Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zackary747

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2018

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 pm

tphuang wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
A few things I've noticed:
1. AS IND-SFO appears to be cut after September, after a full year in service. Good effort by AS, but it just wasn't meant to be
2. It looks like DL had already gotten $715,495.00 dollars of the incentives through June, which is a good sign
https://transparency.iedc.in.gov/Pages/ ... liant=true
-The route seems to be a money maker, adding on to the passenger revenue the Belly Cargo facility is being expanded as well to handle the additional cargo from DL and a maintenance space for G4
3. I have still yet to hear anything on the IND-Asia talks

I wonder if similarly sized markets AS launched out of SFO, such as MSY, BNA and RDU will get cut? How are those doing?

Very few of them are doing well. ABQ and MCI are performing terribly. IND/RDU/PHL/BNA are about the same level. The best performing ones are MCO/MSY/BWI. Which is probably not a surprise. IF IND is getting cut, I think there will be more cuts coming.

Yeah, I think it's going to be one long cutting drag for AS out of SFO. I tend to notice UA defends SFO kind of like DL defends SLC. No wonder Virgin America couldn't grow to much out of there.

Midwestindy

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
If WN dropped IND-ATL, I figure this would greatly increase the chances of IND-BNA.

I read a little while back that the Director of IND airport was pushing WN for IND-BNA, although that was a couple years back. I don't see WN dropping IND-ATL with 3 flights a day on that route, the day WN drops IND-ATL will be the day WN has given up on the IND market. The possibility I might see is WN dropping IND-ATL to 1-2x daily and adding IND-BNA at 1-2 daily. The more Caribbean/Mexico/Florida/e.t.c BNA gets the higher the chance IND-BNA becomes a reality

zackary747 wrote:
With UA running that second freq. in the winter AS just can't compete. They did seem to run pretty well in the summer (I only saw one month of data). How far does Alaska's schedules go? Just making sure it's not a seasonal cut. Also, UA did hammer AS on all the other launched routes as well, how are those doing?

EDIT: I see the SEA flight loaded into May 2019. Looks like a permanent cut to me. Somehow BNA-SFO is still on there even though it performed worse in some months compared to our route. I guess they didn't want to deal with UA and WN coming in all at once.

There is a possibility that it may go summer seasonal. It will be interesting to see if any of the other routes face the same fate.

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
A few things I've noticed:
1. AS IND-SFO appears to be cut after September, after a full year in service. Good effort by AS, but it just wasn't meant to be
2. It looks like DL had already gotten $715,495.00 dollars of the incentives through June, which is a good sign
https://transparency.iedc.in.gov/Pages/ ... liant=true
-The route seems to be a money maker, adding on to the passenger revenue the Belly Cargo facility is being expanded as well to handle the additional cargo from DL and a maintenance space for G4
3. I have still yet to hear anything on the IND-Asia talks

I wonder if similarly sized markets AS launched out of SFO, such as MSY, BNA and RDU will get cut? How are those doing?

I believe SFO-MSY is fine, SFO-RDU/BNA are at risk. Most of the routes are good during summer, however during winter demand drops off significantly

zackary747

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 am

Ok, I have a theory I want to share. Now, this is based 100 percent on observation and I very well could be wrong.

So, Alaska dropping IND-SFO before SFO-MCI/ABQ/RDU/BNA is kind of a surprise to me. With Salesforce here and all you would think some of the other markets would get dropped first. So, here goes my theory. According to the current schedule Alaska still plans to battle United on every SFO route with the exception of IND. There's got to be a reason for that.

Now, Alaska refuses to start a new route unless the existing routes are profitable and stabilized. IND-SEA is while IND-SFO is not.
My theory is that the IND airport management made a deal with Alaska to cut IND-SFO in exchange to start IND-PDX. Think of it this way. With 2 United flights to SFO to please the business people, and Southwest doing their own thing in OAK we have plenty of connectivity to the bay area for now. PDX is a good market that is completely unserved and I highly doubt IND would want to wait one more year to see if IND-SFO would work knowing that IND-PDX is a bigger priority right now.

Let me know what you guys think of this theory.

ibthebigd

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:51 am

I hope you are right.

I could also see it being a SAN flight

I would rather see Southwest serve IND-SAN, but AS is better than F9 twice weekly

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zackary747

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 am

ibthebigd wrote:
I hope you are right.

I could also see it being a SAN flight

I would rather see Southwest serve IND-SAN, but AS is better than F9 twice weekly

I don't see AS touching SAN until F9 is on the route for some time. Plus, PDX is a wide open market right now.

Jshank83

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:17 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Ok, I have a theory I want to share. Now, this is based 100 percent on observation and I very well could be wrong.

So, Alaska dropping IND-SFO before SFO-MCI/ABQ/RDU/BNA is kind of a surprise to me. With Salesforce here and all you would think some of the other markets would get dropped first. So, here goes my theory. According to the current schedule Alaska still plans to battle United on every SFO route with the exception of IND. There's got to be a reason for that.

Now, Alaska refuses to start a new route unless the existing routes are profitable and stabilized. IND-SEA is while IND-SFO is not.
My theory is that the IND airport management made a deal with Alaska to cut IND-SFO in exchange to start IND-PDX. Think of it this way. With 2 United flights to SFO to please the business people, and Southwest doing their own thing in OAK we have plenty of connectivity to the bay area for now. PDX is a good market that is completely unserved and I highly doubt IND would want to wait one more year to see if IND-SFO would work knowing that IND-PDX is a bigger priority right now.

I think you are way too in the weeds on this. Why would the airport ask AS to cut a route? AS has been cutting back at PDX (and switching to SAN) so I don't see them adding it. MCI and ABQ they can run E175s on, so they don't need as many passengers on it. Picking up SAN I think is more likely. What are the PDEWs to SAN and PDX from IND?

jplatts

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:51 pm

zackary747 wrote:

WN has stronger brand recognition in IND and significantly greater market share at IND than AS does. In addition, WN also recently started nonstop service to OAK out of IND.

PDX currently has no nonstop service out of IND, whereas the San Francisco Bay Area will still be served nonstop out of IND on UA (to SFO) and WN (to OAK) after AS discontinues IND-SFO nonstop service. In addition, PDX is one of the top destinations traveled to from IND that isn't currently served nonstop from IND.

fedex1

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Will all of the PIT - Europe routes stay with BA adding service now? Or will Delta likely get hurt, or other players? I don’t know anything about the PIT market, but that seems like a lot of Europe and no hub.
I would love to see IND add something! But of course I am a cheerleader knowing nothing! :-)

zackary747

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:00 pm

fedex1 wrote:
Will all of the PIT - Europe routes stay with BA adding service now? Or will Delta likely get hurt, or other players? I don’t know anything about the PIT market, but that seems like a lot of Europe and no hub.
I would love to see IND add something! But of course I am a cheerleader knowing nothing! :-)

I think their Condor and WOW flight will be fine. Those two flights attract leisure travelers and not business.

So, when it comes to BA vs. DL, it could hurt DL. Will DL have to cut the route? Possibly. It's one of those things where time will tell.

Midwestindy

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 pm

It looks like the AA mainline increases will continue, through their schedule through November DFW-all 738, PHL-all E175, PHX-A320/A319/+B738, CLT-A319/B738, ORD-B738/E175/+1xE145

atypical

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:54 am

One thing to keep in mind that largely affects AS and to a much lesser extent UA is the SFO gate restrictions. Even if the flight is marginally profitable AS will rededicate the resources to routes that are strongly profitable. One possibility is that AS is seeing tech bookings from the south bay and might consider a SJC replacement flight in the future. I personally don't see that as likely but as a possibility especially if they can get a extra cycle out of an aircraft that is otherwise RONing at SJC.

jplatts

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:07 pm

atypical wrote:
One thing to keep in mind that largely affects AS and to a much lesser extent UA is the SFO gate restrictions. Even if the flight is marginally profitable AS will rededicate the resources to routes that are strongly profitable. One possibility is that AS is seeing tech bookings from the south bay and might consider a SJC replacement flight in the future. I personally don't see that as likely but as a possibility especially if they can get a extra cycle out of an aircraft that is otherwise RONing at SJC.

WN has recently expanded at SJC in response to AS expansion at SJC, and WN now has focus cities at both SJC and OAK in the San Francisco Bay Area. While SJC isn't currently served nonstop from IND, SJC is one of the top destinations traveled to out of IND that isn't served nonstop out of IND. AS adding SJC-IND nonstop service will likely result in a competitive move by WN since WN has an established customer base in Silicon Valley.

tphuang

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:30 pm

atypical wrote:

They are definitely not making money on IND-SFO, especially at the current fuel prices. There isn't going to be SJC add. It's over. UA dominates all these bay area transcon. That's a fact.

just to give you a concept of how bad they are performing. Here is Q1 data. And I've put SEAIND and some of their other new SFO routes in there for reference

CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare % NS LF AvgAsm PRASM
SFOIND 1943 UA 26217 247.31 240.28 311.52 90.13% 75.11% 180.47 0.0929
SFOIND 1943 VX 14952 180.61 180.29 267.61 99.63% 64.42% 116.14 0.0598

SEAIND 1866 AS 22111 211.59 211.32 220.86 97.10% 75.72% 160.02 0.0858

SFOBNA 1969 UA 22623 279.56 271.44 381.95 92.65% 72.25% 196.13 0.0996
SFOBNA 1969 VX 14952 208.79 208.81 181.5 99.92% 59.39% 124.00 0.063

SFORDU 2400 UA 31697 312.8 308.91 346.61 89.69% 85.19% 263.15 0.1096
SFORDU 2400 VX 17896 228.0 228.05 218.34 99.41% 70.01% 159.66 0.0665

SFOPHL 2521 AA 81802 374.77 370.14 440.53 93.42% 76.51% 283.18 0.1123
SFOPHL 2521 UA 33895 351.7 354.28 327.63 90.33% 81.32% 288.11 0.1143
SFOPHL 2521 VX 16776 244.14 242.52 263.97 92.44% 67.75% 164.3 0.0652

fsafsx

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Could copa come to indy? What about a flight to Calgary on the new and improved westjet venture?

cvgComair

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:59 pm

fsafsx wrote:
Could copa come to indy? What about a flight to Calgary on the new and improved westjet venture?

Slow down there... You were just suggesting PIT could also handle nonstops to AMS/OSL/CPH, and now this? They could happen, but these routes have very little PDEW. Both routes are too far to be operated on RJs and it would be hard to fill a mainline plane on IND-YYC/PTY.

With the WestJet JV, they have way more connecting opportunities in YYZ, so any flight would likely go there instead of YYC (Also, IND-YYZ can use a RJ). Just like DL operates CVG-YYZ 2x/day for connections on WestJet, I could see DL/WS adding a flight on IND-YYZ.

jplatts

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 pm

tphuang wrote:
atypical wrote:

They are definitely not making money on IND-SFO, especially at the current fuel prices. There isn't going to be SJC add. It's over. UA dominates all these bay area transcon. That's a fact.

In addition to UA having a major hub at SFO, UA has nonstop service out of SFO to domestic destinations that aren't currently served by AS, including ACV, ASE, BFL, CVG, CLE, XNA, BDL, JAC, MSN, MIA, MTJ, OTH, RDD, and EGE. UA also serves some of its Asian, European, and Australian destinations nonstop from SFO, whereas AS doesn't serve any destinations outside of the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica.

WN also has focus cities at both OAK and SJC in the San Francisco Bay Area, and WN also has seasonal nonstop service to CMH, which isn't served by AS, out of OAK. WN also carries more passengers in and out of the San Francisco Bay Area (OAK/SJC/SFO) per year than in every other market except for Greater Los Angeles (LAX/SNA/BUR/LGB/ONT), the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI/DCA/IAD), and Chicagoland (MDW).

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Talked to someone from the IBJ, and they will either let me know or do a write up in the IBJ about the route cut.

Also I spoke with someone with AA at IND, and they told me that AA won't be adding a club at IND. Basically what they said was that although IND does have "a few" connecting passengers, AA would need more in order to add a Admirals Club lounge. Interesting enough though, yesterday on my flight to CLT there were some people connecting from out west through IND.

zackary747

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:03 pm

“Alaska (Airlines) has assured us it remains committed to Indianapolis and is very pleased with the IND-Seattle route even amidst new Delta competition,” Indianapolis Airport Authority Senior Director of Commercial Enterprise Marsha Stone said about the airline's decision."

Before anybody has any ideas, our Seattle flight is safe....

https://www.ibj.com/articles/69969-alas ... co-flights

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:14 pm

zackary747 wrote:
“Alaska (Airlines) has assured us it remains committed to Indianapolis and is very pleased with the IND-Seattle route even amidst new Delta competition,” Indianapolis Airport Authority Senior Director of Commercial Enterprise Marsha Stone said about the airline's decision."

Wow the IBJ is quick, when I contacted them this morning they didn't even know the flight was getting cancelled

zackary747

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

Wow the IBJ is quick, when I contacted them this morning they didn't even know the flight was getting cancelled

Wow. I am surprised they were able to contact the airline and the IAA that quickly.

fedex1

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:25 pm

The impact of Salesforce could bring other big tech companies (like Amazon) to Indianapolis. Open app for why it chose to stay in Indy. Watch Channel 13 at 6 to hear about employee perks.

zackary747

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:52 pm

fedex1 wrote:
The impact of Salesforce could bring other big tech companies (like Amazon) to Indianapolis. Open app for why it chose to stay in Indy. Watch Channel 13 at 6 to hear about employee perks.

Is there an article on this story?

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:04 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

Wow. I am surprised they were able to contact the airline and the IAA that quickly.

Her email is SOrr@IBJ.com if you have any other details to share with her, Great writer and responded to my email within 10 minutes.

She also said to share any airline related information with her, as she said most of the airline news that comes to the IBJ is through tips

fedex1

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:26 pm

I am trying to figure out how to add a like from WTHR on Salesforce. Not sure how to.

fedex1

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:28 pm

Salesforce influence could bring other big tech companies (like Amazon) to Indy
Ugh, I can’t figure it out, go to WTHR.com and see Salesforce piece. Good article. Looks good for the city of Indianapolis!

zackary747

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 am

fedex1 wrote:
Ugh, I can’t figure it out, go to WTHR.com and see Salesforce piece. Good article. Looks good for the city of Indianapolis!

https://www.wthr.com/article/salesforce ... mazon-indy

Here's the link. This can help up demand on routes out of IND.

fedex1

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:46 am

Thank you Zack!!!!!! Your a lot smarter than me!!!

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:00 am

zackary747 wrote:
fedex1 wrote:

https://www.wthr.com/article/salesforce ... mazon-indy

Here's the link. This can help up demand on routes out of IND.

When UA first started the IND-SFO route there was a story that included Exact Target, and the CEO of Exact Target basically said that they had already booked hundreds of flights on this route in the dead of winter, which was before they were acquired by Salesforce. I can only assume the amount of travel that Salesforce and their customers do on this route now is quite extensive, considering they are at 1,700 employees now with 800 more on the way.

fedex1

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Sounds like AMAZON could release a list of cities that are left out of 20 that they are seriously considering by the end of the month. According to RTV6

zackary747

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:05 pm

fedex1 wrote:
Sounds like AMAZON could release a list of cities that are left out of 20 that they are seriously considering by the end of the month. According to RTV6

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/loc ... short-list

Heres the link.

Indy

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 pm

Corporate begging at its finest. -_-

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Can't say enough about Susan Orr, great job immediately reporting on air service tips: https://www.ibj.com/articles/69978-sout ... rea-boston

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:31 pm

https://www.planetbids.com/portal/porta ... nyID=32621

It looks like a parking garage expansion is in the works, not sure how large the expansion will be though. I mostly take Lyft to the airport, but when I drive I don't usually have trouble finding parking.

Also I don't think there is room to expand the parking garage unless they build up

ibthebigd

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Plus the potential hotel

floridaflyboy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.planetbids.com/portal/portal.cfm?CompanyID=32621

It looks like a parking garage expansion is in the works, not sure how large the expansion will be though. I mostly take Lyft to the airport, but when I drive I don't usually have trouble finding parking.

Also I don't think there is room to expand the parking garage unless they build up

It's really common for the garage to fill up during peak travel periods. In fact, a few times this year, I've seen it fill up even on non-peak travel days (I work on site). A garage expansion is desperately needed.

If they don't build up, they could easily put a parking deck between the current one and the park & walk/employee lot The way the ramps on that side of the garage are set up, it would be fairly easy to combine the entrances to each as just a left turn or right turn at the locations where there are entrances to the current garage.

Indy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Is there a version of this that does not require Flash? I cannot view this page in Chrome, Firefox or Internet Exploder.

Indy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Okay I found a way to view the site using a 3rd party system. Unfortunately I cannot view the DOC or PDF files without an account. Does anyone have an account there and know the details? Also, did anyone notice they are also going to expand the belly cargo building?

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Indy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Is there a version of this that does not require Flash? I cannot view this page in Chrome, Firefox or Internet Exploder.

There isn't too much to read about it, it is just says "RFQ- Professional Services for IND parking garage expansion"

I'm assuming its a decent sized project as I see companies from Washington, Tennessee, North Carolina, California, Michigan, e.t.c bidding on the project

Indy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:39 pm

I am curious how they plan on doing this. The original plan in Midfield Terminal document showed the expanded garage going where the proposed hotel is going. Not sure they can just add levels to the existing garage. Could the existing structure support the additional weight without collapsing? Would it create any issues with the tower being able to see all aircraft? Maybe they build a basement level parking garage where the new hotel is going and the new hotel would be built on top of it?

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Indy wrote:
Also, did anyone notice they are also going to expand the belly cargo building?

Yeah, DL has been in talks with the airport since this time last year about expanding the facility. In June of this year, DL carried around half the cargo of all other passenger airlines combined. For reference they were approaching the amount of cargo CargoLux carried in June. GE Aviation needs to send engine cores to Seattle and Paris so DL is more than willing to "help out," "conveniently" IND-SEA/CDG leave at the same time. The airport is even paying for the expansion, so DL must be loving it

Indy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I wondered if the expansion of the belly cargo facility was being pushed along by the IND-Asia talks. It would seem that the cargo on a flight like this would probably test the limits of the current facility. I would assume there is no way the current facility could handle another big jet like that filled with cargo daily. I might be wrong. If there is a cargo capacity issue right now, could that be stopping DL from using larger equipment on IND-CDG?

flyboy80

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Ok, lots of questions here. What exactly does GE put on the flights? Re SEA, Does an A319 really have enough space for a lot of cargo? And on CDG around what volume of the 767 space is PAX bags vs cargo?

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Indy wrote:
I am curious how they plan on doing this. The original plan in Midfield Terminal document showed the expanded garage going where the proposed hotel is going. Not sure they can just add levels to the existing garage. Could the existing structure support the additional weight without collapsing? Would it create any issues with the tower being able to see all aircraft? Maybe they build a basement level parking garage where the new hotel is going and the new hotel would be built on top of it?

I'm good friends with someone who designed the garage so I'll ask him about it, funny thing is we were literally talking about the garage at IND yesterday

Indy wrote:
I wondered if the expansion of the belly cargo facility was being pushed along by the IND-Asia talks. It would seem that the cargo on a flight like this would probably test the limits of the current facility. I would assume there is no way the current facility could handle another big jet like that filled with cargo daily. I might be wrong. If there is a cargo capacity issue right now, could that be stopping DL from using larger equipment on IND-CDG?

A larger cargo facility is definitely needed, especially when an IND-Asia flight comes to pass and more europe flights come in the future. Although $2,147,000 for an expansion of that building seems like a lot. Also the building serves as a maintenance facility for GSE so not all of the space is used for cargo I believe.

I don't think there is a cargo capacity issue at the moment though, especially with a 2 million dollar expansion on the way. In the future I expect more pax cargo to go through IND, almost two-thirds of Indiana’s air cargo exports go through ORD so some of that will eventually continue to come back to IND.
https://www.ibj.com/articles/63300-taking-off

What I'm interested in is the progress of the IND-Asia talks, there is definitely a large amount of cargo demand from IND-Asia it is just a matter of whether they can secure the cargo from FX and ORD.

Midwestindy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 pm

flyboy80 wrote:
Ok, lots of questions here. What exactly does GE put on the flights? Re SEA, Does an A319 really have enough space for a lot of cargo? And on CDG around what volume of the 767 space is PAX bags vs cargo?

GE puts the LEAP-1A engine cores on the IND-CDG flight for final assembly in Paris. Since I don't know for a fact, I don't want to speculate about the capacities of the A319 and 767

atypical

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

GE puts the LEAP-1A engine cores on the IND-CDG flight for final assembly in Paris. Since I don't know for a fact, I don't want to speculate about the capacities of the A319 and 767

I think the opposite is true. I think the engines produced are for domestic (Boeing and Airbus) use and, if anything, parts probably arrive but don't depart. Even if it is the core minus the fan, fitting it in the belly of a 767 is probably impossible considering it would need to be placed into a frame, The reality of it is that the fan is apart of the core built in Lafayette making belly transport in the 767 impossible.

https://www.ge.com/reports/workers-want ... prospects/

Midwestindy

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:02 pm

atypical wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

I think the opposite is true. I think the engines produced are for domestic (Boeing and Airbus) use and, if anything, parts probably arrive but don't depart. Even if it is the core minus the fan, fitting it in the belly of a 767 is probably impossible considering it would need to be placed into a frame, The reality of it is that the fan is apart of the core built in Lafayette making belly transport in the 767 impossible.

Well this is a quote from GE Aviation: “GE Aviation’s Lafayette jet engine plant is excited about the new flight as an option to transport their 1 million pounds plus of planned shipments to France annually,” the company said in an email to IBJ.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/65287-indi ... is-flights
Here is the rest of the article:
Rodriguez said the airport and Delta have already discussed expanding the airline’s existing cargo operations in Indianapolis because of the new Paris service.

Much of that expansion, Rodriguez said, will be attributable to GE Aviation, which has an aircraft engine assembly facility in Lafayette. The LEAP-1A engine cores that the facility produces for Airbus are sent for final assembly in suburban Paris

atypical

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:38 am

Midwestindy wrote:
atypical wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Well this is a quote from GE Aviation: “GE Aviation’s Lafayette jet engine plant is excited about the new flight as an option to transport their 1 million pounds plus of planned shipments to France annually,” the company said in an email to IBJ.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/65287-indi ... is-flights
Here is the rest of the article:
Rodriguez said the airport and Delta have already discussed expanding the airline’s existing cargo operations in Indianapolis because of the new Paris service.

Much of that expansion, Rodriguez said, will be attributable to GE Aviation, which has an aircraft engine assembly facility in Lafayette. The LEAP-1A engine cores that the facility produces for Airbus are sent for final assembly in suburban Paris

I was only commenting about putting the cores onboard the DL flight however this is great information.

fedex1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:42 am

Obviously something is filling the belly, and it isn’t just cargo, so obviously it isn’t so large that GE is only using Fedex, for the CDG flight, in which Fedex flights nightly. I would say there is plenty of cargo filling the 767 pax flight. I worked at Fedex, back in 2003-06 and a lot has changed since then, but I was on the flight crew. We had CDG then. I am sure GE is onboard in the belly of Delta CDG flight. I’m sure someone knows more . What’s making the flight profitable?? Besides the subsidies. Obviously.

fedex1

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:43 am

Pax bags*** not cargo ugh, it’s late.

Midwestindy

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:19 pm

fedex1 wrote:
Obviously something is filling the belly, and it isn’t just cargo, so obviously it isn’t so large that GE is only using Fedex, for the CDG flight, in which Fedex flights nightly. I would say there is plenty of cargo filling the 767 pax flight. I worked at Fedex, back in 2003-06 and a lot has changed since then, but I was on the flight crew. We had CDG then. I am sure GE is onboard in the belly of Delta CDG flight. I’m sure someone knows more . What’s making the flight profitable?? Besides the subsidies. Obviously.

I took the IND-CDG flight a while back and I saw a large amount of cargo loaded onto the plane. I couldn't tell what was being loaded since it was covered under some kind of tarp, but there were around 8-12 people working around it so I assume it was something(s) that was important.