Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

345tas
Topic Author

CX to go daily, use A35K to TLV

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 am

An interesting interview in the article below with CX's manager in Israel.

Says surprised by big demand for business. From April 2018 the flight will go daily, and they will use the A35K when it arrives.

On some flights a third of pax are transiting from Australia.

I'm also surprised it's doing so well, given the big outbound markets from Israel tend to be the West of the country. However Israelis love to travel so if they are successful in promoting Hong Kong, Vietnam and China as popular tourist destinations there is a lot of room for growth in Y.

Also there is hardly any Hong Kong/Taiwan/mainland China students in Israel, which I assume would be a big source of Y customers for CX on many routes.

LY will put the 789 on the route next year but if CX are largely carrying connecting pax, it may not harm them so much.

http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-cath ... 1001212351

raylee67

Re: CX to go daily, use A35K to TLV

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:52 pm

The business connection between China and Israel is actually enormous, especially in high tech and biotech. Given the connection CX can provide to Chinese business at Pearl River Delta and to Eastern China, the high yield seats are covered. El Al is not able to compete on these.

The Economy Class seats are covered by tourists and Christian pilgrims going to the Holy Land.

However, I would have thought CX would deploy 3-class 77W to this route rather than A350-1000. The two types have almost the same number of seats at each class. Deploying the A350 to North America (e.g. Toronto) or Europe (e.g. Amsterdam) would enable CX to better compete with airlines that it needs to compete head-on. The 77W freed-up can then be used on TLV, where it has more competitive advantage and the route is shorter.

345tas
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Good points, although elsewhere in the interview he seemed to indicate that off-peak loads were not so strong, hence the desire to market certain tourist destinations for Israelis.

Wouldn't the 77W be better for longer routes to US/Europe, rather than A35K? Or you mean the product on the A35K is better so should be used on more competitive routes?

NichCage

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:51 pm

El Al is sadly weak in Asia. They only serve four destinations, BOM and PEK less than daily, and HKG and BKK at six per week.

VCEflyboy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:26 am

Yeah I guess easy to compete when the ME3 refuse to carry you.

zakuivcustom

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:51 am

NichCage wrote:
El Al is sadly weak in Asia. They only serve four destinations, BOM and PEK less than daily, and HKG and BKK at six per week.

El Al doesn't operate ANY flights daily. :) Religious restriction means they don't operates any flights on Jewish Shabbat, which is from Friday evening (Sunset) to around Saturday evening.

Not really many other places in Asia where LY can fly to anyway. There's ICN, which KE already served and I think would be a disaster (money wise) if LY start the route. Same can be said for PVG to certain extent (HU operates that route, 3/wk). Japan maybe, but I don't know if there's that big of a demand (Most tie b/t Japan and Israel are business). SIN I'm not sure whether there will be issues with airspaces (Flying between Malaysia and Indonesia). TPE is easily route through HKG on CX (Don't think the demand is huge anyway). I guess LY can restart flights to ALA or TAS, neither are exactly money-maker, though.

Of course, it never helps that LY has to take a huge detour flying to SE or East Asia.