Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kearnet

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:45 am

VS4ever wrote:
B752OS wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Agenda for the latest board meeting has been posted, normally nothing really exciting is on it... but tomorrow (agenda attached)
http://www.massport.com/media/2986/agen ... 8-2018.pdf

We get this..

https://www.massport.com/capitalprogram ... tation.pdf

What is "this" I hear you ask... It's the Auto People Mover project, they are requesting a partial budget of $15m, if the timings stay true, this is to determine the final selection and potentially move forward.

What is the transportation center next to the car rental center?

I have a feeling that's the placement for one of the new parking garages that will go up. They call it a transportation center, because it would ideally be connected by either bus or APM. they could also route some of the regular bus routes there, to make it all fit together. I wish there was more info about it, but I am yet to be able to find it.

I believe (hope) it will be a centralized place for all commercial buses vehicles such as the Concord/Dartmouth Coaches, Logan Express, and taxi rank, ect. So instead of having those vehicles clogging the roadway going around to all the terminals there'll be one location for all

bpat777

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 am

Does anyone know total number of gates AA will have once all flights are under one roof?

VS4ever

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:55 am

bpat777 wrote:
Does anyone know total number of gates AA will have once all flights are under one roof?

Based on the projections shown in January, they will technically own 21, but 3 will be subleased to AC as they are now (B1-3) and it appears 2 could be shared with UA if required. So it’s 18 overall

airbazar

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am

Northeast748 wrote:
The TNC/App cars get really backed up by the Rental Car Center in the afternoons and I wonder how it will be affected if they are actually moving the gas station to that area so E can be expanded.

They and everyone else gets backed up wherever they can find space because there's no waiting area at Logan short of paying for parking. The cell phone lot is small and inconveniently located except for terminal E. When I go pick up family and friends at the airport I usually get off at the first exit after the tunnel and wait right there by the EZ Pass customer center until they gets to the curb and call me, and I'm not the only one doing that. It's far more convenient than the cell phone lot and if I'm hungry I can always get something at Santarpio's :)

tysmith95

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:32 pm

airbazar wrote:
tysmith95 wrote:
Lately the ride-share waiting lot has caused lots of traffic at the airport. The current lot is not large enough or well organized enough to handle the amount of traffic it has been getting.

The tunnels are also getting worse and worse. But that is harder to fix. Something to allow the Silver line to cut the line into the Ted Williams would be helpful though, along with something better at the Seaport.

Boston and Massport completely underestimated ride-share and they have nothing in place to handle the volume of cars that that business brings into Logan. That is the single biggest reason for the traffic congestion on the airport roadways. They created a huge taxi-pool parking area but no such thing exists for ride-share so those cars just circle around until they pickup a customer.

Massport does have a pickup area next to the Limo parking. It doesn't work well enough though, as traffic is often backed up to 1A from drivers trying to enter the lot. I think part of the issue is that Uber/Lyft has more volume then Taxis ever had.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Not directly related to Logan, but I would like to see a Red Line to Blue Line connector. Then you don't have to use the overcrowded Silver Line anymore.
Maybe the Blue Line can be extended to Charles/MGH underground. That would make for an easy transfer. Otherwise, if the weather is decent it's better to walk to Bowdoin than use the Silver Line from South Station.

adamh8297

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Not directly related to Logan, but I would like to see a Red Line to Blue Line connector. Then you don't have to use the overcrowded Silver Line anymore.
Maybe the Blue Line can be extended to Charles/MGH underground. That would make for an easy transfer. Otherwise, if the weather is decent it's better to walk to Bowdoin than use the Silver Line from South Station.

They are doing another study for a connector between the two. https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/file ... ility.pptx

There's even a concept to bring to blue line all the way to longwood. https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news ... -mbta.html

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:16 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

They are doing another study for a connector between the two. https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/file ... ility.pptx

There's even a concept to bring to blue line all the way to longwood. https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news ... -mbta.html

Cost estimates seem high.
As a comparison, the new North-South metro line in Amsterdam (9.3 miles) was recently build for 3.1 billion euros ($3.5B). The translates to $375M per mile. Bowdoin - MGH is about 0.5 mile. So it should cost less than $200M.
Note that building under the historical center of Amsterdam is MUCH more delicate than drilling under Cambridge street. And yes, the water table in Amsterdam is high too.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:06 am

tlecam

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:49 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Well, they’re going to put those extra satellite a gates to work.

I’m assuming 757 service.

adamh8297

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:28 am

tlecam wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Well, they’re going to put those extra satellite a gates to work.

I’m assuming 757 service.

Yes with D1. http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... h-us-route

Another ballsy move by DL in BOS!!!

airbazar

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:07 pm

adamh8297 wrote:

I believe it's more than just a study. This was an important part of the Amazon HQ2 bid. If Boston wins HQ2 this will happen.

Dieuwer wrote:

But this is Boston. Public works projects here are ridiculously expensive. Just look at the cost estimate for the people mover for Logan. It's about 3x more expensive per mile than the one that was built in MIA.

adamh8297 wrote:

I'm no longer bullish on B6 starting TATL service. It's starting to look more and more like they completely missed the boat on that one.
At this point, short of something huge happening like DY going out of business, I don't see B6 starting TATL from BOS which is a big change of opinion for me. Until about a month ago I thought that was a matter of when, not if.

iyerhari

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:37 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Yes with D1. http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/ ... h-us-route

It's supposed to be a seasonal destination. DL is doing an excellent job is gauging the market by launching seasonal TATL destinations - DUB, LIS and EDI. They are probably following the AA model at PHL. Once they see there is significant demand, they will go full swing. They are following a perfect model. Great work DL!

iyerhari

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

As a comparison, the new North-South metro line in Amsterdam (9.3 miles) was recently build for 3.1 billion euros ($3.5B). The translates to $375M per mile. Bowdoin - MGH is about 0.5 mile. So it should cost less than $200M.
Note that building under the historical center of Amsterdam is MUCH more delicate than drilling under Cambridge street. And yes, the water table in Amsterdam is high too.

There have been many studies done for building connectors. A classic one is the North Station to South Station connector. My understanding is that some kind of tunneling was done and probably stations provisioned but addnl. tunneling is needed. The plan was abandoned when the Big Dig costs escalated. Every now and then we hear Dukakis and Weld support the connectors. With the current finance state of MBTA I really doubt if we are going to see anything come to light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North%E2% ... _Rail_Link

As an example, Green line extension is finally coming to action. The 4.7 miles extension to Somerville will be costing at-least $2.3B. Based on MBTA history, it is fairly certain there will be cost overruns.

Terminal B last night was a complete disaster both for taxi and Uber rides. The challenge is the space is so less and cars have exponentially grown thanks to Uber/Lyft - but there is very less alternative. If I would take a public transportation at 10:00 pm from Logan to Watertown, it would take me at-least 1.5 hrs. from Silver line to South Station to Harvard and then take 71 to Watertown. It is just not conducive for me either on early Monday am or Thu pm when I am traveling every week.

VS4ever

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:06 pm

airbazar wrote:
I'm no longer bullish on B6 starting TATL service. It's starting to look more and more like they completely missed the boat on that one.
At this point, short of something huge happening like DY going out of business, I don't see B6 starting TATL from BOS which is a big change of opinion for me. Until about a month ago I thought that was a matter of when, not if.

I would love at this point to say I completely disagree with you, but I don't think that's a rational response anymore, B6 keep putting up on all their literature that they want to go right out of BOS and across the water, but actions speak louder than words, now of course setting up TATL operations when you have none is not quick, but others seem to be able to do it just fine, I have a feeling Wall Street is getting involved at this point and telling them to get their house in order first. But that's just me thinking that I bet.
Look you guys know me, I am a huge B6 fan, I would love nothing more than to see those blue tails sitting at European airports, but honestly they telegraphed the strategy so blatantly that no wonder DL are doing what they are doing. Even in their regulatory filings, saying that they could convert some 321's to the LR, but couldn't do that until after 2019, is such a wierd way to do things.

So reluctantly I agree, I feel they have missed the boat on the experiment for sure, which is a shame, my only wonder is... IF DI/DY do go South, whether B6 could somehow pick up some of the pieces of that and make it a low cost entry into the market. I doubt it, it's just musing for a Friday morning.

That said, kudos to DL on starting BOS-EDI, they are starting to show that along with their partners, they are the strongest set up for International Ops in BOS. If you think about it, I already know a couple of people who have to go through LHR currently that will be delighted for a shot at EDI, one has family there, the other is from Aberdeen, and would be much closer than having to schlep all the way down from there.

on their own metal:

BOS-AMS
BOS-CDG
BOS-DUB
BOS-EDI
BOS-LHR
BOS-LIS

with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

Then through Skyteam you have
BOS-FCO - AZ (although I think we all believe if AZ go under, that might be a DL possibility)

Fun times, can't wait to see the timings on this one, haven't seen those yet.

tphuang

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:14 pm

VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I would love at this point to say I completely disagree with you, but I don't think that's a rational response anymore, B6 keep putting up on all their literature that they want to go right out of BOS and across the water, but actions speak louder than words, now of course setting up TATL operations when you have none is not quick, but others seem to be able to do it just fine, I have a feeling Wall Street is getting involved at this point and telling them to get their house in order first. But that's just me thinking that I bet.
Look you guys know me, I am a huge B6 fan, I would love nothing more than to see those blue tails sitting at European airports, but honestly they telegraphed the strategy so blatantly that no wonder DL are doing what they are doing. Even in their regulatory filings, saying that they could convert some 321's to the LR, but couldn't do that until after 2019, is such a wierd way to do things.

So reluctantly I agree, I feel they have missed the boat on the experiment for sure, which is a shame, my only wonder is... IF DI/DY do go South, whether B6 could somehow pick up some of the pieces of that and make it a low cost entry into the market. I doubt it, it's just musing for a Friday morning.

That said, kudos to DL on starting BOS-EDI, they are starting to show that along with their partners, they are the strongest set up for International Ops in BOS. If you think about it, I already know a couple of people who have to go through LHR currently that will be delighted for a shot at EDI, one has family there, the other is from Aberdeen, and would be much closer than having to schlep all the way down from there.

on their own metal:

BOS-AMS
BOS-CDG
BOS-DUB
BOS-EDI
BOS-LHR
BOS-LIS

with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

BOS-FCO - AZ (although I think we all believe if AZ go under, that might be a DL possibility)

They have said all along that they want to enter London, because that's what the corporate customers are asking for. And after that DUB. They have repeated that they want to cut premium cabin pricing on JFK/BOS-LON at every chance they get.

Not these secondary markets. I have never thought the secondary markets are on their radar until much further down the road. They are not DY. They are not going to try competing in the low cost with DY. That model has already proven to be completely unprofitable.

hibtastic

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm

DL122 departs BOS at 22:15, arrives EDI at 09:25 (next day)
DL123 departs EDI at 10:55, arrives BOS at 13:02

VS4ever

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 pm

tphuang wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:

on their own metal:

BOS-AMS
BOS-CDG
BOS-DUB
BOS-EDI
BOS-LHR
BOS-LIS

with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

They have said all along that they want to enter London, because that's what the corporate customers are asking for. And after that DUB. They have repeated that they want to cut premium cabin pricing on JFK/BOS-LON at every chance they get.

Not these secondary markets. I have never thought the secondary markets are on their radar until much further down the road. They are not DY. They are not going to try competing in the low cost with DY. That model has already proven to be completely unprofitable.

Oh I am not suggesting for one minute for them to a) compete on low cost or b) play dartboard. I agree they want to enter those markets LON/DUB and those bigger places. just thought if DY goes South they could cherry pick some options from DY, like LGW for example, gets them into the LON market a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to get slots at LHR.

Either way, I still feel like airbazar that they are missing the boat rapidly. the theory is sound and I support it (would love to even try it), but the longer they delay on the practice, the more entrenched DL and their partners along with BA will become.

LIPZ

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:31 pm

VS4ever wrote:
with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

For the time being there is no difference between BOS-FCO by AZ or BOS-AMS by KL, BOS-CDG by AF.
They are all part of the same Atlantic JV.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:37 pm

hibtastic wrote:

Terminal E between 12pm-2pm is going to have LHR, AMS, CDG, DUB, LIS and now EDI on gate at the same time. Like a mini T4 @ JFK.

*I find it interesting that EDI gets a D1 configured 757, while larger market LIS gets a domestic F 757. Is there some strong business connection between EDI & BOS?
Last edited by clrd4t8koff on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VS4ever

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:39 pm

LIPZ wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

For the time being there is no difference between BOS-FCO by AZ or BOS-AMS by KL, BOS-CDG by AF.
They are all part of the same Atlantic JV.

Two things:
1) you are right on the differences, I was simply separating by who flies with their metal, I do understand that with the JV they essentially one and the same, but the way those flights are handled by BOS is slightly different, with DL coming from A and the rest from E.

2) As you potentially allude to, the new Atlantic JV is being negotiated without AZ, so that will change soon.

iyerhari

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:40 pm

VS4ever wrote:

My understanding is LHR is a slot controlled airport and even if they get the slots somehow, they are extremely pricey. How are they going to get those slots. I do not know how LGW works but my understanding is it is a leisure kind of destination. As DL starts poaching into secondary UK markets including JVs - MAN, EDI - there are few destinations left for B6 to expand. Hopefully B6 is able to find a niche in the UK markets.

B757rocket

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:43 pm

News Release from Delta, also DUB is upgauging to a B767-300ER. Good use of gate space at that hour DUB, LIS, and now EDI:

https://news.delta.com/delta-continues- ... s-scotland

tphuang

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:00 pm

VS4ever wrote:
tphuang wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

on their own metal:

BOS-AMS
BOS-CDG
BOS-DUB
BOS-EDI
BOS-LHR
BOS-LIS

with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

Oh I am not suggesting for one minute for them to a) compete on low cost or b) play dartboard. I agree they want to enter those markets LON/DUB and those bigger places. just thought if DY goes South they could cherry pick some options from DY, like LGW for example, gets them into the LON market a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to get slots at LHR.

Either way, I still feel like airbazar that they are missing the boat rapidly. the theory is sound and I support it (would love to even try it), but the longer they delay on the practice, the more entrenched DL and their partners along with BA will become.

I see what you are saying and I'm personally frustrated they haven't done anything yet, because I like to see low J fare to Europe. It feels like they are missing the boat because they are not doing anything. but in terms of competition in the premium sector, nothing has really changed. And DL/VS themselves are a secondary player to IAG at both LHR and DUB.

I agree that LHR won't happen. It will most likely be A321LR to LGW or if possible all-J A220 to LCY. The latter would probably tank the J fares to London.

markboston

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I was at a Boston hotel last night (Thursday, October 18th) at about 8:15 pm as a flight crew was arriving. The women were wearing dark red boucle uniforms (men were in dark blue suits) and I could not tell which airline it was. It was definitely not Qatar or Virgin. Any ideas?

pitbosflyer

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:15 pm

B757rocket wrote:
News Release from Delta, also DUB is upgauging to a B767-300ER. Good use of gate space at that hour DUB, LIS, and now EDI:

Oh snap DUB also getting upgauged. Glad they are seeing strong demand. Although it's also likely more just because they need to free up a 757 for the EDI route.

NickolayAv

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 pm

B757rocket wrote:

Delta is trying to be a bit pushy in the BOS market. I love it.

RobertS975

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:24 pm

VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:

on their own metal:

BOS-AMS
BOS-CDG
BOS-DUB
BOS-EDI
BOS-LHR
BOS-LIS

with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

And there's the seasonal UX flight to MAD, another Skyteam member. I do not think that DL ever even codeshared on that flight though.

VS4ever

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:53 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:

on their own metal:

BOS-AMS
BOS-CDG
BOS-DUB
BOS-EDI
BOS-LHR
BOS-LIS

with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

And there's the seasonal UX flight to MAD, another Skyteam member. I do not think that DL ever even codeshared on that flight though.

Alas UX only lasted the 2017 season, might they return? who knows.. but it's not a live one right now.

Abeam79

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:28 pm

VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:

on their own metal:

BOS-AMS
BOS-CDG
BOS-DUB
BOS-EDI
BOS-LHR
BOS-LIS

with their JV's:

BOS-LHR - VS
BOS-MAN - VS
BOS-AMS - KL
BOS-CDG - AF
BOS-ICN - KE

I don't get all this "miss the boat" talk. Does it really matter? They have to make some announcements with their intent so corporate clients don't get left in the dark and know whats in store for the future. If they started before Delta, which wasn't ever going to be feasible from the get go since B6 said for years it will take a couple years to ramp it up after any announcement for the aircraft to come online, Delta would've went in anyhow and there still would be competition on those routes regardless between the 2. I just think they are just getting a start advantage knowing they rather cash in on revenue premiums before they go south when B6 enters, which would started below whatever delta is offering anyhow. This is how the market works. In some ways its good that Delta starts because its stimulates some traffic and when B6 enters with a broader network by far than delta out of BOS will then give B6 the advantage. They will also have the advantage of dozens of new NEO's coming in on order for more EU expansion, how many long haul narrow bodies does Delta have on order? Not much, all of them are for domestic for the most part. I just think its simply that Delta wants to cash in a lil ahead before they can when B6 enters. Look at Transcon, plenty of abundant service, with meager premium service at astronomically high prices, was there a lot of competition? Yes, Could B6 have decided the market was well served already and stayed out and risk not generating premium yields? Yes What happened? They went in and are a huge success and those routes have generated double digit revenue increases since before mint was introduced and have tripled the mint routes. Sound Familiar with whats going on with TATL? The NEO's will have the new Airspace cabin and a revamped mint, so they are about prime to have a int redux TATL style.

airbazar

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:33 pm

tphuang wrote:

The problem is B6 is never going to go TATL for just a single route. They will either have a TATL network, or they won't. As these other markets get picked off, the probability that B6 will invest in TATL service gets worse, IMO. And by the way, London is getting exhausted too: DL, VS, BA, DY. WOW and FI have adjusted their schedules so they can better serve this market. Don't believe me? Just look at DL's LF. Primera may have failed but I don't think that's the last airline we've seen try BOS-LON.

tysmith95

Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:03 pm

I honestly don't think WOW will last long, now that we're getting the a321LR that can cross the Atlantic without a stop. I'm not sure the east coast to Iceland market is large enough for 2 carriers.

Norwegian has a better business model imo.

gatibosgru

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:45 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
hibtastic wrote:

Terminal E between 12pm-2pm is going to have LHR, AMS, CDG, DUB, LIS and now EDI on gate at the same time. Like a mini T4 @ JFK.

*I find it interesting that EDI gets a D1 configured 757, while larger market LIS gets a domestic F 757. Is there some strong business connection between EDI & BOS?

Was actually wondering the same myself.

styles9002

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:07 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
hibtastic wrote:

Again, Delta's DUB flight does not arrive at Terminal E since is it pre-cleared by the US CBP facility in DUB. Delta's DUB flight arrives into Terminal A as a domestic arrival.

ramzi

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:40 am

markboston wrote:
I was at a Boston hotel last night (Thursday, October 18th) at about 8:15 pm as a flight crew was arriving. The women were wearing dark red boucle uniforms (men were in dark blue suits) and I could not tell which airline it was. It was definitely not Qatar or Virgin. Any ideas?

That would be the new TK uniforms. They actually look pretty good I would say.

adamh8297

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Does DL still have an interline agreement with BE (Flybe) and do they have one with LM Logan Air (LM). If so there is some feed potential on the EDI side
as well.

ramzi wrote:
markboston wrote:

That would be the new TK uniforms. They actually look pretty good I would say.

Did the TK uniforms used to be teal? I swore that's what I saw them wearing in 2016.

jsteeves3

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:06 pm

Anyone know of the best place to watch planes on logan ground?. Sent in a request for a photo permit this morning to watch from the central parking garage, still plan on doing so with or without one. However, if I get kicked out where is the next best place?

clrd4t8koff

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:55 pm

jsteeves3 wrote:
Anyone know of the best place to watch planes on logan ground?. Sent in a request for a photo permit this morning to watch from the central parking garage, still plan on doing so with or without one. However, if I get kicked out where is the next best place?

Constitution Beach in East Boston or Castle Island in South Boston is awesome if they're landing on 4L & 4R!

jsteeves3

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:09 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
jsteeves3 wrote:

Constitution Beach in East Boston or Castle Island in South Boston is awesome if they're landing on 4L & 4R!

Anywhere on airport property that is permitted?

jworks158

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:11 pm

jsteeves3 wrote:

I didn't know you could get a photo permit... How do you get one/what are the rules around them?

FGITD

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:43 pm

jworks158 wrote:
jsteeves3 wrote:

I didn't know you could get a photo permit... How do you get one/what are the rules around them?

From what I gather, you can email massport, and the "permit" is really more of an email from them saying that it's ok.

Or you apply for the other type of permit, but that one requires you also load the planes, check in the passengers etc!

iyerhari

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:14 pm

BOS Sep-2018 numbers are out.

Sep-2018 total pax: 3,393,644 international pax: 697,082
YTD total pax: 30,873,364 YTD international pax: 5,814,440 international pax as a % of total pax: 18.83%
AAGR YTD 2018 vs. 2017: 6.6%

Detailed breakdown:

Sep-18 Sep-17 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 954 1589 -39.96%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 189,288 181,186 4.47%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,496,114 2,344,059 6.49%
Total Domestic Passengers 2,686,356 2,526,834 6.31%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 67,119 55,019 21.99%
Canada 95,619 88,668 7.84%
Central America 19,548 13,754 42.13%
Europe 409,646 392,017 4.50%
Middle East 49,747 45,519 9.29%
South America 11,582 3,487 232.15%
Trans-Pacific 43,821 42,075 4.15%
Total International passengers 697,082 640,539 8.83%

General Aviation 10,206 10,638 -4.06%
Total Airport pax 3,393,644 3,178,011 6.79%

VS4ever

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:35 pm

iyerhari wrote:
BOS Sep-2018 numbers are out.

Sep-2018 total pax: 3,393,644 international pax: 697,082
YTD total pax: 30,873,364 YTD international pax: 5,814,440 international pax as a % of total pax: 18.83%
AAGR YTD 2018 vs. 2017: 6.6%

Detailed breakdown:

Sep-18 Sep-17 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 954 1589 -39.96%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 189,288 181,186 4.47%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,496,114 2,344,059 6.49%
Total Domestic Passengers 2,686,356 2,526,834 6.31%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 67,119 55,019 21.99%
Canada 95,619 88,668 7.84%
Central America 19,548 13,754 42.13%
Europe 409,646 392,017 4.50%
Middle East 49,747 45,519 9.29%
South America 11,582 3,487 232.15%
Trans-Pacific 43,821 42,075 4.15%
Total International passengers 697,082 640,539 8.83%

General Aviation 10,206 10,638 -4.06%
Total Airport pax 3,393,644 3,178,011 6.79%

Thanks iyerhari... quite a bit to unpack here.

1. Total YTD September of 30.8m is more than full year 2013 by 600k, with 3 months to go... let that sink in a bit!
2. September can sometimes be a soft month, but they have maintained the YTD increase overall at 6.6%, which is great
3. if they maintain the 6.6% YOY growth, we are looking at just shy of 41m through the door. based on the Dec 17 number of 38.4m
4. if there is no growth at all in Oct-Dec (highly unlikely) - we are looking at over 40m, so based on that, we kind of know where we think we will end up for 2018 (between 40.2 and 41m is my guess)
5. nice to see growth in all areas.
a) Caribbean 22% YOY growth is a big number, especially considering the region is really still recovering, but October will be the telling month because that's when the hurricane hit. So we should see another big increase there too.
b) Canada continues to go from strength to strength, without too much capacity growth, the bean counters at AC/WS and PD must be loving this.
c) Central America - again continues to power and will get another boost in November when the B6 daily MEX services comes on-line for a full month, although will drop back in 19 when AM leave the market.
d) Europe/ME and Transpac are all gaining traction, which on limited growth in capacity is boding well for them, sadly we don't have the airline breakdown, but ME and Transpac in particular will definitely show loads improvement as they are currently all built out from a frequency/ aircraft size standpoint.
e) South America is not really a fair comparison because of the new service, but based on that, we would have to assume winter numbers will be lower, so if we say 9k average per month, that's over 100k pax per year in that market from pretty much 0, 18 months ago.
f) Domestic - we all talk about capacity management but honestly 7% increase shows that airlines are increasing service and upgauging their aircraft too to make this work. On the commuter side of things, I will be curious to see how Silver and Boutique are doing on their new routes.

More to come when i pull this together with my general analysis, but i need my other computer to do that.

iyerhari

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:50 pm

VS4ever wrote:
1. Total YTD September of 30.8m is more than full year 2013 by 600k, with 3 months to go... let that sink in a bit!
3. if they maintain the 6.6% YOY growth, we are looking at just shy of 41m through the door. based on the Dec 17 number of 38.4m
4. if there is no growth at all in Oct-Dec (highly unlikely) - we are looking at over 40m, so based on that, we kind of know where we think we will end up for 2018 (between 40.2 and 41m is my guess)

If we use the 2017 Oct-Dec pax nos. which comes to: 9,131,990 - the total pax for 2018: 40,005,354. We all know that does not make any sense - if we apply a 4-5% AAGR we are looking anywhere from 41.5 to 42M pax. October is also a pretty decent month and we have an addnl. month in Nov so growth is certainly to be there.

jworks158

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:48 am

So it looks like Lufthansa's gate will see it's first A380 today! LH 401 from JFK-FRA diverting now due to mechanical, and flight attendant medical. Currently at 10,000 feet. Aircraft is D-AIMJ https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/status/1 ... 3023152128

jworks158

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:01 am

jworks158 wrote:
So it looks like Lufthansa's gate will see it's first A380 today! LH 401 from JFK-FRA diverting now due to mechanical, and flight attendant medical. Currently at 10,000 feet. Aircraft is D-AIMJ https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/status/1 ... 3023152128

Landing RWY 15R with Pilot reporting to ATC Engine #2 is leaking oil. Maybe it will be on the ground for a bit depending on the issue.

jworks158

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:13 am

jworks158 wrote:
jworks158 wrote:

Landing RWY 15R with Pilot reporting to ATC Engine #2 is leaking oil. Maybe it will be on the ground for a bit depending on the issue.

According to Tom Podolec it is going to Gate 11 https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/status/1 ... 4229325825

clrd4t8koff

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:33 pm

What’s been causing AF to cancel their BOS-CDG flights so much recently? AF 333 cancelled Saturday, Sunday and again last night (Friday). Are their strikes going on?

FGITD

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:00 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
What’s been causing AF to cancel their BOS-CDG flights so much recently? AF 333 cancelled Saturday, Sunday and again last night (Friday). Are their strikes going on?

I believe it was technical issue last Saturday and yesterday. No AF flights arrived those days.

Sunday however there was definitely a flight. Saw the plane myself, though it was much later than usual. If I remember right, long delayed AF flights usually get renunbered to AF408x or something like that.

And for anyone interested in going out in this weather, the LH 380 is parked in North cargo today

nine4nine

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Anyone know how the loads are looking on the new B6 BOS-BUR flights?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos