Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Capn
Topic Author

Delta LAX operations

Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:02 pm

I was wondering how DLs operations out of T2 and T3 were doing?
I had heard that there were a few issues.
I was also curious as to why they haven't done any expansion with the gates they gained from @ 16 to 23.
Thanks in advance

TATLTALE

Re: Delta LAX operations

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Fly through LAX often and can say that some things have improved: more gates and less waiting for them on landing, maybe a bit more waiting space. It's possible to connect from T2/T3 to TBInt'l but not the reverse; skyway is in the works. There are still quite a few more details to work on though: T3 can be chaotic at peak times, T2 slightly less so, and the impression is that you've stepped back into the late 1980s, but with the traffic of the 2010s. The Sky Club is sub-par, but when asked about it the supervisor told me they were aware and were working on rebuilding it completely. Delta.com shows lots of promise, but it's going to take years. Basically, it seems a multi-year process. Fortunately, I've always found Delta's personnel on the ground in LAX to be a great help and one of their best assets: always friendly, helpful, and proactive.

NZ321

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:42 pm

So what has happened to the airlines that were in T3?

winginit

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Capn wrote:
I was also curious as to why they haven't done any expansion with the gates they gained from @ 16 to 23.
Thanks in advance

Important to point out that while there has been a physical gate increase, they're now sharing their gates with VS, AM, WS and EI, so there's not nearly as much room for expansion as you might initially think looking at the raw gate numbers without bumping their daily turns per gate back to whatever astronomical number it was before the relocation. Additionally, when the actual renovation and construction begins next year I recall hearing that they'll need to take gates out of service, so that's a consideration when thinking through any expansion.

From what I hear they're reaping significant operational benefits from the move. Notable D0 improvements and a steep decline in gate hold outs.

LAXintl

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Delta is not really in a position to increase their activity much as the phased renovation which will run till 2022 will involve significant sections being closed at a time.

Its somewhat similar to what UA has done with T7/8 that almost on a permanent basis has had 2-4 gates out of service.

NZ321 wrote:
So what has happened to the airlines that were in T3?

Relocated
http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAXis ... 170418.pdf

TVNWZ

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:56 pm

I have been through twice since summer. A freakin zoo both times. Crowded, surly CSA's,---just a mess. It is now on my avoid hub list until they get the remodeling done.

obelau24

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:32 pm

I hate terminal 3 - it’s just one big, round waiting room and it’s constantly packed. The SkyClub there is also atrocious - it’s essentially a dive bar. Terminal 2 on the other hand is nicer but just as crowded. That being said, every connection I have I high-tail it to the T2 lounge which, aside from SEA, is my favorite lounge. Why? Self-serve drinks. I love that. Partially because I’m a sucker for wine and partially because I love the freedom. The staff there is nice, the views and killer, it has a showers and food. I find it better than the T6 lounge actually.

I also love the lack of Gate holds. That used to be commonplace - I’ve sat for 30 minutes before. Now every time we land, we taxi straight in. I find that amazing! And some may not really understand the big deal, but it’s so infuriating having to wait on a taxiway for who knows how long?

I will say LAX is the place to avoid for now unless you have Club access and then it’s not “so” bad.

Capn
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Has DL started using gates on the N.E. side of TBIT ?

LAXintl

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Capn wrote:

Yes since the first day, with rampside bus connection to T2/3

carljanderson

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:03 pm

cschleic wrote:
Is there a T-2 to T-3 connector inside security?

No. Just a bus.

cschleic

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:05 pm

bzcat

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 pm

cschleic wrote:

Not currently but it's part of the construction projects scheduled for the next few years that will connect T1, T2, T3 and TBIT air side.

Beatyair

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:16 pm

The other question maybe is - how are the other airlines displaced by this move doing?

jplatts

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Delta could add LAX-IAH nonstop service since Delta serves DFW, AUS, and SAT nonstop from LAX and since IAH is a major Texas destination like DFW, AUS, and SAT are. Will Delta ever add nonstop service to IAH from LAX?

WPvsMW

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm

cschleic wrote:

As LAXintl et al. said.. airside shuttle bus: T2-T3-TBIT-T3-T2...
Last edited by WPvsMW on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

masgniw

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Beatyair wrote:
The other question maybe is - how are the other airlines displaced by this move doing?

Apparently, Spirit lost a gate by going from T3 to T5. They've dropped LAX-SEA entirely, which could be due to this loss of space.

tphuang

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Spirit still has 3 gates 56, 54a and 54b. They do about 22 daily flights. I think those cuts are not due to loosing any gate

Capn
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:13 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Capn wrote:

Thanks for info, I always enjoy your posts, you are quite knowledgeable.
Does DL. use them for both int. and dom.
I guess they don't have preference on them.

American 767

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 pm

carljanderson wrote:
cschleic wrote:

No. Just a bus.

Yes but what is interesting to know is can you take that bus between T-2 and T-3 without going trough security again. What I mean is can you clear security in either terminal and transfer to the other?

winginit

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Capn wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Capn wrote:

Thanks for info, I always enjoy your posts, you are quite knowledgeable.
Does DL. use them for both int. and dom.
I guess they don't have preference on them.

DL and their partners (AM/VA) have preferential use of TBIT N Gate 133, and they use it primarily for international but there is sporadic domestic in the mix (I've seen MCO and ATL)

American 767 wrote:
carljanderson wrote:
cschleic wrote:

No. Just a bus.

Yes but what is interesting to know is can you take that bus between T-2 and T-3 without going trough security again. What I mean is can you clear security in either terminal and transfer to the other?

You can yes.

jplatts wrote:
Delta could add LAX-IAH nonstop service since Delta serves DFW, AUS, and SAT nonstop from LAX and since IAH is a major Texas destination like DFW, AUS, and SAT are. Will Delta ever add nonstop service to IAH from LAX?

Unlikely, for the same reasons they haven't added LAX-ORD. Saturated route as two legacies have a hub on each end and ULCC presence in NK.

jplatts

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:27 am

winginit wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Unlikely, for the same reasons they haven't added LAX-ORD. Saturated route as two legacies have a hub on each end and ULCC presence in NK.

While both AA and UA have hubs at both ORD and LAX, only UA has a hub at IAH. In addition, Dallas actually has nonstop service to LAX on 6 airlines, including all 3 of the big 3 legacy carriers (AA, DL, UA, and NK out of DFW and WN and VX out of DAL). Delta could make DFW-LAX nonstop service work, even with AA having hubs at both DFW and LAX and even with Southwest adding DAL-LAX nonstop service after the repeal of the Wright Amendment.

Delta might be able to make LAX-IAH nonstop service work, even though UA has hubs at both IAH and LAX, since there is less competition on LAX to Houston than there is on LAX to Dallas, since there are currently only 4 airlines with nonstop service from Houston to LAX (UA, AA, and NK out of IAH and WN out of HOU), since Delta already has nonstop service from LAX to other major Texas destinations, and since Delta would be able to connect passengers traveling between Houston and destinations in Asia and Australia through LAX if it adds LAX-IAH nonstop service.

cvgComair

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 am

TVNWZ wrote:
I have been through twice since summer. A freakin zoo both times. Crowded, surly CSA's,---just a mess. It is now on my avoid hub list until they get the remodeling done.

I could not agree more. DL's old location at LAX was really convenient and security was always a breeze. T2/3 have been nothing but a pain so far, I was through LAX 3 times this past summer and security was a mess, they never could seem to figure out TSA Pre-Check, and there is a complete lack of facilities inside the terminal. Maybe I just had bad experiences, I will give it a try again in a couple months, I do hope it improves because LAX used to be near the top of my favorite hubs list.

winginit

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:48 am

jplatts wrote:
winginit wrote:
jplatts wrote:

While both AA and UA have hubs at both ORD and LAX, only UA has a hub at IAH. In addition, Dallas actually has nonstop service to LAX on 6 airlines, including all 3 of the big 3 legacy carriers (AA, DL, UA, and NK out of DFW and WN and VX out of DAL). Delta could make DFW-LAX nonstop service work, even with AA having hubs at both DFW and LAX and even with Southwest adding DAL-LAX nonstop service after the repeal of the Wright Amendment.

Delta might be able to make LAX-IAH nonstop service work, even though UA has hubs at both IAH and LAX, since there is less competition on LAX to Houston than there is on LAX to Dallas, since there are currently only 4 airlines with nonstop service from Houston to LAX (UA, AA, and NK out of IAH and WN out of HOU), since Delta already has nonstop service from LAX to other major Texas destinations, and since Delta would be able to connect passengers traveling between Houston and destinations in Asia and Australia through LAX if it adds LAX-IAH nonstop service.

Stop this. We all get that this is what you do: make thread after thread and post after post of how carrier X should launch nonstop service between Y and Z before asking whether or not they could or will. Delta has done the modeling, and they haven't found that the nonstop service is yet viable or they would have launched it already. It's irrelevant to this thread really, as we're discussing Delta's operations at LAX.

EA CO AS

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:30 am

I’ll never understand the hatred airline enthusiasts have for T3; it’s a great spotting location, and the history of movies with an aviation theme or presence (“Airplane!” “High Anxiety,” “Midnight Madness,” etc) is amazing.

Chuska

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:57 am

I'll always have fond memories of T3 as it was, the TWA terminal.

TVNWZ

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:05 pm

I loved T3 in the TW days. And will love it again—I hope. But, right now, it is torture. When they get it all sorted, I’ll come back through..

WesternA318

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm

I connect through LAX on DL now just FOR T3! I spent quite a few Summer weeks in that Terminal with TWA and have a ton of memories. Plus...finding all the filming locations were fun too. The only thing that needs to change is the SkyCLub and their ramen noodle offerings, lol.

Nola

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:16 pm

T3 = shake shack!

Capn
Topic Author

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Does anyone know why DL hasn't started renovations yet? I thought they would start as soon as they had moved in.

usxguy

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:59 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
I’ll never understand the hatred airline enthusiasts have for T3; it’s a great spotting location, and the history of movies with an aviation theme or presence (“Airplane!” “High Anxiety,” “Midnight Madness,” etc) is amazing.

And lets not forget the views from the lounge in T3; which was once a TWA Ambassador's Club, then Alaska Board Room, to Virgin America and now Delta. I just hope Delta gutted the mens bathroom, it was utterly disgusting in there.

I wonder what happened to the Virgin A320 glass wall?

LAXintl

Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Capn wrote:
Does anyone know why DL hasn't started renovations yet? I thought they would start as soon as they had moved in.

Yes they have, but primarily all back-end stuff like admin offices and support facilities. Most front facing stuff outside the turning over the clubs from their previous owners will not really get underway until early next year.
Remember Delta made this a 5-year project, so dont expect overnight changes, but instead slow phased in modernization.

Capn
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:55 am

LAXintl wrote:
Capn wrote:

Yes they have, but primarily all back-end stuff like admin offices and support facilities. Most front facing stuff outside the turning over the clubs from their previous owners will not really get underway until early next year.
Remember Delta made this a 5-year project, so dont expect overnight changes, but instead slow phased in modernization.[/qu
Thanks for the info. I guess I am a bit disappointed,
thought they would have been more aggressive since they have undertaken such a huge move.
With such a dogfight in LAX between AA,UA, and DL. Its going to be interesting in LAX no matter who you are pulling for.
Hope you will keep up your posts, you keep us tuned in.

Capn
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:02 am

LAXintl, sorry my last post did not split my reply from yours. Hope it still makes sense.
Capn

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos