Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SmithAir747

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu May 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Indiana is my native state (and I grew up there until moving to London in 2004), so I still keep an eye on events happening at home even though I live in Colorado now.

It's great to see that IND has evolved to the point where there now will be a scheduled intercontinental flight for the first time (inaugurating tonight). I wish I could be there to experience it. If I were still living there, I might have booked myself on the inaugural CDG flight. I hope IND eventually gets more intercontinental flights (transatlantic, and eventually, transpacific)--especially London.

SmithAir747

stlgph

Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm in NYC but if I had the chance, I'd come to IND and fly off to CDG for shits and giggles.

stlgph

Thu May 24, 2018 10:06 pm

For those taking this flight, be curious if you get a chance to ask the crew how they come in. Will they fly say other BASE--CDG--IND--CDG--BASE and make it a 4/5 day trip or will they deadhead in and out?

indygs

Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 pm

ON board DL500! Great send off with pace cars and all. Crew in the pit are ATL based, MSP in the back. Kudos, Delta and IND!

Indy

Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 pm

I was surprised there wasn't a water cannon salute. Will have video later. Just got home and I am wiped out. :-)

Indy

Fri May 25, 2018 2:24 am

Here is the video of the first IND-CDG departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HvGFBMfOh8

Midwestindy

Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 am

Indy wrote:

Great video btw

Found this link interesting: http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/cl ... ice-begins
-Apparently, this flight was only in the works for only around a year, quite surprising it came together so quickly
-Also, Bob Cortelyou talked about how IND is an important market for DL and an important part of its network, he expressed that they want to continue to maintain and grow their position in IND to become the airline of choice

indygs

Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 am

Couple other quick tidbits from a conversation with Bob post-flight:

-London was clearly top European market for IND however O&D traffic for Paris is quite strong and onward connections on AF are many.

-Amsterdam was evaluated but too few connections to India and other markets further Eastward so CDG made the most sense.

-DL, as stated above, excited to keep growing at IND.

Seems like the crew deadheads to IND from MSP then has a six day turn where they do IND-CDG-IND-CDG-MSP, at least to start. Not sure about cockpit crew as they were ATL based.

Flight was on time and not really all that eventful. Hoosiers tend to be good, it seems, at keeping lavs in clean order and less messy than most for extended periods of time. AVOD struggled a bit at the beginning and a couple system restarts later things seemed to be humming. Some timid claps dotted the cabin upon landing, which as someone who travels to places where this is normal practice, I enjoyed. All the cabin pillows and blankets were new but other than that if you didn't know it, you would have thought you were on any old flight hopping the pond.

Cool to see Indianapolis on the departure board sandwiched in between New York and Hong Kong here in Paris.

Midwestindy

Fri May 25, 2018 12:36 pm

From across the atlantic

stlgph

Fri May 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Indy wrote:

Did you take that or just find it? Good catch. Interesting they went all the way around the field and took from the other runway.

Indy

Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 pm

stlgph wrote:
Did you take that or just find it? Good catch. Interesting they went all the way around the field and took from the other runway.

I took that. I wish they would have used 5R. It would have been so much better.

COSPN

Fri May 25, 2018 2:03 pm

They used the 11,800 runway .. SOP for an international pax flight “longest runway available “

stlgph

Fri May 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Indy wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I took that. I wish they would have used 5R. It would have been so much better.

well yeah! you were in a prime spot if that was the case! i noticed other people on the parking ramp watching the departure, too ... were quite a number of other people stopping and looking?

Indy

Fri May 25, 2018 2:06 pm

stlgph wrote:
well yeah! you were in a prime spot if that was the case! i noticed other people on the parking ramp watching the departure, too ... were quite a number of other people stopping and looking?

The ones on the parking ramp were actually from our group. They went down there for a better view. When the CDG flight departed, I would guess there were maybe a couple dozen people on the garage watching the flight. I might be a little off on the count.

Midwestindy

Fri May 25, 2018 2:23 pm

indygs wrote:
Couple other quick tidbits from a conversation with Bob post-flight:

-London was clearly top European market for IND however O&D traffic for Paris is quite strong and onward connections on AF are many.

-Amsterdam was evaluated but too few connections to India and other markets further Eastward so CDG made the most sense.

-DL, as stated above, excited to keep growing at IND.

Glad they seem anxious to grow in Indy, I think the ultimate goal is to catch WN but they've got a lot of work to do. The CDG flight should help win over many flyers though. And, I wouldn't be surprised to see some more growth by April of next year.

ADrum23

Fri May 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Could we see a DL focus city in IND? Or will the close proximity to both CVG and DTW prevent that?

I don’t see why they couldn’t though.....

Midwestindy

Fri May 25, 2018 2:42 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Could we see a DL focus city in IND? Or will the close proximity to both CVG and DTW prevent that?

Maybe not a full-blown focus city but maybe a MCO type operation. They plan on sending more connections through IND, and making IND somewhat of a "connecting point" (whatever that means). There is also a possibility of flights to TPA/AUS/BDL/e.t.c so we will see what happens

beerbus

Fri May 25, 2018 2:42 pm

indygs wrote:
Seems like the crew deadheads to IND from MSP then has a six day turn where they do IND-CDG-IND-CDG-MSP, at least to start. Not sure about cockpit crew as they were ATL based.

DL will open a 3 month temporary IND Flight Attendant crew base effective 01 June. IND based Cabin crews will fly IND CDG IND turns.

Base is staffed with DL F/A's who live in Central Indiana, that normally commute to other DL Hub's, particularly DTW.

DL has also staffed their PIT CDG flight in a similar fashion.

stlgph

Fri May 25, 2018 2:43 pm

That's interesting.

ibthebigd

Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Speaking of crew bases does Republic have any crew bases at IND for any of there airlines?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ibthebigd

Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Speaking of crew bases does Republic have any crew bases at IND for any of there airlines?

Midwestindy

Fri May 25, 2018 2:47 pm

beerbus wrote:
indygs wrote:

DL will open a 3 month temporary IND Flight Attendant crew base effective 01 June. IND based Cabin crews will fly IND CDG IND turns.

Base is staffed with DL F/A's who live in Central Indiana, that normally commute to other DL Hub's, particularly DTW.

DL has also staffed their PIT CDG flight in a similar fashion.

Where did you hear this?

And is it just for the summer daily season?

stlgph

Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm

ibthebigd wrote:

I've had a few Republican flights into Indianapolis with the crew saying they were Indy-based, on both Delta and American.

Midwestindy

Fri May 25, 2018 2:59 pm

ibthebigd wrote:

ATAIndy

Fri May 25, 2018 4:41 pm

COSPN wrote:
They used the 11,800 runway .. SOP for an international pax flight “longest runway available “

TW C is also closed currently between the terminal and 5R. ATC has been routing flights over to 5L to avoid a runway crossing when the 5's are in use during the closure.

COSPN

Fri May 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Yes the headquarters and a crew base for Republic are in IND

COSPN

Fri May 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Wow that DL temp IND FA base will be super senior

ADrum23

Fri May 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Maybe not a full-blown focus city but maybe a MCO type operation. They plan on sending more connections through IND, and making IND somewhat of a "connecting point" (whatever that means). There is also a possibility of flights to TPA/AUS/BDL/e.t.c so we will see what happens

What is MCO’s role in DL’s network anyway?

I don’t see why IND couldn’t become something like RDU, with connection flights from the surrounding markets to feed IND.

ibthebigd

Fri May 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Northwest seemed to be successful with the focus city at IND

beerbus

Fri May 25, 2018 7:48 pm

indygs wrote:

Where did you hear this?

And is it just for the summer daily season?

I have DL Flight Attendant friends, living in central Indiana, who will be temporarily based in IND this summer. They are flying the new IND CDG flight on a round-trip pattern.

This is a temporary base, open 01 JUN - 31 AUG only at this time.

They are happy to not be commuting to DTW this summer for work.

indygs

Fri May 25, 2018 9:57 pm

DL501’s crew today was ATL based. They’ll take the flight back tomorrow, Saturday night. They did mention what’s been said here, IND will be a temp base for the summer while the flight runs daily.

Was impressed with the loads on the return. Right behind me in C was a Cummins employee returning from JNB and another businessman from DEL connected in IND. Some open seats, yes, but I’ve seen far worse.

Upon arriving, there were several IND staff handing out the pins and tags available for the outbound. Upon being ID’ed as the one who was on both flights I told them I was happy to wave to DTW from afar, happy to skip that spot. Interestingly a gentleman said they’ve “got more that we are working on that we hope you hear of soon.” So there must be some truth to the rumblings of additional, significant service announcements.

I will say I was disappointed that no water cannons greeted the flight. We landed on 23L so the taxi was short and aside from a fire truck parked near the gate, there was nothing. Especially given the governor’s presence and what not, just wish they would have given the flight a proper salute upon arrival!

All told, great work, and I think a new dawn for IND.

Indy

Fri May 25, 2018 10:03 pm

indygs wrote:
DL501’s crew today was ATL based. They’ll take the flight back tomorrow, Saturday night. They did mention what’s been said here, IND will be a temp base for the summer while the flight runs daily.

Was impressed with the loads on the return. Right behind me in C was a Cummins employee returning from JNB and another businessman from DEL connected in IND. Some open seats, yes, but I’ve seen far worse.

Upon arriving, there were several IND staff handing out the pins and tags available for the outbound. Upon being ID’ed as the one who was on both flights I told them I was happy to wave to DTW from afar, happy to skip that spot. Interestingly a gentleman said they’ve “got more that we are working on that we hope you hear of soon.” So there must be some truth to the rumblings of additional, significant service announcements.

I will say I was disappointed that no water cannons greeted the flight. We landed on 23L so the taxi was short and aside from a fire truck parked near the gate, there was nothing. Especially given the governor’s presence and what not, just wish they would have given the flight a proper salute upon arrival!

All told, great work, and I think a new dawn for IND.

So you just went there and back? Must be a lot easier up front :-) Was the person you were talking to from Delta or from the IAA?

indygs

Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Yes, rode DL500 and DL501 on their maiden voyages. As I told my wife, I was apparently the only idiot who thought that would be cool.

Guy I had that brief interaction with was IAA.

Indy

Fri May 25, 2018 10:10 pm

indygs wrote:
Yes, rode DL500 and DL501 on their maiden voyages. As I told my wife, I was apparently the only idiot who thought that would be cool.

Guy I had that brief interaction with was IAA.

If I could have afforded to fly up front like that, I would have joined you. You aren't the only idiot. You are the only one that managed to get tickets lol. :-D

IAA is working on Asia. I hope they are talking about that. Supposedly a deal will be reached by the end of the year. Hopefully with Delta.

stlgph

Fri May 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Curious - how was the customs experience?

Indy

Fri May 25, 2018 10:12 pm

stlgph wrote:
Curious - how was the customs experience?

Yes! That. I completely forgot about that.

indygs

Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 pm

A breeze, but I was literally the first person through b/c of Global Entry and being in C class. That said, while nice and new, with super friendly agents BTW, that is not a huge processing area. There was a bit of confusion on the exit but that’s just putting up a sign and it’s solved. Great for one flight at a time but the real judges will be those in the back of coach who’ll need to line up for a real, live agent.

Indy

Fri May 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Honestly.... from the photos I saw online from the open house, the area looks very poorly designed. Just too cramped and the baggage claim looked the worst. I think these are glaring issues that nobody really notices with the smaller Saturday flights from Cancun. But the CDG flight will begin to expose the problem.

ADrum23

Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Indy wrote:
Honestly.... from the photos I saw online from the open house, the area looks very poorly designed. Just too cramped and the baggage claim looked the worst. I think these are glaring issues that nobody really notices with the smaller Saturday flights from Cancun. But the CDG flight will begin to expose the problem.

What is the current processing capability of the customs area and does IND have plans to improve/expand it?

fedex1

Sat May 26, 2018 12:20 am

Wow!!! It’s great to see a inbound Paris flight on such a sad somber day, for the north suburb. I hope this flight is ONLY the beginning of huge things to come for the city of Indianapolis, and it’s metro, with the airport! I flew Delta when I fly. . . Would love to see them truly start competing here in IND like Northwest did!
Kudos to Delta!

Midwestindy

Sat May 26, 2018 3:40 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

What is MCO’s role in DL’s network anyway?

I don’t see why IND couldn’t become something like RDU, with connection flights from the surrounding markets to feed IND.

MCO has a lot of p2p flights, but not a lot of connections. I feel like it will be hard for DL to get over 50 departures per day from IND, and RDU is close to or above 70 flights per day.

Indy wrote:

The CUN flights are probably pretty good preparation for the CDG flight. DL has been running the 180 seat 739 on the route which is pretty close to the 211/226 seat 767s used on the CDG flight.

Tomorrow should be a big test for the customs facilities, the WN flight and DL flight arrive at almost the exact same time.....

On another note, I had a chance to walk through the DL gates and here are a few things I took in:
- Most gate seating at A3/A4/A5 has been replaced with nice padded seating almost like the seating in the skyclub which is a nice feature(I wonder if DL brought in furniture for the gate). Great for those F9 pax who get to use those comfortable seats even when not flying TATL.
- Skyclub was fairly busy at around 4pm when I came through
- Delta has hired more international and bilingual gate agents
- Walking through security I saw 5 French passports
-Quite sad that the terrible shooting affected the festivities, but I think the Gov handled it well

zackary747

Sat May 26, 2018 5:27 am

My friend and I met Mario Rodriguez today. Really nice, down to earth type of guy. I did ask him two questions and I shall relay those answers.

Question 1: Are we going to get a low cost trans-Atlantic carrier?

Response: "We are, stay tuned"

Question 2: Are we getting JetBlue?

Response: "We've been talking to them, we are, stay tuned."

Midwestindy

Sat May 26, 2018 12:18 pm

zackary747 wrote:
My friend and I met Mario Rodriguez today. Really nice, down to earth type of guy. I did ask him two questions and I shall relay those answers.

Question 2: Are we getting JetBlue?

Response: "We've been talking to them, we are, stay tuned."

Definitely encouraging although I wish he would have given some sort of timeline

fedex1

Sat May 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Why will it be hard for Delta to get over 50 daily departures ? RDU has 70?

Indy

Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm

fedex1 wrote:

I don't think it will be hard for Delta to get over 50. I suspect we need to wait for the C-Series planes to be delivered.

Midwestindy

Sat May 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Indy wrote:
fedex1 wrote:

I don't think it will be hard for Delta to get over 50. I suspect we need to wait for the C-Series planes to be delivered.

My point is that there aren’t that many n/s destinations left that would be profitable on DL. Eventually though there could be a critical mass of connections that could make some flights more viable.

Indy

Sat May 26, 2018 1:29 pm

How many flights a day is DL at now? Or how many will they be at this summer?

Midwestindy

Sat May 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Indy wrote:
How many flights a day is DL at now? Or how many will they be at this summer?

~40 departures

Indy

Sat May 26, 2018 1:51 pm

zackary747 wrote:

That leads me to believe something is coming. The smartest addition would be Condor (DE) to FRA.

fedex1

Sat May 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Do we ( IND ) really want a low cost WOW air ? Will that hurt the Delta flight?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos