Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A350OZ

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 am

mariner wrote:
I'm sure, but I think the way they're doing it has commercial risk. Maybe if they can sell NTL as a beach destination or as "a gateway to the beaches" of the central coast they'll pick up good tourist traffic, but I can't think that there will be a lot of business pax.

Hey, I've been wrong before and I wish 'em well. It isn't the first break-out route I would have tried, though.
mariner

Oh absolutely there is risk, but it's FlyPelican taking it, not Alliance, that was my point.

I absolutely wish them well and hopefully they can make it work.

Flyingsottsman

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:32 am

Hi every one, the other week I was looking at evening take offs and landings at Melbourne Airport, at the end of the you tube video there was a Polar Air cargo and a Singapore Airlines cargo in but I also noticed a BAe 146 freighter in it was front on so I did not see the airline. My question is who runs a BAe 146 freighter into Melbourne and where do they come from and where do they fly out to?

BAeRJ100

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Flyingsottsman wrote:
I also noticed a BAe 146 freighter in it was front on so I did not see the airline. My question is who runs a BAe 146 freighter into Melbourne and where do they come from and where do they fly out to?

It would be either Cobham (operating on behalf of Qantas Freight) or Pionair (on behalf of Virgin Australia). Both operate to ADL, SYD and BNE from MEL.

EDIT: I think I've found the video you're talking about (146 visible at the very end). That's VH-SIF, one of the Pionair birds.

XAM2175

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:20 pm

qf789 wrote:
No Alliance will operate the route on behalf of FlyPelican using the F70/100

I have my doubts as to its viability but if nothing else it's an opportunity for many of us to get QQ and a Fokker or two into our logbooks without having to go as far out of the way as might otherwise be the case :p

Could picture making a bit of a trip of it actually... Newcastle (well, Wickham now) to Sydney's a nice ride by rail and and if you have a soft spot in your heart for longer train trips then you've got the Overland on ADL-MEL and the Indian Pacific on ADL-SYD via Broken Hill and Parkes.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:07 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
No Alliance will operate the route on behalf of FlyPelican using the F70/100

I have my doubts as to its viability but if nothing else it's an opportunity for many of us to get QQ and a Fokker or two into our logbooks without having to go as far out of the way as might otherwise be the case :p

Could picture making a bit of a trip of it actually... Newcastle (well, Wickham now) to Sydney's a nice ride by rail and and if you have a soft spot in your heart for longer train trips then you've got the Overland on ADL-MEL and the Indian Pacific on ADL-SYD via Broken Hill and Parkes.

I was thinking of getting to central Queensland at some point to find a Fokker 70 operating VA RPT services (BNE-ROK, BNE-GLT etc) but now you’ve mentioned it CBR-NTL-ADL with FlyPelican sounds quite enticing as it would tick off the J31 and Fokker in one go. All due respect to Rockhampton (I really do like the city!) Adelaide would make a nice weekend destination.

DeltaB717

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:19 pm

QF's B789 VH-ZNC has been delivered, contractually and physically, and is currently positioning to MEL as QF6026. ETA 2309hrs this evening at this stage.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHZ ... /KPAE/YMML

CraigAnderson

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Bye-bye, Capital Express: SQ drops Wellington from CBR, converts CBR to daily Boeing 777-300ER with a Sydney stopover, adds new Singapore-Melbourne-Wellington service!
https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airl ... ly-flights

FromCDGtoSYD

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:05 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Bye-bye, Capital Express: SQ drops Wellington from CBR, converts CBR to daily Boeing 777-300ER with a Sydney stopover, adds new Singapore-Melbourne-Wellington service!

No cabotage rights for the SYD-CBR I suppose ?

downdata

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:12 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Well this didnt last very long...

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
CBR to daily Boeing 777-300ER with a Sydney stopover

Interesting. I wonder how this will affect the power dynamics between QR and SQ within the CBR market?

SQ will still have a one-way non-stop flight, and now, greater frequencies and a more improved hard product.

However, the stop in SYD in-bound is a bummer, and brings SQ down to the same level as QR one-way. :cry:

Cheers,

C.

A350OZ

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 am

downdata wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I didn't expect this. But from SQ's perspective I think this is very much about overall optimisation of the network:

MEL: gains a flight to WLG
WLG: no change really for WLG-SIN. local traffic on WLG-MEL will be larger than WLG-CBR, so makes sense
CBR: looses connection to WLG, looses non-stop from SIN; gains daily frequency though
SYD: Gains another SIN flight; even the CBR stop on the outbound makes some sense, as it allow SQ to leave late just before the curfew, without arriving in SIN in the middle of the night.

So the only ones truly losing out with this change are WLG-CBR travellers, and I guess this was always the weakest link in the CapitalExpress experiment.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:37 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Flight schedule changes

SQ288 SIN1030-2010SYD2120-2220CBR2315-515+1SIN 77W D

SQ247 SIN1945-510+1MEL700-1220 772 x236
SQ248 WLG1345-1530MEL1650-2245SIN 772 x134

SQ247/248 existing service to MEL will be retimed and equipment swapped from A333 to 772

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:56 am

QF's next 789 VH-ZND has rolled out of final assembly overnight, first flight is scheduled for 31 January, I suspect painting of this aircraft may be done in PDX rather than PAE, delivery is expected 26th of Feb

Qantas 789 VH-ZNC (Quokka) departing on delivery flight

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/955925286402506752

smi0006

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:00 am

A350OZ wrote:
downdata wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I didn't expect this. But from SQ's perspective I think this is very much about overall optimisation of the network:

WLG: no change really for WLG-SIN. local traffic on WLG-MEL will be larger than WLG-CBR, so makes sense
CBR: looses connection to WLG, looses non-stop from SIN; gains daily frequency though
SYD: Gains another SIN flight; even the CBR stop on the outbound makes some sense, as it allow SQ to leave late just before the curfew, without arriving in SIN in the middle of the night.

So the only ones truly losing out with this change are WLG-CBR travellers, and I guess this was always the weakest link in the CapitalExpress experiment.

I wonder how NZ feel about this? SQ encroaching on their WLG turf. Wonder if they will codeshare?

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:06 am

A couple of management changes at QF

Olivia Wirth will step in as new CEO for loyalty
Vanessa Hudson will take the role of Chief Customer Officer

Changes effective 12 Feb 18

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... r-officer/

brucetiki

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 am

NTLDaz wrote:
brucetiki wrote:
vhqpa wrote:
After all the hype I'm a bit underwhelmed that it turned out to be 3 weekly link to ADL. No disrespect for ADL I travel there every now and then and always enjoy my visits. Someone asked about the cocktail clue and the social media team replied with a link to "The Adelaide Metropolitan" not exactly what I'd call well known. Adelaide does have nice beaches, but then so does Newcastle. I wish Fly Pelican all the best and hope it's a success for them, but on the NTL Facebook page à lot of people have already started bitching about ticket prices so I have my doubts.

https://www.fritzmag.com.au/south-australian-cocktail-of-the-week-the-adelaide-metropolitan/

$250 each way is quite steep - it'd be much cheaper to fly to SYD and get the train to Newcastle (even with the access charges at SYD).

Interestingly I noted a train fare from Newcastle to Central is much, much cheaper than a train fare from SYD Domestic to Central!

It's about $80 - 90 more than a flight from Sydney ( checked dates around the start of service ). Yes it is cheaper even including the train fare. However the train from Sydney to Newcastle will take 2 1/2 hours and then you've got to lug your bags across to the suburban platforms and then train to the airport.

I guess the question is how much is your time and convenience worth.

As for the cheaper train fares that's because in NSW ( Sydney Trains ) there is a maximum fare. Once that's reached it doesn't matter how far the trip. For example you can travel from Scone to Goulburn ( over 500kms ) for about 8 bucks.

For us plane nuts, we'd do it for the hell of it right :D

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:16 am

After announcing a service from NTL to ADL, NTL airport Chief Executive is now hoping this flight will boost its appeal to attract international destinations such as AKL, NAN, SIN or DPS. Domestically PER, HBA and CNS have been named as possible future routes from NTL as well

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/51823 ... the-limit/

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 am

A350OZ wrote:
So the only ones truly losing out with this change are WLG-CBR travellers.

Those going to CBR are losing out, having to endure a SYD stop-over.

No amount of frequency or hard product improvement changes that.

Cheers,

C.

A350OZ

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 am

planemanofnz wrote:
A350OZ wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I beg to differ (my personal opinion): If I have to fly on a certain weekday (Mon, Wed, Fri in this case) then I would take the stop in SYD over a Intl-Domestic connection including luggage retrieval, terminal change and luggage re-check at MEL, SYD or BNE any day.

That's what I meant with "truly" losing out. CBR gains frequency which to some degree offsets the loss of the non-stop inbound. Not for everyone of course.

a7ala

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:53 am

Does anyone know if QF's B717's are international-capable? Maybe a good fit to backfill CBR-WLG?

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 am

a7ala wrote:
Does anyone know if QF's B717's are international-capable? Maybe a good fit to backfill CBR-WLG?

Highly doubtful, as per SQ's comments on CBR - WLG:

"... demand between Wellington and Canberra was limited - at times the flights were so empty that passengers were required to change seats to ensure weight was evenly balanced on take-off"

See: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/100839 ... -melbourne.

Cheers,

C.

a7ala

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:11 am

planemanofnz wrote:
a7ala wrote:

Highly doubtful, as per SQ's comments on CBR - WLG:

"... demand between Wellington and Canberra was limited - at times the flights were so empty that passengers were required to change seats to ensure weight was evenly balanced on take-off"

See: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/100839 ... -melbourne.

Cheers,

C.

Thats not SQ's comments (why would an airline say that?) - I suspect its a one-instance rumour the reporter heard somewhere.

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 am

CI and QF are expanding their code-share agreement to include Premium Economy.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/qantas-expand ... new-a350s/.

Hopefully this will give CI a boost to sustain A350 services to Australia, year-round.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:23 am

a7ala wrote:
Thats not SQ's comments (why would an airline say that?) - I suspect its a one-instance rumour the reporter heard somewhere.

It was noted in the context of an interview with Simon Turcotte, Singapore Airlines' New Zealand Manager.

Irregardless of whether SQ said it or not, BITRE figures confirm that the local demand was far from strong.

It is far more likely that NZ will launch AKL - CBR, with connections to the Americas and the Pacific Islands.

Cheers,

C.

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:23 am

planemanofnz wrote:
A350OZ wrote:

Cheers,

C.

It is actually a big benefit. Several days a week passengers had to fly to SYD anyway, go through customs, change terminals and then sit on an ATR. Daily service with no terminal change and customs in Canberra is much more compelling than the altnernative.

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:29 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
It is actually a big benefit. Several days a week passengers had to fly to SYD anyway, go through customs, change terminals and then sit on an ATR. Daily service with no terminal change and customs in Canberra is much more compelling than the altnernative.

Most days of the week (4 of 7), passengers could fly non-stop, both ways - now, 7 days a week, passengers have to transit one-way, all for the sake of a mere additional 3 frequencies per week? I hardly think that CBR is a frequency-sensitive destination, and IMO, passengers would prefer a more limited, but wholly non-stop arrangement.

Cheers,

C.

HM7

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:44 am

Ive noticed a couple evening departures coupled with the daily qf 747 morning departure from BNE to LAX. Has it always been this way or is this a peak season operation?

DeltaB717

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 am

planemanofnz wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Most days of the week (4 of 7), passengers could fly non-stop, both ways - now, 7 days a week, passengers have to transit one-way, all for the sake of a mere additional 3 frequencies per week? I hardly think that CBR is a frequency-sensitive destination, and IMO, passengers would prefer a more limited, but wholly non-stop arrangement.

Cheers,

C.

In the face of QR starting daily flights in and out of CBR (via SYD in both directions), it is highly likely a 4x weekly SQ service would suffer insofar as connections to Europe, India/subcontinent and Africa. The re-worked SQ schedule gives them the advantage of non-stop in one direction, and a more business friendly departure time at that. I think you'll find this will be generally well-received in CBR (oh, and I live here!).

qf002

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 am

HM7 wrote:
Ive noticed a couple evening departures coupled with the daily qf 747 morning departure from BNE to LAX. Has it always been this way or is this a peak season operation?

Any specific dates?

QF is daily on BNE-LAX all year round, perhaps you saw a delayed departure or a positioning flight to SYD (they have been doing a few of these lately due to rolling disruptions).

xiaotung

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:13 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
A350OZ wrote:

Cheers,

C.

How does this work at SYD? Do you clear immigration, pick up your bags, go through Customs, and go back upstairs to drop off bags, go through passport control and security again? It seems a lot of hassle for the 1 hour 10 min stop.

kriskim

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 am

xiaotung wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

How does this work at SYD? Do you clear immigration, pick up your bags, go through Customs, and go back upstairs to drop off bags, go through passport control and security again? It seems a lot of hassle for the 1 hour 10 min stop.

Pax continuing onwards to CBR are “transit” pax, so they don’t complete customs or quarantine until they reach CBR. The only thing they need to do in SYD is complete security screening, as per normal transit procedures, they will remain airside until they re-board to continue onwards to CBR.

qf2220

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:24 am

Yep pretty well. Though some airlines (mainly QF) have streamlined the baggage part, though you still need to take it through customs (for INT-DOM transfers at least, im not sure for INT-INT but that is not our discussion) which is the main reason for needing to collect your baggage.

qf002

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:25 am

xiaotung wrote:

It will be an airside transit at SYD so just a security check. Immigration and customs will be at CBR.

EK413

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:30 am

Today’s QF19 night stop and rescheduled for tomorrow 11:25.
Therefore, 2 x QF19 services operating on Thursday this is believed due to Mt Mayon eruption.

EK413

ZK-NBT

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:48 am

HM7 wrote:

Are you sure? There is an evening SYD-LAX 2-3 weekly operating for the peak season with a 744. Nothing extra ex BNE AFAIK.

qantas747

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:22 am

planemanofnz wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Cheers,

C.

When a large amount of travel is government, frequency is important. As a high median wage city. Product is important. There are those that have the funds to pay for PE and F and the upgrade for J will surely be welcomed for thr nonstop overnight service.

The inbound stop removes much of the stresses(terminal txfer and the dreaded bus) that Canberrans have been used to over the years. With only 1hr10 on the ground, the short hop will be painless and clearing customs/imm in CBR will be a breeze before heading home for the night.

PM departure from subcontinent and China/Korea/Japan all connect on the inbound as well as lunchtime departures ex Europe. So most of the top 10 inbound destinations are catered for.

Massive win for CBR and will hopefully open up AKL which can now exist with WLG dropped.

eamondzhang

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:25 am

A350OZ wrote:

MEL: gained an additional frequency as well (SQ247/8 runs 3x weekly currently)
WLG: As you said
CBR: Gains daily frequency plus better seats and First Class

Overall I think this change will benefit everyone, CBR included even with the additional stop inbound (as they gained a better seat and more frequency)

Michael

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 am

Just to clarify SQ251/252 is being replaced by SQ288, SYD will go from 33 weekly frequencies to 35

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2018/

Qantas16

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 am

PR has confirmed, via their published timetables, that BNE will go direct from the 25th of March. Still not bookable though. Doesn't specify aircraft type and their are rumours on another forum that it will be operated by A340's as well during the phase in of the A321neo (believe that if you want, I'm skeptical).

See: https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/~ ... .pdf?la=en

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:08 am

CZ equipment change on ADL-CAN, A332 replaces A333 for NS18

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-changes/

FJ expands codeshare with JQ

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -jan-2018/

waoz1

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

qantas747 wrote:
Massive win for CBR

Hardly a "massive win," IMO.

CBR has gone from having four international non-stop flights (SIN - CBR, CBR - SIN, WLG - CBR, CBR - WLG), to one (CBR - SIN).

qantas747 wrote:
When a large amount of travel is government, frequency is important.

For Australian state capitals, yes - for SIN, no. Foreign diplomacy is slower than its domestic counterpart, as well as the private sector.

qantas747 wrote:
As a high median wage city. Product is important.

Not when you have a monopoly on non-stop international services - and even so, IMO, SQ's 772s (hard and soft product) still beat QF.

Cheers,

C.

Obzerva

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 am

It’s still pretty amazing the lengths that SQ has gone to defend “its” turf in Australia the last few years with the onslaught of middle eastern airlines, and the repositioning of the CBR flights demonstrate it.

Still adding frequencies to the major capital cities
Adding new 5 new cities in the last few years, DRW, CNS, CBR, OOL and soon the charters to BME (including subsidiaries)
Continued support of VA
Scoot services along side mainline

Whilst total market share of Australian outbound may have dropped, they continue to put up a fight.

Ellofiend

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Anyone heard anything on the Thai A359's into SYD? Mid-March is all iv'e got

HM7

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:17 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
HM7 wrote:

Are you sure? There is an evening SYD-LAX 2-3 weekly operating for the peak season with a 744. Nothing extra ex BNE AFAIK.

I know for sure there was an evening qf 15 as well as the morning one sometime this past late December or early january. However I don't have any access to the flight history

EK413

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 pm

HM7 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
HM7 wrote:

I know for sure there was an evening qf 15 as well as the morning one sometime this past late December or early january. However I don't have any access to the flight history

You must be referring to the rolling delays QF experienced over the peak Xmas period due to JFK. This resulted in all LAX flights operating well behind schedule for over a week.

EK413
Last edited by EK413 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TN486

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 pm

"Quokka" about 30 mins from MEL descending about 330 ft per min

https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA6026/10367121

qf002

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm

HM7 wrote:

QF15 is the morning flight.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 pm

First clue on the livery for VH-ZND

Close up of the tail

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/956296758698549248

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Qantas 789 VH-ZND at the Everett fuel dock

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/956296666675519488

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos