Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

787Driver
Topic Author

Norwegian receives Russian overflight permits

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Both from CPH and ARN to BKK & ARN-DXB and they will keep applying for more corridors through 2018.

And yes, this is official news but I’m unable to link directly to the source.

jfk777

Re: Norwegian receives Russian overflight permits

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:19 pm

If Norwegian does to Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore what they have done to the USA from Gatwick these are interesting times. Norwegian is flying from LGW to EZE, Asia is a little bit closer. Love what Norwegian is doing, waiting to see the same sized route system to Asia as they do to the Americas.

TC957

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Really hope for LGW - NRT / HND to come to fruition soon.

pompos

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Nice stuff.
Does Norwegian have for their UK airline the same issue with Russian overflights as they have/had for their Scandinavian airline?
AFAIK, the overflight treaty between Russia and the Scandinavian countries limited it to one airline. But that shouldnt apply Norwegian's other AOCs.

Phosphorus

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:14 pm

Who will be the recipient of the royalties Norwegian will pay? Aeroflot, as usual?

HELyes

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:19 pm

HEL-BKK expected I think. Finnair's services to Thailand have grown to 21 weekly departures to BKK/HKT/KBV this winter, a new player would be much welcome.

P.S Writing this on AY A350 somewhere over Russia, route HKT-HEL.

aemoreira1981

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:34 pm

I would hope that permission to HKT is granted soon for a 1x or 2x weekly service from ARN, CPH, and HEL. I also notice that right now, HEL is largely a short-haul hub for Norwegian...can a long-haul operation be built from that airport that would reasonably compete with the oneworld JV? I'm thinking perhaps HEL to India (codesharing with IndiGo or SpiceJet on that end) and Thailand (with a NOK Air codeshare), primarily.

QuawerAir

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:48 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I would hope that permission to HKT is granted soon for a 1x or 2x weekly service from ARN, CPH, and HEL. I also notice that right now, HEL is largely a short-haul hub for Norwegian...can a long-haul operation be built from that airport that would reasonably compete with the oneworld JV? I'm thinking perhaps HEL to India (codesharing with IndiGo or SpiceJet on that end) and Thailand (with a NOK Air codeshare), primarily.

Yeah, I think DY could serve HEL from India (for example Mumbai is one of the main unserved cities in Asia from HEL) and Thailand of course. Also, DY could try Tokyo or other main Asian cities from HEL as demand seems to be pretty good.

Nami

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:50 am

I assume this only means permission to use the airspace of the southern parts of Russia, and Siberia will stay closed for at least two more years based on recent news. So services will most likely be limited to South East Asia (if more permits are to come).

a350lover

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:02 am

They need this so much... as to survive

Someone83

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:21 am

Nami wrote:
I assume this only means permission to use the airspace of the southern parts of Russia, and Siberia will stay closed for at least two more years based on recent news. So services will most likely be limited to South East Asia (if more permits are to come).

Correct, so it is only applies to destinations that don't have to go through Sibir. And it is also so far only for a very Limited amount of routes

bjwonline

Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:57 pm

787Driver wrote:
Both from CPH and ARN to BKK & ARN-DXB and they will keep applying for more corridors through 2018.

Norwegian already fly these routes and have done for some time now. Not sure what is news here, I can't find anything about new permissions being granted recently when searching with google.

787Driver
Topic Author

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:42 am

bjwonline wrote:
787Driver wrote:

Norwegian already fly these routes and have done for some time now. Not sure what is news here, I can't find anything about new permissions being granted recently when searching with google.

Trust me, it is official but it’s internal news. The difference is that they are now able to fly a more direct route rather than flying south of Russia which is quite some detour. New routes likely to follow when they get overflight permits over more corridors.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos