PHBVF
Topic Author

French Blue to change its name

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Apparently due to legal reasons French Blue is going to change both it's corporate and trading name to just French.
Wonder what company might be behind this?

If it is, as speculated by AVgeeks Tahiti, due to JetBlue that would really be interesting, as it basically makes them the sole carrier that would be able to use "Blue" in their name...

https://twitter.com/AVgeeksTahiti/status/937538084232503296
http://outremeraviation.fr/french-blue-va-changer-de-nom
Licensed 737/777 driver

RJNUT

Re: French Blue to change its name

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Love it!

jnev3289

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:28 pm

haha isnt April Fool's still far away?

mercure1

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm

The companies legal name was always just "French SAS" with SAS being similar to Limited Liability Company.

PatrickZ80

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:04 pm

PHBVF wrote:
as it basically makes them the sole carrier that would be able to use "Blue" in their name...

Not true, there's a lot of other airlines with the word blue in their name. There's AirBlue (PA), Blue Air (0B) and Blue Panorama (BV) for example. The only thing is that JetBlue would be the only American airline to use the word Blue in their name, but that was already the case since French Blue is not American.

PatrickZ80

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:05 pm

mercure1 wrote:
The companies legal name was always just "French SAS" with SAS being similar to Limited Liability Company.

And that would make sense since SAS is also an airline and they wouldn't be happy if another airline also calls themselves SAS.

speedbird52

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Guess SAS will have to sue Airbus SAS...
"I have control" Three Words That Could Have Saved Lives.

sevenair

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Isn't JetBlue the reason that ill fated low cost UK TATL startup was renamed from flyBlu to flyWho?

The livery looks stunning on the A350. I was deeply concerned it was going to be some millennial garbage like 'Joon' or hop/skip/jump/scooch.

OA940

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:55 pm

And why ould they change it? Makes 0 sense. Unless B6 are asses.
A350/CSeries = bae

JAAlbert

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:57 pm

The Airline is called "French"?? Just French? Why don't they just call it "Airline" and be done with it?

And why are they using the English term, the folks in France sometimes get touchy when using English words. Really, shouldn't the airline be called "Français" for the true french experience? :)

richierich

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 pm

What does this have to do with JetBlue? Yeah, they both have Blue in the name, but this name change has nothing to do with B6. (If B6 had that kind of authority, I would guess they would go after AirBlue first as their livery even resembles a cut-rate, no-frills JetBlue livery...!)
Maybe I should start the rumor that FrenchBlue changed their name so that there was less risk of being taken over by David Neeleman.
None shall pass!!!!

mooseofspruce

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Surely the "French" title and the clover(?) shape will be shifted closer together on the final thing.

It all seems so silly, but that's legal stuff I guess.

AAvgeek744

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 am

This must be recent. Today's airlineroute indicated a one time French Blue ORY-SFO-PPT and back service.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2018/

LAXintl

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
This must be recent. Today's airlineroute indicated a one time French Blue ORY-SFO-PPT and back service.

Airlineroute obviously not up to speed. If they would bother to read the DOT application they reference, the company name listed is "French"
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

berari

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 am

I never understood the name of this airline, for a french airline to use english wording. Granted it would have sucked to say "Bleu Francais".

But now, why just French.

If they were in Quebec they'd have been shuttered. And no Bonjour, Hi!

AAvgeek744

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:46 am

LAXintl wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Airlineroute obviously not up to speed. If they would bother to read the DOT application they reference, the company name listed is "French"

Figured as much. Thought it might be a carry-over from the rumor this was going to become a scheduled service.

Newbiepilot

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 am

Well it is not like the name French Blue is particularly well known. How old is the airline?

dtw2hyd

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 am

Just French, what kind of name it is? It is just for French.

Polot

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:09 am

richierich wrote:
What does this have to do with JetBlue? Yeah, they both have Blue in the name, but this name change has nothing to do with B6. (If B6 had that kind of authority, I would guess they would go after AirBlue first as their livery even resembles a cut-rate, no-frills JetBlue livery...!)
Maybe I should start the rumor that FrenchBlue changed their name so that there was less risk of being taken over by David Neeleman.

The difference is French [Blue] has plans in place to fly to the US. If AirBlue was to try and launch US flights they would likely face the same issue/pushback from JetBlue.

This is just a standard trademark infringement case. B6 would allege French Blue’s name is too close to theirs and it could cause customer confusion/belief that there is a link between the two airlines. Just one of those things you have to deal with if you want international operations.

mooseofspruce

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 am

Polot wrote:
richierich wrote:

The difference is French [Blue] has plans in place to fly to the US. If AirBlue was to try and launch US flights they would likely face the same issue/pushback from JetBlue.

This is just a standard trademark infringement case. B6 would allege French Blue’s name is too close to theirs and it could cause customer confusion/belief that there is a link between the two airlines. Just one of those things you have to deal with if you want international operations.

Apparently French Blue did a press release (in French, copied verbatim in the second article but I otherwise can't find on French Blue's platforms) that mentions "a possible conflict with a US operator with a close name" :scratchchin: in their filing with the US DOT, and that the change to "French" is temporary.

Thank goodness, at least for the sake of the branding since it looks pretty smart to me otherwise. :duck:

iseeyyc

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:09 am

How about French Inhale?

shamrock350

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:57 am

British Airways was simply 'British' during the days of the “Negus & Negus” livery. The official name obviously never changed but I quite liked that bold look. Even Aer Lingus was sometimes referred to as just 'Irish' in the 60s and 70s with a similar approach to their livery. The main difference is that this was during the glory days of national airlines, where airline brands focused on their nationality and cultures, a flying extension of their homeland... French Blue or now, French is far from that kind of airline.

mooseofspruce wrote:
Surely the "French" title and the clover(?) shape will be shifted closer together on the final thing.

It all seems so silly, but that's legal stuff I guess.

It looks like a clover but I think it's actually a butterfly.

F27500

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:24 pm

I like the livery ... nice NOT to see an all-white bore for a change. Also glad they're changing the name. French Blue always sounded like a type of cheese to me.

But they have to come up with something other than (or addition to just 'French'). I think the same of SWISS.

French what? Swiss what? And back when BA did it in the 70s/80s with just 'British' on the side.

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:45 pm

F27500 wrote:
But they have to come up with something other than (or addition to just 'French'). I think the same of SWISS.

French what? Swiss what? And back when BA did it in the 70s/80s with just 'British' on the side.

Lol, this is too easy.....here are three more. Once people get used to seeing them, they fail to actually "see" them. :roll:
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

And that would make sense since SAS is also an airline and they wouldn't be happy if another airline also calls themselves SAS.

You misunderstand. SAS is like Ltd or LLC or maybe you are more familiar with B.V.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

F27500

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:40 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Lol, this is too easy.....here are three more. Once people get used to seeing them, they fail to actually "see" them. :roll:

You know what? You're absolutely right !!

Revelation

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:55 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Just French, what kind of name it is? It is just for French.

To us Americain, we already know it:

The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

jeffrey0032j

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Waiting for the confusion that ensues when someone asks for their Air French flight.

aviationjunky

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 pm

French Airways? French Airlines? French Air? I mean, they could easily add another part to the name and make it work. I'm sure it will be a pain to rebrand everything, like seats, napkins, stuff like that. Maybe they could fly with just FRENCH and add colors for different aircraft? Like a few planes could fly as FRENCHBlue, and some could fly as FRENCHRed?

With B6 so upset, is it because they might be getting ready to begin flying internationally to Europe? It would make since for them not to want confusion between 2 seemingly new airlines in that region.
LAS is Life

bzcat

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 am

If French Blue didn't work, why didn't they go with French Bleu? I'm pretty sure that would have sailed thru with US Trademark filing.

jeffrey0032j wrote:
Waiting for the confusion that ensues when someone asks for their Air French flight.

Was there a lot of confusion with Air Canada when Canadian was around? :spin:

hz747300

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:09 am

Why not JetBleu?
Keep on truckin'...

Aesma

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 am

JAAlbert wrote:
The Airline is called "French"?? Just French? Why don't they just call it "Airline" and be done with it?

And why are they using the English term, the folks in France sometimes get touchy when using English words. Really, shouldn't the airline be called "Français" for the true french experience? :)

AA is often called "American". Obviously never is it called "Airlines".

I didn't like "French Blue" much, "French" is a bit better as it seems to mean you're getting a French experience, or something like that.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

bzcat

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Aesma wrote:
JAAlbert wrote:

AA is often called "American". Obviously never is it called "Airlines".

I didn't like "French Blue" much, "French" is a bit better as it seems to mean you're getting a French experience, or something like that.

Isn't Lufthansa basically "Airlines" in German? :rotfl:

What JAAlbert said is interesting. French is following the example of Norwegian and using English titles as the official name of the airline even in its native language... "Norwegian" (the airline) would be "Norsk" in Norwegian (the language) but as far as I know, it is also called "Norwegian" in Norway.

This is usually not the case... for example "Japan Airlines" is "日本航空" in Japanese. And of course Lufthansa, which doesn't even have English name.

cschleic

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 pm

hz747300 wrote:
Why not JetBleu?

That's cheesy. :biggrin:

JetBuddy

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Well French sounds good. Just like American sounds good. Or Norwegian.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 pm

JAAlbert wrote:

bzcat wrote:

What JAAlbert said is interesting. French is following the example of Norwegian and using English titles as the official name of the airline even in its native language... "Norwegian" (the airline) would be "Norsk" in Norwegian (the language) but as far as I know, it is also called "Norwegian" in Norway.

This is usually not the case... for example "Japan Airlines" is "日本航空" in Japanese. And of course Lufthansa, which doesn't even have English name.

You are opening up a whole can of worms here.
Firstly, I would distinguish between countries that use a standard English alphabet (26 letters, give or take an umlaut), as opposed to countries who have an entirely different presentation (such as Japanese).
Then you need to distinguish between the full name of the airline, the shortened version as it appears on their aircraft, and their trading name. Not to mention cosmetic extras, such as individual aircraft names.
e.g. Russian aircraft are denoted CCCP-, but to a Russian that reads "SSSR". So it looks familiar to us, but that is just an illusion.
Aeroflot is actually Аэрофлот, and similarly to Lufthansa isn't really a name; it simply means "Air Fleet"
TAP Portugal, formerly Air Portugal, have only been known as such in recent decades. Previously they were known as TAP- Transportes Aéreos Portugueses (as this retro scheme shows).
Turkish Airlines used to write THY-Turkish Airlines on one side, and THY-Türk Hava Yollari on the other.
The names on Olympic Airways were in English on one side, and Greek on the other. Hence SX-BCA "Apollo" or "Ἀπόλλων" as it is below
I believe THY, and Thai followed a similar pattern, and possibly Lufthansa too. e.g. Köln / Cologne. Sometimes it was faintly absurd, as in Berlin/Berlin.

And JAL labelled their aircraft as "Japan Air Lines" purely in English (on both sides) unless it was a domestic only aircraft such as this one, which I saw a long way from home at Gatwick!

As I say; it's a minefield!

cschleic

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
JAAlbert wrote:

bzcat wrote:

Firstly, I would distinguish between countries that use a standard English alphabet (26 letters, give or take an umlaut), as opposed to countries who have an entirely different presentation (such as Japanese).
Then you need to distinguish between the full name of the airline, the shortened version as it appears on their aircraft, and their trading name. Not to mention cosmetic extras, such as individual aircraft names.
e.g. Russian aircraft are denoted CCCP-, but to a Russian that reads "SSSR". So it looks familiar to us, but that is just an illusion.
Aeroflot is actually Аэрофлот, and similarly to Lufthansa isn't really a name; it simply means "Air Fleet"
TAP Portugal, formerly Air Portugal, have only been known as such in recent decades. Previously they were known as TAP- Transportes Aéreos Portugueses (as this retro scheme shows).
Turkish Airlines used to write THY-Turkish Airlines on one side, and THY-Türk Hava Yollari on the other.
The names on Olympic Airways were in English on one side, and Greek on the other. Hence SX-BCA "Apollo" or "Ἀπόλλων" as it is below
I believe THY, and Thai followed a similar pattern, and possibly Lufthansa too. e.g. Köln / Cologne. Sometimes it was faintly absurd, as in Berlin/Berlin.

And JAL labelled their aircraft as "Japan Air Lines" purely in English (on both sides) unless it was a domestic only aircraft such as this one, which I saw a long way from home at Gatwick!

Off-topic but I couldn't resist...the Japanese one is a 727-100 with a rear fuselage door added? High density configuration?

JAAlbert

!!!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 am

cschleic wrote:
Off-topic but I couldn't resist...the Japanese one is a 727-100 with a rear fuselage door added? High density configuration?

Those 727-100s sure were cute! I love the mid-fuselage door they featured on the right side of the plane. So stylish.

As for the many comments re: which language airlines use, it is interesting that the world's businesses often use English in marketing and branding their product. Remember Airbus's "LONGER – FARTHER – LARGER – FASTER – HIGHER – QUIETER – SMOOTHER" slogan plastered across the 340-600? English! On a plane built by the Germans and French (and a few other nationalities)! WTF?? I always wondered for which audience Airbus intended that slogan -- it couldn't have been the French or Russians or Chinese.

Anyways, back on topic, I, dunno, but "French" as an airline name just doesn't give me the same satisfaction that "American" (which is really American Airlines) and Norwegian (which is listed as "norwegian.com" on its planes which is ridiculous) provide. The name just feels like its missing something and opens us mischievous types to add the missing element via photoshop, i.e.: "French Fries," "French Toast," "French Kiss," "French Poodle," French Revolution," etc, etc. (Actually French Revolution would be a really cool name for an airline!)

I do agree that the livery for French is gorgeous. That I will give you.

TheLion

Re: !!!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am

JAAlbert wrote:
cschleic wrote:

Those 727-100s sure were cute! I love the mid-fuselage door they featured on the right side of the plane. So stylish.

As for the many comments re: which language airlines use, it is interesting that the world's businesses often use English in marketing and branding their product. Remember Airbus's "LONGER – FARTHER – LARGER – FASTER – HIGHER – QUIETER – SMOOTHER" slogan plastered across the 340-600? English! On a plane built by the Germans and French (and a few other nationalities)! WTF?? I always wondered for which audience Airbus intended that slogan -- it couldn't have been the French or Russians or Chinese.

Anyways, back on topic, I, dunno, but "French" as an airline name just doesn't give me the same satisfaction that "American" (which is really American Airlines) and Norwegian (which is listed as "norwegian.com" on its planes which is ridiculous) provide. The name just feels like its missing something and opens us mischievous types to add the missing element via photoshop, i.e.: "French Fries," "French Toast," "French Kiss," "French Poodle," French Revolution," etc, etc. (Actually French Revolution would be a really cool name for an airline!)

I do agree that the livery for French is gorgeous. That I will give you.

Agree that French Blue’s livery is lovely. If only more carriers would take a leaf from their book. As a name however, “French” sounds truncated, unfinished.

KarelXWB

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:00 am

Just French? Why not naming it French Airlines/Airways?
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

AASAP777

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:26 pm

How about Lignes Aériennes Françaises?
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.

INFINITI329

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 pm

French sounds as good as bland chicken... French Bleu is what the name I would have gone with it. If JetBlue has a problem let them take you to court.

TWA902fly

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:05 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
French sounds as good as bland chicken... French Bleu is what the name I would have gone with it. If JetBlue has a problem let them take you to court.

Chicken Cordon Bleu?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

bzcat

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
JAAlbert wrote:

bzcat wrote:

I think it's fun to point out some of these titles in native languages but that wasn't the point I was making. It doesn't matter if latin or non-latin alphabet titles painted on the side of the airplane. The point is all those airlines have an official name in its native language. The English title is a translation mainly because English is the official language for aviation. Japan Airlines is a translation in English, not the official name. Same as Turkish Airline or Olympic. TAP is an abbreviation that happens to work in both Portuguese and English because both languages use latin alphabets.

French (and Norwegian) are using English titles as its name, eschewing the native language of their supposed native country. The names are not a translation into English... the name is in English - Norwegian is call "Norwegian" in Norway, not Norsk with English translation of "Norwegian" painted on the airplane. French Blue is called "French Blue" in France, not Français Bleu with English translation of "French" painted on the airplane.

Contrast that with Lufthansa, which is called Lufthansa in Germany (there is no English transliteration or translation). Or Aerolíneas Argentinas, which does have an English translation (Argentina Airlines) but choose not to use it and just stick with its official Spanish name on the planes.

bosmaury

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Could it be that the name is too similar to FlyingBlue - Air France's frequent flyer program?

DWC

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 am

I vote for FRENCH KISS ! :duck:
Surely the prudes will object, but it does have some glamour, nay, some cachet & panache, to say nothing of the free buzz that would generate, particularly in the US market. Where do I file for royalties ?

Airlines have resorted to English on both sides for better brand recognition when expanding abroad, but not all : many russian airlines keep one side in cyrrilic at least & so do some chinese ( domestic ) airlines with their official name all in chinese characters.
But I find this trend sad, just like all planes going two-holers, particularly Eurpean airlines like Swiss or Norwegian.
Next in line would be CHINESE : Where do I file for royalties ?
RUSSIAN would be interesting, because hardly anyone outside of Russia knows they use two different adjectives :
Pусский - Russkii for ethnic Russian ( so only as European Russia based airline )
Российский - Rossiiskii for "countrywide", as in Russian Federation, like the former всесоюзный (all-union) used by Aeroflot in Soviet times and by ANA / 全日本空輸株式会社 where 全日本 ( "Zen Nihon", homophone to Buddhist Zen 禅 ) means" All-Japan" / "Japan-wide".

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Lufthansa isn't really a name; it simply means "Air Fleet"

1. The russians stopped "CCCP" labels in 1991 ( meant USSR ), but I get your point, same for the MC-21, to Russians it is MS-21.
2. Lufthansa IS a name like the Luftwehr ( or Luftwaffe under the Nazis ), Luft means "Air" for sure, Hansa means neither "fleet" nor "airways", it is in reference to the seafaring "Hanseatic League" that linked major trading cities around the Baltic Sea in the middle-ages ( Geman, Scandinavian, Polish, Baltic ), so that "Lufthansa" means something like "Aerial Commercial Network" with strong historical connotation, in my opinion the best airline name anywhere ( Pan Am or Aeroflot sound good & catchy but are dull in meaning )

Then to the Goldmine I would add :
ALLIA ( but you need to have known the Queen & her husband the King of Jordan - a pilot himself )

blueflyer

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:58 am

AASAP777 wrote:
How about Lignes Aériennes Françaises?

Surely you must be LAFfing?
MAGag

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 pm

DWC wrote:
1. The russians stopped "CCCP" labels in 1991 ( meant USSR ), but I get your point, same for the MC-21, to Russians it is MS-21.
2. Lufthansa IS a name like the Luftwehr ( or Luftwaffe under the Nazis ), Luft means "Air" for sure, Hansa means neither "fleet" nor "airways", it is in reference to the seafaring "Hanseatic League" that linked major trading cities around the Baltic Sea in the middle-ages ( Geman, Scandinavian, Polish, Baltic ), so that "Lufthansa" means something like "Aerial Commercial Network" with strong historical connotation, in my opinion the best airline name anywhere ( Pan Am or Aeroflot sound good & catchy but are dull in meaning )

Then to the Goldmine I would add :
ALLIA ( but you need to have known the Queen & her husband the King of Jordan - a pilot himself )

1) Yes, it's fairly obvious that I was speaking historically. CCCP = SSSR = USSR, which (as I'm sure most of us know) included Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Tajikstan, Uzbekistan, UncleStan and several more that I cannot even spell or pronounce. But when they all divided up and gained their own registration prefix, and indeed the whole concept of USSR ceased to exist, then CCCP- became redundant too.
2) When my parents took me on a road trip around West Germany (as it was), I took a keen interest in car registrations, and asked the obvious question; why was Hamburg full of cars registered "HH", and in Bremen "HB". The answer was "Hansestadt Hamburg" and "Hansestadt Bremen" etc.
There is also a football team reflecting this heritage; F.C. Hansa Rostock.

As for Pan Am sounding catchy; it was so widespread that many forget that it's full title was PAWA Pan American World Airways, but I guess that's neither here nor there.

"ALLIA" is written with only one "L", and more normally written "Alia", except on the aircraft itself where it became "alia" /"elle" The Royal Jordanian Airline.
Back in the day, this was a really classy scheme. And writing an airline name without a capital "A" was totally unheard of...

The late King of Jordan, in addition to being a keen pilot himself (as DWC said), had for many years been a keen supporter of RIAT (the world's best airshow!), and personally created the Royal Jordanian Falcons Image

The airline was not named after Queen Alia, the King's third wife, whom King Hussein did not marry until 1972. The airline pre-dates her, and was named after King Hussein's eldest child, Princess Alia bint Al Hussein of Jordan (born on 13 February 1956). It is a common misconception.
Actually it isn't common at all; most people these days simply haven't got a clue..... :lol:
How cool is it to have a national airline named after you!

If you are looking for a worthwhile charity, you could do a lot worse;
http://www.princessaliafoundation.org/

b4thefall

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Off-topic but I couldn't resist...the Japanese one is a 727-100 with a rear fuselage door added? High density configuration?[/quote]

This aircraft was going to be operated by Dan Air, who installed 153 seats. The UK CAA insisted that they installed the additional pair of exits at the rear to accommodate this. Interestingly, the UK CAA also forced Lockheed to install full size exits at the rear of the TriStars that were due to be delivered to Court line ( the first 1011s in the UK) . I believe the TriStars originally delivered to British airlines were the only ones to have that feature.

DWC

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:46 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
"ALLIA" is written with only one "L", and more normally written "Alia", except on the aircraft itself where it became "alia" /"elle" The Royal Jordanian Airline.
The airline was not named after Queen Alia, the King's third wife, whom King Hussein did not marry until 1972. The airline pre-dates her, and was named after King Hussein's eldest child, Princess Alia bint Al Hussein of Jordan (born on 13 February 1956).

Ah ! Thanks, learnt something today 8-) Was just reading yesterday a book by French publsher "Allia" - a synchronicity ?
Way back in my days in Asia, alia was the cheapo AirGreyhound AMS-BKK, for the time one layover was ok one way : 4h, but 20h in the other...

As to LUFT-HANSA, most people mispronounce it as Luft'ansa, the words are meant to be heard separatedly, think of LUFT+HANSA.
( Just like some countries mispronounce Shang+hai, or shorten the 2 long O is Too+Kyoo ( East Capital ), for Tokyo means different things in Japanese ).

BLUE : I don't know what is so hot about blue with airlines, I admit it looks great in liveries, but in English, blue can be negatively connotated, the "Blues" contratict the smily faces airlines put forward, to say nothing of "feeling blue" - not what airlines would want to foster in their passengers...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos