B752OS

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 pm

What's going to happen to the AA Admirals Club on the soon to be old AA side of Terminal B? The Admirals club on the soon to be consolidated side is undergoing renovations.

chrisnh

Fri May 25, 2018 1:34 am

Which region likely has the most profitable flights out of Boston...those going to Asia, those going to the Middle East, those going to Europe, or those going to South America?

tlecam

Fri May 25, 2018 1:44 am

My guess is Europe.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

NickolayAv

Sun May 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Quick question. I noticed that certain seasonal flights go daily in the summer and don't fly at all during the winter? For those flights is there really that large of a discrepancy between the summer and winter pax, that it can't even sustain 3-4 weekly flights during the winter?
The flights I'm thinking of are AC BOS-YVR and DL BOS-DUB, I'm sure there are a few more.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

hinckley

Sun May 27, 2018 11:02 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Quick question. I noticed that certain seasonal flights go daily in the summer and don't fly at all during the winter? For those flights is there really that large of a discrepancy between the summer and winter pax, that it can't even sustain 3-4 weekly flights during the winter? The flights I'm thinking of are AC BOS-YVR and DL BOS-DUB, I'm sure there are a few more.

Just venturing a guess, but I'd think it depends on the route. There probably is a huge difference in the number of summer pax on a route like BOS-DUB, given all the historic ties between the two cities/countries. Not so much with BOS-YVR though, but maybe AC thinks that they need to go daily to be viable on a route like that?

Oddly enough, I think that BOS-YVR was a much more viable route back before BOS had Asia service. Back then, I transferred there on CP more than once. Good GC routing, great transfer airport, pre-clearance while waiting for your connecting flight on the return . . . it all worked great.

VS4ever

Mon May 28, 2018 12:53 am

hinckley wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Quick question. I noticed that certain seasonal flights go daily in the summer and don't fly at all during the winter? For those flights is there really that large of a discrepancy between the summer and winter pax, that it can't even sustain 3-4 weekly flights during the winter? The flights I'm thinking of are AC BOS-YVR and DL BOS-DUB, I'm sure there are a few more.

Just venturing a guess, but I'd think it depends on the route. There probably is a huge difference in the number of summer pax on a route like BOS-DUB, given all the historic ties between the two cities/countries. Not so much with BOS-YVR though, but maybe AC thinks that they need to go daily to be viable on a route like that?

Oddly enough, I think that BOS-YVR was a much more viable route back before BOS had Asia service. Back then, I transferred there on CP more than once. Good GC routing, great transfer airport, pre-clearance while waiting for your connecting flight on the return . . . it all worked great.

I think the answer is pretty clear in the monthly statistics from Massport, July 17 436,000 were tagged as European travelers. Jan 18 198,000. Now that’s an extreme, but even a reduction on the flight levels, planes aren’t going out at capacity. So honestly it’s not needed. EI has the DUB market covered and even they didn’t go daily for the entire winter. Even LHR the biggest Route gets drops in capacity for the winter season and I’ve seen average loads in the past in the high 60’s. If we were seeing 90’s in December there might be some merit to adding more, but honestly with the BOS weather from Dec to Feb, it’s not a place that’s as attractive to come to unless you have to be there.
I would love all the routes to be year round, Massport would too of course and IB have just done exactly that, but they are the exception to the rule.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

B752OS

Mon May 28, 2018 1:08 am

Business travel to/from Europe has to be pretty consistent year round for the most part. Of course tourism is a different story. Late April through October is prime tourism season for Europeans visiting Boston and the region and people from this area heading over to Europe. Boston is not different than most cities in regards to the drop in passengers number coinciding with winter. Boston can be a rough place to visit in January February, just like NYC can be, Chicago can be, etc.

Ireland is a market where there is a large amount of business demand, in addition to the large VFR and tourist traffic.

NickolayAv

Mon May 28, 2018 3:13 am

VS4ever wrote:
hinckley wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:

I think the answer is pretty clear in the monthly statistics from Massport, July 17 436,000 were tagged as European travelers. Jan 18 198,000. Now that’s an extreme, but even a reduction on the flight levels, planes aren’t going out at capacity. So honestly it’s not needed. EI has the DUB market covered and even they didn’t go daily for the entire winter. Even LHR the biggest Route gets drops in capacity for the winter season and I’ve seen average loads in the past in the high 60’s. If we were seeing 90’s in December there might be some merit to adding more, but honestly with the BOS weather from Dec to Feb, it’s not a place that’s as attractive to come to unless you have to be there.
I would love all the routes to be year round, Massport would too of course and IB have just done exactly that, but they are the exception to the rule.

I understand that demand drops because of tourism, but I would think there would be enough business/ VFR and a little tourism traffic to warrant a route that flies daily to fly maybe 2 or 3 or 4 times a week. I would thnk the carriers would be able to sustain them profitably on those levels.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

VS4ever

Mon May 28, 2018 5:32 am

NickolayAv wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
hinckley wrote:

I understand that demand drops because of tourism, but I would think there would be enough business/ VFR and a little tourism traffic to warrant a route that flies daily to fly maybe 2 or 3 or 4 times a week. I would thnk the carriers would be able to sustain them profitably on those levels.

If the already reduced capacities were going out close to full, i would agree with you and to B752OS's point there is a signifcant amount of general business travel to and from BOS at all times of the year, but if you send a 300 seater each way daily, that's 4,200 seats total in the summer, if you drop that to 3 weekly, you've still got to find 1,800 seats to fill in the winter and those are not being filled. However when the 321 LR's finally come on stream, THEN i think you might find your logic may work out, because trying to fill less than 200 seats each way 3 weekly (or 1,200) is much easier and is the prime example why many regional TATL flights have failed over the time, aircraft too big for the market, cost too much to run and then get routed to somewhere more profitable, let's revisit in 2020, it then might be a slightly different story,
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

airbazar

Mon May 28, 2018 12:50 pm

NickolayAv wrote:

The problem is once you drop to 2-3 weekly you lose your business passengers too.
VFR passengers don't really travel in the off-season either. Their travel patterns are identical to leisure patterns. In fact VFR more than leisure depend on school vacations for their travels. Having said that, as an European I will never understand why Americans subject themselves to an European vacation in the Summer months. It's not a beach vacation.

adamh8297

Mon May 28, 2018 1:50 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Which region likely has the most profitable flights out of Boston...those going to Asia, those going to the Middle East, those going to Europe, or those going to South America?

tlecam wrote:
My guess is Europe.

My hunch would be Europe but that's based on healthy business class or walk-ups paying full Y on business travel. One major area that was left out was Bahamas/Caribbean. Though some destinations are probably lower yielding that others (i.e MBJ is lower than PLS). I compared the average nonstop roundtrip fare in Y for seven night trip to AUA and LHR for the month of July.

Average fare was 703 for AUA minus taxes of 125.81 was 577.19. For a 4126 mile roundtrip it yielded 14.0 cents a mile
Average fare was 1051 for LHR minus taxes of 227.81 was 823.19. For a 6508 roundtrip it yielded 12.6 cents a mile.

Not a perfect analysis by any means but it should not surprise you why B6 is taking their time cautiously assessing whether they can get the higher yields on transatlantic since filling coach alone even at peak season levels isn't going to cut it. They may stick with the bread and butter (transcon's, Florida, Caribbean) at the end of the day.

NickolayAv wrote:
Quick question. I noticed that certain seasonal flights go daily in the summer and don't fly at all during the winter? For those flights is there really that large of a discrepancy between the summer and winter pax, that it can't even sustain 3-4 weekly flights during the winter?
The flights I'm thinking of are AC BOS-YVR and DL BOS-DUB, I'm sure there are a few more.

Pacific Northwest to Boston in general is highly seasonal due to non-ideal weather on both ends: PDX and SEA. though the latter has become a dogfight with 3 carriers. B6 only does PDX seasonally but they go big when serving it at 2x daily. Both destinations double in summer similarly to what happens with LH and AF in the past. I think we talked about a while back from one of the OAG threads but AS is sticking with 2 daily BOS-PDX throughout winter 2019.

airbazar wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Having said that, as an European I will never understand why Americans subject themselves to an European vacation in the Summer months. It's not a beach vacation.

On a personal level I agree with you I would never go to MAD or LIS in peak summer again but here are some reasons why they do go:

Some European destinations really have horrible weather and the ideal time is summer (Rick Steves recommends Ireland and Scandinavia during these months)
Easier to take time off in summer especially for those who teach or who are in Academia.
Families with the younger generation in different levels of schools (i.e one in middle school, one in high school, one in college) can only travel as a group in summer.
Some Americans are starting to go to beach or marine destinations (Greek Islands, Croatia/Montenegro, Balearics or just cruises in general)
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS, B6 BOS-PDX-BOS

airbazar

Mon May 28, 2018 4:06 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
On a personal level I agree with you I would never go to MAD or LIS in peak summer again but here are some reasons why they do go:

Some European destinations really have horrible weather and the ideal time is summer (Rick Steves recommends Ireland and Scandinavia during these months)
Easier to take time off in summer especially for those who teach or who are in Academia.
Families with the younger generation in different levels of schools (i.e one in middle school, one in high school, one in college) can only travel as a group in summer.
Some Americans are starting to go to beach or marine destinations (Greek Islands, Croatia/Montenegro, Balearics or just cruises in general)

All my friends take their kids out of school to go to Florida or Caribbean for a week in the Winter. But then they pay thru the nose to go to Paris in August and stand in line for hours in sweltering head to visit the Louvre. It's absolutely insane. I have visited Rome, London, and Vienna, all over xmas break. Yes it's not shorts weather but for walking around and visiting museums is 100x better than in August. Yes, if youre doing a beach vacation in Greece or Portugal Summer is better obviously although being from Portugal I can tell you with 100% certainty that the best time for a beach vacation is actually September ;)

Dieuwer

Mon May 28, 2018 4:32 pm

I suggest Portugal over Thanksgiving. Relatively quiet but still very good weather.

B752OS

Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 pm

airbazar wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:

The problem is once you drop to 2-3 weekly you lose your business passengers too.
VFR passengers don't really travel in the off-season either. Their travel patterns are identical to leisure patterns. In fact VFR more than leisure depend on school vacations for their travels. Having said that, as an European I will never understand why Americans subject themselves to an European vacation in the Summer months. It's not a beach vacation.

Unless you're going to Northern Europe, I agree. I'd only visit places like Italy, Spain and France in either April or late September. Cooler temps (still very comfortable) and less crowds.

Dieuwer

Mon May 28, 2018 11:29 pm

No more flat beds BOS-LAX on AA, UA?? Or were there never any.. :confused:

tlecam

Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 am

The south of Europe in particular (Rome, Madrid, Athens) in particular are brutally hot in the summer. I was just in Florence and Rome during the first week in April and it was beautiful. We lucked out with very little rain, but it can be rainy during the spring and fall.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

adamh8297

Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 am

BTS/DOT released Q4 Table 6 numbers a couple weeks ago. Not a lot of decreases YOY!!!

Not much change to Top Ten unserved in PDEW

SAT - 164
SDF- 116
ABQ -112
MEM - 108
TUS - 90
OMA - 88
MSN - 80
GRR - 79
OKC - 79
GSP - 76

Top 10 Changes % wise in markets over 50 PDEW (Hurricane related? - people choosing SRQ/SAV over Caribbean/Puerto Rico?)

SRQ - 30.19%
SAV - 27.57%
ATL - 23.9%
ORF - 22.38%
SDF - 22.17%
CVG - 21.57%
MCI - 21.52%
PIT - 20.85%
OKC - 16.67%
MSN - 16.28%

Top 10 decreases % wise in markets over 50 PDEW

DAY - 23.49%
ROC - 15.41%
BHM - 13.61%
GSO - 4.43%
TYS -3.27%
SMF - 3.04
CLE -1.58
RIC - 1.19
CLT -0.96
MSP -0.30

Top 10 increases in PDEW in markets over 50 PDEW (once again no surprise at #1)
ATL - 326
NYC - 158
MCO - 146
LAX - 131
TPA -129
SFO - 124
CHI - 100
PIT -93
PHL -88
DEN -84

Top 10 decreases in PDEW in markets over 50 PDEW ( honestly nothing significant!!)
DAY -17
ROC -14
BHM -10
CLT -8
CLE -7
RIC -5
SMF -4
GSO -3
MSP -2
TYS -2
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS, B6 BOS-PDX-BOS

rnav2dlrey

Wed May 30, 2018 2:31 am

Dieuwer wrote:
No more flat beds BOS-LAX on AA, UA?? Or were there never any.. :confused:

can't speak for AA, but IIRC UA had a pmUA 752 ("p.s." with 28J lie flat seats) flying one of the two daily turns in summer 2015 and 2016. the frame was surplus because a few TATL 752 routes were upgauged to 763/4 for the summer.

AviationAddict

Wed May 30, 2018 1:48 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
BTS/DOT released Q4 Table 6 numbers a couple weeks ago. Not a lot of decreases YOY!!!

SAT - 164

I have to go to San Antonio in late January for the S&D Conference. Maybe I'll get lucky and B6 will start BOS-SAT by then!

NickolayAv

Wed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm

AviationAddict wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

SAT - 164

I have to go to San Antonio in late January for the S&D Conference. Maybe I'll get lucky and B6 will start BOS-SAT by then!

I wouldn't be surprised to see DL try to open the route before B6.

B752OS

Wed May 30, 2018 5:17 pm

https://www.massport.com/capitalprogram ... tation.pdf

Lots of good information on the Terminal E expansion projects. Phase 1 should be complete by November 2021. Some highlights of what Phase 1 will add:

4 new wide-body gates with dual jetbridges
Expanded ticketing
New security checkpoint with 8 lanes
Current security checkpoint removed and in its place expanded retail and expanded airline offices
Space for 4 airline clubs (looks like all the current clubs in the lower levels will be moving upstairs

Dieuwer

Wed May 30, 2018 5:30 pm

B752OS wrote:
https://www.massport.com/capitalprogramsattachments/L338-/L338-%20Briefing%20Presentation.pdf

Lots of good information on the Terminal E expansion projects. Phase 1 should be complete by November 2021. Some highlights of what Phase 1 will add:

Expanded ticketing
Current security checkpoint removed and in its place expanded retail and expanded airline offices
Space for 4 airline clubs (looks like all the current clubs in the lower levels will be moving upstairs

Where will the remote stands go to??

NickolayAv

Wed May 30, 2018 6:52 pm

B752OS wrote:
https://www.massport.com/capitalprogramsattachments/L338-/L338-%20Briefing%20Presentation.pdf

Expanded ticketing

Please tell me that the dual jet-bridges aren't two floored, but are on one floor to accommodate B777 and A350 with 2 jetbridges

B752OS

Wed May 30, 2018 7:24 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
B752OS wrote:

Expanded ticketing

Please tell me that the dual jet-bridges aren't two floored, but are on one floor to accommodate B777 and A350 with 2 jetbridges

They'll be the traditional variety it looks like. If you look at the layouts they have two smaller planes (look like 321s and/or 752s) parked at each of the 4 new gates. I think there also was an earlier render of 744s and 77Ws parked at the 4 new gates with dual jet-bridges.

airbazar

Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

There seems to be little impact to remote stands in Phase I. And with more gates there should be less of a need for remote stands.

NickolayAv wrote:

It actually appears that 3 of the 4 new gates will have 3 jet-bridges which will be flexible enough to either accommodate 1 widebody or 2 narrowbody planes.
And it also shows 3 jet-bridges where the current A380 gates are, which is something I expected from the beginning.

AviationAddict

Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 pm

B752OS wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
B752OS wrote:

Expanded ticketing

They'll be the traditional variety it looks like. If you look at the layouts they have two smaller planes (look like 321s and/or 752s) parked at each of the 4 new gates. I think there also was an earlier render of 744s and 77Ws parked at the 4 new gates with dual jet-bridges.

Agreed, it looks like each gate is designed to handle either a single widebody with dual bridges OR two narrowbodies with a single bridge each.

AviationAddict

Wed May 30, 2018 7:45 pm

airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

There seems to be little impact to remote stands in Phase I. And with more gates there should be less of a need for remote stands.

NickolayAv wrote:

It actually appears that 3 of the 4 new gates will have 3 jet-bridges which will be flexible enough to either accommodate 1 widebody or 2 narrowbody planes.
And it also shows 3 jet-bridges where the current A380 gates are, which is something I expected from the beginning.

Oh wow, you're right. I didn't see the third bridge at each gate. Should be a great facility when it's done!

tlecam

Wed May 30, 2018 7:54 pm

I have to say, I'm impressed. They're working with limited real estate and the designs are thoughtful and maximize the usable space.

cloudboy

Wed May 30, 2018 7:57 pm

That hike from E15/E16 is going to suck though. especially without moving walkways or something.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

VS4ever

Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm

cloudboy wrote:
That hike from E15/E16 is going to suck though. especially without moving walkways or something.

yeah, but you wait until Phase II is complete, the hike to E19 is going to be way worse!

jsteeves3

Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 pm

They said that their adding another security checkpoint so that should be closer to the newer gates.

hinckley

Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 pm

jsteeves3 wrote:
They said that their adding another security checkpoint so that should be closer to the newer gates.

I don't think it's another checkpoint, I think it's a replacement checkpoint. There'll still only be one, but it will be more centrally located in the new very spread out terminal.

hinckley

Thu May 31, 2018 12:05 am

I gotta say, Massport's capital projects have usually been very well managed, coming in on-time and on-budget. But November 2021 seems very aggressive to me for a project of this size that has not even started the approval process, including the usually very contentious neighborhood negotiations. The residents of East Boston will certainly get a few pounds of flesh for this approval.

chrisnh

Thu May 31, 2018 12:55 am

hinckley wrote:
I gotta say, Massport's capital projects have usually been very well managed, coming in on-time and on-budget. But November 2021 seems very aggressive to me for a project of this size that has not even started the approval process, including the usually very contentious neighborhood negotiations. The residents of East Boston will certainly get a few pounds of flesh for this approval.

I agree, but that ‘contentiousness’ might be built into Phase 2...Which seems to have a completion date about when we’ll all be zipping around in flying cars.

clrd4t8koff

Thu May 31, 2018 2:04 am

There's been lots of speculation recently as to where SQ will launch it's 3rd A359 ULH route, with service to NYC (EWR) being announced today and LAX coming later. With BOS now one of the top 10 financial centers in the world, and one of two cities in the top 10 not connected to SIN (YYZ the other), could BOS be a contender for this service? CX can fill a daily 77W with a F cabin and post consecutive monthly LF's of 90%+, couldn't SQ succeed with a smaller A359 and no F cabin?

Top 10 Finance Centers as of March 2018 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Fi ... tres_Index

NickolayAv

Thu May 31, 2018 3:16 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
There's been lots of speculation recently as to where SQ will launch it's 3rd A359 ULH route, with service to NYC (EWR) being announced today and LAX coming later. With BOS now one of the top 10 financial centers in the world, and one of two cities in the top 10 not connected to SIN (YYZ the other), could BOS be a contender for this service? CX can fill a daily 77W with a F cabin and post consecutive monthly LF's of 90%+, couldn't SQ succeed with a smaller A359 and no F cabin?

Top 10 Finance Centers as of March 2018 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Fi ... tres_Index

Could BOS be an airport that is a contender for this service? Yes, but it is almost guaranteed it won't be in BOS, I really think they will first try to go to either YYZ or ORD. Larger airports and cities, both are financial centers and have massive Star Alliance hubs. I know that the route is mostly aimed at O/D travelers, but I can see SQ hoping to have some transit pax and flying to a Star Alliance hub would give it that, something BOS cannot provide to the extent of YYZ or ORD. Could BOS be a possible future destination for SQ? Maybe, I really hope so, but for now, I think it will go to either YYZ or ORD.

hinckley

Thu May 31, 2018 3:57 am

NickolayAv wrote:
Could BOS be an airport that is a contender for this service? Yes, but it is almost guaranteed it won't be in BOS, I really think they will first try to go to either YYZ or ORD. Larger airports and cities, both are financial centers and have massive Star Alliance hubs. I know that the route is mostly aimed at O/D travelers, but I can see SQ hoping to have some transit pax and flying to a Star Alliance hub would give it that, something BOS cannot provide to the extent of YYZ or ORD. Could BOS be a possible future destination for SQ? Maybe, I really hope so, but for now, I think it will go to either YYZ or ORD.

I would bet on YYZ as well. As you say, these ULH routes are mostly about O&D, but YYZ is a natural transfer point for this sort of polar route (a YYZ stop only adds about 350 miles to the BOS-SIN gcm). If SQ and AC can coordinate their schedules, I think YYZ could be a winner for connecting US east coast and Midwest passengers, especially considering the pre-clearance benefit for the return flight.

ASA

Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Although a die-hard BOS fan myself - this one goes to YYZ, sadly. Apart from being a big Star hub, it is Canada's largest city and a huge global population - the PR potential will be hard to beat!

tlecam

Thu May 31, 2018 11:46 am

Agreed with the answers about SQ.

I wonder if the dynamic with the Eastie neighbors is changing with the gentrification underway.

airbazar

Thu May 31, 2018 12:16 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I agree, but that ‘contentiousness’ might be built into Phase 2...Which seems to have a completion date about when we’ll all be zipping around in flying cars.

That's exactly what it is. I'm not expecting any blowback for phase I because those gates were already approved as part of the previous terminal E renovation/expansion. Massport decided back then to not build those additional gates, for whatever reason.

As for SQ, I just don't see them going to YYZ. There's just no relevant O&D market between Canada and Singapore. Every time SQ tried serving Canada was thru an intermediary airport in order to take advantage of 5th freedom. With absolutely no one attempting SIN-YYZ any time soon, and Canada not awarding EK any more frequencies, I don't see SQ being in any hurry to introduce an expensive ULH flight on that route.

33lspotter

Thu May 31, 2018 1:34 pm

B752OS wrote:

Expanded ticketing

Dual jetbridges...will these (unlike the current ones) be able to accommodate both levels of a 744/748?

N766UA

Thu May 31, 2018 2:36 pm

33lspotter wrote:
B752OS wrote:

Expanded ticketing

Dual jetbridges...will these (unlike the current ones) be able to accommodate both levels of a 744/748?

747’s do not board from the upper deck. That’s an emergency exit door.

VS4ever

Thu May 31, 2018 4:59 pm

hinckley wrote:

Approval process has all been done, it was done during the early part of last year. Yes Eastie had a few things to say and did extract their flesh, but my understanding is that is all complete and agreed and therefore this project can proceed for the 2021 date, it's still aggressive in my book, but they are ready to go at this point.

NickolayAv

Thu May 31, 2018 5:15 pm

VS4ever wrote:
hinckley wrote:

Approval process has all been done, it was done during the early part of last year. Yes Eastie had a few things to say and did extract their flesh, but my understanding is that is all complete and agreed and therefore this project can proceed for the 2021 date, it's still aggressive in my book, but they are ready to go at this point.

Is it known when construction will begin?

AviationAddict

Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 pm

I would think the first step would have to be the removal of the Gulf station/Dunkin Donuts. Is Massport planning to relocate the station somewhere else? That place is hugely popular with the livery drivers, the place is always packed whenever I drive by. I would think the owners wouldn't give up the business without a fight.

FGITD

Thu May 31, 2018 5:45 pm

I believe the current plan is to start construction late fall, early winter. After all the chaos of the summer schedule subsides.

This is going to be far more than an extension. The whole "focus" of the terminal is going to be shifted, with security check points on either end of the current structure.

Also the new lounges are going to be absolutely incredible based on the ideas I've seen.

Some gates will be dual purpose, multiple narrow bodies or one widebody. The widebody gates will be able to use dual bridges, though I didn't see any plan for direct lounge to aircraft boarding.

We've also been told the whole North cargo area will be reconfigured to allow 2 taxiways. Good thing too, otherwise a plane pushing or arriving at E8/9/10 would completely block all traffic in or out of E11 to the eventual E19.

iyerhari

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:42 pm

BOS April-2018 numbers are out:
2018 total pax YTD: 11,887,401
2018 international pax YTD: 2,082,300
International pax as a % of domestic pax: 17.52%

Another good news - BOS has already overtaken MSP starting April-2018 and starting May onwards until Oct, is the busiest time for BOS. As per Massport, DL lead continues to grow over AA and by the end of the year, DL would have comprehensively overtaken AA in terms of market share. Just FYI, DL overtook AA for the first time in March-2018.

Addnl. stats for April 2018:

Apr-18 Apr-17 % change
Domestic 2,886,449 2,643,312 9.20%

Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 115,651 126,856 -8.83% OUCH!
Canada 85,746 80,773 6.16%
Central America 23,539 17,262 36.36% WOW!
Europe 292,792 302,296 -3.14% Surprising??
Middle East 48,661 49,907 -2.50%
South America 3,449 - #DIV/0!
Trans-Pacific 43,162 42,369 1.87%
Total International 613,000 619,463 -1.04%

General Aviation 9,158 9,058

Total Airport PAX 3,508,607 3,271,833 7.24%

Enjoy!

chrisnh

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Middle East down; I see no reason or optimism for EK to add a second flight or even to go to the A380. As for Central America, planes need to be bigger.

33lspotter

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:05 pm

N766UA wrote:
747’s do not board from the upper deck. That’s an emergency exit door.

You’re correct — I misspoke. What I meant to ask was if these gates will enable 747s (and other wide bodies) to board with two doors on the same level as they do at places like LHR I believe (IIRC E10-12 at BOS are not able to board two doors on the same level because the angles don’t jive).

NickolayAv

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:07 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Middle East down; I see no reason or optimism for EK to add a second flight or even to go to the A380. As for Central America, planes need to be bigger.

Give it more time to develop before increasing the size of the planes.