User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 13132
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Please keep the thread on topic. This is about new (or speculated new) Airbus orders at the Dubai airshow, continuing on through November 16th.

We have forum rules for a reason:
forumrules.php

Discuss the topic not the poster.
It is worth reviewing the first three forum rules:
Please respect the opinions of others and choose your words wisely. Each user has their own point of view, and these views must be respected.
Please word all criticism, whether of another user's opinion, a photograph, crew member, a political topic, etc., in a constructive manner. Criticism which serves no purpose other than to incite or insult other members will be deleted and your account possibly suspended.
If a topic becomes a debate, you may debate the subject itself but not the credibility or intellect of other members.

This is a topic on Airbus orders and speculative orders
Offending posts will be deleted and repeating offenders may be banned, so please avoid personal attacks and off-topic posts on personal brand preference in particular
Forum Moderators
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
User avatar
caoimhin
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:30 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 pm

Was the other thread deleted in its entirety? The Boeing thread as well?
 
Jayafe
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 pm

caoimhin wrote:
Was the other thread deleted in its entirety? The Boeing thread as well?


viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1378545 (It would be nice to have the links to the Part1s in the first post, in case)
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 13132
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 pm

I'll add the links to the other threads:
old airbus thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1378545

<i> Airbus today announced an order for 20 A321neos from Wataniya Airways</i>
https://leehamnews.com/2017/11/14/egypt ... more-25350
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
fcogafa
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:20 am

 
User avatar
MoKa777
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:47 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:40 am

These articles and another one or two I saw, state that it is an MOU for 25 A320neos:

http://m.atwonline.com/aircraft-orders- ... 5-a320neos

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... llion-deal
Never be proud. Always be grateful.
 
downdata
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 am

Airbus Nears Deal for 430 Jets With Indigo Partners.

The transaction, one of the biggest aircraft sales in history, is set to be announced Wednesday at the Dubai Air Show.

The upgraded single-aisle jet would go to airlines in Indigo’s investment portfolio: Frontier Airlines, Mexico’s Volaris, European carrier Wizz Air Holdings Plc and upstart JetSmart, which began operating this year in Chile, the people said.


https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... o-partners

Impressive if signed tomorrow. Leary is going out with a bang.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 13132
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:16 am

downdata wrote:
Airbus Nears Deal for 430 Jets With Indigo Partners.

The transaction, one of the biggest aircraft sales in history, is set to be announced Wednesday at the Dubai Air Show.

The upgraded single-aisle jet would go to airlines in Indigo’s investment portfolio: Frontier Airlines, Mexico’s Volaris, European carrier Wizz Air Holdings Plc and upstart JetSmart, which began operating this year in Chile, the people said.


https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... o-partners

Impressive if signed tomorrow. Leary is going out with a bang.

That would be an outstanding way to exit.

This is the first I've heard of the deal and the only link I could find is the one you supplied.
That said, if signed tomorrow, an order for 430 aircraft easily 'wins the airshow.'

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
Bricktop
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:26 am

I hope this turns out. Nice that Enders and Bregier left town to let JL get the glory all to himself.
 
Bricktop
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:29 am

I also wonder if this is an announcement brought forward from the fifth quarter as something of a face saver for Airbus at the DAS. Sledgehammer meet walnut, if so.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:16 am

downdata wrote:
Airbus Nears Deal for 430 Jets With Indigo Partners.

The transaction, one of the biggest aircraft sales in history, is set to be announced Wednesday at the Dubai Air Show.

The upgraded single-aisle jet would go to airlines in Indigo’s investment portfolio: Frontier Airlines, Mexico’s Volaris, European carrier Wizz Air Holdings Plc and upstart JetSmart, which began operating this year in Chile, the people said.


https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... o-partners

Impressive if signed tomorrow. Leary is going out with a bang.
That seems like a hugely aggressive order. Don't these airlines already have something like 200 NEO's already on order?
 
CHI87LG
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:46 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 am

The A320 series proves to be the golden cash cow that could, but the A380 is on its last legs. It's an interesting time. The strength of the A320 series will be more apparent in 20 years when we're still talking about its latest iteration with plastic wings and electric engines...
 
flyabr
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:42 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 am

Add in a hundred or so DL orders before year's end, and Airbus will have done fine this year! :D
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:16 am

Man is Indigo aggressive with these orders, I'll be very interested in seeing what happens in the next decade regarding them.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 am

ikolkyo wrote:
Man is Indigo aggressive with these orders, I'll be very interested in seeing what happens in the next decade regarding them.


Isn't this 'Indigo Partners' and not 'Indigo Airlines', the Bloomberg article seems to differentiate them, is Indigo Partners a separate company to the airline or is it the owner? I'm very confused!
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:27 am

MrHMSH wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
Man is Indigo aggressive with these orders, I'll be very interested in seeing what happens in the next decade regarding them.


Isn't this 'Indigo Partners' and not 'Indigo Airlines', the Bloomberg article seems to differentiate them, is Indigo Partners a separate company to the airline or is it the owner? I'm very confused!


Indigo Partners is a firm that has stakes or owns, Frontier, Wizz and more airlines., I know the aircraft will be allocated across those airlines but I'm still interested in seeing if all of them get delivered.
Last edited by ikolkyo on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
MD80MKE
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:26 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 am

Indigo Partners, which is a U.S. firm, has nothing to do with India's IndiGo airlines. They are completely unrelated.
 
User avatar
Finn350
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 am

According to the Bloomberg article, the aircraft would go to airlines in Indigo’s investment portfolio: Frontier Airlines, Mexico’s Volaris, European carrier Wizz Air Holdings Plc and upstart JetSmart.

Indigo Partners is not related to the Indian budget carrier IndiGo.
 
KrustyTheKlown
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:45 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:20 am

An order for 430 A32X NEOs makes me suspect this is the bundling of old orders for PR purposes, just like the recent China-Boeing order announcement.
 
KrustyTheKlown
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:45 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:27 am

CHI87LG wrote:
The A320 series proves to be the golden cash cow that could, but the A380 is on its last legs. It's an interesting time. The strength of the A320 series will be more apparent in 20 years when we're still talking about its latest iteration with plastic wings and electric engines...


Plastic wings: sure.
Electric engines: hell no.

If we see an electric or hybrid-electric aircraft within the next 20 years it will be designed for electric engines from the ground-up. Bolting electric engines to an old aircraft will very likely result in a poorly optimized design.
 
CHI87LG
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:46 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:29 am

Ok, you're right. Hybrids, then. ;)
 
User avatar
Brixerl
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 am

qf789 wrote:
Boeing Summary up to 31 October 2017

BOEING
Cancellations 85


qf789 wrote:
Airbus summary of orders up to 31 October

AIRBUS
Cancellations 55


Like Scorpio says:
Quote out of orders-2017-thread - cancellations seem to be indeed similar at Boeing and Airbus.
Respected members: airmagnac, ap305, enzo011, KarelXWB, keesje, lightsaber, longhauler, masi1157, mfranjic, parapente, Polot, rotating14, speedbored, Stitch, tommy1808, Wiederling, zeke
 
User avatar
A330freak
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:13 am

Airbus confirming that Indigo Partners has signed a MoU for 430 A320neos. 430 aircraft, wow.
Image
https://twitter.com/Airbus/status/930694171324768256
 
User avatar
A330freak
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:23 am

Here's the breakdown of aircraft between airlines


-Frontier: 100 A320neo, 34 A321neo
-JetSMART: 56 A320neo, 14 A321neo
-Volaris: 46 A320neo, 34 A321neo
-Wizzair: 72 A320neo, 74 A321neo

https://twitter.com/RAeSTimR/status/930696421791191040
 
george77300
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:27 am

Brixerl wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Boeing Summary up to 31 October 2017

BOEING
Cancellations 85


qf789 wrote:
Airbus summary of orders up to 31 October

AIRBUS
Cancellations 55


Like Scorpio says:
Quote out of orders-2017-thread - cancellations seem to be indeed similar at Boeing and Airbus.


However some of those are swaps. Eg 737NG to MAX Boeing counts as a cancellation and re order. This happens with the 320ceo to neo as well.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A388

B712 B733 B734 B735 B738 B742 B744 B752 B763 B772 B77E B773 B77W
 
chiki
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 am

A330freak wrote:
Here's the breakdown of aircraft between airlines


-Frontier: 100 A320neo, 34 A321neo
-JetSMART: 56 A320neo, 14 A321neo
-Volaris: 46 A320neo, 34 A321neo
-Wizzair: 72 A320neo, 74 A321neo

https://twitter.com/RAeSTimR/status/930696421791191040

Wizz Air is this in addition to the 110 A321 Neo or its a reconfiguration of the same order
 
ap305
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2000 4:03 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:34 am

Airbus forecast in 1987 was for 800 a320 sold over its life.... today they sold more than half that.
 
User avatar
juliuswong
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 am

Wow, just what happened? I left airliners.net for few mins, this came about! Congratulation to IndiGo and Airbus! What a comeback despite all the doom and gloom from naysayers!

Is this single largest order for A320neo family in one announcement?

From history, AirAsia placed an order for 200 A320neo back in 2011. In June 2012, a top-up order of 64 was made. Another 40 A320neo was booked when they converted remaining A320ceo on order to neo, total of 304 A320neos.

IndiGo (India) placed an order for 150 A320neo back in 2011, top up again in 2014 with another 250 A320neo. Total of 400 A320neo.
Last edited by juliuswong on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
pugman211
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 am

To put this order in context, that amount of aircraft is nearly 1 years production in one order! That's a huge amount to the backlog.
 
Momo1435
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 am

The Airbus press release reads as it's a framework deal. Indigo Partners has placed this MoU to get a very good price and now the different airlines within the group can firm up their part when they need to do this. A bit like the Chinese orders, but then with more freedom for the individual airlines.
 
chiad
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:04 am

Must I remind all that eventhough this is an awesome commitment, it's "just" that ... an MoU, not a firm order.
I know most MoU's are being firmed up but it can, in some cases, take years. I doubt that we will see this in the backlog of 2017, but how great it would be if we did.
Anyway ... congrats to Airbus. This was really "needed" and I'm smiling again.
 
User avatar
juliuswong
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 am

chiad wrote:
Must I remind all that eventhough this is an awesome commitment, it's "just" that ... an MoU, not a firm order.
I know most MoU's are being firmed up but it can, in some cases, take years. I doubt that we will see this in the backlog of 2017, but how great it would be if we did.
Anyway ... congrats to Airbus. This was really "needed" and I'm smiling again.

It may happen in last few days of December.....maybe after Boeing announced their year end closing. Hahaha!
 
User avatar
flyingphil
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:56 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 am

Indigo Partners is an American Private equity company - no relation to IndiGo (India)

I was confused too
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 am

Wizz Air has been doing good since 2 to 3 years, now with the A321neos coming, I am sure they will add more destinations. This will be a big game changer for them.
 
chiad
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 am

juliuswong wrote:
chiad wrote:
Must I remind all that eventhough this is an awesome commitment, it's "just" that ... an MoU, not a firm order.
I know most MoU's are being firmed up but it can, in some cases, take years. I doubt that we will see this in the backlog of 2017, but how great it would be if we did.
Anyway ... congrats to Airbus. This was really "needed" and I'm smiling again.

It may happen in last few days of December.....maybe after Boeing announced their year end closing. Hahaha!


Yes, the infamous 5th quarter. Cross my finger for that.
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:06 am

The weird thing is that the Indian Indigo Airline also has a total of 430 orders of A320neo and A321neo combined and now this American Indigo also has 430 orders.

So basically Airbus has got 860 orders from Indigos
 
RalXWB
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:36 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 am

Congratulations to Airbus and all those Airlines for their commitment to this great aircraft. Seems like the demise of Airbus is not imminent :white:
 
Noshow
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 am

Nothing against planned orders but MoUs are no orders. This goes for A and B. This is just vaporware until firmed up.
 
Momo1435
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 am

Egyptair and AerCap also announced a deal for the lease of 15 A20neo's


"AerCap and EGYPTAIR Reach Agreement on the Lease of 15 Airbus A320neo Aircraft"

http://www.aercap.com/newsroom/press-re ... 0neo-aircr
 
User avatar
piedmontf284000
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:40 am

With all due respect to Airbus and John Leahy, but this MoU from Indigo Partners was about saving face. They came to Dubai with all their corporate honchos to sign EK up for a massive A380 order, and everyone assumed the deal was in the bag. John Leahy was going to extend the A380 program and it was going to make major headlines. Then EK flipped, ordered 787-10's and made the Airbus bigwigs look for the nearest exit . John Leahy was able to get an order of 25 aircraft from Wataniya, but it did very little to reverse the negative publicity. So he got on the phone and started doing what he does best, making deals, and found a savior in white garments...Indigo Partners. This MoU has stopped the bleeding and actually created some very good headlines, which in my opinion, is what this was all about. Time will tell if Indigo Partners sign on the dotted line, but more then likely, it won't be for the amount of aircraft they are currently slated for. Right now though , it doesn't matter. They have made the EK/A380 nightmare go away and actually made history, for now, as the largest aircraft order ever. Quite a difference 48 hours makes.
 
tvh
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:41 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:48 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
With all due respect to Airbus and John Leahy, but this MoU from Indigo Partners was about saving face. They came to Dubai with all their corporate honchos to sign EK up for a massive A380 order, and everyone assumed the deal was in the bag. John Leahy was going to extend the A380 program and it was going to make major headlines. Then EK flipped, ordered 787-10's and made the Airbus bigwigs look for the nearest exit . John Leahy was able to get an order of 25 aircraft from Wataniya, but it did very little to reverse the negative publicity. So he got on the phone and started doing what he does best, making deals, and found a savior in white garments...Indigo Partners. This MoU has stopped the bleeding and actually created some very good headlines, which in my opinion, is what this was all about. Time will tell if Indigo Partners sign on the dotted line, but more then likely, it won't be for the amount of aircraft they are currently slated for. Right now though , it doesn't matter. They have made the EK/A380 nightmare go away and actually made history, for now, as the largest aircraft order ever. Quite a difference 48 hours makes.


a 430 aircraft order cannot just be a magic trick. Thought only a mou it is still a larger order than 40 380's. Saving the 380 may save a lot of faces, 430 a320 will give airbus more jobs and profit.
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 25521
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 am

Noshow wrote:
Nothing against planned orders but MoUs are no orders. This goes for A and B. This is just vaporware until firmed up.


True. But if we take into account that 99% of all MoUs ever signed get turned into a firm order, this deal may be as good as a done deal.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
mat66
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:12 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 am

Nice surprise here. I like to know what that means for Frontier. Quite a lot of growth. They must plan to grow out of Denver to other parts of the country. There aren't that many people living in the rockies.

Also would have been nice if there were some CS300 in the mix, not many, just like 100 or so :)
 
WIederling
Posts: 4365
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:58 am

Noshow wrote:
Nothing against planned orders but MoUs are no orders. This goes for A and B. This is just vaporware until firmed up.


MoU is an MoU nothing less. nothing more.

I have a more negative opinion on those mushrooming anonymous orders
and their clandestine conversion to "assigned" orders without taking reference to the original announcement.
Schummelpackung.
Murphy is an optimist
 
mat66
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:12 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 am

tvh wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:
With all due respect to Airbus and John Leahy, but this MoU from Indigo Partners was about saving face. They came to Dubai with all their corporate honchos to sign EK up for a massive A380 order, and everyone assumed the deal was in the bag. John Leahy was going to extend the A380 program and it was going to make major headlines. Then EK flipped, ordered 787-10's and made the Airbus bigwigs look for the nearest exit . John Leahy was able to get an order of 25 aircraft from Wataniya, but it did very little to reverse the negative publicity. So he got on the phone and started doing what he does best, making deals, and found a savior in white garments...Indigo Partners. This MoU has stopped the bleeding and actually created some very good headlines, which in my opinion, is what this was all about. Time will tell if Indigo Partners sign on the dotted line, but more then likely, it won't be for the amount of aircraft they are currently slated for. Right now though , it doesn't matter. They have made the EK/A380 nightmare go away and actually made history, for now, as the largest aircraft order ever. Quite a difference 48 hours makes.


a 430 aircraft order cannot just be a magic trick. Thought only a mou it is still a larger order than 40 380's. Saving the 380 may save a lot of faces, 430 a320 will give airbus more jobs and profit.


I totally agree. For the first time I think it might not be the worst idea to close down the A380. You can build a lot of A320 in that massive FAL in Toulouse. I really like the A380 but is it really worth it to bow to Emirates to that extend (and still loose money)?
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 25521
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
So he got on the phone and started doing what he does best, making deals,


Aircraft deals of this magnitude do not happen overnight.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
piedmontf284000
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 am

KarelXWB wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:
So he got on the phone and started doing what he does best, making deals,


Aircraft deals of this magnitude do not happen overnight.


No doubt, but that doesn't mean that a deal that is in the works, can't suddenly be made public for the reasons I spoke of. Hence the MoU. There are still a lot of details to be worked out in this deal...A LOT.
 
User avatar
anfromme
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
With all due respect to Airbus and John Leahy, but this MoU from Indigo Partners was about saving face. [...] So he got on the phone and started doing what he does best, making deals, and found a savior in white garments...Indigo Partners.


As KarelXWB already pointed out: Orders of this size do not simply happen overnight.
Even an order of 5 A320neo from an existing operator doesn't happen overnight.
Furthermore, you can safely assume that no order gets canned just because the kinks didn't get sorted in time for a signing ceremony at a trade show. It's happened to A and B that an expected announcement didn't come to pass and instead happened at another time.
Which means that EK and Airbus will continue negotiating about that A380 order and probably come to some sort of agreement. If I was to put money on it, before the year is out.
42
 
User avatar
anfromme
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:20 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
No doubt, but that doesn't mean that a deal that is in the works, can't suddenly be made public for the reasons I spoke of. Hence the MoU. There are still a lot of details to be worked out in this deal...A LOT.

You're changing your statements here - you initially said Leahy got on the phone and started selling in order to save face.
Now you're saying they possibly just pulled the MoU announcement forward to have some good news for the show as the expected A380 order hadn't happened.

The latter sounds a lot more plausible than the former - I still don't buy it, though.
Because to be honest, an air show is a pretty good place to announce the biggest single commitment in aviation history, regardless of whether another expected order has come to pass or not.
So if I was to put money on it: Announcing that massive MoU in Dubai was probably the plan all along.
42
 
Bricktop
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Dubai Air Show 2017 - Airbus Orders pt 2

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 am

Bricktop wrote:
I also wonder if this is an announcement brought forward from the fifth quarter as something of a face saver for Airbus at the DAS. Sledgehammer meet walnut, if so.

I am more convinced of this now in light of the big 737 Max order from FlyDubai. The optics out of this show would have been really dreadful for Airbus without this rabbit popping out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos