SANMAN66

Re: California Pacific Airlines trying again to fly

Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 am

Both airlines (CPAir and Caljet) seem to be avoiding the LA area airports. You would think both airlines would want to establish a link between CLD and LAX for starters, either that, maybe service to ONT or BUR?
PSA Gives you a lift!

FA9295

Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
Both airlines (CPAir and Caljet) seem to be avoiding the LA area airports. You would think both airlines would want to establish a link between CLD and LAX for starters, either that, maybe service to ONT or BUR?

There's already way too much competition at the LAX-area airports. They would get swept away before they'd even have a chance to start. Starting at smaller airports allows them to run unique routes that none (or little) airlines have to offer. Also, I think Elite Airways (or another smaller airline) had a LAX-CLD connection that did not last for very long.

wedgetail737

Tue May 29, 2018 12:30 pm

FA9295 wrote:
SANMAN66 wrote:

There's already way too much competition at the LAX-area airports. They would get swept away before they'd even have a chance to start. Starting at smaller airports allows them to run unique routes that none (or little) airlines have to offer. Also, I think Elite Airways (or another smaller airline) had a LAX-CLD connection that did not last for very long.

Yes...they used Fairchild 328 Jets on that route and failed miserably...with only a few passengers on each flight. Elite also flew CLD-LAS using the CRJ-700 and dropped that route. I hope that California Pacific will advertise the heck out there...not just in the Carlsbad/San Diego area. They are already hitting the social media outlets.

MO11

Tue May 29, 2018 1:22 pm

That was actually BizAir, a public charter operated by Ultimate Jet Charters. The LAX service lasted two months while the LAS service lasted a month.

Planeboy17

Tue May 29, 2018 3:43 pm

ridgid727 wrote:
California Pacific took delivery of an EMB145 painted in their colors, and says they will be ready to fly this summer.
https://www.10news.com/news/california- ... m-carlsbad

Robert Hays from “Airplane” was on the flight! That’s worth the price of the flight right there!

hawaiian717

Tue May 29, 2018 4:49 pm

MO11 wrote:
That was actually BizAir, a public charter operated by Ultimate Jet Charters. The LAX service lasted two months while the LAS service lasted a month.

The thing is, CLD-LAX is a market that should have zero local traffic; everyone would be connecting at LAX. So it's really a market that needs codeshare agreements (or interline at the very least), since if you have to deal with exiting security, claiming and rechecking bags, checking in, and going through security again at LAX, you quickly lose the advantages of flying and might as well just drive. Places like CLD-LAS, on the other hand, are far enough to have O&D demand for the route and not just connecting traffic, so an independent carrier like CalJet or California Pacific have a better chance of making it work.

SANMAN66

Wed May 30, 2018 4:20 am

Interesting! I didn't realize that a standalone carrier would not do well on CLD-LAX unless it was a codeshare flight or interline. Now I can see why CPAir and Caljet are avoiding LAX.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANMAN66

Wed May 30, 2018 6:06 am

Flying charter flights before scheduled service is a good start for CPAir.
PSA Gives you a lift!

hawaiian717

Wed May 30, 2018 7:18 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
Interesting! I didn't realize that a standalone carrier would not do well on CLD-LAX unless it was a codeshare flight or interline. Now I can see why CPAir and Caljet are avoiding LAX.

I should clarify that it's just my opinion. Both CLD-LAX and SAN-LAX seem too short to make flying worthwhile unless you're connecting somewhere else, and if there's a lot of hassles involved in the connection, then some alternative like driving yourself, taking a shuttle or Tesloop or similar seems a lot more attractive cost-wise. And in the case of CLD, remember that you're already that much closer to LAX than SAN is; someone in Carlsbad/Oceanside/Vista is a good half hour closer driving than someone from the City of San Diego.

ridgid727

Wed May 30, 2018 7:27 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
Flying charter flights before scheduled service is a good start for CPAir.

ADI, which is now California Pacific has been flying scheduled for several years in addition to charters. They operate EAS scheduled service from Denver to Watertown SD, and Pierre SD as well. Will be interesting to see if they go for more EAS flying in the future.

MO11

Wed May 30, 2018 8:30 pm

ADI applied for several EAS contracts over the last couple of years, but has only been successful at winning PIR and ATY.

SANMAN66

Thu May 31, 2018 11:51 pm

Does an ERJ-145 have the range to make it down to SJD? Does CLD have FIS facilities to handle the
flights to Mexico? CLD-SJD seems a little too ambitious for CPAir. Maybe that's where the E-170s come
into play?
PSA Gives you a lift!

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Aerodynamics says it will utilize the California Pacific branding starting Sept 1st on some of its flying.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

usctrojan18

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:00 pm

CP Air is finally taking to the skies! Can't wait to board a flight in Denver and land in the beautiful beach town of Pierre, SD! :lol:

Utah744

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 pm

[/quote]

Robert Hays from “Airplane” was on the flight! That’s worth the price of the flight right there![/quote]

Was he nervous and sweating?
You are never too old to learn something stupid

janders

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Eff Sept 1st EAS flying rebrands as California Pacific Airlines.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1027422717

Reservations available on the updated website http://www.mycpair.com

Over time aircraft will transition to the new livery also.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

PlanesNTrains

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:55 pm

janders wrote:

Just. Too. Weird.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

RJNUT

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:47 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
janders wrote:

Just. Too. Weird.

It would be weirder if they stayed with the now defunct and moribund Great Lakes platform. Maybe now they can develope their own interline and e ticket arrangements. No one would honor the old ZK agreements, making their EAS service "non-connecting"!

itripreport

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Flew Cal Jet's LAS route 2 times and both flights were oversold. Also when when they dropped the LAS route, I got an email saying they would return once they get ready for a multi aircraft fleet? Can't wait to see how CPA does. And yes, Carlsbad does have the ability to handle international traffic

spinkid

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:18 pm

I wonder if they will offer Carlsbad-Denver service.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:05 am

Or CLD-LAS-DEN?
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

INFINITI329

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
Does an ERJ-145 have the range to make it down to SJD? Does CLD have FIS facilities to handle the
flights to Mexico? CLD-SJD seems a little too ambitious for CPAir. Maybe that's where the E-170s come
into play?

The E145 has more than enough range to make CLD-SJD its only 719nm

usctrojan18

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Surprised this wasn't already posted here as it was posted on the CP Air Facebook page:
https://www.thecoastnews.com/california ... ies-nov-1/

Nov 1st appears to finally be the day for Ted Villas's dream! California Pacific branded jets will finally be caring passengers in and out of CLD. Yes, I know they will be flying out of South Dakota before then, but they will finally hit California skies. Long-Story short for those who don't want to read: They haven't announced their first destinations but said they will first cater to business travelers, so I'm guessing SJC, PHX, OAK, maybe LAS. And in the coming months add a couple leisure spots (SJD is the first that pops in mind). They have a lease signed with the airport and appear to hiring right now.

It's been over 5 years since we were teased with the CP Air E-170, and it appears we will finally see CP Air jets in and out of CLD. Can't wait to give them a try next year if all goes well, congrats Ted and the CP Air team :bigthumbsup:

SANMAN66

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:36 am

I wish them all the luck! I guess technically Denver will be the first major city (to the EAS destinations)? BTW, whatever happened to CalJet? They had so much promise! They simply disappeared.
PSA Gives you a lift!

ridgid727

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:24 am

The article states that back in May the CFO stated that the highest priority would be PHX and SJC and that one company in the Carlsbad area had over 1400 flights (I would assume that meant seats) to PHX alone last year.
It also stated they are hiring flight crews station personell and mechanics to be based at CLD.
I do wonder if they will connect their DEN operation thru to CLD in some way.

It looks like they are also trying to add more EAS flying as they have applied for the services to Alamosa CO, and the city s backing their bid.
https://alamosanews.com/article/alamosa ... ne-service

Midway737

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:54 am

Finally!!!

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:48 am

CP Air announced its launch schedule from Carlsbad.

Eff November 1st - 12x weekly to SJC, 4x weekly RNO. Eff Nov 15th - 3x weekly LAS.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 02881.html

sunking737

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:36 am

As far as I can find out, they have two 145's one is flying out of DEN, to SODAK. Unless they have others someplace. one Tech issue, your schedule turns to crap fast.
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

wedgetail737

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:06 am

LAXintl wrote:
CP Air announced its launch schedule from Carlsbad.

Eff November 1st - 12x weekly to SJC, 4x weekly RNO. Eff Nov 15th - 3x weekly LAS.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 02881.html

RNO really surprised me!

janders

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:21 am

With fuel cost up 40% this year not sure how they expect to make money on an already challanged 50-seater.

Lets see how long the EAS money will help prop up these California routes.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:30 am

I wonder if their business model has changed.

Originally they were talking about more high frequency service to cater to business demand from Carlsbad with proposed 3-5 daily frequencies in markets.
Today’s revealed schedules look more like leisure traffic centric. While SJC does allow same day trips, its hardly very flexible compared to other airline offerings at SAN or SNA, while RNO and LAS schedules are pretty useless for business travel.

hawaiian717

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 am

Looks like a one airplane schedule. Airfleets shows they currently have four, so with the Denver EAS flying and possible charter commitments, I suspect they don’t have additional aircraft to commit to the CLD operation yet.

SANFan

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:57 am

LAXintl wrote:

Originally they were talking about more high frequency service to cater to business demand from Carlsbad with proposed 3-5 daily frequencies in markets.
Today’s revealed schedules look more like leisure traffic centric. While SJC does allow same day trips, its hardly very flexible compared to other airline offerings at SAN or SNA, while RNO and LAS schedules are pretty useless for business travel.

Agreed, It sure looks that way. Certainly not what most of us expected and hopefully, it's a temporary condition. As hawaiian' said, the released sked is using a single airplane, and not terribly efficiently IMO. (And why does LAS not start 'til 2 weeks later? It's still just a single airplane being used.)

SJC might be able to attract some corporate travelers but choices are certainly limited. RNO, perhaps due to a corporate account, seeing more service than Vegas? Hopefully there's a reason for this schedule being what it is.

But still, I will continue to hold my breath until Nov 1 and the first flight departs for SJC. Then we'll see how things develop.

bb

MCIRNO

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:40 pm

SANFan wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
SJC might be able to attract some corporate travelers but choices are certainly limited. RNO, perhaps due to a corporate account, seeing more service than Vegas? Hopefully there's a reason for this schedule being what it is.
bb

That's my guess for RNO. The business climate of California has encouraged many companies to setup shop near RNO...it's beginning to look like a factory and warehouse city.

hawaiian717

Re: Updated: California Pacififc Airlines has a start date! November 1st

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 pm

CLD-AZA will also start November 15: https://www.facebook.com/88522183166199 ... 091239466/

SANFan

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:06 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
CLD-AZA will also start November 15: https://www.facebook.com/88522183166199 ... 091239466/

Looks like AZA service will be 6x week so sounds like a second plane might be joining the fleet on 11/15.

I still find it interesting that AZA and RNO will be seeing more service than Vegas. But, if their desired market remains business travelers, then it does make sense.

This will be interesting to watch as long as the carrier remains conservative with their growth and sensible with their fares..

But I still wait for the first flight to depart on Nov 1 to believe it all!

bb

wedgetail737

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm taking the risk and getting on their inaugural flight SJC-CLD on 11/1.

PSAjet17

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 pm

From their new website:
ABOUT US

California Pacific Airlines is operationally based in Kennesaw, GA., is a certified FAA 121 Air Carrier (Cert# BUEA634C) offering large aircraft flight operations. Long recognized for its core value of operational excellence, CPA has served the industry for over 58 years without incident or accident, one of only two companies operating Regional Jets in the supplemental 121 on-demand regime able to make this claim. CPA operates a fleet of 50 seat regional jets throughout the United States.
http://www.mycpair.com/about.html

SANFan

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:29 am

wedgetail737 wrote:

I hope you can afford to lose the $$ you paid for the ticket D, just in case there is no plane at the gate in SJC when you show up!

Are you flying CP Air back up to SJ or going home from SAN (on AS?)

Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes. I really do hope CP Air makes it this time!

bb

aaway

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:34 am

SANFan wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Agreed, It sure looks that way. Certainly not what most of us expected and hopefully, it's a temporary condition. As hawaiian' said, the released sked is using a single airplane, and not terribly efficiently IMO. (And why does LAS not start 'til 2 weeks later? It's still just a single airplane being used.)....

bb

I'm going to second this observation. Frankly, I was quite surprised to read (elsewhere) that the Town of Mammoth Lakes and Mammoth Lakes Tourism (MLT is the entity charged with the responsibility of disbursement of Mammoth's Minimum Revenue Guarantee funding) were interested in engaging CalPac for potential CLD-MMH service.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

wedgetail737

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:08 am

SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I hope you can afford to lose the $$ you paid for the ticket D, just in case there is no plane at the gate in SJC when you show up!

Are you flying CP Air back up to SJ or going home from SAN (on AS?)

Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes. I really do hope CP Air makes it this time!

bb

Yes...I know I'm taking a pretty significant risk. This is my first time flying on an airline inaugural flight. We'll see how it goes.

I'm flying back the next morning from CLD on CP. I'll take some pics.

spoonman1

Re: Updated: California Pacific Airlines has a start date! November 1st

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Can you already book online with California Pacific? If so, are the rates from Carlsbad competitive?

I would expect some premium for the convenience of using Carlsbad as well as what might be a much nicer in flight experience vs a typical Southwest or United flight. No center seats on the 50 seater.

flyoregon

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm

While I'm rooting for California Pacific to succeed, if having only one airplane is true, it's doomed. As we all know, airplanes break, and with a heavy schedule like they're proposing, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people. At a minimum they need 2 airplanes, if not 3 just to maintain operational reliability.

The website domain name needs to change too. mycpair.com isn't very clear and it's certainly not what people are going to think of when typing in their website. Going to Google first then searching, then clicking the right website just adds more steps and people don't want to deal with it. I get it, it's just a couple more steps, but we live in an impatient age and we want to go straight to it.

I've never been a huge fan of the name California Pacific Airlines either. It's too long and doesn't roll off the tongue.

Plus Aerodynamics, Inc., or ADI, historically has been a crap company. They use to do the Intel Air Shuttle operation in Oregon, Washington, California, and Arizona, and it was a total sh** show. I understand management has changed in the last 6 years, but they've still had their problems.

Hopefully they can right the ship and make CP work. They have a great idea, and CLD is a great airport, but I think there's still a few pieces to the puzzle that need to drop before it'll work smoothly. Happy to be wrong.

KRIC777

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:08 pm

SANFan wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:

I still find it interesting that AZA and RNO will be seeing more service than Vegas. But, if their desired market remains business travelers, then it does make sense.

I could see some leisure travel between AZA-CLD if the route lasts until the summer. Seemingly 50% of the Phoenix metro goes to the San Diego area at some point during the summer to escape the desert heat. Most drive, but I could see some people taking advantage of an air link that is more convenient than Sky Harbor from the East Valley.

ScottB

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:08 pm

SANFan wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:

Looks like AZA service will be 6x week so sounds like a second plane might be joining the fleet on 11/15.

Nah, I think it's still a single aircraft. The AZA flight departs after the RNO/LAS flights return to CLD during the week and arrives back before the evening SJC departure. Looks like they don't operate between 1330 Saturday and 1030 Sunday. There's pretty much no slack in the schedule to allow for maintenance delays.

spoonman1

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm

flyoregon wrote:

I've never been a huge fan of the name California Pacific Airlines either. It's too long and doesn't roll off the tongue.

Maybe they can call it CPA for short and market to Accountants and CFOs. :duck:

drdisque

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 pm

I imagine they'll be bringing a spare online. Several of the aircraft they operated in 2014-2015 are still in storage (owned by Republic Holdings). I imagine they could get a pretty good price from RAH to bring them back to the fleet.

highflier92660

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:05 pm

You have to give Ted Vallas credit. The man is 97-years-old and still attempting to start a new airline.

spoonman1

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:44 am

Absolutely. Huge kudos to Ted Vallas. It’s incredibly refreshing to watch someone follow their dreams. To follow and believe in your vision and not just the conventional wisdom takes guts and really embodies the American spirit. God bless Ted. I wish him success.

spinkid

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 am

They should get the whole network connected. Denver to Carlsbad, or maybe Watertown and Pierre to LAS, at least 2x weekly. If you are already operating there, they can offer connections through to Carlsbad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos