Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Spirit Adds CMH-MCO/FLL/RSW/LAS/TPA/MSY/MYR

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:08 pm

MCO, FLL, RSW, LAS, TPA begin February 15th, MSY, MYR begin March 22nd.

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-relea ... twork.html

chalupas54

Re: Spirit Adds CMH-MCO/FLL/RSW/LAS/TPA/MSY/MYR

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Do we think this could adversely influence WN at CMH? CMH isn’t really an important WN market, and passenger numbers at CMH are down. I️ fear that WN could axe some overlap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msycajun

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm

I think the bigger question is how G4 will react. NK is providing access to the preferred airports - CMH over LCK, MCO over SFB, TPA over PIE, and more frequency.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:35 pm

chalupas54 wrote:
Do we think this could adversely influence WN at CMH? CMH isn’t really an important WN market, and passenger numbers at CMH are down. I️ fear that WN could axe some overlap.

WN is the largest airline at CMH and they talked earlier this year during the 25th anniversary stuff about wanting CMH to be one of their "Hometown Airlines". They also said they'd add CMH-LGA if they had the slots.

Something might have to give, but I don't figure it'll be WN. I would guess F9 or DL's seasonal point-to-point flying, maybe.

brooklynchris13

chalupas54 wrote:

On what do you base your assessment? WN has a very good presence at CMH, as the #1 or #2 carrier, with over 30 daily flights and has recently added service to CUN, HOU, MSY, and returned their 4th daily MCO flight? In addition, they have expanded their advertising in the Columbus market. Overall traffic in CMH is still upward and generally has been for WN as well.

In terms of the bigger impact, I agree that I think this has more aim at Allegiant at LCK than WN or the other CMH carriers. The other one I will be very curious about is F9- their reduction to LAS and MCO seems to have opened a window for Spirt and they are going to take advantage of it.

Congrats to CMH...

Jshank83

Wow, that is a big start! Congrats to CMH

chalupas54

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:42 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
chalupas54 wrote:

On what do you base your assessment? WN has a very good presence at CMH, as the #1 or #2 carrier, with over 30 daily flights and has recently added service to CUN, HOU, MSY, and returned their 4th daily MCO flight? In addition, they have expanded their advertising in the Columbus market. Overall traffic in CMH is still upward and generally has been for WN as well.

Congrats to CMH...

In the grand scheme, especially with the plane shortage, WN has many other markets that are larger than CMH. It’s just a concern that these smaller markets like Columbus risk getting routes axed much easier than larger ones.

Jshank83

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 pm

chalupas54 wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:
chalupas54 wrote:

Congrats to CMH...

In the grand scheme, especially with the plane shortage, WN has many other markets that are larger than CMH. It’s just a concern that these smaller markets like Columbus risk getting routes axed much easier than larger ones.

I don't think it will effect WN much there. WN probably has decent loyalty already and if needed it can probably price match longer than Spirit can and push it or F9 off a route. I think like others mentioned it will have a bigger impact on F9 and G4. Some of those routes go head to head to F9 and I could see just one surviving in the end on each route.

boscmh

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Any idea what gate/concourse NK will be using at CMH? Or where their ticket counter will be? I could see them going into A or B, both have a couple open spots I think

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:16 pm

boscmh wrote:
Any idea what gate/concourse NK will be using at CMH? Or where their ticket counter will be? I could see them going into A or B, both have a couple open spots I think

I'm going to guess their counter will be where the "Charters" desk (with the CRAA-style graphics) is between UA and WN, unless they chop off a section of somebody else's counter as they did with DL for OneJet.

A1, B36, C46-48 are open right now (though OneJet uses C48 for their two flights). A1, B36, and C48 need jetways.

boscmh

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Is anyone using A7? I wonder if OneJet could move, (or why they weren't placed there already?) since they don't require a jet bridge

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:36 pm

boscmh wrote:
Is anyone using A7? I wonder if OneJet could move, (or why they weren't placed there already?) since they don't require a jet bridge

WN might use that parking area as a swing gate (for lack of a better term) where the A6 jetway could do both flights- Google Maps shows there's a parking line there and I think I've seen planes parked there at times.

Then again, Google Maps shows a gaggle of baggage carts there, so I could be wrong. I wonder if the lower level seating area USAir Express used is still there.

TerminalD

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:47 pm

DeltaRules wrote:

Good for CMH. I may be crazy, but I think this further weakens CAK for NK. CAK-FLL/TPA/RSW were pretty weak according to T100. FLL, in particular. I don't think this helps much. It's only a 90 minute drive between.

phluser

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:57 pm

TerminalD wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Good for CMH. I may be crazy, but I think this further weakens CAK for NK. CAK-FLL/TPA/RSW were pretty weak according to T100. FLL, in particular. I don't think this helps much. It's only a 90 minute drive between.

I was thinking the same thing, that CAK might be cut with it bracketed with CLE and CMH. On another note, I wonder if Spirit will add seasonal DFW service like it does from PIT and CLE, and if F9 at CMH will become as minor as it is in PIT.

I'm kind of surprised Spirit added CMH over STL though, as STL has a larger population catchment.

boscmh

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:04 pm

I think there's room for F9 to still be successful at CMH if they differentiate themselves more. They've been strong on DEN, and it will be interesting to see how AUS does next year. I'd love to have Frontier try some routes similar to those at CVG and CLE - like LGA, SAN, JAX, etc.

msycajun

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Odd that they made the announcement with no announced schedules and Columbus doesn't even show up for sale on their website yet.

TWA1985

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:30 pm

It looks like they also are adding daily ORD-PBI service as well.

Dominion301

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 pm

TerminalD wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Well with G4 leaving YNG, that probably long-term helps NK at CAK. Remember NK are still relatively new to CAK. They pretty much have the LCC/ULCC place to themselves now.

flymco753

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:40 pm

TWA1985 wrote:
It looks like they also are adding daily ORD-PBI service as well.
That was announced a few months ago.

lakeeffect

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
TerminalD wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Well with G4 leaving YNG, that probably long-term helps NK at CAK. Remember NK are still relatively new to CAK. They pretty much have the LCC/ULCC place to themselves now.

This will mean CMH, CAK, CLE, PIT, and LBE will all have NK service. That seems like a lot of stations in a relatively small geographic area considering NK’s overall route network. I believe CAK will be the smallest of the bunch as their current summer 2018 schedule is only a 3x weekly flight to MYR and a daily MCO flight.

drdisque

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:56 pm

NK doesn't need much counter space since they use self-tagging kiosks. Look at their counter at PIT for an example of what they're doing these days where they're able.

evank516

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:10 pm

And Skybus..erm...I mean Spirit finds another place to grow.

flymco753

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:14 pm

evank516 wrote:
"AirTran"

ADrum23

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 pm

So CMH apparently was one of their two new domestic stations they planned to announce. What will the other city be?

Jshank83

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
So CMH apparently was one of their two new domestic stations they planned to announce. What will the other city be?

The person who said CMH also said MKE so I'll lean towards that for now

jplatts

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Frontier has already discontinued DFW-MKE nonstop service and Southwest is going to be discontinuing DAL-MKE nonstop service on March 7, 2018, and AA will be the only airline to serve MKE nonstop from either Dallas airport after March 7, 2018. Spirit could add DFW-MKE nonstop service if if is going to be starting service out of MKE. In addition, Southwest is currently the only airline to have nonstop service from MKE to Washington, D.C. with nonstop service to both BWI and DCA from MKE. Spirit could also add BWI-MKE nonstop service if it is going to be adding service to MKE.

I think that Spirit adding MKE could happen in the near future, and I could definitely see Spirit adding nonstop service to DFW from MKE if Spirit plans on serving MKE.

TerminalD

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:55 pm

lakeeffect wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
TerminalD wrote:

This will mean CMH, CAK, CLE, PIT, and LBE will all have NK service. That seems like a lot of stations in a relatively small geographic area considering NK’s overall route network. I believe CAK will be the smallest of the bunch as their current summer 2018 schedule is only a 3x weekly flight to MYR and a daily MCO flight.

CAK - You are the weakest link!

brooklynchris13

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:29 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
boscmh wrote:

WN might use that parking area as a swing gate (for lack of a better term) where the A6 jetway could do both flights- Google Maps shows there's a parking line there and I think I've seen planes parked there at times.

Then again, Google Maps shows a gaggle of baggage carts there, so I could be wrong. I wonder if the lower level seating area USAir Express used is still there.

Any morning I leave CMH on the first flight to DCA or CLT there are always two WN aircraft parked at A6. One is in the traditional A6 position, the other where A7 would have a jetway if it did. I also did not notice until yesterday that there is a door missing a jetway on C. (C48 I believe.) With that many flights from Spirit, I think they may end up needing two gates, so I do not know how they add without adding a bridge. I never fly DL so I am never in C, could they add a bridge at C48 and operate along with One Jet out of C47/C48? Going to be interesting to see how it all pans out.

jordanh

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:31 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
"AirTran"

"Air Koryo USA"

ADrum23

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Wow, CMH and MKE before AUS, BNA, STL, IND, RDU, etc. Definitely did not see that coming.

Midwestindy

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:36 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Wow, CMH and MKE before AUS, BNA, STL, IND, RDU, etc. Definitely did not see that coming.

Rumors are rumors, anything can change, up until a few days ago I heard it would be BNA, STL, or IND so anything can change....

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:49 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
boscmh wrote:

Any morning I leave CMH on the first flight to DCA or CLT there are always two WN aircraft parked at A6. One is in the traditional A6 position, the other where A7 would have a jetway if it did. I also did not notice until yesterday that there is a door missing a jetway on C. (C48 I believe.) With that many flights from Spirit, I think they may end up needing two gates, so I do not know how they add without adding a bridge. I never fly DL so I am never in C, could they add a bridge at C48 and operate along with One Jet out of C47/C48? Going to be interesting to see how it all pans out.

C48 was C2A before the renumbering when C was extended. It was added later, had a jetway, and usually was used by Delta Express flights.

I guess they could move OneJet to the old C1A, which was a door and stairs leading to the ramp used by Delta Connection flights between C1 (now 46) and C2 (now 47) pre-2002. Call it C47A or something since it's in the same gate area.

toltommy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 am

boscmh wrote:

Gotta wonder which low bidder will do their ground handling as well...

WNflyer1523

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 am

Wow! They dove into CMH like F9 and ISP. Best of luck.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:00 am

I just noticed that NK will essentially have five destinations year-round, as MSY and MYR are immediately replaced by TPA and RSW. If the schedule repeats in 2019, there'll be about a two week gap between the end of the Florida flights and resumption of MSY and MYR.

SunsetLimited

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 am

The CMH-MSY flight continues to MCO as the same flight number, and vice versa, thus giving more flight options in the CMH-MCO market.

DeltaRules
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 am

I wonder if NK might rent a second gate on an as-needed basis. CMH's gate usage is as follows:

A:
WN- A2, A3, A4, A5, A6
Vacant- A1 (needs a jetway), A7 (basement gate designed for USAir Express)

B:
AA- B19, B20, B21, B22, B23, B24, B25, B26, B28 (there is no B27)
UA- B29, 30, 31, 32, 34
AC- B30
F9- B35
Vacant- B36 (needs jetway, has two parking lines)

C:
Vacation Express- C47
J1- C48
DL- C49, C50, C51, C52, C53, C54, C55, C56
Vacant- C46 (FIS; Vacation Express, DL, and WN will probably use for arrivals), C47, C48 (by way of the fact J1 could probably be easily relocated, also needs jetway)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos