User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:47 am

JQ/QF have cancelled flights for this evening for Bali due to changing conditions

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pas ... oves-back/

Flights that have operated today include

JQ44 Bali–Melbourne
JQ107 Bali–Perth
JQ109 Bali–Perth
JQ7006 Bali–Perth
JQ7012 Bali–Adelaide
QF7048 Bali-Perth
Flights cancelled include

JQ36 Bali–Melbourne
JQ38 Bali–Sydney
JQ101 Bali–Townsville (3 December)
JQ116 Bali–Singapore
JQ117 Bali–Perth (3 December)
JQ128 Bali–Adelaide
JQ7008 Bali–Perth
QF44 Bali-Sydney

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/travel-alerts

VA cancelled flights

Cancelled flights from Bali
Saturday 2 December 2017
VA46 Denpasar – Brisbane
VA34 Denpasar – Sydney, 
VA9556 Denpasar – Darwin
 
Cancelled flights from Australia
Saturday 2 December 2017
VA35 Sydney – Denpasar
VA41 Brisbane – Denpasar
VA54 Denpasar – Port Headland
VA55 Port Headland – Denpasar  

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/b ... el-alerts/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:08 am

The VN 787 departed PER this morning going to HAN (3230nm from PER for anyone interested), seems to be visiting PER for trade talks

Image

https://twitter.com/PerthAirport/status ... 5186742273

South African Airways celebrates 60 years flying to PER

http://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/cor ... s-in-perth
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 am

Air Canada's first flight to MEL is on its way!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA37
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1279
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:55 am

Qantas16 wrote:
log0008 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

That makes sense for BKK, but not HKG - that would be a huge way out of the way and id expect pax would likely go via SIN on SG instead of HK. Im wondering if it was really just some throwaway routes so that both sides could say they had a win?


HKG currently holds the largest market share of Australia - CMB traffic (Pre CMB-MEL direct)


Also I believe QF already codeshares on CMB-SIN, so would simply be another option for pax in BNE/SYD/MEL/PER.


No doubt they do. But i doubt the numbers on either of these are all that big.

Still surprised there isnt CMB-India on the codeshare list between QF and UL.
 
smi0006
Posts: 1463
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 am

qf789 wrote:
JQ/QF have cancelled flights for this evening for Bali due to changing conditions

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pas ... oves-back/

Flights that have operated today include

JQ44 Bali–Melbourne
JQ107 Bali–Perth
JQ109 Bali–Perth
JQ7006 Bali–Perth
JQ7012 Bali–Adelaide
QF7048 Bali-Perth
Flights cancelled include

JQ36 Bali–Melbourne
JQ38 Bali–Sydney
JQ101 Bali–Townsville (3 December)
JQ116 Bali–Singapore
JQ117 Bali–Perth (3 December)
JQ128 Bali–Adelaide
JQ7008 Bali–Perth
QF44 Bali-Sydney

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/travel-alerts

VA cancelled flights

Cancelled flights from Bali
Saturday 2 December 2017
VA46 Denpasar – Brisbane
VA34 Denpasar – Sydney, 
VA9556 Denpasar – Darwin
 
Cancelled flights from Australia
Saturday 2 December 2017
VA35 Sydney – Denpasar
VA41 Brisbane – Denpasar
VA54 Denpasar – Port Headland
VA55 Port Headland – Denpasar  

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/b ... el-alerts/


Interesting I wonder why they didn’t dedicate a 788 to DPS-PER as opposed to flying to MEL, pack it to the gills and do a semi shuttle, dump people in PER who can then connect to MEL&BNE. Sure it’s a long way but would help to clear the back log. With so many rolling cancellations the network must be heavily impacted anyway.
Last edited by smi0006 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
smi0006
Posts: 1463
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Air Canada's first flight to MEL is on its way!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA37


Great to see! This is the last new carrier to arrive for MEL that’s been announced? UL,JL,LA and Tianjin- busy year. Wonder if we’ll see any new carrier snext year.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:41 am

smi0006 wrote:
Interesting I wonder why they didn’t dedicate a 788 to DPS-PER as opposed to flying to MEL, pack it to the gills and do a semi shuttle, dump people in PER who can then connect to MEL&BNE. Sure it’s a long way but would help to clear the back log. With so many rolling cancellations the network must be heavily impacted anyway.


I would presume that would be a crewing issue, given they don't have 787 crew in PER. If they were going to do this though, DRW would probably be the more logical point... or even SIN. Plenty of QF Group capacity ex-SIN to all the major capitals. I wonder how long this will go on for before you see airlines start to withdraw / cut back from DPS in the future... This is not the first time it has happened and there is every chance it will continue to happen regularly for years to come.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:51 am

Qantas16 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Interesting I wonder why they didn’t dedicate a 788 to DPS-PER as opposed to flying to MEL, pack it to the gills and do a semi shuttle, dump people in PER who can then connect to MEL&BNE. Sure it’s a long way but would help to clear the back log. With so many rolling cancellations the network must be heavily impacted anyway.


I would presume that would be a crewing issue, given they don't have 787 crew in PER. If they were going to do this though, DRW would probably be the more logical point... or even SIN. Plenty of QF Group capacity ex-SIN to all the major capitals. I wonder how long this will go on for before you see airlines start to withdraw / cut back from DPS in the future... This is not the first time it has happened and there is every chance it will continue to happen regularly for years to come.


Last time there was a volcano eruption around DPS JQ did use multiple A320 services on DPS-PER then passengers were put on QF services to their respective cities. Agree about the 787 crewing issue. I think we will see this happen once they can get a few days of recovery happening. Lets hope things settle down quickly as QF in particular will have all their metal flying in another week with frequency increases on multiple routes

JQ has also cancelled all flights for tomorrow

JQ37 Sydney-Bali
JQ43 Melbourne-Bali
JQ44 Bali-Melbourne
JQ57 Brisbane-Bali
JQ83 Darwin-Bali
JQ90 Cairns-Bali
JQ101 Bali-Townsville
JQ106 Perth-Bali
JQ109 Bali-Perth
JQ110 Perth-Bali
JQ116 Perth-Bali
JQ117 Singapore-Bali
JQ117 Bali-Perth
JQ117 Singapore-Bali (4 December)
JQ127 Adelaide-Bali

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/travel-alerts
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4733
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Im dumb founded by the number of cancelled services ex-DPS. Other carriers continue to operate services clearing the backlog which should hopefully clear Monday / Tuesday week.

So good to be back Aussie soil.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:34 am

VA has planned 3 recovery flights from DPS today

Recovery flights from Denpasar
Sunday 3 December 2017 
VA44 Denpasar - Brisbane **Scheduled to depart at 3.55pm Denpasar local time 
VA9542 Denpasar - Brisbane **Scheduled to depart at 2.15pm Denpasar local time 
VA36 Denpasar - Darwin - Sydney **Scheduled to depart at 3.40pm Denpasar local time 
 
Cancelled flights from Australia
Sunday 3 December 2017
VA33 Sydney – Denpasar
VA43 Brisbane – Denpasar

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/b ... el-alerts/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:39 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Actually, TPE capacity has increased significantly in the last few years already. Went from being 2x weekly BR and 3x weekly CI to being 4-5x weekly BR and 4-5x weekly CI - nearly double the capacity.

Oh, when you said "recent," I assumed that you meant more recent than a "few years" ago, or even 18 months ago, but okay.
BR will struggle to compete, based on product (CI's new A350), frequency (CI's new daily service), and code-shares (by QF).
Cheers,
C.

CI BNE flights will remain A330- not A350. We will see if the increase to daily remains sustainable. FYI BR increased to 5x/week earlier and dropped back to 4x/week (and schedule reverted to aircraft spending the day in BNE) .
 
USAOZ
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:04 am

eta unknown wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Actually, TPE capacity has increased significantly in the last few years already. Went from being 2x weekly BR and 3x weekly CI to being 4-5x weekly BR and 4-5x weekly CI - nearly double the capacity.

Oh, when you said "recent," I assumed that you meant more recent than a "few years" ago, or even 18 months ago, but okay.
BR will struggle to compete, based on product (CI's new A350), frequency (CI's new daily service), and code-shares (by QF).
Cheers,
C.

CI BNE flights will remain A330- not A350. We will see if the increase to daily remains sustainable. FYI BR increased to 5x/week earlier and dropped back to 4x/week (and schedule reverted to aircraft spending the day in BNE) .
BR BNE flights going to B787 later in 2018 apparently
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5688
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:30 am

eta unknown wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
Actually, TPE capacity has increased significantly in the last few years already. Went from being 2x weekly BR and 3x weekly CI to being 4-5x weekly BR and 4-5x weekly CI - nearly double the capacity.

Oh, when you said "recent," I assumed that you meant more recent than a "few years" ago, or even 18 months ago, but okay.
BR will struggle to compete, based on product (CI's new A350), frequency (CI's new daily service), and code-shares (by QF).
Cheers,
C.

CI BNE flights will remain A330- not A350. We will see if the increase to daily remains sustainable. FYI BR increased to 5x/week earlier and dropped back to 4x/week (and schedule reverted to aircraft spending the day in BNE) .


CI a while back said the A350 would serve BNE from December, nothing since though. I think it’s pnly daily till FEB then back to 5 weekly?
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:05 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Oh, when you said "recent," I assumed that you meant more recent than a "few years" ago, or even 18 months ago, but okay.
BR will struggle to compete, based on product (CI's new A350), frequency (CI's new daily service), and code-shares (by QF).
Cheers,
C.

CI BNE flights will remain A330- not A350. We will see if the increase to daily remains sustainable. FYI BR increased to 5x/week earlier and dropped back to 4x/week (and schedule reverted to aircraft spending the day in BNE) .


CI a while back said the A350 would serve BNE from December, nothing since though. I think it’s pnly daily till FEB then back to 5 weekly?

Daily till end of Feb before dropping back to 4 weekly for March. S18 schedule currently shows daily ops from 25 Mar.

Cheers
Michael
 
waoz1
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:30 pm

I know there was discussion about Thai lion air Aussie flights
Saw this pic off here

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Thai-Lio ... 43/4720487
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:48 pm

ACCC is expected to hand down a draft determination of the QF/EK alliance in January with a final decision to be made in March

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 87eea6db9d
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Update on Bali flights

Both JQ and QF will resume flights Monday, this includes taking passengers to DPS from Australia

VA is still monitoring the situation and will make a decision on Monday whether to resume normal services or not

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/jet ... gers-bali/
Forum Moderator
 
waoz1
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Air New Zealand open their new lounge in Perth on the 5th which will be open to star alliance partners south african and thai airways

https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zealan ... ass-lounge
 
QF744ER
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:35 am

Is QF bringing the JetConnect/ZK registered B738's back onto the VH register a way of increasing their utilisation within Aust to enable more services without the need for additional frames?
 
tullamarine
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:42 am

VA has obviously given up on Melbourne Airport ever redeveloping T3 and has instead embarked on extensive modifications that will see Premium Entry with direct entry to The Lounge, security moving forward so there is a single point with The Lounge etc past security, additional access points so T4 retail precinct is accessible without going through another security point and automated check-in and luggage facilities in a revamped check-in hall, and more luggage carousels in the baggage claim area..https://travel.virginaustralia.com/au/blog/redevelopment-plans-melbourne-airport-domestic-terminal ... probably not ideal but a step forward nevertheless.

I always hoped that T3 would be incorporated into the international precinct overcoming the major issues T2 is already suffering and a new T5 being built south of T4 for VA. This is probably too much for Melbourne Airport who are more interested in running a shopping centre than an airport.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
tullamarine
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 am

Looking at VA's concept sketches of the updated MEL T3, it appears that a new addition will be built immediately south of the existing T3 incorporating a ramp into T4. I assume this will direct all general pax to a new screening point and the T4 retail area. I assume the existing access point will be significantly reconfigured solely for premium pax (Gold, Lounge, Club etc) with their security access taking them straight into the lounge.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
zkncj
Posts: 2480
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:31 am

tullamarine wrote:
I always hoped that T3 would be incorporated into the international precinct overcoming the major issues T2 is already suffering and a new T5 being built south of T4 for VA. This is probably too much for Melbourne Airport who are more interested in running a shopping centre than an airport.


I guess its pretty hard for an airport company to invest into an terminal project if they can be sure the said airline needing will be around in 5 years time.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:12 am

QantasLink has started flights to Kangaroo Island today from ADL

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... l-flights/
Forum Moderator
 
zkncj
Posts: 2480
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 am

waoz1 wrote:
Air New Zealand open their new lounge in Perth on the 5th which will be open to star alliance partners south african and thai airways

https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zealan ... ass-lounge


Curious to see if the Lounge opening will bring any route developments, maybe an peak season PER-WLG service from late 2018 with the A321NEO?
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 5688
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 am

zkncj wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
Air New Zealand open their new lounge in Perth on the 5th which will be open to star alliance partners south african and thai airways

https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zealan ... ass-lounge


Curious to see if the Lounge opening will bring any route developments, maybe an peak season PER-WLG service from late 2018 with the A321NEO?


I very much doubt it. NZ haven’t ordered the 321LR.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:43 am

zkncj wrote:
I guess its pretty hard for an airport company to invest into an terminal project if they can be sure the said airline needing will be around in 5 years time.


Man, cheer up. You can't be sure of any airline being around in 5 years. But you can be reasonably confident in passenger growth, which has generally outstripped predictions over the past 30 years. So you, Captain Airport, need to plan for that rather than the fortunes of an individual airline.

Personally I see T1 eventually being subsumed into the international terminal and a new T5 built for QF next door to Jetstar at T4. Makes for a lot mire sense longer term than boxing in the existing international terminal.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4733
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:25 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
zkncj wrote:
I guess its pretty hard for an airport company to invest into an terminal project if they can be sure the said airline needing will be around in 5 years time.


Man, cheer up. You can't be sure of any airline being around in 5 years. But you can be reasonably confident in passenger growth, which has generally outstripped predictions over the past 30 years. So you, Captain Airport, need to plan for that rather than the fortunes of an individual airline.

Personally I see T1 eventually being subsumed into the international terminal and a new T5 built for QF next door to Jetstar at T4. Makes for a lot mire sense longer term than boxing in the existing international terminal.


Personally I see QF consolidate their International, Domestic & Regional Ops under the 1 roof just like PER.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
ben175
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:02 pm

I just had a thought... with China-Australia traffic skyrocketing and the one airline per route policy, why hasn't one of the secondary carriers like Hainan or Beijing Capital snuck in and launched PEK/PVG-PER from MU or CA?
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:03 pm

EK413 wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
zkncj wrote:
I guess its pretty hard for an airport company to invest into an terminal project if they can be sure the said airline needing will be around in 5 years time.


Man, cheer up. You can't be sure of any airline being around in 5 years. But you can be reasonably confident in passenger growth, which has generally outstripped predictions over the past 30 years. So you, Captain Airport, need to plan for that rather than the fortunes of an individual airline.

Personally I see T1 eventually being subsumed into the international terminal and a new T5 built for QF next door to Jetstar at T4. Makes for a lot mire sense longer term than boxing in the existing international terminal.


Personally I see QF consolidate their International, Domestic & Regional Ops under the 1 roof just like PER.

EK413

If they do build T5 for either VA or QF I would assume that they build the terminal with consolidation in mind.

However I agree that APAC never tries to run an airport in the first place. All they care is more shops, and man I really hate being forced to walk through shops post T2 immigration area. Not hard to figure why VA is doing this - passenger experience and the ability to handle more flights is probably the last thing they concern.

Michael
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:04 pm

EK's 3rd daily service to BNE started over the weekend, that EK430/431
Forum Moderator
 
Sylus
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:50 pm

zkncj wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
Air New Zealand open their new lounge in Perth on the 5th which will be open to star alliance partners south african and thai airways

https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zealan ... ass-lounge


Curious to see if the Lounge opening will bring any route developments, maybe an peak season PER-WLG service from late 2018 with the A321NEO?



I could see there being demand for a seasonal 2 weekly 321Neo WLG-PER service. We have mentioned CHC-PER on the 321Neo over on the NZ forum a few times however I don't think we came to a conclusion as to whether the A321NEO could do CHC/WLG-PER.

CHC-PER is 2730NM
WLG-PER is 2840NM

On paper both are well within the range of the 321NEO so for CHC what's stopping the 321NEO from doing the route? Headwinds? For WLG I don't think the 321NEO would be powerful enough to reach PER off WLG's short runway.

Given there really isn't any important connections either way on the CHC-PER sector, perhaps a more frequent service year round on the 321Neo would be more suitable than the premium 787. Having said that, I don't know what the yeilds are like on this route.
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 4842
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:39 pm

tullamarine wrote:
This is probably too much for Melbourne Airport who are more interested in running a shopping centre than an airport.


eamondzhang wrote:
However I agree that APAC never tries to run an airport in the first place. All they care is more shops, and man I really hate being forced to walk through shops post T2 immigration area.


To be fair, this is not something specific to Melbourne, but rather true of airports everywhere. Of the international airports I have visited around the world, the only one I can recall which didn't direct passengers through shops was Podgorica. I find it rather annoying too, a monument to a pervasive materialistic culture.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Celebrating the Bicentenary of the Birth of Bahá'u'lláh, 21-22 October 2017
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
This is probably too much for Melbourne Airport who are more interested in running a shopping centre than an airport.


eamondzhang wrote:
However I agree that APAC never tries to run an airport in the first place. All they care is more shops, and man I really hate being forced to walk through shops post T2 immigration area.


To be fair, this is not something specific to Melbourne, but rather true of airports everywhere. Of the international airports I have visited around the world, the only one I can recall which didn't direct passengers through shops was Podgorica. I find it rather annoying too, a monument to a pervasive materialistic culture.

V/F

True I admit that, but at least in many of the airports you're not forced through the corridor, or at least the corridor is wide enough so you can easily skip it. Unlike MEL, already a tiny space in T2 and they're squeezing for more shops than ever.

And, many of those at least can cope with the increased number of passengers. MEL, duh. Unless you're flying international at 2-4pm that may be a bit better.

Michael
 
tullamarine
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:25 pm

Personally I see QF consolidate their International, Domestic & Regional Ops under the 1 roof just like PER.


Not trying to be a smart@r$e, but QF are already under the one roof at MEL (as are VA for that matter) but I know what you mean.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
smi0006
Posts: 1463
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:31 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
This is probably too much for Melbourne Airport who are more interested in running a shopping centre than an airport.


eamondzhang wrote:
However I agree that APAC never tries to run an airport in the first place. All they care is more shops, and man I really hate being forced to walk through shops post T2 immigration area.


To be fair, this is not something specific to Melbourne, but rather true of airports everywhere. Of the international airports I have visited around the world, the only one I can recall which didn't direct passengers through shops was Podgorica. I find it rather annoying too, a monument to a pervasive materialistic culture.

V/F

True I admit that, but at least in many of the airports you're not forced through the corridor, or at least the corridor is wide enough so you can easily skip it. Unlike MEL, already a tiny space in T2 and they're squeezing for more shops than ever.

And, many of those at least can cope with the increased number of passengers. MEL, duh. Unless you're flying international at 2-4pm that may be a bit better.

Michael


In fairness, this all comes back to consumers and shareholders. Consumers want cheap tickets, so airlines will only agree to minimal charges from the airport company, who in turn need to find some way of making revenue of their expensive assets. Thus minimal investments in the aviation infrastructure. Tricky in regulated monopoly sense as the pricing and revenue are agreed in a backwards format. Only better option is public airports, not sure how popular that would be.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm

VA has put off announcing the new 737 business class seat, dubbed the Perth Product. This was due to be announced this month however has been on hold now VA has said that not being able to get more Hong Kong slots is the reason behind the delay

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ss-on-hold
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 pm

QF's 2nd 789 returning to PAE after a test flight

Image

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/937797334741557249
Forum Moderator
 
waoz1
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 pm

qf789 wrote:
VA has put off announcing the new 737 business class seat, dubbed the Perth Product. This was due to be announced this month however has been on hold now VA has said that not being able to get more Hong Kong slots is the reason behind the delay

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ss-on-hold


Maybe thats just code for Hong Kong isnt doing as well as we thought :)
 
sq256
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 pm

waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
VA has put off announcing the new 737 business class seat, dubbed the Perth Product. This was due to be announced this month however has been on hold now VA has said that not being able to get more Hong Kong slots is the reason behind the delay

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ss-on-hold


Maybe thats just code for Hong Kong isnt doing as well as we thought :)


VA are effectively flying on behalf of the HX (Part of the Hainan group, who also owns 20% of VA) as a joint venture on the Oz-HKG routes as the bilaterals on the HKG end to the "Big 4" cities are exhausted (most of the slots taken by CX). In other words HX are also partially covering the costs of VA flying on their behalf.

Knowing OZ and HKG refusing to talk about bilaterals, as well as hostility between QF and CX (in addition to slots in HKG almost full and HX having to shuffle slots around to accomodate VA's flights) this arrangement is unlikely to change anytime soon.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1279
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 am

A question ive been meaning to ask for a while - what was the policy/strategy reason for building separate international and domestic terminals at Australian airports (eg SYD, BNE, PER etc). Now it is clearly viewed as a second rate solution, with a preference to have operations in one walkable terminal, but at the time this must not have been such a large concern. Id be interested in hearing from people who might know more about this (including those who might have been connected to the industry back then) to know why it was done. Space might have been an issue for some (eg SYD) but for places like BNE and PER i dont understand why the terminals were built separated. Thanks in advance.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:16 am

waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
VA has put off announcing the new 737 business class seat, dubbed the Perth Product. This was due to be announced this month however has been on hold now VA has said that not being able to get more Hong Kong slots is the reason behind the delay

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ss-on-hold


Maybe thats just code for Hong Kong isnt doing as well as we thought :)


Smiley face. Really? Difficulties on a new route make you happy? Weird. then again, you're clearly pretty anti-Va regardless.

But it does sound like a bollacky reason to delay announcement of the "Perth Product", although if they're not confident of redeploying the A330s I guess that kinda explains it. I'm a big fan of the Virgin Mint idea. I hope they go ahead with it and don't screw it up.
 
waoz1
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:24 am

aerokiwi wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
VA has put off announcing the new 737 business class seat, dubbed the Perth Product. This was due to be announced this month however has been on hold now VA has said that not being able to get more Hong Kong slots is the reason behind the delay

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ss-on-hold


Maybe thats just code for Hong Kong isnt doing as well as we thought :)


Smiley face. Really? Difficulties on a new route make you happy? Weird. then again, you're clearly pretty anti-Va regardless.

But it does sound like a bollacky reason to delay announcement of the "Perth Product", although if they're not confident of redeploying the A330s I guess that kinda explains it. I'm a big fan of the Virgin Mint idea. I hope they go ahead with it and don't screw it up.


Owe dear someone take their grumpy pills today.
As for being anti virgin crap i fly virgin all the time. This anti qantas and anti virgin to put people down is rubbish.

Its just another reason virgin doesnt do well as it should it just chops and changes too much. There is no clear direction.
Last edited by waoz1 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:25 am

smi0006 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:



To be fair, this is not something specific to Melbourne, but rather true of airports everywhere. Of the international airports I have visited around the world, the only one I can recall which didn't direct passengers through shops was Podgorica. I find it rather annoying too, a monument to a pervasive materialistic culture.

V/F

True I admit that, but at least in many of the airports you're not forced through the corridor, or at least the corridor is wide enough so you can easily skip it. Unlike MEL, already a tiny space in T2 and they're squeezing for more shops than ever.

And, many of those at least can cope with the increased number of passengers. MEL, duh. Unless you're flying international at 2-4pm that may be a bit better.

Michael


In fairness, this all comes back to consumers and shareholders. Consumers want cheap tickets, so airlines will only agree to minimal charges from the airport company, who in turn need to find some way of making revenue of their expensive assets. Thus minimal investments in the aviation infrastructure. Tricky in regulated monopoly sense as the pricing and revenue are agreed in a backwards format. Only better option is public airports, not sure how popular that would be.

And that's IMHO the exact reason why many Western World airports (USA & AusNZ in particular) are unable to build modern terminal/runway/etc. to accommodate the growth needs while the Japanese/Chinese/Singaporean ones can.... :duck: Now I'm saying this in the concept of existing airports, not the new ones like SWZ.

Michael
 
TG788
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 am

waoz1 wrote:
I know there was discussion about Thai lion air Aussie flights
Saw this pic off here

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Thai-Lio ... 43/4720487


Not sure if it was the same plane, but I saw a Thai Lion Air 333 parked at DMK on 25/11 and 2/12. The design on the tail fin is quite attractive :)
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 6981
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 am

qf2220 wrote:
A question ive been meaning to ask for a while - what was the policy/strategy reason for building separate international and domestic terminals at Australian airports (eg SYD, BNE, PER etc). Now it is clearly viewed as a second rate solution, with a preference to have operations in one walkable terminal, but at the time this must not have been such a large concern. Id be interested in hearing from people who might know more about this (including those who might have been connected to the industry back then) to know why it was done. Space might have been an issue for some (eg SYD) but for places like BNE and PER i dont understand why the terminals were built separated. Thanks in advance.


At the most fundamental level this is due to Australia (and New Zealand for that matter) opting not to comply with ICAO standards for domestic flights and they must therefore be strictly segregated. Just about anywhere else in the world domestic and international flights are operated to the same security standards, but for various reasons that is not the case here.

As to why the terminals are not co-located that is a matter of history more than anything else. Take BNE, when the “new” Brisbane Airport was built domestic was moved down there whereas international stayed at the old Eagle Farm international terminal. When this facility was eventually replaced the new international terminal was built basically next door to the old terminal. Due to the cargo facilities it wouldn’t have been possible to put international next to the domestic terminal.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1279
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
A question ive been meaning to ask for a while - what was the policy/strategy reason for building separate international and domestic terminals at Australian airports (eg SYD, BNE, PER etc). Now it is clearly viewed as a second rate solution, with a preference to have operations in one walkable terminal, but at the time this must not have been such a large concern. Id be interested in hearing from people who might know more about this (including those who might have been connected to the industry back then) to know why it was done. Space might have been an issue for some (eg SYD) but for places like BNE and PER i dont understand why the terminals were built separated. Thanks in advance.


At the most fundamental level this is due to Australia (and New Zealand for that matter) opting not to comply with ICAO standards for domestic flights and they must therefore be strictly segregated. Just about anywhere else in the world domestic and international flights are operated to the same security standards, but for various reasons that is not the case here.

As to why the terminals are not co-located that is a matter of history more than anything else. Take BNE, when the “new” Brisbane Airport was built domestic was moved down there whereas international stayed at the old Eagle Farm international terminal. When this facility was eventually replaced the new international terminal was built basically next door to the old terminal. Due to the cargo facilities it wouldn’t have been possible to put international next to the domestic terminal.


Thanks Ryanair - I get what you're saying re ICAO, though that hasn't stopped MEL from being essentially the same building (albeit with different processes and no interflow between INT and DOM pax. The second part of your answer seems to indicate an operational reason for BNE that would have added capital cost to the project (ie relocation of cargo) being the reason?
 
waoz1
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 am

Air NZ lounge opened in Perth today

Looking a bit snazzy
Review is here https://www.ausbt.com.au/review-air-new ... ass-lounge
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3716
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:14 am

Forum Moderator
 
sq256
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:33 am

waoz1 wrote:
Its just another reason virgin doesnt do well as it should it just chops and changes too much. There is no clear direction.


Also partly due to having 3 major shareholders for most of their life since they rebranded from DJ to VA. 3 airline groups wanting VA to do different things also didn't help their bottom line.

NZ recent exit from VA (and basically becoming frenemies after the much publicised board bust-up), EY rumoured to be exiting VA in favour of investing in the (even bigger) financial basketcase that is Alitialia, and SQ basically coy on their future in VA's shareholding. Their financial sources are basically only the Chinese groups (Hainan & Nanshan) and a minor shareholding from the Virgin UK group.

I would hope VA's direction would be made more clear in the short to medium term for their sakes with SQ/EY stating their intention whether they intend to exit on their shareholding in VA.

The NZ-VA bust-up prior to NZ's exit had pretty much pushed VA closer towards the Skyteam Alliance with their affiliation to DL. Basically positioning VA as a potential future primarily (Domestic/NZ) Skyteam feeder (with their own TransPacific US flying handed to DL) should push come to shove in regards to Borghetti's future.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2017

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 am

qf789 wrote:


Great news for CNS and CZ!

Does anyone know if CZ/CX/Anyone else will be running flights to OOL this year for CNY? Not sure if they happened this year either but I think in 2016 there were nearly 10 flights all up. Now that HX is there it probably takes away some of the appeal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos