Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

What's Going In CLE - 2018

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:57 pm

Please continue to post your updates and your discussion here.

Link to old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1343657

greenair727

Re: What's Going In CLE - 2018

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 am

Just a comment on the 'two-stop' to anywhere in the world.

We have that now. If you stop in say, NYC/IAD and then change in AMS/DXB/LHR, etc. to your destination (if a major city)---that's two stops.

The benefit (whether KL/DL or an ME3) would be the non-stop to the European port of entry. However, If it is an ME3 carrier, then flying into AMS is easy, but then getting to another European city (by plane) would require a trip to DOH/AUH/DXB first before flying back to Europe.... If going to say India or Japan, one could fly KL CLE-AMS-destination. But if an ME3, it would be CLE-Europe-DXB/AUH/DOH-India/Japan. So my hope is its still KL/DL, but I'd still happily take QR or an UAE carrier over nothing at all. Ironically, it wouldn't be a non-stop to the airline's home base and, though "Europe" is a bigger destination for CLE than Qatar or the UAE, the right city must be chosen as connections between European cities won't be easy unless partners are used.

flymco753

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:52 am

^On top of that, why would an ME3 start CLE before DTW? Unless they’re trying to capture Detroit traffic to use CLE. Sorry if I’m “hijacking” this thread but that’s my two-cents.

greenair727

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:33 am

^If it did happen, it'd be because they could capture a currently untapped market with great demand. DTW has great European service. CLE is a 4-5MM person market, the largest city in the US without non-stop service to the European mainland. They would be filling a market that UA and others have failed to do so thus far.

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:27 am

greenair727 wrote:

We have that now. If you stop in say, NYC/IAD and then change in AMS/DXB/LHR, etc. to your destination (if a major city)---that's two stops.

The benefit (whether KL/DL or an ME3) would be the non-stop to the European port of entry. However, If it is an ME3 carrier, then flying into AMS is easy, but then getting to another European city (by plane) would require a trip to DOH/AUH/DXB first before flying back to Europe.... If going to say India or Japan, one could fly KL CLE-AMS-destination. But if an ME3, it would be CLE-Europe-DXB/AUH/DOH-India/Japan. So my hope is its still KL/DL, but I'd still happily take QR or an UAE carrier over nothing at all. Ironically, it wouldn't be a non-stop to the airline's home base and, though "Europe" is a bigger destination for CLE than Qatar or the UAE, the right city must be chosen as connections between European cities won't be easy unless partners are used.

flymco753 wrote:
^On top of that, why would an ME3 start CLE before DTW? Unless they’re trying to capture Detroit traffic to use CLE. Sorry if I’m “hijacking” this thread but that’s my two-cents.

I'll save you the trouble, it isn't one of the US3. There about 10 different reasons I can think of right off the top of my head, as to why it wouldn't be. EI to DUB, DE to FRA, or DL to AMS/CDG(KLM doesn't have the A/C size for such a route) are the most likely, if the prediction he made is true.

CLEguy

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
I'll save you the trouble, it isn't one of the US3. There about 10 different reasons I can think of right off the top of my head, as to why it wouldn't be. EI to DUB, DE to FRA, or DL to AMS/CDG(KLM doesn't have the A/C size for such a route) are the most likely, if the prediction he made is true.

Aer Lingus is an intriguing suggestion. They already serve a secondary market in the US, BDL, and are starting PHL in March 2018. They also serve over an additional 100 destinations across the world through codeshare and interline agreements with Air Canada, British Airways, Etihad Airways, Flybe, JetBlue and United Airlines.

masseybrown

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:21 pm

CLEguy wrote:
Aer Lingus is an intriguing suggestion. They already serve a secondary market in the US, BDL, and are starting PHL in March 2018. They also serve over an additional 100 destinations across the world through codeshare and interline agreements with Air Canada, British Airways, Etihad Airways, Flybe, JetBlue and United Airlines.

Is it clear that IAG will survive Brexit intact? Except for that cloud over the deal, EI would be a nice add for CLE.

greenair727

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:48 pm

EI would be a nice add, but the regarding the Joe Roman quote, he said mainland Europe.

swacle

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:12 pm

DL to AMS is the only possibility that makes sense IMO. The others lack a suitable aircraft for the mission. While In would love to see a Lufty or KLM 330 in here, I don't see it happening, at least to start. A DL 752 to AMS is the answer and I would be shocked if it was anyone else.

greenair727

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:41 pm

Was looking at the USDOT docket for any clues re the new Europe service, but didn't find any. But I did come across a Feb 2017 request from Viva Aerobus for route authority on:

"From Acapulco, Chihuahua, Guadalajara, Guaymas, Hermosillo, Huatulco, La Paz, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Mexico City, Toluca, Monterrey, Puerto Escondido, Puerto
Vallarta, San Jose del Cabo, and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo to Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia, Washington, and Baltimore, and beyond to Canada;" (Page 3 from document at:
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0134-0007)

Was this awarded? And if so, will they commence MEX-CLE service or just trying to grab authority for future expansion?

acentauri

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:29 am

CLEguy wrote:

PHL is a OW Hub. Further, EI has stated they are attempting to join the BA/AA Trans-Atlantic Joint Venture, which would likely lead them to eventually join OW (again). So any implication that since EI serves PHL, they should also serve CLE is a bit far reaching, ignoring the even large disparity in PHL-CLE Irish American population numbers (absolute).

ncflyer

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:32 am

I’m sure this has been written about on an LH thread— anyone know if they intend to operate the 321 NEO on translatlantic? And when do they come on line? I agree with the comments that it’s hard to find an airline with a suitable aircraft for something new. Looks like the 320neo, already in the Luft-Hansa fleet, is a tad out of range to fly to Frankfurt.

lakeeffect

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:25 pm

United loaded their Saturday seasonal non-stop CLE-CHS flight for 2018. They’ve really extended the season for it this year. Flights resume April 14th and continue through August 18th.

greenair727

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:33 pm

^Did they do this in 2017? I know in previous years they (or CO) have done this.

lakeeffect

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:36 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^Did they do this in 2017? I know in previous years they (or CO) have done this.

United has been operating this summer seasonal since the hub closure. Last summer it only operated mid June through August, so the season is twice as long this year.

joeman

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:22 pm

acentauri wrote:
CLEguy wrote:

PHL is a OW Hub. Further, EI has stated they are attempting to join the BA/AA Trans-Atlantic Joint Venture, which would likely lead them to eventually join OW (again). So any implication that since EI serves PHL, they should also serve CLE is a bit far reaching, ignoring the even large disparity in PHL-CLE Irish American population numbers (absolute).

Pretty sure the reference to EI serving "a secondary market in the US, BDL" was not an implication that since EI serves PHL, they should also serve CLE. However, EI is an interesting but unlikely candidate in my opinion.

cledaybuck

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

flymco753 wrote:

Isn't DL one of the US3?

flymco753

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:29 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

flymco753 wrote:

Isn't DL one of the US3?
Yes, AA, DL and UA.

Midwestindy

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:07 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
greenair727 wrote:

flymco753 wrote:

Isn't DL one of the US3?

*ME3

cledaybuck

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Isn't DL one of the US3?

*ME3
Ok, that makes more sense and is something I thoroughly agree with.

CLEguy

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:18 am

joeman wrote:
acentauri wrote:
CLEguy wrote:

Pretty sure the reference to EI serving "a secondary market in the US, BDL" was not an implication that since EI serves PHL, they should also serve CLE. However, EI is an interesting but unlikely candidate in my opinion.

Exactly my point! Thank you for interpreting my post correctly! :D

masseybrown

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm

UA has reduced CLE-BOS to two flights on weekdays through May, although June and out still shows three. Dummy booking or real schedule? I suspect they are fine tuning the hubs and will address things like CLE-BOS with whatever crew time and equipment is left. MKE is still listed also; I figured that would be gone by now.

cledaybuck

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm

masseybrown wrote:
MKE is still listed also; I figured that would be gone by now.
You and WN both.

greenair727

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 pm

OK, so what are our predictions for CLE for 2018? Food for thought:

1. Both WOW and FI do well on their KEF routes
2. DL begins SLC
3. WN begins MCI
4. UA holds on to all of its existing cities
5. DL (or KL) adds AMS for fall 2018
6. F9 SEA becomes year-round OR AS announces CLE-SEA
7. WN announces SAN for 2019

flight152

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 pm

masseybrown wrote:
UA has reduced CLE-BOS to two flights on weekdays through May, although June and out still shows three. Dummy booking or real schedule? I suspect they are fine tuning the hubs and will address things like CLE-BOS with whatever crew time and equipment is left. MKE is still listed also; I figured that would be gone by now.

What makes you think United will be the first to leave the market? From all accounts I’ve heard, the Southwest flights have had low load factors while the UA flights seem to be about where they were before WN came in the market.

greenair727

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:41 pm

^Do you mean B6? WN doesn't serve CLE-BOS.

Jshank83

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^Do you mean B6? WN doesn't serve CLE-BOS.

They are talking about CLE-MKE not BOS.

masseybrown

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Having already released October numbers, CLE updated their "Facts and Figures" website page to show traffic through September. The last update was June, so maybe they plan to do it quarterly. Extrapolating from Sept-Oct numbers based on prior years' data, it does appear that CLE will break 9 million passengers for 2017 with some room to spare. (Hope we don't have to wait until April to find out.)

cledaybuck

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:20 pm

greenair727 wrote:

1. Both WOW and FI do well on their KEF routes
2. DL begins SLC
3. WN begins MCI
4. UA holds on to all of its existing cities
5. DL (or KL) adds AMS for fall 2018
6. F9 SEA becomes year-round OR AS announces CLE-SEA

Those are some optimistic predictions. My thoughts
1. ok
2. Seems possible, but hasn't this route been talked about forever?
3. ok
4. I'm doubtful
5. If another transatlantic route get added to CLE, I doubt it is going to start in the fall
6. F9 going year round I highly doubt. AS maybe
7. I would be shocked.

lakeeffect

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:20 pm

masseybrown wrote:
Having already released October numbers, CLE updated their "Facts and Figures" website page to show traffic through September. The last update was June, so maybe they plan to do it quarterly. Extrapolating from Sept-Oct numbers based on prior years' data, it does appear that CLE will break 9 million passengers for 2017 with some room to spare. (Hope we don't have to wait until April to find out.)

Even if CLE saw zero growth in November and December, 2017 would have finished with about 9 million passengers. I'm guessing it will probably finish around 9.05 million (which would be more than in 2012 with the United hub).

Given how cold it's been, I'm guessing bookings to Florida are much higher than last winter, which I believe was one of the warmest on record for Cleveland. That should hopefully continue the growth through Spring, but it's going to be hard to make a dent in Frontier's large year over year capacity cuts beginning in May.

I don't have any bold predictions for 2018. I'm betting Frontier will continue to add/delete routes from CLE. Perhaps WN and DL will each add a new destination.

ncflyer

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:19 pm

My prediction is it will be an exceptionally boring year. Seems like NEO is at an equilibrium for air service. Great to be back to where we were but we don’t have a focus city big brother like RDU or STL or IND to get the airport to the next level. As I said earlier I can’t put much stock in a Crains prediction issue even if Joe Roman is a good source. It was thoroughly depressing to read NYT article a few days back on all this airport modernization going on around the country and seeing posts here about cle whoop-dee-doo in-line luggage system! So my hope is Kennedy will have wherewithal to announce master facility planning process to include what to do with D. If that happens it will be a good year for me.

CLEguy

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Looks like the Facts & Figures section of CLE's website got an overhaul. October figures are posted, as are links to monthly spreadsheets with "Passenger Volume Month over Month" listed for 2017. Wonder why international traffic is down -7.49% YTD. I'm sure there will be a significant uptick in 2018 with FL and WW starting service to KEF.

http://clevelandairport.com/about-us/facts-figures

masseybrown

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:43 pm

CLEguy wrote:
Looks like the Facts & Figures section of CLE's website got an overhaul. October figures are posted,

There goes my quarterly update theory. I think the cargo data are disappointing given the uptick in industrial activity.

lakeeffect

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:12 pm

CLEguy wrote:
Looks like the Facts & Figures section of CLE's website got an overhaul. October figures are posted, as are links to monthly spreadsheets with "Passenger Volume Month over Month" listed for 2017. Wonder why international traffic is down -7.49% YTD. I'm sure there will be a significant uptick in 2018 with FL and WW starting service to KEF.

There are few international flights at CLE which make the passenger numbers highly variable. For example, Frontier may have flown CLE-CUN 4x weekly one year and then 3x weekly the next year. That would equate to a sizeable drop in international traffic because the only flights that can offset that are the CRJs to Toronto and United’s Saturday only CUN service. The vast majority of passengers whose final destination is international from CLE aren’t actually boarding an international flight from CLE.

jplatts

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:09 pm

greenair727 wrote:
3. WN begins MCI

Southwest could add nonstop service to DAL from CLE since DAL is Southwest's home base, since Dallas is one of the top destinations from CLE, since CLE is one of the top destinations from Dallas without nonstop service out of DAL, and since AA is currently the only airline to have year-round nonstop service to DFW from CLE. Southwest had also recently stated that it wants to expand its dominance at Dallas Love Field.

In addition, Southwest had also recently stated that it is already considering serving HOU and FLL nonstop from CLE. Southwest would be able to connect passengers going to international destinations from CLE through HOU and FLL if Southwest adds nonstop service to HOU and FLL from CLE, and Southwest actually wants to expand internationally.

fun2fly

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:30 pm

swacle wrote:
DL to AMS is the only possibility that makes sense IMO. The others lack a suitable aircraft for the mission. While In would love to see a Lufty or KLM 330 in here, I don't see it happening, at least to start. A DL 752 to AMS is the answer and I would be shocked if it was anyone else.

With the statements made by Roman about onward 1 stop connections, I really has to be a European Mainland legacy carrier so your note on AMS, FRA, MUC is probably correct. I don't see a OW Hub outside of LHR that makes sense and "Mainland" kills that one. My money would have been on DUB on EI, but "Mainland" kills that one also.

Way back in the CO days in the CLE forum, there was a lot of chatter on adding CLE>AMS on a 757 and there were a few companies listed as "sponsors" as to why this would happen, approximately 1 year after CLE>CDG. One of the majors was Phillips who has a good size operation in CLE. It's probably the most accurate guess.

Any idea when we'll hear from CLE on this? I can't find a link to the Roman article in Crain's to see if there were more details listed.

fun2fly

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:25 pm

From Enrila's post: *UA IAH-CAK JUN 0>0.8 JUL 0>1.0 AUG 0>1.0 SEP 0>1.0

greenair727

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:18 pm

^Back in the hub days, did UA (or CO) have flights at CAK?

topbanana

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^Back in the hub days, did UA (or CO) have flights at CAK?

Continental Express operated the route at various times:

http://www.departedflights.com/COCLEhub.html

fun2fly

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Regarding CAK>IAH, I wonder what is prompting this? The CLE>IAH capacity has shrunk greatly in the past few years. On Feb 28 for example: CLE>IAH 4x ERJ and 1x73G. And no 6AM flight either. That's a huge decrease. Maybe siphon a few people from CAK they can't get to CLE?

greenair727

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 pm

^ and
jplatts wrote:
In addition, Southwest had also recently stated that it is already considering serving HOU and FLL nonstop from CLE.

If WN is going to being flying CLE-HOU, then UA would be wise to maximize their operations on CLE-IAH, and not dilute their potential by throwing an additional CLE frequency to CAK.

masseybrown

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:22 pm

DoT has released Oct, 17 data. Total 2017YTD domestic CLE traffic 7,339.4K at a load factor of 85.35%. This matches up well with the city's release, missing about 150K international and 100K charter pax which the city included..

Airline ... Boardings/LF for Oct '17 Boardings/LF for Oct '16
F9 ........ 45.7K/86.9% .................36.5K/88.0%
B6 ........ 11.8K/87.6% .................11.6K/87.6%
WN ....... 67.0K/87.6% ................57.8K/85.65%
NK ........ 32.7K/82.9 .................. 30.3K/86.0%

UA mainline boardings were 58.8K.

greenair727

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

^B6 is very steady and with good LF---I hope this persuades them to add JFK.

plinth857

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^ and
jplatts wrote:
In addition, Southwest had also recently stated that it is already considering serving HOU and FLL nonstop from CLE.

If WN is going to being flying CLE-HOU, then UA would be wise to maximize their operations on CLE-IAH, and not dilute their potential by throwing an additional CLE frequency to CAK.

It seems as if CLE-HOU and CLE-DAL have been talked about for quite some time for WN, and nothing has surfaced as of yet.

On the other hand, I'll be sampling Southwest's CLE-STL route soon - the last time I was on that route was on United via an ERJ-145. The bigger aircraft will be welcomed!

SgtBarone

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Those are very solid numbers. Impressive YOY growth for WN and F9.

F9Fan

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 am

I wonder if AF would consider CLE-CDG. It is barely in range of an A320neo (by about 200 km/100 nmi), AF could experiment with it using their Joon brand (although I think AF is convinced that they can make the Ted/Song model work in Europe).

Midwestindy

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

So for 2018 what new routes will F9 add out of CLE?
I noticed CLE-MIA was at 54.9%, and MIA-CLE was at 49.7%, will that route stick around? Or will a few of the ATL/IAH/SAN/SFO/LAX be added back?

I think CLE-SAT could work for one...

lakeeffect

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
So for 2018 what new routes will F9 add out of CLE?
I noticed CLE-MIA was at 54.9%, and MIA-CLE was at 49.7%, will that route stick around? Or will a few of the ATL/IAH/SAN/SFO/LAX be added back?

I think CLE-SAT could work for one...

F9 started a bunch of new MIA routes in October after the hurricane and most new routes had low loads. I’m sure they’ve improved quite a bit since then now that peak season is approaching.

I don’t see F9 adding much at CLE this year. The difficulty with having high density 230 seat aircraft is that’s a lot of seats to fill if it’s not a major destination. I think this is why F9 is now offering connections.

I think CLE’s best chance for stable growth is Southwest. It seems they are comfortable adding a few new routes each year.

fun2fly

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Might be an eventful day at the CLE OPS office with the icy weather and wind. Good luck to all travelers and employees.

It's awful late in the season, when do you think the TATL announcement will occur? Weird to put that in print in Crains but no announcement.

Separately, DL is matching FI rates to AMS in AUGUST for approx. $800 RT! That's a $300-500 discount of normal rates. WW/FI is putting a hurt on TATL yields at CLE.

greenair727

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 am

Lotta snow outside right now with blowing snow. But, per the FAA, CLE is on normal arrivals and normal departures (with exceptions for certain departures based on their current weather conditions at the arrival airport, such as BOS, YYZ, DCA, JFK, etc.) Looks like the operations folks at Hopkins are doing a great job!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos