Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

757usairways
Topic Author

Qatar PHL-DOH time changes

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/PHLAirport/s ... gr%5Etweet
Posted from PHLs Twitter that Qatar will now be arriving at PHL in the afternoon rather than the morning flight for better connection opportunities.

enilria

Re: Qatar PHL-DOH time changes

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Probably due to AA code share going away they retired for only DOH connects. I'll be surprised if it survives.

RJNUT

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 pm

it now lines up with the other N. American markets in/out of DOH. It has been the odd ball, timing wise, missing many India connections.

neomax

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Connections? Am I missing something? What's the point of changing times if AA cut ties?

jetsetter629

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 pm

That is great news which allows for plenty more connections as the original schedule was very limited, most notable gap was to South Asia

Corpsnerd09

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 pm

neomax wrote:
Connections? Am I missing something? What's the point of changing times if AA cut ties?

Connections in DOH

Irehdna

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 pm

This will help QR a lot at PHL. I know several in the Philly area who would consider QR until they saw the 12 hour layover they would have in DOH.

I don't know how much of an effect AA had on QR, but I would imagine not as much as providing better DOH connection times.

jasoncrh

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:23 pm

QR will still get plenty of connections from AA at PHL. AA hasn’t suspended their interline agreement. That means you can stil check bags through and get boarding passes issued. QR will definitely still use AA for connections at PHL,m, it’ll just cost them more.

Antarius

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:54 pm

RJNUT wrote:
it now lines up with the other N. American markets in/out of DOH. It has been the odd ball, timing wise, missing many India connections.

Agreed. Was always baffled by this one.

neomax

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Antarius wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Agreed. Was always baffled by this one.

I believe the PHL route in QR's US network was actually specialized to cater to the Arab population hence it was timed differently than the others. I suspect that the retiming of this flight actually has nothing to do with the PHL/AA POS but rather the fact that after the Arab blockade, QR can't rely on Arab traffic and is shifting to pick up South Asia connections to fill in the gap.

winginit

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
QR will still get plenty of connections from AA at PHL. AA hasn’t suspended their interline agreement. That means you can stil check bags through and get boarding passes issued. QR will definitely still use AA for connections at PHL,m, it’ll just cost them more.

It will cost them a lot more though between fare class remappings and a more expensive special prorate agreement.

As others have stated, I doubt we see this route in 2019

acentauri

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Irehdna wrote:
This will help QR a lot at PHL. I know several in the Philly area who would consider QR until they saw the 12 hour layover they would have in DOH.

I don't know how much of an effect AA had on QR, but I would imagine not as much as providing better DOH connection times.

There will now be only a 3.5 hour layover in DOH for the DEL flight. Jersey Indians will flock to this.

usairways85

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Starting 2/1
DOH-PHL
Dep 8am Arr 2:10pm
PHL-DOH
8:15pm Arr 4:35pm

PHL will gain 25 additional destinations via better connections through DOH. PHL local paxs are likely supporting this flight. I can't imagine there are a ton of connections from cities like CVG, JAX, BDL, PVD to non-India destinations in Asia.

crownvic

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:31 am

winginit wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:

It will cost them a lot more though between fare class remappings and a more expensive special prorate agreement.

The belly does well. Don't count the route out!

757usairways
Topic Author

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:38 am

crownvic wrote:
winginit wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:

People have been saying this route is going to end before it even started and it’s been around for 3 years now.

georgiabill

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:00 am

Just curious as to the passenger loads on this flight? How does it stack up against other U.S. destinations for QR? Looking forward to trying QR for BOS in 2018.

usflyer msp

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:52 am

georgiabill wrote:
Just curious as to the passenger loads on this flight? How does it stack up against other U.S. destinations for QR? Looking forward to trying QR for BOS in 2018.

PHL is QR's worst performing NA route but that is largely because of the schedule IMHO. I have flown it twice this year and none of the flights were more than half-full and my DOH-PHL in October had an embarassing 57 pax on an A350. It works for me as I am heading to Africa and SE Asia via DOH but the current PHL-DOH timings have very poor connectivity to South Asia -QR's primary market from NA.

behramjee

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:20 am

usairways85 wrote:
Starting 2/1
DOH-PHL
Dep 8am Arr 2:10pm
PHL-DOH
8:15pm Arr 4:35pm

PHL will gain 25 additional destinations via better connections through DOH. PHL local paxs are likely supporting this flight. I can't imagine there are a ton of connections from cities like CVG, JAX, BDL, PVD to non-India destinations in Asia.

Yes both PHL and EWR local pax will be the main supporters of this rescheduled flight.

Irehdna

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:45 am

acentauri wrote:
Irehdna wrote:

There will now be only a 3.5 hour layover in DOH for the DEL flight. Jersey Indians will flock to this.

Wouldn't assume that, UA/AI already operate from NYC/EWR to DEL nonstop, and for most of the diaspora EWR is closer than PHL. Both have a strong following and arrive at DEL at a decent time, unlike past midnight for connecting on QR.

I will say that besides DEL/BOM QR will win heavily not only in Philly, but also in NJ to perhaps as far as Edison, which is typically equally far by driving time to JFK and PHL.

I think for most of Jersey it would take ME3 nonstop to EWR to seriously challenge the UA dominance on the India market. Keep in mind there are 14 weekly nonstop fights, all of which are decently-timed both ways. UA does not connect well on the India side, so ME3 would perhaps be popular for AMD/HYD passengers.

wenders825

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:53 am

757usairways wrote:
crownvic wrote:
winginit wrote:

People have been saying this route is going to end before it even started and it’s been around for 3 years now.

yes but those 3 years have had AA codeshares

without those...what's sustaining

usairways85

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:10 am

wenders825 wrote:
757usairways wrote:
crownvic wrote:

yes but those 3 years have had AA codeshares

without those...what's sustaining

The PHL metro area of a few million people with no non stops to Asia. I'm not arguing that QR's PHL flight is clearly a poor performer across the US routes, but if the loss of AA codeshares is going to doom this flight, then I'd argue DFW is doomed too. I'd be curious if QR relies on more connections at DFW than they do at PHL.

AA's departure bank is between 8-9am and then 1030-1115, making a DOH-PHL-ABC connection either 30-60 minutes or 3-4 hours.

These are the inbound arrivals from 630-830am that connect to a 9:30 PHL-DOH flight
SAN, LAS, DEN, SFO, SEA, SLC, BDL, MDT, SYR, MHT, PVD, PIT, ALB, RIC, BUF, CLE, SWF, BWI, ISP, LGA, ITH, DCA, DTW, BOS, RDU, SBY, ART, BTV, CHO, PHF, CAE, JAX, IND, CMH, ORD, ATL, BOS, ROC, LAX

I'd cross off SFO, ORD, ATL, LAX, LGA, BOS, DCA as unlikely to contribute any meaningful number of paxs to a PHL-DOH flight considering they are all in cities with QR service. And I'd probably eliminate the other redeyes, DEN, SLC, SAN, LAS, SEA. These cities have much better connection opportunities than a redeye to PHL, a 14 hour flight to DOH and then another flight.

And I'd wager that the combined PDEW of RIC, SWF, ISP, ITH, ALB, SBY, ART, BTV, CHO, PHF to all of Asia is less than a 100.

acentauri

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:30 am

enilria wrote:
Probably due to AA code share going away they retired for only DOH connects. I'll be surprised if it survives.

QR lost $700M this FY and they continue to add new U.S. routes, including SFO in 2018. The Philly flight passenger financial loss is a drop in the (Loss) bucket. Hell, PIT even thinks QR will eventually convert their cargo flight to passenger. The PHL time change should support much better Asian connections, but of course Parker hates them.

Runway28L

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:23 am

The loss of the AA codeshare is a certainly a blow to this flight, but the fixed timings will probably offset that with more connecting opportunities opening up.

cougar15

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:14 am

The belly does well. Don't count the route out![/quote]

most sensible statement in the whole thread, but people either neglect/forget or simly ignore ´downstairs´

phluser

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Irehdna wrote:
acentauri wrote:
Irehdna wrote:

Wouldn't assume that, UA/AI already operate from NYC/EWR to DEL nonstop, and for most of the diaspora EWR is closer than PHL. Both have a strong following and arrive at DEL at a decent time, unlike past midnight for connecting on QR.

I will say that besides DEL/BOM QR will win heavily not only in Philly, but also in NJ to perhaps as far as Edison, which is typically equally far by driving time to JFK and PHL.

I think for most of Jersey it would take ME3 nonstop to EWR to seriously challenge the UA dominance on the India market. Keep in mind there are 14 weekly nonstop fights, all of which are decently-timed both ways. UA does not connect well on the India side, so ME3 would perhaps be popular for AMD/HYD passengers.

With it's new schedule, QR from PHL likely get more pax traveling to South India, where BOM/DEL or even AMD isn't the final destination. UA and AI (from EWR) might still get more PHL/PA/DE/Central & South NJ pax traveling to BOM/DEL/Gujurat where that's the final destination.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos