Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fedex1

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2018

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:45 am

Wow!

flymco753

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:32 am

I really don't see TK going to IND any time soon, I don't think the market that TK serves is better served at IND as it would at a few other places in the Midwest.

zackary747

Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:31 am

flymco753 wrote:
I really don't see TK going to IND any time soon, I don't think the market that TK serves is better served at IND as it would at a few other places in the Midwest.

That's why MidwestIndy was referring to their star alliance partners, not TK themselves.

flymco753

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:34 pm

zackary747 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

That's why MidwestIndy was referring to their star alliance partners, not TK themselves.
Oh so we’re talking the possibility of Lufthansa?

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Big news of the day

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... l-nonstops
"Indiana Secretary of Commerce Jim Schellinger says the Paris nonstop could be joined by additional international destinations on future flight schedules. "We're working on one right now for Asia that we expect to be done by the end of the year," said Schellinger. "And after 2020, we’ll go back and look at Europe again."

"In addition to Asia, there is interest in potential nonstops to India and Germany. A nonstop to Asia makes sense, given the fact that more than 200 Japanese owned or affiliated companies are doing business in the state, including a major presence from automakers Subaru, Toyota and Honda. Emerging economies like India could be in play as well, with plans by companies like Infosys and Axiscades for major investment and new jobs in Indiana."

Guesses on which airline?

I'm going to guess DL, based on the fact that the Airport Director said that IND-CDG was the beginning of DL making IND a connecting point

ibthebigd

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:07 pm

I wonder who it would be?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fedex1

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 pm

I would have never guessed any of this! I am worried IND will be able to support the CDG flight.

So would I said WOULD this change deltas routes? Would they add more flights so they could have connections here to ASIA and other parts of Europe??

Indy

Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Wow. Asia this year seems very aggressive. I would imagine that route would be backed by cargo and a commitment by local business to buy a number of seats in the front.

kavok

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Asia does seem... ambitious. Europe is one thing, and TATL flights seem to come a dime a dozen these days. But there are much, much fewer TPAC flights from North America overall... so to land a TPAC seems to be a reach.

I would be very curious where they are trying to get a flight to. If it is again a DL/KE add, than obviously it would be to ICN which overflies Tokyo. It just seems hard to fathom there will be enough demand on O/D alone to fill a flight to ICN, even with onward connections.

SumChristianus

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Big news of the day

"Indiana Secretary of Commerce Jim Schellinger says the Paris nonstop could be joined by additional international destinations on future flight schedules. "We're working on one right now for Asia that we expect to be done by the end of the year," said Schellinger. "And after 2020, we’ll go back and look at Europe again."

"In addition to Asia, there is interest in potential nonstops to India and Germany. A nonstop to Asia makes sense, given the fact that more than 200 Japanese owned or affiliated companies are doing business in the state, including a major presence from automakers Subaru, Toyota and Honda. Emerging economies like India could be in play as well, with plans by companies like Infosys and Axiscades for major investment and new jobs in Indiana."

I'm going to guess DL, based on the fact that the Airport Director said that IND-CDG was the beginning of DL making IND a connecting point

I cannot believe that, really?
I think IND has only around 90 PDEW to Asia at present (supporting SFO overcapacity now through SFO connections) and assuming fully half of Asian passengers used a hypothetical nonstop (not sure over the benefit of connecting through NRT or ICN over SFO/LAX/DTW) AND 100% market stimulation that leaves still only 90 PDEW. (Enough to fill three flights a week?)
On another topic:
Could some sort of service to Indianapolis Metropolitan or Executive airports ever happen? If G4 weren't here yet, I'd think they would be looking at those with all the growth on the Indianapolis northside.

flymco753

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:22 pm

IND-Asia will an interesting development, as it would be virtually the first medium-sized market in the east to have scheduled nonstop service to Asia. Pitt doesn't count if they're getting charter service.

IndyHoosier

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Big news of the day

I find all of this extremely hard to believe. Hubs like PHL, CLT & SLT don't even have flights to Asia. The idea of a non-stop to India is completely laughable. The only US airline that flies to India is United and they only do so from EWR, with a massive Indian population nearby. The only other airline that flies to India from the US is Air India, and they only do so from United hubs.

LupineChemist

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm guessing it would have to be on a 788 for capacity so I doubt DL. Maybe JL with increased connections from AA?

SumChristianus

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Maybe they know something about Amazon....?
Mentioning Japan makes JL seem likely, but IND...? But NRT (and ICN) is a really small market from here, and JL has few onward connections compared to KE at ICN or ANA at NRT.

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:43 pm

IndyHoosier wrote:
I find all of this extremely hard to believe. Hubs like PHL, CLT & SLT don't even have flights to Asia. The idea of a non-stop to India is completely laughable. The only US airline that flies to India is United and they only do so from EWR, with a massive Indian population nearby. The only other airline that flies to India from the US is Air India, and they only do so from United hubs.

India is not happening, I think India was just mentioned because there have been some recent announcements amount large investments by Indian companies.

SumChristianus wrote:
Mentioning Japan makes JL seem likely, but IND...? But NRT (and ICN) is a really small market from here, and JL has few onward connections compared to KE at ICN or ANA at NRT.

LupineChemist wrote:
I'm guessing it would have to be on a 788 for capacity so I doubt DL. Maybe JL with increased connections from AA?

kavok wrote:
Asia does seem... ambitious. Europe is one thing, and TATL flights seem to come a dime a dozen these days. But there are much, much fewer TPAC flights from North America overall... so to land a TPAC seems to be a reach.

I would be very curious where they are trying to get a flight to. If it is again a DL/KE add, than obviously it would be to ICN which overflies Tokyo. It just seems hard to fathom there will be enough demand on O/D alone to fill a flight to ICN, even with onward connections.

Indy wrote:
Wow. Asia this year seems very aggressive. I would imagine that route would be backed by cargo and a commitment by local business to buy a number of seats in the front.

We will see what happens, but I would keep my ears close to the ground, considering how carefully IND is about releasing info about new flights/destinations

Some interesting things to keep in mind
-Gov Holcomb just got back from a trade mission in Japan late last year
-There would be no shortage of cargo for this flight
-Indiana is willing to pony up incentives for these flights
-The list of companies that could back a flight to Japan is enormous
-I would put faith in what Jim Schellinger says, considering he is part of the contingent that meets with airlines

stl07

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Is turkey part of Asia?

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:25 pm

stl07 wrote:
Is turkey part of Asia?

Europe and Asia, but mostly Asia

SumChristianus

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:11 pm

IND-MSP on June 11th, 1x CR9, 1x 717, 2x A319, 1x 320 (DL)
IND-PHL is 1x ERJ, 5x E75 the same day on American
IND-PHX is 2x 319 (AA)
IND-DTW is down to only one mainline, a B717 daily

ADrum23

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
IndyHoosier wrote:

India is not happening, I think India was just mentioned because there have been some recent announcements amount large investments by Indian companies.

SumChristianus wrote:

LupineChemist wrote:

kavok wrote:

Indy wrote:

We will see what happens, but I would keep my ears close to the ground, considering how carefully IND is about releasing info about new flights/destinations

Some interesting things to keep in mind
-Gov Holcomb just got back from a trade mission in Japan late last year
-There would be no shortage of cargo for this flight
-Indiana is willing to pony up incentives for these flights
-The list of companies that could back a flight to Japan is enormous
-I would put faith in what Jim Schellinger says, considering he is part of the contingent that meets with airlines

IND does have a good case for a TPAC flight, and it would be a nice alternative to flying or driving to ORD, but I would be surprised if any TPAC flight came before the 2020's. Also, IND will be competing with a handful of other mid-sized markets with Asian ambitions as well, such as AUS, RDU, BNA, etc.

The only thing I could see potentially hindering an IND TPAC flight is the close proximity to ORD. Sure, in the case of AUS and BNA, you could say the same thing as they are close to IAH/DFW and ATL respectively, but those airports are nowhere near ORD as far as TPAC service goes.

I'll be really interested to see how this all plays out over the next decade or so.

Midwestindy

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:03 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
IND-MSP on June 11th, 1x CR9, 1x 717, 2x A319, 1x 320 (DL)
IND-PHL is 1x ERJ, 5x E75 the same day on American
IND-PHX is 2x 319 (AA)
IND-DTW is down to only one mainline, a B717 daily

IND-DTW fluctuates a lot, it is 2x daily b717 just for June, but goes 1x B757 in July/August. There is a likely possibility that DL throws in an A319/A320 or B757 for June

SumChristianus

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:45 am

Do you think UA's IND-DEN is finalized for July? I'm hoping they move the morning flight back up to mainline....

Indy

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:25 am

ADrum23 wrote:
IND does have a good case for a TPAC flight, and it would be a nice alternative to flying or driving to ORD, but I would be surprised if any TPAC flight came before the 2020's. Also, IND will be competing with a handful of other mid-sized markets with Asian ambitions as well, such as AUS, RDU, BNA, etc.

The only thing I could see potentially hindering an IND TPAC flight is the close proximity to ORD. Sure, in the case of AUS and BNA, you could say the same thing as they are close to IAH/DFW and ATL respectively, but those airports are nowhere near ORD as far as TPAC service goes.

I'll be really interested to see how this all plays out over the next decade or so.

Honestly I don't think the proximity to ORD will be a factor at all. I believe this whole proximity to a hub thing is a limitation cooked up on this website. IND's proximity to CVG didn't stop DL from adding CDG service which is offered by them just 2 hours down the highway. The best reason to have the service in IND instead of flying through ORD is because who wants to fly through ORD? Nobody. The service is all about meeting local demand and ORD is completely irrelevant. If you think about it, people here had the option of flying to CDG out of CVG or ORD and they chose IND. Sales have been brisk and the route looks to be a huge success. I believe Asia will be a huge hit as well. I am just really surprised to see that it may be happening this fast. We are probably the best market of this size for the route.

zackary747

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:32 am

Indy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Honestly I don't think the proximity to ORD will be a factor at all. I believe this whole proximity to a hub thing is a limitation cooked up on this website. IND's proximity to CVG didn't stop DL from adding CDG service which is offered by them just 2 hours down the highway. The best reason to have the service in IND instead of flying through ORD is because who wants to fly through ORD? Nobody. The service is all about meeting local demand and ORD is completely irrelevant. If you think about it, people here had the option of flying to CDG out of CVG or ORD and they chose IND. Sales have been brisk and the route looks to be a huge success. I believe Asia will be a huge hit as well. I am just really surprised to see that it may be happening this fast. We are probably the best market of this size for the route.

I completely agree with you. It's NOT about the distance, but rather the economic impact and growth in that said market. Economic impact and growth is the main thing they look at and and Indy is growing really nicely. Especially with the state and city working closely together in the biggest collaboration I have ever seen. Other states would KILL to have the consolidation of having one big(ish) city in one state that works together like this... The collaboration is the best I have seen, and it is phenomenal. The distance excuse have been used for everything from SFO to CDG. It's just a illogical fallacy at this point. Economic growth is the factor, not distance........

fedex1

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:46 am

What are the loads on the CDG flight for the 1st couple of months of service? Anyone know? Or how could you find out?

flyboy80

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:53 am

Does the IND-CDG service still drop to 4x weekly for the entire fall, winter, and spring? I've heard that its gone between 4x and 5x. Perhaps its a mix of daily, 5x, & 4x depending on the season/month.

Indy

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:22 pm

flyboy80 wrote:
Does the IND-CDG service still drop to 4x weekly for the entire fall, winter, and spring? I've heard that its gone between 4x and 5x. Perhaps its a mix of daily, 5x, & 4x depending on the season/month.

It drops to 5x weekly for a brief period in October I believe. Other than that the route has been loaded as daily through the end of the schedule. Or at least it was like that as of maybe a week ago.

Indy

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:23 pm

fedex1 wrote:
What are the loads on the CDG flight for the 1st couple of months of service? Anyone know? Or how could you find out?

Don't know the exact number but I can tell you the route is selling exceptionally well.

fedex1

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:36 pm

That is great news Indy!

flyboy80

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:39 pm

I guess at some point I was under the impression the flight would be reduced to 4x weekly for a period, but no idea why I thought or heard that. Does anyone know how the Indianapolis planned frequency compares to other "p2p" markets Delta is serving CDG i.e. RDU & PIT; I believe RDU is year round but PIT is seasonal?

cvgComair

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:48 pm

flyboy80 wrote:
I guess at some point I was under the impression the flight would be reduced to 4x weekly for a period, but no idea why I thought or heard that. Does anyone know how the Indianapolis planned frequency compares to other "p2p" markets Delta is serving CDG i.e. RDU & PIT; I believe RDU is year round but PIT is seasonal?

RDU goes down to 6x/wk but is also downgraded to a 757 for the winter. PIT is seasonal and does not operate during the low season. IND is going to 5x/wk for early fall, but the Winter schedule is just filler at the moment. The less than daily service will be extended through late Feb for both IND/RDU-CDG.

ADrum23

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:05 am

Indy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Good points. I agree a mid-sized airport like IND would be much better to travel out of as opposed to O'Hare, and a TPAC flight will no doubt be successful when launched. The only thing I disagree with is your comment "We are probably the best market of this size for the route." I think AUS and RDU would beg to differ there. Those markets are much faster growing than IND (particularly AUS) and have much more business ties to Asia (particularly in the technology field). I predict AUS will be the first mid-sized market to get TPAC service, followed by RDU and then IND & BNA will be in the next tier down afterwards.

Midwestindy

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:55 am

ADrum23 wrote:
I think AUS and RDU would beg to differ there. Those markets are much faster growing than IND (particularly AUS) and have much more business ties to Asia (particularly in the technology field). I predict AUS will be the first mid-sized market to get TPAC service, followed by RDU and then IND & BNA will be in the next tier down afterwards.

I was kind of thinking that before, but what the Indiana Secretary of Commerce said: "We're working on one right now for Asia that we expect to be done by the end of the year" changes things up, especially since he and the governor recently came back from Japan, so they must be close to reaching a deal.

If its a flight to Japan, IND is at the front of the pack: https://www.in.gov/gov/files/Japan_2017 ... _Final.pdf

Don't get me wrong, BNA has a strong case, but I just haven't heard anything to suggest they are close to a n/s to Asia.

RDU is making a big push for a TPAC flight but it's Asia traffic leans toward China, I'm not sure on AUS.

ADrum23

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:44 am

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
I think AUS and RDU would beg to differ there. Those markets are much faster growing than IND (particularly AUS) and have much more business ties to Asia (particularly in the technology field). I predict AUS will be the first mid-sized market to get TPAC service, followed by RDU and then IND & BNA will be in the next tier down afterwards.

I was kind of thinking that before, but what the Indiana Secretary of Commerce said: "We're working on one right now for Asia that we expect to be done by the end of the year" changes things up, especially since he and the governor recently came back from Japan, so they must be close to reaching a deal.

If its a flight to Japan, IND is at the front of the pack: https://www.in.gov/gov/files/Japan_2017 ... _Final.pdf

Don't get me wrong, BNA has a strong case, but I just haven't heard anything to suggest they are close to a n/s to Asia.

RDU is making a big push for a TPAC flight but it's Asia traffic leans toward China, I'm not sure on AUS.

I still would be surprised if it happened before the 2020's, but with the world the way it is now, nothing is out of the question anymore. AUS and RDU will likely get flights to Korea and China respectively if I had to make a guess, when I say TPAC service, I mean anywhere in Asia.

It is IND and BNA that will likely be competing for Japan service to NRT. Though I will say that whoever gets it first, the other will likely follow suit soon after. BNA has consistently stated that it is pursuing the flight, but what exactly that means I have no idea. Right now, I don't have any hard numbers like the above pdf, but here are some articles that talk about Tennessee's business ties to Japan (aside for the obvious Nissan and Bridgestone). I might also add that the current US ambassador to Japan is a former businessman who hails from Nashville and is a Vanderbilt graduate, and he actually hosted a reception for Tennessee in Japan to which Governor Haslam and over 100 Japanese businesses attended.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/2018/03/29/opinion-leaving-tennessee-fond-memories-and-warmth-two-nations/462826002/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/2017/10/29/how-economic-ties-growing-between-tennessee-and-japan/106962474/

https://amview.japan.usembassy.gov/en/ambassador-hagerty-interview/

Who knows what will happen, but I'm really interested to see how this TPAC race plays out and if these IND rumors about new flights are true or if they are just political talk.

fedex1

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:11 am

Question : how big is the international arrivals in the midfield terminal? I flew CUN-IND at the old airport terminal, and we had to go over to the 1970’s building, dark dungy. . . Just curious. . . With almost daily IND-CDG, and possibly other routes in coming years. How does it compare, and size of old?
What about customs officers? More or same as 8 years ago.

Indy

Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 am

fedex1 wrote:
Question : how big is the international arrivals in the midfield terminal? I flew CUN-IND at the old airport terminal, and we had to go over to the 1970’s building, dark dungy. . . Just curious. . . With almost daily IND-CDG, and possibly other routes in coming years. How does it compare, and size of old?
What about customs officers? More or same as 8 years ago.

Here are the photos of international arrivals. As far as I know they are the only ones out there. These were taken during the open house. Those were taken by a blogger that goes by Arenn. They were shared with his permission. I'm glad he took the pics. By the time I got there for the tour the area had already been closed. Shame it was open for such a short period of time.

https://www.indairport.org/forums/5/1158/pg1/

fedex1

Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:31 am

It doesn’t look bigger at all!!! A hell of a lot nicer though I will say! Is that big enough for a wide body??? 767? Or this that a narrow?

What about future routes, that have room to expand?

Indy

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:05 am

I think the capacity was 400 passengers an hour. It might have been 300 but I'm leaning towards 400. In any case it is going to mean long waits when the Paris flight comes in. Especially when the flight is full and all of the stations aren't open.

fedex1

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:06 am

Ummmm that sucks for IND. . . Why would not all lanes be open? What about saturdays when Cancún flight comes in about the same time.........??

cvgComair

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:09 am

fedex1 wrote:
It doesn’t look bigger at all!!! A hell of a lot nicer though I will say! Is that big enough for a wide body??? 767? Or this that a narrow?

What about future routes, that have room to expand?

Yes, that customs area is more than big enough. I was in Detroit a few weeks ago and they had less than 10 stations open with multiple wide body flights coming in and it wasn't that bad. The limiting factor is always going to be the staff they can dedicate to IND for its amount of international flights. Even if there are multiple intl flights coming in at the same time, pretty hard to justify a lot of staff for the very short period of time. CVG usually has 4-7 booths open for the Paris flight and wait times are pretty much always under 10 min for US citizens. Sometimes wait times can reach 20 min when the flight is really full, but that is way better than the mess of ATL/ORD/NYC/etc.
Last edited by cvgComair on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Indy

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:28 am

I think the problem is going to be what looks like a terrible baggage claim design.

Midwestindy

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:00 am

Good news! Onejet apparently has some "exciting" announcements regarding IND coming up sometime this year!

Hopefully that means service to either, MEM, MKE, PVD, or BDL

zackary747

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:04 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Good news! Onejet apparently has some "exciting" announcements regarding IND coming up sometime this year!

Where did you hear this from?

zackary747

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:06 am

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/107094332 ... =nf_target

Have no idea how I missed that post.

Midwestindy

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:07 am

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/107094332 ... =nf_target

fedex1

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:29 am

I don’t have Facebook. So will someone tell me what the article says!

Indy

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:04 am

Midwestindy wrote:

I have a hard time taking the seriously.

ibthebigd

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Not really they already struggled once.

Be nice if Southwest would add BNA MKE and STL. I know that would never happen

CLE has BDL service on DL be nice if they would resume BDL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fedex1

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Does any one get excited about Onejet?

jplatts

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:43 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
Be nice if Southwest would add BNA MKE and STL. I know that would never happen

WN did serve STL nonstop from IND in the past, and WN would also be able to connect passengers to DSM, LIT, TUL, and ICT from IND through STL if WN brought back IND-STL nonstop service.

MKE is probably too close to IND for WN to serve MKE nonstop from IND, and WN does not need to send connecting traffic from IND through MKE since WN can already connect passengers to destinations further west from IND through MDW, MCI, DEN, DAL, HOU, PHX, and LAS.

There are some travelers who want WN to add IND-BNA nonstop service, and BNA is far enough from IND for WN to possibly consider adding IND-BNA nonstop service. WN would also be able to connect passengers to CHS, CLT, JAX, ECP, PNS, and RDU from IND through BNA if WN adds BNA-IND nonstop service. BNA is also further from IND than STL and MKE are, and BNA is also a much bigger WN station than MKE is.

ibthebigd wrote:
CLE has BDL service on DL be nice if they would resume BDL.

I agree that DL could possibly add IND-BDL nonstop if there is enough demand for IND-BDL nonstop service.

stl07

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Yea STL isn't being added because they already said Memphis - STL is too short and Ind-STL is shorter I think

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos