Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Midwestindy

Re: The rest of Ohio - 2018

Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 am

cvgComair wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
topguncnod wrote:

I’ve noticed that CVG-LAX is now operating on the 739 at least 1x per day.

To be fair, CVG-LAX is also going from 38 departures in Dec '17 (B738) to 31 departures in Dec '18 (B738).

I'm still seeing 38 departures for Dec '18.

Mostly it is upguages within aircraft the types: 738-->739, CRJ-->CR9, M88-->M90. A few routes are also keeping more frequency into the holiday season compared to last year (though, some like YYZ are down YOY). I'll have to do a seat comparison YOY sometime.

You are right, I guess my google flights hadn't loaded the Tuesday and Wednesday flights (or maybe they updated it today)

Anyway I was just curious

bigred10k

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 pm

CVG is one of the two "fastest declining" airports in the country. Its time for a change!

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/airlin ... in-us.html

cvgComair

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:23 pm

bigred10k wrote:
CVG is one of the two "fastest declining" airports in the country. Its time for a change!

A change in what? CVG was the fastest declining and most expensive in the country, now it is the fastest growing and one of the cheapest. Seems like things are working out pretty well...

DeltaRules

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Word in another thread is the range cap on DL's A220s was dropped. I'm wondering if that winds up being the weapon of choice for CMH-SLC whenever it restarts.

cvgComair wrote:
bigred10k wrote:

A change in what? CVG was the fastest declining and most expensive in the country, now it is the fastest growing and one of the cheapest. Seems like things are working out pretty well...

The logic seems a bit flawed in their article. CVG lost most of its DL route network, but it actually gained two focus cities while KEEPING what's left of the DL hub. Plus, fares went down. Meanwhile, UA pulling down CLE spurred NK, F9, and B6 to enter.

cvgComair

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Looks like CVG-MSP will get a daily 737-800 effective March 3, 2019. Pretty crazy how many 737s are going to be flying from CVG next year!

boscmh

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:29 pm

According to enilria's weekly OAG thread, UA has jumped onto CMH-SFO at 1x daily starting in June!!

A very smart move on their part, and not at all a bad trade IMO for losing the previously daily WN CMH-OAK. Very happy to see they moved so quickly into the market, and congrats to CRAA who I'm sure was lobbying for this as well

Edit - Searching on UA's site, the flight appears to start 6/7 with the following schedule

UA 1585, CMH-SFO
dep CMH, 705A
arr SFO, 905A

UA 1608, SFO-CMH
dep SFO, 1030p
arr CMH, 608a

cledaybuck

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 am

boscmh wrote:
According to enilria's weekly OAG thread, UA has jumped onto CMH-SFO at 1x daily starting in June!!

A very smart move on their part, and not at all a bad trade IMO for losing the previously daily WN CMH-OAK. Very happy to see they moved so quickly into the market, and congrats to CRAA who I'm sure was lobbying for this as well

Edit - Searching on UA's site, the flight appears to start 6/7 with the following schedule

UA 1585, CMH-SFO
dep CMH, 705A
arr SFO, 905A

UA 1608, SFO-CMH
dep SFO, 1030p
arr CMH, 608a

Good for CMH, but I am not a big fan of that schedule. Looks like utilization flying. Hope UA shows a commitment.

DeltaRules

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:54 am

boscmh wrote:

UA 1585, CMH-SFO
dep CMH, 705A
arr SFO, 905A

UA 1608, SFO-CMH
dep SFO, 1030p
arr CMH, 608a

My short response to this is "Thank f*ck."

My more detailed response is it took forever, but I'll take it (better late than never). I'm also beginning to wonder if this is PIT's "lose CDG to gain LHR" moment; WN may have seen the writing on the wall and got out of OAK with UA adding SFO.

DeltaRules

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 am

cledaybuck wrote:
boscmh wrote:

UA 1585, CMH-SFO
dep CMH, 705A
arr SFO, 905A

UA 1608, SFO-CMH
dep SFO, 1030p
arr CMH, 608a

Good for CMH, but I am not a big fan of that schedule. Looks like utilization flying. Hope UA shows a commitment.

I'm not a fan of redeyes either, but it's better than nothing. DL's LAX-CMH has been a redeye since it started (and I'm assuming AA's second will be as well) and it's lasted.

CMHMarc787

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:09 am

boscmh wrote:

UA 1585, CMH-SFO
dep CMH, 705A
arr SFO, 905A

UA 1608, SFO-CMH
dep SFO, 1030p
arr CMH, 608a

An announcement this big for CMH being relegated to a hush/hush blurb on an OAG thread? I would have figured CMH would have been trumpeting this one as loudly as the AS to SEA announcement in August. Oh well, at-least this the second major for CMH in the past two months.

So, after hearing from several different folks that TATL is not coming in the foreseeable future, what is next for CMH? Thoughts?

jplatts

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:22 am

CMHMarc787 wrote:
So, after hearing from several different folks that TATL is not coming in the foreseeable future, what is next for CMH? Thoughts?

WN could add CMH-SAN nonstop service. Connections to CMH from Hawaii through SAN might be possible if WN added morning departures to SAN from Hawaii and an evening departure from SAN to CMH, but an evening CMH-SAN departure that would allow for connections from Hawaii would likely arrive at CMH until after midnight Eastern time.

Unlike at SFO and LAX, none of the US3 carriers have hubs or focus cities at SAN, even though AS does have a focus city at SAN.

WN could also add CMH-LAX nonstop service on at least a seasonal basis, and CMH can likely support nonstop service to LAX on a LCC since IND, DTW, CVG, CLE, and PIT all already have nonstop service to LAX on a LCC on at least a seasonal basis.

ChasChandler

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:40 am

I flew many a red eye flight on America West back in the day from PHX and LAS.

DeltaRules

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 am

CMHMarc787 wrote:
boscmh wrote:

UA 1585, CMH-SFO
dep CMH, 705A
arr SFO, 905A

UA 1608, SFO-CMH
dep SFO, 1030p
arr CMH, 608a

An announcement this big for CMH being relegated to a hush/hush blurb on an OAG thread? I would have figured CMH would have been trumpeting this one as loudly as the AS to SEA announcement in August. Oh well, at-least this the second major for CMH in the past two months.

I think it's all based on where it's discovered and the timing. We picked up on F9's return in an OAG thread, with an announcement by the airport either later that day or sometime the next (can't remember which, I just remember I flew out that day and saw a banner after seeing the thread that morning). Keep in mind it's a Sunday night. They might still have something coming.

As for what's next, you can break it out by airline:
AA- All the dots are pretty well covered, though they're adding a second LAX next month. Upgauges?
AC- I don't see much here.
AS- Adding SEA. I think UA just threw the block on them opening SFO someday.
DL- Adding SLC, though I doubt we'll get SEA from them. And, as we've discussed plenty, AMS (which I've heard is still on DL's radar). Maybe some IND-style year-round P2P (MCO?)
F9- Adding PBI. They might have some surprises at some point. Who saw AUS coming? Or SAT? ...or PBI?
G4- I thought I saw they were dropping MSY and AUS, but they're putting up decent numbers. Maybe those come back or they add others once they build the fleet back up?
NK- They'd be who I'd look to for SAN. Beyond that, who knows? Trashing yields to hubs?
UA- SFO pretty well wraps it up for them, too. Again, bigger metal across the network?
WN- SAN could work here, too. They'd also be the most likely to try some of the more random-sounding dots like MCI and MKE.

B6 is the only domestic airline CMH is missing and I'm starting to doubt that's going to happen. Outside of a WW/FI/DY, I can't see any other notable entrants.

flyguy89

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 am

cvgComair wrote:
Looks like CVG-MSP will get a daily 737-800 effective March 3, 2019. Pretty crazy how many 737s are going to be flying from CVG next year!

As it should be one would think with their 737 pilot base here. It was always interesting to me how CVG seemed to wax and wane between heavy 737 vs. A320 flying since once would think the former would make the most sense.

I see WOW has also seemingly discontinued STL as well. I think it's safe to assume we won't see WOW back at CVG next year with their ongoing financial difficulties...so here's to hoping for FI or DE will swoop in and fill the void.

boscmh wrote:

Good for CMH! A much better add for the region than CMH-OAK.

NoTime

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Dispatch picked up on it -

Columbus will get a long-sought nonstop flight to San Francisco in June. United Airlines has put up tickets for sale on its website, with a roundtrip economy ticket from John Glenn Columbus International Airport to San Francisco International starting at about $400.

An airport spokeswoman said the airport would wait to issue a press release until after United’s announcement. She said the flight will qualify for the airport’s usual incentives for an unserved market. Alaska Airlines, for example, is receiving incentives valued at about $450,000 over two years for its Seattle flight.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20181015/ ... -francisco

Congrats, CMH.

flyCMH

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 pm

NoTime wrote:
Dispatch picked up on it -

Columbus will get a long-sought nonstop flight to San Francisco in June. United Airlines has put up tickets for sale on its website, with a roundtrip economy ticket from John Glenn Columbus International Airport to San Francisco International starting at about $400.

An airport spokeswoman said the airport would wait to issue a press release until after United’s announcement. She said the flight will qualify for the airport’s usual incentives for an unserved market. Alaska Airlines, for example, is receiving incentives valued at about $450,000 over two years for its Seattle flight.

Congrats, CMH.

I've been waiting for this announcement for over a decade; I'm extremely happy and excited that United has finally committed to starting the route. The aircraft type and flight times (particularly the departure from CMH) are what exactly what I envisioned for the route as it provides several opportunities for one-stop connections not available from other hubs on an aircraft suited for a long, thin route such as this. Again, it's been a long time coming, but I am very thankful to see the day finally come.

CMHMarc787

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:26 pm

And, VOILA, it is official: https://newshub.columbusairports.com/st ... -final.pdf

It's great to see that Nardone is really earning his paycheck...keep it up, sir!!!

boscmh

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 pm

For anyone wondering about possible incentives, this is from the updated Dispatch article -

"Columbus airport spokeswoman Angie Tabor said no outside incentives were offered for the United flight, but it will be eligible for co-marketing dollars and waived landing fees from the airport authority valued at about $335,000."

DeltaRules

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:06 pm

CMHMarc787 wrote:
And, VOILA, it is official: https://newshub.columbusairports.com/st ... -final.pdf

It's great to see that Nardone is really earning his paycheck...keep it up, sir!!!

Beautiful. UA is getting waived landing fees and marketing incentives to the tune of $335k, but no other subsidies were provided. (edit- boscmh just beat me to it)

I agree on Nardone; he's done nothing but hit dingers so far. I'm glad to see the change at the helm paid off as we thought it might.

Jshank83

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Both CVG and CLE getting axed along with STL on WOW.

https://twitter.com/ChrisNagusKMOV/stat ... 5896118275

DeltaRules

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Both CVG and CLE getting axed along with STL on WOW.

https://twitter.com/ChrisNagusKMOV/stat ... 5896118275

At least CVG and CLE still have TATL flights of some sort. And man, I'm glad WW passed on CMH all of a sudden.

papatango

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:34 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
CMHMarc787 wrote:
boscmh wrote:

UA 1585, CMH-SFO
dep CMH, 705A
arr SFO, 905A

UA 1608, SFO-CMH
dep SFO, 1030p
arr CMH, 608a

I think it's all based on where it's discovered and the timing. We picked up on F9's return in an OAG thread, with an announcement by the airport either later that day or sometime the next (can't remember which, I just remember I flew out that day and saw a banner after seeing the thread that morning). Keep in mind it's a Sunday night. They might still have something coming.

AA- All the dots are pretty well covered, though they're adding a second LAX next month. Upgauges?
DL- Adding SLC, though I doubt we'll get SEA from them. And, as we've discussed plenty, AMS (which I've heard is still on DL's radar). Maybe some IND-style year-round P2P (MCO?)
F9- Adding PBI. They might have some surprises at some point. Who saw AUS coming? Or SAT? ...or PBI?
G4- I thought I saw they were dropping MSY and AUS, but they're putting up decent numbers. Maybe those come back or they add others once they build the fleet back up?
NK- They'd be who I'd look to for SAN. Beyond that, who knows? Trashing yields to hubs?
UA- SFO pretty well wraps it up for them, too. Again, bigger metal across the network?
WN- SAN could work here, too. They'd also be the most likely to try some of the more random-sounding dots like MCI and MKE.

B6 is the only domestic airline CMH is missing and I'm starting to doubt that's going to happen. Outside of a WW/FI/DY, I can't see any other notable entrants.

I think SLC on Delta is probably a75% done deal. AMS on the other hand seems to have fallen off the table where are you getting info that it is still a Delta priority?

DeltaRules

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:43 pm

All of DL's CMH seasonal Saturday flights are coming back per the airport's website. I thought I read on here CMH-MIA was dropped, but FlyColumbus.com says it returns 3-2-19.

papatango wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
CMHMarc787 wrote:

I think SLC on Delta is probably a75% done deal. AMS on the other hand seems to have fallen off the table where are you getting info that it is still a Delta priority?

Scuttlebutt. Could be something, could be nothing. Given that SEA and SFO have happened in the first year of Nardone's tenure, though, it would make sense that they might focus their attention on that now.

DeltaRules

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:34 pm

WW is adding a new city next week:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 684201002/

...not saying it's CMH, but it could make sense. That said, DL is dropping MCO-GRU, which would free up a 767 and I'd rather have that plane come here in a perfect world.

Jshank83

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:44 pm

DeltaRules wrote:

...not saying it's CMH, but it could make sense. That said, DL is dropping MCO-GRU, which would free up a 767 and I'd rather have that plane come here in a perfect world.

We are going to announce one new major destination in North America next week.

Major makes me think it is going to be a bigger city. ATL/DEN/SEA/etc.

cvgComair

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Anyone know what is up with this DL flight currently enroute from CVG to El Salvador? https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9931

papatango

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

with Delta starting BOS-EDI service next summer it looks like T/A capable aircraft will be tight next year making T/A service from CMH unlikely

Shields

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:19 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Anyone know what is up with this DL flight currently enroute from CVG to El Salvador? https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9931

I suspect it is for maintenance. I think Delta has a contract there.

flymco753

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

I hope not ATL, DL would price match in a heartbeat. Probably somewhere with no ULCC exposure to KEF and beyond.

jplatts

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:44 pm

There was a post in the jetBlue Network Thread that said that there was going to be a big jetBlue announcement next week.

Is B6 going to be announcing new service out of CVG or re-entry into CMH next week?

DeltaRules

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Spirit's ground handler at CMH is hosting a hiring event next week with positions in multiple shifts and both full and part-time capacities open.

Is this an indicator of some sort of growth or do they have positions to fill due to turnover?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Jshank83

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:13 pm

jplatts wrote:
There was a post in the jetBlue Network Thread that said that there was going to be a big jetBlue announcement next week.

Is B6 going to be announcing new service out of CVG or re-entry into CMH next week?

What do you think?

jplatts

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

What do you think?

I think that B6 might possibly announce new service out of CVG since CVG is one of the largest markets in the U.S. that isn't currently served by B6.

While B6 is unlikely to announce plans to reenter CMH anytime soon, B6 reentering CMH is not completely out of the realm of possibility since B6 has reentered other markets such as ATL and BNA.

boscmh

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:58 pm

At its September board meeting the CRAA passed a very interesting resolution related to facility work at CMH, which I don't think we noticed in last month's packet,

DWL Architects & Planners, Inc. (DWL) was selected to perform planning and design services for the Terminal Capacity Enhancements Program. The program was chartered to resolve short term capacity issues in the Terminal that were identified during the Midfield Program Refinement effort.

DWL has completed work for Task Order #1 for concept development and programming for the Airline Relocation Project; Task Order #2 for concept development and programming for the Outbound Baggage Capacity Project; and Task Order #3 for concept development and programming for the Federal Inspection Service (FIS) Facility Expansion Project.

Additionally, as passenger and airline activity growth has continued above the base assumptions, a need has been identified to increase Ticket Counter Capacity for new entrants. DWL will conduct a study to determine how to add counter positions to the current ticket lobby while maintaining the design aesthetic established by the Terminal Modernization Program. Once a concept is approved and justified for implementation, DWL will develop design documents for bid and will implement those renovations under a Task Order.

TL;DR - So basically they are going to be re-adding more counter space in the ticket lobby, which was for some reason reduced during the recent renovations. Also, FIS will be renovated and expanded, and there appears to be a larger project underway possibly relocating one or more airlines from their current location in the terminal

DeltaRules

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:28 am

boscmh wrote:
At its September board meeting the CRAA passed a very interesting resolution related to facility work at CMH, which I don't think we noticed in last month's packet,

DWL Architects & Planners, Inc. (DWL) was selected to perform planning and design services for the Terminal Capacity Enhancements Program. The program was chartered to resolve short term capacity issues in the Terminal that were identified during the Midfield Program Refinement effort.

DWL has completed work for Task Order #1 for concept development and programming for the Airline Relocation Project; Task Order #2 for concept development and programming for the Outbound Baggage Capacity Project; and Task Order #3 for concept development and programming for the Federal Inspection Service (FIS) Facility Expansion Project.

Additionally, as passenger and airline activity growth has continued above the base assumptions, a need has been identified to increase Ticket Counter Capacity for new entrants. DWL will conduct a study to determine how to add counter positions to the current ticket lobby while maintaining the design aesthetic established by the Terminal Modernization Program. Once a concept is approved and justified for implementation, DWL will develop design documents for bid and will implement those renovations under a Task Order.

TL;DR - So basically they are going to be re-adding more counter space in the ticket lobby, which was for some reason reduced during the recent renovations. Also, FIS will be renovated and expanded, and there appears to be a larger project underway possibly relocating one or more airlines from their current location in the terminal
Where to begin? It never made any sense to me that the counters around the corners leading to A & C were removed. There won't be many more new entrants, but the fact there's no counter space for Alaska as it is illustrates this problem. There's always seemed to be a position for Charters, even before they use their own logos to cover what was otherwise an unused counter.

I'm curious as to what the rest of this means. Are they going to add gates somehow and, if so, where? They could conceivably stick a satellite on the East deice pad, but would they put the amount of money required for something that might only be used for 15 years? Further, how do you connect at the main terminal? Shuttle bus? Tunnel?

I'm also wondering what they mean by airline relocation. The big four have pretty much marked their territory, with Southwest on A, American on the low end and United on the high end of B, and Delta with most of C, with AC, NK, and F9 scattered around.

I've never been into the FIS area and I've always been curious as to what it looks like, but I can't imagine it couldn't handle a 757 if it already handles MD-80s, A320s, and 737s. A 767's worth of people, though...
Last edited by DeltaRules on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeltaRules

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:28 am

Double post, delete.

jplatts

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:35 am

DeltaRules wrote:
Spirit's ground handler at CMH is hosting a hiring event next week with positions in multiple shifts and both full and part-time capacities open.

Is this an indicator of some sort of growth or do they have positions to fill due to turnover?

I think that NK might be announcing new nonstop routes such as CMH-DFW soon.

AirportRival

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:18 am

DeltaRules wrote:

The Ground Handler for Spirit at CMH is Trego-Dugan. Most likely the hiring event is due to turnover/being short staffed. The corporate management at Trego is not forward thinking enough to hire people before flight additions are made. When I worked for them at CVG we would constantly have discussion's about being under staffed just to be told that we were not allowed to hire any more people. That company is a joke.

topguncnod

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:10 pm

cvgComair wrote:

Looks like is an ex GOL 738. Those have been flying from CVG for months to ATL and MCO w/o AVOD. Guessing it’s finally getting the update to activate.

cvgComair

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 pm

topguncnod wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Looks like is an ex GOL 738. Those have been flying from CVG for months to ATL and MCO w/o AVOD. Guessing it’s finally getting the update to activate.

Yep, I was just on one of those. I wish they didn't put so many of the non-AVOD 738s at CVG.

Speaking of 738s, quite a few DL changes this morning:
Effective Nov 27, CVG-LGA mainline frequency upguaged to B738
Effective Nov 27, CVG-DFW one CR9 frequency replaced with E175
Effective Jan 6, CVG-MCI one CR9 frequency replaced with E175
Effective March 2, one frequency of CVG-ATL upguaged to a B739
Effective March 3, CVG-RSW and one frequency of CVG-SLC upguaged to a B739
CVG-LAS A321 upguage pushed through the end of the schedule

jplatts

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:09 am

I am not currently seeing F9 operating CVG-ATL, CVG-AUS, CVG-DFW, CVG-JAX, CVG-LAX, CVG-MSP, CVG-LGA, CVG-PHL, CVG-RDU, or CVG-SJC nonstop service in April 2019, even though F9 did operate nonstop service to ATL, AUS, DFW, JAX, LAX, MSP, LGA, PHL, RDU, and SJC from CVG in April 2018.

There appears to be a significant reduction in capacity on F9 out of CVG in April 2019 (unless there are more flights out of CVG that F9 hasn't yet added to its flight schedule) compared to April 2018.

G4 will still be serving AUS, JAX, LAX, EWR, and RDU nonstop from CVG in April, May, and June 2019, and G4 could pick up more passengers on flights from CVG to AUS and the East Coast.

WN could add CVG-DAL nonstop service and nonstop service to 1 or 2 additional destinations west of the Mississippi out of CVG as demand for WN service out of CVG will likely be higher in Summer 2019 than it was in Summer 2018 since it appears that F9 is operating fewer nonstop routes out of CVG in Summer 2019. WN also has its next schedule extension on November 15th, which will extend the WN flight schedule to August 5, 2019.

B6 could add CVG-BOS, CVG-JFK, and CVG-FLL nonstop service if it adds service to CVG. There are also some travelers in NYC who are willing to fly on B6 but not on F9, and B6 would also be able to connect passengers to additional destinations in the Northeast from CVG if it adds CVG-JFK nonstop service.

While SY hasn't announced any new routes out of CVG, SY was considering adding service to CVG last year, and SY could add CVG-MSP nonstop service along with some other routes if it adds service to CVG.

AA could add CVG-LAX nonstop service, upgauge additional CVG-DFW nonstops to mainline, and upgauge some of its CVG-ORD and CVG-CLT nonstops to mainline.

DeltaRules

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:59 am

All the DL gates from C51 on at CMH have no gate info boards and they're using paper signs to note which flight is leaving.

They also say pardon our dust, so I'm guessing they're getting LCDs.

E- C48 has parking lines for everything up to and including a 757-200.

NoTime

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:11 pm

So, if the plan is starting to shift to keeping the current CMH facilities for longer than anticipated, (or to allow for more growth than anticipated prior to the new terminal being built) what could they do to add more gates?

DeltaRules

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 pm

NoTime wrote:
So, if the plan is starting to shift to keeping the current CMH facilities for longer than anticipated, (or to allow for more growth than anticipated prior to the new terminal being built) what could they do to add more gates?
Beyond what we've already talked about, could they do an MEM and add eastbound from the end of Concourse A? That same idea would be tough for C because there's a taxi lane to the ramp there.

Somebody (FlyCMH?) said there was once talk of extending B to the East around where B31 and 35 are.

NoTime

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:05 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
NoTime wrote:
Beyond what we've already talked about, could they do an MEM and add eastbound from the end of Concourse A? That same idea would be tough for C because there's a taxi lane to the ramp there.

Somebody (FlyCMH?) said there was once talk of extending B to the East around where B31 and 35 are.

Yeah, it would take some creativity to expand capacity by any worthwhile amount. They could maybe extend A to the west far enough to add another gate or two, before running into Lane. Or, as you said, maybe add small eastbound spurs to A and C to add a few gates to each?

But, yeah, expanding B eastward, one way or another, would probably add the most bang for the buck.

DeltaRules

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:20 pm

NoTime wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
NoTime wrote:

Yeah, it would take some creativity to expand capacity by any worthwhile amount. They could maybe extend A to the west far enough to add another gate or two, before running into Lane. Or, as you said, maybe add small eastbound spurs to A and C to add a few gates to each?

But, yeah, expanding B eastward, one way or another, would probably add the most bang for the buck.

Let me very loosely (and poorly) spend CRAA's money in a semi-educated fashion. :bigthumbsup: (I know some of these ideas are repeats, but still, one list.)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/John+ ... 82.8871767

A- Extend A eastbound over the A1 hardstand to add a gate or two (by going straight and/or turning the corner behind the ticketing lobby) and as much as you can westbound before running into Lane's CBP facility.. A goes from 5 jetways (A2-6) to 8-9 (A1-8/9).
B- Put two spurs where B31 and B35 are and re-route the taxi lane around them. Could you get 3-4 gates on each (two on the spur and one on the end)?
OR
-B satellite on the hardstands. Think D at CLE. It looks like there are 7-8 parking lines there. B37-44/45 (which runs nicely up against the current numbering system)?
C- A spur on C might make C46 useless. Not sure how much more you could do.

So you're looking at ~10 gates there if CRAA doesn't read this post and laugh hysterically at my spitballing? ;) There's a good problem to have in this: increasing mainline. Even at 8 this morning, when I got to the airport, there were still 3 DL 739s and a UA 319 and 738. That might factor into the design.

NoTime

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:57 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
NoTime wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Let me very loosely (and poorly) spend CRAA's money in a semi-educated fashion. :bigthumbsup: (I know some of these ideas are repeats, but still, one list.)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/John+ ... 82.8871767

A- Extend A eastbound over the A1 hardstand to add a gate or two (by going straight and/or turning the corner behind the ticketing lobby) and as much as you can westbound before running into Lane's CBP facility.. A goes from 5 jetways (A2-6) to 8-9 (A1-8/9).
B- Put two spurs where B31 and B35 are and re-route the taxi lane around them. Could you get 3-4 gates on each (two on the spur and one on the end)?
OR
-B satellite on the hardstands. Think D at CLE. It looks like there are 7-8 parking lines there. B37-44/45 (which runs nicely up against the current numbering system)?
C- A spur on C might make C46 useless. Not sure how much more you could do.

So you're looking at ~10 gates there if CRAA doesn't read this post and laugh hysterically at my spitballing? ;) There's a good problem to have in this: increasing mainline. Even at 8 this morning, when I got to the airport, there were still 3 DL 739s and a UA 319 and 738. That might factor into the design.

It would be expensive and time consuming, but could they expand the ramp, east of B, all the way up to almost the 94th aero squadron? Then, relocate the ARFF and fuel tanks and such, and you've suddenly got a lot more room to play with.

brooklynchris13

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:20 am

I love these what could we do about CMH capacity mini-threads! But first, the September numbers are in (part of the upcoming CRAA Board meeting)
September 2018: 648,346 passengers compared to 604,893 in September 2017. A 7.1% increase YOY.

Total at CMH for 2018 as of 9/30/18, 6,038,337 compared to 5,639,139 as of 9/30/17. YTD increase of 7.1%.

Airline performance:
Air Canada (4.4%); Delta (6.4% ); Southwest (4.4%) and United (6.4%) all posted gains.
American was basically flat, (-.08%)
Frontier down 39.6%.
Spirt was at 30,261 passengers for the month.
Over at LCK, Allegiant showed a very impressive 28.2% increase with 17,608 passengers for the month. (3,000 more than Frontier!)

As far as expansion at CMH, I do not think it is likely we will see much physical expansion of the footprint. The HVAC systems are the issue given for why they need a new terminal in the first place, and adding space would likely impact those systems significantly. Given that airlines are increasing size of aircraft and not really the total amount of flights, except Southwest and perhaps Spirit, it seems that some rearranging and tweaking is more likely going to be in order.

The entire "vertical" end of B could be rearranged to add gates and get more utilization. B36 has (2) parking spots now and B35 could be configured in the same manner. B33 could return with the shared door we have mentioned earlier with a full gate reinstalled at B29/B30. Air Canada could move to the B33 gate since they are only bringing in Regional Aircraft anyway. United could then have mainline aircraft capability at three gates, perhaps (4) if they share B35/B36. For Delta, I think its about getting more use out of B48 with Frontier perhaps moving to B47 or even using B46 when able. On the Southwest side, with reinstalling a jet-bridge at A1 and possibly some rearranging of the parking lines, you may be able to get up to 7 or 8 parking spots which should support their operation.

As much as I would love to see an actual expansion, I would be pretty shocked if that occurred. But, as Delta Rules said, this is a great problem to have. Also, for those TATL doubters and other nay-sayers, I really don't think they would be having these talks if they did not think there is growth to come. As we have discussed many times, there are not many logical destinations left on the domestic side of the house. Given the success of the new leadership team so far, I would not count anything out.

DeltaRules

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
I love these what could we do about CMH capacity mini-threads! But first, the September numbers are in (part of the upcoming CRAA Board meeting)
September 2018: 648,346 passengers compared to 604,893 in September 2017. A 7.1% increase YOY.

Total at CMH for 2018 as of 9/30/18, 6,038,337 compared to 5,639,139 as of 9/30/17. YTD increase of 7.1%.

Airline performance:
Air Canada (4.4%); Delta (6.4% ); Southwest (4.4%) and United (6.4%) all posted gains.
American was basically flat, (-.08%)
Frontier down 39.6%.
Spirt was at 30,261 passengers for the month.
Over at LCK, Allegiant showed a very impressive 28.2% increase with 17,608 passengers for the month. (3,000 more than Frontier!)

As far as expansion at CMH, I do not think it is likely we will see much physical expansion of the footprint. The HVAC systems are the issue given for why they need a new terminal in the first place, and adding space would likely impact those systems significantly. Given that airlines are increasing size of aircraft and not really the total amount of flights, except Southwest and perhaps Spirit, it seems that some rearranging and tweaking is more likely going to be in order.

The entire "vertical" end of B could be rearranged to add gates and get more utilization. B36 has (2) parking spots now and B35 could be configured in the same manner. B33 could return with the shared door we have mentioned earlier with a full gate reinstalled at B29/B30. Air Canada could move to the B33 gate since they are only bringing in Regional Aircraft anyway. United could then have mainline aircraft capability at three gates, perhaps (4) if they share B35/B36. For Delta, I think its about getting more use out of B48 with Frontier perhaps moving to B47 or even using B46 when able. On the Southwest side, with reinstalling a jet-bridge at A1 and possibly some rearranging of the parking lines, you may be able to get up to 7 or 8 parking spots which should support their operation.

As much as I would love to see an actual expansion, I would be pretty shocked if that occurred. But, as Delta Rules said, this is a great problem to have. Also, for those TATL doubters and other nay-sayers, I really don't think they would be having these talks if they did not think there is growth to come. As we have discussed many times, there are not many logical destinations left on the domestic side of the house. Given the success of the new leadership team so far, I would not count anything out.
Frontier is already at C47.

brooklynchris13

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks Delta Rules for the correction. I was too excited by the continued growth at CMH and got my gates screwed up.
On other CMH news, there are new plans for the old terminal, which look really good.
https://www.columbusunderground.com/new ... rminal-bw1