Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N62NA

Re: AA 737 MAX 8 Inaugural

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 pm

AA321T wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:
N62NA wrote:
Just a little plastic thing hanging from the ceiling to separate First class from Coach?

It looks futuristic, but also very cheap. You would think they would at least have a curtain separating the two cabins to give First a bit more privacy!

There is a curtain as well. It’s one of those silly see through ones though.

Yes, I noticed that in the youtube video. But apparently the curtain just goes across the aisle, with still nothing at all in back of the First class seats to separate them from Coach.

As someone above mentioned - and I immediately thought as well - that this reminds me of what the airlines in Europe do. They put a little plastic divider coming down a foot or so from the ceiling to indicate the end of "Business" and beginning of Coach. Though thank goodness AA isn't going all-out European "Business" class with the 3 coach seats and the middle being unsold.

OA940

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:35 pm

commavia wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Ryanair has more legroom in their 737's than AA's MAX's. That's all we have to say.

The 30" of pitch on AA's 737MAX will be consistent with the pitch currently available on Ryanair's 737s, and many other airlines around the world, including in the U.S. and Europe.

Yeah, but there are two problems with that. 1) FR's seats are thinner than AA's and thus are roomier. 2) FR HAS 9 EURO FLIGHTS! And out of all the other airlines with comparable seat pitch, less than a handful are full service, and most of them have thinner seats to improve legroom. AA's seats would feel like Spirit's seats (because Spirit has SO THIN seats). It's sufferable for shorter flights, but unless you're paying under 150$, DFW-ANC with 30'' of pitch is unacceptable for a legacy carrier, even for me who usually doesn't have any problem with this stuff.

commavia

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:55 pm

OA940 wrote:
It's sufferable for shorter flights, but unless you're paying under 150$, DFW-ANC with 30'' of pitch is unacceptable for a legacy carrier, even for me who usually doesn't have any problem with this stuff.

Well we’ll see what’s “sufferable” and “unacceptable” for consumers.

My personal prediction: some people will refuse to fly on AA 737s, but far, far more people will book the lowest fare without even knowing what plane they’ll be on, get in their seat, grumble for two seconds about being cramped, and then go back to streaming a movie on their phone.

barney captain

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:53 pm

This pic appears to show the LAM in operation -

Landing Attitude Modifier

The LAM does two things:

At flap 15-30 if the thrust is near idle it will slightly raise the flight spoilers to increase drag to increase thrust above idle.
At flap 30 or 40, the flight spoilers will raise slightly to reduce lift necessitating a higher AoA and hence nose attitude to give an "acceptable nose gear contact margin".

freakyrat

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:04 pm

PHL9R wrote:
Maybe the carriers know it'd be hard to excite the public about fuel savings! I don't think the MAX (or NEO) bring any improvements to the passenger. They are money savers for the operators, but to passengers, there's little to celebrate or appreciate as the experience is entirely the same, if not worse than the NG or CEO. I flew on an LH A320 NEO from FRA to AMS last month and the cabin was configured like a Frontier bird (at least you got the choice of wine or beer though!). The seat pitch was tight and there was no IFE to speak off. Sparse would the word that comes to mind.

Did you notice a difference in engine noise in the MAX? I paid close attention in the NEO and it did seem slightly less raucous but I don't think it was particularly noticeable. I don't think you would be able to call it "quiet" by any means (not to say the manufacturer has claimed that to be).

I flew one on WN and the aircraft lighting is softer inside. The aircraft on takeoff is noticeably quiet. I was sitting by the engine fan section and all I heard was a slight hum and whistling noise. No loud roar or buzzing from the fan section.

Polot

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:11 pm

OA940 wrote:
commavia wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Ryanair has more legroom in their 737's than AA's MAX's. That's all we have to say.

The 30" of pitch on AA's 737MAX will be consistent with the pitch currently available on Ryanair's 737s, and many other airlines around the world, including in the U.S. and Europe.

Yeah, but there are two problems with that. 1) FR's seats are thinner than AA's and thus are roomier. 2) FR HAS 9 EURO FLIGHTS! And out of all the other airlines with comparable seat pitch, less than a handful are full service, and most of them have thinner seats to improve legroom. AA's seats would feel like Spirit's seats (because Spirit has SO THIN seats). It's sufferable for shorter flights, but unless you're paying under 150$, DFW-ANC with 30'' of pitch is unacceptable for a legacy carrier, even for me who usually doesn't have any problem with this stuff.

True, but enjoy it while it lasts. Those 737-8 MAX 200s that FR is getting will not be as roomy.

Unfortunately as others have mentioned 30" is becoming the new norm for the US3's domestic seat pitches. AA is not the only one of the three with 30" seat pitch.

737max8

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:11 pm

commavia wrote:
OA940 wrote:

You know, except for Southwest ;)

31-32" is all of sudden lovely.

ckfred

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 pm

A. The piece of plastic separating F and Y is probably far easier to remove, then a full bulkhead. Remember that TSA made the airlines get rid of the curtain between cabins after 9/11. Perhaps in the interest of safety, TSA and the FAA are mandating that new aircraft types don't get a full bulkhead to divide cabins.

B. The good thing about the lack of a bulkhead is that the passengers in the bulkhead row of Y can put items under the F seats ahead of them.

C. Does MCE have the same amount of legroom on the MAX as on the 738NG?

D. Several years ago, I was listening to "Mike & Mike" on ESPN2. The topic was in-flight entertainment, and Mike Greenberg told about the time he flew on UA and sat next to a company VP. The VP said that in the era of laptops, tablets, and smart phones, he expected that screens, whether overhead or seatback, would disappear, at least on domestic routes. United was finding that a lot of passengers no longer watch movies or other entertainment as part of the IFE. People are watching the entertainment in their devices. Based on that, the VP told Greeny that you might find airlines will still offer movies and other entertainment, but it will be offered through WiFi connection.

A lot of people no longer watch network television or cable channel programs, when they air live (except for sports). They watch on demand. So, if someone is flying MIA-LGA and just put a full season of a show on a tablet, why would they watch was is on the seatback entertainment?

E. But, the question I have is whether the MAX has audio entertainment in the armrest? If you're like me, where you still watch TV programming as it's aired and listen to music in the car via the radio or CDs, then an 737MAX with no IFE will be like flying on an MD-80, meaning bring some magazines and/or books to read in-flight.

F, It seems to me that if the airlines are getting rid of seatback entertainment, then the seatback should have a way to hold a tablet or smartphone, especially in F. If you are served a meal, then do you put the Kindle/iPad/Galaxy Tab or phone/iPhone?

OB1504

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:00 pm

ccs757 wrote:
Interestingly the flight was scheduled to be operated by N234RA (LN 6515), the first MAX delivered to AA which had been at MIA for a couple of days already, up until just a few hours before the flight when it was swapped by N304RB (LN 6675), the second MAX delivered which flew from Tulsa overnight.

The reason for the swap was because 3RA was parked at a remote stand and would have to be towed to the terminal. 3RB was already going to be at a gate and it was easier to just use that airplane for the flight.

ckfred wrote:

No. It’s 33” in rows 9 and 10. The bulkhead and exit rows have more pitch, though.

ckfred wrote:
E. But, the question I have is whether the MAX has audio entertainment in the armrest? If you're like me, where you still watch TV programming as it's aired and listen to music in the car via the radio or CDs, then an 737MAX with no IFE will be like flying on an MD-80, meaning bring some magazines and/or books to read in-flight.

No audio in the armrest, nor drop-down monitors like on the 737-800.

ckfred wrote:
F, It seems to me that if the airlines are getting rid of seatback entertainment, then the seatback should have a way to hold a tablet or smartphone, especially in F. If you are served a meal, then do you put the Kindle/iPad/Galaxy Tab or phone/iPhone?

The economy seats do have a tablet holder with conveniently placed USB port, but interestingly there is no holder in the first class seats, and the power outlet is awkwardly located.

N62NA

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:37 am

OB1504 wrote:
ckfred wrote:

No. It’s 33” in rows 9 and 10. The bulkhead and exit rows have more pitch, though.

What bulkhead? There is none unfortunately.

CairnterriAIR

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:55 am

I ended up on a Southwest Max8 last week.....subbed in for the -800 I was supposed to be on. I actually found it to be a nice ride....very comfortable and quiet.

CairnterriAIR

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:55 am

I ended up on a Southwest Max8 last week.....subbed in for the -800 I was supposed to be on. I actually found it to be a nice ride....very comfortable and quiet.

thebry

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:08 am

ckfred wrote:
The economy seats do have a tablet holder with conveniently placed USB port, but interestingly there is no holder in the first class seats, and the power outlet is awkwardly located.

What gives you that idea? There is most certainly a tablet / phone holder at each First Class seat -- it's integrated into the tray table. It's actually a really cool solution, because the way it flips out, it allows you to simultaneously enjoy tablet programming while also using the tray table for your meal. This is something a lot of people used to struggle with (in First Class).

Personally, I think IFE is useless, with the exception of the maps capability. Programming sucks, and what I have with me on my own iPad or iPhone is always going to be better.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:08 pm

AA seems to be having some kinks with the new satellite wifi on the MAX. Friend of mine flew on the MAX LGA-MIA yesterday and said the wifi was intermittent, only worked for short periods.

ckfred

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:08 pm

thebry wrote:
ckfred wrote:

What gives you that idea? There is most certainly a tablet / phone holder at each First Class seat -- it's integrated into the tray table. It's actually a really cool solution, because the way it flips out, it allows you to simultaneously enjoy tablet programming while also using the tray table for your meal. This is something a lot of people used to struggle with (in First Class).

Personally, I think IFE is useless, with the exception of the maps capability. Programming sucks, and what I have with me on my own iPad or iPhone is always going to be better.

First, OB1504 made the comment about the F seats not having holders for the tablets.

Second, I like AA's IFE. I normally watch movies that I missed at the theater, but haven't come out yet on DVD. Although, I think it was Ian McKellen who said that he refuses to watch movies on airplanes, because too many movies need to be seen on a larger screen. They lose something on the old TV monitors or the seatback screens. He just accumulates NYT and other crossword puzzles and works on those on trans-Atlantic flights.

redwingspilot

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:02 pm

OA940 wrote:
commavia wrote:
OA940 wrote:

It's back to the 757 now https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/275944/american-s18-dallas-anchorage-aircraft-changes-as-of-26nov17/

VC10er

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:25 pm

What is the price difference between best economy class fare and First? I will pay $150 more for F in a single direction depending on the length of the flight. Their strategy is working: economy is such hell, you pay upwards

A320FlyGuy

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:01 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
ccs757 wrote:
AA quietly launched the 737 MAX operation yesterday November 29th. I was on the inaugural flight AA292 MIA-LGA and the whole experience was just disAAppointing. The aircraft is a clear step backwards in step in terms of passenger comfort, the WiFi did not perform up to expectation, and while I didn't expect too much fanfare, with the exception of a few balloons at the gate and a 737 MAX sticker handed to some passengers by the cabin crew upon boarding there was really nothing that made it stand out from any other normal, routinary flight. No speeches, no water salutes, no special welcome, and almost no mention of the 737 MAX or the fact that it was the inaugural flight by the crew. It was all very low profile and going almost unnoticed. AA didn't even make mention of it on their social media platforms.

Interestingly the flight was scheduled to be operated by N234RA (LN 6515), the first MAX delivered to AA which had been at MIA for a couple of days already, up until just a few hours before the flight when it was swapped by N304RB (LN 6675), the second MAX delivered which flew from Tulsa overnight.

I wrote a full report on the flight including plenty of pictures on Airways: https://airwaysmag.com/special-flights/ ... ht-photos/

Geez, you might have well have the funeral for the MAX already. The boneyards better get ready for arrival. Why even go with that attitude? You think it's helpful to readers just to whine about what we already know? And the controversial move wasn't 30 inches of pitch. That's becoming the standard. The controversy was the proposal for some rows to go down to 29", which AA backed away from. And I see a nice little plug for DL that is misleading at best. DL is doing the opposite and increasing legroom? Where? You do know they are the legacy leader in reducing pitch, creating dense configurations, and already have over half of their domestic fleet down to the same 30" of pitch, right?

No wonder I don't bother reading Airways. It's just a misinformed fan site. It's not professional journalism that's helpful for inquiring minds.

I fully agree.....I wouldn't spend money on a subscription...and if AA had paid for that article as some form of promotion, I sincerely hope they get their money back...The 737 MAX is simply a band-aid solution to try and eek more money out of an out of date and not terribly competitive airframe.

(and I hear the train that takes the fuselage to Renton now just goes directly south and dumps them in Victorville....)

I may be biased towards Airbus, but I will take an A320NEO any day over a 737MAX.

F27500

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:14 pm

BMWdrvr75 wrote:
777PHX wrote:
It's just another 737, no one cares including AA.

WN cared...GK called it a "game changer" with their "cutting edge galleys" so the FA's could use trays was all the talk..... And wow all the comments from WN employees when the MAX arrived in DAL you would've thought they received a 787...... (rolling my eyes)

"Still use trays"? I thought they used trays all the time.

Never understood the tray (as opposed to cart) style of beverage service .. its a lot less efficient, takes longer and creates more traffic in the aisles (and is more spill-prone).

Why do WN and B6 insist on this method of service instead of using the carts .. which are on board in the galleys anyway?

Narfish641

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Geez, It didn't look too bad in the video, but I will like to give them a try anyways. Besides the seats and lack of IFE for AA, I like a quiet cabin. But it is a shame to see airlines stuffing more seats. Just like everyone said, this has been a trend now for a long time.

4engines4lnghll

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm

commavia wrote:
Slash787 wrote:
A friend of mine told me about this a few hours ago, it is pretty disappointing, no IFE, I expected something better from AA,

These planes do have IFE - just not PTVs in the seat-back. The IFE is streaming to personal devices - that's consistent with the direction in which just about the entire U.S. airline industry - except Delta/JetBlue - is going.

I was always skeptical about the whole BYOD, but I was on a flight recently from PHX-AUS, and I enjoyed the new system. Easy to use and as we progress into the future PTVs will become a thing of the past for domestic travel.

As far as a 737MAX being used for long routes like DFW-ANC, it will be full to and from. Unfortunately if you want to pay for Y and fly non-stop in 2017, you'll have to suffer.

JAAlbert

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:52 pm

American 767 wrote:
I understand how frustrated passengers could be because of the reduced legroom in the new 737MAX, but one positive aspect of the new airplane is how quiet it is on take off, even quieter than on current 737 NG variants. I haven't flown on the MAX yet, I just read in the posted article about the quietness of the engines. Other than the lack of IFE onboard, I don't think that flying on the MAX will be too different from flying on the current 800 variant. Thanks for posting the link, I enjoyed reading it.

At least one av-geek has given a dreadful review of AA's MAX. It seems he tried to be positive, but his description of the cramped seats sounds just awful. I just don't see me looking forward to a flight on this (or I suppose soon) any AA aircraft.

https://airwaysmag.com/special-flights/ ... ht-photos/

Samrnpage

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 pm

What is southwests seat pitch like in comparison ?

OzarkD9S

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 pm

They're almost forcing you to pay for premium economy if you're over 5'10" or have long legs. I'm 5'11 and have a 32" inseam and I purchased premium economy for the (rumor has it) atrocious legroom on the 319. Read a few reviews and felt I could handle it on the <90 minute MIA-GCM leg of my next trip but not the 3 hour STL-MIA segment. Ended up doing all 4 flights in premium. (Christmas present to myself!) :santahat:

Jshank83

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 am

Samrnpage wrote:
What is southwests seat pitch like in comparison ?

-700's are 31
-800/8Max are 32-33

If you get a -800/Max with newer seats it has seems like there is lots of room (in comparison). They are thinner (at least on the back side)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos