Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

runway23

Re: Swiss aviation thread - 2018

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:31 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
I can't help thinking that the decision in favour of Eurowing has already been made. There was no real reason to raise the subject of Eurowings again, so it seems to me that after a long silence, this new interview is simply meant to gradually prepare the public opinion and their staff of a coming change. And, as Xorrygva wrote, I'm convinced that the Eurowings strategy would totally fail at GVA and leave the door wide open for Easyjet.

It could very well just be pressure being put onto the GVA management and team to obtain better results. At one point LX has to decide what they want - there is still no pilot base in GVA for a fleet of 7 aircraft (hotels must love the business), does LH feel crew costs can be cut further, unit costs also ? It seems to me Kluhr's message seems to be more of a bargaining tool than openly saying Eurowings will be in and Swiss out before you know it.

MoonC wrote:
This should put a rest to the idea some have/had that LX would start longhauls from GVA.

And yet ironically longhaul is what keeps the GVA boat afloat right now, GVA-JFK is profitable as are joint venture flights to YUL, IAD and EWR. Opportunities still exist and existed (for example GVA-MRU that turned out successful for MK and could have been for WK).

ME720 wrote:
Dropping the tiny sandwich will not saveLX operations at GVA, they can not compete with Easyjet. They must concentrate on high yield and niche markets (Moscow, TLV, maybe BEY and other destinations) complementing their ZRH hub. Feeding into and from their code shared flights with the likes of SN and other star alliance partners operating into GVA.

Most routes don't even offer a sandwich. Take GVA-NCE it's drinks and chocolate, GVA-BCN/PMI is a pretzel bun. Handing out sandwiches doesn't cost much, alcohol does. LCCs, BA/IB/SK have all shown that the majority of pax don't care about meals but care about price and schedule.

Blerg wrote:
I wonder if they are losing less money because of improved sales or because they cut most of the heavily loss-making routes.

They are losing less money because of the CSeries. It's very simple before they used to have to fill up 180 seats of an A320, they are down to 145 on the CS300 with 20% lower operating costs, less crew (3 vs 4, except DME which is crewed with 4). They are no longer chasing more pax at a lower yield. That said, you need to fly your planes to the right places and the right times, which hasn't been something LX has been very good at all the time...

Another noted change is that LX's winter schedule is pretty much non existant on Tuesdays and Wednesdays which must have cut losses too.

More loss making routes are being rightsized frequency wise, for example this past winter LX flew GVA-LGW 4x per week (3x Saturday and 1x Sunday) with a night stop in LGW the Saturday evening (why nobody knows). This involved deheading 2 crews just for that night stop which left LGW at 6AM Sunday morning and very often only with a handful of pax. The result is that LGW-GVA has become significantly loss making too and is programmed as a single weekly flight next winter, except for peak holiday periods.

MoonC

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:00 pm

runway23 wrote:
MoonC wrote:
This should put a rest to the idea some have/had that LX would start longhauls from GVA.

And yet ironically longhaul is what keeps the GVA boat afloat right now, GVA-JFK is profitable as are joint venture flights to YUL, IAD and EWR. Opportunities still exist and existed (for example GVA-MRU that turned out successful for MK and could have been for WK).

MK had ended their flights around September 2012. They had ample opportunity to start it themselves since then. They preferred ZRH. They could have tried ZRH - GVA - MRU the way MK was doing years ago and then separated them, but no.

hynithuchi

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm

I think we had this sterile discussion about GVA longhaul flights before. No Swiss carrier will operate longhaul flights again from/through GVA, unless ZRH airport burns down..and even then, they would rather operate from FRA/MUC/VIE or BRU , period. No real need to discuss this any further. The real issue at this stage is if we will still have a Swiss carrier ( if we can call LX a Swiss carrier ) at GVA in 18 months time and I think that odds are pretty much against it. Whether we like or not, GVA is small fry when it comes to the LH group global strategy and we will always be a small outstation, whether served by LX or EW. The question is simply if GVA will lose even more of its already minor significance. A station that loses money year after year is no loss to an airline when closed down, however an airline with the size of the current LX ops is a serious loss for the airport, financially and significance wise. Back to 1996 again..

runway23

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:43 pm

One has to be very careful with what the media has quoted based on the interview Kluhr gave to Agefi, the story is a lot different to what was posted above (the article is very long in French, here are the main ideas):

"At Geneva if we were to fail in our objective to be profitable again, the LH Group could once again reconsider the Eurowings option. (...) It is perfectly understandable that a large group like ours keeps all options open, I'm nonetheless confident that the Eurowings option won't happen."

"We are very satisfied with the progress we've made, we're consolidating destinations. We went from 13 to 42 destinations now we're at about 30. Our objective is to increase load factors and frequencies on the remaining flights. Regarding long haul flights we serve only New York right now and considering the size of the Geneva market have no plans to launch any further long haul flights."

When asked about how the base has done recently he says he's convinced Geneva is a key city for Swiss and that their goal is to keep their presence in Geneva and that he is sure they will be profitable and well positioned to be a solid number two in GVA.

stylo777

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Well, I'm always sceptical about any statements like LX is Switzerland, French speaking crews, etc. etc.
Quite honesty, the success of U2 in GVA just shows how un-important those kind of things nowadays became. At the end of the day, majority of customers look for price, schedule and than all the other things. Times are changing and so does the aviation industry. Only the ones able to adapt to the new environment are capable for future survival / success.

hynithuchi

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Well, I'm always sceptical about any statements like LX is Switzerland, French speaking crews, etc. etc.
Quite honesty, the success of EZS in GVA just shows how un-important those kind of things nowadays became. At the end of the day, majority of customers look for price, schedule and than all the other things. Times are changing and so does the aviation industry. Only the ones able to adapt to the new environment are capable for future survival / success.

I don't know where you live, but the slogan " thr cheaper, the better " has not quite conquered Switzerland yet. Proof is that U2 is making money with fares which can often be higher than Swiss, and yet, Swiss has failed so far to compete successfully with them. Most people consider EZS as a Swiss company, considering the number of aircraft based at BSL and GVA and the local staff employed by them. And yes, cultural differences matter to a lot of people here, and frankly, when I get on board a Swiss aircraft at GVA, I want to be able to speak French and not German or English. In case of a transfer to EW, I don't think it would make much of a difference to foreign, inbound passengers but it certainly would have a very strong, negative impact on the local outbound market.

sergegva

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
The real issue at this stage is if we will still have a Swiss carrier ( if we can call LX a Swiss carrier ) at GVA in 18 months time and I think that odds are pretty much against it. Whether we like or not, GVA is small fry when it comes to the LH group global strategy and we will always be a small outstation, whether served by LX or EW. The question is simply if GVA will lose even more of its already minor significance. A station that loses money year after year is no loss to an airline when closed down, however an airline with the size of the current LX ops is a serious loss for the airport, financially and significance wise. Back to 1996 again..

Back to 1996, who suffered a loss? GVA or SR? Just look at their respective situation 5 years after 1996 !
Back to 1990, with GVA as a semi-hub for SR, the airport was half the size of ZRH (6 mio pax versus 12 mio). In 2017, GVA is two third of ZRH (17.4 vs 29.3 mio). LX's pax represent 12% of the airport's trafic.

The departure of the Swiss-German national airline and its replacement by Eurowings will not be a serious loss. LX popularity rating in Romandy is close to zero, at least in the younger generation. It think it's more a serious loss for LX itself. If they leave Geneva, after Basel, I give them 5 years before LH throw the whole brand in garbage.

hynithuchi

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Of course, GVA has had significant growth since 1996, but that was also due to the LCC carriers which had not existed for very long. If I'm not mistaken, in 1996 GVA passenger numbers decreased and started going up again with the Easyjet deployment, With SR gone and had there been no Easyjet, it would have been an uphill struggle for years. As for LX rating in Romandie I agree it's very low, but honestly, if you organised an opinion poll, EW would definitely be zero ! EW flights between Switzerland and Germany or Austria, why not, but GVA to NCE, BCN or DUB ? No, I can't see that working at all.

sergegva

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:41 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
Of course, GVA has had significant growth since 1996, but that was also due to the LCC carriers which had not existed for very long. If I'm not mistaken, in 1996 GVA passenger numbers decreased and started going up again with the Easyjet deployment, With SR gone and had there been no Easyjet, it would have been an uphill struggle for years. As for LX rating in Romandie I agree it's very low, but honestly, if you organised an opinion poll, EW would definitely be zero ! EW flights between Switzerland and Germany or Austria, why not, but GVA to NCE, BCN or DUB ? No, I can't see that working at all.

Right, but I don't think GVA's growth after SR departure was only a colateral effect of LCC's birth in Europa. It reflects the attractiveness of the area. Growth in terms of population and businesses in the Lemanic region was large enough to justify a major airport, not to mention international organizations and their high yields.

EasyJet didn't land in GVA by chance. It became easyJet's second biggest hub (and still is, IIRC) precisely because SR left and there was a market to take (and also because the airport and the political world in Romandy actively sought a replacement for Swissair).

Let's not forget that Geneva airport's trafic is almost 100% O&D. This is why it has little to fear from LX departure. Other airlines will cover the (small) gap.

Blerg

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 pm

How many aircraft does easyJet have in Basel and Geneva? What about Swiss in GVA?

runway23

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Blerg wrote:
How many aircraft does easyJet have in Basel and Geneva? What about Swiss in GVA?

Swiss has 7 based in Geneva + 2 ZRH night stops + 1 A330 to JFK.

easyjet in GVA has 14 aircraft based + equivalent of 11-12 touching aircraft.

Blerg

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:00 am

runway23 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Swiss has 7 based in Geneva + 2 ZRH night stops + 1 A330 to JFK.

easyjet in GVA has 14 aircraft based + equivalent of 11-12 touching aircraft.

Thank you, didn't know LX had that many there..

DALCE

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am

The 10th 77W, HB-JNJ has been delivered and has arrived in ZRH. Frame will commence commercial ops on 15MAR with a ZRH-HAJ-ZRH rotation.

DALCE

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Edelweiss' latest adition to the fleet is Airbus 320 / HB-JJM, ex Air Berlin D-ABNW (msn2627),and will arrive back in ZRH tonight after painting in NWI.
The frame will start commercial ops on Wednesdaymorning.

DUSZRH

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:50 pm

WK got 2 ex-AB frames for expanding/replacing former 4T capacity.

DALCE

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 pm

that's correct. They live with WK on by the names of HB-JJL & HB-JJM.
Also ex LX A340-300 HB-JME is currently undergoing transition to WK cabins & livery. She will shortly joining the active WK-fleet.

DALCE

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:18 pm

And the next CS-300 has been delivered, HB-JCJ is currently en route from YMX to ZRH.

CarbonFibre

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:46 pm

How many A340s will be allocated to the ZRH-CDG route?

DALCE

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:03 am

none specific, these will just rotate through. For APR I see : -JMB , -JMC, - JMD & -JMH as well as A330 -JHN scheduled to operate a ZRH-CDG-ZRH leg.

hynithuchi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:32 am

Does anybody know what's happening to the planned GVA-LUG resumption by Skywork ? According to the GVA Spotters site, it has been postponed month after month ( 2 daily flights ) and is currently listed as starting on 30APR18. On the Skywork website however there is no mention of such a service.

flightmania

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:00 am

I see that SWISS deploys its A343s on ZRH-VIE LX1574 in April. How likely it is for the flight to be subbed by other aircraft types. Since 25 March, the flight has been operated by a variety of A320/321s, and only today it is done by JMB. I'm flying on this flight on April 4, so I hope that an A343 will operate the flight (fingers crossed!)

:D

SR380

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am

hynithuchi wrote:
Does anybody know what's happening to the planned GVA-LUG resumption by Skywork ? According to the GVA Spotters site, it has been postponed month after month ( 2 daily flights ) and is currently listed as starting on 30APR18. On the Skywork website however there is no mention of such a service.

I don’t know much but they even delayed their embrace delivery. Maybe they are waiting for the SAAB to be available.

DALCE

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:48 pm

flightmania wrote:
I see that SWISS deploys its A343s on ZRH-VIE LX1574 in April. How likely it is for the flight to be subbed by other aircraft types. Since 25 March, the flight has been operated by a variety of A320/321s, and only today it is done by JMB. I'm flying on this flight on April 4, so I hope that an A343 will operate the flight (fingers crossed!)

Your flight is currently planned with a A340, HB-JMD.

flightmania

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:32 pm

DALCE wrote:
flightmania wrote:

Your flight is currently planned with a A340, HB-JMD.

Thank you very much for the info. I hope it stays this way. I'm really looking forward to flying the A343.

Have a great afternoon! :)

THY748i

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Anyone knows what's going on with LX18 ZRH-EWR? Heard it circling over my friend's house a little earlier and was checking Flightradar to check what aircraft was still taking off since it's rather late. It's been circling for over 3 hours now. Possibly a medical emergency, I guess?

LXA340

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:07 pm

The plane had some trouble with the left engine after take off and for safety reasons the captain decided to abort the flight and not risk the Atlantic crossing. Since the A330 can’t dump fuel they had to burn it and that’s why they were circling for around 5 hours.

Strange that the A330 can’t dump fuel since the A340 can?

SpaceshipDC10

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:19 pm

LXA340 wrote:

Can it be related to the fact the A330 was originally designed as a regional aircraft, thus not carrying that much fuel, compared to how it is operated now?

SpaceshipDC10

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:23 pm

I've noticed on flightradar that CA has changed the schedule of its PEK-GVA-PEK flights to an early morning arrival and mid-day departure. Any specific reason for that?

stylo777

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:30 pm

I wouldnt bet on the WB aircraft deployment on intra-EU flights; they get swapped on short notice quite regularly. VIE, CDG and HAJ are the destinations I know.

YangFeng

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:46 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
I've noticed on flightradar that CA has changed the schedule of its PEK-GVA-PEK flights to an early morning arrival and mid-day departure. Any specific reason for that?

Yes, they swapped slots with ZRH as they don't want to be departing to PEK around the same time as their JV partner LX.

glen

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:20 am

THY748i wrote:
Possibly a medical emergency, I guess?

In case of a medical emergency, time is a crucial factor and thus one would usually perform an overweight landing instead of burning fuel for hours.

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
LXA340 wrote:

Can it be related to the fact the A330 was originally designed as a regional aircraft, thus not carrying that much fuel, compared to how it is operated now?

Certification of an aircraft requires - amongst other - a minimum climb gradient of 3.2% in landing configuration at MTOW minus the weight of 15 minutes fuel burn. If an aircraft can satisfy this requirement no fuel jettison capability is required - if not, than a jettison system is required, which brings the aircraft weight down to a weight where this is possible within 15 minutes.
Therefore usually three- and four-engined aircraft need a dump system whereas most twin-engined aircraft don't.

Loran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Noticed today that Genevas long-term resident L-1329 Jetstar-2 HB-JGK was moved to the other side of the airport.
Does anyone know what the reason was and plans exist to do with it in the future?

Thanks,
Loran

phofmannsair

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi Loran,

The P48 parking will be completely redone and closed for about a year after Ebace.

Regards, Patrick.

SR380

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 pm

phofmannsair wrote:
Hi Loran,

The P48 parking will be completely redone and closed for about a year after Ebace.

Regards, Patrick.

Will it be used for VIP aircarft parking then or something else?

Loran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:45 am

phofmannsair wrote:
Hi Loran,

Regards, Patrick.

Thanks Patrick. So I shouldn't have had any hopes that it'll get back into airworthy condition :indifferent:

Cheers,
Loran

phofmannsair

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:40 am

Hi!

SR380: no, it will still be used the same way as it used to be. That means any private jet staying more than 2 days without planned maintenance. The entry of the parking will be enlarged in order to let BBJ/E190 and larger a/c to enter without beeing towed in/out.

Loran: Yes, sorry. I'm mad too...such a wonderful a/c. There were more information about HB-JGK in La Tribune de Genève ( https://www.tdg.ch/geneve/Les-trois-vies-de-l-avion-de-Yasser-Arafat/story/18892769 ) but it's behind a firewall...don't know if you can have access.

Patrick.

CarbonFibre

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:24 am

What's the reg for LX638 tomorrow? Nothing on ZRH site yet.

phofmannsair

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:14 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
What's the reg for LX638 tomorrow? Nothing on ZRH site yet.

You'll get it on Zrh website at 7pm tonight.

CarbonFibre

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:29 pm

It's on there now. Changed from an A340 to an A321.

LXA340

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Isn't the reason for the extensive use of the A330/340's on various european routes currently due to issues LX is experiencing with the refited galleys at the back of the cabins of the A32S fleet, water leaks etc?

paningfog

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Anybody else been to the newly renovated Aspire lounge in the E gates of ZRH??? I got in with Priority Pass and found it pretty nice, but all the other reviews say it sucks...

DALCE

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 am

FR will soon base 1 or 2 frames in ZRH to start new routes to OLB,SUF,PMI,ACE,IBZ & FUE on behalf of LaudaMotion. This will certainly shake up things in ZRH after the demise of Air Berlin.

LTenEleven

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 am

It will be 2 Ryanair aircraft, also fully bookable on the airline’s website.

SA744

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:57 am

When do LX start flying 777 to JNB?

DUSZRH

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:58 pm

DALCE wrote:
FR will soon base 1 or 2 frames in ZRH to start new routes to OLB,SUF,PMI,ACE,IBZ & FUE on behalf of LaudaMotion. This will certainly shake up things in ZRH after the demise of Air Berlin.

AB had 4 frames at ZRH. Basically 2 went to WK and 2 went to OE/FR.

Blerg

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Will Ryanair operate flights out of Zurich only during summer months or also in winter time? This is definitely an interesting development.

hynithuchi

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Blerg wrote:
Will Ryanair operate flights out of Zurich only during summer months or also in winter time? This is definitely an interesting development.

FR operating really on behalf of Laudamotion and on routes which were previously flown by AB, would they be entitled to financial incentives by ZRH airport as it is practised by most airports when a new airline starts operations ? Without such incentives, FR may find it difficult to make money out of ZRH with the rockbottom fares they usually offer.

LXA340

Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:43 pm

SA744 wrote:
When do LX start flying 777 to JNB?

It is currently not planned for the B77W to be used on the JNB route. LX began using the A333 on a more regular basis to JNB, at least once a week, for which only 7 F seats are sold as one of the seats needs to be used as pilot rest since this aircraft does not have any crew bunks

LXA340

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Quite a few incidents on the long haul fleet lately, the ones I can recall are the following:
1. On 30th of March LX 018 from ZRH to EWR operated by an A333 had to return back to ZRH and landed a few hours later after burning fuel over Switzerland and Germany (The A333's can't dump fuel)
2. Last saturday LX 289 from JNB to ZRH operated by an A343 had to return back to JNB and landed approx one hour after take off, following the dumping of fuel
3. Sunday after midnight local time LX 155 from BOM to ZRH operated by an A333 aborted it's take off shortly before reaching V1 following a engine failiure and having to utilize emergency breaking.
Coincidently a few weeks ago another incident in BOM also with an A333, where a Emergency raft was activated at the gate resulted that 40 passengers had to be removed from the flight as there were not enough evacuation devices left for all 236 passengers.

DALCE

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

HB-JCI, the next CS300 has been delivered and will start commercial ops today.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos