CARST
Topic Author

EasyJet announces routes from Berlin-Tegel

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 am

After U2 took over 25 airplanes from AB and lots of slots, they now annouced their routes from Berlin-Tegel airport. The routes from Tegel will be flown additionally to the routes from their Berlin-Schönefeld hub.

And man was I wrong! I thought no LCC would touch the domestic market here, but...

U2 dives fully into the German (speaking) domestic market:
TXL-FRA
TXL-MUC
TXL-STR
TXL-DUS
TXL-ZRH
TXL-VIE

For the beginning (from January 7th) all routes will be flown with one morning and one late afternoon flight. More to come from the summer flightplan apparently. What do you think? Will this be enough to bring LH Groups prices down (which have gone up a lot after ABs bankruptcy)???

These are all new routes from TXL:
BUD, CTA, DUS, FRA, FUE, CPH, MAD, MXP, PMI, MUC, CDG, FCO, ARN, STR, TLV, VIE, ZRH, PFO

I would say beside CTA, PMI and PFO, which are warm-water holiday-destinations, these are all classical city-connections, from the cities main airports. Not your typical LCC routes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SJY0F?s=wa

PatrickZ80

Re: EasyJet announces routes from Berlin-Tegel

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:53 am

They're succesful on the British domestic market, so why not try the same thing in Germany?

anstar

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 am

CARST wrote:

I would say beside CTA, PMI and PFO, which are warm-water holiday-destinations, these are all classical city-connections, from the cities main airports. Not your typical LCC routes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SJY0F?s=wa

Easyjet fly on lots of typical city routes and operate from the main airports in most markets so I wouldnt say its unusual for easyjet. What is new is the german domestic flights.

stylo777

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:06 am

Certainly a very good move and one I was expecting; however, the success is mainly depending on two factors in my eyes:
- will the former AB customer base switch to U2 (as well as LH flyers of course)
- German departure tax which takes a significant role in the prices (and ultimatively profits...)

Edit: flights are loaded and we are somewhere in the dimension of 50EUR per oneway (with FRA departures being somewhat higher for instance and TXL lower...)

Pe@rson

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 am

EZY operate huge amounts of city-city routes.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

PanHAM

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 am

€ 50,00 is roughly € 42 net VAT from which departure tax and fumvling fee have to be paid. Plus all other costs, there's not much left to cover that, Besides, LH matches that with their lowest fares.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

SCQ83

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:30 am

TXL-PMI should count as a domestic route :)

We will definitely see very cheap fares in some city pairs. For instance, Wizzair is starting BUD-SXF this month and Eurowings is also starting TXL-BUD in January, and now EasyJet. So from January 2018 there will four carriers (Eurowings, easyJet, Ryanair and Wizzair) on that market. Bloodbath coming.

What will happen with some thin routes like Tel Aviv which are already served from SXF? Will those be completely moved to TXL?

Interestingly, note there is no BCN planned for TXL, despite having other three destinations. Recently Eurowings also dropped a new MUC-BCN last minute (it was to start in November and closed reservations in mid October).

seahawk

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:31 am

Now let Vueling, FR and Wizz compete too by giving them the remaining AB slots.

Pe@rson

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:38 am

MUC 8x daily
FRA 5x daily
ZRH 5x daily
VIE 5x daily
STR 4x daily

When I search in February.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

CrawleyBen

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 am

Anyone think Easyjet might switch some of their UK-SXF flights to TXL at some point, or just leave them at SXF as they are now?

Cheers

Ben

CARST
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 am

Pe@rson wrote:
MUC 8x daily
FRA 5x daily
ZRH 5x daily
VIE 5x daily
STR 4x daily

When I search in February.

Yeah, it seems when I looked it up in the morning, not all flights had been loaded into the system. I only found TXL in their app, not on their website and on the mobile page.

Now you can find TXL on all sites and all flights have been loaded. This is a full blown attack on LH. Fantastic!

GT4EZY

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 am

Absolutely. Whilst the foray into the domestic German market is new, these types of city pairs are exactly the type of routes that easyJet has made a success of over the last decade. Indeed, i believe easyJet flys the most top 10 European city-pairs of any airline.

Just to add, as expected, FRA, MUC aswell as VIE & ZRH will see nightstopping crews. Again, whilst not widespread, easyJet do currently have a number of nightstoppers.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

anstar

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 am

PanHAM wrote:
€ 50,00 is roughly € 42 net VAT from which departure tax and fumvling fee have to be paid. Plus all other costs, there's not much left to cover that, Besides, LH matches that with their lowest fares.

I presume its similar to the UK domestic routes and the high APD per ticket.
But its worth remembering these are the cheap entry fares and ontop of these figures you need to take into account all the other charges... ie credit card, baggage, food and drink on board.. etc

steman

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:23 am

Great news. U2 back on the Berlin-Rome market. This route went from 5 airlines to 2 in the past few months. I´m curious to see whether FR will move its CIA ops from SXF to TXL and if EW will come back on the route.

runway23

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 am

I think the largest surprise here is (if you exempt MXP, CDG) the lack of connectivity to their largest hubs (LGW, GVA, LTN) or others of significant size (MAN, BRS, NCE, LYS, NAP, VCE, AMS). There's pretty much almost no overlap at this stage with SXF which is quite interesting seeing the potential size of both.

Also interesting is the fairly high number of night stops for the new TXL operation which could open potentially give an opportunity for some of these destinations to become small bases in order to reduce overnight costs. I would also guess that DUS and FRA will gain some routes in the near future.

anstar

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:49 am

runway23 wrote:
I think the largest surprise here is (if you exempt MXP, CDG) the lack of connectivity to their largest hubs (LGW, GVA, LTN) or others of significant size (MAN, BRS, NCE, LYS, NAP, VCE, AMS). There's pretty much almost no overlap at this stage with SXF which is quite interesting seeing the potential size of both.

Also interesting is the fairly high number of night stops for the new TXL operation which could open potentially give an opportunity for some of these destinations to become small bases in order to reduce overnight costs. I would also guess that DUS and FRA will gain some routes in the near future.

I'd say the focus was to get a foot hold on new markets as soon as possible. They don't want to do a VS/BMI scenario where by the time VS started little red, all the bmi pax had already defected to BA.

LGW/LTN/AMS/MAN etc can come with the expanded summer schedule

BestWestern

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:53 am

The current Y fares on TXL FRA are astronomical, so Easy can really profit here. Peak time overnight fares next week are in excess of €400.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

runway23

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:02 am

I’d say the real surprise is the lack of TXL-CGN it is the glaring major domestic route pair which is missing.

anstar

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 am

runway23 wrote:
I’d say the real surprise is the lack of TXL-CGN it is the glaring major domestic route pair which is missing.

Its just the initial schedule for JAN/FEB/MAR... It might appear in the summer schedule when the bulk of flights will be operated. This is just the startup schedule.

seahawk

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 am

runway23 wrote:

That will probably become a FR route.

PanHAM

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 am

They jst deserted that route and I doubt that FR will take the risk to operate German domestic flights. Although VC and UFO would love it...........
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

HELyes

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 am

CARST wrote:

These are all new routes from TXL:
BUD, CTA, DUS, FRA, FUE, CPH, MAD, MXP, PMI, MUC, CDG, FCO, ARN, STR, TLV, VIE, ZRH, PFO

Also HEL

TC957

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm

TXL - LGW is certainly one I'll make use of ...so come on easyjet, launch it please !

GT4EZY

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm

What you have to remember is that the TXL operation has been launched in order for EZY to take number one place in Berlin..... particularly once BER finally opens. There is not the urgent need to duplicate SXF because of that.

No indications of nightstop routes becoming bases at this stage either. Overnighting really isn’t that expensive and opening/running a base costs money too. MUC and ZRH have seen EZY flights for many years without a base and CPH had a LGW nightstopper for a good few years and that never became a base..... despite the rumours.

LTenEleven

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Some very odd scheduling there.

Operating CTA slot during a prime business departure slot. ARN double daily but at useless times for business passengers.

Pe@rson

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:45 pm

LTenEleven wrote:

Operating CTA slot during a prime business departure slot. ARN double daily but at useless times for business passengers.

Arrive ARN around 0925 and leave 2010. A bit late home but pretty good overall, especially if cost-conscious. Of course, designed for BER-originating traffic.

LTenEleven

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Pe@rson wrote:
LTenEleven wrote:

Arrive ARN around 0925 and leave 2010. A bit late home but pretty good overall, especially if cost-conscious. Of course, designed for BER-originating traffic.

You're right. I meant CPH: earliest arrivals 11:40, latest departure 16:15 (and even worse in the other direction).

LTenEleven

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 pm

seahawk wrote:
runway23 wrote:

Where do you expect FR to get the TXL slots?

GT4EZY

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm

There is still an almost romantic view of business travel being a day trip away. Trust me, that is quite a rare. Most business trips include atleast one overnight which makes the timings actually quite reasonable.

seahawk

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:57 am

LTenEleven wrote:
seahawk wrote:
runway23 wrote:

Fr said they want to base planes there.

anstar

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:12 am

seahawk wrote:
LTenEleven wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Fr said they want to base planes there.

What FR say and do are 2 different things :p

Easyjet have paid to get access to 25 aircraft and the associated slots. They are also wetleasing aircraft to hold onto those slots - so what would be left over for Ryanair?

Cunard

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:24 am

I don't think that Seahawk even considered the availability of slots at TXL or the reasoning behind EasyJet acquiring the former Air Berlin aircraft and slots at TXL he just believes the PR stuff from Ryanair.

PanHAM

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:26 am

FR has applied for Slots at the recent summer18 Slot conference. Instead of picking a number and get in line with the others who want to take a slice of what is left from AB, they take the short cut for the freebies. Pay 40 Million?? Naah, not us.

This is more a Problem for U2 than LH. U2 will have to recover the payment they committed, while FR willjust pay nothing. Although, I bet that FR is not interested in domestic German flights
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

seahawk

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 am

As LH will have to give up a slots, it is likely FR will get some of those. And if the EU does the right thing and forbids LH from taking over any asset of the old AB, there will be plenty of slots available.

PanHAM

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:02 am

Why and for what should LH then pay 210 Mio € ? More, AB did not have any assets when they were closed down. What you call "assets" i good will at best and any ruling by the EU can be challlenged.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos