Boeing778X
Topic Author

Prime Air 767 Uses Gate At ABQ

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:17 am

I have photos, but don’t know how to upload to the forum :/

Several gates at ABQ have sat unused for many years, so this didn’t disrupt any operations, but N313AZ was sitting at gate A12 today, which is formally a Northwest slot! Very strange to see a widebody aircraft parked once again at the Sunport, especially among to sea of WN 737s ;)

Conceivably, a cargo plane can use a jetway, I suppose, but how often does it happen?

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder
Progressivism is a Cancer
Utopia is a Myth
You are not entitled to Anything

loisencroach

Re: Prime Air 767 Uses Gate At ABQ

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:33 am

All the time at ANC

Boeing778X
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:36 am

The airplane is en route to Sacramento at this point in time. Significance?

EDIT: The flight was scheduled from DFW-SMF earlier, and diverted to ABQ, according to FlightAware. Jetway for easy medical access?
Utopia is a Myth

BreninTW

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 am

I'm assuming the aircraft is coming back to the US from overseas (conversion perhaps?) -- it makes sense to park it at a gate to allow the crew to go through passport and customs controls. I guess they'd also need to file the paperwork for importing the aircraft.

Boeing778X
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 am

Utopia is a Myth

Chuska

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 am

I went down to the freight ramp to look for this aircraft. Needless to say, didn't see it. Boeing 778X, please send you photos to fsdeguio@aol.com. Thanks! Fred (Chuska)

wjcandee

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:12 am

BreninTW wrote:
I'm assuming the aircraft is coming back to the US from overseas (conversion perhaps?) -- it makes sense to park it at a gate to allow the crew to go through passport and customs controls. I guess they'd also need to file the paperwork for importing the aircraft.

Actually, 313 was converted well over a year ago; not flying back from overseas.

Boeing778X
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:23 am

Chuska wrote:
I went down to the freight ramp to look for this aircraft. Needless to say, didn't see it. Boeing 778X, please send you photos to fsdeguio@aol.com. Thanks! Fred (Chuska)

Sent you copies! Enjoy! :wave:
Utopia is a Myth

kabq737

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 am

Oh man I’m sad I missed it!!! Thanks for pointing this out and uploading the photos!!!
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 764, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E90, TRIM

wjcandee

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 am

What's of much more interest to me is that ATI crew-cab pickup truck under the aircraft in one of the photos.

ATI is the operator of N313AZ for Prime Air.

ATI doesn't currently regularly-serve ABQ, and the nearest place I can think of that they have regular operations is PHX, more than a 6-hour drive away.

The aircraft arrived at about 3AM local time, and was on the ground for almost 18 hours before departing for ONT, where ATI also has a more-substantial operation, rather than SMF. If the packages onboard were destined for SMF, albeit late, it's still a little odd that the aircraft went to ONT.

I don't know what time the photos were taken. It's light in the photos, so maybe someone from ATI did indeed drive there from, say, PHX. And maybe they brought a fresh crew (or maybe just mechanics). It the diversion was for a medical, they would be landing at the nearest airport with a nearby hospital. And the usual indicators of a medical over a mechanical -- primarily time on ground -- don't apply in a cargo operation where you're going to have to bring a new crew in from somewhere else. A passenger medical can be offloaded and the aircraft continued; in cargo, you offload one of the usually-two occupants, and the aircraft ain't going anywhere unless you're at the hub.

I suppose that it's possible that ATI is setting up a new station at ABQ for Prime Air, and this diversion was a mechanical that went there because there is already in-house service there. But that seems a longshot.

All very interesting...

wjcandee

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 am

I listened to the LiveATC archive. After landing, the crew indicates that they have no facilities there and asks for a spot to hold for a few minutes while they call the Company to find out what to do. This pretty-much eliminates the likelihood that it's a medical, as, frankly, did the communications on the way down. They said they did not need the equipment, so not a fire or the kind of mechanical that the equipment would be helpful with.

Boeing778X
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:17 am

wjcandee wrote:
I listened to the LiveATC archive. After landing, the crew indicates that they have no facilities there and asks for a spot to hold for a few minutes while they call the Company to find out what to do. This pretty-much eliminates the likelihood that it's a medical, as, frankly, did the communications on the way down. They said they did not need the equipment, so not a fire or the kind of mechanical that the equipment would be helpful with.

Definitely sounds like something abnormal happened.
Utopia is a Myth

Acey559

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 am

The aircraft lost pressurization due to an equipment cooling issue (anyone who flies the 757/767 will know what I’m talking about) and diverted to ABQ. Since we have no ground support at ABQ, the easiest thing to do was park them at the terminal while the crew went to the hotel and they fixed the issue. The aircraft again lost pressurization on the way to California, is currently the spare at ONT and allegedly fixed.

wjcandee

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:28 am

Acey559 wrote:
The aircraft lost pressurization due to an equipment cooling issue (anyone who flies the 757/767 will know what I’m talking about) and diverted to ABQ. Since we have no ground support at ABQ, the easiest thing to do was park them at the terminal while the crew went to the hotel and they fixed the issue. The aircraft again lost pressurization on the way to California, is currently the spare at ONT and allegedly fixed.

Is this the one where you lose avionics cooling, and so you also lose PFDs before the cabin depressurizes?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos