Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cvgComair

Re: The rest of Ohio - 2018

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:33 pm

The rumors are out again for an Amazon aircraft order of 100 B767's and a partial acquisition of DHL. https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... order.html

cvgComair

Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:09 pm

cvgComair wrote:
The rumors are out again for an Amazon aircraft order of 100 B767's and a partial acquisition of DHL. https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... order.html

Adding to that post, there are a lot of flaws in this article, but hopefully it means Amazon is working on its expansion plans. They just hired a bunch of new staff for Amazon Air to focus on expanding the hub, some are based in Cincinnati, while others are in Seattle. I also saw a reference to the KCAB moving their office space to the Concourse A space and the CONRAC once it is finished, so my guess is that Amazon plans to take over the entire Comair building. It will be interesting to watch.

cvgComair

Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 am

OneJet is purchasing Ultimate Air Shuttle, while the two brands will remain separate, they will be integrating operations. Hopefully this will allow them to grow again and possibly return to CVG. Since OneJet cannot operate from LUK due to the need for security checks and ban on passenger flights, I think they would have a strong incentive to switch to CVG.

It sounds like new routes will be announced in May. I would assume this means CVG to PIT will be returning. I think there are a lot of routes that could be opened from CVG such as OMA/ORF/RIC/GRR/PIT/MEM/MSN/ALB/BUF/etc. I wonder if CVG will become a "base", with UE being the operator here (like Contour at PIT).

SkyVoice

Tue May 01, 2018 4:19 am

cvgComair wrote:
OneJet is purchasing Ultimate Air Shuttle, while the two brands will remain separate, they will be integrating operations.

Hey, cvgComair, you forgot to post a link! No problem, I've got your back this time. Y'all can read about this merger right here . . .

https://privatejetcardcomparisons.com/2 ... -charters/

cvgComair

Tue May 01, 2018 4:22 am

SkyVoice wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
OneJet is purchasing Ultimate Air Shuttle, while the two brands will remain separate, they will be integrating operations.

Hey, cvgComair, you forgot to post a link! No problem, I've got your back this time. Y'all can read about this merger right here . . .

Thanks for adding the link, totally forgot. I would assume there will be public announcements soon?

Springs1816

Tue May 01, 2018 3:52 pm

cvgComair wrote:
SkyVoice wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Thanks for adding the link, totally forgot. I would assume there will be public announcements soon?

I know the business traveler will generally not like a move to CVG but I would like all the city's flights to be condensed to one location. I know this is small compared the other carriers but I want to fill up those big terminals as much as possible. Look forward to seeing what comes of this. If they can keep the prices decent it could potentially appeal to non biz travelers.

brooklynchris13

Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 pm

NoTime wrote:
I noticed at CMH today what looked like some broken ground near the cell phone lot... are they already starting on the new rental car facility?

Hello! Yes, that is the start of work on the rental car garage. Here is the link to the site plan. You can go from here to the stages and next pieces to the built.
https://flycolumbus.com/about-us/new-terminal

cvgComair

Tue May 01, 2018 10:12 pm

According to UE/J1, in the short term, Ultimate will operate at LUK while OneJet will operate at CVG (CVG-PIT is coming back). Both carriers will be adding more frequencies and destinations soon, with a shift from LUK to CVG in the plans for the future.

Springs1816

Wed May 02, 2018 12:09 am

cvgComair wrote:
According to UE/J1, in the short term, Ultimate will operate at LUK while OneJet will operate at CVG (CVG-PIT is coming back). Both carriers will be adding more frequencies and destinations soon, with a shift from LUK to CVG in the plans for the future.

Do you know which aircraft will be coming back to the CVG-PIT flight?

cvgComair

Wed May 02, 2018 12:20 am

Springs1816 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Do you know which aircraft will be coming back to the CVG-PIT flight?

It will be operated by a 30-seat aircraft 2x/day, wether it is operated by Ultimate Air Shuttle or Contour is TBD. While the Ultimate brand flights will not be at CVG for a little bit, OneJet will be using Ultimate's aircraft on their own routes starting in June (including out of CVG). The exec joked today that they will be fighting over which airport and who flies the new routes from Cincinnati given the strong demand, however, they will not be using the 7/8-seaters at CVG and they are going to be phased out at PIT.

They are going to announce roughly 100 new weekly flights by the end of May, which translates to roughly 5-10 new routes depending on frequency. It sounds like these will be split amongst CVG/LUK and PIT. They have already talked about LUK-BNA being at the top of the list, so I would expect routes similar to this.

flyPIT

Wed May 02, 2018 3:35 am

cvgComair wrote:
It will be operated by a 30-seat aircraft 2x/day, wether it is operated by Ultimate Air Shuttle or Contour is TBD. While the Ultimate brand flights will not be at CVG for a little bit, OneJet will be using Ultimate's aircraft on their own routes starting in June (including out of CVG). The exec joked today that they will be fighting over which airport and who flies the new routes from Cincinnati given the strong demand, however, they will not be using the 7/8-seaters at CVG and they are going to be phased out at PIT.

They are going to announce roughly 100 new weekly flights by the end of May, which translates to roughly 5-10 new routes depending on frequency. It sounds like these will be split amongst CVG/LUK and PIT. They have already talked about LUK-BNA being at the top of the list, so I would expect routes similar to this.

Is there a source for any of this? Other than the elimination of 7 seaters and Ultimate aircraft being integrated into OneJet I haven't seen any specifics on what the growth will look like other than speculative articles in the local CVG/CLE/PIT press.

cvgComair

Wed May 02, 2018 4:39 am

flyPIT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Is there a source for any of this? Other than the elimination of 7 seaters and Ultimate aircraft being integrated into OneJet I haven't seen any specifics on what the growth will look like other than speculative articles in the local CVG/CLE/PIT press.

The two executives of J1 and UE mentioned all of these stats today in their comments on the acquisition. The J1 executive said that growth will occur at both CVG and LUK, while the Ultimate executive commented that BNA was at the top of the list for new destinations. He also commented that Ultimate would look at expanding at CVG as well.

Of course the 100 flights a week is what they "said" they would do, but judging by J1's track record, it is unlikely they will hit that amount. I can't find the 100 flight/week written in an article, but I have heard they gave that number somewhere today.

Most of the dialog discussing these facts is in this article: https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... tions.html

DeltaRules

Wed May 02, 2018 2:14 pm

flyPIT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

So how does this affect routes like CMH-MKE if they're dumping the 7 seaters? Will they go straight to DO-328Jets or ERJs or will they be taking a chainsaw to the route map?

flyCMH

Wed May 02, 2018 2:38 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

So how does this affect routes like CMH-MKE if they're dumping the 7 seaters? Will they go straight to DO-328Jets or ERJs or will they be taking a chainsaw to the route map?

I'm really hoping the CMH-MKE route sees the upgauge to E135s. It seems to do well with the BE40s, so hopefully it will not see the ax. It would be nice to see OneJet utilize the 135s to tackle other mid-range routes from CMH, particularly BDL, MCI, and MEM. I guess we'll find out what's in store later this month.

cvgComair

Wed May 02, 2018 4:14 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

I don't know the timeline for the phasing out of the 7-seat fleet. All they said was that they planned to upgrade routes to the 30-seaters, so I would assume CMH-MKE would be upguaged?

cvgComair

Wed May 02, 2018 4:20 pm

The Ultimate CEO has confirmed that Ultimate is going to grow out of LUK so they will return to CVG, though it sounds like they will keep some flights at LUK as well:
"There's only so much growth opportunity at Lunken," Pawlak said. "Combining the Ultimate model and the OneJet model, and if we grow the way we anticipate, we will utilize CVG again and continue service out of Lunken."

About Nashville:
"It's also too early to tell what destinations Ultimate and OneJet could add. Pawlak said they'll focus on expansion to the "eastern part of the United States," but Nashville has long been on his wish list. Both companies will continue to serve their niche: small- to medium-sized markets considered underserved."

https://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/oneje ... urn-to-cvg

Springs1816

Wed May 02, 2018 10:05 pm

So what is the fascination with J1/UE starting Nashville? I understand it's a"hot" metro but it's also relatively close to CVG and can been driven fairly easily plus it is already serviced by DL. Why not start something like BOS or is that too far and hard to get into? Why not Memphis with no competition now? Just seems like some better options may be out. Perhaps they'll add them eventually.

Also, is it efficient or realistic to have flights from two different airports in the same city on this small of a scale?

cledaybuck

Thu May 03, 2018 5:49 pm

As of next March, DL shows CVG-PHX changing to 5x weekly, with PHX-CVG not operating Saturday and Tuesday and CVG-PHX not operating Sunday and Wednesday. This seems to be an odd time of year to do this. Does anyone think the will reinstate it to daily?

DeltaRules

Thu May 03, 2018 6:01 pm

PSA is taking 15 more CRJ-900s: https://www.psaairlines.com/news/psa-ai ... n-airlines

Good for the folks in Dayton.

cvgComair

Thu May 03, 2018 7:25 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
As of next March, DL shows CVG-PHX changing to 5x weekly, with PHX-CVG not operating Saturday and Tuesday and CVG-PHX not operating Sunday and Wednesday. This seems to be an odd time of year to do this. Does anyone think the will reinstate it to daily?

It's a filler schedule, so definitely not final. They are playing around with the 738 schedule right now, so the frequencies will probably change by the time March comes around. Also, DL often undercuts frequency for some routes during the March schedule, but then later adds the frequency back. I don't know why they do this, but they have done it at CVG for multiple years now.

cvgComair

Fri May 04, 2018 5:58 pm

CVG-AUS must be doing well, the route will be on a CRJ-900 effective June 4, originally it wasn't scheduled to get a 900 until next year.

rockyracoon

Sat May 05, 2018 12:39 am

Does anyone have any photos of AA at Concourse B to share? :veryhappy:

I'm surprised to see the CVG website hasn't been updated to relfect the change, they tend to be on top of stuff.

AirportRival

Sat May 05, 2018 4:18 am

The move will be official on the 8th. They've removed all Delta signage from the gates and jetbridge's. The odd thing (to me anyways) is that they've painted 7 parking "gates" on the ramp in their area but only have 5 jetbridge's. I'm curious to see why they painted two extra.

SumChristianus

Sat May 05, 2018 12:46 pm

AirportRival wrote:
The move will be official on the 8th. They've removed all Delta signage from the gates and jetbridge's. The odd thing (to me anyways) is that they've painted 7 parking "gates" on the ramp in their area but only have 5 jetbridge's. I'm curious to see why they painted two extra.

Ground level boarding for regional (50-seat) jets?

These are five former DL gates in Terminal B, right?

cvgComair

Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
AirportRival wrote:

Yes, these are gates B18/20/22/24/26. Gates B18/22/24/26 are able to handle two regional aircraft each using ground level boarding. I find it odd that they would need 7 gates given that they are only adding 4 daily flights this summer. I know that other airlines will be floating in and out of these gates, so perhaps another carrier will be coming over soon?

In addition, B21/25 can handle 2 aircraft, while B27/28 can handle 3 aircraft. I would not be surprised to see DL divide up these gates for space during peak times/places for RON aircraft.

Also, it looks like CVG will be debranding more ticket counters for another carrier (I would assume some of DL's, but there is no specification), does anyone know who else is moving around? I would love it to be a new carrier :-), but I have a feeling it is WN or someone else needing more space.

ADrum23

Sat May 05, 2018 2:17 pm

cvgComair wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:
AirportRival wrote:

Yes, these are gates B18/20/22/24/26. Gates B18/22/24/26 are able to handle two regional aircraft each using ground level boarding. I find it odd that they would need 7 gates given that they are only adding 4 daily flights this summer. I know that other airlines will be floating in and out of these gates, so perhaps another carrier will be coming over soon?

In addition, B21/25 can handle 2 aircraft, while B27/28 can handle 3 aircraft. I would not be surprised to see DL divide up these gates for space during peak times/places for RON aircraft.

Also, it looks like CVG will be debranding more ticket counters for another carrier (I would assume some of DL's, but there is no specification), does anyone know who else is moving around? I would love it to be a new carrier :-), but I have a feeling it is WN or someone else needing more space.

How many gates does DL need for its operation? I know they have an exclusive lease on B, but 28 gates is a lot for a carrier running under 100 flights. Heck, they could probably give away another 7 and still have enough for their current level of service (while still retaining the ability to expand to 100 flights a day). I still think UA should join AA and DL in B permanently to give maximum room in A for WN, F9 and G4 to expand.

To your second point, I think it is simply a matter of when B6 and/or AS come to CVG, and we could be seeing an announcement here fairly soon.

cvgComair

Sat May 05, 2018 2:17 pm

Delta is cutting CVG-XNA effective August 10. Not a shocker there, it was pretty inevitable after they were forced to make it a mid-day departure (eliminating the possibility for day trips) or upguage it to a CRJ-700. IMO, BNA is probably the last route at risk, perhaps MKE if OneJet/Ultimate begins the route.

In a more positive light, DL has added a 2nd daily mainline flight for the Spring 2019 operated by an A319 and CVG-DEN will switch to a B737-800.

ADrum23 wrote:
How many gates does DL need for its operation? I know they have an exclusive lease on B, but 28 gates is a lot for a carrier running under 100 flights. Heck, they could probably give away another 7 and still have enough for their current level of service (while still retaining the ability to expand to 100 flights a day). I still think UA should join AA and DL in B permanently to give maximum room in A for WN, F9 and G4 to expand.

To your second point, I think it is simply a matter of when B6 and/or AS come to CVG, and we could be seeing an announcement here fairly soon.

21 excluding space for RON. With the new config of gates they will need to use the RON area sometimes instead of leaving the aircraft at the gates. A simple solution would be to paint both lines and just use the jetway on one and use the other line for RON. It really is not too big of an issue, the vast majority of the day DL has plenty of overflow space.

topguncnod

Sat May 05, 2018 5:15 pm

What route did they add a second daily flight to?

cvgComair

Sat May 05, 2018 5:46 pm

topguncnod wrote:
What route did they add a second daily flight to?

Sorry, it is MSP.

AirportRival

Sat May 05, 2018 6:24 pm

The debranding of the DL ticket counter at the far East end is the WOW positions. It is possible that another airline could use them since they will have common use equipment there.

cvgComair

Sat May 05, 2018 10:38 pm

AirportRival wrote:
The debranding of the DL ticket counter at the far East end is the WOW positions. It is possible that another airline could use them since they will have common use equipment there.

Has the WOW ticket counter space been completed yet? This particular debranding project is being done later this year. Not sure if they are the same or different projects.

Shields

Sun May 06, 2018 1:59 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Delta is cutting CVG-XNA effective August 10. Not a shocker there, it was pretty inevitable after they were forced to make it a mid-day departure (eliminating the possibility for day trips) or upguage it to a CRJ-700. IMO, BNA is probably the last route at risk, perhaps MKE if OneJet/Ultimate begins the route.

In a more positive light, DL has added a 2nd daily mainline flight for the Spring 2019 operated by an A319 and CVG-DEN will switch to a B737-800.

Great finds. I'm not sure what to make of the XNA cut. It has had weak loads, of course, but I always thought that the P&G business helped justify the route. Apparently not. I wonder whether this speaks more to the ongoing internal restructuring at P&G rather than the viability of CVG.

Looking at the DL March 2019 schedule, the MD-80 returns to CVG-ATL. (Obviously, equipment schedules this far out could be unreliable). And, I can't remember if this has been discussed before but CVG-RSW goes to a 737-800. That is a huge increase over what had, for several years, been a CR9.

I'd still like to see some regional upgrades: it is disappointing that CVG-RDU is on CR2, whereas IND/CMH/CLE-RDU all see two-class RJs. CVG-PHL would seem to be another route that could/should justify two-class RJs.

cvgComair

Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Shields wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Great finds. I'm not sure what to make of the XNA cut. It has had weak loads, of course, but I always thought that the P&G business helped justify the route. Apparently not. I wonder whether this speaks more to the ongoing internal restructuring at P&G rather than the viability of CVG.

Looking at the DL March 2019 schedule, the MD-80 returns to CVG-ATL. (Obviously, equipment schedules this far out could be unreliable). And, I can't remember if this has been discussed before but CVG-RSW goes to a 737-800. That is a huge increase over what had, for several years, been a CR9.

I'd still like to see some regional upgrades: it is disappointing that CVG-RDU is on CR2, whereas IND/CMH/CLE-RDU all see two-class RJs. CVG-PHL would seem to be another route that could/should justify two-class RJs.

XNA was because of the CRJ-200 drawdown, there was nowhere to route the aircraft for an AM departure/PM return schedule, so they were forced to make an out/back schedule, which was unpopular with business travelers. I have heard most are using AA/UA through ORD instead. I don't think it reflects at all on CVG.

The 738's adds are really nice. Although they did put a 738 on RSW for a little bit last year, the timeframe is longer this year. I was very confused about the MD-80's given I was just hearing Delta was going to eliminate them from CVG, but my guess is it is just a copy-and-paste from an old schedule.

They have been cycling in and out of offering the 2-class RJ's on CVG-CLT/PHL/RDU, I would imagine they will eventually be all 2-class, but I don't understand why they keep using the CRJ-200's. CVG-CLT got one/day CRJ-900 in Feb/March, CVG-PHL was all CRJ-900 in March/April, and CVG-RDU sees one/day CRJ-900 this summer.

ADrum23

Sun May 06, 2018 3:22 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Shields wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

XNA was because of the CRJ-200 drawdown, there was nowhere to route the aircraft for an AM departure/PM return schedule, so they were forced to make an out/back schedule, which was unpopular with business travelers. I have heard most are using AA/UA through ORD instead. I don't think it reflects at all on CVG.

The 738's adds are really nice. Although they did put a 738 on RSW for a little bit last year, the timeframe is longer this year. I was very confused about the MD-80's given I was just hearing Delta was going to eliminate them from CVG, but my guess is it is just a copy-and-paste from an old schedule.

They have been cycling in and out of offering the 2-class RJ's on CVG-CLT/PHL/RDU, I would imagine they will eventually be all 2-class, but I don't understand why they keep using the CRJ-200's. CVG-CLT got one/day CRJ-900 in Feb/March, CVG-PHL was all CRJ-900 in March/April, and CVG-RDU sees one/day CRJ-900 this summer.

I hope they don’t cut any more routes, I have a bad feeling BNA will be next because of the poor timing of the flights.

cvgComair

Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
Shields wrote:

I hope they don’t cut any more routes, I have a bad feeling BNA will be next because of the poor timing of the flights.

If they do though, CVG-MEM/XNA/BNA are perfect routes for OneJet/Ultimate Air Shuttle to take over.

DeltaRules

Sun May 06, 2018 9:06 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

Were the three western destinations part of the "four new markets" B6 was entering this year? If that's to be taken literally, combined with MSP, nobody else might see B6 for a while.

jtwall

Tue May 08, 2018 5:45 pm

New article from the Enquirer talking about the possibility of new international flights at CVG following the launch of WW. Nothing really new at all, but figured I'd post regardless. Airport confirms its top targets for new service are London, Tokyo, and Munich/Frankfurt.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/ ... 582316002/

cvgComair

Tue May 08, 2018 5:55 pm

A USA Jet Airlines DC-9 from YIP is enroute to CVG currently: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JUS205. They have a fleet of cargo DC-9's, 727's and MD80's, it would be exciting to see if DHL contracted some work out to them, but I figure this must be a one-off.

DeltaRules

Tue May 08, 2018 6:57 pm

cvgComair wrote:
A USA Jet Airlines DC-9 from YIP is enroute to CVG currently: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JUS205. They have a fleet of cargo DC-9's, 727's and MD80's, it would be exciting to see if DHL contracted some work out to them, but I figure this must be a one-off.

It's fun to see those seemingly random charters come in and out. DAY was getting almost daily 727 action last Spring and Summer.

I was at WACO Air Museum (just off the approach path for 18) one day last May for a work event and thought I'd seen a ghost when I saw a 727.

cvgComair

Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

It's fun to see those seemingly random charters come in and out. DAY was getting almost daily 727 action last Spring and Summer.

I was at WACO Air Museum (just off the approach path for 18) one day last May for a work event and thought I'd seen a ghost when I saw a 727.

I love seeing the old aircraft. CVG gets a few daily 727's from DHL and it is a cool sight to see them lined up next to each other on the ramp.

jtwall wrote:
New article from the Enquirer talking about the possibility of new international flights at CVG following the launch of WW. Nothing really new at all, but figured I'd post regardless. Airport confirms its top targets for new service are London, Tokyo, and Munich/Frankfurt.

I did notice an interesting quote from the CVG CEO: "This might be the proof to legacy carriers that there's pent-up demand for more transatlantic and international service," McGraw said.

That seems like a direct reference to DL... I would think a seasonal flight to AMS, LHR, or FRA could do pretty well. There is also the possibility of codeshares with WestJet to Canada and AeroMexico to Mexico, hopefully something is in the works!

ADrum23

Tue May 08, 2018 11:25 pm

cvgComair wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

I love seeing the old aircraft. CVG gets a few daily 727's from DHL and it is a cool sight to see them lined up next to each other on the ramp.

jtwall wrote:

I did notice an interesting quote from the CVG CEO: "This might be the proof to legacy carriers that there's pent-up demand for more transatlantic and international service," McGraw said.

That seems like a direct reference to DL... I would think a seasonal flight to AMS, LHR, or FRA could do pretty well. There is also the possibility of codeshares with WestJet to Canada and AeroMexico to Mexico, hopefully something is in the works!

I see CVG and BNA as the top prime candidates in the midwest/southern region for seasonal DE service to FRA in the near future. DL could add CVG-LHR (or resume, did they switch over from LGW to LHR before London was cut around 2008/2009?), whether seasonal or year round. But between DL to CDG/LHR, DE to FRA and WW to KEF, I'd say CVG would have enough TATL at that point.

WS will be interesting. With the potential JV, I see them coming into a lot of airports in the region. ATL, CVG, DTW, MSP, RDU, AUS, etc are all decent candidates.

DeltaRules

Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 am

ADrum23 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

jtwall wrote:

I see CVG and BNA as the top prime candidates in the midwest/southern region for seasonal DE service to FRA in the near future. DL could add CVG-LHR (or resume, did they switch over from LGW to LHR before London was cut around 2008/2009?), whether seasonal or year round. But between DL to CDG/LHR, DE to FRA and WW to KEF, I'd say CVG would have enough TATL at that point.

WS will be interesting. With the potential JV, I see them coming into a lot of airports in the region. ATL, CVG, DTW, MSP, RDU, AUS, etc are all decent candidates.

I don't think DL ran CVG-LHR. I seem to remember DL 1 originating at CVG and stopping at JFK before changing to a 767 and continuing to LHR.

cvgComair

Wed May 09, 2018 2:23 am

DeltaRules wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

I don't think DL ran CVG-LHR. I seem to remember DL 1 originating at CVG and stopping at JFK before changing to a 767 and continuing to LHR.

Correct, the nonstop flight only ever went to LGW. The route was cut right before DL switched to LHR.

brooklynchris13

Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Afternoon everyone. I had the chance to attend a luncheon presentation on Columbus Aviation today that proved very interesting. Speakers included Joe Nardone (CRAA) , Debbie Ryan (ascena), David Stratchko (DL), Marla Rose of the Columbus Dispatch and Nancy Recchie (Historical Preservation). Not a great amount of shocking news, but lots of talk about desired new service, the explosive growth in Cargo at LCK and the great team at the Airport working to improve air service. DL did announce that SLC will be coming back in 2019 and strongly hinted at a European destination "as soon as a few other things are worked out" -- or something very close to that. I took from that the perception that they are working on some corporate contracts + guarantees, but I could be off a bit. My $$ is also on an AMS flight and not CDG. The other interesting element was their lack of specifics on the new terminal. There was no mention of date although they did introduce the person they hired to manage the project. The focus on that side is the new rental car facility. An additional comment by Mr Nardone was his desire more to focus on the airlines already there instead of attracting new carriers. Also of note, American, United, Spirit, Frontier and One Jet were not mentioned by name. Southwest was called out (they had a rep there) and Delta was a featured speaker. That would tend to give the impression that Europe on AA (or BA) is not likely, but that could be a misread of the tea leaves.

boscmh

Wed May 09, 2018 7:05 pm

That is very interesting indeed. Thanks for the detailed report! That DL had someone on the panel of speakers is encouraging. And fantastic news that they intend to resume SLC, hopefully we can get a formal announcement on that soon. I think AMS on DL makes the most sense for TATL too. We are basically surrounded on all sides by CDG (PIT, IND, CVG) and AA doesn't seem interested in playing the P2P game

DeltaRules

Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
Afternoon everyone. I had the chance to attend a luncheon presentation on Columbus Aviation today that proved very interesting. Speakers included Joe Nardone (CRAA) , Debbie Ryan (ascena), David Stratchko (DL), Marla Rose of the Columbus Dispatch and Nancy Recchie (Historical Preservation). Not a great amount of shocking news, but lots of talk about desired new service, the explosive growth in Cargo at LCK and the great team at the Airport working to improve air service. DL did announce that SLC will be coming back in 2019 and strongly hinted at a European destination "as soon as a few other things are worked out" -- or something very close to that. I took from that the perception that they are working on some corporate contracts + guarantees, but I could be off a bit. My $$ is also on an AMS flight and not CDG. The other interesting element was their lack of specifics on the new terminal. There was no mention of date although they did introduce the person they hired to manage the project. The focus on that side is the new rental car facility. An additional comment by Mr Nardone was his desire more to focus on the airlines already there instead of attracting new carriers. Also of note, American, United, Spirit, Frontier and One Jet were not mentioned by name. Southwest was called out (they had a rep there) and Delta was a featured speaker. That would tend to give the impression that Europe on AA (or BA) is not likely, but that could be a misread of the tea leaves.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Was this a public event?

SLC returning is good news and the straight from the horse's mouth admission that DL would be the TATL partner is encouraging. As for WN and DL having reps there, my impression is they've long been (and will continue to be) the biggest players at CMH, so their participation seems to support that. I think NK might be a bigger factor at CMH at some point (look at what they're already doing), but they probably won't reach the levels of the other two.

AirportRival

Wed May 09, 2018 8:52 pm

CVG Update:

Just did a quick walk-through of Concourse B for the preparation for WOW.
- Looks like the Delta Sky Lounge is getting a facelift. I can't tell for sure since I would have to pay to go look but there is a banner in the Concourse mentioning something about it.
- The American gates look good. The gate counters are branded just like the Delta gates which I actually prefer over the generic look.
- Some of the new restaurants going in B have already opened.

jplatts

Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
Afternoon everyone. I had the chance to attend a luncheon presentation on Columbus Aviation today that proved very interesting. Speakers included Joe Nardone (CRAA) , Debbie Ryan (ascena), David Stratchko (DL), Marla Rose of the Columbus Dispatch and Nancy Recchie (Historical Preservation). Not a great amount of shocking news, but lots of talk about desired new service, the explosive growth in Cargo at LCK and the great team at the Airport working to improve air service. DL did announce that SLC will be coming back in 2019 and strongly hinted at a European destination "as soon as a few other things are worked out" -- or something very close to that. I took from that the perception that they are working on some corporate contracts + guarantees, but I could be off a bit. My $$ is also on an AMS flight and not CDG. Southwest was called out (they had a rep there) and Delta was a featured speaker.

Will DL ever add nonstop service to its SEA hub from CMH? SEA is one of the top destinations traveled to from CMH that doesn't have any nonstop service from CMH, and DL's SEA hub is now bigger than its CVG focus city.

DeltaRules

Wed May 09, 2018 11:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:
Afternoon everyone. I had the chance to attend a luncheon presentation on Columbus Aviation today that proved very interesting. Speakers included Joe Nardone (CRAA) , Debbie Ryan (ascena), David Stratchko (DL), Marla Rose of the Columbus Dispatch and Nancy Recchie (Historical Preservation). Not a great amount of shocking news, but lots of talk about desired new service, the explosive growth in Cargo at LCK and the great team at the Airport working to improve air service. DL did announce that SLC will be coming back in 2019 and strongly hinted at a European destination "as soon as a few other things are worked out" -- or something very close to that. I took from that the perception that they are working on some corporate contracts + guarantees, but I could be off a bit. My $$ is also on an AMS flight and not CDG. Southwest was called out (they had a rep there) and Delta was a featured speaker.

Will DL ever add nonstop service to its SEA hub from CMH? SEA is one of the top destinations traveled to from CMH that doesn't have any nonstop service from CMH, and DL's SEA hub is now bigger than its CVG focus city.

I would refer upthread to previous discussion about CMH-SEA but, in this case, it's actually relevant. Did they mention SEA brooklynchris13?

brooklynchris13

Thu May 10, 2018 12:04 am

jplatts wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:

There were three US cities specifically cited multiple times in the presentation as the goal: SFO; SEA; and SLC. SAN was also mentioned at least once I believe. My feeling is that SLC will be the add for DL on the west coast for now, but it was also referenced about the number of PPDEW between CMH and SEA, so who knows?

Some of the other items I left out above was the CRAA quoting the cost of starting new European service as $45 Million. Which seems like a very interesting measure. Apparently that includes personnel, equipment, training, etc. and is the goal they use when measuring if adding a flight is worth it. The other comment made by the rep from DL was the importance of "up-guaging" aircraft at CMH to get more people to DL hubs. Seats on DL have gone up 25% since 2013 with a load factor of 77%, something they were quite happy about. Maybe we will see some A321 action on a consistent basis.

And yes Delta Rules, it was a public event. I think tickets for the general public were $45 (included lunch) but if you are a member of the Columbus Metropolitan Club its only $25.00.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos