR this morning: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KPIT/KEWR

Looks like it was just for positioning though. The 737 used for it (N455WN) was supposed to run PIT-MDW this morning but that was cancelled. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n455wn

From previous threads, any WN85xx flight is typically a ferry/repositioning flight, so that makes sense. I wouldn't mind seeing WN at least look into KPIT to KEWR or KLGA within a couple of years if they can get a slot at either.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL

flyPIT

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 pm

Nothing surprising, but here is some insight in to Elite's decision to not start PIT:

"Airport CEO Frederick “Rick” Piccolo confirmed on Thursday that the flights had been canceled. Elite officials told Piccolo they couldn’t compete with Allegiant’s ultra-low-cost fares.

Ticket sales hadn’t been particularly strong and, while they were steadily picking up, Piccolo said, Elite CEO John Pearsall didn’t feel it would a profitable move for the company.

“He wanted to cut the damage as soon possible,” Piccolo said.

The boutique airline, which has one-way ticket prices that start at $199, operates a fleet of Bombardier CRJ-200 and CRJ-700 planes, which are 50- and 70-seat aircraft, respectively. The company is known for its customer service and no-hidden-fees model.

That’s a stark contrast to the Pittsburgh service Sarasota-Bradenton is getting now on Allegiant, which offers one-way ticket prices as low as $50 but is quick to charge additional fees. With Allegiant, customers pay to bring anything larger than a personal item and even have to pay to print out their boarding passes.
"
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180 ... -bradenton

I was hoping for Elite's success not because of the SRQ route but because they stated they were looking at other Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, and Midwest routes from PIT.
FLYi

Runway28L

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 am

So with FI aggressively pushing back against WW for dominance in the NA-Iceland market and connections to Europe by starting CLE, DFW, and now SFO and BWI... could we potentially see them look at PIT?

IMHO I think it's fairly possible, but I also wonder if DL and DE are holding FI back from starting PIT. But if they want to get a foothold in Pittsburgh, they would have to make a move sooner rather than later, especially since D8 has ambitions to serve PIT in the future and a possible entry by EI.

A 7M8 or even a 752 would be a great plane for this route, but it really depends if the market would become over-saturated, especially in the future.

ConcourseZ

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:20 am

I still questions the logic of two Icelandic airlines serving CLE. I would think if another carrier comes in flying to continental Europe, both would not survive.

flyPIT

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:05 am

CLE is not the DFW Metroplex or Potomac Region. I still maintain that both Icelandic carriers announcing CLE within one day was some sort of comedy of errors in which the left hand was not talking to the right hand at CLE and no one - including either airline - believed both would end up serving CLE. We'll see if it lasts; maybe it will because of their different departure times. DFW and IAD/BWI is a different story. So I really don't see FI adding PIT now that WW has a foothold here, and nor do I want them too. If WW ever builds up to something like 11x weekly service then perhaps but I don't see that happening for a very very long time if ever.
FLYi

AaronPGH

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:09 pm

I think it is too late for Icelandair in PIT. WOW has such a huge leg up on marketing at this point – they've captured the minds of almost anyone under 40 in this town. In Cleveland, both airlines are at least starting from the same base level of awareness, other than CLE market possibly being aware of WOW from PIT marketing.

masseybrown

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:12 pm

flyPIT wrote:
CLE is not the DFW Metroplex or Potomac Region. I still maintain that both Icelandic carriers announcing CLE within one day was some sort of comedy of errors in which the left hand was not talking to the right hand at CLE and no one - including either airline - believed both would end up serving CLE. We'll see if it lasts;

I think the success of both will depend on WW and FI's ability to draw traffic from the CMH region, about 2 hours away by car. So far, together they're offering only 9 flights a week.

flymco753

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 pm

PIT to KEF is matured unlike CLE, STL and CVG so I can see FI co-existing with WW, they'll probably be merged or FI will use WOW as the "hip" ULCC product. I do see FI going into PIT though, it'll most likely present a tough case for other European service though, particularly DY/D8, Level, and EI. There's just not enough room for all of the Euro LCC's in a mid-sized market unless PIT doesn't want BA.
Whether you call Central Florida home, or your favorite travel destination, we hope that you’ll return soon! Have a pleasant flight.

*Future Route Network Planner*

lakeeffect

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 pm

flyPIT wrote:
CLE is not the DFW Metroplex or Potomac Region. I still maintain that both Icelandic carriers announcing CLE within one day was some sort of comedy of errors in which the left hand was not talking to the right hand at CLE and no one - including either airline - believed both would end up serving CLE. We'll see if it lasts; maybe it will because of their different departure times. DFW and IAD/BWI is a different story. So I really don't see FI adding PIT now that WW has a foothold here, and nor do I want them too. If WW ever builds up to something like 11x weekly service then perhaps but I don't see that happening for a very very long time if ever.

For CLE, Icelandair is 5x weekly on a 737 and WOW is 4x weekly A321. This ends up being a daily schedule to KEF from CLE, with only Tuesday and Sunday having both carriers running a flight. There’ll probably be people using one carrier for the outbound and a different one for the return based on their travel dates.

The Icelandair and Wow service at CLE this summer ends up being about 1600 weekly seats to Europe, which is still less than half of what PIT has during the summer. I think both carriers can easily survive.

flyPIT

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 pm

lakeeffect wrote:
The Icelandair and Wow service at CLE this summer ends up being about 1600 weekly seats to Europe, which is still less than half of what PIT has during the summer. I think both carriers can easily survive.

Both carriers easily surviving may very well be the case. My only point was when they set out to gain European service I don't think CLE officials envisioned having two carriers to the same destination (and both announced within one day no less) because it does hurt the chances for CLE gaining a second European destination.
FLYi

Jshank83

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 pm

lakeeffect wrote:

For CLE, Icelandair is 5x weekly on a 737 and WOW is 4x weekly A321. This ends up being a daily schedule to KEF from CLE, with only Tuesday and Sunday having both carriers running a flight. There’ll probably be people using one carrier for the outbound and a different one for the return based on their travel dates.

The next question would be, do you think halfish the people traveling to Europe from CLE are going to choose one of these airlines? Seems high to me but I really don't know the CLE demographics.

ConcourseZ

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 pm

GTI8624, a 744-400 from Jacksonville, just landed, perhaps carrying the Jacksonville Jaguars team?

Jshank83

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:14 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
GTI8624, a 744-400 from Jacksonville, just landed, perhaps carrying the Jacksonville Jaguars team?

Yes. They always fly an Atlas 747.

Runway28L

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 am

ConcourseZ wrote:

Yep it was indeed the Jacksonville Jagoffs ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/154462236@ ... ed-public/

Runway28L

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm

DL appears to be adding a 3rd daily BOS flight in June per OAG, so they're back to where they were on this route in 2011 in terms of frequency.

This is on top of B6 upgrading their nightly arrival/morning departure to an A320.

ConcourseZ

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Runway28L wrote:
DL appears to be adding a 3rd daily BOS flight in June per OAG, so they're back to where they were on this route in 2011 in terms of frequency.

This is on top of B6 upgrading their nightly arrival/morning departure to an A320.

Did not know about the A320. Nice to see that addition.

flyPIT

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Runway28L wrote:

The interesting thing is the third DL flight will be a CR9 and the other two will also remain CR9s so this is a nice jump in capacity.

The B6 A320 is only for one more month. They did this last year too; no idea why.

This will bring PIT-BOS up to 12 daily flights during peak summer season if nothing else changes.
FLYi

flyPIT

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 am

July '17 int'l stats are available; here were PIT's Trans-Atlantic loads:

PIT-CDG 63%
PIT-FRA 86%
PIT-KEF 74%

CDG-PIT 90%
FRA-PIT 95%
KEF-PIT 80%

Couple points:
- I was tracking loads over the summer and noticed PIT-CDG loads fell off a cliff for July, as we see here. But it was a similar story at CVG and August bounced back nicely. At least CDG-PIT was strong for July.
- Condor remained the bright spot but I'm disappointed no freight or mail was carried eastbound and only minimal freight westbound. This needs to change considering the 763 has good cargo carrying capacity (unlike the 757 and A321).

Out of curiosity I checked Porter:
PIT-YTZ 46%
YTZ-PIT 49%
As bad as those numbers are its much better than what I would have expected based on the anecdotal hearsay posted in this thread. Again too bad they don't have 37 and/or 50 seat Dash-8s; I still hate that we lost this carrier.

The Allegheny County Chief Executive was interviewed this morning on KDKA. The terminal rebuild was discussed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJvqNrJWduo
Good discussion about the region's HQ2 bid as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT-kgHsuIUs
FLYi

ConcourseZ

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 pm

flyPIT wrote:

PIT-CDG 63%
PIT-FRA 86%
PIT-KEF 74%

CDG-PIT 90%
FRA-PIT 95%
KEF-PIT 80%

Couple points:
- I was tracking loads over the summer and noticed PIT-CDG loads fell off a cliff for July, as we see here. But it was a similar story at CVG and August bounced back nicely. At least CDG-PIT was strong for July.
- Condor remained the bright spot but I'm disappointed no freight or mail was carried eastbound and only minimal freight westbound. This needs to change considering the 763 has good cargo carrying capacity (unlike the 757 and A321).

Out of curiosity I checked Porter:
PIT-YTZ 46%
YTZ-PIT 49%
As bad as those numbers are its much better than what I would have expected based on the anecdotal hearsay posted in this thread. Again too bad they don't have 37 and/or 50 seat Dash-8s; I still hate that we lost this carrier.

The Allegheny County Chief Executive was interviewed this morning on KDKA. The terminal rebuild was discussed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJvqNrJWduo
Good discussion about the region's HQ2 bid as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT-kgHsuIUs

With regard to DL, do you know what cargo volume they had last summer on the PIT-CDG route with the 757? With the PIT-CDG route upgrade to a 767, would DL aggressively seek the cargo business?

flyPIT

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:04 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
With regard to DL, do you know what cargo volume they had last summer on the PIT-CDG route with the 757? With the PIT-CDG route upgrade to a 767, would DL aggressively seek the cargo business?

They didn't carry any cargo but that's what I would expect with a 757.
FLYi

Runway28L

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:15 am

flyPIT wrote:

PIT-CDG 63%
PIT-FRA 86%
PIT-KEF 74%

CDG-PIT 90%
FRA-PIT 95%
KEF-PIT 80%

Couple points:

I find it interesting that the outbound LFs were much lower in comparison to the inbound LFs. I wonder why that is.

tarmacphotos

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 am

Runway28L wrote:
I find it interesting that the outbound LFs were much lower in comparison to the inbound LFs. I wonder why that is.

Maybe people traveling onward in Europe and returning from other cities that do not have direct PIT flights?

flyPIT

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 am

Runway28L wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

PIT-CDG 63%
PIT-FRA 86%
PIT-KEF 74%

CDG-PIT 90%
FRA-PIT 95%
KEF-PIT 80%

Couple points:

June outbound numbers were strong, I think it is simply a matter of many of those June folks returning home. Makes sense as long as more than 50% of the point of sales is from PIT. But why would more people be traveling to Europe in June vs July? I dunno.
FLYi

ConcourseZ

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Article in BusinessWeek yesterday. The Keflavik airport will spend $1-billion to increase capacity. They have had a ten-fold increase in traffic over the past nine years. Expect 10-million people this year. Having been to Keflavik, they need a major capacity boost ASAP.

PITingres

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
Article in BusinessWeek yesterday. The Keflavik airport will spend $1-billion to increase capacity. They have had a ten-fold increase in traffic over the past nine years. Expect 10-million people this year. Having been to Keflavik, they need a major capacity boost ASAP.

Indeed. My wife flew into KEF in 2002, and when we went through there on WOW last October, she was shocked.

I don't know if WOW is sustainable but I sure hope it is. For a non-rushed trip, I found (somewhat to my surprise) that I prefer the one-stop in KEF over the usual JFK / PHL / whatever then TATL. I arrived feeling more refreshed thanks to the break in KEF. That airport is being crushed though!
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Jshank83

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Wow is having a sale for under $100 each way to a bunch of places from PIT. Just passing it along.

pitbosflyer

Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 pm

PITingres wrote:
ConcourseZ wrote:

Indeed. My wife flew into KEF in 2002, and when we went through there on WOW last October, she was shocked.

I don't know if WOW is sustainable but I sure hope it is. For a non-rushed trip, I found (somewhat to my surprise) that I prefer the one-stop in KEF over the usual JFK / PHL / whatever then TATL. I arrived feeling more refreshed thanks to the break in KEF. That airport is being crushed though!

Just wanted to give alittle plug. Another great option to connect for TATL comes with the addition of the afternoon Boston flight from DL. Now its super easy to connect with DL and their codeshare partner's evening bank of TATL flights. Delta's terminal in BOS is pretty nice and way less of a zoo than JFK. I've done it returning from LHR once now really enjoyed it. Never gonna come close to WOW's prices though.

Runway28L

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 am

I have no idea when this was done but I just saw a recent picture of the interior of Concourse B and it appears that along with the new carpet and design they completely got rid of the drywall that was blocking the end of the concourse off.