WHAM
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Not to turn this in to a Frontier thread, but who in their right mind would connect in a place like Raleigh. If you miss your flight from Buffalo to Montego Bay because of a snowstorm (assuming the banks work out for such a routing in the first place), it could be 3 days until the next flight. Not nearly the same type of problem connecting in Atlanta or Charlotte. At least F9 in Denver, from what I know has daily service to many destinations, as far as I know. I one time missed an F9 connection in Denver due to weather at my origin city and at least they could get me out the next day-- sure was better than waiting half a week.

I'm pretty sure Frontier's intention is to capture local demand for these flights.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Not to turn this in to a Frontier thread, but who in their right mind would connect in a place like Raleigh. If you miss your flight from Buffalo to Montego Bay because of a snowstorm (assuming the banks work out for such a routing in the first place), it could be 3 days until the next flight. Not nearly the same type of problem connecting in Atlanta or Charlotte. At least F9 in Denver, from what I know has daily service to many destinations, as far as I know. I one time missed an F9 connection in Denver due to weather at my origin city and at least they could get me out the next day-- sure was better than waiting half a week.


The average person doesn’t plan a trip on backup options of their connection falls through. They see the option on the screen to connect, see the price, and book.
 
ncflyer
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Fair enough rajincajun, your point is taken, I would never do it, but I tend to be more aware of connections and backups.

However I will say this, a lot of the northern markets to RDU-- for instance my hometown of CLE (which could at least in theory provide a lot of feed to the southern markets)-- are at present time at least seasonal. Either that will have to change or else yeah the flights will succeed or fail based on local demand.

I'm not going to do this math but I wonder how many destinations F9 will serve out of RDU by month of the year. . . .
 
airplaneboy
Posts: 632
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:59 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Does anyone know how many flights per day and per week Frontier operates from RDU? With all these new destinations at sub-daily frequencies it’s kinda hard to keep track. Thanks in advance!
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 1705
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 am

airplaneboy wrote:
Does anyone know how many flights per day and per week Frontier operates from RDU? With all these new destinations at sub-daily frequencies it’s kinda hard to keep track. Thanks in advance!

This is for the week of July 23:
Monday: 10
Tuesday: 9
Wednesday: 10
Thursday: 9
Friday: 10
Saturday: 10
Sunday: 9
Total Weekly: 67

Let me know if there is a specific week(s) you would like.
Next: CVG-BOS (Delta Air Lines MD90), BOS-AMS (Delta Air Lines A333), AMS-CPH (KLM B738)
A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
Noise
Posts: 2275
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:38 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 am

This growth is impressive. I've said this before and I'll say it again - these are all opportunities that DL could have jumped on but didn't. It seems like DL's expansion at RDU fizzled after the launch of CDG, SEA and AUS.
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 1705
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 am

Also, thought I'd post this as well. For the same week, here are F9's top stations by weekly departures. RDU comes in at #8:
1. DEN - 467
2. MCO - 172
3. LAS - 125
4. PHL - 116
5. AUS - 102
6. CVG - 80
7. ATL - 73
8. RDU - 67
9. ORD - 62
10. CLE - 57
Next: CVG-BOS (Delta Air Lines MD90), BOS-AMS (Delta Air Lines A333), AMS-CPH (KLM B738)
A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5690
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:45 am

So, do we think there will be any DL response? Or WN? Or anyone??? Competition is good...
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 1705
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:47 am

Noise wrote:
This growth is impressive. I've said this before and I'll say it again - these are all opportunities that DL could have jumped on but didn't. It seems like DL's expansion at RDU fizzled after the launch of CDG, SEA and AUS.

Totally agreed, but DL just doesn't have the aircraft for it right now. All the CSeries issues mean RJs were not freed up for expansion at the focus cities (RDU/CVG/BOS/IND/MCO). Once they start coming in 2019, there should be more CRJ-700/900 and ERJ-170/175 aircraft available for new routes.

However, Frontier is easily pushed around and will quickly reduce flights in the face of competition. CVG has seen a good chunk of reductions by F9 and many of these routes have faced quite a bit of competition from DL. I have no doubt that DL could come in and take over many of these routes when they have the aircraft available.
Next: CVG-BOS (Delta Air Lines MD90), BOS-AMS (Delta Air Lines A333), AMS-CPH (KLM B738)
A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 am

ERJ170 wrote:
So, do we think there will be any DL response? Or WN? Or anyone??? Competition is good...


I don't know enough about RDU's air service, but it appears DL has been quietly growing service at RDU. RDU-MSP/DTW are going all mainline year-round, RDU-CUN gets daily service for winter break, a lot of the RDU-ATL flying is switching to the A321, probably more as well
2018: AMS, ATL, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, FRA, HPN, JFK, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MIA, MSP, ORD, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 am

ncflyer wrote:
Not to turn this in to a Frontier thread, but who in their right mind would connect in a place like Raleigh. If you miss your flight from Buffalo to Montego Bay because of a snowstorm (assuming the banks work out for such a routing in the first place), it could be 3 days until the next flight. Not nearly the same type of problem connecting in Atlanta or Charlotte. At least F9 in Denver, from what I know has daily service to many destinations, as far as I know. I one time missed an F9 connection in Denver due to weather at my origin city and at least they could get me out the next day-- sure was better than waiting half a week.



Dont worry ..... frontier to RDU isnt a long term thing. Its like Austin. Temporary summer destinations. That is my guess / prediction.

I highly doubt BUF - RDU and other routes like that stick year around.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:43 am

ncflyer wrote:
Fair enough rajincajun, your point is taken, I would never do it, but I tend to be more aware of connections and backups.

However I will say this, a lot of the northern markets to RDU-- for instance my hometown of CLE (which could at least in theory provide a lot of feed to the southern markets)-- are at present time at least seasonal. Either that will have to change or else yeah the flights will succeed or fail based on local demand.

I'm not going to do this math but I wonder how many destinations F9 will serve out of RDU by month of the year. . . .


Your thought process is buying no means wrong. I would plan the same way if I were traveling on Frontier. It’s just that you and I have a lot more knowledge and experience on what can go wrong.

The one thing that nobody is taking into account is that a contract that frontier has with charter express. They have a very hard time keeping staff as it is. I am highly skeptical of their ability to hire and retain enough staff two for fill the needs of allegiant, Alaska, JetBlue, and frontier.
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 am

blueheronNC wrote:
Frontier just added nonstops from RDU to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Fort Myers, West Palm Beach, Cancun and Phoenix..
https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... op-routes/


Holy Sh-t that's a lot of new RDU service all in what, 3 months?
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5690
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:19 am

With MJB and Punta Cana, I could potentially see other 2 weekly international flights that would be good additions for RDU... NAS, BDA, and YUL.. I’m just saying
Aiming High and going far..
 
hockyluv21
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 am

ERJ170 wrote:
With MJB and Punta Cana, I could potentially see other 2 weekly international flights that would be good additions for RDU... NAS, BDA, and YUL.. I’m just saying


NAS or FPO is probably a matter of time, and it just depends on when F9 begins service to the Bahamas and to which airport. As for domestic destinations, I could see F9 expanding into ISP, BHM, MEM, JAX, IND, CMH, SDF. Maybe even OKC or OMA if they want to go full Ryanair and stimulate some new markets out of thin air.
 
ADrum23
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 am

1. How are both RDU-LHR and RDU-CDG doing? Have the loads on LHR recovered from winter? Which one is more popular?

2. What are the chances AA eventually "right-sizes" the LHR flight to a 787 or perhaps has BA take over the route? I am still surprised they are running a 772 on that route with DL running CDG.

3. Any word on when some of the 2040 master plan projects will begin construction, particularly the rental car facility and the new runway?

4. Any word on new DL routes?
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 am

LHR and CDG are doing fine. The 772 on LHR helps AA with cargo and more business class, which is what makes the route profitable.

Many of the 2040 projects are underway behind the scenes.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5690
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:10 am

As I'm sure you have all seen in other threads, the list of flights from Delta by fleet type, available seats, and city available. So I thought I would bring it here..

On 21Sep18, here's what i came up with:

CRJ - 8 - 350 seats
CR7 - 8 - 552 seats
CR9 - 29 - 2204 seats
170 - 2 - 138 seats
175 - 5 - 380 seats
712 - 7 - 770 seats
738 - 4 - 640 seats
739 - 3 - 540 seats
763 - 1 - 211 seats
320 - 1 - 160 seats
321 - 5 - 960 seats
MD8 - 7 - 1043 seats
MD9 - 1 - 158 seats

76 daily flights, 4 weekend flights
8106 seats
27 destinations
57% mainline

Plus there was a General Sales position for the RDU focus city covering NC, SC, and BNA..
The GM position in the RDU market would lead a newly formed matrix organization that would result in more effective synergies.
• lead a sales team and closer collaboration across business units to focus on the Flight Plan.
• close collaboration between Global Corporate & Agency Sales, Multi-national, National, Military & Government, Sports & University and off-shore stakeholders in EMEIA to establish new revenue opportunities
• Identifies and develops strategic plan to accelerate globalization across team members portfolios.
• Coordinates Focus City initiatives within the RDU & BNA catchment areas working closely with local civic, community, government & airport authority contacts.
• promote Delta's brand
• Complete review of current Strategic and MSA accounts in the RDU market for opportunities to reassign to outside sales coverage
• Responsible for P & L for the RDU and BNA markets.
• self-motivated, highly-skilled sales force
• strategic partnerships within the district with specific emphasis on positioning Delta/JV with those prominent venues with the greatest revenue opportunities and community exposure
• employee safety and well-being.

So what do you think? Guess this manager is all about sales and identifying/initiating/maturing additional revenue streams and managing the Delta brand/outreach in the NC, SC, and BNA region.. although I find it very bizarre that it ONLY covers BNA and not the other TN areas..

And lastly, RDU is very CR9 HEAVY!!! Are these primed for CS100 upgrade?
Aiming High and going far..
 
ADrum23
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 am

ERJ170 wrote:
As I'm sure you have all seen in other threads, the list of flights from Delta by fleet type, available seats, and city available. So I thought I would bring it here..

On 21Sep18, here's what i came up with:

CRJ - 8 - 350 seats
CR7 - 8 - 552 seats
CR9 - 29 - 2204 seats
170 - 2 - 138 seats
175 - 5 - 380 seats
712 - 7 - 770 seats
738 - 4 - 640 seats
739 - 3 - 540 seats
763 - 1 - 211 seats
320 - 1 - 160 seats
321 - 5 - 960 seats
MD8 - 7 - 1043 seats
MD9 - 1 - 158 seats

76 daily flights, 4 weekend flights
8106 seats
27 destinations
57% mainline

Plus there was a General Sales position for the RDU focus city covering NC, SC, and BNA..
The GM position in the RDU market would lead a newly formed matrix organization that would result in more effective synergies.
• lead a sales team and closer collaboration across business units to focus on the Flight Plan.
• close collaboration between Global Corporate & Agency Sales, Multi-national, National, Military & Government, Sports & University and off-shore stakeholders in EMEIA to establish new revenue opportunities
• Identifies and develops strategic plan to accelerate globalization across team members portfolios.
• Coordinates Focus City initiatives within the RDU & BNA catchment areas working closely with local civic, community, government & airport authority contacts.
• promote Delta's brand
• Complete review of current Strategic and MSA accounts in the RDU market for opportunities to reassign to outside sales coverage
• Responsible for P & L for the RDU and BNA markets.
• self-motivated, highly-skilled sales force
• strategic partnerships within the district with specific emphasis on positioning Delta/JV with those prominent venues with the greatest revenue opportunities and community exposure
• employee safety and well-being.

So what do you think? Guess this manager is all about sales and identifying/initiating/maturing additional revenue streams and managing the Delta brand/outreach in the NC, SC, and BNA region.. although I find it very bizarre that it ONLY covers BNA and not the other TN areas..

And lastly, RDU is very CR9 HEAVY!!! Are these primed for CS100 upgrade?


BNA is pretty far from RDU and doesn’t have anything to do with it. Why does it matter to this position?

Also, yes. CS100 will be great for focus cities such as RDU/CVG and possibly AUS. They just need to get here already!!!!!!
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5690
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:18 am

I don’t get it either.. there is Knoxville, Chattanooga... why not Memphis? I’m so confused...
Aiming High and going far..
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 1705
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: What's going on at RDU - 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
And lastly, RDU is very CR9 HEAVY!!! Are these primed for CS100 upgrade?

Absolutely. Both CVG/RDU are CR9 heavy for a reason. Now with the CSeries/B717's freed up, I am sure many of the CR9 routes will be upgraded to the CS100/B717. That will free up some CR7/9's for expansions on new routes plus upgrading CR2 routes.
Next: CVG-BOS (Delta Air Lines MD90), BOS-AMS (Delta Air Lines A333), AMS-CPH (KLM B738)
A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos