Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Obzerva

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 am

NTLDaz wrote:
Today's Newcastle clue is a NEW vibrant bar scene. So sunshine, beaches and a new vibrant bar scene. Leaning towards Perth.

Their FB post says no-one has guessed it yet so that would defo knock out ADL, DPS and NAN.

Not sure of the significance of NEW being capitalised.

Well if NEW is in caps, then it's clearly SB starting flights :shock: :)

Boof

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:23 am

Obzerva wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
Today's Newcastle clue is a NEW vibrant bar scene. So sunshine, beaches and a new vibrant bar scene. Leaning towards Perth.

Their FB post says no-one has guessed it yet so that would defo knock out ADL, DPS and NAN.

That was one of the guesses on Facebook today I noticed!

Cairns has a new and vibrant bar scene and things are happening up there.

I haven't looked into this with enough detail to see if this is possible but I'm wondering if this isn't a rejig of one of the JQ A320's based in CNS to provide a NTL service? It fits the clues that it's new, beaches, & bar scene.

TSV-DPS is ending in March, and that is operated by a CNS based A320 and Tech Crew. Currently the aircraft routing is CNS-DPS-TSV-BNE-TSV-DPS-CNS. If a BNE based aircraft takes the TSV and return service, and a rejig of the DPS times out of CNS there is bandwidth for a NTL service??

I dunno but it is fun to guess!

USAOZ

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 am

Boof wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

That was one of the guesses on Facebook today I noticed!

Cairns has a new and vibrant bar scene and things are happening up there.

I haven't looked into this with enough detail to see if this is possible but I'm wondering if this isn't a rejig of one of the JQ A320's based in CNS to provide a NTL service? It fits the clues that it's new, beaches, & bar scene.

TSV-DPS is ending in March, and that is operated by a CNS based A320 and Tech Crew. Currently the aircraft routing is CNS-DPS-TSV-BNE-TSV-DPS-CNS. If a BNE based aircraft takes the TSV and return service, and a rejig of the DPS times out of CNS there is bandwidth for a NTL service??

back in 2001/2 I think it was, Freedom(Air NZ) flew NTL/AKL. think it was a couple of flights a week. When they pulled out(might have been when Freedom closed down) charters were looked at using Tongan 752, but the instigators got no local support at NTL so plan was scuttled.

Can't think of anything worse than making my way from NTL to SYD just to get to NZL.

PA515

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 am

It's definitely NTL-ADL but who is operating the flight is not in the google intro.

Google 'Newcastle Airport new route 2018' and you get this:
INTRODUCING OUR NEW DESTINATION
From March 2018 Newcastle Airport will begin Adelaide direct service, giving the people of the Hunter a gateway to the state's significant commercial hub, along with world-famous luxury accommodation, food and wine regions such as the Barossa and McLean Vale, and .....

However, the link has now been deleted. https://www.newcastleairport.com.au/new-route

PA515

NTLDaz

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 am

PA515 wrote:
It's definitely NTL-ADL but who is operating the flight is not in the google intro.

From March 2018 Newcastle Airport will begin Adelaide direct service, giving the people of the Hunter a gateway to the state's significant commercial hub, along with world-famous luxury accommodation, food and wine regions such as the Barossa and McLean Vale, and .....

However, the link has now been deleted. https://www.newcastleairport.com.au/new-route

Not too sure that's legit. New clue just posted.

PSSST! Clue time: Our newest destination has inspired the name of many a cocktail. Is it happy hour yet???

PA515

NTLDaz

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:17 am

PA515 wrote:

PSSST! Clue time: Our newest destination has inspired the name of many a cocktail. Is it happy hour yet???

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:25 am

NTLDaz wrote:
PA515 wrote:

It is also placing an emphasis on the letter B

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/9 ... 3617742849

NTLDaz

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am

The clues are all over the shop. Maybe someone at NTL is having a bit of fun.

It'll probably end up something boring. I can tell you they've managed to get people in Newy talking.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 am

NTLDaz wrote:
PA515 wrote:

Surely that has to Bali? Bali Hai is the only cocktail I can think of that is named after a destination that could be reasonably flown from NTL.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:32 am

I actually think this ADL rumor could have legs, but that isn’t the route announcement that the social media team are focussing on. I wouldn’t be surprised to see two announcements shortly.

zkncj

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:48 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
PA515 wrote:

Surely that has to Bali? Bali Hai is the only cocktail I can think of that is named after a destination that could be reasonably flown from NTL.

SIN? Could an 77E or 332 use NTL? SQ is known not to be 100% happy with loads ex-CBR could they be routing the SIN-CBR-WLG service? Could it become WLG-NTL-SIN?

qf2220

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:48 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
National Jet got taken over by Cobham Aviation and rebranded, but for some reason Qantas still refers to them as National Jet and not Cobham even though that is incorrect.

Ive always been of the understanding that National Jet Systems is the subsidiary that owns the 717s. Cobham, which is not owned by QF, provides the crews to NJS on an outsource basis, and I think the maintenance too. Cobham is a UK listed entity that does a range of things in the aviation sector.
Last edited by qf2220 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

qf2048

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:49 am

Noticed today on Flightradar MH 122 operated by A380. From the MH flight status page tonight's SYD-KUL is cancelled.

As for the A320's operating as Qantaslink I speculate they will operate a lot of those FIFO flights in WA. If you read the Qantas Source most days there is mention of 737's on FIFO routes from Perth to places like Ginbata.

Obzerva

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 am

NTLDaz wrote:
PA515 wrote:

ok so if we're running with cocktail theme, it's Chicago Fizz, so QF is obviously announcing a dreamliner service NTL-ORD (in lieu of the expected BNE-ORD) :rotfl:

NTLDaz

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 am

zkncj wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

SIN? Could an 77E or 332 use NTL? SQ is known not to be 100% happy with loads ex-CBR could they be routing the SIN-CBR-WLG service? Could it become WLG-NTL-SIN?

Definitely could. NTL uses RAAF Williamtown and has a fairly long runway. It's one of ( if not the most ) major airforce bases in Australia. It'll be home to the 'fantastic' JSF.

ben175

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:29 am

The cocktail clue has to be SIN... but SIN isn't necessarily a beach destination.

SIN-NTL on Scoot?

I was really hoping for PER.

qf002

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:31 am

The new route will obviously be NTL-BDB, connecting Australia's thriving bogan centres.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 am

ben175 wrote:
The cocktail clue has to be SIN... but SIN isn't necessarily a beach destination.

SIN-NTL on Scoot?

I was really hoping for PER.

Sentosa? Not the first thing that comes to mind about Singapore but there are beaches.

If it’s SIN it would surely have to be Scoot.

NTLDaz

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:50 am

qf002 wrote:
The new route will obviously be NTL-BDB, connecting Australia's thriving bogan centres.

Very constructive comment.

zkncj

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:50 am

Could the route be an XXX-NTL-XXX-NTL-XXX rotation? they seem to have played an bit with the A-B-C logic in the clues?

Beaches at one end, and bars at the other?

MooLor

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:54 am

Cocktail-themed possibilities from the index of my UK-published cocktail book:

Singapore Sling
Harvey (Bay) Wallbanger
Blue Hawaiian
Kowloon
Sundowner (Perth, sunset over the ocean)

Of course if there's a 'Bali Bogan' or a 'Phuket Phissup' cocktail they won't be in this book. :D

waoz1

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 am

Could be Perth
Some do consider Emu Export a cocktail :spin:

jman

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 am

Boof wrote:

[/quote]

Actually, the TSV-DPS is operated by a BNE based A320 and a mixed Tech Crew. The Aircraft does BNE-TSV-DPS-TSV-BNE. The day the flight leaves it will do a few sectors out of Brisbane and then the day it arrives back in Brisbane it does a 2 sector flight out of Brisbane after lunch time

vhqpa

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:46 am

RE: NJS/Cobham Names

According to their AOC their registered name is "National Jet Systems Pty. ltd." but trade as "Cobham Aviation Services Australia" I'm guessing that is the reason "Operated by National Jet Systems" appears on QF boarding passes.

https://www.casa.gov.au/search_aoc/National%20jet%20systems

RE: NTL guessing game

I'm stumped. I'm leaning more towards DPS than anything else. With the cocktail clue the first thing that came to my mind was Singapore (Sling) but then SIN isn't really known for its beaches. The only other well known locale named cocktails I can think of are Long Island Ice Tea and Manhattan. But that's not going to happen.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 am

vhqpa wrote:
RE: NJS/Cobham Names

According to their AOC their registered name is "National Jet Systems Pty. ltd." but trade as "Cobham Aviation Services Australia" I'm guessing that is the reason "Operated by National Jet Systems" appears on QF boarding passes.

https://www.casa.gov.au/search_aoc/National%20jet%20systems

RE: NTL guessing game

I'm stumped. I'm leaning more towards DPS than anything else. With the cocktail clue the first thing that came to my mind was Singapore (Sling) but then SIN isn't really known for its beaches. The only other well known locale named cocktails I can think of are Long Island Ice Tea and Manhattan. But that's not going to happen.

Good to know re JTE. I knew that National Jet was a separate company that was acquired by Cobham, but didn’t realise that their name wasn’t legally changed. That makes perfect sense.

Re cocktails, my immediate thought was Cuba Libre but felt that NTL-HAV was slightly far fetched!

Boof

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:58 am

jman wrote:
Boof wrote:

Actually, the TSV-DPS is operated by a BNE based A320 and a mixed Tech Crew. The Aircraft does BNE-TSV-DPS-TSV-BNE. The day the flight leaves it will do a few sectors out of Brisbane and then the day it arrives back in Brisbane it does a 2 sector flight out of Brisbane after lunch time

A based aircraft isn't registration specific... however I'm not one for arguing online so I'm happy to stand corrected.

Regardless of where the aircraft comes from with the TSV-DPS being dropped there is about 12 hours of A320 flying disappearing soon and an NTL-DPS-NTL route would soak that up nicely.

Boof

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:04 am

Looks like the B is Adelaide.... This was shared on a Newcastle Cyclists forum, I was searching for the NTL page and just found this.

NTLDaz

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 am

Boof wrote:

Looks like the B is Adelaide.... This was shared on a Newcastle Cyclists forum, I was searching for the NTL page and just found this.

There's one that says Perth as well out there.

Some mischief making going on.

Boof

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:11 am

NTLDaz wrote:
There's one that says Perth as well out there.

Some mischief making going on.

The NTL social media team are having a field day on this. Good on them too, it's an interesting study in how quick things will spread.

jman

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 am

Boof wrote:
jman wrote:
Boof wrote:

A based aircraft isn't registration specific... however I'm not one for arguing online so I'm happy to stand corrected.

Regardless of where the aircraft comes from with the TSV-DPS being dropped there is about 12 hours of A320 flying disappearing soon and an NTL-DPS-NTL route would soak that up nicely.

All the aircraft rotate throughout the various bases every week, but the TSV-DPS always starts and ends in brisbane and gets crewed by Brisbane crew. Its more of 18 hours of A320 flying because it starts in Brisbane before going to Townsville and ends in Brisbane after leaving Townsville. The Brisbane aircraft schedule is based around that aircraft not being available to Brisbane flights 18 hours every few days, and on the days it doesn't do the TSV-DPS it does other routes to keep up the fleet utilisation

TN486

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:17 am

With this new route from NTL. Could it be somewhere op north on the WA coastline? The op would be JQ.

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Looks like QF96 (VH-ZNA), Departure Fri has gone tech, now scheduled to depart Saturday at 630pm

qf2220

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 pm

I can't make sense of the cocktail reference. ..

zkncj

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:17 am

Boof wrote:

NTL-ADL-SIN? on Singapore Airlines or Scoot?

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:16 am

Today's QF95 MEL-LAX has been cancelled due to VH-ZNA still being in LAX

IndianicWorld

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 am

qf789 wrote:

This will likely just become even more challenging once the MEL-PER-LHR service starts.

The operational pattern for the 4 aircraft will be interesting to see how it plays out.

planemanofnz

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 am

According to this link, it is DPS?

From March 2018 Newcastle Airport will begin a Bali direct service, giving the people of the Hunter a gateway to Paradise! Experience rich culture, exotic food, volcanic mountains, tropical beaches and coral reefs ...

See: https://www.newcastleairport.com.au/new-route.

PER has also been suggested:

Based on the destination inspiring cocktails, ADL and PER would not be it?

Could an MI 737 MAX service work, from SIN? Perhaps via BME or CNS?

Cheers,

C.

PA515

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:53 am

qf2220 wrote:
I can't make sense of the cocktail reference. ..

The name of the Newcastle Airport CEO is Cock, and this is a PR stunt, or Cocktale?

The various 'clues' could apply to either NAN, DPS or AKL which are the same three destinations Mr Cock recently said he was negotiating flights to.

PA515

NTLDaz

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:51 am

LAST CLUE: Our newest destination’s reputation precedes it. Dripping in gold and down the way, the epicurean will delight here. ....But can you guess where?

Looking like ADL - how very boring. My only hope is there will be multiple announcements.

EK413

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
qf789 wrote:

This will likely just become even more challenging once the MEL-PER-LHR service starts.

The operational pattern for the 4 aircraft will be interesting to see how it plays out.

That’s going to be very interesting. Obviously the MEL-LAX, MEL-SFO bound pax re-accom on SYD-SFO & redirect the inbound B789 from LHR-PER-MEL back to PER-LHR.

EK413

planemanofnz

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:43 am

NTLDaz wrote:
My only hope is there will be multiple announcements.

Indeed - like, NTL - ADL (- PER) on FlyPelican, as well as, say SIN - NTL (- AKL / - NAN) on Scoot, both being revealed together.

Another possibility could be DOH - ADL / DPS / SIN - NTL on Qatar - they are expanding to secondary cities (like CWL and PEN).

If it is indeed ADL, then a lot of questions will be asked about the likes of the cocktail reference - IMHO, not an appropriate clue.

Cheers,

C.

qf2220

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 am

NTLDaz wrote:
LAST CLUE: Our newest destination’s reputation precedes it. Dripping in gold and down the way, the epicurean will delight here. ....But can you guess where?

Looking like ADL - how very boring. My only hope is there will be multiple announcements.

We need someone who is good at cryptic crosswords. Id say Gold Coast but that doesnt fit with the restaurants suggested here or the cocktail? And what is with the double space after gold??

Boof

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 am

jman wrote:
All the aircraft rotate throughout the various bases every week, but the TSV-DPS always starts and ends in brisbane and gets crewed by Brisbane crew. Its more of 18 hours of A320 flying because it starts in Brisbane before going to Townsville and ends in Brisbane after leaving Townsville. The Brisbane aircraft schedule is based around that aircraft not being available to Brisbane flights 18 hours every few days, and on the days it doesn't do the TSV-DPS it does other routes to keep up the fleet utilisation

I checked the schedules before posting last time and the BNE-TSV service of an evening and return of a morning is being retimed and new flight number but it's not going away. It will still be double daily each day hence why I'm saying there are about 12 hours of flying to fill regardless of where the crew or aircraft is based.

NTLDaz wrote:

There is a little music clue in this one but not sure it helps with the destination:
Dripping with Gold = Flight Facilites (song is a Crave You)
Down the Way = Angus & Julia Stone's album that featured Big Jet Plane.

Epicurean could be Perth as that is the restaurant at Crown, but could be a foodie thing and lead to Adelaide.

The cocktails have really thrown me here, as has the beach. I'm wondering if this isn't Scoot to Singapore... Sentosa being the beach.

I'm still thinking Cairns is a big chance too. All revealed tomorrow and well played the NTL Social Media, especially the web links that are showing PER, ADL and DPS. Very, very clever!

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

EK413 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
qf789 wrote:

That’s going to be very interesting. Obviously the MEL-LAX, MEL-SFO bound pax re-accom on SYD-SFO & redirect the inbound B789 from LHR-PER-MEL back to PER-LHR.

EK413

Yes sounds about right, was thinking the same thing

jman

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 am

Boof wrote:
jman wrote:

I checked the schedules before posting last time and the BNE-TSV service of an evening and return of a morning is being retimed and new flight number but it's not going away. It will still be double daily each day hence why I'm saying there are about 12 hours of flying to fill regardless of where the crew or aircraft is based.

Actually, it is two flights a day 4 times a week, and 3 flights a day 3 days a week. The flight that leaves 3 days a week (which is a tag flight that becomes the TSV-DPS) is the flight being cancelled. And at present, the late night flight returns immediately to Brisbane arriving just after midnight, so i'd hardly call it a return of morning flight. The morning TSV flight and evening TSV flight are flown by two different aircraft, so there isn't actually about 12 hours of flying to fill, and the only reason the crew and aircraft based part was brought up was because it was stated that the TSV-DPS was crewed by CNS crew, which was incorrect which i pointed out.

CraigAnderson

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 am

planemanofnz wrote:

Why is the NTL social media team using that old photo of Richard Branson in drag? :P LOL

But yes 'very well played' of them to plant fake pages regarding a number of destinations, this seems to deliberately target the curiously minded avgeeks!

planemanofnz

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:48 am

MooLor wrote:
Singapore

RyanairGuru wrote:
Singapore

vhqpa wrote:
Singapore

zkncj wrote:
Singapore

Boof wrote:
Singapore

MI has recently added the 737 MAX 8, which has an estimated maximum range of 3515 nm (6509 km) - NTL - SIN is only 3393 nm.

IMHO, an MI service to NTL would make sense:

- MI already serves secondary Australia (CNS and DRW), will launch BME later this year, and has considered similar ports too (KTA)
- A wide-body would be too much plane for such a service, without incentives, a tag and/or some other development (ruling out TR)
- While DXB is well placed for Europe connections, SIN is well placed for Australian ones - the SQ Group is exploiting this (e.g. CBR)

PR has said that it will put the A321 NEO on MEL - MNL (the same distance as NTL - SIN) - technology now facilitates such routes.

If successful, we may see MI expand to elsewhere in regional Australia (AYQ, HBA, MCY and TSV), as a tool to compete with the ME3.

:stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Cheers,

C.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 pm

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

EK413

Yes sounds about right, was thinking the same thing

QF96 was orginally delayed due to a faulty toilet, once it was fixed the crew timed out, hence the delay overnight

Boof

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Today is the day for NTL!! I'm actually excited about this thanks to the social media build up...

jman wrote:
Actually, it is two flights a day 4 times a week, and 3 flights a day 3 days a week. The flight that leaves 3 days a week (which is a tag flight that becomes the TSV-DPS) is the flight being cancelled. And at present, the late night flight returns immediately to Brisbane arriving just after midnight, so i'd hardly call it a return of morning flight. The morning TSV flight and evening TSV flight are flown by two different aircraft, so there isn't actually about 12 hours of flying to fill, and the only reason the crew and aircraft based part was brought up was because it was stated that the TSV-DPS was crewed by CNS crew, which was incorrect which i pointed out.

Seems we have a differing opinion and have different information about a few of these things. I'm not losing any sleep over this, and as I mentioned earlier I'm not going to argue so let's leave it. Thanks for engaging in the discussion.

planemanofnz wrote:
MI has recently added the 737 MAX 8, which has an estimated maximum range of 3515 nm (6509 km) - NTL - SIN is only 3393 nm.

Norwegian run the MAX8 on the SWF-BGO route and that is 3004NM. I'm not sure if D8 have a weight restriction on this route even for the MAX but it is one of the furthest routes D8 use the MAX on.
Last edited by Boof on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A350OZ

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Re NTL's new route, my final guess is DPS. I would say nonstop but not sure who would operate it as it seems too long for a JQ A320.

So maybe JQ doing something like NTL-CNS/DRW-DPS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos