Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zackary747

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
fedex1 wrote:
Obviously something is filling the belly, and it isn’t just cargo, so obviously it isn’t so large that GE is only using Fedex, for the CDG flight, in which Fedex flights nightly. I would say there is plenty of cargo filling the 767 pax flight. I worked at Fedex, back in 2003-06 and a lot has changed since then, but I was on the flight crew. We had CDG then. I am sure GE is onboard in the belly of Delta CDG flight. I’m sure someone knows more . What’s making the flight profitable?? Besides the subsidies. Obviously.

I took the IND-CDG flight a while back and I saw a large amount of cargo loaded onto the plane. I couldn't tell what was being loaded since it was covered under some kind of tarp, but there were around 8-12 people working around it so I assume it was something(s) that was important.

Assuming the cargo was large and wide it could of been the cargo from GE.

Midwestindy

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Just some food for thought:
https://www.oag.com/hubfs/Free_Reports/ ... 8ee2b0afdc
OAG identified CVG, PIT(just got service), STL, and IND as US markets that could receive service to LHR due to proven demand to London

fedex1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:16 pm

So the runway might be built by 2027. . . I would think that service would hurt Delta CDG flight for sure. ☹️

Midwestindy

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:06 pm

fedex1 wrote:
So the runway might be built by 2027. . . I would think that service would hurt Delta CDG flight for sure. ☹️

Yeah, but the London market is significantly more important to the IND business community, and represents almost a quarter of the IND-EU market. Salesforce, Eli Lilly, Cummins, Rolls-Royce, e.t.c have significant operations in the area so a nonstop to LHR is much more important than a flight to CDG.

fedex1

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:51 am

Then why in the world did BA not come when the state / airport was giving a incentive when Delta took the chance. Hell PIT has what (4) markets? The logic isn’t making sense to me, if there was that much demand, why did BA jump on the chance backed by a (2) year deal? I once again know nothing. Thank you Delta for giving IND a shot?

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:35 am

fedex1 wrote:
Then why in the world did BA not come when the state / airport was giving a incentive when Delta took the chance. Hell PIT has what (4) markets? The logic isn’t making sense to me, if there was that much demand, why did BA jump on the chance backed by a (2) year deal? I once again know nothing. Thank you Delta for giving IND a shot?

I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, but my guess is that DL tried to work out a deal before BA hopped in the market. DL's goal is to try and be the #1 carrier out of IND, if BA would have added IND-LHR first it would have been hard for DL to lock up the market. DL adding IND-CDG plus increased service to major business markets JFK, ATL, SEA, e.t.c gives DL a significant advantage over AA, and is what allows DL to keep a premium to most major markets from IND.

Indy

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:52 am

BA on IND-LHR is probably going to happen sooner rather than later. I doubt we have to wait to 2026 or 2027. Give it a couple of years.

ibthebigd

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 am

IND-SAN on Frontier starts today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jplatts

Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
fedex1 wrote:

I have no idea what went on behind the scenes, but my guess is that DL tried to work out a deal before BA hopped in the market. DL's goal is to try and be the #1 carrier out of IND, if BA would have added IND-LHR first it would have been hard for DL to lock up the market. DL adding IND-CDG plus increased service to major business markets JFK, ATL, SEA, e.t.c gives DL a significant advantage over AA, and is what allows DL to keep a premium to most major markets from IND.

CVG is the only DL hub or focus city airport that isn't currently served nonstop from IND, but IND is too close to CVG for DL to continue serving CVG nonstop from IND. DL has also significantly downsized its CVG operation since the DL-NW merger.

There are some East Coast destinations such as BWI, CLT, FLL, RSW, BDL, EWR, PHL, TPA, and DCA that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from IND and that are still served nonstop from CVG on DL. However, IND already has nonstop service to BWI, CLT, FLL, RSW, EWR, PHL, TPA, and DCA on other airlines, and BDL is currently the only destination with nonstop service out of CVG on DL that isn't currently served nonstop from IND on any airline. EWR is also in the same market as DL's LGA and JFK hubs, and DL already serves both LGA and JFK nonstop from IND.

While DL doesn't serve BWI, CLT, FLL, RSW, BDL, EWR, PHL, TPA, and DCA nonstop from IND, DL can connect passengers to these destinations from IND through its DTW or ATL hubs.

Will DL add nonstop service to additional East Coast destinations such as BWI, CLT, BDL, PHL, and DCA out of IND in the near future?

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:15 pm

jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
fedex1 wrote:

CVG is the only DL hub or focus city airport that isn't currently served nonstop from IND, but IND is too close to CVG for DL to continue serving CVG nonstop from IND. DL has also significantly downsized its CVG operation since the DL-NW merger.

There are some East Coast destinations such as BWI, CLT, FLL, RSW, BDL, EWR, PHL, TPA, and DCA that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from IND and that are still served nonstop from CVG on DL. However, IND already has nonstop service to BWI, CLT, FLL, RSW, EWR, PHL, TPA, and DCA on other airlines, and BDL is currently the only destination with nonstop service out of CVG on DL that isn't currently served nonstop from IND on any airline. EWR is also in the same market as DL's LGA and JFK hubs, and DL already serves both LGA and JFK nonstop from IND.

While DL doesn't serve BWI, CLT, FLL, RSW, BDL, EWR, PHL, TPA, and DCA nonstop from IND, DL can connect passengers to these destinations from IND through its DTW or ATL hubs.

Will DL add nonstop service to additional East Coast destinations such as BWI, CLT, BDL, PHL, and DCA out of IND in the near future?

DL already serves RSW from IND. However, don't be surprised if DL adds a couple of those routes mentioned above

ADrum23

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

DL already serves RSW from IND. However, don't be surprised if DL adds a couple of those routes mentioned above

I'd like to know what DL's long term plan is for IND, if they have any. On paper, IND is a prime candidate for a focus city operation, but nearby CVG already is one, and even though DL is very profitable, they can't spread their resources too thin.

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I'd like to know what DL's long term plan is for IND, if they have any. On paper, IND is a prime candidate for a focus city operation, but nearby CVG already is one, and even though DL is very profitable, they can't spread their resources too thin.

Without specifics, continued growth for the next 2 years including new destinations, upguaging, and some A220 flying.

ADrum23

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Without specifics, continued growth for the next 2 years including new destinations, upguaging, and some A220 flying.

But is a formal focus city designation in the future?

ibthebigd

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Hope some A220 flying is to the west coast

SAN
PDX
2X SEA
2X LAX
LAS
SJC

zackary747

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:47 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
Hope some A220 flying is to the west coast

SAN
PDX
2X SEA
2X LAX
LAS
SJC

I'd rather keep the SEA 1x. I don't wanna scare off Alaska.

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

But is a formal focus city designation in the future?

No idea whether they will officially call it a focus city.

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Anyone find it interesting that Delta is a member and sponsor of the Japan-America Society of Indiana?
http://www.japanindiana.org/english/mem ... _list.html
http://www.japanindiana.org/english/pro ... assic.html

What's more interesting is that the JASI helped DL get the MSP-HND route a couple years back after they wrote to the DOT about how important the MSP-NRT was to the Japanese companies in Indiana.

When looking at connections on to the MSP-HND route, IND provides the second most connecting passengers from the central US. Slightly below DTW but above CMH, ATL, BNA, CVG, and MCI. Furthermore, HND-IND demand grew significantly YOY from May 17 to May 18, and will likely continue to grow with the increase in investment coming from Japan.

I think if DL could offer this service 2-3x weekly during the summer, it could be profitable if they get the support from Subaru, Toyota Motor, Toyota Industries, e.t.c. I don't see Oneworld or Star flying to Asia with ORD so close. Hopefully there is an announcement by the end of the year: http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... l-nonstops

ibthebigd

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Wouldn't an A330 be to big and the 767 would be stretching its range?

Delta dropped the ball on the 787

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:47 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
Wouldn't an A330 be to big and the 767 would be stretching its range?

Delta dropped the ball on the 787

The A332 would probably have the range and is similar seating capacity to DL's 767ER

GSOtoIND

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.planetbids.com/portal/portal.cfm?CompanyID=32621

It looks like a parking garage expansion is in the works, not sure how large the expansion will be though. I mostly take Lyft to the airport, but when I drive I don't usually have trouble finding parking.

Also I don't think there is room to expand the parking garage unless they build up

It's really common for the garage to fill up during peak travel periods. In fact, a few times this year, I've seen it fill up even on non-peak travel days (I work on site). A garage expansion is desperately needed.

If they don't build up, they could easily put a parking deck between the current one and the park & walk/employee lot The way the ramps on that side of the garage are set up, it would be fairly easy to combine the entrances to each as just a left turn or right turn at the locations where there are entrances to the current garage.

They've needed more garage space for a while now. It fills up on most Wednesdays, particularly as it gets closer to winter. The park & walk lot was a band-aid fix. Regardless, there's a lot of things going on in the garage this summer. They're doing expansion joint replacements right now, as well as some extended maintenance on the elevators. They also appear to be doing something to the 3rd floor moving walkways that have seemingly been broken since the airport opened. Dension took over the valet parking contract on June 1st, so that's another new change. I heard the garage expansion and hotel will be done by 2022.

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:16 pm

GSOtoIND wrote:
floridaflyboy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.planetbids.com/portal/portal.cfm?CompanyID=32621

It looks like a parking garage expansion is in the works, not sure how large the expansion will be though. I mostly take Lyft to the airport, but when I drive I don't usually have trouble finding parking.

Also I don't think there is room to expand the parking garage unless they build up

It's really common for the garage to fill up during peak travel periods. In fact, a few times this year, I've seen it fill up even on non-peak travel days (I work on site). A garage expansion is desperately needed.

If they don't build up, they could easily put a parking deck between the current one and the park & walk/employee lot The way the ramps on that side of the garage are set up, it would be fairly easy to combine the entrances to each as just a left turn or right turn at the locations where there are entrances to the current garage.

They've needed more garage space for a while now. It fills up on most Wednesdays, particularly as it gets closer to winter. The park & walk lot was a band-aid fix. Regardless, there's a lot of things going on in the garage this summer. They're doing expansion joint replacements right now, as well as some extended maintenance on the elevators. They also appear to be doing something to the 3rd floor moving walkways that have seemingly been broken since the airport opened. Dension took over the valet parking contract on June 1st, so that's another new change. I heard the garage expansion and hotel will be done by 2022.

Any idea what the garage expansion will entail? more floors/levels?

Welcome to a.net by the way!

ibthebigd

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Any word on a rental car facility to free up garage space?

fedex1

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:52 am

If IND is the 2nd most filling a plane out of MSP why in the world would that only equate to a 2-3 times summer service weekly? And not maybe a 2 time year round service from IND??? Would that hurt MSP way to much? Doesn’t look seasonal if companies are supporting the flight. Maybe I completely read MidWest wrong.

GSOtoIND

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:11 am

Midwestindy wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:
floridaflyboy wrote:

My best guess is that they'd keep the existing helixes and access roads and expand the garage into the space between the existing garage and the employee lot. I don't think the existing garage pillars were designed to support extra floors. I think they're better off putting the hotel in the employee lot between the garage and the tower. The lot is unnecessarily large as-is.
Has anyone ever been to an IAA board meeting? I believe there's one this week or next and they're open to the public.

GSOtoIND

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 am

ibthebigd wrote:

What we have now is the rental car facility. The contracts are up in a few months, so I suppose now would be the time to plan any changes. (The next 6 months could be interesting, as all the initial contracts for the midfield terminal had 10-year terms, so we could see some gate changes as well.)

Indy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:23 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
Has anyone ever been to an IAA board meeting? I believe there's one this week or next and they're open to the public.

I've never been but I've always wanted to go.

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:51 am

GSOtoIND wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
GSOtoIND wrote:

My best guess is that they'd keep the existing helixes and access roads and expand the garage into the space between the existing garage and the employee lot. I don't think the existing garage pillars were designed to support extra floors. I think they're better off putting the hotel in the employee lot between the garage and the tower. The lot is unnecessarily large as-is.

I spoke to one of the architects for the garage last week, and he said that the garage could support extra floors however adding floors to the existing garage would be unlikely. He said when they were designing the garage initially, they weren't imagining it needing to be expanded anytime in the near future.

Unfortunately I am usually out of town on the Fridays they have the board meetings, but I would think that the board meetings provide some pretty good insight and opportunities to raise questions.

GSOtoIND wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

What we have now is the rental car facility. The contracts are up in a few months, so I suppose now would be the time to plan any changes. (The next 6 months could be interesting, as all the initial contracts for the midfield terminal had 10-year terms, so we could see some gate changes as well.)

Yep, the airport could technically extend the current airline use agreement but it appears they won't be doing that. Wouldn't surprise me if DL lost a gate and WN and/or UA gain a gate. DL could run its current operation with 8-9 gates instead of 11, while WN usually remotely parks a lot of aircraft as they don't have a lot of extra gate space in the morning. However with IND-EWR gone, IND-BOS shrunk, and earlier flight times they will have more space in the morning. Although, I doubt DL loses anything considering they are growing, and the IAA has had a weird crush on DL/NW for a while now

flyPIT

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:05 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Just some food for thought:
https://www.oag.com/hubfs/Free_Reports/ ... 8ee2b0afdc
OAG identified CVG, PIT(just got service), STL, and IND as US markets that could receive service to LHR due to proven demand to London

Interesting they included ANC, 5x weekly.

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:02 pm

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/201 ... 987328002/
Airport is teasing again:
But Mario Rodriguez, executive director of the Indianapolis Airport Authority, said airport leaders don't intend to rest on the laurels of a second quarter that added three new nonstop destinations, including the first nonstop transatlantic flight to Paris.

Instead, he urged riders to be on the lookout for new flight announcements and an ongoing effort to the make the Indianapolis airport the best place to have a layover.

"We just announced a new nonstop to San Diego. We are also looking at points down south to Mexico, and we’re also looking overseas into Europe a little bit more, so you probably will see a little bit more coming either towards the end of the year or the beginning of next year," he told IndyStar. "I am very confident that we’re going to have new, upcoming announcements pretty soon that will be very, very intriguing."

"Rodriguez said the Indianapolis Airport Authority is working stay one step ahead of the competition by undergoing a update of the terminal that will make it a more comfortable place to spend time."

"Although it’s only a decade old, we are going to have a refresh of our concessions and a refresh of the look and the feel that has already started," he said. "When you go to the end of the concourses, you are going to find more lounge seating like you get in a resort hotel. Every seat practically is going to have power pretty soon. It'll take a little bit of time to put them in, but we're putting them in slowly."

Sounds like more connections through IND

https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... EBSITE.pdf
Lots of interesting stuff will be happening in the board meeting

zackary747

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018/08/15/indianapolis-airport-teases-new-european-flights-rider-numbers-soar/987328002/
But Mario Rodriguez, executive director of the Indianapolis Airport Authority, said airport leaders don't intend to rest on the laurels of a second quarter that added three new nonstop destinations, including the first nonstop transatlantic flight to Paris.

Instead, he urged riders to be on the lookout for new flight announcements and an ongoing effort to the make the Indianapolis airport the best place to have a layover.

"We just announced a new nonstop to San Diego. We are also looking at points down south to Mexico, and we’re also looking overseas into Europe a little bit more, so you probably will see a little bit more coming either towards the end of the year or the beginning of next year," he told IndyStar. "I am very confident that we’re going to have new, upcoming announcements pretty soon that will be very, very intriguing."

"Rodriguez said the Indianapolis Airport Authority is working stay one step ahead of the competition by undergoing a update of the terminal that will make it a more comfortable place to spend time."

"Although it’s only a decade old, we are going to have a refresh of our concessions and a refresh of the look and the feel that has already started," he said. "When you go to the end of the concourses, you are going to find more lounge seating like you get in a resort hotel. Every seat practically is going to have power pretty soon. It'll take a little bit of time to put them in, but we're putting them in slowly."

Oh boy these teases are to much, my heart can't take it! #GrowIND

flymco753

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:52 pm

I bet IND gets either WW or FI next. EI is in a lingo between YUL, PIT, and DTW most likely as their newest A321LR destinations.

Indy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:54 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I bet IND gets either WW or FI next. EI is in a lingo between YUL, PIT, and DTW most likely as their newest A321LR destinations.

There is pretty much no chance it will be PIT. Not sure it will be IND but PIT won't happen. That market has more service than it can support already with the addition of BA.

flymco753

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Indy wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

There is pretty much no chance it will be PIT. Not sure it will be IND but PIT won't happen. That market has more service than it can support already with the addition of BA.
If we take PIT out of the cards, I could see it being YUL, DTW, and IND. Though, news medias are reportedly using PIT as the second NA destination with a disclosed 3rd Midwest destination, which at this point sounds a lot like DTW since the kinks are probably not completely worked out in terms of how much the airport can offer. IND has a concrete goal and I have a hard time they'd be disclosed about potential EI service.

zackary747

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018/08/15/indianapolis-airport-teases-new-european-flights-rider-numbers-soar/987328002/

What are you specifically referring to when it comes to the board meeting?

Indy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm

zackary747 wrote:

Bidding for Routes Americas 2020 is interesting.

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:22 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

- DHL Global Forwarding is trying to lease space in the IMC
- The airport is trying to host Routes Americas in 2020
- Signage and Wayfinding in Civic Plaza, which would include luminaire towers
- Two luminaires – one at the entrance to security checkpoint A and one at security checkpoint B. Each entrance will also include a portal that displays the anticipated TSA
screening wait time.

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:28 pm

flymco753 wrote:

Perhaps, although there was talk that service to Germany was in discussion

flymco753

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Perhaps, although there was talk that service to Germany was in discussion
Condor would fit that perfectly.

Indy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:35 pm

I wish IND would get something like this in Civic Plaza. How amazing would that be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8azGTsslNc

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Indy wrote:
I wish IND would get something like this in Civic Plaza. How amazing would that be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8azGTsslNc

It would be nice, although it wouldn't really fit the modern slick look of the terminal

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/st ... ecord-year
During the second quarter, Delta Airlines launched its inaugural trans-Atlantic nonstop. Future bookings on the flight to Paris, Rodriguez says, are "looking fantastic."

zackary747

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:06 pm

So, about the DHL thing in the IAA board meeting packet. I want to make sure I am understanding this clearly.

It says "air cargo leasing space". Now, DHL has no scheduled flights here so does that mean they're going to bring in a couple of their aircraft every once in awhile, or will they opt to use ground cargo options since CVG is so close?

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 pm

zackary747 wrote:
So, about the DHL thing in the IAA board meeting packet. I want to make sure I am understanding this clearly.

It says "air cargo leasing space". Now, DHL has no scheduled flights here so does that mean they're going to bring in a couple of their aircraft every once in awhile, or will they opt to use ground cargo options since CVG is so close?

Still trying to figue that out, the memo isn't very clear.

It does say "Staff are in discussions with DGF as the specific mode of transportation has not been determined"

They could be forwarding the cargo for CargoLux, since they mention healthcare logistics and CargoLux carries pharmaceuticals for Eli Lilly and Roche. Otherwise, I don't see why they would want space on the airport property, unless they were planning on running flights.

zackary747

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Vacation Express to PUJ and CUN next year will operate on Allegiant aircraft. No more Volaris or Swift Air for us. Hopefully Vacation Express will add more flights due to the fact we have 3 based Allegiant aircraft.

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:16 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Vacation Express to PUJ and CUN next year will operate on Allegiant aircraft. No more Volaris or Swift Air for us. Hopefully Vacation Express will add more flights due to the fact we have 3 based Allegiant aircraft.

Hopefully, those aren't the mexico flights the airport will be announcing. Hopefully, it is AM to MEX, as the Airport Director mentioned a few years back

May LFs
G4
IND-AUS-71.2%,
IND-CHS-75.8%,
IND-FLL-84.6%,
IND-JAX-82.5%,
IND-LAS-93.0%,
IND-MSY-64.7%,
IND-MYR-80.6%,
IND-PGD-87.8%,
IND-PIE-91.7%,
IND-SFB-89.1%,
IND-SRQ-86.4%,
IND-VPS-80.5%,

AS
IND-SEA-92.8%, SEA-IND-91.2%
IND-SFO-86.7%, SFO-IND-71.9%

AA
IND-ORD(mainline only)-67.5%
IND-CLT-85.6%
IND-DFW-87.7%
IND-DCA-89.4%
IND-PHL-79.1%
IND-MIA-83.4%
IND-LAX-86.5%
IND-PHX-84.9%
IND-JFK-86.4%
IND-LGA(Envoy Only)-86.5%

DL
IND-ATL-82.0%
IND-DTW-71.4%
IND-LAX-86.8%
IND-MCO-87.1%
IND-SLC-89.5%
IND-MSP-87.3%
IND-BOS-80.4%
IND-JFK-88.7%
IND-RDU-76.5%

WN
IND-ATL-85.6%
IND-AUS-71.2%
IND-BOS-74.1%
IND-BWI-88.7%
IND-DAL-94.3%
IND-DEN-89.4%
IND-EWR-76.0%
IND-FLL-83.0%
IND-HOU-86.1%
IND-LAS-87.1%
IND-LAX-90.6%
IND-MCI-74.2%
IND-MCO-90.4%
IND-MDW-72.1%
IND-MSY-74.8%
IND-PHX-87.3%
IND-RSW-90.1%
IND-TPA-87.6%

F9
IND-AUS-81.8%
IND-PHL-84.0%
IND-MCO-91.1%
IND-LAS-91.1%
IND-DEN-92.3%

UA
IND-SFO-83.5%
IND-DEN-80.2%
IND-EWR-86.8%
IND-ORD(Mainline)-79.3%
IND-IAD-89.7%
IND-IAH-85.9%

J1
IND-PIT-76.6%

zackary747

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:33 pm

I decided to look at how the cargo is for the passenger airlines at IND. (This does NOT include passenger baggage)

Delta's cargo went way up after Paris started, and Alaska is carrying cargo as well. With the full flight to Seattle and the cargo that makes that route pretty profitable, and the cargo helps Alaska maintain a profit during the winter drop.

Here's the data (I am assuming the number is in pounds of cargo transported)

DL

Jan: 348,412
Feb: 273,712
Mar: 356,424
Apr: 398,013
May: 455, 646
Jun: 912,023

AS

Jan: 33,619
Feb: 29,695
Mar: 23,566
Apr: 45,488
May: 45,257
Jun: 29,329

SOURCE: https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... Report.pdf (pg. 10)

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:03 pm

zackary747 wrote:
I decided to look at how the cargo is for the passenger airlines at IND. (This does NOT include passenger baggage)

Delta's cargo went way up after Paris started, and Alaska is carrying cargo as well. With the full flight to Seattle and the cargo that makes that route pretty profitable, and the cargo helps Alaska maintain a profit during the winter drop.

Here's the data (I am assuming the number is in pounds of cargo transported)

DL

Jan: 348,412
Feb: 273,712
Mar: 356,424
Apr: 398,013
May: 455, 646
Jun: 912,023

AS

Jan: 33,619
Feb: 29,695
Mar: 23,566
Apr: 45,488
May: 45,257
Jun: 29,329

SOURCE: https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... Report.pdf (pg. 10)

I talked about this a little in post #1351, but I would love to see DL's profitability at IND. All their routes have good-great LFs, and the ones that don't like IND-DTW have very high yields. Once the T100 data for June comes out we will be able to tell how much exactly they are sending on the Paris flight, by subtracting their domestic freight by their total cargo. It's also worth noting that UA has lost a significant amount of cargo in recent months, probably due to their decrease in mainline (although that's beginning to change).

fedex1

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 pm

When does Delta cut back daily service to CDG, from IND?

cvgComair

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:41 pm

fedex1 wrote:
When does Delta cut back daily service to CDG, from IND?

6x/wk effective September 7th
5x/wk effective September 9th
4x/wk effective October 28th
3x/wk effective January 6th
Daily effective March 31st

fedex1

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Gosh, I was hoping for daily service.

zackary747

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:02 pm

fedex1 wrote:
Gosh, I was hoping for daily service.

What do you mean? Everyone knew since September 2017 that we weren't going to get daily service in the winter. It's been said on this forum hundreds of times. There's nothing to be surprised or upset about.

No airline will expand winter daily service until it is tested on a limited schedule first....