Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maximairways
Topic Author

OneJet Looking to Start BUF-ALB

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 pm

OneJet confirmed it is currently doing due diligence to start BUF-ALB service.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/18/buffa ... the-wings/

WeatherPilot

Re: OneJet Looking to Start BUF-ALB

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:07 am

Aren't they a private jet charter service?

MO11

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
Aren't they a private jet charter service?

It runs scheduled public charters using Beechjets. It is switching to CJ4s next year.

ridgid727

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 am

That would be a good Cape Air route.

Buffalomatt1027

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 am

Not worth it ..... the BUF - ALB service failed for a reason.

ROCDLFAN

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 am

If it's going to happen, I'd route it BUF-ROC-ALB or BUF-SYR-ALB or something among those lines. Non stop from BUF-ALB simply doesn't work, and nothing has changed in the last seven years to prove otherwise.

maximairways
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Confirmed today 2x daily on ERJ-135. Service starts 2/1/18.

http://onejet.com/press-archive/onejet- ... and-albany

RJNUT

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:04 am

WOW the bigger story is the upgrade to EMB135. Total new direction for the company. I wonder if the current markets will eventually upgrade. They have had issues with NO checked luggage and very limited carryon allowance.

stlgph

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:20 am

RJNUT wrote:
WOW the bigger story is the upgrade to EMB135. Total new direction for the company. I wonder if the current markets will eventually upgrade. They have had issues with NO checked luggage and very limited carryon allowance.

Wow, that is a big one. I wonder if they will continue the no checked bag thing and continue with the "valet," saving on fuel from having to haul suitcases. Also gives them access to an airplane with bathrooms and they can use a gate now, if they so choose.

Good for them. I hope they make this work long term.

flymco753

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 am

Is onejet a 121 or 135 certified carrier?

MO11

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 am

flymco753 wrote:
Is onejet a 121 or 135 certified carrier?

Neither. It is a public charter operator. Its aircraft are operated by Contour Aviation (135).

RJNUT

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:56 am

the website calls the upgraded service ONJET PLUS service with more cities to come in 2018, but starting with BUF-ALB

BUFJACK10

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:32 am

I used to fly the route about 10 times a month and the flights were always pretty full. USAir used to run 4 times daily with DC9's BAC111 and Fokker 100's. A lot of banking and State employees were the main clientele. Hopefully it'll do well. They're only offering 60 seats each way so I think they have a good shot at doing well. I think a big reason why service ended was that airlines chose to commit the resources to expansion and more hub centric flying.

Best of luck to them.

zakuivcustom

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 am

Umm...I guess they are trying to become the Great Lakes region of JetsuiteX.

Best of luck to them. Never got to try them even back when they were based in IND.

rj777

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 am

If they put the E135 on the MKE-OMA route, I'm gonna use it big time!

KarlB737

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 am

MO11 wrote:
It runs scheduled public charters using Beechjets. It is switching to CJ4s next year.

Courtesy: Aviation Pros

OneJet Announces Air Service Between Buffalo and Albany

"With the launch of the Buffalo/Albany route, OneJet will introduce its new OneJet Plus service, offering expanded service onboard larger ERJ135 aircraft and providing travelers enhanced amenities, including expanded legroom at each seat; complimentary 4G high-speed Wi-Fi; streaming entertainment gate to gate; and complimentary beer, wine and snacks en route. Travelers will also receive the same check-in conveniences that standard OneJet flights provide, including TSA Pre access for eligible travelers and valet planeside baggage service."

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12386059/onejet-announces-air-service-between-buffalo-and-albany

Buffalomatt1027

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:59 am

ROCDLFAN wrote:
If it's going to happen, I'd route it BUF-ROC-ALB or BUF-SYR-ALB or something among those lines. Non stop from BUF-ALB simply doesn't work, and nothing has changed in the last seven years to prove otherwise.

I agree with this .... i dont think BUF - ALB will survive for very long.

The ticket prices will range from 150 - 170 each way. So 300 ish dollars flight or for 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive on a 30 - 35 dollar tank of gas? Makes no sense. But i would assume that OneJet did their homework and has the data to prove the route can be successful.

OneJet is also going to Raleigh, NC too.

BUFJACK10

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:13 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:

The ticket prices will range from 150 - 170 each way. So 300 ish dollars flight or for 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive on a 30 - 35 dollar tank of gas? Makes no sense. But i would assume that OneJet did their homework and has the data to prove the route can be successful.

I do agree with the comment about the drive cost, however based on my experience that makes the assumption that it's mostly a leisure route which is definitely not the case. In the USAir days the fare would range from $400-$500 dollars RT with no advance and people paid it because the majority were Government employees or elected officials and bankers all traveling on expense accounts. At the national average of about 53.5 cents a mile+ tolls + lodging + meals the cost Onejet is proposing is extremely competitive to people wanting a 1 day trip without needing to overnight. Driving just doesn't allow for it. This route is probably 95% business travel and connections for a 1 day trip are out of the question as well.

I hope they succeed, I know the state commuters will love it.

stlgph

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:05 pm

the OneJet twitter account has a picture of the E135. Granted, it's not a full shot, but better than nothing.

https://twitter.com/OneJetAir

RJNUT

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm

to me their CJ4's are better suited for this new route which would a higher percentage of day trippers. I would think they have some current markets that would be better suited /more developed for the EMB135. It almost seems like a backwards strategy.

Bobloblaw

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
ROCDLFAN wrote:

OneJet is also going to Raleigh, NC too.

Making those short hops is a giant money loser. The second largest city in NY to the state capital over 300 miles should work with the beeches flying SYR/ROC-ALB nonstop

Flighty

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Shocked/interested to hear that multiple mainline jets used to serve these routes. They were pretty dead when they were last served in the early to mid 2000s. I am thinking B1900s half full, maybe 2 per day.

Good luck to the new service.

MO11

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Flighty wrote:
Shocked/interested to hear that multiple mainline jets used to serve these routes. They were pretty dead when they were last served in the early to mid 2000s. I am thinking B1900s half full, maybe 2 per day.

Good luck to the new service.

But back in the '60s/'70s, it was a segment on a longer route. Before Mohawk, American flew it: One-Eleven, Electra, DC-6. But is was a segment on BOS-ALB-BUF-DTW-ORD. These multi-stop trips don't exist anymore.

flyPIT

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 pm

stlgph wrote:
the OneJet twitter account has a picture of the E135. Granted, it's not a full shot, but better than nothing.

Here is another shot. Looks great:
http://www.onejet.com/service

RJNUT wrote:
to me their CJ4's are better suited for this new route which would a higher percentage of day trippers. I would think they have some current markets that would be better suited /more developed for the EMB135. It almost seems like a backwards strategy.
I agree but the link above states more routes will see the "OneJet Plus" service in 2018.

RJNUT

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 pm

@flypit

my wish list , esp. with this new A/C type
MCI-PIT, MCI-CLE
one could start a whole thread based on a ONEJET wish list alone, as it more or less is unlimited

stlgph

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:39 pm

flyPIT wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Here is another shot. Looks great:
http://www.onejet.com/service

RJNUT wrote:
I agree but the link above states more routes will see the "OneJet Plus" service in 2018.

Yeah, just saw that. Nice find. Can't wait to see what they do to do the inside.

knope2001

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I do think BUF-ALB has definite potential to support this, though getting people to change their existing travel habits is always hard.

Back in the later 90’s and early 00’s USAIrways averaged on Buffalo-Albany about 350-550 local passengers per week each direction, running 5x/day DH8 during the week. On top of that Continental Express also ran 4x/day BE1 in the market but their traffic wasn’t included in the DoT stats. So the actual local market was probably more like 550-750 per week each way.. Like a lot of short-haul business routes traffic suffered after 9/11 due to increased security and the recession, although it did not completely stop – still averaging around 315/week in 2002 for US* plus whatever CO* carried. But it was peripheral to the US network and spiraled downward like most all non-hub short hops did in those years – fewer flights, poorer schedules, followed by fewer passengers, even fewer flights and poorer schedules, etc. It’s a pattern which is very successful in driving the flying population to the highways.

Frequent travelers between Buffalo and Albany have gotten very used to driving in the past several years and it will be a challenge for them to break that inertia. I do wonder about the E135 on this route. Some business have rules excluding or discouraging business travel on very small aircraft and perhaps something like that is at play here. If just a fair portion of the old flying cohort comes back the 30-seat ER3 should do okay, but one wonders if there are other factors leading them to jump right in with the ER3.

Hopefully the are able to follow through on plans to bring OneJet Plus to other existing routes. Pittsburgh-Hartford seems especially overdue for more capacity and I’d guess it will be among the first to get the upgrade when OneJet Plus expands to PIT. I’m curious about the operating seat-mile cost difference with the upgrade. Right now they have been getting around 4-5 passengers each paying about $200-300 for a one-way hop of typically 350-ish miles. Maybe on peak times they can get 20 people paying those sorts of fares on an ER3, but maybe not at other times. They have been getting more sophisticated on yield management in their mature markets, so perhaps with the ER3 we’ll see a bigger variety of fares, including some lower off-peak one which the lower cost of a larger aircraft can support .

dmg626

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 pm

knope2001 wrote:
I do think BUF-ALB has definite potential to support this, though getting people to change their existing travel habits is always hard.

Back in the later 90’s and early 00’s USAIrways averaged on Buffalo-Albany about 350-550 local passengers per week each direction, running 5x/day DH8 during the week. On top of that Continental Express also ran 4x/day BE1 in the market but their traffic wasn’t included in the DoT stats. So the actual local market was probably more like 550-750 per week each way.. Like a lot of short-haul business routes traffic suffered after 9/11 due to increased security and the recession, although it did not completely stop – still averaging around 315/week in 2002 for US* plus whatever CO* carried. But it was peripheral to the US network and spiraled downward like most all non-hub short hops did in those years – fewer flights, poorer schedules, followed by fewer passengers, even fewer flights and poorer schedules, etc. It’s a pattern which is very successful in driving the flying population to the highways.

Frequent travelers between Buffalo and Albany have gotten very used to driving in the past several years and it will be a challenge for them to break that inertia. I do wonder about the E135 on this route. Some business have rules excluding or discouraging business travel on very small aircraft and perhaps something like that is at play here. If just a fair portion of the old flying cohort comes back the 30-seat ER3 should do okay, but one wonders if there are other factors leading them to jump right in with the ER3.

Hopefully the are able to follow through on plans to bring OneJet Plus to other existing routes. Pittsburgh-Hartford seems especially overdue for more capacity and I’d guess it will be among the first to get the upgrade when OneJet Plus expands to PIT. I’m curious about the operating seat-mile cost difference with the upgrade. Right now they have been getting around 4-5 passengers each paying about $200-300 for a one-way hop of typically 350-ish miles. Maybe on peak times they can get 20 people paying those sorts of fares on an ER3, but maybe not at other times. They have been getting more sophisticated on yield management in their mature markets, so perhaps with the ER3 we’ll see a bigger variety of fares, including some lower off-peak one which the lower cost of a larger aircraft can support .

From what I recall of the late 90’s early 2000, US airways ran 3 dash 8’s a day on weekdays as did Shuttle America with very good loads. Lots of government types on board, it made sense at the time with $59 fares or maybe a little bit more to even fly members of a school board that had a meeting in Albany so they could get there and back in the span of a workday without having to travel a day earlier for a morning meeting. Hope this works

AaronPGH

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Wow, the new livery looks GREAT!

remingtonbox

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 pm

This is smelling a lot like an airline, at what point will they have to obtain 121 status? They have airplanes bigger than 9 seats and are scheduled. Isn't that the definition of 121?

uconn99

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 pm

I remember US flying BDL-SYR/ROC/BUF up until the early 2000's as well. Maybe there is room for Onejet on these routes again?

MO11

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 am

Pretty sure OneJet gets revenue commitments from businesses before launching a route. No rolling the dice here.

remingtonbox wrote:
This is smelling a lot like an airline, at what point will they have to obtain 121 status? They have airplanes bigger than 9 seats and are scheduled. Isn't that the definition of 121?

It's a public charter that operates at the same time every weekday. Because it is a charter, the flights can run under FAR 135 with airplanes with 30 seats or less. JetSuiteX works the same way on the west coast.

knope2001

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 am

Anybody here know if OneJet has ended Nashville? It sort of seems so -- it's still on the website but you can't book even one seat on any future date. I'd guess if so the Southwest presence in PIT-BNA may have hurt yields too much.

Buffalomatt1027

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 pm

dmg626 wrote:
knope2001 wrote:

From what I recall of the late 90’s early 2000, US airways ran 3 dash 8’s a day on weekdays as did Shuttle America with very good loads. Lots of government types on board, it made sense at the time with $59 fares or maybe a little bit more to even fly members of a school board that had a meeting in Albany so they could get there and back in the span of a workday without having to travel a day earlier for a morning meeting. Hope this works

The Buffalo News / Buffalo media outlets was onto this BUF - ALB rumor a month or a couple weeks ago ..... I am sure that BUF / ALB airports and OneJet did their homework on passenger travel or potential passenger travel between the airports. A tiny charter company would NOT risk opening a small route like this without knowing they could be profitable.

CFI4LIFE

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Can anyone figure out the tail # on that A/C?

CFI4LIFE

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Fount it -- N17513

MO11

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm

CFI4LIFE wrote:
Can anyone figure out the tail # on that A/C?

N17513. Photos taken at Kingman. Contour already has two other E135s in its own colors.

ThePinnacleKid

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Always strange for me to see birds I've flown finding homes with new carriers....

I have 13 flights and just over 20 hrs in her; even flew her into Mexico twice... (all back when she was branded as Continental Express)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos