Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Burbank Airport Brand Relaunch today

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Today was the official brand relaunch of Burbank Airport ( covered in previous thread viewtopic.php?t=606005 ) as Hollywood Burbank Airport.

The airport previously known as Bob Hope Burbank Airport decided to rebrand in an effort to increase the airport's recognition outside of the region.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRBflEqUQAAoXLl.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRBflErUQAE72J_.jpg

william

Re: Burbank Airport Brand Relaunch today

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Why? Its not like they "want" more passengers.

lostsound

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 pm

william wrote:

Aren't they building a whole new terminal?

ckfred

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:01 pm

NBC used to be near the airport. If you are old enough to remember "Laugh In," Gary Owens used to start the show by saying, "From beautiful downtown Burbank, it's Rowan & Martin's Laugh In."

During WWII, Lockheed had a factory at the airport. A fake town was built on top of the assembly buildings to disguise the complex from an air attack. Of course, the wise acres at the Warner Bros. animation studio painted on the roof of their building the word "LOCKHEED" with an arrow pointed at the complex. Some general saw the sign while flying into BUR, and Jack Warner got a very angry phone call.

phllax

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 pm

I picked up my boss there this morning and saw all of the new "old" branding on the signs and parking lot shuttle busses.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 pm

william wrote:

Passenger volume is still down over 30% from pre-recession highs.

Airport has found general public, especially outside of California, had no clue where Bob Hope Burbank airport was located, so with the rebrand its hoped awareness increases, and people realize its a convenient way to access some parts of Los Angeles.

lostsound wrote:

Yes approved by voters last year.

http://burreplacementterminal.com/

Looking at a 2022-2023 timeline for completion.

william

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:35 pm

LAXintl wrote:
william wrote:

Airport has found general public, especially outside of California, had no clue where Bob Hope Burbank airport was located, so with the rebrand its hoped awareness increases, and people realize its a convenient way to access some parts of Los Angeles.

lostsound wrote:

Placing in bold the new facility will NOT have more than 14 gates EVER! Yet they want more growth? Interesting.

nine4nine

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 pm

william wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
william wrote:

lostsound wrote:

Placing in bold the new facility will NOT have more than 14 gates EVER! Yet they want more growth? Interesting.

That's fine. 10 departure average per gate per day would give you about 140 commercial flights per day. I don't believe there are more than 80 daily now so plenty of room for growth with a 14 gate cap.

lostsound

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:04 pm

william wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
william wrote:

I flew out of there the other week and those 14 gates are super empty. There's only ever like 4 planes there at a time. I'd say 14 gates is all the airport really needs, the growth will come from airlines actually using all 14 of them.

F27500

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Why does an airport need to be a "brand"?

VirginFlyer

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 am

F27500 wrote:
Why does an airport need to be a "brand"?

Because there are four other airports in the metropolitan area, including an 800 pound gorilla at LAX, and Burbank is trying to attract a greater share of passengers, particularly non-locals travelling to the Hollywood area who might not realise Burbank is close by compared to LAX?

V/F

c933103

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:34 am

But with so many places named Hollywood around America and the world, can the renaming really tell people that this is the airport for the most famous Hollywood?

VirginFlyer

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:41 am

c933103 wrote:
But with so many places named Hollywood around America and the world, can the renaming really tell people that this is the airport for the most famous Hollywood?

"Hollywood (the one in Southern California famous for movie studios) Burbank Airport" was too big to fit on the signs :lol:

I imagine where this is going is more that if I search for Los Angeles on a booking website, the list of places which appear will include one which says "Hollywood".

V/F

intotheair

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 pm

ckfred wrote:
NBC used to be near the airport. If you are old enough to remember "Laugh In," Gary Owens used to start the show by saying, "From beautiful downtown Burbank, it's Rowan & Martin's Laugh In."

During WWII, Lockheed had a factory at the airport. A fake town was built on top of the assembly buildings to disguise the complex from an air attack. Of course, the wise acres at the Warner Bros. animation studio painted on the roof of their building the word "LOCKHEED" with an arrow pointed at the complex. Some general saw the sign while flying into BUR, and Jack Warner got a very angry phone call.

NBC still isn't too far away from there. KNBC has moved to Universal City, KABC is technically in Glendale, and KCBS/KCAL moved from Hollywood to Studio City about a decade ago. All the big studios are pretty much right there on the edge of the valley.

questions

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Most will continue to simply call it “Burbank.”

I’m flying into LAX.
I’m flying into Burbank.
I’m flying into Orange County.
I’m flying into Long Beach.

Re-branding and re-naming airports years after they open is a waste of money. No one says, I’m flying into the Maynard B Jackson International Terminal at Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport and have a connecting flight to Miami.

Yes, there are exceptions like JFK and TBIT (but mostly it’s just LAX).

Also, I’m really not a fan of naming airports after people.

Long live LAX, SFO, SEA, MIA.

jetero

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:37 pm

questions wrote:
Re-branding and re-naming airports years after they open is a waste of money. No one says, I’m flying into the Maynard B Jackson International Terminal at Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport and have a connecting flight to Miami.

Hey now, it's Maynard H. Jackson, Jr. International Terminal.

And it's Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport . . . the mayors come before the city!

I guess it could be like Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.

When they arrive at Miami they'll be landing at Wilcox Field (similar to MSP still keeping the Wold-Chamberlain name for the airfield, I believe). Maybe I'm wrong and these names are no longer official . . .

I'm more curious why BUR uses that photo of a low-flying 737 and juxtaposes it so close to the control tower. The website has that same low-flying plane. It either screams "noise!" or "crashing plane!"

evank516

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:47 pm

jetero wrote:
questions wrote:

And it's Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport . . . the mayors come before the city!

I guess it could be like Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.

When they arrive at Miami they'll be landing at Wilcox Field (similar to MSP still keeping the Wold-Chamberlain name for the airfield, I believe). Maybe I'm wrong and these names are no longer official . . .

I'm more curious why BUR uses that photo of a low-flying 737 and juxtaposes it so close to the control tower. The website has that same low-flying plane. It either screams "noise!" or "crashing plane!"

It also screams large 737 presence at the airport due to WN and AS ops.

jetero

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:55 pm

evank516 wrote:
jetero wrote:
questions wrote:

It also screams large 737 presence at the airport due to WN and AS ops.

Operative word being "screams."

(Would the traveling public that really doesn't even know where BUR is connect a 737 fuselage with WN and AS service?)

lavalampluva

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:02 pm

They definitely need to do something to attract business. With the exception of JFK none of their destinations are East of the Missouri River. I am surprised that ORD and ATL are not on the list.

superjeff

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:00 pm

it will always be Burbank to me. And much preferred over LAX. But haven't they tried calling in Hollywood Burbank Airport before?

questions

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 am

jetero wrote:
questions wrote:

HaHa Thanks! I meant to double check the names before I hit SUBMIT and totally forgot!

But it does underscore my point... “Atlanta International Airport” would be a lot simpler and memorable! :)

jetero

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:14 am

questions wrote:
jetero wrote:
questions wrote:

HaHa Thanks! I meant to double check the names before I hit SUBMIT and totally forgot!

But it does underscore my point... “Atlanta International Airport” would be a lot simpler and memorable! :)

How about just Atlanta Airport?!

Which begs the question how many airports are named as such? LGB is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

questions

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:14 am

superjeff wrote:
it will always be Burbank to me. And much preferred over LAX. But haven't they tried calling in Hollywood Burbank Airport before?

According to Wikipedia, yes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywo ... nk_Airport

The airport has been named United Airport (1930–1934), Union Air Terminal (1934–1940), Lockheed Air Terminal (1940–1967), Hollywood-Burbank Airport (1967–1978), Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport (1978–2003), Bob Hope Airport (since 2003, legal name),[3] and Hollywood Burbank Airport (since 2016, branding name).[3]

questions

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:08 am

jetero wrote:

Which begs the question how many airports are named as such? LGB is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

BOI Boise Airport

Another waste of money in Airport branding... adding “International” to the name of dinky airports that do not have regularly scheduled international service, only the capability for an occasional charter to the Bahamas, for example. A bunch of politicians trying to make their airport sound so cosmopolitan!

jetero

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:13 am

questions wrote:
jetero wrote:

BOI Boise Airport

Another waste of money in Airport branding... adding “International” to the name of dinky airports that do not have regularly scheduled international service, only the capability for an occasional charter to the Bahamas, for example. A bunch of politicians trying to make their airport sound so cosmopolitan!

Alright that’s 2! There is hope!

(Agreed re politicians.)

janders

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 am

Only thing I associate with Burbank is the Johnny Carson show as it was mentioned in the daily intro.

I agree though probably for bulk of the nation though very few have a clear idea of where the airport might be located at let alone where specifically it sits in the LA basin.

Though I do find the Hollywood moniker a bit off as it's on the wrong side of the Hollywood Hills and suspect to many LAX would be just as good option.

ckfred

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:02 pm

questions wrote:
Most will continue to simply call it “Burbank.”

I’m flying into LAX.
I’m flying into Burbank.
I’m flying into Orange County.
I’m flying into Long Beach.

Yes, there are exceptions like JFK and TBIT (but mostly it’s just LAX).

Also, I’m really not a fan of naming airports after people.

Long live LAX, SFO, SEA, MIA.

Airports named after people, and are usually called by that name:

BOS is named for General Edward Logan.
ORD is named for WWII naval flyer Butch O'Hare.
SDF is named for Louisville Mayor Standiford, who pushed for an airport.
ATL was originally named for Atlanta Mayor William Hartsfield, who also pushed for an airport.
The old DEN was named for Denver Mayor Stapleton who, surprise, pushed for an airport.
MKE is named for Billy Mitchell.
CLE is named for City Manager William Hopkins, another city official who thought an airpot was needed.
LGA is named Fiorello LaGuardia, yet another mayor who thought that a large city needed an airport.

nine4nine

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:43 pm

janders wrote:
Only thing I associate with Burbank is the Johnny Carson show as it was mentioned in the daily intro.

I agree though probably for bulk of the nation though very few have a clear idea of where the airport might be located at let alone where specifically it sits in the LA basin.

Though I do find the Hollywood moniker a bit off as it's on the wrong side of the Hollywood Hills and suspect to many LAX would be just as good option.

Gonna sound like Trump here for a second. WRONG!
While Burbank sits north of the Hollywood Hills and LAX well to the south. The drive from Burbank to Hollywood is a straight shot up Hollywood Way and takes about 10-12 minutes. Distance from Burbank to downtown LA is only 12 miles and usually is light-moderate traffic. On any given day the drive from LAX to Hollywood is at least an hour to hour and a half, LAX is 17 miles (5 more than Burbank) to downtown LA in always very heavy traffic which puts you at an average of 1-1 1/2 hours.

I think BUR offers a great very close alternative to both Hollywood and LA but unfortunately most people don't know what or where Burbank is. I think the rebrand will help but I'd have gone with LA-Burbank Airport ala the likes of NY- Kennedy, NY- LaGuardia. The airport property is outlined to the west by the City of LA, so technically can be marketed as such.

janders

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:44 am

Depends on what you define as Hollywood. If you want to call it Hollywood Blvd and Vine sure, but the Hollywood Hills run from Griffith Park border with Glendale to all the way west to Beverly Hills/Bel Air.
I lived for nearly 10-years in West Hollywood and could always access LAX in under 30mins usually straight down La Cienega. Trying to get to BUR would mean either hopping over the hill in single lane meandering road like Coldwater or Laural Canyon or crowded surface streets through Hollywood and maybe up the Highland/101. No thank you. LAX anyday, and twice on Sunday please!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos