Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

H3w1tt

Re: What’s next for Silver Airways?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
H3w1tt wrote:
What was the reason for them withdrawing service from IAD? Was it just not profitable?

The cities thy served from IAD were EAS cities, and the DOT picked another airline for service.

Oh gotcha. So do they no longer codeshare with UA?

H3w1tt

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
H3w1tt wrote:
What was the reason for them withdrawing service from IAD? Was it just not profitable?

The cities thy served from IAD were EAS cities, and the DOT picked another airline for service.

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:03 pm

H3w1tt wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
H3w1tt wrote:

Correct, in the schedules they are listed as 3M, they are considered their own airline. But you can connect to their flights from United as well as JetBlue (might be missing others) with their partnership agreement.

Polot

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 pm

H3w1tt wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
H3w1tt wrote:

United and Silver still codeshare, but Silver is no longer a United Express partner.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
msycajun wrote:
Silver Airways has been quiet lately since announcing its order for 20 ATR-42-600s. In a recent Facebook promotion it hinted at a forthcoming announcement of new Caribbean and Southeast US routes. It also asked which of the following routes would one be most likely to fly in the future:

TPA-CHS/GSP, MCO-CHS/GSP/HSV/BKG, and JAX-ORF/MSY

Has anyone heard when such an announcement might be made?

How has the fleet transition/pilot training been going?

Any ideas as to other potential routes?

As for MSY, there are several routes in the 300-600 mile range that I think would do well for them:
JAX and CHS at about 50 PDEW
OKC, TUL at about 40
GSP, RSW, CRP, and SDF between 25-40 pdew
Plus former GLO routes LIT, SHV, and MEM, which mostly compete against driving

They would be welcome at XNA especially MSY, BKG/Orlando would fill the gap left after Southwest killed the Sat only flight Air Tran was rather successful on with a 717. But Allegiant has Springfield and NWA on that route. XNA to VPS could work seasonally.

Well, Allegiant added the XNA/VPS route. Silver announced the Huntsville/MCO route. Is BKG/MCO next for Sliver. To be honest, BKG/MCO with a no plane change stop in Huntsville makes total sense for BKG.

Other routes like that:
TUL/SHV or LIT/MSY
XNA/MEM/MSY

rajincajun01

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Good to see Silver grow out of Florida again. Surprised it will be with an ATR. Brand new plane, and it will be sitting in Huntsville from 730pm until after 9am the next day.

msycajun
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm

I'd be surprised if they did much one-stop routing without significant O&D on both legs. With props it's not much faster than connecting at a hub and G4 is doing 4 weekly nonstop XNA-SFB this summer. I can't imagine there would be much demand for a BKG-HSV or TUL-SHV/LIT flight so it would be dependent on connections.

Looking at the HSV-MCO schedule, it appears that it is an HSV RON, but there would be time for the ATR to fly to another airport and RON there, so I guess BKG-HSV-MCO isn't totally implausible. Will be interesting to see what gets announced in the coming weeks.

RJNUT

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:40 pm

...Allegiant announces HSV-SFB in how many days 5,4,3,2,1?

WaywardMemphian

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:56 pm

msycajun wrote:
I'd be surprised if they did much one-stop routing without significant O&D on both legs. With props it's not much faster than connecting at a hub and G4 is doing 4 weekly nonstop XNA-SFB this summer. I can't imagine there would be much demand for a BKG-HSV or TUL-SHV/LIT flight so it would be dependent on connections.

Looking at the HSV-MCO schedule, it appears that it is an HSV RON, but there would be time for the ATR to fly to another airport and RON there, so I guess BKG-HSV-MCO isn't totally implausible. Will be interesting to see what gets announced in the coming weeks.

Huntsville is the type of demographic that Branson Tourism appeals to.

BKG is just outside of the supposed full load range to MCO. That's why I suggested that and it's pretty much a perfect flight pattern. If they are going to fly out of MSY, MEM seems like low hanging fruit for a roomy turboprop with the 46 seat configuration instead of the 48 or 50 ones.

I could easily see a try at BKG/MEM/MSY. MEM would be the primary driver for each leg with some possible pull power for BKG to MSY from NWA and Springfield.

evank516

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 pm

When are the new ATRs going to enter the fleet? Should be sometime this year right?

msycajun
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 pm

evank516 wrote:
When are the new ATRs going to enter the fleet? Should be sometime this year right?

Well HSV-MCO is scheduled to start May 23 on an ATR, so for sure by then, but I'd expect there to be some trial flights through existing stations before then.

flflyer

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm

YTZ-MLB 3:15

Bobloblaw

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 pm

RJNUT wrote:
...Allegiant announces HSV-SFB in how many days 5,4,3,2,1?

Why would Allegiant announce Orlando? G4 isnt a reactive airline.

Wynnster8

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 am

Silver Airways did Buy Seaborne Airlines... I wonder if they will start flights to Hilton Head.

F9Animal

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:09 am

Has anyone seen their ATR yet?

thegoldenargosy

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
H3w1tt wrote:

I thought they chose to close IAD to add the failed Cuba service.

usxguy

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:24 am

they didn't chose to end IAD, they were kinda kicked out.

N415XJ

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:30 am

usxguy wrote:

Care to expand on this? I always just assumed that they lost their EAS contracts or something.

DashTrash

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:42 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
msycajun wrote:

Space and defense folks like Branson? That's a new one on me.

sparky35805

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 am

Allegiant tried HSV several years ago and left,saying they couldnt make it work.Maybe if they had not canceled so many flights,HSV-MCO goes back to 1963 with Eastern Electras.The space race was wide open and by 167 we were filling up two 727s five days a week.I Silver will maintain reliable service they can make a go of it.

usxguy

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:15 am

N415XJ wrote:
usxguy wrote:

Care to expand on this? I always just assumed that they lost their EAS contracts or something.

Every single community served by Silver was requesting a new airline. So when they all went out for bid, Silver wasn't selected for a single market.

SXI899

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:02 am

evank516 wrote:

F9Animal wrote:
Has anyone seen their ATR yet?

Skyliner Aviation reported that ATR42-600 MSN1216 was ferried to Toulouse Francazal for painting prior to delivery as N401SV.
That was on the 1st of this month, so it can’t be too far from rolling out the paintshop.

RJNUT

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:39 pm

usxguy wrote:
N415XJ wrote:
usxguy wrote:

Every single community served by Silver was requesting a new airline. So when they all went out for bid, Silver wasn't selected for a single market.

and many of those landed VIA Air and that IS NOT working out for them. a few others went with Southern Express , so so results

XNA2ASG

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:08 am

DashTrash wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
msycajun wrote:

BKG just got Frontier which will start DEN service in June. They had this service a while back actually.

XNA2ASG

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:09 am

DashTrash wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
msycajun wrote:

Frontier is begining DEN service in the Summer. They had it a while back.

evank516

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:17 pm

XNA2ASG wrote:
DashTrash wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

BKG just got Frontier which will start DEN service in June. They had this service a while back actually.

Yup, I think they had it when the airport opened. They were the second carrier to sign on after AirTran.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm

DashTrash wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
msycajun wrote:

Tourism demo, White and conservative
Ever been inside a Bass Pro? If you had you'd know.
Branson is just like Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg

Plus Huntsville just landed a big new Mazda/Toyota plant.

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Boeing has a substantial defense and space presence in both Huntsville and St. Louis. Link HSV to STL, much like EA used to fly MCO-HSV-STL-SEA. (I know, I know, these aren't the days of Apollo missions.)

MILakes

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm

If Silver is extending their network to HSV, the concept of a 1-stop and RON somewhere other than BKG is possible. Not sure MCO-HSV-BKG would work. Perhaps a smaller destination without MCO non-stop. LIT/LEX/EVV come to mind. And while G4 flies all non-stop to SFB, I believe at least LIT/EVV are less than daily. In that scenario price would be biggest factor- otherwise connection at ATL or CLT would be more convenient and timely. Not much O&D from HSV to any of those destinations (including BKG), it would just allow Silver to fill seats. Real benefit would have to be MCO.

HSV is dominated by government O&D and high fares- some significant leakage to BNA/BHM for cost conscious travelers. And while these excursions are interesting to ponder, more likely outcome is Delta matches price and Silver pulls out after 6 months. As previously posted HSV-MCO has been tried before in recent history (Allegiant and Air Tran). Could the entrance of 48 daily seats and lower price stimulate enough demand? Delta is king in HSV- and as often happens their SkyMiles members would take advantage of price match but continue to connect in ATL.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 pm

MILakes wrote:
If Silver is extending their network to HSV, the concept of a 1-stop and RON somewhere other than BKG is possible. Not sure MCO-HSV-BKG would work. Perhaps a smaller destination without MCO non-stop. LIT/LEX/EVV come to mind. And while G4 flies all non-stop to SFB, I believe at least LIT/EVV are less than daily. In that scenario price would be biggest factor- otherwise connection at ATL or CLT would be more convenient and timely. Not much O&D from HSV to any of those destinations (including BKG), it would just allow Silver to fill seats. Real benefit would have to be MCO.

HSV is dominated by government O&D and high fares- some significant leakage to BNA/BHM for cost conscious travelers. And while these excursions are interesting to ponder, more likely outcome is Delta matches price and Silver pulls out after 6 months. As previously posted HSV-MCO has been tried before in recent history (Allegiant and Air Tran). Could the entrance of 48 daily seats and lower price stimulate enough demand? Delta is king in HSV- and as often happens their SkyMiles members would take advantage of price match but continue to connect in ATL.

If they go to MSY like they, themselves put out there. I can totally see MYS/LIT/XNA, MYS/SHV/OKC or TUL
and MYS/MEM/STL. I can even see routes like MEM/TYS/RDU. With lots of companies, price is the #1 factor when booking .

WaywardMemphian

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:37 am

According to this article, the order is 16 42s and 4 72s. The 72s have more range. Is this the plane for the possible BKG service they hinted?

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/atr-re- ... ways-deal/

WaywardMemphian

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:34 pm

evank516 wrote:
XNA2ASG wrote:
DashTrash wrote:

Yup, I think they had it when the airport opened. They were the second carrier to sign on after AirTran.

Sun Country was the first Carrier at BKG in 2009, Frontier came in year 2. It was cut when they really trimmed back Den in 2104 or 2015. They just a couple of months earlier went Daily on DEN/BKG. That last year before Southwest Bailed and then Frontier, BKG had hit 130,000+ enplanements. Service started at this airport in the depths of the Great Depression. It's a neat little airport with a "floating Runway" in the hills.
https://goo.gl/images/vyRJpR

msycajun
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:42 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
According to this article, the order is 16 42s and 4 72s. The 72s have more range. Is this the plane for the possible BKG service they hinted?

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/atr-re- ... ways-deal/

Sure it may have the range, but it's even slower than the 42. You're talking about a 3.5 hour flight at least. At that point, it doesn't save much time, if any, over connecting at ATL.

XNA2ASG

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 am

crownvic wrote:
This thread is just one of many bringing a problem to the table for many airlines and cities that do not qualify for larger equipment. The Dash 8 100/200 and SAABs flying today, are all reaching the end of their useful lives and there really is not a single western design in the 30-50 seat class around to replace it. While used 50 seat jets do have higher operating costs, their acquisition costs are very low right now. However, that would be a band aid only as these a/c are also ageing.

What does this mean? A lot cities over the next few year period are going to lose air service if a replacement aircraft does not appear. The chances of that happening are pretty much nil right now. Embraer seems to be the only one in talks to develop a fresh new 50 seat class turboprop.

Back in the 70s/80s, most cities were accessible with so many aircraft types being handed down from the larger airlines like CV-440/580, Martins, F-27/FH227, DC-3 and newer Dash 7 types. As the Dash 8s, SAABs and Dorniers entered the market along with the new 50 seat RJs/ERJs, there were replacements for the older types. Now there is nothing.

Maybe the Cessna Skycourier will help out with that need.

XNA2ASG

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 am

WaywardMemphian,

Yes, I am aware of this. I live in the NWA area. I visited BKG in May when ViaAir had service. There was a diverted SWA 737-300 there too due to a pressurization issue on the way from BWI-OKC.

XNA2ASG

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:21 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
msycajun wrote:

BKG is just outside of the supposed full load range to MCO. That's why I suggested that and it's pretty much a perfect flight pattern. If they are going to fly out of MSY, MEM seems like low hanging fruit for a roomy turboprop with the 46 seat configuration instead of the 48 or 50 ones.

I could easily see a try at BKG/MEM/MSY. MEM would be the primary driver for each leg with some possible pull power for BKG to MSY from NWA and Springfield.

Or LIT too. I think GLO had LIT-VPS but I may be wrong.

GFB

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm seeing availability for Silver Airways to Branson from IAH and ORD via the United web site. Service looks to start June 27.

Flight 180 is scheduled to depart IAH at 9:50 am and arrive in Branson at 11:05 am. The same aircraft appears to continue at 3M 181 departing at 11:40 am and arriving ORD at 1:40 pm.

3M 182 departs ORD at 2:20 pm and arrives Branson at 4:20 pm, then 3M 183 departs Branson at 4:55 pm arriving IAH at 6:55 pm.

Anyone know if Silver is going to be scheduling any additional IAH service?

jonnyclam123

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:24 pm

What will the first ATR flight be?

jonnyclam123

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:25 pm

What is the first ATR flight?

RJNUT

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:28 pm

GFB wrote:
I'm seeing availability for Silver Airways to Branson from IAH and ORD via the United web site. Service looks to start June 27.

Flight 180 is scheduled to depart IAH at 9:50 am and arrive in Branson at 11:05 am. The same aircraft appears to continue at 3M 181 departing at 11:40 am and arriving ORD at 1:40 pm.

3M 182 departs ORD at 2:20 pm and arrives Branson at 4:20 pm, then 3M 183 departs Branson at 4:55 pm arriving IAH at 6:55 pm.

I am not seeing that service listed on united.com nor Silver airways website?

GFB

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:30 pm

RJNUT wrote:
GFB wrote:

You have to search using award availability. It only comes up that way.

RJNUT

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:44 pm

GFB wrote:
RJNUT wrote:
GFB wrote:

You have to search using award availability. It only comes up that way.

Fascinating! NICE FIND!

F27500

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:41 pm

beefstew25 wrote:
Northwest1988 wrote:
Porter flies seasonal Toronto- Melbourne, FL. That’s got to be one of the longest!

Flies right over the condo. Long ass flight.

Three hours and 25 minutes trapped on a rattletrap vibrating mess of a Dash 8 400 ... no way. That's insane.

msycajun
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:01 pm

GFB wrote:

Interesting find. TLH has been trying to get IAH service for a while. Maybe 3M can use TLH to route the aircraft to IAH for the BKG flights.

RJNUT

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:13 pm

it appears that they had considered this similar pattern to ORD/IAH when making this EAS Proposal to Harrison, AR just down the road from Branson in 2016 (using Saabs!)

http://harrisondaily.com/news/silver-ai ... ea3f2.html

rbavfan

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:38 pm

msycajun wrote:
Silver Airways has been quiet lately since announcing its order for 20 ATR-42-600s. In a recent Facebook promotion it hinted at a forthcoming announcement of new Caribbean and Southeast US routes. It also asked which of the following routes would one be most likely to fly in the future:

TPA-CHS/GSP, MCO-CHS/GSP/HSV/BKG, and JAX-ORF/MSY

Has anyone heard when such an announcement might be made?

How has the fleet transition/pilot training been going?

Any ideas as to other potential routes?

As for MSY, there are several routes in the 300-600 mile range that I think would do well for them:
JAX and CHS at about 50 PDEW
OKC, TUL at about 40
GSP, RSW, CRP, and SDF between 25-40 pdew
Plus former GLO routes LIT, SHV, and MEM, which mostly compete against driving

Why would you go from one resort area to another resort area.

DaufuskieGuy

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:00 pm

F27500 wrote:
beefstew25 wrote:
Northwest1988 wrote:
Porter flies seasonal Toronto- Melbourne, FL. That’s got to be one of the longest!

Three hours and 25 minutes trapped on a rattletrap vibrating mess of a Dash 8 400 ... no way. That's insane.

are they doing that without restrictions? I thought the 400 tapped out at 2.5 hours or so

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:07 pm

The only airline to order ATR 72-600 and the ATR 42-600? Many airline outside the US already operated these types.

F27500

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:10 am

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
F27500 wrote:
beefstew25 wrote:

are they doing that without restrictions? I thought the 400 tapped out at 2.5 hours or so

.. even that's an hour too long.

N292UX

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:37 am

Northwest1988 wrote:
What about Hilton Head Island HXD? American Eagle is the only operator there. The Dash 8s are supposed to be completely retired next year and unless the runway is extended to accommodate regional jets, they will be without service. Could silver come in and find a way to sustain airline service to the island?

AA is going to be sending E175s after the Dash 8s are retired.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos