Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MartijnNL

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 am

Begues wrote:
Then the idiots thought it was a good idea to turn one of the domestic terminals into an international terminal and creating the worst terminal setup for any airport in Europe.

Are you talking about terminal 2? Which gives no airside access to the other terminals? Indeed pretty annoying.

What I like about the airport is the Arlanda Express. This train makes travelling from and to the airport a nice experience. Unfortunately the fare is expensive.

What I also like about the airport are the aircraft viewing opportunities from inside the buildings for visitors who are not flying. Many airports worldwide offer no viewing facilities whatsoever for non flying visitors. At Arlanda you can just sit on a bench near one of the many big windows and watch the traffic go by. A big plus for me.

cityairline

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:06 pm

B747forever wrote:
I know the whole point is to connect GOT to the greater network out of DOH, but I wonder what the O&D is on GOT-DOH, if not just for a good laugh of how small it must be.

I’m sure it was zero per day, but after the multi billion dollar deal the Qatari government recently did with Volvo, it increased to one passenger per day... ;)

Jokes aside, the O/D market is almost non-existent, but that’s no different from QR’s other European destinations, am I not right?
With all the connections that QR can offer, I’m sure this route will perform well and become daily within a year...

Lingon

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Nami wrote:

Cathay Pacific’s recently launched Hong Kong-Copenhagen flight will come under significant pressure as SAS moves its Hong Kong-Stockholm flight to Hong Kong-Copenhagen, creating direct overlap. SAS will fly year-round, offer greater frequency, have operating advantages (using the lighter A330 against Cathay’s A350), and critically in a small market like Copenhagen – SAS will have a hub advantage.

This has resulted in some asking whether Cathay should look elsewhere in North Asia and move its Copenhagen service to Helsinki.

You also have a hub in the HK end, where CX has the hub advantage. I flew CX recently, and it seemed like a high percentage (clear majority) connecting passengers in HKG, but of course this is anecdotal evidence, proper statistics would be needed.

ilari

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Air Force One just passed my house and has landed at HEL. Welcome, Mr Trump.

HELyes

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Mr Trump was welcome by a rather exceptional temperature at HEL this late 9:20PM in the evening, +28,1C/82,6F, air humidity luckily 38%. The sun is still up.

Begues

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Arlanda has its annoyance for sure (have been through almost 40 times so know it well) but there are worse in Europe - try Berlin Schonefeld

Schonefeld is an abomination that will be fixed when the new terminal open. Arlanda however will never be fixed, because it can't due to really really really bad planning. Copenhaguen and Helsinki are examples of how you plan an airport so that it can be fixed when times call for modernization.

There are a few but rapidly diminishing number of bad airports in Europe, most of them are low cost airports, so in the end you get what you pay for. However the reality is that many really shitty airports have been rebuilt into functional modern efficient airports. Even Heathrow, an airport I used to despise is now being rebuilt into a functional airport. De Gaulle is another one that was horrible but now is becoming pretty decent.

And the list of shitty airports that have been fixed in the last 2 decades is really long, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Athens, Munich, Warsaw, Prague, Oslo, Brussels, St Petersburg, etc. And that is just in Europe, now even South America and Africa are building airports that leave Arlanda in the dust, Bogotas new airport is so much nicer. Even Luanda in Angola will have a better airport. I have actually landed in Luanda when the airport was nothing but a tin shed, how things have changed, now Arlanda is fast becoming the tin shed metaphorically speaking.

YIMBY

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:02 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Arlanda has its annoyance for sure (have been through almost 40 times so know it well) but there are worse in Europe - try Berlin Schonefeld

and in Americas, try JFK. There are better, too, at least in South America, try LIM.

For me Arlanda is OK, just boring. I do not need fancy boutiques. Changing to other gate is trivial and relatively hassle-free. You may get an impression to be in place like RIX, but so what. Getting to downtown is expensive or complicated.

Someone83

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Lingon wrote:

You also have a hub in the HK end, where CX has the hub advantage. I flew CX recently, and it seemed like a high percentage (clear majority) connecting passengers in HKG, but of course this is anecdotal evidence, proper statistics would be needed.

CX and SK also provide some feed for each other ;)

Joelatbsl

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 am

Rare visitor on its way to Trondheim at the moment: Flugfelag Islands (Air Iceland Connect) Q400 TF-FXA, with the Valur football team for an away game at Rosenborg BK:

http://championsleaguecharters.blogspot ... 17-18.html

Nami

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:33 am

AY just posted its highest Q2 profit so far but as expected, rising fuel prices are starting to show. Full-year result in 2018 is expected to be broadly at last year’s level of €170 million while capacity is increasing by over 15%.

https://company.finnair.com/en/media/al ... id=2995697

Lindegaard

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 am

B747forever wrote:
I know the whole point is to connect GOT to the greater network out of DOH, but I wonder what the O&D is on GOT-DOH, if not just for a good laugh of how small it must be.

Looking at only the O&D GOT-DOH and return, market size is approximately 450-500 PAX yearly each way. Clearly this is for beyond traffic from DOH.

Someone83

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:47 am

Lindegaard wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Looking at only the O&D GOT-DOH and return, market size is approximately 450-500 PAX yearly each way. Clearly this is for beyond traffic from DOH.

Just like most other traffic to DOH ;)

B747forever

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 am

Lindegaard wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Thanks for looking up the numbers.

I know that basically the whole QR network is built around flowing traffic via DOH, but GOT must be one of their smallest outstations. Just fascinating to see how QR is able to make such a small city work! They are really strong in the Scandinavian market, even more so than EK. Anyone know why QR is so much stronger in the region?

Lindegaard

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am

B747forever wrote:
Lindegaard wrote:
B747forever wrote:

I know that basically the whole QR network is built around flowing traffic via DOH, but GOT must be one of their smallest outstations. Just fascinating to see how QR is able to make such a small city work! They are really strong in the Scandinavian market, even more so than EK. Anyone know why QR is so much stronger in the region?

I'm thinking it's because QR's has "smaller" planes, which means being able to open new routes, with less risk. QR started with A319 to CPH when they started. Interesting that they will use 787's on GOT.

Bostrom

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 am

Lindegaard wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Lindegaard wrote:

I'm thinking it's because QR's has "smaller" planes, which means being able to open new routes, with less risk. QR started with A319 to CPH when they started. Interesting that they will use 787's on GOT.

That is probably a large part of the answer, when you can't send anything smaller than a 777, it is hard to serve smaller airports like GOT.

QuawerAir

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Skytrax awarded Finnair as the 'Best Airline in Northern Europe' for the 9th year in a row. Finnair also recognized as the airline with the best cabin crew in Northern Europe. Norwegian recognized as the Best low-cost airline flying long-haul flights.

company.finnair.com / lentoposti

Nami

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:53 pm

To no one's surprise, BRA seems to have quietly ended flights between MMX and HEL, which began in April. Last flight was on July 8th.

davidjohnson6

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:13 pm

I notice that on 28 May, the Swedish Transport Administration changes to the public service obligation applying to routes from Stockholm to Hahfors, Sveg and Torsby as well as the Lulea-Pajala route.

As these routes weren't affected by Nextjet's bankruptcy, does anyone know what is changing and why ?

QuawerAir

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 am

Finnair CEO Pekka Vauramo: "Finnair will be making decisions on narrow-body order during 2019." The order will surely be for Airbus aircraft but could it include some A220s?

Lentoposti.fi

Someone83

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Nami wrote:
To no one's surprise, BRA seems to have quietly ended flights between MMX and HEL, which began in April. Last flight was on July 8th.

Ended or summer break?

Lindegaard

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Nami wrote:

Ended or summer break?

As per flightmapper, it should still be flying. http://info.flightmapper.net/route/YY_MMX_HEL
But I'm unable to book it on their site.

cityairline

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 pm

B747forever wrote:
Lindegaard wrote:
B747forever wrote:

GOT is a small airport yes, but Gothenburg as a city isn't THAT small. I've noticed around here people tend to forget that Gothenburg is roughly the same size as Oslo & Helsinki, with it's 1 million metro population and 2 million in the region and within the airport's catchment area.
What makes GOT (airport) so much smaller than the capital airports is the fact that it's not a hub. And don't get me wrong, but while SK/DY gets alot of feed into their Nordic hubs, EK/QR is mostly after the local market on the Nordic side. So while ARN will get 1300 daily seats on EK/QR this winter, I for one, do not find it strange or fascinating at all that GOT will receive a 5 x weekly 254-seater, which gives you a daily average of 180 seats.
And since Turkish started sending 14 weekly A321, Iran Air 2 weekly A330, and now Qatar 5 weekly 787, the airport isn't as regional as it used to be...

TUGMASTER

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:51 pm

cityairline wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Lindegaard wrote:

GOT is a small airport yes, but Gothenburg as a city isn't THAT small. I've noticed around here people tend to forget that Gothenburg is roughly the same size as Oslo & Helsinki, with it's 1 million metro population and 2 million in the region and within the airport's catchment area.
What makes GOT (airport) so much smaller than the capital airports is the fact that it's not a hub. And don't get me wrong, but while SK/DY gets alot of feed into their Nordic hubs, EK/QR is mostly after the local market on the Nordic side. So while ARN will get 1300 daily seats on EK/QR this winter, I for one, do not find it strange or fascinating at all that GOT will receive a 5 x weekly 254-seater, which gives you a daily average of 180 seats.
And since Turkish started sending 14 weekly A321, Iran Air 2 weekly A330, and now Qatar 5 weekly 787, the airport isn't as regional as it used to be...

Great Post Cityairline.
I love using GOT... it’s a great small airport, but with 1 stop connections to the world. Superb place.

JetBuddy

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:40 pm

cityairline wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Lindegaard wrote:

I agree in general that Gothenburg has a lot of potential being as large as it is. On the other hand, it's only a three-four hours drive or train ride either direction to Oslo or Copenhagen.

Turkish, Iran Air and Qatar.. they're all after the diaspora / immigrant market. That's what has changed the last decade or so.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Anyone know what is happening with routes from Stockholm to Arvidsjaur and Gallivare ? After Nextjet went bankrupt the two PSO routes stopped - although other former Nextjet PSO routes to Hemavan, Kramfors, Lycksele and Vilhelmina resumed pretty quickly. From Arvidsjaur a 2 hour bus ride to Skelleftea airport is the only option right now while Gallivare passengers fly to/from Kiruna

Are these ywo routes going to resume (once PSO bidding has gone through all the process) or are the Swedish Transport Administration either trying to kill the routes through low PSO subsidy or having difficulty finding airline bidding for the PSO contracts ?

kanye

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:34 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
cityairline wrote:
B747forever wrote:

I agree in general that Gothenburg has a lot of potential being as large as it is. On the other hand, it's only a three-four hours drive or train ride either direction to Oslo or Copenhagen.

Turkish, Iran Air and Qatar.. they're all after the diaspora / immigrant market. That's what has changed the last decade or so.

Which means a lot of people who used OSL and CPH before going to Thailand for example would maybe prefer flying Qatar from GOT now.

mjoelnir

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:55 pm

The 2018 July numbers for KEF:

Departing 299,382 arriving 307,650 transferring 481,175 total 1,088,718 change to June 2017 16.9 %

Year today
Departing 1,343,054 arriving 1,348,720 transferring 1,667,733 total 4,360,082 change to 2017 15,5 %

Someone83

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:10 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

Departing 299,382 arriving 307,650 transferring 481,175 total 1,088,718 change to June 2017 16.9 %

Year today
Departing 1,343,054 arriving 1,348,720 transferring 1,667,733 total 4,360,082 change to 2017 15,5 %

Guess you mean June?

Bostrom

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:49 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I notice that on 28 May, the Swedish Transport Administration changes to the public service obligation applying to routes from Stockholm to Hahfors, Sveg and Torsby as well as the Lulea-Pajala route.

As these routes weren't affected by Nextjet's bankruptcy, does anyone know what is changing and why ?

Where did you notice that? I haven't heard anything and I wasn't able to find anything online, having tried a couple of different Google searches.

Bostrom

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Anyone know what is happening with routes from Stockholm to Arvidsjaur and Gallivare ? After Nextjet went bankrupt the two PSO routes stopped - although other former Nextjet PSO routes to Hemavan, Kramfors, Lycksele and Vilhelmina resumed pretty quickly. From Arvidsjaur a 2 hour bus ride to Skelleftea airport is the only option right now while Gallivare passengers fly to/from Kiruna

Are these ywo routes going to resume (once PSO bidding has gone through all the process) or are the Swedish Transport Administration either trying to kill the routes through low PSO subsidy or having difficulty finding airline bidding for the PSO contracts ?

The routes will resume, but for legal reasons the process will take longer for the Gällivare and Arvidsjaur routes.

mjoelnir

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

Year today

Of course the June numbers. Sorry for the mistake.

Nami

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 am

In a recent press event Tony Fernandes said that AirAsia X has its sights on a route from DMK to ARN.

On a side note if they would just finish the rail projects around Don Mueang already, that would be great.

On Thursday, Fernandes told reporters that when two more leased jets arrive in April 2019, the Thai arm will launch new flights from Bangkok to Prague, Vienna and Stockholm.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-aira ... SKBN1KA060

fessor

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:22 am

According to danish travel media check-in QR will add 4 extra weekly flights to CPH bringing the weekly total up to 18 flights all on Boeing 77W

https://www.check-in.dk/qatar-airways-u ... oebenhavn/

QuawerAir

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:44 am

fessor wrote:
According to danish travel media check-in QR will add 4 extra weekly flights to CPH bringing the weekly total up to 18 flights all on Boeing 77W

Wow! 1x daily EK with A380 and 18x weekly QR with 77W. What's next? Etihad Airways or additional flights from EK? Hopefully, QR will switch the 2nd daily DOH-HEL service from A320 to 787 soon.

Someone83

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:51 am

fessor wrote:

Isn’t this just for September?

cityairline

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:18 pm

So I already created a dedicated thread for it, but QR yesterday made it official that GOT will be launched 5 x weekly onboard the 787, starting December 12.

QR173 DOH0155 - GOT0635 1xx4xx7
QR177 DOH0820 - GOT1300 xx3xx6x

QR174 GOT0805 - DOH1610 1xx4xx7
QR178 GOT1510 - DOH2315 xx3xx6x

I find it interesting that they expect Norwegian salmon to be a major part of the outbound cargo here. Isn't the belly cargo capacity on the OSL-flights and a dedicated Cargo flight enough?

JetBuddy wrote:

Turkish, Iran Air and Qatar.. they're all after the diaspora / immigrant market.

Here in GOT:
Iran Air, 99% yes!
Turkish, pretty much, but definitely not all, around 60-70%.
Qatar, not so much. The majority will be Swedish leisure traffic heading for Southeast Asia/Australia/NZ/Africa.

fessor wrote:

WOW! Qatar is really becoming fierce in the Nordic market, and especially CPH!

Nami

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:26 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Hopefully, QR will switch the 2nd daily DOH-HEL service from A320 to 787 soon.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see that, but looking at the statistics they are having a hard time filling even the current mix of aircraft now in the summer season and in addition FZ will soon come to steal a part of the market. But then again being state-subsidized they don’t need to care about profitability so much.
Last edited by Nami on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

QuawerAir

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Nami wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
Hopefully, QR will switch the 2nd daily DOH-HEL service from A320 to 787 soon.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see that, but looking at the statistics they are having a hard time filling even the current mix of aircraft now in the summer season and in addition FZ will soon come to steal a part of the market. But then again being state-subsidized they don’t need to care about profitability so much.

Yeah, the summer season is indeed harder than winter for QR. At least during the winter season, QR could fly double daily to HEL with wide-body aircraft. Last year the LF of DOH-HEL route was 82.5%, which was pretty much compared to CPH (74,8%) and ARN (71.3%).

Source for stats: eurostat

armchairceonr1

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:14 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Yeah, the summer season is indeed harder than winter for QR. At least during the winter season, QR could fly double daily to HEL with wide-body aircraft. Last year the LF of DOH-HEL route was 82.5%, which was pretty much compared to CPH (74,8%) and ARN (71.3%).

Source for stats: eurostat

Last year was very different. QR had much less capacity most of the year and after that TK have also increased capacity and FZ is coming to party..

davidjohnson6

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Bostrom wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Where did you notice that? I haven't heard anything and I wasn't able to find anything online, having tried a couple of different Google searches.

PSO notices from the EU - https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/ai ... ket/pso_en (full list for all routes)
The information notice is from 28-May-2018 for the change to the Stockholm-Hagfors/Sveg/Torsby and Lulea-Pajala

Nami

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 pm

Moreover, the company is also working to connect Cebu to two European routes with Turkish Airlines and Finnair.

https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/ce ... ct-flights

Not that that means anything in itself, but it would be nice to see some more leisure destinations to the east in addition to the rather mundane ones like KBV and HKT. They’ve mentioned DPS before but that’s a long way away and fuel prices going up must speak against it. And then of course there are the usual issues starting from what destinations are even made possible by Russian overflight permissions and so on.

b735

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 am

MEA will expand it's summer service to CPH to year round.

From winter schedule they will offer three weekly CPH-BEY flights using A320 equipment:

ME 225 257 BEY CPH 2 1430 1750 0 28OCT18 29MAR19 320 4:20
ME 226 257 CPH 2 BEY 1850 2350 0 28OCT18 29MAR19 320 4:00

Bostrom

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:01 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Bostrom wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
I notice that on 28 May, the Swedish Transport Administration changes to the public service obligation applying to routes from Stockholm to Hagfors, Sveg and Torsby as well as the Lulea-Pajala route.

PSO notices from the EU - https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/ai ... ket/pso_en (full list for all routes)
The information notice is from 28-May-2018 for the change to the Stockholm-Hagfors/Sveg/Torsby and Lulea-Pajala

Thank you! It's not that exciting, just an extension. The current PSOs expire in 2019, but Trafikverket has decided to extend them another period until 2023.

QuawerAir

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:33 am

Nami wrote:
Moreover, the company is also working to connect Cebu to two European routes with Turkish Airlines and Finnair.

https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/ce ... ct-flights

Not that that means anything in itself, but it would be nice to see some more leisure destinations to the east in addition to the rather mundane ones like KBV and HKT. They’ve mentioned DPS before but that’s a long way away and fuel prices going up must speak against it. And then of course there are the usual issues starting from what destinations are even made possible by Russian overflight permissions and so on.

Cebu (and Philippines in general) sounds good. Also, it would be great to see flights to other Asian leisure destinations such as Maldives and Colombo, the latter of which AY has previously operated to.

Efhkspotter

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 am

OH-LZU, 19th A321 for Finnair will be delivered today.

Kikko19

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Tk going 10 weekly ist-tll, i guess after the new Ist apt will be open.

cityairline

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
Tk going 10 weekly ist-tll, i guess after the new Ist apt will be open.

As well as IST-RIX and IST-VNO. Seems like all three Baltic capitals will go from 7 to 10 weekly!

But that’s not Nordic so...

Kikko19

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:51 pm

;} yep not so nordic. This year should have started also Qr to TLL. And sooner than later I guess flydubay will start to serve that area as well, likely feeding EK to Asia.

TR

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
fessor wrote:

Wow! 1x daily EK with A380 and 18x weekly QR with 77W. What's next? Etihad Airways or additional flights from EK? Hopefully, QR will switch the 2nd daily DOH-HEL service from A320 to 787 soon.

I believe the 4 new weekly flights will be with B788. The existing two daily flights will be 77Ws.

Nami

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:03 pm

TR wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
fessor wrote:

I believe the 4 new weekly flights will be with B788. The existing two daily flights will be 77Ws.

And I believe the four additional weekly flights are only for September and October, at least according to QR's current schedule. So not a permanent change for the coming winter season.

The thing with QR is that you can never be sure about possible further aircraft changes...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos