Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Air China suspends FNJ

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 am

Remains to be seen what the effects of this will be. Figured it would be a matter of time, but it happened a lot sooner than I would've guessed.

https://twitter.com/ChinaAvReview/statu ... 9373168640

zakuivcustom

Re: Air China suspends FNJ

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:07 am

Isn't that flight seasonal to begin with?

If so, it's nothing "breaking". Now, no news whether they'll start flight again next Spring, though (If NK still exist by then :rotfl: )

hayzel777

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Isn't that flight seasonal to begin with?

If so, it's nothing "breaking". Now, no news whether they'll start flight again next Spring, though (If NK still exist by then :rotfl: )

It was converted to year-round this year.

oldannyboy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 pm

It's actually surprising, and frankly quite worrying. It speaks heaps on the seriousness of the situation surrounding the current NK crisis. The fact that Air China (China is the main trade partner of NK) decides to halt services to Pyongyang is probably telling us that the otherwise regular stream of Chinese professionals -from industry training personnel, to doctors, to architects and scientists- into NK is diminishing/drying up, and that can only mean that China is probably anticipating a deterioration of the situation, is relinquishing contacts&contracts, and may possibly even foresee some kind of conflict down the line. Please be aware that this comes days after Trump's tour in Asia.
I don't want to read too much into this, but I can't help but draw my own conclusions.

zakuivcustom

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Okay, I guess I was mistaken about the seasonal part.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-21nov17/

On the other hand, as usual CA is citing a lack of demand, similar to the temporary suspension back in April. Of course, personally I doubt it's an economic decision.

eamondzhang

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 pm

It looks like a permanent cancellation since CA has reported withdrew all personnel from FNJ (on its last flight), closed its office and sold of all its assets in North Korea.

The last flight also evacuated one Special Envoy from North Korea.

Ps. Even with all these in mind, the last CA121 carried 7 passengers and CA122 carried 19.... :shock:

Michael

NichCage

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Air Koryo will still the serve the market, even if Air China is gone.

How many Chinese tourists visit North Korea? Otherwise, while this may sound like a dumb question, are North Koreans allowed to visit China?

zakuivcustom

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:29 am

NichCage wrote:

How many Chinese tourists visit North Korea? Otherwise, while this may sound like a dumb question, are North Koreans allowed to visit China?

According to this article from SCMP, about 580k Chinese just in 2nd half of 2016. Official statistics are not available, though (last number at 2012 was 237000)

Do keep in mind, though, most of the visitors are on day trip from Dandong (on China side) to Sinuiju (on NK side). People that take 3-4 days tour that go into Pyongyang and other places are definitely fewer.

http://m.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy- ... te-missile

As for the reverse, I believe in general, no, North Korean can't get out of the country unless they have certain elite status. Not to mention, if they can get out, pretty sure a ton would defect by now :D

RWA380

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:20 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
NichCage wrote:

According to this article from SCMP, about 580k Chinese just in 2nd half of 2016. Official statistics are not available, though (last number at 2012 was 237000)

Do keep in mind, though, most of the visitors are on day trip from Dandong (on China side) to Sinuiju (on NK side). People that take 3-4 days tour that go into Pyongyang and other places are definitely fewer.

http://m.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy- ... te-missile

As for the reverse, I believe in general, no, North Korean can't get out of the country unless they have certain elite status. Not to mention, if they can get out, pretty sure a ton would defect by now :D

You are correct, in most instances their foreign diplomats are sent to their outposts without their families, a way of ensuring the ambassadors return.

Not many are allowed to exit & the vast majority of DPRK citizens will ever see any other countries, except maybe China, but that is still a small amount of people. It's pretty sad how little North Koreans are allowed to learn of the world around them & how bad their situations really are.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos