ERJ170

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Terminal 1 was the old blue box... Terminal 2 is where the old AA hub terminal was located
Aiming High and going far..

rajincajun01

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:18 am

ERJ170 wrote:
Terminal 1 was the old blue box... Terminal 2 is where the old AA hub terminal was located

The terminal AA used as their hub is technically gone. They removed all of Terminal C (also known as the Red Roof Terminal) with the renovation. AA owned Terminal C for long after they dehubbed.

ERJ170

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:03 am

Correct.. that’s why I said T2 WAS where AA hub terminal was located..

RDUflyer

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:32 pm

WN adding daily AUS service beginning June 9.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... G3eX75oIA4

EDIT: RDU Airport Twitter just confirmed this, and RDU CEO also says WN is adding weekly SJC!

https://twitter.com/RDUAirport/status/1 ... 0080211969

RDUAA is having its monthly board meeting. CEO says October up 8.2 percent (1.1 million total pax for the month) — DL, UA and F9 the primary drivers. I'll keep an eye out for any other news.

rajincajun01

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:49 pm

RDUflyer wrote:

EDIT: RDU Airport Twitter just confirmed this, and RDU CEO also says WN is adding weekly SJC!

RDUAA is having its monthly board meeting. CEO says October up 8.2 percent (1.1 million total pax for the month) — DL, UA and F9 the primary drivers. I'll keep an eye out for any other news.

Did not see WN being the carrier to pull the trigger on SJC.

WN is getting two more gates at AUS in February, so this isn’t too big of a surprise. Very nice add.

LovePrunesAnet

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:24 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
RDUflyer wrote:

WN is getting two more gates at AUS in February, so this isn’t too big of a surprise. Very nice add.

The Tweet say SJC-RDU is ONCE PER WEEK.
Is that correct?
What is the point in that? Why bother.

Midwestindy

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:33 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
RDUflyer wrote:

Is that correct?

Connections to Hawaii, currently RDU has no service to any of WN's mainland gateways to Hawaii.
DL DM, AA Gold in 2018, Visited 2018:AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, YYZ, ZRH

rajincajun01

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:48 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
RDUflyer wrote:

Is that correct?

Airlines often do this to test new routes. Aircraft utilization is often lowest on Saturday. If planes are idle, they aren’t making money.

msp747

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:59 pm

ERJ170 wrote:

So is that section of Terminal 1 that had its jetways removed where all the other carriers used to be based? Can it be used again? Or is it space that is just not functional anymore? Looking at it from Google Earth, it looks like there is room for at least 6 gates there. (note: I've dropped people off at RDU a couple of times, but have never flown out of it myself).

ERJ170

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 pm

They 4 gates that are available (T1-T4) are being brought online and will be up by 2020... from what I understand, the baggage system wasn’t connected to those gates so they have to fix that.. of course, why they would do that is beyond not bright to me...

Noise

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Would have rather seen DL or AS begin RDU-SJC daily than WN on a weekly flight.

blueheronNC

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Noise wrote:

Also once per week on Saturday as a test route is not going to expose this route to the best utilization. It’s not a test route in a vacuum but competes against RDU-SFO on UA and AS with multiple frequencies daily. Saturday is the lightest utilization on this route - if you’re coming home from a week at work you cut out early on Friday so that you’re home by evening. If you’re heading out for work you wait until Sunday or even Monday morning. Also the value propostion of not having to drive the 30 miles from Silicon Valley to SFO by flying out of SJC makes more sense in weekday traffic. On a weekend it’s easy to zip up 101 or 280 to SFO.

rajincajun01

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 pm

blueheronNC wrote:
Noise wrote:

Also once per week on Saturday as a test route is not going to expose this route to the best utilization. It’s not a test route in a vacuum but competes against RDU-SFO on UA and AS with multiple frequencies daily. Saturday is the lightest utilization on this route - if you’re coming home from a week at work you cut out early on Friday so that you’re home by evening. If you’re heading out for work you wait until Sunday or even Monday morning. Also the value propostion of not having to drive the 30 miles from Silicon Valley to SFO by flying out of SJC makes more sense in weekday traffic. On a weekend it’s easy to zip up 101 or 280 to SFO.

No one is saying it’s optimal, but again this is a way to test a route while there is slack in the fleet on Saturdays. Southwest is well aware that Saturday is a slower traffic day and will adjust their data accordingly.

The route isn’t designed to cater to SFO passengers necessarily. There is plenty of traffic out of RDU that prefers SJC, esp with tech companies. Just because the airports are a 30-40 min drive apart doesn’t mean people that live further south and east of SJC don’t want a shorter commute, where it would easily be over an hour long.
Last edited by rajincajun01 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RDUflyer

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:57 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
blueheronNC wrote:
Noise wrote:

No one is saying it’s optimal, but again this is a way to test a route while there is slack in the fleet on Saturdays. Southwest is well aware that Saturday is a slower traffic day and will adjust their data accordingly.

The route isn’t designed to cater to SFO passengers necessarily. There is plenty of traffic out of RDU that prefers SJC, esp with tech companies. Just because the airports are a 30-40 min drive apart doesn’t mean people that live further north of SJC don’t want a shorter commute, where it would easily be over an hour long.

This. I have family in the south Bay and SJC is a much easier trip.

SANFan

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:26 pm

I would've loved to see WN add some level of service between RDU and SAN - even once weekly as they did to SJC.

I feel it's just a matter of time before F9 gives up on RDU-SAN -- I have no idea what routes F9 still flies out of SAN -- and it seems that F9 eventually ends most of its 'experiments' and moves on to some other longshot. And AS is not acting fast enough these days to grab any much-needed routes from SAN. (Example - WN just announced ORF-SAN service.)

Anyway, when RDU-SAN is again un-served, I expect/hope we will see WN jump into that market with daily service.

bb

MonAmQB

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:18 pm

[list=][/list] RDU-SJC is my most frequent domestic route. But once a week on weekend is of no use to me. I need a daily, at least weekday flight. I think most people on this route is like me. This is a business route. If DL can step up and offer it, it'll be the best.

Midwestindy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:52 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

The route isn’t designed to cater to SFO passengers necessarily. There is plenty of traffic out of RDU that prefers SJC, esp with tech companies. Just because the airports are a 30-40 min drive apart doesn’t mean people that live further south and east of SJC don’t want a shorter commute, where it would easily be over an hour long.

Again, they aren't running the flight for business travelers, it is a Sun-only flight that will connect RDU to the Hawaii network.

In the future it might be meant to appeal to business travelers, but for now it is not
Last edited by Midwestindy on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DL DM, AA Gold in 2018, Visited 2018:AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, YYZ, ZRH

iflykpdx

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:54 pm

SJC-RDU is Sunday, not Saturday.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local ... 12890.html

RDU officials have long sought nonstop service between the Triangle and Silicon Valley. The Southwest flights, however, will only happen one day a week, on Sundays, and airport officials are still hoping for more frequent service.
Airport Management - UND

rajincajun01

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Again, they aren't running the flight for business travelers, it is a Sun-only flight that will connect RDU to the Hawaii network.

In the future it might be meant to appeal to business travelers, but for now it is not

WN doesn’t even serve Hawaii yet. No start date announced. Tickets not even on sale.

blueheronNC

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:17 pm

MonAmQB wrote:
[list=][/list] RDU-SJC is my most frequent domestic route. But once a week on weekend is of no use to me. I need a daily, at least weekday flight. I think most people on this route is like me. This is a business route. If DL can step up and offer it, it'll be the best.

It would be my most frequent route instead of RDU-SFO if it ran on weekdays. 10min from my office instead of an hour in traffic. As I stands I take the nonstop RDU-SFO instead of a connection to SJC so I imagine there would be some poaching from SFO. Looking at pure SJC O&D numbers doesn’t capture how successful this route would be.

Midwestindy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:24 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

WN doesn’t even serve Hawaii yet. No start date announced. Tickets not even on sale.

Flights are tentatively slated to start in February, and even if they are delayed, the Hawaii flights will have started by the time RDU-SJC launches

rajincajun01

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:41 pm

WN will not start Hawaii flights on two, maybe three, months notice.

The flight to RDU is too early for HI connections unless WN is starting redeyes now too.

I guarantee ever dollar I got you won’t even have 50 people regularly connecting to/from HI on this flight, never mind 100-130 like you seem to think. Hawaii is too low of a yield as is and it will only be more trash when Southwest starts service.

Midwestindy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
WN will not start Hawaii flights on two, maybe three, months notice.

Yes they will:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/10/ ... a-bit.aspx

"This suggests that Southwest is at least a few weeks away from achieving ETOPS certification. Yet it does expect to complete the process before year-end. The first half of December now seems like the most likely time frame for receiving ETOPS approval."

"Southwest Airlines plans to publish schedules and begin selling tickets for Hawaii flights just a few days after that. Moreover, the first flight could occur as soon as a few weeks after ticket sales begin, which is a much shorter interval than normal."

rajincajun01 wrote:
I guarantee ever dollar I got you won’t even have 50 people regularly connecting to/from HI on this flight, never mind 100-130 like you seem to think. Hawaii is too low of a yield as is and it will only be more trash when Southwest starts service.

Almost no WN flight is 50%-100% connections (especially a TCON flight), but to say that there won't be a significant amount of connecting passengers is simply not true.

rajincajun01

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:11 pm

“...AT LEAST a few weeks away...”. Could always be more. Especially around holidays. This process has already taken longer than WN expected.

“...first flight could occur”. Doesn’t mean it will. WN is a financially responsible airline and won’t be flying over the Pacific with LFs of 50-60% and cheap fares.

You said this route is mostly to feed a Hawaii network. There will be zero inbound connections from HI unless WN starts redeyes.

An airline will never start a transcon route to feed a historically low yield network based off of 10-25 connections in only one direction.

Midwestindy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:33 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
“...AT LEAST a few weeks away...”. Could always be more. Especially around holidays. This process has already taken longer than WN expected.

“...first flight could occur”. Doesn’t mean it will. WN is a financially responsible airline and won’t be flying over the Pacific with LFs of 50-60% and cheap fares.

You said this route is mostly to feed a Hawaii network. There will be zero inbound connections from HI unless WN starts redeyes.

An airline will never start a transcon route to feed a historically low yield network based off of 10-25 connections in only one direction.

I am not going to argue around in circles about "could, should, would, e.t.c, but just to clarify

https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawa ... ne-update/
"FAA sign-off on ETOPS certificate (required for Hawaii) has been delayed for up to 90 days. That could translate into a December/January announcement and February flights."

Southwest EVP and Chief Revenue Officer Andrew Watterson, https://crankyflier.com/2018/09/18/an-u ... aii-plans/:
"Southwest would rather just wait and then start flying quickly even though it won’t have a long booking window to prop up those early flights."

It isn't a coincidence that WN has started numerous TCON routes from SMF/OAK/SJC/SAN right before they announce Hawaii service. There is no doubt O&D associated for these flights, but I believe that WN's build up for Hawaii is a primary reason for these flights, similar to how WN started IND-OAK and is bringing back CMH-OAK

rajincajun01

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

I am not going to argue around in circles about "could, should, would, e.t.c, but just to clarify

https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawa ... ne-update/
"FAA sign-off on ETOPS certificate (required for Hawaii) has been delayed for up to 90 days. That could translate into a December/January announcement and February flights."

Southwest EVP and Chief Revenue Officer Andrew Watterson, https://crankyflier.com/2018/09/18/an-u ... aii-plans/:
"Southwest would rather just wait and then start flying quickly even though it won’t have a long booking window to prop up those early flights."

It isn't a coincidence that WN has started numerous TCON routes from SMF/OAK/SJC/SAN right before they announce Hawaii service. There is no doubt O&D associated for these flights, but I believe that WN's build up for Hawaii is a primary reason for these flights, similar to how WN started IND-OAK and is bringing back CMH-OAK

Think you’re misinterpreting some of these routes as growth for a Hawaii launch instead of a reaction to Alaska’s growth out west. Alaska is focusing, optimizing and bolstering the California market, which has been Southwest’s turf previously.

Show me the PDEW for CMH-Hawaii or IND-Hawaii. Guarantee those numbers don’t come close to supporting the routes. There are better routes WN could use to feed HI. BOS, DTW, MKE, and PIT all lack SJC & OAK service on WN and would certainly have a higher ceiling for drawing HI traffic than CMH or IND.

Midwestindy

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:13 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/ne ... nsion.html

"In an exclusive interview, he talks through Frontier’s successes at RDU, and what’s coming next.

“We want to make sure there’s enough space for us to grow, because we’ve been very happy with this market,” he says. In the next couple of months, Frontier expects to announce even more new nonstop flights from RDU, including unserved destinations."

"For Frontier, the local growth may not be limited to new flights. He doesn’t rule out adding an RDU crew base in the next two years. “Assuming we continue to see success with our new winter schedule, as we head into 2019, we’ll certainly be analyzing where we want to open crew bases in 2020,” he says. “I would definitely say Raleigh is under consideration for that.”

casinterest

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 pm

casinterest wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
I hate to sound like a broken record (cause I know I've asked this before), but do we have any load factor % for both AA RDU-LHR and DL RDU-CDG? I'm curious to know how the 777 and 767 on those routes respectively are holding up.

They must be holding well, as they both exist and are not going away. I will probably be able to tell you for one flight what it is in about 6 weeks. ( a return leg) the outbound through boston was cheaper if that gives you any ideas.

Yep, CDG-RDU was full last week. I would put the number for my flight at above 90% Probably above 93%. Was also the best service I have had on my overseas flights. (The warm cookie was a great mid flight snack) I have flown a few foreign carriers on other flights.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

hockyluv21

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Only saw the AC news about RDU two days ago. YUL is an excellent addition to the RDU network, particularly because it even further expands one-stop TATL options to areas not covered by the likes of JFK, such as non-Paris parts of France or North Africa. Considering the fast-growing int'l market from RDU, it's a highly welcome flight. The RDU-YUL O&D base isn't that large right now, but I can imagine it being quite elastic and expandable in the presence of daily non-stops. I can only imagine that if this route is as successful as I expect that it will be, AM will have to consider trying out RDU-MEX next.

ScrantonUSC

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:03 am

hockyluv21 wrote:
particularly because it even further expands one-stop TATL options to areas not covered by the likes of JFK, such as non-Paris parts of France or North Africa.

Air Canada usually is pretty aggressive with their pricing for International connections through Toronto from RDU. I'd expect the same through YUL, as the pure O&D numbers aren't there yet (like you mentioned).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos